The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Gay Idol Journal - Week 7 (Gloria Estefan)"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

TODDLJ 421 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

05-01-04, 01:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TODDLJ Click to send private message to TODDLJ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Gay Idol Journal - Week 7 (Gloria Estefan)"
1. LaToya London
From head to toe this week, LaToya was an unqualified hit, and has earned ‘Diva of the Week’ status by a huge margin over the other five pretenders. In a delicious crimson-hued knee-length crepe halter dress, tied at the neck with a feminine satin ribbon, girlfriend was sexy and sophisticated, and had a very Spanish feel that tied into this week’s theme. She chose a dress that would flow with her movement, and this number afforded her the opportunity to show off her confident and polished (did you expect anything less from LaToya?) dance skills. But it’s the attention to detail that really brought the whole look together. The strappy heels, multiple bracelets, chandelier earrings, and glowing metallic-toned eyeshadow, all in shades of bronze, were absolutely spot-on. You go girl! (And thanks for going back to the lovely wavy Halle-Berryesque pixie cut that we loved so much in week one!)

2. Jasmine Trias
I must tell you, girl gets lovelier every week. Sure, her voice doesn’t get any better, but this column is all about image, and Jasmine is getting so drop-dead gorgeous as the weeks go by, soon she won’t have to sing at all to earn my kudos. (If they can make Paula Abdul and Madonna sound good in a studio, they can certainly make Jasmine sound good as well.) Her sleek flatironed hair, natural makeup, and gorgeous straight white teeth are a sight to behold. The flower, thankfully no longer behind her ear, drifts lower on her body each week. (This week, it was at her waistline, in a very ‘Sex in the City’ touch.) Her black silky cowl-neck top, and black silk ¾ cargo pants were trendy without being annoying, and the white camisole tank which covered (shockingly enough) the majority of her navel, was a step in a more adult direction. I also admit to loving the multi-strap rhinestone bracelet, and the pointy black strappy heels. Let me tell you, the finals are on their way, and Jasmine has brought it!

3. John Stephens
Well, I have two words to describe my feelings this week about John’s ouster. ‘THANK GOD!’ You all know how I’ve felt about this redheaded stepchild from day one. His vocals this week were nothing short of horrendous… but to be fair… this column has never been about vocals alone. I must admit this week, much to my chagrin, that he seems to have found a real sense of style. I, in fact, loved his black and white pointy leather shoes (and wonder where I might pick up a pair for myself.) I also loved the combination of his faded jeans and his dapper textured-stripe charcoal jacket. The glossy black dress shirt, untucked of course, capped the ensemble off perfectly. Way to go out in style, John!

4. Diana Degarmo
Diana was the fourth best this week, but with the remaining competition, that’s not saying much. Let’s start, as Simon likes to do, with the good. The dress, from the waist up, was lovely. The spaghetti straps and shirred crepe fabric, and the vibrant red color, were very flattering and perfect for this week’s theme. Her sleek blonde hair was understated this week (not overstyled like previous weeks) and her gold heels were lovely. Most importantly, her aggressive take-no-prisoners performance was confident and strong, and very Diva-like. Now, here’s the bad… her ‘dreamcatcher’ earrings were ridiculous… but that’s the least of her problems. The big Fashion Citation moment? The bottom half of the dress, which was gradated from red to pink, was absolutely atrocious, and made the lower half of her body look perhaps twice as big as it actually is. (Let’s be clear… in Diana’s case that’s not a good thing.) And what was up with the multiple thigh-high slits? I kept wondering if I was looking at Diana’s dress… or if I was going through a $3 mechanical carwash.

5. George Huff
Another uninteresting outfit choice for George. Is the stylist trying to make him lose? This week, he wore what appeared to be a colorless beige Members Only jacket (If Members Only jackets have come back in, it’s news to me. And not GOOD news, either) over a dull gray T-shirt, with bland pale baggy jeans. (I just got a little sleepy describing the whole thing.) The only interesting item in his ensemble was the pointy beige leather shoes. What happened to George’s funky style? If he wants to stand out, he’s going to have to choose clothing that doesn’t blend so easily into the background. His voice is distinctive, and his image should be as well.

6. Fantasia Burrino
I must admit, I had to watch Fantasia’s performance back in slow motion, with my hands over my eyes in horror, like I was slowly passing a multiple-injury accident on the freeway. Someone, somewhere, in the name of all that is good and true, should have told Fantasia to WEAR A BRA. As the bounced about the stage in a blue/yellow/black low cut dress, screaming ‘We love you Jennifer,’ I kept thinking one or the other of those pointy things was going to leap out at the camera and wink at me. Thankfully, there was no wardrobe malfunction, but the damage was done nonetheless. I am scarred for life.

There are certainly some who will scoff at my use of shallow, surface attributes to judge our Idol Finalists. I say, to those who scoff, they can all kiss my tanned, hairless, Stairmaster-toned a$$.

Larry Johnson is a comedy writer, currently working for Disney TV. Look for his weekly commentary from a gay point of view. Please check out his website, http://www.gaycomedyjournals.com/

Cumulative Rankings:
1. LaToya London 1.9 (2, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 1)
2. Jasmine Trias 3.3 (1, 4, 3, 6, 5, 2, 2)
3. Fantasia Burrino 4.1 (5, 5, 7, 5, 1, 4, 6)
4. George Huff 4.1 (3, 3, 5, 4, 7, 6, 5)
5. Diana Degarmo 6.4 (9, 8, 6, 7, 4, 7, 4)

R.I.P.:
6. John Stephens 6.9 (7, 9, 10, 9, 6, 5, 3)
7. Jennifer Hudson 2.5 (4, 2, 4, 1, 3, 1)
8. Jon Peter Lewis 4.5 (6, 6, 1, 3, 8)
9. Camille Velasco 8.9 (11, 11, 9, 8)
10. Amy Adams 8.3 (10, 7, 8)
11. Matt Rogers 11 (12,10)
12. Leah LaBelle 8 (8)

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 7 (Glor... shedevil 05-01-04 1
   RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 7 (Glor... stormysatan 05-03-04 9
 RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 7 (Glor... idlegossip 05-01-04 2
 RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 7 (Glor... Chrissy gal 05-01-04 3
 Great!!! Goooey_Alley 05-01-04 4
 RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 7 (Glor... ValleyGirl 05-01-04 5
 RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 7 (Glor... qwertypie 05-01-04 6
 RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 7 (Glor... rjrabbit 05-01-04 7
 RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 7 (Glor... strid333 05-02-04 8
 RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 7 (Glor... Breezy 05-03-04 10
 RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 7 (Glor... anotherkim 05-03-04 11

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

shedevil 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-01-04, 02:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 7 (Gloria Estefan)"
I agree with most of what you said but here's how I liked their wardrobe:
1. Fantasia (Yes she needed a bra in a bad way but I loved her outfit and make-up)
2. Latoya
3. John
4. Jasmine
5. George
6. Diana

stormysatan 90 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-03-04, 10:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail stormysatan Click to send private message to stormysatan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 7 (Gloria Estefan)"
I agree with you on Fantasia. I thought she looked good with her bright yellow dress.
However, I would have put my ranking as follows:

1. Jasmine
2. Fantasia
3. Latoya - not too impressed with her hair and with the color of her dress. Her performance was not as good
4. John
5. George
6. Diana

idlegossip 116 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-01-04, 03:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail idlegossip Click to send private message to idlegossip Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 7 (Gloria Estefan)"
Larry,

Thanks for getting this up so fast! I feel like I got a double dose now, and it's so entertaining, I look forward to each one!

I wish Fantasia had been dressed a bit more conservatively, too. I remember thinking exactly what you thought about a wardrobe malfunction. I think Fantasia has gotten prettier each week, but she's also getting kind of scattered. Her shout to Jen was nice, but I think it took away from her performance.

I like LaToya, but it just seems that it's expected that she will walk with the title, and that she expects it, too. I feel like she's just waiting patiently for everyone else to be booted. She sings, she smiles at the comments, and that's it.

Poor George.

Thank God John is gone!

Jasmine looks and sounds great, if she could only get through a song without fading out or going flat.

Poor Diana.

Simon was quoted in an msn article that he thinks it will come down to LaToya and Diana. He said if it were based on talent, it would be LaToya and Fantasia, but he doesn't think America will vote that way. I prefer your fashion rankings. At least LaToya isn't ALWAYS in the top.

(We gotta b*tch or we'll explode!)

Chrissy gal 1413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-01-04, 03:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Chrissy%20gal Click to send private message to Chrissy%20gal Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 7 (Gloria Estefan)"
That was great Larry, especially the part about Fantasia! Thank you for posting your critique, it brings a little ray of sunshine to this dreary season.

Goooey_Alley 425 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

05-01-04, 04:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Goooey_Alley Click to send private message to Goooey_Alley Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Great!!!"
Good thing that you also noticed the Fantasia's horrifying flip-flop... I thought I was way too desperate for thinking it's just my hallucination...

The Horror... The Horror...

ValleyGirl 377 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-01-04, 05:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ValleyGirl Click to send private message to ValleyGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 7 (Gloria Estefan)"
I agree, LaToya looked the best, sang the best and is the best.
Avoiding any wardrobe malfunctions, she should take the AI title.

whoops!

qwertypie 9776 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-01-04, 05:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 7 (Gloria Estefan)"
Loved it! I would have put Diana at the bottom tho' as her crepe paper streamer skirt (I think your cash wash analogy was much better) was much too long and way to distracting for me and just WRONG to even remember the others' fashion transgressions.
La Vida es un Tango!

rjrabbit 3269 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-01-04, 07:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rjrabbit Click to send private message to rjrabbit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 7 (Gloria Estefan)"
I looked forward to these every week. Thanks for getting this out so quickly!!

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-02-04, 01:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 7 (Gloria Estefan)"
Great as always. Have to admit what you say about Fantasia. The only thing I was thinking of when she wore that outfit was, "Is she trying to be Britney or Christina?" And believe me, that is not a compliment.

Three is the perfect number. RMNW!

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

05-03-04, 12:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 7 (Gloria Estefan)"
Thankfully, there was no wardrobe malfunction, but the damage was done nonetheless. I am scarred for life.

I think we were all scarred with you.

Great job Larry!

Just say no to trolls.

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

05-03-04, 10:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Gay Idol Journal - Week 7 (Gloria Estefan)"
Bravo and right on the mark, although I think Diana was way scarier than you described it. Fantasia's boobs must still be hurting from all of that action.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--Diana needs to lose the beauty pagent hair and fast.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •