The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"isn't it a reality show"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

azublu 17 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-30-04, 05:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail azublu Click to send private message to azublu Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"isn't it a reality show"
Has anyone noticed that the american idol show is not providing as much info. about the contestants behind the scenes?!? I remember in the first season they informed america about all the rewards the contestants were recieving, such as the shopping spree for the top ten and the cars they gave them and footage of the house they put them in! There was even footage of the top ten packing their bags in their very own bedrooms of their home towns! They minimized it last season and this season I haven't seen anything about what the contestants have won or how they are when they're in that big house together! I'm interested! It seems like this season it's strictly about the contest! But isn't it a "reality show"?!?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: isn't it a reality show rjrabbit 04-30-04 1
   RE: isn't it a reality show shedevil 04-30-04 3
 RE: isn't it a reality show Ricky 04-30-04 2
   RE: isn't it a reality show shedevil 04-30-04 4
   RE: isn't it a reality show rjrabbit 04-30-04 5
 It's about the MONEY!!!!!! Jumboto 05-01-04 6
   RE: It's about the MONEY!!!!!! shedevil 05-01-04 7
       RE: It's about the MONEY!!!!!! JOSHIDOL 05-03-04 8
           RE: It's about the MONEY!!!!!! shedevil 05-03-04 9
               RE: It's about the MONEY!!!!!! JOSHIDOL 05-04-04 11
                   RE: It's about the MONEY!!!!!! okaychatt 05-04-04 15
   RE: It's about the MONEY!!!!!! rjrabbit 05-04-04 23
 RE: isn't it a reality show bob_chester 05-03-04 10
   RE: isn't it a reality show JOSHIDOL 05-04-04 12
       RE: isn't it a reality show Bebo 05-04-04 13
           RE: isn't it a reality show JOSHIDOL 05-04-04 14
       RE: isn't it a reality show bob_chester 05-04-04 16
           RE: isn't it a reality show JOSHIDOL 05-04-04 18
               RE: isn't it a reality show curveball 05-06-04 26
           RE: isn't it a reality show DmajA 05-06-04 25
       Confidentiality contracts frankz 05-04-04 17
           RE: Confidentiality contracts Trisha61 05-04-04 19
               RE: Confidentiality contracts zombiebaby 05-04-04 20
                   RE: Confidentiality contracts frankz 05-04-04 22
       You really think so? Handola 05-04-04 21
           RE: You really think so? hunniebunns 05-05-04 24
           RE: You really think so? bob_chester 05-06-04 27
               RE: You really think so? anninvt2002 05-07-04 28
 RE: isn't it a reality show SeacrestOut 05-07-04 29
   RE: isn't it a reality show azublu 05-07-04 30
       RE: isn't it a reality show SeacrestOut 05-07-04 31

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

rjrabbit 3269 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-30-04, 05:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rjrabbit Click to send private message to rjrabbit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: isn't it a reality show"
I agree. In season 2 they had some girl on there (when they first moved into the house) who was suppose to come back and give us updates on what was going on in the house and she never came back. They never explained what happened and why they decided not to give us info on what was going on back at the house.

shedevil 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-30-04, 05:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: isn't it a reality show"
I wouldn't mind seeing footage on what goes on in the house, I'm nosey what can I say.

Ricky 1106 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-30-04, 05:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ricky Click to send private message to Ricky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: isn't it a reality show"
There's a special AI on Monday at 8PM that claims to get "intimate with the final 5". Maybe that show will have more info.

04-30-04, 05:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: isn't it a reality show"
There's a special AI on Monday at 8PM that claims to get "intimate with the final 5". Maybe that show will have more info.

Thanks for the heads-up. It's too bad I have no interest in the people that are left but it's good for those who do care about the final 5.

04-30-04, 05:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rjrabbit Click to send private message to rjrabbit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: isn't it a reality show"
Thanks!! I hadn't heard about that. I'll be watching.

Jumboto 38 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-01-04, 09:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Jumboto Click to send private message to Jumboto Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "It's about the MONEY!!!!!!"
Why show clips of the contestants doing normal stuff when you can see them doing what they really do.........
Absolutly loving the Ford Focus!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, I didn't watch the first two seasons so I'm no expert. I get kind of suspicious when I see clips focus too much on certain contestants. That coupled with the judges comments, I feel, the network could easily steer the competion.

05-01-04, 09:31 AM (EST)
7. "RE: It's about the MONEY!!!!!!"
Anyways, I didn't watch the first two seasons so I'm no expert. I get kind of suspicious when I see clips focus too much on certain contestants. That coupled with the judges comments, I feel, the network could easily steer the competion.

You're probably right. I didn't think of that.

JOSHIDOL 275 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

05-03-04, 05:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JOSHIDOL Click to send private message to JOSHIDOL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: It's about the MONEY!!!!!!"
Hi SheDevil..
I read an article today from a journalist in Syracuse who said she thinks they are trying to manipulate people into voting this year.
She has 3 sources who attend the weekly sessions and she said last week when George performed everyone was up out of their seats dancing, etc. They did this on their own without any coaxing from the network employees.
She said when Diana got up before they told the studio audience to get up and sing and dance, keep moving.. throughout the entire performance they were prompting the audience on what to do..
Why do you think this is???
Because Simon wants a Diana Latoya final.
This was so obvious to me last week too, the next night when they did the group performance, notice how they showcased Diana??
Well if that is the case and they are somehow manipulating the contest then they won't survive much longer on the air, especially after their credibility is questioned...

05-03-04, 05:59 PM (EST)
9. "RE: It's about the MONEY!!!!!!"
Hi JoshIdol. I noticed that Diana was being "showcased", I really didn't think she sounded that great, not bad but not great. The judges will always manipulate the voters and the audience but we can really only place blame on those who are easily led. I have a mind of my own so I only vote on who sounds good to me, not what the judges say or who gets the most spotlight. I don't care for anyone that's left. Latoya is a good singer but is boring, Fantasia is entertaining but doesn't sing as good as Latoya. Diana shouts more than she sings, Jasmine sings out of tune more than she sings in tune and George sings good but hasn't sounded very good for the last 3 weeks. How do you feel about who's left? I don't see the talent of Kelly or Clay in any of the remaining finalists.

05-04-04, 09:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JOSHIDOL Click to send private message to JOSHIDOL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: It's about the MONEY!!!!!!"
I agree with everything you said but I am still pulling for George becasue he is such a nice, sincere guy. He seems really happy to be there and not sitting up there expecting to be there.
I am not impressed at all with Diana and Jasmine and yes it is noticeable how they showcase her but you are so correct in voting for who we want.
Latoya is a good singer but she leaves a lot to be desired in the personality dept. She almost comes off as being snobby if you ask me.
At firrst Fantasia worked on my nerves but I am starting to see a different side of her. I like Fantasia and George but of course we know it will probably come down to Diana and Latoya since that is what Simon wants.
I just hope Jasmine goes next.

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-04-04, 10:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: It's about the MONEY!!!!!!"
Agreed. Jasmine is the only one I couldn't live with as AI.

05-04-04, 08:03 PM (EST)
23. "RE: It's about the MONEY!!!!!!"
"I didn't watch the first two seasons so I'm no expert. I get kind of suspicious when I see clips focus too much on certain contestants. That coupled with the judges comments, I feel, the network could easily steer the competion"

During the first two seasons they showed footage of the contestants inside the house they're living in doing things like playing pool, fixing breakfast, throwing people into the swimming pool, etc. It was never focused on any one contestant. It was interesting seeing what they do when their not singing. They didn't do nearly as much advertising the first season. I think as the show goes along, the producers are thinking why show this behind the scenes stuff when we can shoot a comercial and charge some company millions to showcase their product.

bob_chester 243 desperate attention whore postings

05-03-04, 10:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bob_chester Click to send private message to bob_chester Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: isn't it a reality show"
I do not think AI is a reality show, I think it is just a game show. The auditions to make the final 32 are like the “Gong Show” except there is no gong!.
I think that the final 12 of the show should be renamed American Karaoke. That is what it is. Contestants are asked to sing previously recorded songs and the music is played for them.

I agree that it appears that the AI judges and the producers influence the voting to the person they want to win. They are pretty obvious about it. The winner is picked before the finals start. Then the rest of the final 32 is filled out with people they think they America will like but are not good enough to win. Many talented people are turned away and to be honest most really talented people will not sign the AI contract because it is too restricted. That is why we ended up with such mediocre talent this year. They have Latoya and the 11 wannabes.

Diana may win, did you notice how they only dress slammed her dress this week? (she did have the best performance this week.) I think they are trying to push Diana now to cover up for the Jennifer, Fantasia and Latoya setup. They originally try to manipulate it so the three “divas” (what a joke) can be in the top three to make Latoya shine when pitted against the other two less talented singers. They were really good getting the guest judges to go along and convincing people that these people are talented. Some people are so gullible. It is so hilarious. I love watching this show even if it is not a reality show.

05-04-04, 09:44 AM (EST)
12. "RE: isn't it a reality show"
I agree with what you say 100%. They set out this year to make Latoya the winner.
They are now setting up the Diana Latoya showdown with Latoya winning.
However, we are looking at the other contestants as Karaoke, don't you find it strange that in the beginning of this season George was picking fabulous songs and he was great, he from what I understood got the most votes for 2 of the weeks.
Then all of a sudden his song selections change and he gave sub par performance although last week he was not bad.
They sing confidentiality contracts and I still say after watching this year that the show is manipulated and we have no clue about the voting. They dod not release figures, they won't even tell you who does the tallying.
Well I can tell you what after this year next year will not be the same. I think they are losing their touch and its so obvious that Simon is the ultimate one to pick the winner, its his record company I had heard.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-04-04, 10:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: isn't it a reality show"
Simon is the ultimate one to pick the winner, its his record company I had heard.

Different Simon. The Simon whose record company offers the contracts is Simon Fuller, the producer of the show.

Snarky, smart, S7 Anti-Bootee Champ and YOUR American Idol.

05-04-04, 10:23 AM (EST)
14. "RE: isn't it a reality show"
I had read that Simon has an interest in this record company..

05-04-04, 10:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bob_chester Click to send private message to bob_chester Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: isn't it a reality show"
I was wondering that. Who does pick the songs? Sometimes they elude that the contestants pick them out themselves and on other times it appears that they are picked for them. They are never really said for sure. I have read that they have a limited selection because AI has to pay for the right to use the songs and some artist will not allow their songs to be on the show.

05-04-04, 12:05 PM (EST)
18. "RE: isn't it a reality show"
You know what I realized and I find this so strange is that year after year these contestants are singing the same songs from Season 1 & 2. Not all the time but many for example
George sang "Against all Odds" and last season Corey Clark sang it.
Diana Degarmo, Turn the Beat around-Carmen last year.
George-Aint to proud to beg-ruben sang it.
Lets see tonight on Big Band night how many contestants will do Route 66, Minnie the moocher, At last. a house is not a home, etc.
I wonder if American Idol only has the rights to certain songs and that is why we are starting to hear the same songs over???
No wonder sometimes the song does not suit the voice.

curveball 225 desperate attention whore postings

05-06-04, 05:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail curveball Click to send private message to curveball Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: isn't it a reality show"
AI has to pay for a contestant to use the song, so they try to use songs they know they can get, I'm sure. For example, Ms. Twain won't let them use her songs at all... between the "theme" and the "rights" I'm sure they have a limited number of songs to choose from. Also another reason they like to do the Barry Mannilow night, etc, prob got to pay a lot less for those songs, etc.

-cb

DmajA 31 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

05-06-04, 05:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DmajA Click to send private message to DmajA Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: isn't it a reality show"
I was in NYC the week after JPL got kicked off, and he was a guest on FOX news channel's live broadcast show, and I was in the audience, so I saw him up close and personal...and he was saying that they get to pick the songs. They give them the genre, but from there, they can pick anything. He said that for his song picks, he would go through the artists' greatest hits album and pick something.

frankz 1214 desperate attention whore postings

05-04-04, 10:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frankz Click to send private message to frankz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "Confidentiality contracts"
John S was on David Letterman last night (well sorta, David interviewed him in the deli downstairs via camera, not even live in the studio with him). David kept trying to get John to sing and John kept saying he can't due to the guy off-camera making the throat-slashing gesture. So they do apparantly have restrictions on when and where they can "perform". Probably only on Fox. So David did mention that when John finished his AI Tour that maybe he could come back and actually sing. I'm sure they have restrictive contracts but they are limited. I mean they can't tie them up forever.

Trisha61 13 desperate attention whore postings

05-04-04, 01:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Trisha61 Click to send private message to Trisha61 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Confidentiality contracts"
John sang with Regis on his show yesterday. I believe he will be on ET singing tonight...

Tonight is Conan O'Brien stop for him.

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-04-04, 02:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Confidentiality contracts"

Tonight is Conan O'Brien stop for him.

That should be funny...did anyone see Conan's bit on why he was still(at the time) on AI? Because he looked like Conan. The resemblence is uncanny!

frankz 1214 desperate attention whore postings

05-04-04, 05:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frankz Click to send private message to frankz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Confidentiality contracts"
Hmm, then I don't get it. He would not sing one single note, kept looking very uncomfortable whenever Dave would try to get him to ("So what do you sing in the shower? Can you sign a little bit"? or "So do you have a girlfriend? What do you sing to her? Can you do a little for us real quick?"). And I don't think Jon is that good of an actor, he was clearly put on the spot and kept having to deny Dave's request. Anyway, it was odd.
And yep, Conan should be quite humorous tonight.

Handola 54 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-04-04, 04:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Handola Click to send private message to Handola Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "You really think so?"
LAST EDITED ON 05-04-04 AT 04:03 PM (EST)

You guys really think they're pushing for a Diana win? I seem to remember Simon telling her repeatedly that she's too young. He didn't really give her a good compliment until the Barry Manilow night when she sang One Voice. She's just okay. They seem more enthusiastic about Fantasia, overall (in addition to LaToya). Diana is so fake- I feel like Simon can see that with some of the comments he has made about her perkiness, etc. It seems like you pay more attention to the details than myself, but I don't think the judges or producers are throwing Diana out there to be number one or two, and I certainly hope that she doesn't win because I am just not impressed with her. In fact, I find her annoying and she has rarely been error-free.

Maybe I'm letting my own opinion of her cloud my ability to see what you are talking about! I'll check it out tonight.

I hope you're wrong!
Peace.

hunniebunns 119 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-05-04, 05:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail hunniebunns Click to send private message to hunniebunns Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: You really think so?"
I tend to agree with you, Handola. I really feel like Simon hasn't been pushing a Diana win. More often than not, he has critized her, her perkiness, and her High School renditions of songs...Simon said last night that he feels like this should be a Fantasia and LaToya final...(of course, I'm paraphrasing)

One can only hope...

05-06-04, 10:53 PM (EST)
27. "RE: You really think so?"
The big thing is La Toya. That is obvoius they be set this up for her to win.
It is one big comercial for her album. Except they forgot one thing. She is boring everybody. It takes more then a great voice to sell a CD.

More ramblings. My friend at fox told me this.
When it gets to the final 2 it will be close no matter who is there.
One of the things AI does is each phone number has a limited number lines connected to it. I don't know how many phone lines there are on each number let say it is 100.

On the 1st week of the final 12 each contestant has one number with 100 lines each. This makes a total of 1200 lines.
Then each week they elimated one contestant and 1 number.

For example on week five 5 numbers with 100 each. 500 lines.
They don't reallocate the lines to the other numbers.

That makes the final 2 will have only 200 lines.
That is why the voting gets closer and the lines get harder to get through on as the show progresses.
That is why last year it was so close between Clay and Rueben.
Should be interesting this year.

I don't have a favorite except that I hope Amercia screws them up. Fantasia would probably sell more CDs then La Toya becuase she is more interesting. ( I know I am not the 1st to say that, I just agree with who said it 1st>)
Me I don't care I will be laughing my butt off and there is a lot to laugh off!
They deserve it for picking such mediocre talent for the final 32.
Have a good one!

anninvt2002 86 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-07-04, 08:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail anninvt2002 Click to send private message to anninvt2002 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: You really think so?"
I couldn't agree more except I think La Toya has some class like Whitney Houston pre Bobbie Brown days. I could hardly wait to buy tickets to the summer concert last year with all the hype and talent (and did not regret one cent of the $300 per ticket to sit in the 3rd row) but nothing sparks me this year to even think about going. Maybe poor ticket sales will help them pick bette talent. Even scooter girl would have been better than most of the top 12.

SeacrestOut 22 desperate attention whore postings

05-07-04, 09:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SeacrestOut Click to send private message to SeacrestOut Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: isn't it a reality show"
Yes, it is a reality show. A reality show about a real competition to become the most famous singer in America. Maybe they don't get too deep into their lives off that stage because everyone on the show this year is dull, boring and otherwise not worth wasting time watching. What are we going to see? Fantasia feeding her toddler dinner? Jasmine and Diana doing their high school homework? LaToya on the phone with her husband and listening to her stepchildren scream "You're not my real mom!" at her? No thanks. I'll just stick with the performances. If you want to hear the real story of 7 strangers who have to live together, than watch the Real World. It's on an hour after Idol.
PS- I hate Frankie

azublu 17 desperate attention whore postings

05-07-04, 01:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail azublu Click to send private message to azublu Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: isn't it a reality show"
Absolutely hilarious!!! You definately have a point which I had not thought of! Thanx for making me laugh out loud, here in my little cubicle!

SeacrestOut 22 desperate attention whore postings

05-07-04, 07:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SeacrestOut Click to send private message to SeacrestOut Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: isn't it a reality show"
LAST EDITED ON 05-07-04 AT 07:44 PM (EST)

You're quite welcome. I do what i can.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •