The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Source Code is RED HERRING!!!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

sleeeve 3456 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

03-09-01, 11:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Source Code is RED HERRING!!!"
I'm a new poster, but I couldn't stand idly by and read...

A few thoughts on why we should take the source code (http://survivor.cbs.com/primetime/survivor2/show/episode07/final.htm) with a grain of salt (see post: Holy #&@&!)...

First, if you look back at previous pages (http://survivor.cbs.com/primetime/survivor2/show/episode06/final.htm) this format is NOT used in the source code... why would the programmers decide to add it here, after the seventh episode???

Reason #1) The programmer responsible for updating the site is lazy, and wanted to create a form to allow them to update the site faster... I tried to modify the source code, and found that it took about 65 seconds to update the source code from week 6 (the old way) vs. about 20 seconds to update the source code from week 7 (the new way) to include the newest bootee. Is 45 seconds per week really so important as to risk giving away the final two??? As a web page programmer myself, I know that any programmer, particularly one charged with keeping a multi-million dollar secret, would know that the source code of any web page is viewable by the public. It only took me an additional 60 seconds to add Elisabeth and Amber to the alphabetical list, thus eliminating any chance that this multi-million secret would be leaked. So, either the programmer is lazy or stupid (or both) and we've discovered the series spoiler to beat all spoilers, OR...

Reason #2) This is in fact an elaborate red herring placed on the CBS website by none other than Mark Burnett. We all know about the fake Gervase pic from last season, so MB couldn't try anything THAT obvious again. Thus, he talks to his programmers: "Is there any way we can make it appear that we're leaking the final two names, accidentally?", and his programmers come up with hiding it in the source code...

Did anyone other than me notice that during the website's weekly update last week, most of it went at an average speed, but the final words page and the chat page took an unusually long time to update... I thought that this was odd... They had to change the graphics on every other page (changing tribal colors from blue, green to orange), but even the most complicated page on the site (the tribal council voting history page) was updated faster that these two extremely simple pages. At first I thought that the web content producers had not had the chance to transcribe Jeff's final words yet, but why would they write the entire episode story, complete with pictures, but not transcribe Jeff's 30 second speech??? Answer: source code had to be changed for these pages to include this misinformation.

But, many people say "I would never think to check the source code for a page for spoiler information," and maybe this was a risk MB was willing to take. However, I have a different opinion:

We're all pretty confident that MB has a mole, posting misinformation on at least one, if not all of these sites. If that is true, then the source code should have been removed/modified hours ago when the story first broke and the mole read it, contacted CBS, and warned them... but it's still there.

Thus, my theory is that MB's mole (or MB himself???) broke this story to the message boards!!! Then, CBS will leave the source code on just long enough that a number of people see it and start spreading the rumor, before removing it and swearing it was just a programming glitch... just watch-- gone by tomorrow.

A final thought... if I were MB, and I were trying to keep a secret of this proportion, would I trust my web designers with information that they do not need to add to the website for weeks??? Would I allow them to know the final two, when I've protected the winner with a lock and key??? I certainly wouldn't!!! I'd tell them who gets the boot a day or two before each episode to let them get a jump on the programming, but that's it!

Summary: (sorry so long)... source code is a red herring... Elisabeth and Amber will NOT be in the final four, but will survive at least one, if not two more episodes, so that we all believe that we've figured it out... then we'll be shocked (just like last season w/ Gervase) when one of them suddenly gets the boot.

Perhaps this is too big of a conspiracy, perhaps CBS programmers did make a mistake... we'll just have to wait and find out. Any other opinions???

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Source Code is RED HERRING!!! soulSurvivor_23 03-09-01 1
 RE: Source Code is RED HERRING!!! sleeeve 03-10-01 2
 RE: Source Code is RED HERRING!!! BBop 03-10-01 3
 RE: Source Code is RED HERRING!!! Rich Hatch 03-10-01 4
 RE: Source Code is RED HERRING!!! SurvivinDawg 03-10-01 5
   RE: Source Code is RED HERRING!!! sleeeve 03-10-01 6
       RE: Source Code is RED HERRING!!! Kokoro 03-10-01 7

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

soulSurvivor_23 84 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

03-09-01, 11:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail soulSurvivor_23 Click to send private message to soulSurvivor_23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Source Code is RED HERRING!!!"
Although this is only my second desperate attention whore post, I agree with sleeeve. It was too easy to just click on the View Source bar and be able to exploit every post of the Outback's final words. Is it more likely or unlikely that the web designers would post everything weeks ahead of time?
Unless MB is planning some sort of psychology where we immediately dismiss the source code and it turns out to be right, I don't see it happening. But, Tina, as proved in the POLITICS preview, does not have the Immunity Talisman around her neck, if that means anything...
I certainly hope that the source code isn't a red herring, since Elisabeth is America's Sweetheart (mine, too) and Amber doesn't nearly bounce out of her Barramundi tube top while serving as a jury member.
Too bad Debb doesn't have anymore friends for her theory.
---soulSurvivor_23---

03-10-01, 02:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sleeeve Click to send private message to sleeeve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Source Code is RED HERRING!!!"
I've been thinking about this a little more tonight, and there's only one reason that I can come up with that MB would post this as a red herring...

We're about to see the Kucha Klan voted off one by one, and he's deserately hoping that we'll stay tuned to see some sort of new alliance form, taking Liz and Amber to the top...

I really hope I'm wrong about this... don't want a bunch of "which Kucha goes next" episodes, but I'm afraid that may be what's headed our way.

BBop 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-10-01, 02:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BBop Click to send private message to BBop Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Source Code is RED HERRING!!!"
... There is already a big thread about this in this forum ...

Rich Hatch 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

03-10-01, 03:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Rich%20Hatch Click to send private message to Rich%20Hatch Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Source Code is RED HERRING!!!"
You must be right! At first I didn't believe your theory. But it's been over 8 hours now since the story broke, and still the CBS site hasn't been fixed. This is a MB plant if I ever saw one!

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-10-01, 02:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Source Code is RED HERRING!!!"
LAST EDITED ON 03-10-01 AT 02:25 PM (EST)

I guess we'll see if it's a red herring. As I said on another thread, if it IS a red herring, I'd love to meet whoever had the brains to think of it.

But I do (respectfully) disagree with some of the things you've posted, to wit:
1) CBS will NOT, I say again, NOT change that page now that the story has broken, at least not right now. If they did, it would be a sure sign of guilt. Better to leave it as is and let us THINK it's a herring than to suddenly take it down.
2) Slower updates? The chats don't happen for three or four days after the show airs, so it's no surprise they are slower. As to the final words page being slower, I did not detect it being updated any more slowly than anyone else.
3) As to this being such a tightly held secret: a lot of people MUST know. Cameramen, producers, film editors, etc. It would be no stretch to think that they're preparing ahead on their web pages.

I personally think they messed up and forgot. It's so easy to forget and it took this long to even find it (although I admit that the mole idea "exposing" this is a point in your favor). But we'll see.

Edit: More on the "mole" theory: I do think MB has moles, and if the source code is a genuine mistake then I would fully expect MB's moles to be out here saying that it's a red herring. No, not accusing any individual of being a mole, but it's the tactic I'd take if I were MB and somebody had messed up....

03-10-01, 03:34 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Source Code is RED HERRING!!!"
1)First of all, since I believe that it IS a red herring, I think that they will take it down to make themselves look guilty, cementing our belief that it's real.

2)I got a phone call right in the middle of Jeff's final words Thurs, so I kept checking the page to read them since I missed them on TV... they had the story up 8 minutes after the episode (PST), the tribal council voting history up a little after that, and all of the other pages... I kept checking to monitor their progress... but it took FOREVER for them to post the final words page... not sure why, could be their update order, but there seemed to be a long pause in between the other pages and the final words page... A thought: they were uploading the video clips that are linked to the various pages??? Not sure, anyway, in hindsight, a little suspicious.

Also, it didn't take "this long" to find it... if you look at previous final words pages and chat transcript pages, you'll see that they did NOT have a list of survivors... this list (with Elisabeth's and Amber's names missing) is new this week, and it was found within 24 hours of it being added to the website... coincidence? luck? or a plant by a MB mole???

Kokoro 3899 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

03-10-01, 11:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Kokoro Click to send private message to Kokoro Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Source Code is RED HERRING!!!"
Maybe there are moles here....but really, they're not necessary. First of all there are no mistakes, at least not on television and even if some message board came up with something like this, who would believe it (esp after last season)? We (the internet Survivor community as a whole) aren't really as important as some people advocate.

"Oh my God! Meatball subs! I love those! Oh my God!" - "That skinny chick"'s most memorable line

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •