The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-23-04, 03:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
I have two items that I'd like to share with you all.

1) The number of posts in this forum ... and the wide gulf between those people who want to bash the contestants and those who like them ... has brought us to the point of splitting this forum. We had planned to hold off doing that until after AI3 was over, but we have had some feedback indicating that the sooner the split takes place, the better.

Our first thought is to put up a "Fanatics" and "Bashers" forum. Those forum titles do NOT mean that only positive items should go in Fanatics and everything negative must go in Bashers. Instead, they symbolize a difference in mindset about the show. Posts that LOVE the show and really care about what happens -- even if the post says, "How can those sucky, talentless so-and-sos still be here when Jennifer is gone?" -- should go in Fanatics. Posts with an "attitude" -- snarky, sarcastic, etc. (like me about Barry Manilow) -- should go in Bashers.

We think this will hold down some of the conflict that has been arising. If you have different (or even better) ideas, please post them in this thread -- but as of today, the split will be Fanatics and Bashers. (By the way, the "Spoiler" posts on show nights should go in Fanatics, in case you were wondering.)

2) Like many of you "old-timers," I dislike the proliferation of duplicate threads. However, that doesn't mean that we need to comment on those threads, except for a mod to note that they are duplicates and to lock them. PLEASE, just make an alert about the post and let the moderators (sleeeve, Webby and me) handle it.

I've been on message boards where there was an intense "new vs. old" mentality, and I've never liked it. I hope we don't fall into that same trap. In that vein, I want to share with you part of an e-mail that I received from a relatively new poster, expressing just a little frustration:

"I have never seen ... people who are ALWAYS butting in to the new people's posts to dictate. THIS should be in an established thread, YOU NEED TO READ THE GUIDELINES, etc, etc.

"Granted, there are a bunch of idiots out there, and there need to be guidelines to keep them in line, but ... I would think that if the duplicate thread thing wasn't such a big deal, many of these self-appointed thread police wouldn't know what to talk about anymore. Your guidelines mean well, and they are simple enough to follow, but maybe a few changes might alleviate some of this constant tension."

I'm afraid that this person may be making good points. Nevertheless, I'm going to continue to lock most threads that I think are duplicates ... but that's a call that I (and the other mods) have to make. Please help us do that by "alerting" duplicate posts WITHOUT otherwise commenting on them. Thanks.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... strid333 04-23-04 1
   RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... AyaK 04-23-04 2
       RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... stormysatan 04-23-04 6
           RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... greenmonstah 04-23-04 7
               RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... strid333 04-23-04 19
                   RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... littlemisssmartypants 04-23-04 27
                       RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... greenmonstah 04-23-04 29
                           RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... littlemisssmartypants 04-23-04 36
 Thanks! greenmonstah 04-23-04 3
   RE: Thanks! RealityAddict 04-23-04 8
       RE: Thanks! greenmonstah 04-23-04 11
           RE: Thanks! Sagebrush Dan 04-23-04 12
               RE: Thanks! greenmonstah 04-23-04 15
 RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... true 04-23-04 4
   RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... minkey 04-23-04 18
 RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... qwertypie 04-23-04 5
   RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... Sagebrush Dan 04-23-04 13
       RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... qwertypie 04-23-04 32
           RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... AZ_Leo 04-23-04 34
               RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... qwertypie 04-24-04 49
   RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... strid333 04-23-04 20
       Please, no! AyaK 04-23-04 37
           RE: Please, no! strid333 04-24-04 54
 RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... J Slice 04-23-04 9
 RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... rjrabbit 04-23-04 10
 RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... Sagebrush Dan 04-23-04 14
 Professional Scapegoat Here! MTW1961 04-23-04 16
   RE: Professional Scapegoat Here! Sagebrush Dan 04-23-04 35
 RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... idlegossip 04-23-04 17
   The carryover from Off-Topic AyaK 04-23-04 43
   RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... okaychatt 04-24-04 62
   RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... Handola 04-26-04 76
 RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... Chrissy gal 04-23-04 21
   Alternatives AyaK 04-23-04 40
       RE: Alternatives Chrissy gal 04-23-04 44
           Exactly AyaK 04-24-04 58
               RE: Exactly rjrabbit 04-24-04 70
           RE: Alternatives okaychatt 04-24-04 63
       RE: Alternatives brvnkrz 04-23-04 45
           RE: Alternatives AZ_Leo 04-23-04 48
               So what's the difference? shedevil 04-24-04 50
                   Examples Mysterious Jedi 04-24-04 52
                       RE: Examples shedevil 04-24-04 53
                           RE: Examples rjrabbit 04-24-04 65
                               RE: Examples shedevil 04-24-04 68
               RE: Alternatives okaychatt 04-24-04 64
       RE: Alternatives So_Opinionated 04-24-04 55
       RE: Alternatives Devious Weasel 04-26-04 75
 RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... Ricky 04-23-04 22
   RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... Chrissy gal 04-23-04 23
       RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... greenmonstah 04-23-04 24
       RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... ginger 04-23-04 25
           RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... Chrissy gal 04-23-04 39
               See post #40 AyaK 04-23-04 41
 RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... brvnkrz 04-23-04 26
   RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... greenmonstah 04-23-04 28
       RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... brvnkrz 04-23-04 30
           RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... greenmonstah 04-23-04 31
   RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... rjrabbit 04-23-04 33
 RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... zombiebaby 04-23-04 38
   RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... rjrabbit 04-23-04 42
       RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... calamityc 04-23-04 47
           RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... mrc 04-24-04 57
 Thanks, Ayak anotherkim 04-23-04 46
   RE: Thanks, Ayak goDAWful 04-24-04 51
       RE: Thanks, Ayak mahjonger 04-26-04 74
 RE:the "thread police" probably clueless 04-24-04 56
 RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... joannie 04-24-04 59
   RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... minkey 04-24-04 60
 RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... okaychatt 04-24-04 61
   RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... Chrissy gal 04-24-04 66
 RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... GrendelsMom 04-24-04 67
   RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... volsfan 04-24-04 69
 Bump SurvivorBlows 04-26-04 71
   RE: Bump idlegossip 04-26-04 72
 RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... Breezy 04-26-04 73
   An argument in favor of topic-based AyaK 04-26-04 78
       Topic based Breezy 04-27-04 79
       Board Suggestion ElroyJetson 04-27-04 80
       RE: An argument in favor of topic-b... opinionated 05-02-04 82
           RE: An argument in favor of topic-b... shedevil 05-02-04 83
 RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... mrc 04-26-04 77
 RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... idlegossip 05-02-04 81
 RE: AI forum split ... and the "thr... Bebo 05-03-04 84

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

04-23-04, 04:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
Cool! When is this going to take place? And when Canadian Idol takes place, do we just pretend the word American means Canadian and go into bashers and/or fanatics?

Three is the perfect number. RMNW!

04-23-04, 04:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
When is this going to take place?

As soon as Webby can find the time to do it.

When Canadian Idol takes place, do we just pretend the word American means Canadian and go into bashers and/or fanatics?

Yes. Isn't that what most Canadians say anyway -- all of us in North America can call ourselves Americans, and people in the U.S. are being piggy when they try to hog the term for themselves?

stormysatan 90 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-23-04, 05:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail stormysatan Click to send private message to stormysatan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
Is Canadian Idol being broadcast in the US?

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 05:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
No. Is American Idol being braodcast up there?

04-23-04, 05:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
Yes, AI is being broadcast here. It airs on CTV which is the same network that does Canadian Idol.

littlemisssmartypants 477 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-23-04, 07:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail littlemisssmartypants Click to send private message to littlemisssmartypants Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
I'd love to see a Canadian Idol forum. I guess we'll have to post under AI forums, though.

Looking forward to posting with you, once the show begins!

04-23-04, 07:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
We do not get CI in the states, right? Or am I missing it somehow?

littlemisssmartypants 477 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-23-04, 08:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail littlemisssmartypants Click to send private message to littlemisssmartypants Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
Sadly, I don't think you guys get to watch our competition!

Too bad. We're lovely and mild-mannered.

04-23-04, 04:33 PM (EST)
3. "Thanks!"
I think this will work out perfectly! And, I would like to openly apologize if *I* ever appeared to be overly harsh or critical. I would hope in all of my postings I have been considerate toward other posters (I cannot promice the same to the contestents on any show- I bash, therefore I am) and if there have been any isolated incidents, I openly apologize for it. This community is a great one and we are such a fuuny bunch!

<--- has not started a thread in AI in a long time...could no longer figure out what was new or a variation of the old.

RealityAddict 327 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-23-04, 05:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RealityAddict Click to send private message to RealityAddict Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Thanks!"
>I think this will work out
>perfectly! And, I would
>like to openly apologize if
>*I* ever appeared to be
>overly harsh or critical.
>I would hope in all
>of my postings I have
>been considerate toward other posters

monstah, I am relatively new to the AI boards (usually post on Bachelor) but have to say that I have noticed you have always been considerate and polite. Thanks for that b/c new people coming in can be a little intimidated at first.

Also, I'm with you on the new threads situation. This board has so many threads that I feared I might start a repeat and catch a liplashing, so I just skipped it!

04-23-04, 05:21 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Thanks!"
Thanks Reality...but I have been policing (which I thought was helping) and that is sooooo uncool. I hate anything PC and I fear I have come that which for I have contempt. I wanted to make a public apology for two reasons:
1. Gotta keep my side of the street clean.
2. Because this is such a great community and we need to keep it that way.

And might I say, I think you are a great member of afore mentioned community!

Has to be an easier way to say "that which for I have contempt"...

Sagebrush Dan 10002 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 05:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sagebrush%20Dan Click to send private message to Sagebrush%20Dan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Thanks!"
afore mentioned is one word.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Jus' doin' some street cleanin'. *snort**prepares for a whack*

04-23-04, 05:44 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Thanks!"
Look Dan! What's that over there?

WHACK

<--- Is of Italian heritage...if pushed will commit a real whack.

true 9689 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 04:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail true Click to send private message to true Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
Thank you, for addressing these issues. I do want to say, that whenever I've alerted a duplicate post, the moderators here have been unbelievably prompt in addressing the matter. I just want to remind people that if they don't get an immediate response, to just be patient.

I too, believe the person who emailed you made some valid points. It was becoming just as difficult to wade through all the correction responses, as it was to wade through the duplicate topics.

We were ALL new once, and while sometimes it seems annoying to see thread after thread repeated, it's just as annoying to see a group 'pile on' to correct it. I've also been disappointed in all the congratulating going on, after those corrections were made. It just makes us look bad to potential new members, and violates the very guidelines we're trying to enforce.

As far as the split forums, I don't think it could hurt. The population here is already familiar with the Fanatic/Basher concept, and I think it will be well received.

Oh my hen!

minkey 231 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-23-04, 05:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail minkey Click to send private message to minkey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
I *heart* you True and agree with everything you said.

qwertypie 9776 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 04:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
Wow,
I am a little saddened by the need to split the forum but I hope it helps. I don't have an opinion about the Canadian Idol forum (like Strid333) and whether it should be split because I just recently discovered that you had one for CI (I guess I am the stereotypical Canadian and I shocked when something we do gets noticed. I am impressed!)
La Vida es un Tango!

04-23-04, 05:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sagebrush%20Dan Click to send private message to Sagebrush%20Dan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
>I guess I am
>the stereotypical Canadian and I
>shocked when something we do
>gets noticed.

Huh? There's a Canada? Whuzzat?

Handcrafted by RollDdice

04-23-04, 07:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
When you are watching the evening news, it is that big blank shape connecting Alaska with the rest of the good ole US of A. We are also great exporters of the Canadian Clipper (which causes all of your cold weather tho' we refer to it as the SIBERIAN HIGH) and Celine Dion. Sorry about that!
Back to the thread: I am not sure how the splitting of forums will help the duplicate threads but it might help with the hurt feelings. Maybe people will be more glowing in the fanatics and expect the show to be seriously bashed in the bashers and not take it personally. I had suggested something similar for the bachelorette forum but the traffic did not warrant it.
I was impressed with the restraint shown by most by not posting spoilers this past week, but the flip side was that many more duplicate posts were posted as people did not know or did knot have time to look in the spoiler thread to see if something similar was said. I am not sure what the solution is, but I applaud the benevolent blue ones for trying.
Love and Warm Fuzzies to All!
La Vida es un Tango!

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-23-04, 08:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AZ_Leo Click to send private message to AZ_Leo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
When you are watching the evening news, it is that big blank shape connecting Alaska with the rest of the good ole US of A.

Actually they usually just put Alaska in it's own little box next to Hawaii. According to most weather maps they seem to be just west of Mexico.

Sorry about that.

04-24-04, 00:01 AM (EST)
49. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
Now I'm really crushed!
La Vida es un Tango!

04-23-04, 05:57 PM (EST)
20. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
Well, last year, I just posted here in the American Idol/Juniors forum. It was fine. We only had a half a dozen people posting in the Canadian threads. The Juniors threads were more active (but compared to American Idol were also quite dead).

I'm just a little worried that if we split up AI, CI will be dead. Maybe I should just log onto the offical CI thread on CTV's website. But I really don't want to because I love these boards with Survivor and OT and TAR and BB.

04-23-04, 08:29 PM (EST)
37. "Please, no!"
LAST EDITED ON 04-23-04 AT 09:08 PM (EST)

The "separate forum" for Canadian Idol is the news forum -- but I would have loved to had enough discussion of CI to warrant its own discussion forum -- and if we can get that kind of discussion, we'll split it off by itself.

Hey, I thought we'd get a Jennifer-like reaction when Toya Alexis got booted ... but I don't even remember much discussion about it.

And, to my fellow Yanks, Canadian Idol doesn't run down here ... but it should.

We do try to cover Canadian news, even if it's from Quebec:
http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/articles/story.php?s=2506

Stephanie Lapointe, winner of Star Academie 2004:

04-24-04, 02:29 AM (EST)
54. "RE: Please, no!"
Ok, I've noticed the news section before (but kinda forgot about it lol). But if I'm posting opinions (like so and so sucks or I love so and so), do I remain to do so in the AI/AJ threads?

J Slice 13166 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 05:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20Slice Click to send private message to J%20Slice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""

Since I know I'm to blame for this mentality (at least, a good bit of it), I'd like to appologize.

Sorry Ayak. Won't let it happen again.

I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule - Randall, Clerks

rjrabbit 3269 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-23-04, 05:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rjrabbit Click to send private message to rjrabbit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
I think most of us come to this site because we are passionate about our shows. That passion can get redirected towards people who do something that hits us the wrong way. I feel bad that I have jumped on people who have posted spoilers. I didn't know about the alert until last night. Thank you for pointing it out.

04-23-04, 05:43 PM (EST)
14. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
Thank you, AyaK. I humbly kiss your and the other mods' feet. There's a wonderful energy about this forum--it's passionate and zesty. And I hope we can continue to improve on that.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

The fool that persists in his folly becomes wise.

MTW1961 4029 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

04-23-04, 05:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail MTW1961 Click to send private message to MTW1961 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "Professional Scapegoat Here!"
One of my life's ambitions is to become a freelance professional scapegoat, so I am more than willing to accept any and all blame for the antics of the American Idol forum! It would add to the depth of my professional experience and look good on my resume

I apologize for making a mess of this board. I should probably be sternly reprimanded, and banished from the board for 4 days.

Everyone else can resume normal posting activity.

Handcrafted by RollDdice!

An active scapegoat since 1998!!!

04-23-04, 08:15 PM (EST)
35. "RE: Professional Scapegoat Here!"
*whack*

There. That's for the unfair voting in AI, the high price of gasoline, why Rawfadduh is even visiting this planet, and why I haven't won the lottery!

Handcrafted by RollDdice

idlegossip 116 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-23-04, 05:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail idlegossip Click to send private message to idlegossip Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
LAST EDITED ON 04-24-04 AT 11:21 PM (EST)

Wow, Ayak.

I can see why you are a moderator. What an excellent idea. As a relative "newbie", I have been rather shell-shocked by the "policing" here, and the apparent one-sidedness of the posts. I am glad to see that it is not really the case, and that maybe it's just gotten out of hand for now. This is a fun place to come, to read, and to share ideas. I have enjoyed meeting the few people who have bothered to "talk" to me. I hope to meet the rest of you in the future.

04-23-04, 09:21 PM (EST)
43. "The carryover from Off-Topic"
idlegossip,

Welcome. Glad to have you with us.

A lot of our posters also participate on the Off-Topic Forum (also called "OT"), where the tone is much looser and "threadjacking" for personal discussions is a way of life. It's great for OT, which has become a tightly-knit community (though new people are always welcome!) ... but it does have the tendency to bleed over into other forums, with less desirable results.

AyaK

okaychatt 2810 desperate attention whore postings

04-24-04, 06:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
62. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
Hi idlegossip. I'm new here too and have experienced a similar reaction. Things seem to be settling down though, and in all, I've quite enjoyed these folks. Several have gone out of their way to make me feel welcome.

Thanks, All.

Handola 54 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-26-04, 04:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Handola Click to send private message to Handola Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
76. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
Hello, idlegossip

I am also new here and trying to learn the ropes. I think separating the AI forum is a good idea. Obviously, the people who watch this show are passionate about loving or hating contestants, so it would help things. I hope.

Since it has been mentioned, I'd like to point out that this forum is much more respectful of "newbies" than others. Thanks for that. The whole point is to connect with all kinds of peeps, right?

Peace

Chrissy gal 1413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-23-04, 06:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Chrissy%20gal Click to send private message to Chrissy%20gal Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
Ayak, I have a few questions.

1) Will there be something that indicates that the Fanatics forum is also for show night spoilers?

2) During Survivor Pearl Islands (and Amazing Race 3) I saw a number of posts bashing contestants in the Fanatics forum, especially in threads that had been started as a fan thread for a certain contestant. I also saw a lot of posters defending their favorite contestants in the Bashers forum when a thread was started to bash a certain contestant. Is that O.K.?

3) How does splitting the forums help? (Eventhough I am a true AR and Mole Fanatic, I have never understood the two different forums.)

04-23-04, 09:07 PM (EST)
40. "Alternatives"
1) Yes -- we'll put it in the description (if we forget, please remind us).

2) OK, this is a hard one -- and it's the main reason that I posted about the forum split before we do it. When we started Reality TV World as a Survivor-oriented board, most of us were refugees from another site that split its boards based on INTENT of the post. If you wanted to mock someone or something, you posted in Bashers. If you wanted to praise or criticize but NOT mock, then you posted in Fanatics.

But there's a big problem with a split based on intent --- it's not always clear to someone else what the intent of the post is. For example, what if you read a post in Fanatics saying that a particular singer was the second coming of, say, Dean Martin and wanted to reply -- "yeah, he sounds just like Dino did when he was drunk out of his gourd." That's mocking, right? -- so you can't post it to the Fanatics thread; you need to start a new thread on the topic in Bashers. But what if you wanted to reply simply that, in your opinion, the singer can't sing at the level expected of an Idol? That's OK to post on Fanatics. I think you can see how, in the real world, Fanatics posts tend to blend into Bashers posts. In fact, this is a problem on all the boards -- and it may be a problem here.

So what's the alternative? One choice would be to break the boards based on content instead of intent. Posts about the upcoming show topic, the judges, the show-night spoilers, etc. could go into a "show discussion" forum, while posts about individual contestants could go into a "contestant discussion" forum. This is the approach used by some other boards. We've generally opted not to go that way -- but maybe it's a better idea. What do you all think?

3) A split between Fanatics and Bashers tends to separate the people who live and die with the show from the people who love to make snide comments about it -- which is where most of the fights usually come from. But it's not a clear division. A split between show threads and contestant threads doesn't do that, but it's cleaner and easier to manage.

Again, I'd like to know people's comments and preferences. We'll try to take them into account. Really!

04-23-04, 09:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Chrissy%20gal Click to send private message to Chrissy%20gal Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
44. "RE: Alternatives"
Thank you Ayak!

So, let me see if I get it right... Fanatics is meant for civilized discussions (for or against a contestant or judge) and Bashers is meant for snarky/humorous discussions about anything show related (but still no personal attacks on other posters allowed)?

My example: Someone posted that they hoped we would vote for certain idol contestants because of their nationality. "Bashers" would reply with snarky/humorous remarks that if that was the voting criteria then they would have nobody to vote for, while "Fanatics" would say that they think people should just vote based on singing ability.**

Do I have it right or at least close to right?

**Of course if singing ability is the criteria some of us would say we still would have nobody to vote for.

04-24-04, 12:40 PM (EST)
58. "Exactly"
Exactly right. Or, in terms of smilies,

Fanatics are and

Bashers are and (but not to each other)

04-24-04, 11:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail rjrabbit Click to send private message to rjrabbit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
70. "RE: Exactly"
When I first read the alternatives, I thought "That'll work" but as I read more posts I began to think the fanatics and bashers might be better. If there isn't going to be a spoiler folder, then maybe the basher folder can have a description that anyone who wants to rant about the last episode should do it here. If people are upset about the episode they just watched and they place their post in the basher folder, then those of us on the west coast can avoid that folder.

04-24-04, 06:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail okaychatt Click to send private message to okaychatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
63. "RE: Alternatives"
By George, I get it now! Thanks, Chrissy Gal.

I thought I'd be in Fanatics, but now believe I'll miss the opportunity for snarky remarks. Seems I'll be in Bashers more often than I'd thought.

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 09:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
45. "RE: Alternatives"
Just my opinion bu I like the alternative. My peeve has been that I come to the boards at 5:30-6:00 pst not even thinking about the fact that the east coast has watched and I'm reminded the minute I open the board and the spoilers are there. If it were split between show and contestants then I would know not to click on show and I could go right to contestants and not worry about being spoiled. The other version would mean that I just can't come and enjoy discussion on boot night for a 4 hour window.

if you don't have anything nice to say, come sit next to me.

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-23-04, 10:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AZ_Leo Click to send private message to AZ_Leo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
48. "RE: Alternatives"
Based on what I've seen, if someone's favorite is voted off or if someone stayed that wasn't wanted the complaints would immediately appear on the contestants forum rather than the show forums so splitting that way won't help avoid spoilers. It also won't help with the problem trying having bashers and fanatics trying to post on the same threads. I do think it works to have one forum explicitly labeled for bashing, enter at your own risk.

If all spoiler stuff is restricted to Fanatics then at least you would have a place to come and be snarky about the show while waiting.

Of course, I much prefer reading the AI forums to actually watching the show (frankly I could care less about any of them) so I don't know if my humble opinion should carry any weight.

shedevil 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-24-04, 00:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
50. "So what's the difference?"
What I would like to know is what's the difference between bashing and just having a different opinion? I personally don't see the need to seperate it. Are we talking about bashing of the show or bashing of the contestants, maybe I'm just tired but it all seems confusing to me.I think it would be really boring to read nothing but positive comments about the show, variety is the spice of life. I like to go under a topic and see the different opinions, negative and positive. If I have misunderstood what's going on, I'm sorry, I've had a long day.

Mysterious Jedi 1043 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-24-04, 02:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Mysterious%20Jedi Click to send private message to Mysterious%20Jedi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
52. "Examples"
Bashing would be like - "George sucks! He can't sing worth crap! He dances worse than JPL! And he's ugly too! I can't wait until he leaves."

Difference of opinion - "Well, I don't really enjoy the sound of George's voice. It grates on my nerves for some reason. I prefer a voice like Johnny Red, calm and soothing."

04-24-04, 02:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
53. "RE: Examples"
Bashing would be like - "George sucks! He can't sing worth crap! He dances worse than JPL! And he's ugly too! I can't wait until he leaves."
Difference of opinion - "Well, I don't really enjoy the sound of George's voice. It grates on my nerves for some reason. I prefer a voice like Johnny Red, calm and soothing."

Thanks for the clarification.That's what I figured but I wanted to be sure. I still don't see a problem with it. It's all just a matter of different opinions isn't it?

04-24-04, 07:20 PM (EST)
65. "RE: Examples"
Hey She! Missed you the past couple of days. I sent you a PM.

04-24-04, 10:43 PM (EST)
68. "RE: Examples"
Thanks rjrabbit, I'll go check it out.

04-24-04, 06:41 PM (EST)
64. "RE: Alternatives"
I'd miss the opportunity to snark during the show. The travesties that occur on AI need an immediate outlet.

So_Opinionated 177 desperate attention whore postings

04-24-04, 06:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail So_Opinionated Click to send private message to So_Opinionated Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
55. "RE: Alternatives"
>>"show discussion" forum vs "contestant discussion" forum.
What do you all think?

Hi Ayak,
I don't like that idea because the subjects cross over too easily. Fanatics vs bashers boards on the other hand is perfect. Thanks for implementing the change.

Also, thank you for sharing the email from the new poster. It's always good to help put everyone back into perspective of why we're here. Thanks for providing an outlet to share with others in a mature manner. KUDOS to the mods and anyone who help start up this mb site.

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

04-26-04, 04:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
75. "RE: Alternatives"
I cast my vote (if voting there be) with the show threads and contestant threads.

Ricky 1106 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 06:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ricky Click to send private message to Ricky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
I'm not exactly clear about the two different forums either. I'm a "Fanatic" most days I guess, but it seems pretty subjective. Also, how will this stop duplicate threads ? Won't we now just get duplicates in two differnt forums ?

04-23-04, 06:13 PM (EST)
23. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
Ricky, you said what I was thinking... It is good to know I am not the only one who doesn't understand.

04-23-04, 06:16 PM (EST)
24. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
"Ricky and Chrissy, sitting in a tree..."

waves to both Sorry, but it just had such a nice ring...

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 06:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""

I think the split is a fine idea. And Webby, Bebo, Ayak and their blue colleagues are overworked, patient, dedicated Mods-I have NO idea why they want to/are willing to do these things, but am very appreciative of their efforts.

"Any government that would deny a gay man bridal registry is fascist." Margaret Cho

04-23-04, 08:56 PM (EST)
39. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
I'm not sure I understand your post Ginger. Were Ricky and I wrong for asking for clarification?

Sometimes even those of us who have been here for a long time don't really understand the nuances. The difference between the two forums is something I really don't understand.

04-23-04, 09:09 PM (EST)
41. "See post #40"
LAST EDITED ON 04-23-04 AT 09:13 PM (EST)

Obviously, you aren't wrong in asking for clarification -- and I didn't take ginger's post to say that. I thought she was just trying to praise the wonderful moderators that do all the work on this board for nothing except the love of our fellow man.... (oops, sorry, I laid it on a little too thick there )

04-23-04, 07:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
LAST EDITED ON 04-23-04 AT 07:18 PM (EST)

I will also accept responsibilty for my part in the thread police patrol. I am relatively new to the boards too and I do remember what it was like to be a "newbie". As I said, I do take responsibilty for my part and I assure you that it won't happen again from me. I would like to defend a little bit of myself and some others though. I don't feel that we were rude to or overly harsh to any new posters that took our comments constructively. We had man new poster come in and violate the guidelines, had those violations pointed out to them, and in turn said "thank you" or "sorry" or something in return that was respectful and then we went about the business of the show. For my part, it wasn't so much the violations that I was trying to policeyet more of a response to new posters who immediately got rude and defensive and shot back with bashing either myself or other posters. I agree that I should have at that point just hit the alert button rather than defend myself to someone who was being rude without cause. It can be human nature to defend oneself to responses that tell me and others not to come and enjoy the boards if we can't handle what new people who do not want to follow the guidelines are doing. So for me, it was about the lack of respect we were getting from people new to the boards. I'm not making excuses or saying that it was okay but I feel the need to defend my actions. I understand that my reactions to people being rude to me were perpetuating the problem and again can say that it won't be happening on my part. As a newer poster, I look forward to meeting the new peeps who come here and have tried to be friendly and welcoming to the people who come here and respect the board. I was unable to do that with the ones coming here trying to dictate how they wanted the boards to be and not wanting to respect this community. One of the things that sets this message board aside from the others is the fact that bashing one another is not tolerated and I was frustrated that people were coming in and treating it like the other boards and bashing other posters. This caused me to sink to their level and do the same. Not Cool on my part and I acknowledge that.

So in long, I am sorry to Webby and all Moderators and fellow respectful posters for "helping" the problem get out of hand.

04-23-04, 07:20 PM (EST)
28. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
Please edit and break up into small paragraphs...or, if you insist on making a post that long, could you throw in a picture or two for those of us with short attention spans.

Thanks for your consideration...

And I will add a wink in case your sarcasm filter is turned off.

<--- hearts BnK

04-23-04, 07:26 PM (EST)
30. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
I think that is a violation and you are bashing me. Now I must hit alert.
Also a wink in case you didn't catch my sarcasm
Hearts Monster right back. Feel the love?

04-23-04, 07:28 PM (EST)
31. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
That last sentence is a Randy quote, right? (Dawg)

04-23-04, 07:29 PM (EST)
33. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
I hope that the one person who said sorry comes back. I agree with you Brv about people who come to this board and immediately start attacking other people. The reason I love this site is because you can have discussions and attacking other people is not allowed. You're a great person Brv.

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 08:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
Can I join the love fest?

I to would like to apoligize since I have been guilty of policing the boards recently. I was only trying to help everyone else with the problem that seemed to be getting out of hand!

I agree with Brav(I think it was you ) that you mods do a great job and I certainly would not want to do it. This is a great place to come, helps work go by faster and is highly addictive!

I hope more people come and join the fun!

***Keeping it plain & simple since 19XX***

04-23-04, 09:19 PM (EST)
42. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
I too would like to thank the mods for the great job that they do!!

calamityc 1041 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 10:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail calamityc Click to send private message to calamityc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
47. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
Thanks to Ayak for a fair and balanced view and attempting to make the board comfortable for old and new members alike. mrc had a suggestion (tongue in cheek I think) on the Welcome thread about assigning newbies our own thread and letting us just sort of obliterate ourselves with mistakes. lol Might not be a bad idea! I know the frustration of seeing threads practically sitting on top of each other that say essentially the same thing. I also know some of that has to be done on purpose. But for most there is just a learning curve.
People I work with are discussing these shows just as much as they are discussed on the boards. I came here just to have another place to read and talk about things I am watching anyway. The number of posts doesn't always indicate someone's familiarity with the rules. I read for several months before I ever posted anything-especially on Survivor Spoilers. I still don't post there because they are so far ahead of me in picking out clues that all I need to do is sit there.
I commend Ayak for trying to come up with an answer.

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

04-24-04, 09:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
57. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
Completely tongue-in-cheek on my part. I enjoy the banter too much!

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-04, 10:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
46. "Thanks, Ayak"
I think that it is a brilliant idea. Maybe fanatics, bashers and news? Or just fanatics and bashers? I think it works really well for the Survivor stuff and should be a huge improvement here.

As for the policing, I think it was a case of people getting really caught up in the moment (sort of like hall monitors in school, you know, only here anyone who wants to be one can) and too much OT-style banter bleeding over here. The moment has passed now, so we can all move on.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--reserves alerts as much as possible

goDAWful 34 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-24-04, 01:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail goDAWful Click to send private message to goDAWful Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
51. "RE: Thanks, Ayak"
First of all, yes, thanks, AyaK, for all of this good entertainment here. I don't think we can say it enough that we appreciate the people who host us here. You're a bunch of jolly good sports.

As for the difference between Bashers and Fanatics when it comes to what constitutes "bashing" versus "expressing an opinion that conflicts with a Fanatic's viewpoint," can we not just go with Who Started It And Why?

What I mean by this is... Let's say for some reason that I loved John Stevens and wanted to praise his hair colour and singing voice. On that basis, I would naturally tend toward joining a discussion that I would no doubt find already in existence in Fanatics. (Of course, I could start my own thread to unctuously moon over John in the Fanatics forum, but only if one didn't already exist, and naturally I would read back at least seven years to ensure that I wasn't about to duplicate an earlier conversation. ::nods sagely to the moderators:

But let's say someone who despises John (and in fact finds him crushingly bad in the same way as having a door placed on one's chest and large rocks loaded upon it until one suffocates to death is crushingly bad) wishes to register an objection to my fawning post. Surely I must expect this, having published my obviously drug-addled conjecture for all to see in a public forum? Surely any complaining respondent would not be out of place in Fanatics, simply because his (or her) post would in essence be a bashing of John?

Likewise, if the bashing had originally been posted in its rightful home -- Bashers -- then surely it would be part of the fun for a Fanatic to venture forth with additional grist for Bashers' respective mills in the form of praise for John after his humiliation at the hands of the basher?

In other words, let it police itself. People will find their homes themselves, and where there is marginally inappropriate content for either forum, the posters can largely be relied upon to get about their own business back in their rightful place before long. If anything, don't police Bashers at all (for if a Fanatic ventures in there, upon his own head be it, and I hope he does, because that's when it gets fun) and merely remind those in Fanatics that bashing beyond "I disagree -- I like X other contestant better" should be taken elsewhere.

For me, it ultimately comes down to whether you think the show as a whole and everyone involved in it is horrid and indefensible, or whether you like the show and simply prefer one candidate over another. This is very much a matter of intent rather than content, but like I said, I think you should just break us in two and let us fall where we will.

See you in Bashers. ;)

mahjonger 25 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-26-04, 04:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mahjonger Click to send private message to mahjonger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
74. "RE: Thanks, Ayak"
goDawful -- thou witty, thou wise, thou wonderful.
(Hope you're not too young to recognize those lyrics.)

probably clueless 5782 desperate attention whore postings

04-24-04, 06:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail probably%20clueless Click to send private message to probably%20clueless Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
56. "RE:the "thread police""
> -- and I
>didn't take ginger's post to
>say that. I thought
>she was just trying to
>praise the wonderful moderators that
>do all the work on
>this board for nothing except
>the love of our fellow
>man...
. (oops, sorry, I
>laid it on a little
>too thick there )

It doesn't matter who this is in response to. We come to praise you.

A Kittyloaf®Original
*I think this might be my first suck-up kinda post*

joannie 380 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-24-04, 01:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail joannie Click to send private message to joannie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
59. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
Well, I don't know if I like the idea of splitting the forum. What fun is discussing John Stevens, for example, if everybody LIKES him? OR if everyone HATES him? It's the differing opinions that make discussions interesting.

Of course we should avoid bashing each other, but I still think contestants should be fair game, no matter what forum I'm in.

As for the duplicate thread problem: If you feel someone has posted a duplicate thread, notify the Mod without replying to the post. It will be slipping quickly onto page 2 if no one responds, if it isn't locked up first.

minkey 231 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-24-04, 01:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail minkey Click to send private message to minkey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
60. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
From what I understand, you could disagree in the fanatics forum. It just couldn't be in your face nasty.

I like the idea of breaking the forum into two or three. I would gleefully bash occasionally, but could go to fanatics to praise the performers in a more supportive environment; though anyone could disagree with me there, too. It could be the best of both worlds.

I think it was Kim who suggested that there be a division of three: bashers, fanatics and news. News could have threads about judges, theories, AI news and the spoilers.

I also agree that the bashers thread shouldn't be heavily policed, and if it were needed, only the mods should step up.

04-24-04, 06:24 PM (EST)
61. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
LAST EDITED ON 04-24-04 AT 06:52 PM (EST)

I want to understand.

So, if I'm really into the show and am dedicated to voting in the best singer, I vote in "Fanatics." That's even if I'm incredibly put out that John Stevens is still a contender and I say so in my posts? I just have to be nice - always a struggle.

I get it - if I believe Bugs Bunny would be a better choice than John Stevens, I'd post in Bashers.

See ya in Bashers!

04-24-04, 08:36 PM (EST)
66. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
if I believe Bugs Bunny would be a better choice than John Stevens, I'd post in Bashers.

See ya in Bashers!

Good one Okaycatt! I guess a lot of us will be in Bashers.

I'm so glad I understand now. It has always been a little confusing to me.

I have always stayed out of "Love" threads in Fanatics if I don't "Love" the contestant they are talking about and I think I still will. I figure it is O.K. for people to have their delusions.

GrendelsMom 3272 desperate attention whore postings

04-24-04, 09:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GrendelsMom Click to send private message to GrendelsMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
67. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
I'm all for the split. Great idea.

And I offer a blanket apology for contributing to the bashing mentality.

<==flashed by J_Loaf
People who know me from OT know that I'm usually a nice person, right?

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

04-24-04, 11:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
69. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
I will vouch for you GM...you are a very nice person!

Director of Public Relations for GAWKUR!

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

04-26-04, 02:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
71. "Bump"
LAST EDITED ON 04-26-04 AT 02:31 PM (EST)

Just a bump for those who weren't around this weekend can voice in...

04-26-04, 02:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail idlegossip Click to send private message to idlegossip Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
72. "RE: Bump"
Great idea, SB! Thanks to all of you for being there.

(We gotta b*tch or we'll explode!)

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

04-26-04, 02:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
73. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
I have tried to not comment on a thread I've thought was a dup and just hit the alert.

I'm just not sure that splitting the board will keep the duplicate threads down or even the "spoiler" threads. If people aren't reading first and checking out the guidelines before they post, then how can we expect them to read the description of the split boards and have them post in the appropiate place?
Instead I vision copy and paste posts in both places. But then again I haven't been active on a board that was split after the fact so maybe it does get better. Ayak, you and Webby would be better able to answer that.

04-26-04, 08:16 PM (EST)
78. "An argument in favor of topic-based"
Breezy, after reading this discussion, Webby and I are wondering the same thing. That sounds to us like an argument in favor of "topic-based" splitting ... and we are starting to lean in that direction.

Unless there is some good reason to go with Fanatics/Bashers splitting, we may give topic-based splitting a try on this board. At least that way, we can be sure that SOME of the new threads will go in the right place!

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

04-27-04, 08:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
79. "Topic based"
Sounds like it may be the way to go. Atleast give it a try I suppose.

Still not sure the split will work, if they don't read the guidelines.

ElroyJetson 586 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-27-04, 12:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ElroyJetson Click to send private message to ElroyJetson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
80. "Board Suggestion"
How's this for a board suggestion:

Perpetually Pillory Pretty Paula

Any split is fine with me.

thinks the Mods bang!

opinionated 151 desperate attention whore postings

05-02-04, 09:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail opinionated Click to send private message to opinionated Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
82. "RE: An argument in favor of topic-based"
I have to admit that I would be totally confused by the basher/fanatic split, so I'd prefer a topic split. I'll probably still be somewhat confused, but that's a perpetual state for me these days anyway...

One note about duplicate threads--I, too, have been reticent to start new threads for fear of being stomped on (I think I've only ever started one thread, and that was when I did something really stupid on the forum and needed help). The truth is, some of us don't have time to read back through thread after thread (or worse, topics within certain threads). I do my best, but I spend most of my day keeping up with a toddler and often only have a few minutes to read and post. This is an entertainment break for me. I guess I probably still won't start new threads, and maybe I shouldn't given my circumstance, but I just wanted to let people know that duplicate posts are probably unintentional most of the time and not everyone can spend all day reading through page after page of threads.

Hope that didn't come across as offensive.

opinionated
(Still too busy to figure out how to make a sigpic!)

05-02-04, 09:06 PM (EST)
83. "RE: An argument in favor of topic-based"
I do my best, but I spend most of my day keeping up with a toddler and often only have a few minutes to read and post. This is an entertainment break for me. I guess I probably still won't start new threads, and maybe I shouldn't given my circumstance, but I just wanted to let people know that duplicate posts are probably unintentional most of the time and not everyone can spend all day reading through page after page of threads.Hope that didn't come across as offensive.

I'm in the same boat as you, I also have to keep up with a toddler all day. Most of the time though the most you have to go back is 2 pages. All you have to do is skim through the topics usually to figure out if what you're going to post is a duplicate or not. That's how I see it anyway. I don't think what you said was offensive.

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

04-26-04, 04:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
77. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
First off, thanks to the mods for taking the time to make this adjustment mid-season. Maybe seeing "Fanatics" and "Bashers" categories will be enough to divert traffic to where it should go. Frankly, I have my doubts, but I hope I'm wrong.

Paul Morphy--The antithesis of Bobby Fischer's paranoia and anti-Semitism

05-02-04, 03:28 PM (EST)
81. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
ttt

(We gotta b*tch or we'll explode!)

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

05-03-04, 10:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
84. "RE: AI forum split ... and the "thread police""
Please help us do that by "alerting" duplicate posts WITHOUT otherwise commenting on them. Thanks.

As the newest sheriff in town, I'd just like to remind people of this important statement. And I'd also like to point out that there's no need to go weeks into the past to play thread police. If someone does something from now on in violation of the guidelines, then hit alert and resist the urge to comment on the forum. Your cooperation is appreciated.

I'd also like to remind folks that since the mods decided to split these into General vs. Individual (instead of the Bashers/Fanatics split), that there will still be an intermingling of those who love the show and those who love to mock the show. Please remember the Guidelines as you comment to each other. And to quote the wonderful MST3K theme song:

Repeat to yourself, it's just a show, I should really just relax.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •