The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The Ugly Americans"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

Urban_Kitten 170 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

02-09-05, 07:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Urban_Kitten Click to send private message to Urban_Kitten Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The Ugly Americans"
I hear the death knoll for the Amazing Race ringing in my ears (or was that the sounds of cheers as the Ugly Americans sprinted to the finish line?). This season's offering was like eating cotton candy: instant gratification but it ultimately left a slightly sour and hollow feeling at the pit of my stomach. The fact that the Ugly Americans (I can only hope that a million bucks buys a lot of cultural sensitivity training) won is really disheartening and will probably pave the way for more & more "pretty" (pretty ugly) contestants being cast. All form & no substance. This season's offerings of roadblocks & detours - with its insistence on physical challenges & lack of emphasis on mental skills - not only precludes contestants over 45 (unless you're Jack LaLanne) but gives it a Fear Factor-esque gloss to it.

Alas, Kris & Jon did not win - too bad as they were the only team that exhibited a sense of fair sportsmanship, kindness, mutual respect and a genuine wonder at the world at large. But I suppose that TAR is a paradigm for life where decent people don't always win, where the loud & obnoxious often have centre stage, and the intolerant, petulant whiners come in first.

Will I watch next season? - maybe. Or maybe not.

Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui.
(Bad kitty! Why don't you use the cat box? I put new litter in it.)

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Face it Scuba Steve 02-09-05 1
   RE: Face it smiley 02-09-05 3
       RE: Face it cadfile 02-09-05 4
           RE: Face it smiley 02-09-05 11
           NYC... Not luck TeamJoisey 02-10-05 16
               RE: NYC... Not luck seahorse 02-10-05 17
   RE: Face it daddy brian 02-09-05 13
   RE: Face it turmoil 02-10-05 22
 RE: The Ugly Americans Seana 02-09-05 2
   RE: The Ugly Americans volsfan 02-09-05 5
       RE: The Ugly Americans ginger 02-09-05 6
           RE: The Ugly Americans AugustGirl 02-09-05 7
           RE: The Ugly Americans Tahj 02-09-05 8
           RE: The Ugly Americans skeetergirl87 02-09-05 9
               RE: The Ugly Americans StormyWeather 02-10-05 20
           RE: The Ugly Americans tamarama 02-09-05 14
       RE: The Ugly Americans Seana 02-09-05 12
 RE: The Ugly Americans samboohoo 02-09-05 10
 RE: The Ugly Americans sarajane1177 02-10-05 15
   RE: The Ugly Americans kgswifty 02-10-05 18
       RE: The Ugly Americans RangeRover 02-10-05 19
 RE: The Ugly Americans csthacker 02-10-05 21

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Scuba Steve 1644 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

02-09-05, 08:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Scuba%20Steve Click to send private message to Scuba%20Steve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Face it"
The most liked team doesn't always win. The team that wins are the best racers, and in this case, it was Freddy and Kendra.

smiley 2009 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

02-09-05, 10:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail smiley Click to send private message to smiley Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Face it"
I don't personally think they were better racers at all...it came down to luck for Freddy and Kendra. How many 1st places did Freddy and Kendra get compared to Jon and Kris...and if you are talking about better racers then Hayden and Aaron ran circles around Freddy and Kendra.

*Proud Member of the RR/RW Old Fart Club*

cadfile 176 desperate attention whore postings

02-09-05, 10:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cadfile Click to send private message to cadfile Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Face it"
smiley said:
--------------
I don't personally think they were better racers at all...it came down to luck for Freddy and Kendra. How many 1st places did Freddy and Kendra get compared to Jon and Kris...and if you are talking about better racers then Hayden and Aaron ran circles around Freddy and Kendra.
---------------

It isn't about who finishes the most legs but who comes in first on the last one. It is about the team who can flow and adapt to issues that come up.

Hayden and Aaron were eliminated because Hayden lost it in the end because the series of bad luck they had crushed her.

A couple of other races were decided based on luck. The one I remember most was when there was the Taxi ride into Manhattan and the team that claimed to know Manhattan like the back of their hand finished second.

smiley 2009 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

02-09-05, 03:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail smiley Click to send private message to smiley Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Face it"
I understand its who comes first on the last leg...but in my opinion Freddy and Kendra didn't come first because they are better racers...it was due to luck.

Overall better racers to me means who finishes first in all legs...not just one. Thats what i meant by Hayden and
Aaron being better racers overall.

*Proud Member of the RR/RW Old Fart Club*

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

02-10-05, 00:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "NYC... Not luck"
The New York finish in season one was not luck at all.

The team from New York told their driver which route to take. They directed him on a longer route that avoided driving through the center of Manhattan. That's the way you'd go in the middle of a weekday, so that you could avoid the gridlock of lower Manhattan.

The team from California let the driver decide.

It was 6 a.m. Sunday. There was no traffic in lower Manhattan.
The second driver went through one tunnel from Jersey, zipped down the nearly deserted streets, and out through the Midtown tunnel to Queens.

Frank and Margarita lost specifically because they argued with the driver and told him which route to take. That's not luck, that's stupidity and hubris.

These reality show contestants need a reality check!

seahorse 14337 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-10-05, 08:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail seahorse Click to send private message to seahorse Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: NYC... Not luck"
Well said, I couldn't agree more.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

daddy brian 39 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

02-09-05, 05:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail daddy%20brian Click to send private message to daddy%20brian Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Face it"
They did deserve the win. It was not a fluke. If Adam and Rebecca would have won, now that would have been a fluke.

turmoil 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

02-10-05, 10:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail turmoil Click to send private message to turmoil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Face it"
I don't agree with this AT ALL.....Lets look back at Amazing Race 5? Is anybody honestly going to tell me that Colin and Kristie were NOT the better competitors? I have yet to see a better team in the race. Kris and Jon were awesome and i enjoyed watching them...and yes, i stand by what i saw when i say they deserved to win...and yes I think the winners of this race is always about DUMB LUCK.....NEVER on whom are better at the game or the better "racers"....THAT is what disapoints me about this show.

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings

02-09-05, 09:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The Ugly Americans"
LAST EDITED ON 02-09-05 AT 09:47 AM (EST)

I was terribly disappointed with this outcome. F/K are simply awful people. It's too bad this came down to booking the right flight. K/J were the better racers. And better people, too. Did they tell everyone they had to get to Tokyo to see a sick child?? That was pitiful. Way to show your acting skills by whipping up some tears, Kendra.

This paradigm of yours is hardly encouraging - "do everything right, lose anyway".

Since TAR7 is already filmed and ready to go, any changes for the better (mental challenges, less stunt casting) will likely not surface until TAR8. I admit I enjoyed the last hour of TAR6, where the show was about this 'race around the world'.

Editted because I have been reminded that K/J were on the same train as F/K. Oops.

Kung Hei Fat Choy!

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

02-09-05, 10:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: The Ugly Americans"
Take a look at the new cast posted on CBS.com. I don't think they have gone the model route this time. The teams look more down to earth to me.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

02-09-05, 11:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The Ugly Americans"
I sure hope so. The producers almost rubbed this ugly win in our faces by letting us "enjoy" the horrible comment about breeding in recap at the very beginning. So we could really understand how truly underserving our winners were.

On the other hand, it is the "reality" of the Race that the most likeable couple seldom wins. I remember feeling kind of like this when Flow and Zak won (although you could at least feel good for him).

The worst part was hearing Kendra mention that Freddy is now "worthy" of having her children (which made it sound like he would, actually, handle the childbearing) -- I really would prefer it if these two would not BREED.

AugustGirl 11534 desperate attention whore postings

02-09-05, 12:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AugustGirl Click to send private message to AugustGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The Ugly Americans"
The worst part was hearing Kendra mention that Freddy is now "worthy" of having her children (which made it sound like he would, actually, handle the childbearing) -- I really would prefer it if these two would not BREED.

I'm with you Ginger ... I hope they use some of that million dollars to get spayed and neutered. And their jaws wired shut.

At least Chip and Kim won over Colin and Christe last season.

Tahj 4136 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

02-09-05, 01:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tahj Click to send private message to Tahj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: The Ugly Americans"
I wondered if I'd heard that right. "...worthy of having her children...--what an idiotic beotch. Like it's all about her--the people of Senegal must feel awful that they weren't worthy of having her in their country.

Moves by Syren

skeetergirl87 136 desperate attention whore postings

02-09-05, 02:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail skeetergirl87 Click to send private message to skeetergirl87 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: The Ugly Americans"
>I sure hope so. The
>producers almost rubbed this ugly
>win in our faces by
>letting us "enjoy" the horrible
>comment about breeding in recap
>at the very beginning.
>So we could really understand
>how truly underserving our winners
>were.

I wonder why the editors showed all of those comments by Kendra that made her seem like a uncaring racist person. They can include and/or cut whatever they want and all along I kept thinking they did it since F/K didn't win so they weren't worried about their image to viewers. But, since they were the winners, I am baffled at why they wanted to show her in such a negative light. I'm glad they were honest about it so that we could see the type of person that she truly is, but I don't understand why they didn't try to make her look better.

The truly sad thing is that I don't think she has a clue about the inappropriateness of her comments and wouldn't understand why they have upset so many people. Her world is very small (the 10 feet immediately around herself)and even having this experience will fail to open her mind.

StormyWeather 4 desperate attention whore postings

02-10-05, 05:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail StormyWeather Click to send private message to StormyWeather Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: The Ugly Americans"
LAST EDITED ON 02-10-05 AT 06:34 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 02-10-05 AT 05:17 PM (EST)

How can it be called "REALITY TV" if what they say is edited out? Why should they edit out what that stupid ugly giraffe pig vomit dog said to make her look better so we could like her more? I didn't like her from the beginning because she was always whining and being a total expletive deleted so and so.

I even hated her more after her: "...they chose to live that way", "why do they keep breeding" (as if they are dogs) and all her other retarded comments.

There is NO EXCUSE for her behaviour what so ever. All the other teams were in the same situation and they did not carry on in this fashion. She's so damn rude!!! I even found it offensive when she referred to Adam and his team mate as the little ones. Would that Big B......itch like to be called Big goofy & ugly? I can't believe they are models. Oh My GOD they are sooo ugly.

As much as I don't like Hayden and her Flo like tendencies, including the remarks about the Chinese people, I would have preferred to see her win, because at no time did she make the comments that UGLY WITCH made. Any one but them winning would be fine with me, even though I wanted Jon and Kris to win.

By the way are there any caring racists out there because I've never seen or heard of any such thing. She is so well aware of what she said. She just feels that everyone is beneath her.

Her final comments at the end of the show tells us all just how stupid that moron is. Just remember how Kris and Jon were enjoying themselves and the children in the same place she made her dumb *** remarks. Even the elderly couple who had no money there were kind to them. Jonathan the Ahole was nice to the locals and we all know what kind of person he is so what's that retards problem?

What I would really like to know is do they tax the winnings and just how much they get after if they do?

I am also sure that they did NOT show all the comments she made. Why men like women like that is beyond my scope of understanding. X(

tamarama 1785 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

02-09-05, 05:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tamarama Click to send private message to tamarama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: The Ugly Americans"
>>The worst part was hearing Kendra mention that Freddy is now "worthy" of having her children (which made it sound like he would, actually, handle the childbearing) -- I really would prefer it if these two would not BREED.<<

AMEN!!!

That was just creepy.

I, too, was disappointed that Kris & Jon didn't win...

But this morning I was thinking about editing, and the producers could very easily cut out all the nastiness from K&F just to make the audience like them better -- and be happier when they won.

But they didn't -- and I'm kinda glad because it made people talk about what an Ugly American she is. It sparked alot of discussion.

So yeah, I'm really sorry Kris & Jon didn't win, but I'm really glad the producers didn't whitewash the winners.

Seana 5044 desperate attention whore postings

02-09-05, 03:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Seana Click to send private message to Seana Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: The Ugly Americans"
I have had the chance to look now, and you're right, vols, these teams appear to be real people. Very cool.

And I suppose this will give me the opportunity to get to know these "Rob and Amber" people, who are so well-known here.

I've never seen a full episode of Survivor. Not even so much as a single tribal council. *shame*

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

02-09-05, 03:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: The Ugly Americans"
I have to give some credit to Kendra because she hung in there. I liked the rule change with respect to the road blocks. When she had to do one, she did. I don't know how many of those I could have done. I still keep thinking of Kim, who let Chip do everything.

Although I don't agree with all of her comments, I can certainly understand them. She probably isn't educated enough about how life is outside of her comfort zone. And she did have a good experience with the people in Ethiopia. She did say a lot of stupid things, but I honestly don't think she said them with a mean-spirited frame of mind, just a clueless one.

Kris and Jon were super nice, super physical, but in the end they lost. I too would have liked to see them win. I need to re-watch what happened at the airport. It's hard to watch and type in the spoilers thread at the same time. It appears that they ran into some bad luck with the flights. I recall Colin and Christie having bad luck with flights too. Nice guys can't always finish first.

I found the ending pretty intense, and I'm glad that I really wasn't rooting for any one team in particular because I was actually able to enjoy it more.

Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004

sarajane1177 2 desperate attention whore postings

02-10-05, 00:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sarajane1177 Click to send private message to sarajane1177 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: The Ugly Americans"
I could not agree with you more. Kendra's comments made me sick. But Hayden was not much better. Her yelling at the local chinese people because god forbid they did not speak english and could not understand her was awful. I admit that those situations can be stressful, but it appears other teams (who were under the same amount of stress) did not yell at or talk down to the locals. Regardless to how far these teams made it in the race they should be ashamed of themselves and hopefully never leave the country again!

kgswifty 20 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

02-10-05, 10:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kgswifty Click to send private message to kgswifty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: The Ugly Americans"
I could wax on poetically with my thoughts on Freddy and Kendra's win but I think it can be best summed up in a single word..... ick !!!!

On the bright side rumors has it they are going to use their winnings and the lessons learned from their worldwide adventure to return to Senegal and open the "Kendra Bentley school of cultural tolerence".

RangeRover 262 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

02-10-05, 11:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail RangeRover Click to send private message to RangeRover Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: The Ugly Americans"
I don't know if any of you ever go to the Fishbowl.com and listen to the post interviews with some of the contestants.

They interviewed Bolo who admitted that KKKendra is his least favorite person ever...she had other incidents that did not make it to air.. he called her the most selfish, self centered... bi.tch he has ever met. Yet he liked Freddy.

He also discussed how he knows past racers - and in fact his backpack was actually one carried by other racers in TAR 2 and its clear that most of this show was centrally casted. No shock there this screamed mediawhores.

Oh and apparently sex was to be had everywhere. Who knew?

csthacker 2 desperate attention whore postings

02-10-05, 09:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail csthacker Click to send private message to csthacker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: The Ugly Americans"
Kendra's behavior in countries around the world is an embarrassment to American's everywhere. Her condecending attitude toward other cultures and her childish prattle made me sick to my stomach. I especially loved her lovely speech about poverty in Africa....I'm sure everyone on that continent is just as "dirty and yucky" as you think they are Kendra. And, I'm sure they are going to stop "breeding" based on your sage advice! Freddy and Kendra might have won a million dollars, but they are big losers because they don't seem to have learned anything from their trip around the world. We should all be ashamed that they represent "winners" in our country.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •