The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Swollen lymph nodes on 4 yr old"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

SaphireLady 2491 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

09-29-03, 11:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SaphireLady Click to send private message to SaphireLady Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Swollen lymph nodes on 4 yr old"
My four year old grandson has swollen lymph nodes behind his ears that are so large you can see them with him sitting on one end of couch and you on the other. They are also so painfull that he crys if you just touch them. He cried on the phone to Papa because hold phone to ear hurt him. He has had tubes in his ears already, so may be time for a new pair. But I told daughter to call and make him a doctor appt for tomorrow but am just wondering if anyone is around that can tell me this is right or should she take him to ER. I think it is just an ear infection and from what all I can find it is not and ER if they swelled quick but that if behind ears and or over o.4 inches to see doctor. But since he is crying gave him tyenol and think he can wait.

All advice welcome thanks.

"Do you know, I always thought unicorns were fabulous monsters, too? I never saw one alive before!" "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn, "if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you." Lewis Carroll; Through the Looking Glass

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Swollen lymph nodes on 4 yr old desert_rhino 09-30-03 1
 RE: Swollen lymph nodes on 4 yr old diamond 09-30-03 2
 RE: Swollen lymph nodes on 4 yr old KeithFan 09-30-03 3
 RE: Swollen lymph nodes on 4 yr old SaphireLady 09-30-03 4
   RE: Swollen lymph nodes on 4 yr old desert_rhino 09-30-03 5
 RE: Swollen lymph nodes on 4 yr old Drive My Car 09-30-03 6
 RE: Swollen lymph nodes on 4 yr old Devious Weasel 09-30-03 7
   RE: Swollen lymph nodes on 4 yr old ginger 09-30-03 8
 Gross story. Discretion advised. Calypso 09-30-03 9
 RE: Swollen lymph nodes on 4 yr old SaphireLady 09-30-03 10
 The Doctor Said SaphireLady 10-01-03 11
   RE: The Doctor Said Devious Weasel 10-01-03 12
   RE: The Doctor Said OceansAngel16 10-01-03 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

desert_rhino 10087 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-30-03, 00:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail desert_rhino Click to send private message to desert_rhino Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Swollen lymph nodes on 4 yr old"
call the hospital, and see what they think. Often the triage nurse can help you make that decision.

-- JV

Good luck. Give him a hug from us...

diamond 2307 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-03, 00:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail diamond Click to send private message to diamond Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Swollen lymph nodes on 4 yr old"
LAST EDITED ON 09-30-03 AT 00:13 AM (EST)

SaphireLady -

I'm no doctor, but what you described sounds like it could be mastoiditis, at least based on some links I found. They all mention the pain and swelling behind the ear. (There aren't any lymph nodes behind the ear, although they are found in the neck - but that doesn't sound like what you are describing). I didn't look at all the links, but if you just do a google search, you can find more.

http://www.schneiderchildrenshospital.org/peds_html_fixed/peds/ent/mastoid.htm

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001034.htm

These links didn't seem to say that it's an urgent emergency, but personally, I don't think I'd want to wait long on what sounds like a rather serious infection, especially if the symptoms came up realtively suddenly. Are the tubes for chronic ear infections? Apparently mastoidis results from the spread of a middle ear infection, so if he's had lots of them in the past, this would make sense. It's possible it could spread even more if not treated right away. If he were my kid, I think I'd take him to the ER right away.

Good luck - I hope the little guy feels better!

Edited to add: Actually, JV's suggestion makes the most sense - definitely call the hospital and talk to an actual medical professional - then you'll be sure that whatever you do is the best for your grandson.

KeithFan 7422 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-03, 00:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KeithFan Click to send private message to KeithFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Swollen lymph nodes on 4 yr old"
Ibuprofen might work a little better for the pain- it is anti-inflamatory where tylenol isn't.

They do make drops to numb the pain specifically. Depending on where you live you may be able to talk the "on call" doctor to phone some in.

Hope it helps!

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Mitch Ratcliffe, "Technology Review" (1992)

09-30-03, 00:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SaphireLady Click to send private message to SaphireLady Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Swollen lymph nodes on 4 yr old"
I reread my post and the swelling is below the ear not behind, sorry, but he is asleep right now so it seems at least he will sleep through, we hope, most of the night. The "ask a nurse" left us on hold for over 30 mins before we finally hung up, great right.

The problem, at least as for as daughter is concern because it does seem he can make it through night, is that she just switched jobs 6 weeks ago and does not have med inssurance so she would rather wait till morning cause the docs office is cheaper then the ER.

Which is where I came in cause I had her bring him to me, since his doctor's office is only about 7 miles from me, so that I could watch him and keep my eye on the problem. He is sleeping okay and he let me rock him to sleep.

He has no fever and other then the obvious swelling and the pain that causes is fine. He was playing, etc... I think he is okay for a few more hours. The hospitals around here won't talk to ya with out seeing you first, (rolling eyes, I understand but it sure would be nice if they could just answer a couple of basic questions.

I got my info from the MerckSource, childrens section typing in swoleen lymph nodes. So going by that info he is okay til morning.

I appreciate your advice and will keep ya posted. And while typing this I went and checked on him and he is sleeping soundly with Bella, my dog who usually avoids Zach, is sleeping with him, so I trust that dog instint that will alert me if he needs me. I also am registering a certain alarm that she is with him but am going to calm that panic that she is just keeping tabs on him. Dogs know when people are sick and so she is just being a Mom dog, right? Great now I am worrying myself again.

Going to just go sit with him asleep for awhile, guess no sleep for me tonight.

"Do you know, I always thought unicorns were fabulous monsters, too? I never saw one alive before!" "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn, "if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you." Lewis Carroll; Through the Looking Glass

desert_rhino 10087 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-03, 01:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail desert_rhino Click to send private message to desert_rhino Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Swollen lymph nodes on 4 yr old"
Going to just go sit with him asleep for awhile, guess no sleep for me tonight

Been there, done that. good luck.

-- JV

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-03, 07:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Swollen lymph nodes on 4 yr old"
*hugs*
Hope he is well soon, and it is not serious. Ears can be so painful.
Please let us know how he is feeling

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-03, 11:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Swollen lymph nodes on 4 yr old"
Hope everything is turning out okay! Our thoughts are with you SL.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-03, 02:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Swollen lymph nodes on 4 yr old"
If no fever, probably your cuddles are the best thing til morning. (One always dreads what scene might be encountered at emergency).
My daughter had tubes for her ear infections. Sometimes putting a hot iron on a towel and then holding head to ironing board helped. Or a blow dryer at v. low heat. Also those lollipops shaped like bears with Dimatapp to keep things flowing.

So hard when they're little and hurting and you can't really do anything! Hang in, SL.

>

Calypso 169 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-30-03, 04:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Calypso Click to send private message to Calypso Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Gross story. Discretion advised."
I had this when I was in middle school and I don't know that it was ever explained to anybody's satisfaction, although, I WAS the kid in this situation. It's likely my grown-ups knew what was up and just didn't share. Anyway, doc was afraid they would burst and so put me under and drained the nasty nasty out. I even had a tube hanging out of my neck after for extra drainage, which made me TERRIBLY popular with my fellow 6th-graders. Now this was back in the days of leeches, so I'm sure medicine has advanced. I tell this story now and people don't believe me. But it seemed perfectly raitonal at the time.

09-30-03, 07:22 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Swollen lymph nodes on 4 yr old"
Zach saga continued.

His mommy called the doctor this morning, they feel it is an ear infection but can't get him in till wed morning. In the mean time I have been taking care of him. He is fussy today but settles down with a combo of children's tyenol and childrens motrin alternated, per doctors instructions. They are bigger today so hopefully the doctor will get him set with antibiotics tomorrow and have some other advice.

10-01-03, 02:22 PM (EST)
11. "The Doctor Said"
That Zach has strep throat. Now I am not saying the doctor is wrong, but my oldest daughter had strep throat like every other month and she never got swollen lymph nodes but I also know that each person reacts differently to things. Anyway, he is now on antibiotics and hopefully will be all better soon.

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

10-01-03, 02:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: The Doctor Said"
Hope he gets well soon!

OceansAngel16 172 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-01-03, 02:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail OceansAngel16 Click to send private message to OceansAngel16 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: The Doctor Said"
Did they take a swab of his throat? or did the doctor just look at it and make an educated guess? Either way the antibiotics should help. I hope he does get better soon, I know having glands that swollen is no fun at all.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •