The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"This is the best Survivor yet"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

BigBastard 259 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

11-22-01, 10:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BigBastard Click to send private message to BigBastard Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"This is the best Survivor yet"
So why are people not so into it this time around? This is my honest opinion. I look back at the first two, and I'm simply amazed at how much this one kicks their rears.

The first two were amazingly predictable. Sure nobody know Richard would take the alliance to the end because nobody had seen the show before. There was always some doubt. Then came SII, and it was TOTALLY predictable. The merger had Jeff go, and everyone knew the Ogakors would pick em off, one by one. Yet that one got more ratings than the first.

Fast forward to Survivor III. Now personally, I am staying away from EBT and the spoiler board. I have amazed myself at the self control I have not to click on any sites that will spoil the show for me this time. I must say, I have NO IDEA who's getting the boot ever since that switcheroo they pulled. Who the hell would have thought Clarence would go WITHOUT analyzing tapes and studying the EBT board and listening to a source from CBS?

But that's not really the reason I think this one is the best of them all. What I'm really liking this time around is I have them ALL TO ROOT FOR. Lindsey got booted, Silas got booted, and soon hopefully Branden will get booted. For once, it's the good guys that are winning. For once, I don't get totally pissed off when I see someone win something. Instead, I go "YAY!"

Some may argue that that's BORING. That we need an evil one. I disagree. What we need are FUNNY ones, and we got that. I crack up whenever Tom opens his mouth. Especially when he said he would take Theresa any day of the week! I like when Frank says he hates them all and doesn't want to hang around with them. I don't know exactly why, but this season I find myself laughing more as I watch the show as opposed to ripping my hair out because Jerri wasn't voted out of the tribe. And maybe it was the terrorists or something, but I prefer to laugh this time around.

Also, the challenges are not at all that uncreative this time around. The only one the directly copied was the SOS challenge stolen from Survivor I. The disgusting bugs thing this time was BLOOD. I liked the hut building challenge and the goat herding challenge, and the boulder rolling challenge. They were very unique.

Screw all the critics. For whatever reson people are not watching this time around (and instead watching FREINDS?! That show is SOOOO tired...), I say it's their loss. This Survivor is the best one so far. I think Survivor 2 was the worst, and the first one comes in second place simply because it was so new and different at the time.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: This is the best Survivor yet Uberwench 11-22-01 1
 RE: This is the best Survivor yet northernlights 11-23-01 2
 RE: This is the best Survivor yet Fast Eddie 11-23-01 3
 RE: This is the best Survivor yet HeronNoire 11-23-01 4
 RE: This is the best Survivor yet Slymmer 11-23-01 5
   RE: This is the best Survivor yet LionChow 11-26-01 6
       RE: This is the best Survivor yet Fast Eddie 11-26-01 7
 ELISABETH BaquaR13 11-26-01 8
 The problem is the people and the g... PagongRatEater 11-27-01 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Uberwench 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

11-22-01, 10:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Uberwench Click to send private message to Uberwench Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: This is the best Survivor yet"
You're preaching to the choir here; I'm loving the show this season.

I agree that the challenges aren't as "same old, same old" and that it's just a much funnier show (although sadly, with the loss of tonight's bootee, a lot of the best humor will be lost). I'm not, however, so sure that the only people left standing at the end of it all will be ones I can root for. Kelly seemed like quite the witch-with-a-capital-B during this episode, Lex lost a lot of his cool, and a couple of folks I otherwise like whole bunches wound up lying right to the bootee's face. I know it's a liar's game, but *good* liars evade the questions altogether rather than be trapped in their own fabrications. (Lex does get additional cool points, though, for the use of the prefix "Uber" in describing the spoon---for obvious reasons. Heh.)

Still, I'm finding the show utterly magnetic and think it's by far the fastest hour on television. I canNOT wait until the next new show.

-----The Wench...no, make that the Uberwench!

P.S.---I'm soooo glad the major spoilers smell of red herring and humble pie now!

northernlights 5058 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-23-01, 12:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail northernlights Click to send private message to northernlights Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: This is the best Survivor yet"
>So why are people not so
>into it this time around?

I'm still a huge fan of the show but something is missing for me this season. I think it is an obvious favorite to cheer for. The people that I really disliked are gone (Silas, Lindsey, Linda) and now I'm not sure I really have even one or two contestants that I hope will win. Its not that I dislike the remaining contestants, its just that nobody stands out as my obvious favorite (unlike SII - Tina, Elizabeth, Rodger, Jeff and SI - Jenna, Colleen, Rudy).

>But that's not really the reason
>I think this one is
>the best of them all.

So far SII has been my personal favorite.

> For once, it's the
>good guys that are winning.
> For once, I don't
>get totally pissed off when
>I see someone win something.
> Instead, I go "YAY!"

I agree. It wouldn't have mattered who won immunity because I think I like them all about the same amount. I'm still hoping that someone will develop into someone that I can really cheer for.

> What we need are
>FUNNY ones, and we got
>that. I crack up
>whenever Tom opens his mouth.

And maybe it
>was the terrorists or something,
>but I prefer to laugh
>this time around.

Totally agree! I want more laughing too. Tom cracks (no pun intended) me up and even Brandon has made me giggle a time or two. I would rather laugh at something they've done than be pissed off and ranting at them all the time.

Fast Eddie 625 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

11-23-01, 05:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fast%20Eddie Click to send private message to Fast%20Eddie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: This is the best Survivor yet"
There are two kinds of people who watch this show:
1) those who are fans of game playing,
2) those who are looking for entertainment.

Although there is certainly overlap, I believe the second group greatly outnumbers the first. From CBS's point of view, the only thing that matters is how many eyeballs are watching. So they will cater more to entertainment.

This has game fans upset, and they generally feel that this is a much poorer version. They want to see the rules stay the same throughout the game, so that the players can plan and execute strategy properly. The gamers also want to see good players, people who study the game in advance, learn from previous games, and play better than those who came before.

But none of this matters for entertainment purposes. People who are interested in who is good looking, cute, cool, pleasant, popular, etc. (like most people who post on this conference) don't care about the game. They just want to be entertained.

I'm not putting that down. There's no right/wrong, good/bad in these two points of view. It just explains why some people think S3 is great and others think it's a new low. The problem is, games are unique and can continue for a very long time, like baseball and football. Entertainment comes and goes. A particular genre will be hot for a while, then the next hot thing comes along and yesterday's hit is cancelled. I fear that CBS is selling out the long term by going for short term success.

HeronNoire 68 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

11-23-01, 05:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail HeronNoire Click to send private message to HeronNoire Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: This is the best Survivor yet"
I'm liking this SIII so far but I admit, the first few episodes kind of threw me. But then, thinking back -- I felt that way with SII as well. Sometimes it takes several shows to build up a feel for the characters -- to know who to root for and who you hope gets harassed by hyenas. As it is right now, I'm really looking forward to the next few episodes, which I think will be pivotal. As far as needing a villan... that's true in some ways but you know, I think the villians are not all gone. We now have Lex wanting to chop people's heads off. And Frank has become a little like SIII's Rudy -- if only he'd talk more, we'd get more one-liners out of him!

Slymmer 61 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

11-23-01, 09:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Slymmer Click to send private message to Slymmer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: This is the best Survivor yet"
LAST EDITED ON 11-23-01 AT 09:47 PM (EST)

I agree with the BigB here. I am actually enjoying this one more then the first and about the same as the second though. As a 50/50 gamer and please entertain me watcher, I have to say that the twists in the game have actually been very refreshing. The game is to see who can outlast and outwit and thus, out survive. They should be given any and all kinds of different things to mess them up. That is the game! these alliances are okay but predictable and boring from an entertainment standpoint they were only interesting the first time around to see if they could be maintained, the hype around them in the last two seasons is only because they have shown to be a ticket to the merge. I really wish that they could do this live or sort of live and let the viewers vote them off. The only down side to that would be the little boy and girl fan clubs who would vote on looks rather then skill. (no offense to those individuals but looks are not the game)

I am also shocked to see this season not doing so well, I have definatley found it a welcome relief to the constant drowning out mumble that is the "News" the rest of the week. Thank goodness for cable and the discovery channel.

Edited Cause Slymmer can't type!

LionChow 2033 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

11-26-01, 04:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LionChow Click to send private message to LionChow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: This is the best Survivor yet"
I agree with much of what you all have said and Slymmer in particular. I think the twist(s) have been a major improvement to the game and will bear fruit in the coming weeks, as original tribal alliances are tested and strained. Were the switch not introduced, surely we would have a weekly Samburu pick-off on our hands for a few weeks to come. Yes, it still may work out that way, but at least there is considerable question about it and plenty of potential for fireworks later.

Many criticize MB, but the man has a franchise to build and maintain. If you are building a product and begin getting feedback from your customers (us) that something is not working right (unbreakable tribal alliances after the merge), wouldn't you want to try improving it? MB has directly attacked the tribal problem with a viable solution, and I feel it has worked quite well. I don't think it had anything to do with breaking up the GXA, but rather, it was something that he planned on using the first time the tribes were balanced (in number of bodies). In this case, it came at 6 people apiece. Maybe the original alliances will hold, but for now, there is reason to speculate about Kelly, MamaKim, Theresa, Lex and others. Plus, the sub-alliances within Boran have been altered by the breakup.

Add it up and, yes, you've got the best Survivor yet. I'm loving it so far and I think it will only get better.

As for Friends and the Nielson drop off, I would chalk that up to alot of people needing a little uncomplicated laughter instead of scheming and backstabbing. Alot of folks are really stressed out and down, so Rachel, Ross, etc. provide a nice vapid relief from the REAL reality the has become our world. Don't see anything wrong with that.

Fast Eddie 625 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

11-26-01, 06:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fast%20Eddie Click to send private message to Fast%20Eddie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: This is the best Survivor yet"
It's the game vs entertainment thing again. Yes, the game was flawed and needed to be repaired. This happens with every game and the rules get changed - baseball, football, Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, you name it. However, it's not fair to change the rules in the middle of the game, and that is turning off the gamers. The rules could have been changed in advance, with everyone informed. Or, they could have simply put the camps side-by-side so that people would all get to know each other, planning future alliances and being very comfortable with each other post-merge. This could also add a new dimension by trading supplies.

Those looking for simple entertainment probably aren't watching anyway; this is a show that you have to follow, not just catch the occasional episode. I suspect that most people are in the 50-50 category - the actual game is nice but secondary.

But can MB afford to lose the gamers? Note that viewership is down in Australia as well, where your theory doesn't hold.

BaquaR13 1336 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

11-26-01, 07:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BaquaR13 Click to send private message to BaquaR13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "ELISABETH"
I guess that i really dont have that good of an arguement to plead my case. But if you take a look back i think the characters on the other shows were better. YOU ABSOLUTELY CANNOT TOP ELISABETH, and therefore no one could beat Survivor Africa. Everyone was rooting for her and was sad when she got kicked off; besides Kim P i havent really found anyone else that stands out to being even close to her.

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-27-01, 12:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "The problem is the people and the game"
There is no one who I really like in this show. The characters on S3 are all unique, yet for some reason I have not gotten attached to any of them. NO ONE is really likeable and I think that a large part of that is the fact that S3 has been almost totally about alliances and very little about surviving. I appreciate what MB has done to try to shake that up (image how boring this show would have been if Samburu had not gotten broken up. Somehow they have to get the focus back onto the survival aspect of the game.

I'd also add that this has been the nastiest game of Survivor yet. The show has been, for the most part, just plain mean. I haven't enjoyed the nastiness that we saw - especially in the early part of the show. Just when Boran had a cool, Kucha vibe going - they broke them up.

I hope that the next group of survivors learns from S3 that you cannot put all of your trust in alliances. Now that the game has changed, I hope we get back to basics and get away from the extreme focus on the personal politics aspect of the game.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •