The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

archon 178 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-21-04, 10:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail archon Click to send private message to archon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
Hello fellow DAW's...

After watching last nights show, I could not hold back my desire to rant any longer...

First -- some background.. I LOVE female voices. LOVE LOVE LOVE... Sarah Mclachlan, Sheryl Crow, Garbage, Fleetwood Mac, Pat Benatar, Blondie, Julie Simon (she was on MP3.com, but that site is not up yet), Cindy Alexander, Cowboy Junkies, Lush...

LOVE Female singers....

BUT...

I am tired of these modern day so-called "D"ivas... So tired. How could any of these even consider themselves "D"?

Aretha? D!
Babs? D!
Celine? D! (even though i cant stand her)
Diana Ross? D!
Gladys Knight? D!
Cher? D!

I'll give you Queen Latifah as a "D", since she is a larger-than-life performer...

I LOVE SARAH MCLACHLAN! She has accomplished quite a bit in the music industry (remember Lilith Fair?) But is she a "D"? No...

But why do any of the women in this competition think they should even be considered to be a "D"? What dues have they paid? How many albumns have they sold? How many cities have they toured? How have they changed the music world?

At this point, their only claim to fame is that they can get teens to pick up a phone and call their number. Thats it.

It is not only personality that makes you a "D". Its not only talent. It is not only a long established career. Its not only a combination of the 3. There's a uniqueness to the performer. A connection to the audience that is just theirs.

As for 3 of our AI finalist, they should never allow themselves to be even talked about a "D"s. If refered to as a "D", they should humbly, but instantly reply back with "Not me...Not yet...But someday..."

LaToya and Jennifer are semi-pros, so they are probably closer to being "D"s than the rest of the women. But last nights performances just sealed the deal for the women in this competition. They must ALL perform like "D"s or they will be out. Jasmine tried to bring it to that level -- and cannot do it. Diana was my pick for this competition -- but I want her out of there as well. Why? Because she is trying to be the "D" that she is not. Shes only 16!! You CANNOT be a "D" at 16. And while the raw talent is there, she has NO idea who she is and is trying desperately to be like LaToya,Jen, and Fantasia.

What ever happened to just singing -- with passion? Conveying the emotions of the song with your voice and expressions? All this overproducing and over-emoting... Its tiring... Its boring...When I listen to a performer, I should be able to tell the emotion in the voice -- I shouldnt have to SEE the performer conveying the emotion to tell if there is any emotion there.

Talent is not measured in how long you can hold a clear note (you can look at James Taylor for example) -- its about connecting to your audience. Its about having your OWN identity. Its about making your audience feel what you feel.

The 3 major wanna-be-"D"s all sound like someone else. Besides the theatrics, they dont have their own style and voice. In LaToya and Jen's cases, maybe its because when you sing at weddings and on cruise ships, you sing the song like the original artist would perform it -- thats what the audience wants. So, maybe they can't be blamed so much. Fantasia just sounds too much like Macie, and since she has flip-flopped her persona these past few weeks, I cannot tell if she is sincere in who she is presenting herself as...

At this point, I am rooting for George and Conan/Stan/Johny-red. Why? Because these two KNOW who they are. They are sincere about the image they project. They are talented. They connect to their audience. Unfortunately for Red, he is too young for this competition. He will, however, mature and have a future in the music industry for no other reason than the fact that he is unique and people LIKE him. As for George, I have no idea what happened to him this week. Either he is losing his voice or had a serious sinus blockage. But people LIKE him. He is (and I hate quoting Paula) infectous. And when you hear him sing, you know EXACTLY who it is. You can see the joy he has in performing.

If this is going to turn out to be an all "D" final, then I will have no reason to watch it. I'm already much to bored...

Thanks for letting me rant...

Archon
(The opinions in this rant do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Mrs. Archon, but, she would probably agree with them too..)

"You can get more with a 2x4 and a kind word than with just a kind word." (Marcus, B5)

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words Mistral 04-21-04 1
   RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words archon 04-21-04 4
 RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words nailbone 04-21-04 2
   RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words archon 04-21-04 3
 Absolutely! zombiebaby 04-21-04 5
   RE: Absolutely! So_Opinionated 04-21-04 27
 RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words JOSHIDOL 04-21-04 6
   RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words archon 04-21-04 22
 Right on emydi 04-21-04 7
   RE: Right on archon 04-21-04 26
 RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words Chrissy gal 04-21-04 8
   RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words JOSHIDOL 04-21-04 9
       RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words archon 04-21-04 25
   RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words archon 04-21-04 23
 RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words greenmonstah 04-21-04 10
   I *heart* Archon Breezy 04-21-04 11
       RE: I *heart* Archon archon 04-21-04 15
           *big smooch* Breezy 04-21-04 29
 RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words shedevil 04-21-04 12
   RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words JOSHIDOL 04-21-04 13
       RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words shedevil 04-21-04 14
   RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words archon 04-21-04 21
       RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words shedevil 04-21-04 28
 RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words Skeery Klown 04-21-04 16
   RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words archon 04-21-04 20
   RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words 1simplyme 04-27-04 34
 RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words callalilly3000 04-21-04 17
 The Very Model of a Modern Major Ge... Angelfood 04-21-04 18
   RE: The Very Model of a Modern Majo... archon 04-21-04 19
       RE: The Very Model of a Modern Majo... Angelfood 04-21-04 30
 RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words GrendelsMom 04-21-04 24
 RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words TODDLJ 04-26-04 31
   RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words Flipper 04-26-04 32
       RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words theincrediblehugey 04-27-04 33
   RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words 1simplyme 04-27-04 35
       RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words TODDLJ 04-27-04 36
   RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words archon 04-27-04 37
   thanks Larry Breezy 04-27-04 38

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Mistral 205 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-21-04, 10:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Mistral Click to send private message to Mistral Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
Enjoyed your post! You make a lot of good points. I even agree with your list of Divas, except for Cher who, IMHO, is much better as an actress than she ever was as a singer. I'd even stick Annie Lennox in there since she has the most incredible range and powerful voice I think I've ever heard.

I think "Diva" is a word that is thrown around so much that it has become generic and has lost its true meaning. Wasn't there a show on recently featuring "Divas" such as Jessica Simpson (?!?!?!?!) and a few others I haven't heard of.

You're right; that term should be saved for the very worthy and for those who have passed the test of time and consistency. But I think they're just misusing the word.

04-21-04, 10:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail archon Click to send private message to archon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
Thanx Mistral..

Forgot about Annie! But I still stand by Cher - its her acting that adds to the "D" quality...

I think VH1 had the "Divas" show... Divas? I dont think so...

Jessica, Brittany, Christina -- popular today -- all forgetable in the future...

I truly beleive that we do not have an up-and-coming "D" in the music industry today...

Archon

"You can get more with a 2x4 and a kind word than with just a kind word." (Marcus, B5)

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-21-04, 10:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
Whoo boy! Where's Larry when you need him? We need a true definitive definition of a Diva, and he's just the guy to do it!

Cool new sig courtesy of Jslice o-

04-21-04, 10:37 AM (EST)
3. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
YES! I think I could trust his judgement on this!

Archon

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-04, 11:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Absolutely!"
Agree completely. Just another example of today's media and how they take a genre, word or topic and beat to the ground until it is meaningless.

(Although I guess I am glad for them doing this with "reality tv")

Jessica Simpson a "Diva" ? Com'on! Anyone with less than 30 years experience should not even be considered. OK maybe not 30 years but you get my point.

***Keeping it plain & simple since 19XX***

So_Opinionated 177 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-04, 08:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail So_Opinionated Click to send private message to So_Opinionated Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Absolutely!"
If not 30 years 20 years min. for Diva qualifications. It's sad that they have misused and abused the term but I would hope tha the newbies of the music industry do not believe they are DIVAS. When they fade into darkness after 3 albums they will know the difference then if they don't know now.

JOSHIDOL 275 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-04, 11:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail JOSHIDOL Click to send private message to JOSHIDOL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
WOW!!! You said it exactly. I am so sick and tired of hearing Divas. Come on please, it takes years of talent and experience to create a Diva. Latoya seems to have the Diva attitude when she stands thee and says "Yes I know I can win this competition". Well hellooooo has anyone mentioned to her that America decides or so we are led to believe.
I read where George was sick but I do agree he is genuine in what he is doing and even if he had a bad performance he still enjoyed himself. It is so obvious and Simon always makes reference to the fact that the so called 3 Divas hate each other. Diana thinks she is in their league and Jasmine, week after week its the same safe songs, BORING......
I say America needs to put an end to this Wannabe Diva thing.

04-21-04, 08:03 PM (EST)
22. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
Josh...

Barring some major voting discrepancies, I think it will truly be an all-"D" finish. It seems to be what America (for some unknown reason) wants. You know Simon wants it -- he does keep pushing the "3D" effect.

Maybe its a lash out against the Clay/Reuben final last year...

Archon

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-04, 12:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "Right on"
Archon,

I couldnt have said it better..great post.

Simon went ahead and fueled the fire last nite by calling them the 3 Ds. Jasmine and Diana are wanna be wanna be Ds

I agree, George and John both have a unique sound and people like them. They will not win this competition but they will succeed in the music business i think--George more quickly than John who needs to first graduate h.s. for pete's sake and then go to college and be music major all the while getting voice lessons. There's a great singer inside John waiting to be unleashed.

emydi

04-21-04, 08:13 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Right on"
Emydi...

I think John could be very Barry M. with a few years of maturing. Not a bad career to have... He can sing and people do like him as a person. But he doesnt belong in this competition any longer... Fortunately for him, AI3 wont be the end of his career...

Archon

Chrissy gal 1413 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-21-04, 04:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Chrissy%20gal Click to send private message to Chrissy%20gal Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
**Chrissy gal stands up in her office and applauds Archon**

You said it!! I think they are boring, too! And Divas?? Pffft!

I sure hope George stays and does better next week.

(And here is my disclaimer - Latoya, Jennifer and Fantasia all have decent voices, but *I* do not enjoy listening to them or watching them perform.)

04-21-04, 04:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JOSHIDOL Click to send private message to JOSHIDOL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
I voted for George last night despite his performance but he still looked like he enjoyed himself. I was turned off my Fantasia's baby on stage. I was turned off by Latoya proclaiming herself the winner and I was turned off by Jennifer saying this is me Jenn. Diva wannabes. I am convinced just like last year those 3 could come out and open their mouths to sing and nothing comes out but Randy, Simon and Paula would say it was the best non vocals they have ever not heard. Remember if Stevens goes and then by some fluke (we hope not) George were to go, you would be tuning in every week to watch these Cats perform.. Boring....

04-21-04, 08:10 PM (EST)
25. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
Didnt Nikki Mc-Kar-e-oke do the same thing with her child in season 1? I dont remember thinking that was tasteful then either...

"I am convinced just like last year those 3 could come out and open their mouths to sing and nothing comes out but Randy, Simon and Paula would say it was the best non vocals they have ever not heard"

rotflmao

Archon

04-21-04, 08:05 PM (EST)
23. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
**Chrissy gal stands up in her office and applauds Archon**

Coming from you Chrissy gal -- i am honored -- and bow humbly before you...

Hope you didnt make too much of a scene at the office...

Archon

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-04, 04:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
Has Breezy seen this yet?

Welcome Archon. Great post!

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-04, 04:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "I *heart* Archon"
If refered to as a "D", they should humbly, but instantly reply back with "Not me...Not yet...But someday...

Will you marry me Archon?

I'm sure my husband will understand.

04-21-04, 05:01 PM (EST)
15. "RE: I *heart* Archon"
Well Breezy...

If your husband is understanding...
and my wife is understanding...

well -- that could be magical!!

Archon

Uh Oh -- my wife just read this posting... She's pregnant with our first child... maybe this is not the best time to carry on an illicit, yet stimulating, extra-marital relationship...

04-21-04, 09:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "*big smooch*"
And big congratulations to you and your wonderful wife!!!!!

shedevil 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-21-04, 04:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
Jennifer blows the rest of the finalists away, because I feel her voice is the only one that gives me chills, it is beautiful.I will just say one thing in regard to your comments:

As for 3 of our AI finalist, they should never allow themselves to be even talked about a "D"s. If refered to as a "D", they should humbly, but instantly reply back with "Not me...Not yet...But someday..."

I think it would be fair for those women to do that if Stevens, George, Diana and Jasmine reply to their positive comments by saying "I can't sing, tell me I can when I actually prove it."

04-21-04, 04:49 PM (EST)
13. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
I thought you said Fantasia's voice was screechy??? She is now a Diva,, a screechy diva...

04-21-04, 04:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
I thought you said Fantasia's voice was screechy??? She is now a Diva,, a screechy diva...

Sorry to confuse you. I was responding to this comment:

I didn't say Fantasia is a Diva, others are putting her in the category of the "3D's". Please don't put words in my mouth. I believe I refered to them as "those women". Please don't dissect my comments today, I'm not in the mood.

04-21-04, 07:59 PM (EST)
21. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
Hey 'devil...

Not gonna argue about Jennifer's talent.. Its there. But I still dont think she is having the opportunity to show herself. What do the songs make her feel? Is she conveying those emotions.

Im dont believe she is "feeling" the songs inside, and therefore, not making me feel them.

"I feel her voice is the only one that gives me chills, it is beautiful"
Can't fault you there -- hopefully they will give her the chance to sing a song she connects with inside.

"I can't sing, tell me I can when I actually prove it."
hehehehehe... love that...

But I still think George has a great talent....

Archon

04-21-04, 08:15 PM (EST)
28. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
Can't fault you there -- hopefully they will give her the chance to sing a song she connects with inside.

I can't argue on this, because we feel differently on about it, but only Jennifer knows what she feels when she sings.

"I can't sing, tell me I can when I actually prove it."
hehehehehe... love that...But I still think George has a great talent....

I'm glad you got a kick out of it, because it was meant to be taken in a fun way. I actually think George has a pretty good voice most of the time, I only included him because I was including everyone that's not in the "3D's". He would actually be the one out of the non-ds that I think has the most chance of a music career.

Skeery Klown 24 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-21-04, 05:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Skeery%20Klown Click to send private message to Skeery%20Klown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
Divas Rawk!
btw you forgot patti labelle and chaka khan
these girls might not be divas but they sure sound good
nuff said

04-21-04, 07:51 PM (EST)
20. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
Yep to Patti...

Not sure about Chaka -- great voice, but didnt really change the music scene all that much...

Archon

1simplyme 55 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-27-04, 08:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail 1simplyme Click to send private message to 1simplyme Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
Patti and Chaka helped put the D in Diva.
Simply put, Simply me.

callalilly3000 693 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-21-04, 06:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail callalilly3000 Click to send private message to callalilly3000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
All I can say to you is "THANK YOU THANK YOU!!" For saying everyting I have wanted to say, but didn't know how.

Great post!

Calla

Angelfood 2114 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

04-21-04, 07:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Angelfood Click to send private message to Angelfood Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "The Very Model of a Modern Major General"
You quoted Marcus Cole!

me love you.

and the preg wife too!

04-21-04, 07:49 PM (EST)
19. "RE: The Very Model of a Modern Major General"
Thanks Angel!

You're the only one who's picked up on tag-line. Nice to know other B5 people are out there...

Just got the season 5 dvds... know what I'll be doing after the results show tonight....

Archon

ps--love your subject line...

Angelfood 2114 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

04-21-04, 09:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Angelfood Click to send private message to Angelfood Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: The Very Model of a Modern Major General"
hey.
yes.
When he sang that song, I almost.. well, we'll discuss it later. I'm busy for a few days, but will PM you sometime soon.

GrendelsMom 3272 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-21-04, 08:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GrendelsMom Click to send private message to GrendelsMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
In my book, A-Kim is the only Diva I will openly acknowledge without torture. This Idol wannabes? aren't even worthy of being termed Anotherdiva.

<==flashed by J_Loaf
even though she probably won't ever see it, giving Kim a shout-out anyway.

TODDLJ 421 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-26-04, 08:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TODDLJ Click to send private message to TODDLJ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
I've been called upon to define 'Diva,' and, as somewhat of an expert, I will attempt to do so.

Firstly, be aware that the negative connotation given to Diva is a new thing. The word itself is very old, and typically was meant as a sincere compliment to a powerful opera star. Sure, being a Diva means that you are entitled to special treatment. But it doesn't mean you have to demand it in an arrogant or rude way, it simply means you deserve to be put on a pedestal, because that is why pedestals exist.

A true Diva is someone who is able to grasp on a very visceral level what is completely and truly unique about themself, and allow that distinctive light, complete with the full spectrum of their innate and learned talents, to light up all those who are lucky enough to be around them.

The key word in this is 'unique.' No imitators, no hangers-on, no cookie-cutters, no followers.

Notice that to be a Diva it is not required that you be good looking. In fact, most Divas are odd looking, because their oddity sets them apart. If Barbra Streisand got a nose job early in her career, she probably never would have become a star.

Notice that to be a Diva it is not required that you be exceptionally talented... just that you use the full measure of this talent. Someone like Madonna with limited vocal skills can be a Diva, by using her other skills to compensate.

It also doesn't mean you need to be agressive, loud, or overpowering. Sometimes, a quiet elegant presence, like Audrey Hepburn, can immediately grab you with her distinctive inner glow. (I would argue that Sarah McLachlan IS a Diva, in the best sense of the word. When you hear her distinctive voice, you immediately know it is her, and are immediately moved by it.)

As far as Fantasia, Jennifer and LaToya... All three of these ladies aspire to be Divas in the best sense of the word. But, the truth is, none of these contestants are yet Divas.

Someone like Jennifer is well on her way; she's unique, odd, and she cannot be forgotten easily. She gives the audience everything she has, and wears her heart on her sleeve.

LaToya still appears to have a wall up of some kind, and until she really lets go and gives us everything she has, she can't be a Diva.

Fantasia seems to be a bit too much of a knockoff of someone like Macy Gray... she still needs to find more that is unique.

But all three have the potential to be a Diva (in the best sense of the word.)

Flipper 53 desperate attention whore postings

04-26-04, 08:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flipper Click to send private message to Flipper Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
Hi - I agree with TODDLJ's post that all the girls have the potential to one day achieve divadom. But I also think it's only fair to note that it was Simon who first brought up the "battle of the divas" phrase, probably because the AI producers wanted to hype that, I don't recall the girls ever referring to themselves as divas on the show. They seem more humble, but it's a fine line they have to walk, appearing poised and self-confident, yet not egomaniacal. Remember Reuben always voiced self-confidence and never waivered in his belief that he would win, despite the acknowledged close competition. I think mostly everyone admired his confidence and it didn't turn people off (btw-I'm not calling the big guy a Diva).

Flipper

Flipper

"It wasn't sorta, Jeff"

theincrediblehugey 141 desperate attention whore postings

04-27-04, 00:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail theincrediblehugey Click to send private message to theincrediblehugey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
>I also think it's only
>fair to note that it
>was Simon who first brought
>up the "battle of the
>divas" phrase, probably because the
>AI producers wanted to hype
>that, I don't recall the
>girls ever referring to themselves
>as divas on the show.

I've been reading comments about the "battle of the divas" for weeks on the message boards. When he said that, it occurred to me that Simon has probably been reading the message boards to get a feel for what people are saying about the contestants, and basing his comments on that.

For example, I read people complaining that Diana was too immature to understand the deeper meaning in the songs she was singing long before Simon started commenting on it.

People on the boards have long been complaining about the flower in Jasmine's hair, and sure enough, Simon starts telling her to lose the flower.

This may be just another one of my oddball ideas, but...maybe...

1simplyme 55 desperate attention whore postings

04-27-04, 09:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail 1simplyme Click to send private message to 1simplyme Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
OK people, whenever I'm in need of a true definition of a word, I turn to good old Webster. I'm sure you must know this but here goes:

Diva = A prima donna. An operatic prima donna.
Prima Donna = A leading woman singer, as in an opera company. A conceited and temperamental person. A self centered person.

The definitions came from the Office Edition Webster's II New Riverside and Webster's II New College. (Dictionary)

Of course society has used the word diva and many other words to mean whatever.

Wake up people!

TODDLJ 421 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-27-04, 12:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TODDLJ Click to send private message to TODDLJ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
Well, not to be argumentative, but the 'conceited and tempermental' and 'self-centered' parts of the definition are alternate meanings, not the primary one.

The primary definition is just 'Leading Lady.' (Prima Donna, in Italian, simply means 'First Lady'.)

We've associated the negative connotations because of the stereotype that Leading Ladies are all b!tches. Of course, stereotypes exist for a reason, and I can't argue that many Divas are b!tches. I maintain that it is not required for a Diva to be a b!tch.

04-27-04, 04:34 PM (EST)
37. "RE: So D*mn tired of the "D" words"
TODDLJ...

Thanks for the insight into the "D" word. It is my sincere hope that after last weeks voting -- we will have heard the last of that word for this competition...

As for Sarah being a "D"... well, I may have to reconsider that (I do love her so.....)

Archon
Always open to learning new things...

04-27-04, 04:46 PM (EST)
38. "thanks Larry"
That was a great summary on how and who is a true Diva.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •