The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Iyanla"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over Individual Houseguest Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

tagalong 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

09-26-05, 04:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tagalong Click to send private message to tagalong Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Iyanla"
Hello,
I have been watching Starting Over since day one.I tape it everyday.
I am finding myself fast forwarding the tape everytime Iyanla comes on.
I found her to be very harsh when she speaks to people she does not let those get a word in. I know this may sound harsh but I am truly not enjoying her advice at all,this season.
If it were not for Rhonda I probably would not watch the show anymore.I started to feel this way about her toward the end of last the season and thought that she would make some changes,for the new Season.
I hope to see her listen and be a little more compassionate with everyone and not just the ones she chooses to like.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Iyanla Calee 09-26-05 1
   RE: Iyanla lilN20 09-26-05 2
 RE: Iyanla crazygroupiegirl 09-26-05 3
   RE: Iyanla jolome 09-28-05 18
 RE: Iyanla shelby2000 09-26-05 4
 RE: Iyanla flower2 09-26-05 5
   RE: Iyanla KaseyHailey 09-26-05 6
       RE: Iyanla mightyriver 09-26-05 7
           RE: Iyanla megpie 09-26-05 9
       RE: Iyanla flower2 09-28-05 19
 RE: Iyanla heartmatters 09-26-05 8
   RE: Iyanla AHardyKelley 09-27-05 10
 RE: Iyanla sh33na 09-27-05 11
 RE: Iyanla nrgh43 09-27-05 12
 RE: Iyanla kamille8 09-27-05 13
 RE: Iyanla hitechgirl 09-27-05 14
   RE: Iyanla Woo 09-28-05 15
 RE: Iyanla Kozy 09-28-05 16
 RE: Iyanla Doeskin 09-28-05 17
   RE: Iyanla McQuiet 09-29-05 20
       RE: Iyanla sh33na 09-29-05 21
           RE: Iyanla slimgoody 09-29-05 22
 RE: Iyanla jernadjez 09-29-05 23
 RE: Iyanla penny81171 09-29-05 24
 RE: Iyanla schumacher 09-29-05 25
 RE: Iyanla TLake 09-29-05 26
 RE: Iyanla Tookie 09-29-05 27
   RE: Iyanla Shoe Diva 09-29-05 29
 RE: Iyanla Butterfli000 09-29-05 28
   RE: Iyanla Opuriah 09-30-05 30

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Calee 1 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-05, 05:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Calee Click to send private message to Calee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Iyanla"
>Hello,
>I have been watching Starting Over
>since day one.I tape it
>everyday.
>I am finding myself fast forwarding
>the tape everytime Iyanla comes
>on.
>I found her to be very
>harsh when she speaks to
>people she does not let
> those get a word
>in. I know this
>may sound harsh but I
>am truly not enjoying her
>advice at all,this season.
>If it were not for Rhonda
>I probably would not watch
>the show anymore.I started to
>feel this way about her
>toward the end of last
>the season and thought that
>she would make some changes,for
>the new Season.
>I hope to see her listen
>and be a little more
>compassionate with everyone and not
>just the ones she chooses
>to like.

I completely disagree, Iyanla simply doesn't sugarcoat her advice. These folks should know what they are in for when they sign up for the show. Excuses and explanations should be left behind. As Iyanla says "healing ain't always pretty"

lilN20 14 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

09-26-05, 05:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lilN20 Click to send private message to lilN20 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Iyanla"
i think that iyanla speaks the truth and she doesn't sugar coat anything for you. I Also feel that, thats what the people come on the show for. was for someone to tell them the truth about themselfs even if it bad. and of course your not going to like hearing that from someone else but thats the truth. and if you can't take it you don't need to be on the show then.

crazygroupiegirl 46 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

09-26-05, 06:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail crazygroupiegirl Click to send private message to crazygroupiegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Iyanla"
I agree to some degree. She needs to clue into each person's personality and talk on their level. Some people need to be yelled at and others need it to be spelled out for them to get it. If Iyanla talked to me like that, I would not be happy. Being yelled at doesn't get me to understand anything.

jolome 1 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-05, 04:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jolome Click to send private message to jolome Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Iyanla"
Hello there,

I am actually commenting on several posts. In the beginning I was put off by Iyanla's approach. However, after watching the show again I realized that there is a need for her way of working with people. People are different and I believe that's why the show has coaches with different styles.

Iyanla can come off as "harsh." But guess what? Life can be harsh. Even with her approach it's evident that she does what she does with love and concern. And from what I can see it's done only when necessary. This show is not about wasting time and playing games. It's about getting the thing done so that people can live better and more fulfilling lives.

I love Rhonda and Iyanla.

The comment that another board member made about "Be a good day" is about being what it is you yourself are seeking. If you are seeking love, be loving, if you are seeking understanding be understanding yourself. If you are seeking a good day, be what you can be to cause others to experience a good day.

Thanks for the opportunity to voice my opinion.

shelby2000 39 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-05, 07:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shelby2000 Click to send private message to shelby2000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Iyanla"
OMG! I do the same thing when I watch the tapes of SO. I am a huge fan of Rhonda's and I don't think I would watch it if she wasn't on. It's not that Iyanla is a bad LC or isn't awesome, it's that my personality that gels more with someone like Rhonda.

I did however, enjoy the relationship Iyanla had with Jennifer from last season. She never let Jennifer give up and "made" her work through her issues. I particularly loved it when she tried, for the longest, to get Jennifer to face her anger by hitting that anger block with a bat one evening. All the ladies had a turn and were all successful at expressing their anger, except Jennifer. Once Jennifer broke down and cried, Iyanla cried and hugged her really tight. She told Jennifer she couldn't change what happened to her as a child, but that if she could she would and she was sorry Jennifer had to go through what she did as a child.

I especially loved it when Iyanla had Sinae, Towanda and Josie act as Jennifer's family and stand in a circle around her. Jennifer's assignment was to tell her family how angry she was with them. It was great! Afterwards, Iyanla held Jennifer on her lap and cuddled her like she was six. Iyanla was being very tender, caring and motherly. Although, Rhonda is my favorite, I still think Iyanla is great.

flower2 171 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-26-05, 07:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail flower2 Click to send private message to flower2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Iyanla"
I find Iyanla to be very effective. Unfortunately, some people can't take her in your face style. Unlike Rhonda, she says what she thinks and what people REALLY need to hear! Great job IV!

KaseyHailey 3 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-05, 09:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KaseyHailey Click to send private message to KaseyHailey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Iyanla"
>I find Iyanla to be very
>effective. Unfortunately, some people can't
>take her in your face
>style. Unlike Rhonda, she says
>what she thinks and what
>people REALLY need to hear!
>Great job IV!

Its not her in your face style I dislike...its her insane way of calling all the people By Miss or Mr..Miss Kayce, MR Simon, Mr Lou, Miss Jennifer....I have to turn it off when she comes on and starts that Miss and Mr crap!!

mightyriver 6 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-05, 09:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mightyriver Click to send private message to mightyriver Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Iyanla"
Miss KaseyHailey, it is a real Southern thing to refer to another as Miss or Mister. Also a sign of respect to do so.

Suggestion, don't go South.

megpie 129 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-05, 10:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail megpie Click to send private message to megpie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Iyanla"
I am from the South East and we are taught to call people Miss or Mr. also. A form of respect. We also say Thank you and You are Welcome. I have also taught my kids to do the same and now I am teaching my small Grandchildren. Just something that is second nature to me and mine. Iyanla is a great LG's, she knows when to be rough and when to be gentle. JMO

flower2 171 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-05, 08:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail flower2 Click to send private message to flower2 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Iyanla"
It drives me crazy also. As far as her using it as a means of respecting people, it's interesting that she didn't respect anyone last season. Maybe it's something she developed over the summer. It can also be used to be sarcastic. Not sure of IVs motives.

heartmatters 6 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-05, 09:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail heartmatters Click to send private message to heartmatters Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Iyanla"
I agree, I think she's being way to hard on Jacklyn. It seems Jackyln's the only one wrong in the relationship, even though Michael had cheated on her. Could be the editing though.
However Iyanla's advice is far better than "whats her name" from the first season. Sry can't remember her name. She played favorites & gave BAD advice. IMHO

I hope the new season with the ladies is a bit lighter this year too. They need to have more fun.

AHardyKelley 1 desperate attention whore postings

09-27-05, 00:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail AHardyKelley Click to send private message to AHardyKelley Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Iyanla"
Outstanding!! Job well done as usual Iyanla. Your patience, caring and persistence in repecting the housemates is praiseworthy. Your unyeilding directness is often mistaken for being to harsh or unfeeling, however I see and understand it to be a very real, genuine and a honest way of dealing with the
life challenges that has these housemates in flux. I love the way you speak to, advise, and guide them with true understanding.
If it were possible, I would love to be a housemate myself, being a single parent of seven children! Yes, seven children; (2 biological and 5 adopted)but it would be very difficult, needless to say, to get the time away. I will continue to watch your marvelous work as well as Rhonda and dear Dr. Stan whom I also greatly enjoy and appreciate. Keep up the very good work and you are very much appreicated.

sh33na 451 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

09-27-05, 01:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sh33na Click to send private message to sh33na Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Iyanla"
I think Iyanla is a better LC than Rhonda. I appreciate her style. She has the ability to hone in on what can be worked on and how she should speak to each person. That is a skill that comes from somewhere other than "school."

"There's a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in."
_Leonard Cohen

nrgh43 5 desperate attention whore postings

09-27-05, 01:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nrgh43 Click to send private message to nrgh43 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Iyanla"
I don't agree with you. Iyanla is the LC and she means them no harm. Sometime the truth hurts and you have to go throught the pain to get to the other side. I think she is doing a great job. It is best to get to the point and not waste time grazing around it.

kamille8 32 desperate attention whore postings

09-27-05, 06:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kamille8 Click to send private message to kamille8 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Iyanla"
I love Iyanla and her style what does irritate me sometimes is some of her new age spiritual mumbo jumbo. When she says be a good day I want to vomit. But all in all I love when she tough on people. She reminds me of Dr. Phil. See the problem is everybody now a days is so sensitive she's telling it like it is. That's what these people need there a bunch of cry babies anyway.

hitechgirl 13 desperate attention whore postings

09-27-05, 08:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail hitechgirl Click to send private message to hitechgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Iyanla"
stay the way you are Iyanla,,,this shallow world needs you!

Woo 87 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

09-28-05, 10:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Woo Click to send private message to Woo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Iyanla"
I love Iyanla. She could be my LC any day of the week. I love that fact that she tells it like it is. She will get to the meat of the matter. I like that. Rhonda sugar coated la-dee-la approach is enough to drive me to drink.

Kozy 17 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-05, 01:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Kozy Click to send private message to Kozy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Iyanla"
Hi tagalong,

At first, during last season I didn't know if I was going to like Iyanla either. But I've grown to respect her insight, her strength in not allowing the women (and the men, in this case) to run over her. She is much more mature than that other girl was in Chicago (can't even remember her name) who allowed Rain to run the show. Iyanla has great compassion and I belive she truly enjoys helping people. Sometimes you gotta be tough and Iyanla has the guts and the gusto that it takes deal with people in crisis.

~Kozy in Chicago

Doeskin 8 desperate attention whore postings

09-28-05, 03:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Doeskin Click to send private message to Doeskin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Iyanla"
I love Iyanla's style!

She is succinct and strong when she speaks. Sometimes people need to be brought back to Earth when they get caught up in their own "stuff" and I feel she is very effective in doing so.
Sure gets my attention when she speaks!

I admire that kind of power in people who are fighting for the greater good in people. I feel it allows them to get beyond the surface.

Maybe I am difficult person, but Rhonda's style would feel patronizing to me. Guess that's why it's good to have both types of LC on the show - people respond to different strategies.

McQuiet 2 desperate attention whore postings

09-29-05, 01:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail McQuiet Click to send private message to McQuiet Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Iyanla"
LAST EDITED ON 09-29-05 AT 01:33 AM (EST)

She's got her good points - - - but she bugs the everlovin' crap out of me. Who knows why. Some people you click with right away, others you grow to love, and still others - well they just annoy you like a bad rash.

(I was responding to the overall messages and not the one above in particular. Have to figure out how to work my postings).

sh33na 451 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

09-29-05, 07:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sh33na Click to send private message to sh33na Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Iyanla"
Welcome to the boards!

"There's a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in."
_Leonard Cohen

slimgoody 1 desperate attention whore postings

09-29-05, 12:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail slimgoody Click to send private message to slimgoody Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Iyanla"
Hello everyone,

I don't really like Iyanla's style either. Maybe because the previous L.C. (Rana) had a less in your face approach and she listened and allowed the women to get their frustrations out. Iyanla just seems so impatient.

jernadjez 6 desperate attention whore postings

09-29-05, 03:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jernadjez Click to send private message to jernadjez Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Iyanla"
Iylana isn't harsh, she tells it how it is and sometimes that may come off as being harsh, but they are not in the house to hear things put in a gentle and sugar coating way...some people just don't respond to that. Iylana, although strong with her words, is also just as compassionate when she knows there has been a breakthrough, so I think that is a little unfair for her to be judged as such.

penny81171 1 desperate attention whore postings

09-29-05, 03:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail penny81171 Click to send private message to penny81171 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Iyanla"
I so agree with you. I can't stand to hear her talk sometimes. She talks too much.

schumacher 28 desperate attention whore postings

09-29-05, 03:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail schumacher Click to send private message to schumacher Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Iyanla"
I also completely disagree with you. Iyanla tells it like it is, and some people are put off by that. To which, I say: To damn bad! Some people like to be talked to in a mush-mouth, nambe-pambe, wimpy manner. That's not Iyanla. As others have said, Iyanla doesn't sugar-coat what she says. Also, she has enormous compassion and humanity and she will not let anything slide, as I've seen with the couples.

Iyanla is one of the main reasons I love Starting Over.

The original poster said that he/she is not enjoying Iyanla's advice this season. I find that a rather broad statement to make. You've not gotten anything helpful from her? Hmmmm. Interesting.

TLake 11 desperate attention whore postings

09-29-05, 04:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TLake Click to send private message to TLake Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Iyanla"
I think that she is speaking the truth - and usually has a good reason for acting a certain way. I've gotten a lot out of the comments by Iyanla and Rhonda this year - THANKS LADIES! Your honesty is helping all of us!

Tookie 9 desperate attention whore postings

09-29-05, 05:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tookie Click to send private message to Tookie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Iyanla"
I think that's why she's a successful life coach. She cuts through the BS with heart of the matter insights. It may seem harsh, but it's effective. Of course people don't like it, healing isn't necessarily fun to see the truth about yourself.

Shoe Diva 7 desperate attention whore postings

09-29-05, 07:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Shoe%20Diva Click to send private message to Shoe%20Diva Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Iyanla"
Agree. I feel Iyanla is very insightful and sincere in her coaching techniques. No amount of scripting or editing can portray that. I'm an SO viewer from the Chicago beginnings w/Rana & Rhonda. I could appreciate their different coaching styles but I feel Iyanla has been a welcome addition to SO and much more effective as a life coach.

Butterfli000 16 desperate attention whore postings

09-29-05, 05:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Butterfli000 Click to send private message to Butterfli000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Iyanla"
I'd have to disagree with you. I think she needs to be that way, otherwise some people just won't get it. It's tough love. She sees right through their manipulation. She has to be straight out that way to help them make a break threw. It's exactly what they need. Someone who isn't going to sugar coat things. And, get straight to the problem.

Opuriah 8 desperate attention whore postings

09-30-05, 01:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Opuriah Click to send private message to Opuriah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Iyanla"
....Are you kiddin' me? I think Iyanla Rocks!!
honestly, without her, I would not watch the show.
The other LC's are good, but different styles for
different folks. Variety, remember IS the spice of life!

thanks for welcoming me to the board

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •