The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Snack Questions"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-03-03, 09:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Snack Questions"
First off think back to when you were in grade school. I know for some of us this was a long time ago, but try. Did you have snack everyday during school?

Those of you that are parents or teachers, are you now required or requesting that your child brings a morning and/or afternoon snack to school?

I'm having trouble understanding why my second grader needs to graze all day instead of learning. I graze all day long at my desk I know it's not good and would rather not have her learn it so early in life.

*Breezy ... keeping OT satisfied since 2003*

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Snack Questions weltek 09-03-03 1
   RE: Snack Questions Breezy 09-03-03 2
 RE: Snack Questions samiam 09-03-03 3
 RE: Snack Questions Drive My Car 09-03-03 4
   RE: Snack Questions Breezy 09-03-03 5
 RE: Snack Questions Coconut 09-03-03 6
   RE: Snack Questions Breezy 09-03-03 8
       RE: Snack Questions Coconut 09-03-03 9
           RE: Snack Questions Breezy 09-03-03 10
 RE: Snack Questions Penelope Le Pew 09-03-03 7
 RE: Snack Questions PhoenixMons 09-03-03 11
 Snack? moonbaby 09-03-03 12
   Did you Devious Weasel 09-03-03 14
       And was it.. DataShark 09-03-03 17
           Without shoes moonbaby 09-03-03 18
               In a blizzard? DataShark 09-03-03 19
 RE: Snack Questions pythonfan 09-03-03 13
 RE: Snack Questions Devious Weasel 09-03-03 15
 RE: Snack Questions Swami 09-03-03 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

09-03-03, 09:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Snack Questions"
Yes, I had a "snack" everday after school. First, I must say I was hungry because we ate lunch at 11:15 & I got home at 4:30. I was hungry by then and rightfully so.

The bad part is that my snack wasn't monitored by my parents and they kept junk food around. I would grab the bag of doritos or Oreos and sit in front of the tv eating endless amounts. Talk about bad habits. I was a chubby kid. Not HUGE, but chubby. Now, I am still carrying around some of those bad habits and extra pounds. Old habits die hard.

AS for school time snacks, are most kids really malnourished or something? Last I read, we have a lot of obese kids. I think kids are hungry and complaining because they are used to grazing all day at home during the summer.

09-03-03, 09:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Snack Questions"
I thought there was a problem with overweight kids too. So why send a morning and afternoon snack with them everyday? And why frown on parents that don't? Granted Breezygirl isn't overweight and she's active enough during recess and what not to burn it off, but what about the kids that aren't?

I know they suggest sending healthy snack, but let's face it. It's easier to send fruit rollups or gushers or some other pre-packaged not so healthy snack, then to send celery sticks or carrots.

samiam 5976 desperate attention whore postings

09-03-03, 09:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samiam Click to send private message to samiam Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Snack Questions"
My kindergartener (*snif*) is supposed to bring in one "healthy" snack for himself every day. I just give him some dry cereal, or a fruit and cereal bar, or a few peanut butter crackers. Yesterday he saved his dessert (two oreos) until he got home so he could have an after-school snack.

We didn't have snacks in kindie, but it was only 1/2 day (his is whole-day). I don't think I had snacks in other grades, but I don't really remember. I do remember my I'd-die-without-it peanut butter (creamy) and jelly (grape) sandwiches every day.

Buggy's favorite

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

09-03-03, 09:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Snack Questions"

In a month or so they will forget all about snack time. Seems at the beginning of the year they make a big deal about making sure the kids have snacks.
One year they had this thing where they wanted Moms to send enough snacks for the whole class, since the room mother didn't organize who sent what when, no one was doing it, then all of a sudden some Mom would put on a big production and bring cupcakes and drinks for a day. Huh? that's not snacks that's a party. Or some would send bags or candy, ugh. So I started asking Kate and she would tell me when they hadn't had snacks in awhile, so I would send 2 bags of baby carrot sticks, and a couple bags of those pink and white frosted animal cookies, or oatmeal cookies. The teacher could pass them out when they had time for snack, and they would last awhile. I felt better about that because then everyone had a snack.

I think once they get past Kindergarten they are ok til Lunch, most kids get a snack after School anyway.

09-03-03, 09:21 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Snack Questions"
We'll see if they drop it, but they didn't last year. A couple times during the year we got letters sent home, saying some kids weren't bringing in snacks and to be sure and remember to send them everyday.

Coconut 10856 desperate attention whore postings

09-03-03, 09:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Coconut Click to send private message to Coconut Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Snack Questions"
I went to kindergarten every other day for a full day because our community was too remote to bus just the kindergartners around. It seems to me that everyone brought a lunch and had a snack out of it at morning recess.

Is it just me, or is it parents that should be responsible for this, not the school? I mean, each parent knows their own child and what he/she needs; if your kid gets hungry, he/she needs a snack, right?

And isn't it better to have several small meals during the day than to stuff yourself three times? That way you're not starving at any point.

Coconut: Eating several not-so-small meals a day

09-03-03, 10:02 AM (EST)
8. "RE: Snack Questions"
Breezygirl had allday alternate day kindergarten too (and it was awful IMHO, she never learned the days of the week. it was either and A day or a B day.) Sending a snack for kindergarteners is all right especially if it is all day, but grade school kids shouldn't need two snacks a day plus their after school snack.

Here the parents are responsible for it. I guess part of my problem is Breezygirl is an extremely picky eater so it's hard to send healthy snacks with her.

Coconut 10856 desperate attention whore postings

09-03-03, 10:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Coconut Click to send private message to Coconut Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Snack Questions"
I agree that two snacks plus lunch and an after-school snack seems like a lot.

As for the picky eater thing, have you tried peanut butter and Cheez-Whiz sandwiches?? *duck*

Apparently, I complained too much about the lunches my mum made, so I had to make my own from grade 1 on.

09-03-03, 10:13 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Snack Questions"
Breezygirl does make her own cold lunch when she doesn't want hot lunch (which is often since she's soooo picky.)

PB and Cheeze-wiz? sounds horrible you are preggers. But maybe I'll try sending cheese and crackers for snack for her, she loves cheese.

Penelope Le Pew 2031 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

09-03-03, 09:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Penelope%20Le%20Pew Click to send private message to Penelope%20Le%20Pew Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Snack Questions"
My children brought a note home yesterday from their school. They love their new school, and that is good! whew..

The note for parents says that the students will eat 2 times during day, at 10:35 am and at 1:00 pm. They will not permit the students to dispose of any uneaten food after the first break. This will ensure that they have something to eat in the second break. It may be helpful to have children participate in packing their lunch bags. Involving the children in selecting the food, discussing what to eat at each break and packing the food in small bags will help to ensure the children eat well during the day.

That is interesting! It is new to me. I think it is a wonderful idea. I have given them more snacks this morning and they ate breakfast!

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

09-03-03, 10:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Snack Questions"
It's my understanding that the "best" meal plan would be to eat 6 times a day in smaller portions (obviously, this should be mostly "good for you" stuff as opposed to 2 "meals" of junk, LOL). Maybe the school is trying to provide the opportunity for kids to portion out their meals so? I don't know, but I do know that I feel better when I eat 6 times a day than when I eat 3 times a day (and I don't eat as much because I don't get as hungry).

As I've always had a very high/fast metabolism, I got really hungry long before lunch and it was very hard to concentrate (being that I already have "focus" issues as it is) on an empty stomach. I think the problem wtih "obesity" isn't the amount of food kids eat but WHAT they eat. They probably eat less "food" overall than they used to, but eat more high fat, high calorie items than before (Lunchables are just one of the "downfalls" of nutrition, as I see it...sorry for any Lunchables fans out there).

As someone else said, it's up to the parents, but if the schools won't allow kids (like me) who would be better off eating more often (smaller amounts), the parents don't have much "power" there, KWIM? Now if they are truly grazing all day (eating during class, throughout the day) that's a different story altogether.

But, no, we didn't usually have snacks in school during school once we hit say 3rd grade (I believe we did though in 1st and 2nd). Now that I think about it, maybe we did? I do seem to recall many carrot stick/celery stick days during school...I just don't know!

I *heart* my ©2003 GeorgiaBelle Creation
"An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it" - Mohandas K. Gandhi

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

09-03-03, 11:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "Snack?"
SNACK? When I was a kid we didn't have snacks-we had lunch at lunchtime and that was it. And we LIKED it!

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

09-03-03, 11:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "Did you"
Walk five miles in pouring rain everyday to school?

Moonie's really Dana Carvey!

DataShark 1395 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-03-03, 12:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DataShark Click to send private message to DataShark Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "And was it.."
Up hill both ways?

--Has seen Moonie. Of course it was in a crowd of several million people. Was that you in the blue blouse?

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

09-03-03, 12:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "Without shoes"
of course

<--usually wears black

DataShark 1395 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-03-03, 12:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DataShark Click to send private message to DataShark Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "In a blizzard?"
4 feet of snow even in May.

Are you sure - cuz the satellite photo I saw had you wearing blue... Wait that might be a lake in Central Park. Nevermind

pythonfan 3348 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-03-03, 11:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail pythonfan Click to send private message to pythonfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Snack Questions"
I recall having snacks in kindgergarten. Never after that unless it was a b-day party or something, but we always had milk in the afternoon.

we're not required to provide snack, but we can donate a snack (at least for the kindie, not sure if my 2nd grader gets one or not, I should probably ask LOL)

That said, when I did my student teaching our kids had a small snack in the morning (that they had to bring, although we did have an "emergency stash") and it really helped, I think with the kids' energy level. Some kids may not have had a good breakfast or may have to eat really early. It's a long time between 6:30 a.m. and 11:15 when they eat. I don't see any harm in it.

You can eat off of my kitchen floor. It's got plenty of food on it.

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

09-03-03, 11:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Snack Questions"
The Weasel stepson started kindergarten two weeks ago. All parents were required to sign up for two weeks during the school year to provide snacks during those two weeks. We also have to pay for snack milk (as opposed to lunch milk).

Swami 5885 desperate attention whore postings

09-03-03, 11:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Snack Questions"
No snacks for me as a kid--of course I'm old. We sat in rows, called the teachers "Sir" or "Ma'am" and were just grateful if our lunch milk wasn't frozen.

We brought lunch from home. I ate egg salad sandwiches every day for about 3 years. That was before the whole "eggs are bad for you" thing.

Everything is about food these days! When they built the new Science Museum in St. Paul, MN they devoted about 1/3 of the floor space to eating places. I think they have three full cafeterias plus a limited selection snack area. You can't take kids anywhere without being coerced into buying a bunch of corporate crap food. I can't stand it! People don't need the option of eating every minute of every day!

IceCat is a Genius

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •