The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"College!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Jims02 7407 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-29-03, 07:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"College!"
Well, today we started packing up stuff, in preparation for leaving for college on Sunday morning. It's kinda sad, packing up all your things, and leaving some stuff behind.

(I'm a horrible packrat when it comes to possessions!)

I've been told that incoming college freshman become a little more abrasive to their parents, and maybe that's true, I guess. I think it's been rubbing off online...

I need to hear about how much FUN college is going to be. My older sister went away to Virgina last year, and returned 5 days later, in a very unhappy disposition. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine, but it still worries me, y'know?

Anyway, do you have any funny stories about college or words of wisdom or something?

Sorry to all my fellow Ohioans though. I'm going to be a Hoosier now. No more turning back the clocks...

Hoosier Daddy!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: College! J Slice 08-29-03 1
 RE: College! pythonfan 08-29-03 2
   RE: College! I_AM_HE 08-29-03 5
 RE: College! probably clueless 08-29-03 3
   RE: College! pythonfan 08-29-03 4
 RE: College! Spidey 08-29-03 6
   RE: College! Jims02 08-29-03 7
       RE: College! Spidey 08-29-03 8
 If I could travel back in time... DataShark 08-30-03 9
 RE: College! Survivorerist 08-30-03 10
   RE: College! Jims02 08-30-03 13
       Cool moonbaby 08-30-03 15
 RE: College! Drive My Car 08-30-03 11
 RE: College! cyclehausen 08-30-03 12
 RE: College! Breezy 08-30-03 14
 RE: College! strid333 08-30-03 16
   RE: College! strid333 08-30-03 17
 Is it so wrong Drive My Car 08-31-03 18
   RE: College buckeyegirl 08-31-03 19
       RE: College cyclehausen 08-31-03 20
 RE: College! Jims02 09-01-03 21
 RE: College! samiam 09-01-03 22
 Go to all the "welcome" events weltek 09-02-03 23
 Point form advice Coconut 09-02-03 24

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

J Slice 13166 desperate attention whore postings

08-29-03, 07:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20Slice Click to send private message to J%20Slice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: College!"
Jims! College for you! Hooray!

I'm back to school on sunday... psyched as anything. I adore good ol Johnny Hop, and I'd never trade my experiences there for anything in the world. Jims, college is the most fun I've ever had, and I'm sure you'll discover the same.

Don't eat too much cafeteria stuff, though. Eww...

Thank you Ms. Slice, but I have to tell you that you are dangerous. - Technoir

pythonfan 3348 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-29-03, 08:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pythonfan Click to send private message to pythonfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: College!"
I agree, don't eat too much cafeteria food. ick. I lost 15 lbs. that I didn't have to lose my freshman year of college because of that stuff (and I didn't have any money to buy anything else)

Hmmm...I don't know. I went to a party once - didn't want to drink (was me, my roommate, and pretty much a bunch of guys we had just met) I told them I was allergic to wheat so I wasn't razzed about not drinking and at the same time, kept my wits about me. Wish I could say my roomate did the same LOL

Other than that, I don't have many good college stories to tell. I didn't follow the advice I'm about to give you LOL

Words of wisdom - get to know people (from one of the most shy people on the planet *grin*) - don't be afraid to make new friends. They're all as new to this as you are.

and be nice to your parents, I'm assuming they pay your tuition

Good luck!

You can eat off of my kitchen floor. It's got plenty of food on it.

I_AM_HE 6123 desperate attention whore postings

08-29-03, 09:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I_AM_HE Click to send private message to I_AM_HE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: College!"
i agree with the meeting peeps part, also from another very shy person. luckily we had weekly bible studies in my dorm (prolly 1-2 dozen peeps), so that helped for me. made one of my best friends the first night there, and spent most of my time in his room first semester, playing football video games on HIS roomie's comp, lol, or just hanging out

study hard your first couple of semesters - makes for a solid start, and then if you must (like i did, hehehe) you have some room to backslide some.

as for the cafeteria food, baylor's was actually fairly decent
(of course i rarely used up all my meals, and only ate there freshman year, while i was living in a dorm. guess you'll just have to see what your school has and how you like it)

have fun! (responsibly )

probably clueless 5782 desperate attention whore postings

08-29-03, 08:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail probably%20clueless Click to send private message to probably%20clueless Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: College!"
One word....

ANIMAL HOUSE

pythonfan 3348 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

08-29-03, 09:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pythonfan Click to send private message to pythonfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: College!"
isn't that two words?

You can eat off of my kitchen floor. It's got plenty of food on it.

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings

08-29-03, 10:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spidey Click to send private message to Spidey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: College!"
Words of wisdom: Bring enough beer for the whole floor and you'll be the BMOC in no time!

Just kidding, Jims, you are too young to drink and would never do anything against the rules, I am sure.

Yeah, be friendly. Introduce yourself. Don't hang out in your room too much. Find a club or group that share a common interest.

Have fun, but of course study hard too. And offer to help the not-so-quick with their studies. (Now THEY'RE the ones with the beer!)

WHAT NOT TO DO (all actually done by the same person in my fresh. dorm):

Do NOT set out all of your t-shirts on display in the lounge with cards the read like the following "Yankees t-shirt. Bought at Yankees Stadium, where the Yankees play."

Do NOT tape your toenail clipping to your dorm room door. That is not decorating, that is disgusting.

Do NOT steal a bouy from the pool, put it in your roommate Dave's bed and name him David Bouy.

Do NOT audiotape "A Day in the Life" of yourself that includes taking a dump and masturbating and especially do NOT play it for the entire floor.

Glad to be of service!

08-29-03, 10:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: College!"
David Buoy? LOL!

What college did you go to, Spidey? Party School?

My campus has no frats/sororities, and is a dry campus. So no beer for me.

I hear that they play a lot of Euchre and Ultimate Frisbee though...

I'm going to such a beatnik college...

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings

08-29-03, 11:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Spidey Click to send private message to Spidey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: College!"
Univ. of Delaware. Years ago it used to be on the Top 10 party schools list (then I graduated ) I was a schizo, though. I was a wild child AND a brainiac. I used my scholarship winning brain to figure out how to smuggle beer into the honors dorm and still made Dean's List every semester.

You certainly don't lose anything not having greek life there. No offense to any greeks here, but I never understood the scene, at least at DE. I only actually ever went to one frat party, the first week. A freshman girl was gang raped by some of the guys I had met earlier that night, and needless to say I never went back.

Unfamiliar with Euchre, but ultimate frisbee rules!

DataShark 1395 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

08-30-03, 00:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DataShark Click to send private message to DataShark Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "If I could travel back in time..."
I would tell my younger self:

During your first semester,
Stick to your studies.
Socialization is great just don’t go wild.
Stay away from alcohol, drugs & women.

Jims, you are much brighter and more mature than I when I started College. Use your own judgment and you will do fine.

Good Luck! Have fun! You're in for some of the best times of your life!

Survivorerist 4103 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

08-30-03, 00:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Survivorerist Click to send private message to Survivorerist Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: College!"
Hey Jims, you're not alone. As of Monday, I'm officially going to be a Waterloo Warrior (or as my cousin affectionately refers to us, a Waterloser)

Tell me more about your moving Jim. What kind of dorm are you living in? What kind of stuff are you bringing? Have you talked to your roommate yet? Inquiring minds want to know!

Neleh Dennis-Neilsen-Whatever - Somebody get this girl on Survivor All-Stars!

08-30-03, 01:48 PM (EST)
13. "RE: College!"
I'm living in the NEW residence hall.

It has air conditioning and an elevator. I think it has Ping Pong and Foosball too on the first floor. I think I'm in a suite though. I'm not exactly sure.

I'm bringing so much stuff. I got a little TV/VCR set for $40, so I can do my Survivor summary. I got a big cupboard to put it on, and the Nintendo. My roommate's bringing a DVD player. I'm bringing cards and poker chips too.

I've talked to my roommate a few times. He seems pretty cool. I think I'll get along with him well. There are only 2 people from his school going to it, and the other guy is in the room next door. I asked if that was a good thing, and he said an emphatic NO. I guess I gotta keep them apart.

My earliest class is 9:30 (Intro to Communications).
My latest class is at 4:00 (Symphonic Band)

I'm also taking:
Calculus II
Spanish 304
First Year Colloquium
Intro to Wellness (You have to take gym!?!)

A pretty tough schedule for a freshman, but I think I'll be able to handle it.

In January, I have to do the January Session. For those of you who are unfamiliar, you take 1 class every day for 4 hours from Jan-Feb. So I gotta think of something that I won't get tired of. I might just try a Music Theory class.

Enough rambling for now... Gotta do more packing.

A 2003 IceCat original

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

08-30-03, 07:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "Cool"
Both Jims02 and Sir: You're going to have a great time! Already I can say Jims is doing ok when his first class starts so late. I always seemed to have some hellish science lab at 8:00 am on Fridays. It really cut into my Thursday night recreational activities

January session is intense-good idea to take something you'll like. One Jan term I took Quantitative Chemical Analysis. A hellishly bad idea. All those labs plus classtime plus homework and exams! Choose wisely.

Good luck, guys, and enjoy yourselves!

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

08-30-03, 02:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: College!"
Love and good wishes to you Jims!!!!

I make great collages! Really special and artistic. I can give you ideas!

Oops, umm College, that's different, can't help ya there. ( I am one of the few in this community that never went)

Oh wait! I do have some advice; Remember who you are and be that.

You are going to do great things! I just know you are special, and have Greatness in you.

I do know, cuz I am old and stuff, that time passes too quickly, so make the most of it.

Be Safe!

Buggy

cyclehausen 1197 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

08-30-03, 11:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cyclehausen Click to send private message to cyclehausen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: College!"
People are evil and scary. Avoid them at all costs. You can safely substitute internet mesage board trolling for any human contact you may crave. All of your professors are crazy and want to hurt you, but don't worry - they can't get you through the TV. Finally, always carry a stuffed animal with you. If any "person" dares to talk to you, hand them the stuffed animal and run away.

"I am an unlimited person, sadly living in a limited world."-Harlan Ellison

And have FUN!!!!

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

08-30-03, 04:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: College!"
College was the bestest time for me. I loved it. Most people want to go back to how things were when they were in HS not me college me baby!!!!

All night euchre tournaments, parties, floor competitions.....
meeting some very strange and fun people. I loved college. I feel sorry for those that didn't live in the dorms for atleast one year, you miss out.

Oh, oh oh oh forgot one other thing we did..... smut book readings out loud... LOL that was so funny, the guys would always freak "it does not say that in there" LOL Yep good times.

*Breezy ... keeping OT satisfied since 2003*

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

08-30-03, 09:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: College!"
Well, I just said goodbye (tearful) to my best friend. She is moving to another city while I remain here to finish up my degree. We met in university. She and I both lived in the same dorm and we started in the same program so we had a bunch of classes together and it just grew from there. I am just so fortunate that I have aunts and uncles living in the city that she is going to so I will definitely visit her. And she will visit me because her younger bro is still here at uni.

If you live in the dorm, try to get a group of people together to watch a great TV show. It breaks the ice and is a good judge of character. My best friend and I would always tie up a TV on Sunday nights to watch The Simpsons and The X-Files. And, easily, another 20 people would join us and watch and they became friends.

And Survivor (1) was the best (and unfortunately only) thing of that summer that happened to me. I was taking 5 summer classes (they were required for the degree and only offered in summer) and had very little time for fun. I missed out on that summer. But I did not miss a single episode (except BB's). All of us (everyone who was living in the dorm at the time - very few left over summer) would gather on the boy's floor and watch in the lounge. We had fun with it. We even had a foreign boy from Iran watch with us (he's in my program too and should be the poster boy of being allowed to get Canadian citizenship if he wants it, which he does or at least remain here, because he knows both English and French and he totally adopted our ways and loves our country). He would always joke with us about how can we watch this trash (while he is watching with us) and we would always reply with he would so be the first one voted out of the lounge.

And of course, what is university without drinking? If you are underage, it is pretty easy to find someone to pull for you. If you have a rule (like we did) that you are allowed to drink in your room but not in public (like the lounges), or another rule like no kegs allowed but bottles and cans are, follow it. You certainly do not want them to restrict the rule and allow no drinking at all. Can you imagine how that would go over if you were the one who stopped (I know, slowed) the liquor from flowing?

Three is the perfect number.

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

08-30-03, 10:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: College!"
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how easy it is for someone to pull for you. In first year, we were having a big end of year party in the dorm and a couple of the women who were training to be police (yuppers, cops) were the ones pulling for us and telling us to keep drinking.

Three is the perfect number.

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

08-31-03, 12:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "Is it so wrong"
for me to have crushes on College guys?

When it's Jims and Svist, I don't think so.

buckeyegirl 5449 desperate attention whore postings

08-31-03, 02:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail buckeyegirl Click to send private message to buckeyegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: College"
Jims, You'll have a great time! Just reminder~nobody really knows anyone else, so you're all in the same boat. When I started college I was 2 hours away from home, and while it was hard, I met some great people by staying on campus. Some of my best friends to this day were people who I met week 1 of my freshman year. I was also shy,and found it hard to meet new people but somehow college changed of all that! A great way to meet new people is to join clubs~they not only look great on your resume, but introduce you to people and things who you'd never wise get to meet or do.
The great thing about college is that you can be yourself, and do almost anything.
~FYI about the air conditioning. I am living on campus for my grad school internship, and my room supposedly has a/c. Translation: It works when it wants to. Meaning, on the hottest day of the summer, it won't work, but on the coldest day of the summer, it will. But having your a/c go out is just a bonding experience with others on your floor with the same problem.
My dorm has an awesome widescreen tv in the lobby, and I've met so many people watching tv when I couldn't stand being in my room another minute. You could also start a survivor thursday night or something~there are probably other people who are as addicted to reality tv as we are, but it's hard to find them on campus.
~Greek life is different on each campus. My campus was really small, so almost everyone was Greek and we were really unified and friends with each other. It helped to give me condfidence, and leadership skills but beware of hazing and the like. My sisters however, went to a state school, and Greek life there was so completely different, that I couldn't believe it.

GOOD LUCK!

A Kyngsladye Original
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."-Ralph Waldo Emerson.

cyclehausen 1197 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

08-31-03, 02:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cyclehausen Click to send private message to cyclehausen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: College"
I went to a state school. Greek life was not looked kindly upon. For every person in a greek shirt, there were ten people wearing a "FRATS RAPE" or "RUSH A FRAT - BUY A FRIEND" shirt.

"I am an unlimited person, sadly living in a limited world."-Harlan Ellison

Themed parties are for the relatively sober.

09-01-03, 03:34 PM (EST)
21. "RE: College!"
Well, I'm here, at Manchester College finally.

I *really* lucked out with my dorm room. It's a suite. We have two sides of the residence hall, the King of the Hill themed side, and the Family Guy side. I'm on the Family Guy side.

Anyway, the suite is basically 2 dorm rooms with a small little hallway that reaches the bathroom. That's right. One bathroom for 4 guys. And the rooms are big too. We stacked our beds on top of each other, diagonally. Kinda like a loft.

My roommate's pretty cool (Mike). He plays the guitar. I haven't seen him that much, because he's not in my Orientation group. The other guys in the suite are cool also. James is from the same high school as Mike coincidentally. Robbie is a sophomore, and he's also from this town. So, he knows all the cool places to go already.

I hooked up my TV/VCR. Mike brought a DVD player. He also brought a Microwave and Fridge.

Freshman Orientation is really boring. I took a long survey today, which consisted of

"Have you taken this drug ______________ within the last _____ days?"

Over and over and over...

I just now bought my books. They cost $334 total. My Calc II book costed $130 alone!!!

Oh yeah, laundry is expensive too. $1.00 to wash one load, $.75 to dry.

Any questions?

A 2003 IceCat original

samiam 5976 desperate attention whore postings

09-01-03, 04:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samiam Click to send private message to samiam Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: College!"
My older sister went away to Virgina last year, and returned 5 days later, in a very unhappy disposition.

Well, you really can't blame her. It IS Virginia, after all.

My first couple of years of college were some of the best years and worst years of my life. I met some people who are my best friends in the world and I learned a lot of life lessons, many of them the hard way.

I left college halfway through (well, I say "I left" but it's far more true to say "they asked me politely to not return") and I spent a year and a half working full-time at a minimum-wage job. Funny how doing that gives you the motivation to get your bleep together, and go back to school and finish your degree. The last two years were far, far better.

Don't worry about your major. You'll change it, and even then it's highly unlikely you'll be doing anything even vaguely related to it once you graduate.

Join something -- at least one club that's interesting to you -- it's a great way to meet people, as you automatically have something to talk about with them.

Don't skip class unless absolutely necessary. Don't wake up in the morning and groan, "I have to go to class today!" Going to college is something that a large portion of the world never has the opportunity to do. You don't HAVE to go to class -- you GET to go to class. This is not easy to remember when it's 4 a.m. and you're just getting to bed and you have a class at 8 a.m.

Have fun. Do what you like to do and don't let anyone convince you to do something that you don't particularly like to do or want to do. People told you in high school that college is "the real world." It's not. It's the most carefree, as far as "real world" concerns go, that you will get in your adult life. Live it to the fullest.

Do NOT, under any circumstances, get stupid drunk and pass out, half-naked, in the middle of the dorm hallway during Parents' Weekend. That sort of thing is apparently frowned upon for some reason that I would know nothing about.

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

09-02-03, 09:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "Go to all the "welcome" events"
Better late than never...
Here's my advice: Attend all the freshman activities. They may sound hokey and you may think "I'm too cool for that. Hanging out on SB OT sounds way more fun."...but go out anyway. These places is where you'll meet your friends. I thought I'd make more friends thru my first year classes. Wrong. It wasn't until I was settled in my major that I made friends thru my classes. So my first few years were ok because I had older friends on campus, but once they were gone I had nobody left.

So enjoy! The hypnotists, comedians, etc are all fun events. Grab your roommate, R.A., friends next door or the hot chick in the hall and have fun!

Coconut 10856 desperate attention whore postings

09-02-03, 10:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Coconut Click to send private message to Coconut Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "Point form advice"
1. Don't freak out because your marks are ten to twenty percent lower than they were in high school. This is normal.

2. Make sure your profs know your name.

3. Cafeteria food is icky.

4. If you are doing something stupid, and someone asks you how drunk you are, don't be brutally honest and say "I didn't have anything to drink. Why do you ask?"

Sample salad in UVic cafeteria : dill pickles, cold cuts and onions in a vinaigrette dressing. Ew.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •