The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Blind Freddy 444 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

11-28-11, 04:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Blind%20Freddy Click to send private message to Blind%20Freddy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
LAST EDITED ON 11-28-11 AT 05:08 PM (EST)

Episode 11 title 'Cult Like'...as per Dabo via VG

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' Blind Freddy 11-28-11 1
   RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' Outfrontgirl 11-28-11 2
   RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' dabo 11-28-11 3
       RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' Outfrontgirl 11-28-11 4
   RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' Flowerpower 11-28-11 6
 RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' Estee 11-28-11 5
   RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' CTgirl 11-28-11 7
 RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' Outfrontgirl 11-28-11 8
   RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' michel 11-28-11 10
       RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' PepeLePew13 11-28-11 11
           RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' Outfrontgirl 11-28-11 12
           RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' michel 11-28-11 13
               RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' PepeLePew13 11-29-11 17
                   RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' michel 11-29-11 18
                       RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' PepeLePew13 11-29-11 22
                           RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' michel 11-29-11 23
                           RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' Outfrontgirl 11-30-11 24
                               RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' michel 11-30-11 25
       RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' Outfrontgirl 11-28-11 14
 RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' Outfrontgirl 11-28-11 9
   RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' SquidProQuo 11-29-11 15
   RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' dabo 11-29-11 16
   RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' Blind Freddy 11-29-11 19
       RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' Flowerpower 11-29-11 20
 RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' Outfrontgirl 11-29-11 21
   RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' Flowerpower 11-30-11 26
   RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' dabo 11-30-11 27
       RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' Outfrontgirl 11-30-11 28
           RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' Flowerpower 11-30-11 32
       RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' michel 11-30-11 29
           RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like' dabo 11-30-11 31
 MESS GUT predictions Outfrontgirl 11-30-11 30

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

11-28-11, 04:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Blind%20Freddy Click to send private message to Blind%20Freddy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
CBS PR....

--------------------

A CASTAWAY TELLS A BOLD LIE IN HOPES OF GAINING FAVOR WITH HIS TRIBEMATES, on “survivor: south pacific," WEDNESDAY, NOV. 30

CHEAT TWEET: Will Cochran be able to pull off a big move & stay in the game now that only Upolu members remain? #Survivor 8pmET/PT h ttp://bit.ly/vbyMop

"Cult Like" – At the immunity challenge, one tribemate makes a big gesture to a fellow castaway. Meanwhile, an alliance member becomes a liability around camp, on SURVIVOR: SOUTH PACIFIC, Wednesday, Nov. 30 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.
-----------------------

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-28-11, 05:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
Thank you, Blind Freddy!

I'm thinking the liability is Brandon, who stops catching fish, probably has a mood swing, and generates some talk about getting him out early on per the preview.

Don't know about the big gesture.
One possibility is the winner choosing to share reward with someone who is down the rung in the pecking order or who really needs food. From the lei seen in the vidcaps, it looks like this is an IC/RC combo.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

11-28-11, 05:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
Many thanks!

A bold lie? What other kind are there in Probst-sprechen.

Cochran knows he has to scramble now, whatever divisions there are in Upolu he has to find the right one and make the best use of it.

Would holier-than-unkaruss Brandon lie? Blame the womenfolk for scaring all the fishies away with their jezebel ways? You betcha.

11-28-11, 05:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
I agree that it's Probst speak, but "bold" probably means it is going out on a limb or risky to do if it backfires, something like that.

Cochran is most likely.

How to curry favor with tribemates though? All mates or a select few?

I thought that maybe he could pretend he has influence with Savai'i jurors, which he would use on someone's behalf if they keep him and boot ... Rick? Not sure why anyone would believe that though.

Then there is the old chestnut lie of "I found an immunity idol!"

Flowerpower 7262 desperate attention whore postings

11-28-11, 07:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
LAST EDITED ON 11-28-11 AT 07:12 PM (EST)

Ok, I'll give this a try...

A CASTAWAY TELLS A BOLD LIE IN HOPES OF GAINING FAVOR WITH HIS TRIBEMATES

Well, I'd guess that this is Cochran, as he has hopes of gaining favor....

At the immunity challenge, one tribemate makes a big gesture to a fellow castaway.

Then, there is this...an alliance member becomes a liability around camp,

I think the above 2 clues are related to Albert and Rick. They are starting to grate on each other. We here Albert talking about targeting Rick in the promos, and then there is Rick calling Albert, "Prince Albert"....I'd bet that the one that makes a big gesture to a fellow castaway could be Albert gesturing to Rick, and then Rick is the one that notes Albert is becoming the liability around camp....doesn't help, and eats alot, perhaps...

ETA: Definitely Brandon is most likely becoming a liability around camp as well, as others note!

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

11-28-11, 06:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
Cultlike? Cultlike?!?

CTgirl 8013 desperate attention whore postings

11-28-11, 07:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
I can hear Cochran saying this in a confessional about Coach and talking about his attempts to infiltrate the Upolu "family."

Yup, Coach has a cult like hold over his teammates!

11-28-11, 07:31 PM (EST)
8. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
Estee's response caused me to search for "cult like." I found an interesting advice column on how to successfully build a cult like following. Let's see how Coach is doing and whether Boston Rob did it better, shall we?

http://www.mindpowernews.com/BuildACult.htm

"1. Initiation vs. Instruction

There is a marked difference between learning by instruction and learning by initiation.

Learning by initiation is about creating an experience that makes the learning personal and visceral to the student. ..
There are many things that you could simply tell someone and they would intellectually understand but they wouldn't “get it” as an insight. They would only see it as information. The result is that they may use it or they may not.

Teaching by initiation means holding back on simply telling what the student wants to know and instead provide an experience where the student “gets it” on their own.

2. Being Accessible

Someone once told me that “There are no long lines for the guru at the bottom of the hill.”

Making yourself scarce adds perceived value but it also distances you from the masses. If you want a cult-like following you need access to the masses otherwise you're just an ivory tower wannabe.

Be accessible as a person but present your knowledge and wisdom as being rare, expensive, mysterious, and only for those who are truly ready for it.

This compromise allows you to build deep personal bonds with people yet have them want more or your presence...

You can add to this compromise by having “special times” when you are not accessible to anyone. You can tell people that you are meditating, or doing your “spiritual practice” but you don't have to say anything. It's the mystery of why you are absent that you want to cultivate.

3. Imply Secret Knowledge

The role of simply remaining calm and silent will recur again in this essay so I can't understate it. Here is where silence is worth a 1000 words. Saying things like “Hmmm... There are 100 possible solutions to that within your own mind.” and nothing else implies things that you know and that they should know.

4. Remaining calm as if all-knowing

Any sharp change in your emotional state, with the exception of joy and laughter, should be minimized. Any leader/teacher who goes on an angry rant is demonstrating their own lack of control. If you truly have control it should be demonstrated by an unshakable calm as if everything is happening just as you knew it would.

5. Create a detached involvement as if “you” are in a “higher place”

In doing this people will look to you as if there is something more to you than your mere physical presence.

6. Connect deeply with the individual

Here rapport is vital. When you are with people you need to put aside all of your distractions, obligations and problems to focus completely on the person or people you to whom you are speaking.

7. “Chunk Up” whenever possible

This may be a bit abstract to grasp but it's important to creating an appeal because it forces people to think in bigger terms. When you do consistently if gives the impression that you are always thinking bigger than them.

“Chunking Up” is an NLP term that means referring to something that contains what is spoken about as a subset . It can also refer to something that controls or has a larger reach than the topic at hand.

As an example when a person asks “Do you enjoy adult beverages?” a chunked up response would be “There are many adult pleasures I enjoy.” Here, “beverages” is a subset of “pleasures”.

Another example : Statement: “I'll go with you if you promise to control yourself.” Response “I have no intention of controlling how much I enjoy myself.” Here “control” is a subset of “Enjoyment”.

8. Always allude to the mysterious

This can be done by doing the opposite of name dropping. Refer to a very skilled person you learned from who doesn't normally take students. Mention an arcane text that describes a mysterious process you went through. Mention it took you ten years of study to read between the lines and find the real meaning to the work.

9. God-Like Confidence

Here is where the work of Blair Warren in “The Worlds Greatest Cult” really comes in handy. He describes what's called “The God Complex” which encompasses many of the concepts discussed here.

The God Complex is a great example of “chunking up” because it's about seeing EVERYTHING that can possibly happen as if it's all part of the plan and being okay with it.

The God Complex is about having such a larger view of the world and your place in it so that what you are doing, this very moment , regardless of what transpires will be as if it was meant to you be.

10. Appeal to peoples needs and wants

A deep understanding about what people truly respond to is vital if you want to influence anyone. Each individual has their own wants and needs that you have keep in the forefront of your mind.
People will also respond to the same basic needs being fulfilled; the need to be needed, the need for hope in a tough time, the need to feel in control, the need blame something else for their troubles, the need to learn about something they don't know or not supposed to know.

Conclusion

The desire for a cult-like following has many benefits and many responsibilities. The hardest of the responsibilities is simply living up to what you are presenting to people. For that reason I always recommend that you live what you teach."

(JK Ellis is the author of Mind Control 101: How to Influence the Thoughts of Others Without Them Knowing or Caring)

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

11-28-11, 09:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
So, what is your conclusion? Coach or Rob?!

One thing to remember is that Rob's cult was godless (no, Burnett doesn't count) Coach is adding faith in God to the mix and that is very powerful. Tim Tebow is a good example of that.

The difference is that Tebow is playing so that all his team mates win. Survivor is a selfish game.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

11-28-11, 10:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
*waits to see if OFG has the foggiest clue as to who Tebow is*

11-28-11, 11:10 PM (EST)
12. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
Pepe, I nevah hear nothin bout no Tebow.

Mus be da kine sum uddah island den Havaii

11-28-11, 11:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
LAST EDITED ON 11-28-11 AT 11:17 PM (EST)

But, Pepe, you know who I'm talking about...

11-29-11, 08:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
Not about what *I* know but in reference to who you were replying to.

11-29-11, 08:26 AM (EST)
18. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
So, she can introduce JK Ellis into the cult discussion and I can't introduce Tebow?!

11-29-11, 09:17 PM (EST)
22. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
Not going to get into an argument with you as you're so fond of doing, but my post was a tongue-in-cheek statement because I knew there was maybe a .001 percent chance of OFG knowing who Tebow is, having 'known' her on this site for 11 years.

11-29-11, 09:44 PM (EST)
23. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
I don't assume what people know or don't know. I assume they can google.

11-30-11, 03:37 AM (EST)
24. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
You spoiled my non-knowledge correctly, Pepe!

Anyway, I didn't bring the Ellis guy into the conversation or any cultist or cult expert. I only mentioned him as a cite since I quoted his work and it would be improper not to credit the author. I thought the easy ten bullet points for cultist success provided a nice organizational tool for looking at Coach's approach, that is all.

I am no student of the genre; like I said, I googled Cult Like and found this.

11-30-11, 08:29 AM (EST)
25. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
and I simply gave an example of how belief in God can make that cult like approach even stronger.

11-28-11, 11:23 PM (EST)
14. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
I think that Rob has natural charisma, charm, leadership, and is very competitive. I think he built his model more on the Mafia than a cult.

I think that Coach incorporates all ten of these steps to an extent. The difference this season is he is getting people to buy into his act more than in any other season.

Obvious ways Coach fits this model -- his Tai Chi practice as the way he removes himself, his ability to come up with esoteric quotes.

He does instruct but he makes an effort to initiate. With Cochran, for example.
Both Coach and Rob succeeded in making other players feel that they had that one on one full attention.

I think Coach is better than Rob at making people feel that he sees their problems. Rob might be better at pitching deals.

I think that both Coach and Rob have studied how to manipulate people, but Coach has in the past taken the position that most are fools who won't get him. I think that this season he realized that the "lunatic fringe" eccentric persona was not going to help him win. He couldn't be "weird." I think he still cultivates that air of mystery, and I do think he projects calm to his followers.

Whether that can continue is TBD.

11-28-11, 08:50 PM (EST)
9. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
birdlady at MESS
http://survivorsucks.yuku.com/topic/88674/master/1/?page=2
suggested that Coach might make a grand gesture of sitting out to give others a better shot. I had considered him sitting out, because we see three people throwing sandbags and three slinging coconuts, but no Coach.

This was my reply at MESS:
I had considered that Coach might bow out, and with birdlady articulating it, I find the idea quite likely. Coach is not seen playing and everyone else is. It is always dangerous to broadcast that you don't feel you are in danger though. It would have to be very well phrased to come off as benevolent rather than arrogant.

SquidProQuo 2526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

11-29-11, 03:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SquidProQuo Click to send private message to SquidProQuo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
Interesting idea. ...especially since we don't see Coach in any of the IC photos....and we know he stunk at the sling shot challenge and probably wouldn't have a chance anyway.

Although given that Coach didn't want to sit out at the last optional challenge (where his tribe voted to all sit out and eat) and the fact that he seems to be less tone deaf this time around -- plus the wording that it's a bold gesture to a fellow castaway (singular) -- it seems more likely that Coach (or someone else) gives up his place at the reward to another person to curry votes. I could see Coach letting Cochran go in his place since he figures he should get one reward before getting voted off....and that would explain the lei sharing shots, as mentioned above.

11-29-11, 03:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
Coach sits out? Yeah, what a BS artist. Earlier in the game he was like Reward, great, but there's nothing like winning Immunity, it is the best!

Chink in the armor? Let the minions worry about it?

I genuinely think Coach is in the best position now to win this game, but he could easiiy blow it by over-playing his hand.

11-29-11, 03:21 PM (EST)
19. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
It looks like the Coach does indeed throw the sandbags...as shown in the E11 Press Pics

11-29-11, 04:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
Easy to join the party after the fact. For Coach to sit out would be hypocritical of him, don't you think. He's always embraced the warrior, and the warrior would never sit out the chance for competition, would he? No, I don't think so. Besides, Coach would love to get immunity, it would feed his ego.

Coach may have a cult going on with Cochran, but the way I see it is it has much less to do with Coach, and a lot more to do with Cochran and his need for supreme "daw"-dom. Cochran is feeding into Coach and all that that entails as a desperate attempt at stardom and perhaps as a way to outlast a layer or so of Upolu onions....fwiw.

11-29-11, 06:30 PM (EST)
21. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
LAST EDITED ON 11-29-11 AT 07:24 PM (EST)

So now we know that all seven compete. We know that three move on. We know the three are Albert, Rick, Sophie.

Because the Press Pics specify IC/RC, we know that the winner wins reward.

We are left to solve:
At the immunity challenge, one tribemate makes a big gesture to a fellow castaway.

What is left?
Giving up reward is the most obvious answer. That would be a huge sacrifice.

However, it doesn't say "sacrifice"; it says "gesture."
A gesture can be an act of kindness towards someone who doesn't expect it.

The contenders for winner are all Stargazer Allies. It would not be a special gesture to pick another SA. That leaves Cochran or Edna.

I see two possibilities there IF this were the gesture.
1) Rick wins and takes Edna. They are close. This would upset Albert at Rick. Rick would likely take Coach and Edna.

2) Albert wins and chooses Cochran. This would set the stage for Albert and Cochran scheming together to take out Rick. Albert might take Sophie and Cochran. Rick would feel left out, as he was a top contender.

If Sophie wins, I do not see her taking a non-ally, not even to cultivate a juror, because she doesn't think much of either Cochran or Edna. I think she would take Albert, because she needs to keep an eye on him. For a third she would likely take Coach, to reassure him.

I think that three will enjoy the reward.
ETA:

ETA -- I realize that picking anyone to go on reward is not necessarily a BIG gesture, unless the recipient is feeling ostracized. Picking Cochran could be a big gesture, since he always feels that way. Edna wouldn't.

It would certainly be bigger if someone gives up reward for someone else. For example, someone is picked, and he says, I really want to go, but so and so needs it more.

We rarely see any selflessness at these reward choices unless Jeff proposes it first. So how would Jeff suggest it? Per the clue, this is a gesture from one person to another. It is not like one person giving up for the tribal good.

In Nicaragua, with the volcano reward, Jeff gave the guys a chance to let one or more of the girls go. Was that a one person gives it up for another offer?

11-30-11, 03:34 PM (EST)
26. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
Good thinking there, OFG. I also wanted to remind you of the promos when we hear Sophie saying, Cochran, he made an awful move.

Could this assessment from Sophie have something to do with what is "gestured" at the RC/IC?

11-30-11, 04:21 PM (EST)
27. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
And the losing team got to go back and find out camp had burned down.

It was the previous RC, the episode before, where they got divided randomly into a men's team and a women's team, with Chase randomly sitting out because of uneven numbers; but he bet on the women to take him on reward and they lost.

11-30-11, 04:40 PM (EST)
28. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
Yes, I meant the previous RC and have forgotten what the reward was.

FP, I was assuming that Sophie referred to Roach's decision to flip on his tribe, and how he made a horrible move that benefitted Upolu but Upolu is not going to extend his life in the game now that only Upolu are left. She does say it like the move is past tense.

11-30-11, 07:46 PM (EST)
32. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"

Yes, we assume that she is referring to the move that threw the Savaii tribe under the proverbial bus, but, I was just entertaining a thought that perhaps Cochran makes another "move"...

Just didn't want to assume that it was "the move"....fwiw...

11-30-11, 05:53 PM (EST)
29. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
>>It was the previous RC, the
>episode before, where they got
>divided randomly into a men's
>team and a women's team,

Randomly!!! You crack me up somtimes.

11-30-11, 07:00 PM (EST)
31. "RE: E11 Title - 'Cult Like'"
Well, good, we aim to amuse. Survivor does seem to have an amazing knack for probability inversion.

11-30-11, 06:13 PM (EST)
30. "MESS GUT predictions"
courtesy of my friend crocophile -- La Cucaracha. Chop by blistering and Trixiego. Enjoy!

La cucaracha, la cucaracha,
ya no puede ganar
porque no tiene, porque le falta
los bolas de vivir.

Ya murió la cucaracha
ya le llevan a redencion
entre cuatro Savaii
y un Ozzy de protagonista

Link:
http://survivorsucks.yuku.com/topic/89059/S23-Ep-11-GUT-La-Cucaracha

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •