The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and Clue..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Current Message

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-15-11, 10:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: WHAT IF???"
FloPo -- I do agree that the clues this week could be flipped around, and we had one episode last season where they really hoodwinked us when the teasers were for the opposite tribes than what many (including me) thought.

I am inclined not to for these reasons:

CLUE #1: "Free Agent" – Feeling betrayed by their tribe, one castaway reveals a potentially game-changing secret.

1) The title of the episode typically is connected and used as a lead-in to the first teaser. We know that Ozzy is the free agent, the promo says so, and the logic of writing would lead to the first teaser being about Ozzy's situation.

2) betrayed: The last two episodes have been about the story line of betrayal at Savai'i, so more than likely this is a carry over from TC and will lead the episode, whether or not it is the boot story. There are typically two misdirection plots to an episode. The first is pre-challenge when we see what each tribe is thinking in terms of strategy, and the misdirection is to make us think a tribe is going to TC when it isn't. The second misdirection is of course the pre-TC scramble.

Clue #1 is likely first half misdirection and set up for Episode 7.

3) The secret is obviously the HII: either Ozzy or Coach could reveal it, true. So let's look at their respective situations:

Coach has chosen to work the onion alliance strategy of a 3 within the 5, a 5 which appears to two to be a 6). Coach has now bonded his inner onion with secret knowledge of the HII. He has used the HII to make his inner circle feel invincible.

This is the opposite of Ozzy who sees it as one man's tool and shares the knowledge with one, without telling Keith that "we" have the idol. So Keith went running scared, because it is Ozzy's HII. Very different from Sophie's confessional showing she feels good about the idol.

Ozzy's lone wolf strategy is probably, fear me, I have the HII, same as what Yul used to win Cook Islands -- except Yul was post merge and not down by much in numbers, whereas Ozzy is at risk of the whole bunch turning on him and splitting the vote to make his HII ineffective. Ozzy needs a voting bloc to side with him or he is done.

Ozzy has already told someone about the idol who has crossed him on the vote, so he must know that his secret is not secure. So he may as well know for sure that everyone knows, as they might anyway by the time TC rolls around.

There is no purpose in Coach revealing the HII to everyone, as then he loses the hold on Sophie and Albert, and Sophie and Albert don't seem inclined to give away secrets. We saw that Albert likes info close to the vest at the duel, and he only included Coach and Sophie after he failed at finding the idol.

Conclusion: Ozzy will feel like the holder of his secret has betrayed him and he is playing emotionally (FEELS betrayed), so he is the one who reveals the secret.

CLUE #2:
appalled by the lack of loyalty within his tribe, another castaway threatens to leave the game.

1) Wording:
The word "loyalty" is Coach's word. So is "appalled." While I couldn't find you a clip of Coach saying "appalled" -- I am sure I have heard him use the word. Coach is dramatic that way. Ozzy the surfer would be "bummed." Coach the conductor is likely "appalled." The teaser writer likely pulled the verbiage out of a quote.

In Stacey's interviews, she ranted about Coach and his preaching about "loyalty" to them.

2) In which alliance is loyalty even a concept?

While Ozzy may feel betrayed as to trust, his alliance was not based on a belief in loyalty. It was more based on believing that the strong and adaptive on his tribe had bonded and agreed that challenge strength combined with "kool kid" status would determine who made merge.

There was no idealism involved about his alliance, and we saw that he did not trust his tribe enough to reveal the idol to more than one, and barely that. We never saw him agree to the 3+2, that was Keith and Jim. We saw him trust Keith and also Elyse, his two pairs.

Yes, Ozzy was betrayed (first clue), but he expected to be a target -- only he hoped the providing and challenge strength would give him a pass for a while. He never expected a loyal take it all the way alliance, whereas Coach formed what he hopes will be exactly that in Ep 1, and so far it has not faltered.

Coach has a larger alliance, so the phrase "within his tribe" in the second teaser makes more sense for Upolu. Coach has worked to form a bond of five in which all feel equal, and both the outsiders probably feel included. Edna thanks to Coach's reassurance, and Mikayla by being tight with Sophie and Albert (per Stacey).

While Ozzy is indeed sulking and declaring that he will play the game for himself, we get no hint that he is packing in the game. Coach is capable of making a threat to leave if his principle of loyalty is betrayed; he is twice the drama queen Ozzy will ever be.

Coach's disgruntlement has been hidden in the promos; we only see a hint and it's in a calm confessional. The boot story is being hidden. The challenge caps are misdirected to show Savai'i in horrible trouble at what could appear to be the finish to a casual viewer.

Note that after Coach talks about the heat of battle, clip is shown of Brandon and Rick with the empty wheelbarrow as if they are screwing up. However, we know they get the Upolu coconuts in first. We are not shown much of what happens later when the challenge switches to Coach, Albert, Mikayla, but we see Albert in fast action, whereas we see Mikayla apparently interacting with a coaching Coach.

Upolu is leading as they go into second half of challenge, and only three people could lose it -- Coach, Albert, Mikayla.
I doubt it is Albert, and Coach would never blame Coach ...

My guess is that he wants Mikayla out because she doesn't listen to him (or he feels that way, which is the same thing in Coach's world). Because of his Coach identity, this flips him out. What good is her athleticism if she doesn't run his plays?

Conclusion of my spec so far:
Ozzy decides he cannot trust anyone and declares himself a loner, but doesn't threaten to quit.

Coach gets hung up on the "conceptual" level of "loyalty" and principles and blah blah blah and pushes to get Mikayla out -- that is he finds a rationale to keep Edna in his pocket even though she is not a challenge asset in any way and no one else likes her because she yaps all the time, kisses butt, and has a laugh that rivals Rachel of BB on the scale of annoying.

The teaser saying as it does that the loyalty-challenged player "threatens" to quit may tell us that Coach is not getting his way. The boot is likely trending towards Edna when they arrive at TC, but somehow Coach gets placated and gets his way?

Mikayla gets a marginal thumbs up from Stacey ("she hates everyone who outlasted her") Powell. Edna gets scathing criticism. While I doubt they would be best buds in any universe, Stacey seems like one to focus her anger on those who stepped on her to get to the merge. (She does like Rick though.)

Stacey's major hate objects are Coach, Albert, Sophie, Edna, so they probably all make the merge. I think if Edna were next to go she would not be so vehement about what a waste of space she is and how dumb it was to save Edna and boot Stacey the strong. Pre-merge is pre-merge, one spot before or after does not mean much.

I think there is only going to be one more boot, in Ep 7, and it will be from Savai'i and resolve that story line -- and the returnee will most likely be from Savai'i and is that final boot before the merge. That would account for everyone on Savai'i having a pretty decent development.

Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

Table of Contents
  Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and Clue...   SquidProQuo     10-13-11       
   RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   Brownroach     10-13-11     1  
     On second thought...   Brownroach     10-13-11     2  
   RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   kingfish     10-13-11     3  
     RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   dabo     10-13-11     4  
         Flurry of activity   OllieKat     10-13-11     5  
     RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   Brownroach     10-13-11     7  
         RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   SquidProQuo     10-13-11     10  
   RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   kiki_k     10-13-11     6  
   RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   Flowerpower     10-13-11     8  
   RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   michel     10-13-11     9  
     RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   Brownroach     10-14-11     12  
         RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   michel     10-14-11     15  
             RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   Brownroach     10-14-11     16  
                 RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   michel     10-14-11     17  
                     RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   Brownroach     10-16-11     31  
                         RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   Outfrontgirl     10-16-11     32  
   RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   SquidProQuo     10-13-11     11  
   RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   Outfrontgirl     10-14-11     13  
   RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   tribephyl     10-14-11     14  
     RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   Krautboy     10-14-11     18  
         RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   tribephyl     10-14-11     19  
             RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   kiki_k     10-15-11     20  
                 RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   michel     10-15-11     21  
                     RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   kiki_k     10-15-11     22  
                         RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   michel     10-15-11     24  
                             RE: Ep. 6 Title - "Free Agent" and ...   kiki_k     10-15-11     26  
   WHAT IF???   Flowerpower     10-15-11     23  
     RE: WHAT IF???   Krautboy     10-15-11     25  
     RE: WHAT IF???   Outfrontgirl     10-15-11     27  
         a couple more thoughts   Outfrontgirl     10-15-11     28  
             RE: a couple more thoughts   Flowerpower     10-16-11     29  
                 RE: a couple more thoughts   Outfrontgirl     10-16-11     30  

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •