The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

SquidProQuo 2526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

04-21-11, 03:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SquidProQuo Click to send private message to SquidProQuo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
From CBS:

ONE CASTAWAY REACHES THEIR BREAKING POINT IN THE GAME AND STRUGGLES TO FIND THE STRENGTH TO CONTINUE,
ON "SURVIVOR: REDEMPTION ISLAND," WEDNESDAY, APRIL 27

"A Mystery Package" — One castaway is on the verge of a breakdown, while other castaways speculate about the contents of a mystery package and how it affects their strategy, on SURVIVOR: REDEMPTION ISLAND, Wednesday, April 27 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... SquidProQuo 04-21-11 1
   RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... michel 04-22-11 28
 RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Brownroach 04-21-11 2
   RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... tribephyl 04-21-11 5
       RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... SquidProQuo 04-21-11 7
   RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Corvis 04-21-11 6
       RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Brownroach 04-21-11 8
   RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Woogie 04-22-11 20
       RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... dabo 04-22-11 21
           RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Woogie 04-22-11 23
               RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... dabo 04-22-11 24
                   RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... suzzee 04-25-11 46
 RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... tribephyl 04-21-11 3
   RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... dabo 04-21-11 4
   RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... SquidProQuo 04-21-11 9
   RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Georjanna 04-21-11 17
 RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Brownroach 04-21-11 10
   RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... SquidProQuo 04-21-11 12
       RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Outfrontgirl 04-21-11 13
           RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Flowerpower 04-21-11 16
 RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Outfrontgirl 04-21-11 11
   RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... SquidProQuo 04-21-11 14
       RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... dabo 04-21-11 15
           RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Outfrontgirl 04-22-11 19
               RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... SquidProQuo 04-22-11 22
                   RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... dabo 04-22-11 25
               RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... michel 04-22-11 29
                   RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Outfrontgirl 04-23-11 31
                   RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... PepeLePew13 04-23-11 34
                       RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... michel 04-23-11 35
 RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... SquidProQuo 04-21-11 18
   RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Krautboy 04-22-11 26
       RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... SquidProQuo 04-22-11 27
           RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Krautboy 04-23-11 30
               RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Outfrontgirl 04-23-11 32
                   RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... tribephyl 04-23-11 33
                       RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Round Robin 04-24-11 36
                       RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Outfrontgirl 04-24-11 37
                           RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Blind Freddy 04-25-11 47
                               RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Outfrontgirl 04-25-11 48
                           RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... tribephyl 04-26-11 49
                       RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Brownroach 04-24-11 43
 RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Outfrontgirl 04-24-11 38
   RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Flowerpower 04-24-11 40
   RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Woogie 04-24-11 41
 Clues... Flowerpower 04-24-11 39
   RE: Clues... Outfrontgirl 04-24-11 42
       RE: Clues... Round Robin 04-25-11 44
           RE: Clues... dabo 04-25-11 45
               RE: Clues... and a possible double ... katethegreat 04-26-11 50
                   RE: Clues... and a possible double ... dabo 04-26-11 51
                       RE: Clues... and a possible double ... Flowerpower 04-26-11 52
                   RE: Clues... and a possible double ... parathor 04-26-11 53
 RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... SquidProQuo 04-27-11 54
   RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... tribephyl 04-27-11 55
       RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clu... Brownroach 04-27-11 56

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

04-21-11, 04:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SquidProQuo Click to send private message to SquidProQuo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
LAST EDITED ON 04-21-11 AT 04:05 PM (EST)

Castaway at their breaking point/verge of breakdown = Matt per the preview.

No idea on the mystery package....could it have something to do with the TC twist that Jeff has mentioned? Trying to remember if there was ever a mystery package before....they don't mean letters from home, do they? Seems too early for that.

ETA: Just realized letters/videos from home wouldn't impact strategy.

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-22-11, 08:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"

>ETA: Just realized letters/videos from home
>wouldn't impact strategy.

I just wanted to point that letters/video from home once had an impact on the biggest move ever: Johnny Fairplay said the idea for the dead grandma lie came to him after seeing how much sympathy Jenna Lewis received when she didn't get any letters. Every thing can impact strategy even if I seriously doubt this is what we have here.

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-11, 04:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
LAST EDITED ON 04-21-11 AT 04:32 PM (EST)

So to me this does suggest a replay of the Rebecca - Jenny boot episode . That would explain why they are wondering what impact the package will have on their strategy, if they are told to bring it to TC.

ETA Hopefully someone there would remember what happened that time...

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-11, 04:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
...okay, should have read your response before posting. This sounds more plausible.

From Cooks: A sealed bottle with a note inside was given to Rarotonga after they lost the Immunity Challenge. The bottle was to be opened after the vote at Tribal Council. At Tribal Council, Rebecca was seen as the weakest link and she was voted out 6–1 — then the mysterious bottle was finally opened. Initially assuming that the note inside the bottle will give them instructions about the impending merge — since they're just 10 remaining castaways — usual time for the merge, everything got turned on its head as Parvati reads the message. It read: "Now you have voted off one member of your tribe, it's time to vote another." Though Jonathan's the next intended target, the four white members of Rarotonga voted Jenny out (believing that Jenny, the last remaining Asian left in Rarotonga, might switch sides with her former Puka Puka teammates Yul and Becky come post-merge). Showing complete disappointment over the surprise 4-2 vote, an angry Jenny stormed away as her torch was snuffed.

It definitely alters strategies.
Yet, another double boot so soon? We need one but my only hesitation is that it is 1 episode away from the last double boot.

04-21-11, 04:37 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
Tribe, I like the bottle idea. Maybe it comes with treemail and they're told they can't open it until TC so they're all speculating in advance what it means.

The only thing that doesn't quite fit with this is that it would seem to be obvious that it's a double boot (merge is over - what else could it be) but Jeff said they were all "caught off guard" at the TC twist.

The only other thing I could think of is that someone gets an "advantage" for the next challenge like Danni or Jaison...but that wouldn't impact strategy quite as much.

Corvis 3130 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

04-21-11, 04:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Corvis Click to send private message to Corvis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
LAST EDITED ON 04-21-11 AT 04:30 PM (EST)

ETA: Tribe just beat me to it! Hee.

Just to remind everyone about the Rebecca-Jenny double boot:

"At Rarotonga, Jenny and Parvati were alarmed over Candice and Adam's closeness. The tiny tribe of Aitutaki crushed the over-populated Rarotonga at the Reward Challenge and sent Candice back to Exile Island as continued revenge of her betrayal. Aitutaki took their fourth straight win by winning the Immunity Challenge. A sealed bottle with a note inside was given to Rarotonga after they lost the Immunity Challenge. The bottle was to be opened after the vote at Tribal Council. At Tribal Council, Rebecca was seen as the weakest link and she was voted out 6–1 — then the mysterious bottle was finally opened. Initially assuming that the note inside the bottle will give them instructions about the impending merge — since they're just 10 remaining castaways — usual time for the merge, everything got turned on its head as Parvati reads the message. It read: "Now you have voted off one member of your tribe, it's time to vote another." Though Jonathan's the next intended target, the four white members of Rarotonga voted Jenny out (believing that Jenny, the last remaining Asian left in Rarotonga, might switch sides with her former Puka Puka teammates Yul and Becky come post-merge). Showing complete disappointment over the surprise 4-2 vote, an angry Jenny stormed away as her torch was snuffed."

I think that seems most likely to me.

04-21-11, 04:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
LAST EDITED ON 04-22-11 AT 11:10 AM (EST)

It sounds more like the package arrives in camp, maybe with tree mail, instead of Jeff giving it to them at the challenge this time. That might throw them off.

ETA According to the new preview Probst tosses them the package at the challenge and tells them to bring it to TC, just like in Cook Islands. Someone ought to remember it meant a double boot the last time.

Woogie 135 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-22-11, 11:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Woogie Click to send private message to Woogie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
Well if it's a double boot like what happened to Rebecca and Jenni on Cooks Island, there is going to be, not duel not truel but, quadruel the week after. Which is unlikely.

They might send two people to the jury for next truel and have truel the week after. Which is also unlikely IMO.

I'm not ruling it out but it doesn't seem to fit in at this point yet.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

04-22-11, 11:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
Qua-duel is prabably maximum occupancy for the arena, when you take into account they have to film everybody and everything, then send second unit in later for insurance shots.

04-22-11, 11:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Woogie Click to send private message to Woogie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
I agree that size of the arena ha mazimum occupancy for 4 duelers. But 4 duelers and 1 or 2 of them going to the jury will be really lame to watch.
Hope it doesn't happen that way. Though I think it's very unlikely, it really may happen that way.

04-22-11, 11:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
I agree. The best scenario would be to eliminate 2 in the next tru-el then restock with two boots for another tru-el. Really, though, what are the odds of them happening to do anything the best way?

Probst said there would still be 8 at the start of the finale. There are currently 11 remaining, RI and Murlonio combined, so it has to be single eliminations in the duels for the next three episodes to leave 8 for the start of the finale.

suzzee 5961 desperate attention whore postings

04-25-11, 09:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail suzzee Click to send private message to suzzee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
46. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
Didn't David make a comment to Matt that there would be tr-uels from then on?

Hey! Who moved the island?

04-21-11, 04:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
Regarding "the mystery package", it is described as having an effect on game strategies. It is not stated as possibly game changing or may effect the outcome...The mystery package WILL change the outcome, WILL change strategies.

My overwhelming thought is brought about by something that popped up as a spoiler seasons ago.
I recall seeing upon the production board (Cooks, maybe) something referred to as ... ghost juror?. I believe the outcome of which was to be set up like so...
Players vie against each other for a special power.
The winner receives a special ability, the ability to disqualify a juror's vote.

Does anyone else remember what season it was where we went on a tour with JP through the production office and saw Kirhoffer with the "playboard" (calendar) behind him. There were tons of vidcaps taken of the videos and I am pulling a loss as to where to start looking for them.

04-21-11, 04:25 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
LAST EDITED ON 04-21-11 AT 04:42 PM (EST)

There was a lot of spec during Fans v Faves that Ami was a secret juror.

ETA: There was something about Jeff having a sealed envelope that would somehow determine a winner in the event of a tie vote at Final.

04-21-11, 04:47 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
Players vie against each other for a special power.
The winner receives a special ability, the ability to disqualify a juror's vote.

That's an interesting thought, Tribe. I had posted something similar above re Danni's and Jaison's "special advantage" in a challenge, but this is taking it a step further if it's the ability to disqualify a juror's vote. I don't recall that ever coming up before.

Before we totally dismiss this idea of a "special advantage," we should keep in mind the preview VO says Phillip has his "best day ever." Maybe the web promo will offer more clues.

Georjanna 1316 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

04-21-11, 10:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Georjanna Click to send private message to Georjanna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
LAST EDITED ON 04-21-11 AT 10:40 PM (EST)

My overwhelming thought is brought about by something that popped up as a spoiler seasons ago. I recall seeing upon the production board (Cooks, maybe) something referred to as ... ghost juror?...

Does anyone else remember what season it was where we went on a tour with JP through the production office and saw Kirhoffer with the "playboard" (calendar) behind him. There were tons of vidcaps taken of the videos and I am pulling a loss as to where to start looking for them.

The Season was China.

Here are links to the Blows and TDT discussions of the spoilers derived from the vidcaps of the planning boards revealed during JP's preview.

Note: Following TDT's link to "Probst" from the Survivometer for that Season leads to a discussion of the same topic at SSucks.

I hope that these are helpful. Beyond the fact that the vidcaps revealed China's F9, I remember very little about them. But, as you'll see in the Blows thread, you were certainly right about the mention of a "Ghost Juror".

And, I noticed this evening that one of the Challenges on the long-ago boards was "A Leg Up" (the same title featured on this Season's spoiled Call Sheets).

04-21-11, 05:32 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
LAST EDITED ON 04-21-11 AT 05:33 PM (EST)

So who is on the verge of a breakdown? Not Phillip, if he has his best day yet. I can only think this is more misdirection pertaining to Matt's continuing situation on RI, it doesn't fit anyone else. Whatever it is it will turn out to be a big nothing I'm sure.

04-21-11, 06:38 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
BR, I think it's Matt per the preview.

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-11, 06:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
Yep, Matt gets 50% of the clue action this week, and the rest is about the twist. Great.

Flowerpower 7262 desperate attention whore postings

04-21-11, 08:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
LAST EDITED ON 04-21-11 AT 08:58 PM (EST)

Yes, Matt got 50% of the clue, and it's ALL old footage and misdirection. Most likely filmed when he was alone after his second boot, not when he has a partner on the island...it is the editing only making it look like over time he's spiraling downward, it's all carp...imho.

04-21-11, 06:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
LAST EDITED ON 04-21-11 AT 06:14 PM (EST)

There needs to be a double boot this episode per my timeline I worked out. Either a double boot or the Family Visit, which it clearly is not.

The double boot has to be done while still conducting a duel. They cannot have all these people on RI for that many days with no action. A double tribal as in Ep 9 crowds the broadcast episode too much to add a duel, so they need an alternative.

Last night I thought it would be like the Cooks, just from the word twist. Now we have the package to be brought at TC.

The question to work out is, will one immunity extend to both votes? Wasn't an issue in the Cooks because it was still tribal, so no one was immune.

Either
1) it's one hell of an immunity, good for two votes (never been done)
2) second vote there is no immunity (never been done)
3) they work in a quick IC at the TC, something short. (has been done, quiz).

That would give them more time to think though.

04-21-11, 06:54 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
Personally I like your Option 3 because it seems most fair...but then again, they don't seem to care about the integrity of the game, so who knows. When they did the twist in Cook, was it option 2? I'm going to have to go back and check because I don't recall.

Part of me says this is a good thing to speed up the Pagonging...but on the other hand, I don't like the fact that it pretty much screws the last Zap out of any chance to wheel/deal with potential flippers. Only chance seems to be if Steve or Ralph win immunity.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but it sure seems to me like they're doing everything they can to help Rob out this season -- tribe of young sheep, lots of puzzle challenges, RI, etc.

04-21-11, 08:37 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
#2 by default (no individual immunity that episode, the next episode was when they merged into one tribe).

Wouldn't it be funny if Rob left his bag at camp and had no immunity or HII for the second vote?!!

04-22-11, 06:07 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
Funny, yes!

Squid, just to reinforce what dabo said, when I said it was still tribal in the Cooks, I meant it was pre-merge. It was one tribe that lost the IC, that was hit with a second vote after the first.

Individual immunity wasn't a factor, and they've only done that twist once, so we don't know how they will handle immunity.

It's been a precept of Survivor that every TC, there has been some way in which immunity could be won, if not as a tribe, then as a shot by the individual. Even the double boots offer that chance.

Someone said that wasn't the case at F4 in Pearl Islands, but I missed the end of that season and would need to be refreshed.

I dunno, maybe it is all one TC with two boots and the same immunity works all the way through.

04-22-11, 11:31 AM (EST)
22. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
Gotcha, I missed the line about Cook being tribal. And yes, would be hilarious if Rob forgot his HII but I think he's too smart for that.

Do you guys still think the whole mystery package is just announcing a double boot? I'm beginning to think that's too obvious and there's got to be something more, like a special advantage or 1-time immunity or something like that. Maybe it's just my wishful thinking, but if it's just a pure double boot and 2 Zaps go quickly, then I think it's lame.

04-22-11, 12:02 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
Maybe it has a box of rocks. They have to draw rocks. One is purple... This season does have a habit of going from bad to worse to worse to.. But of course I'm joking .. about the purple rock.

It seems to be a pretty small package.

04-22-11, 08:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
>every TC, there has been some way
>in which immunity could be won...
>Someone said that wasn't the case
>at F4 in Pearl Islands,
>but I missed the end
>of that season and would
>need to be refreshed.

No one was immune at PI's F4 but they had a chance to win it. They had a quizz but the members of the jury could also compete. The jury "won". Yes, that was another stupid twist.

04-23-11, 06:24 PM (EST)
31. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
Thanks michel! Now you mention it, it comes back to me.
So my point stands. There has never been a vote where the players didn't have an opportunity to win immunity in some fashion.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-11, 07:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
That one just might get my vote as the stupidest twist of all time (yes, even more than the ghost tribe one) - the jury got voted out, so why are they competing (as one group, no less, against individuals) against players fighting for their survival life. Talk about unfair!

04-23-11, 08:17 PM (EST)
35. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
My guess was that they wanted to give Rupert and his fans the impression he was still playing.

04-21-11, 10:57 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
LAST EDITED ON 04-21-11 AT 11:00 PM (EST)

Here's the web promo that sheds more light on the mystery package:
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor/video/?pid=STjiWJw8k93us1VDKQWyLrCEzMcazhyU

Challenge is the log roll. It appears that some of the players (Phillip, Ralph, Steve and Natalie) are sitting on a bench during/after the challenge when Jeff tosses something to Steve and says, "Bring this with you to Tribal Council." (Unclear whether it's just for Steve or for everyone.)

There's also a closeup near the end of the clip of the package itself sitting on a bench or table -- looks like a book-sized tablet wrapped in a cloth. And Rob says to Grant, why does there have to be a twist?

Hopefully the vidcaps will be posted soon so we can investigate further.

ETA: Found this shot of the mystery package over at Mess -- thanks to VG!!

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

04-22-11, 12:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
I agree with OFG that the opportunity for Immunity has always accompanied TC. OFG's time table also supports the scenario that the twist at TC is a double boot.

Based on these assumptions, the package may be the mechanism for the second Immuntiy Challenge. In fact, in the interest of time, the package may contain a method whereby Immunity is won by a random draw.

Based on the size of the package, it could be a tile for each contestant drawn at random, one of which wins Immunity.

After the immunity drawing, a second vote could take place.

Krautboy

04-22-11, 06:06 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
KB, I like your idea that the package could contain the materials/game pieces for the 2nd IC. OFG had mentioned a possible quiz or something along those lines, which makes sense.

I do think it must be more than simply a note (or tablet) that says double boot.

Still curious about why Steve and whether that's random or not.

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings

04-23-11, 11:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
The toss to Steve seemed random to me. Kind of like tossing the merge buffs to David. Steve was sitting in the middle of the bench where those eliminated waited. Then, after rewarding Immunity he tosses the mystery package to the tribe.

Subconciously Jeff may have selected Steve because he's a Zapatera and they are in trouble...the package may represent immunity, and hope for the remaining Zaps.

Krautboy

04-23-11, 06:29 PM (EST)
32. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
At MESS, someone suggested it is a quiz tablet. Naturally the entire props for a challenge need not be in the package. It seems to me more like a wrapped present thrown out to give them something to spec about.

It was also brought up that at the same point of the China game, Jeff surprised them with a quiz RC after the vote. The actual RC trip started the next episode.

We do have a problem with Ep 12, which should be the family visit -- including an RC, reward segment, Duel, IC, and TC. So if they could get part of that out of the way it would be good.

They still need a double boot.

04-23-11, 06:41 PM (EST)
33. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
I was thinking the same thing but more like individual chalk boards. I think I even see lumps where chalk could be sitting on the boards, all wrapped up.
The result of the challenge, whether a 2nd Immunity for a second tribal council OR a pre-reward for the next cycle, I don't know. But I would gather that even though they need a double boot, nothing from the promos is hyping the 2 people going angle which usually goes with the new promos.
Of course we still have the PIP and the longer web versions to get through as far as hype is concerned but at this moment I'm leaning towards a pre-reward. Or some other form of Twist. Like Ghost Juror or something more 'game changing'.

Round Robin 2914 desperate attention whore postings

04-24-11, 00:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Round%20Robin Click to send private message to Round%20Robin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
Don't know for sure, but from reading all the different threads it looks like a double voteoff at some point, but only single elims on RI till the finale, which will likely include a 4 player "duel" with all 3 losers getting eliminated.

04-24-11, 03:38 AM (EST)
37. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
They have always announced the one from each tribe double boot and the two TC's double tribal, but when they did the Cook Islands twist with a surprise second vote, they did not let on what the twist was in the promos. I remember we spec'd about it all week.

So because of that precedent, I'm still open to double boot.

I keep hearing references to Jeff saying pre-premiere that there wouldn't be any stand alone RC's this season. Can anyone confirm the actual quote?

If that is true, then it would be a combo challenge.
But maybe it's not true. All I have on it is people at MESS saying that Jeff said it, but no interview.

Blind Freddy 444 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

04-25-11, 01:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Blind%20Freddy Click to send private message to Blind%20Freddy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
47. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
<waves to OFG>
Hey...I did some digging and here are the refs I can find on the 'no standalone RCs' issue.

First is this article from EW (Dalton Ross) with JP quotes intermixed thru article.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2010/12/20/survivor-jeff-probst-redemption-island-twist/

text of interest (12/20/10)
---------------------
In another format switch, since each episode will include a Redemption Island duel, you can expect there to be just one combined reward/immunity challenge per episode for the players that have yet to be voted out. “This is the most excited I’ve been in a long time when it comes to a twist. I really hope Redemption Island adds a new layer that we can use for years to come,” said Probst. “We have no idea what’s gong to happen. It’s a big risk. It could fail miserably. I don’t think it’s going to.”
-----------------

Comment: It should be noted that it is NOT JP who makes the mention of 'just one combined RC/IC per episode' in this article....it is Dalton Ross. All that said, Dalton has proven to be a reliable source and subject to blatant misdirection and this info might have been derived in contemporaneous notes from talks/interviews with JP.

======================================================
Next is this Andy Dehnart article ref, tho there is no indication where exactly his info came from.

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/survivor_redemption_island/2010_Dec_20_details

Text of interest (12/20/10)
---------------------
The official announcement of Survivor Redemption Island on Sunday night was followed by additional details about the new, game-changing twist. Among other things, there will usually be two challenges per episode, a combined reward and immunity plus the new redemption duel, while the twist is something that CBS has rejected for years.
---------------------

Comment: I think the use of the word 'usually' might just mean...usually a combined RC/IC AND a RI Duel...meaning that there won't always be both a RC/IC and a RI Duel in each and every episode. And we have seen just that. Now how valid is AndyD's info? I think he's likely gleaning it from EW's article.

=================================================

And another mention of the RC/IC issue in an interview of Mark Burnett by Andy Dehnart

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/survivor_redemption_island/2011_Jan_07_burnett_interview

Text of interest (1/07/11)
---------------------
“One last question. So, Survivor has had some budget cuts that Jeff Probst has talked about, with back-to-back seasons,” I said, referring to the conversation I had with Probst a year and a half ago, when he told me that filming two seasons in the same location, one after the other, was only “because of budget cuts” and “to save money,” and said that change was “going to be hard on” the hundreds of crew members who produce the show. (Read that whole interview for the full quotes.)

I continued, “Do you think that’s hurt the show? Not being able to do two challenges an episode, having to stay in the same place?”

Burnett said, “We can do two challenges an episode. What are you talking about?”

“Like this past season: So many combined reward/immunity challenges,” I said.

“That had nothing to with budget. That was a creative choice,” he said. “We have plenty of budget to do whatever challenges we want.”

“It’s just to focus more on the strategy, then?” I asked, standing corrected and genuinely curious about both my apparently inaccurate assumption—that budget also affected their ability to do two big challenges an episode—and how interesting it is that producers are choosing to eliminate 50 percent of one of the major draws, the competition.

“It depends what’s happening in the episode,” Burnett said. “In the episode…” He was interrupted by someone who came over to give him a hug and make small talk, and so I didn’t follow up on this, but it sounded like he was suggesting that they decide how many challenges to have on the fly, based on what’s going on, and that doesn’t make sense, considering how much planning and work is involved in creating each challenge.

Burnett returned from talking to the other person and said, “It has nothing to do with budget. You ask such stupid questions.”
---------------------

Comment: So Burnett basically skirted the issue and stuck to his story that the Producers can choose to do whatever they want each season and none of those decisions are based on budget...tho some decisions might be based on in-game events('what's happening in the episode'). Burnett addressed the budget issue, saying it didn't restrict separate RC/ICs, but didn't address whether time would be a constraining factor.

There might be other interviews/articles covering this issue but this is what I could find at the moment. Hope it helps.

04-25-11, 03:49 PM (EST)
48. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
That helped so much! I had only seen the Burnett interview.

I wonder if the twist is a combined challenge at tribal.
Like the Cooks there will be a second vote but after a new immunity is won.

Like China, the reward for Ep 12 will be won, with the actual reward taking place next time? Just spec, not conviction.

04-26-11, 02:56 AM (EST)
49. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
LAST EDITED ON 04-26-11 AT 02:58 AM (EST)

When I checked the Cook Island archives here, there wasn't very much talk about it at all and the promo itself said that 2 people would be voted out.
SeeBS Misdirection Vidcaps

I'm still thinking game changing twist ≠ double boot.

04-24-11, 08:49 PM (EST)
43. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
If the two people leaving are the last two Zaps, as I suspect they will be, the twist won't really have accomplished anything game-altering. In fact the net result will be rather dull since it doesn't even leave one final minority tribe member in the game to attempt to shake things up.

In which case the double boot wouldn't particularly be worth hyping.

04-24-11, 05:49 AM (EST)
38. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
My take on what they might be getting at with Matt's journey this week:

A passage through "the dark night of the Soul."

This is something I studied quite a bit in a comp lit class I took on mysticism where we studied St. John of the Cross's poem of that name. The theme is the stages of the journey towards being united with God or higher consciousness. Matt has, IMO, a mystical inclination. (He is not merely a big churchgoer; he is seeking something different.)

Wikipedia does a good job of describing this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Night_of_the_Soul

Basically, a seeker who has been progressing and feeling pleased with progress on the spiritual path, hits a wall of despair, blockage. Everything that used to "work" does not -- including prayer. The seeker feels completely abandoned, lost.

Jesus suffering on the Cross is thought to have undergone a dark night of the soul experience, when he asked why he had been forsaken.

I can understand how Matt could lose it. 21 days and for much of it he has nothing but rice, white rice, no protein. No fish, no rewards, only the merge feast. Severe isolation.

The reason I bring it up is that this crisis occurs as part of the journey. It is not typically the END of the journey. If they are showing us Matt's journey in a symbolic fashion, which it seems they are, then it would make sense that he plumbs the depths, then gathers new resolve.

The path of a mystic is sprinkled with extreme ups and downs, even though there is a sort of even serenity that may be exhibited when the path appears clear. The soul longs for a sense of progress. As long as there is progress, any amount of sacrifice may seem tolerable.

When the sense of progress disappears, then the seeker feels he/she is not getting anywhere, that it's all for nothing, that the Lord isn't walking hand in hand with him, and so forth... but the dark night of the soul ends ...
and Matt will most likely snap out of it.

04-24-11, 11:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
LAST EDITED ON 04-24-11 AT 11:08 AM (EST)

Yes, I think you are onto something here, with your research, and the editing of Matt...(thanks for always going the extra mile to look things up and apply them, OFG! You are amazing, and I know that it is so time consuming....most appreciated!)

When the sense of progress disappears, then the seeker feels he/she is not getting anywhere, that it's all for nothing, that the Lord isn't walking hand in hand with him, and so forth... but the dark night of the soul ends ...
and Matt will most likely snap out of it.

They want us to see the depths of isolation, and wasting away that Matt had to go through. They have a special edit for Matt, and therefore, he must persevere through it. The way they are editing Matt, and the way that he is constantly noted in the intros to each show, especially with this last intro....Rob contemplating Matt coming back into the game to beat him, and then Matt noting so he can get back in the game and go after Rob. All of this pits Rob vs. Matt. I think we will see this come to fruition. It will, could be the last hurdle that Rob must jump, the last test.

And, now with the new promo will Rob's tribe wake up and vote him out, or is this Rob's year to win it. Well, at this point, I think Rob's tribe will not wake up in time. I think this season will come back to Matt and Rob. Either way EPMB wins....if Rob wins he is "redeemed" after being a 3 time loser, and if Matt wins, he's redeemed after being a 2 time loser, the first one to survive RI from it's inception....No wonder Jiffy is happy!

04-24-11, 12:45 PM (EST)
41. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
Wow~ Great thinking here.
After reading thru your thoughts and I went back watching thru all the episodes, I do agree with you that at one point there will be Matt vs Rob again and it will be a huge factor to the results in this game.

After Matt was voted out again in EP9, my thoughts were he will be gone soon but it totally changed now. And if there is Matt vs Rob at some point in the game, I'll bet that it's not at RI but in the actual game. And if so, Matt will be returnee to form a new F5 with Rob and fellow3.

04-24-11, 09:47 AM (EST)
39. "Clues..."
LAST EDITED ON 04-24-11 AT 11:09 AM (EST)

Thought I would bring all the verbage to one spot...

ONE CASTAWAY REACHES THEIR BREAKING POINT IN THE GAME AND STRUGGLES TO FIND THE STRENGTH TO CONTINUE,

"A Mystery Package" — One castaway is on the verge of a breakdown, while other castaways speculate about the contents of a mystery package and how it affects their strategy

Now, let's examine the transcripts from the promos...

Phillip: I am truly blessed, sitting on a rock at camp in his pink undies..
.Jeff: Phillip has his greatest day yet!

In confessional, Rob: it's all about getting rid of the right person at the right time.

Jiffy: While Andrea could be headed for an early departure. (See her at camp...)

Jeff: Meanwhile on RI: Matt says while sitting alone at RI, crying, I'm so over this game, man....While Matt sinks to the darkest depths of his soul. I'm out here wasting away, God's literally been carrying me..., see Matt crying.

VO: After 21 days on Redemption Island...

Matt: God's literally been carrying me.
VO: ... has Matt finally broken?
Matt: I'm just so over this game, man.
VO: And...
Phillip: Zaba Doo Da. Hey!
VO: ... Phillip gets kookier by the day.
Steve: He's a different breed.
VO: How has he managed to survive?
Rob: As long as he keeps up his stupid antics... he's under my protection.
VO: But, will a surprise twist...
Probst: "Bring it with you to Tribal Council."
VO: ... change the game completely?

Rob: I don't understand why there has to be a twist. Always a twist.
VO: New Survivor, CBS Wednesday.

VO: Is Phillip the nuttiest player ever...
Phillip: Am I good or what, baby!
VO: ... or is he just playing everyone?

Phillip: Son, you can't stand the truth!
VO: New Survivor, CBS, Wednesday.

VO: Rob is the island Godfather.

Rob: One man should not have this much power on an island.
VO: Will the other castaways finally wake up and vote him off...

Grant: Timing is everything in this game.
VO: ... or is this his year to win it all?

VO: And, is Phillip the nuttiest player ever or just playing everyone?

Phillip: Son, you can't stand the truth!
VO: New Survivor, CBS, Wednesday.

So, the clue tells asks us about Matt, but we know that Matt is not going anywhere. The next clue simply states that they will speculate about the mystery package.

The promo transcripts lead us to explore several others....
In the preview, Phillip has his best day ever, while Andrea could be headed for an early departure...does make me wonder if Andrea burns herself. She won't be going anywhere, she's a decoy.

Then with the next promo, more Matt doubt, but Phillip is a different breed, and he's kookier than ever, how has he managed to survive? Because he's under the godfather's protection....but, now, with a surprise twist, will it ruin Rob's plan, and lead to a Phillip boot?

Then we have a very cocky Phillip promo....is he "just playing everyone"?

Then the latest promo brings Rob to center stage....The Island Godfather, will they wake up and vote him off, or is this his year to win it all? Then more on Phillip, is he the nuttiest player or just playing everyone?

With Rob noting in the first promo about it's noting the right person to go at the right time, and then with Grant then saying later, when they question whether they will wake up and vote him off, cliearly no, imo, because Grant is echoing what Rob has been telling him. I'd bet he's giving a confessional about what Rob has fed him, in relation to others. I would be shocked if in the episode, Grant is referring to Rob here...so, for me, Rob is not going anywhere, he's the boot decoy, and as it winds down, he's likely to be a boot decoy/candidate with every remaining episode. It would be great for Grant to note it's about timing for Rob, if we can vote him out when the last one is returned from RI, because then he couldn't get back to the game and get us...but, don't think we will hear that.

So, the question is could kooky, cocky Phillip, who could be playing everyone, get the boot because of the surprise twist...which would foil one of Rob's plans....

Or, will Ralph and Steve just be toast, and this is all smoke and mirrors...again?

04-24-11, 05:18 PM (EST)
42. "RE: Clues..."
Thanks so much for gathering all the VO, FP. Much of it I haven't seen or heard yet.

I don't see any move against Rob this week. Soon he will need to think about getting Grant off -- although it may not work this season, so maybe he won't.

Rob should know he is throwing away Ometepe jury votes if he goes after any of the six with Ralph and Steve still in the game.

F7 is the ideal point to flip the game around, and some may be thinking of F7, because F6 is going to be tough -- if you don't think you'll be part of the 4 vs 2.

However, a surprise double boot would take away the time for strategizing at F7. I tend to think that Steve and Ralph are toast. It's not like either one of them aren't candidates to win an immunity if Rob lets them stay. Steve nearly beat Rob last time.

Re Matt -- "sinks to the darkest depths of his soul" is very close to saying what I was talking about ... "the dark night of the soul." I agree that he and Rob will meet again.

Round Robin 2914 desperate attention whore postings

04-25-11, 00:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Round%20Robin Click to send private message to Round%20Robin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
44. "RE: Clues..."
If Rob is serious about sending tough players to RI to try to get rid of Matt before he can come back into the game, he needs to stick with the plan and pagong the remaining 2 Zaps, because they offer him his best shot at getting that done. So despite whatever misdirection and bull$hit Marko and JiffyProbe throw at us, I don't look for Rob to be the author of any eforts by the Omes to eat any of their own.

04-25-11, 02:03 AM (EST)
45. "RE: Clues..."
LAST EDITED ON 04-25-11 AT 02:04 AM (EST)

Agree, but take Matt out of the equation, just consider the RI twist on its own.

Rob doesn't know when someone will be coming back from RI, for all he knows it is at the next duel, or RI could run to the very end with the returnee basically going directly to Final Tribal. It is really pointless to worry about who comes back. Not knowing when means he really cannot afford to start cannibalizing Ometepe before it is necessary, he would shatter his power structure and if someone returned from RI the next morning that player would be able to take advantage of anti-Rob sentiments. The only way Rob can make a premature move against an Ometepe is

1. If the last remaining Zapatera wins individual immunity,
2. To thwart an oust Rob rebellion, or
3. If one Ometepe becomes so much a nuisance that a majority of Ometepe just decide enough is enough.

Basically, Ralph and Steve are goners, it is just a matter of figuring out in which order they get the boot.

katethegreat 207 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-26-11, 07:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail katethegreat Click to send private message to katethegreat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
50. "RE: Clues... and a possible double boot"
I agree with many that this may be the clue to a double boot. What if they vote, boot a Zap, then they have to vote a second time, and the remaining Zap has immunity? Either that Zap hangs on to Immunity from the challenge, or they win immunity in a chalkboard style quiz. Now Rob has no time to guide his tribe before they have to vote out one of their own. Who will go in that case? Phil?

04-26-11, 08:44 AM (EST)
51. "RE: Clues... and a possible double boot"
Rob might play his HII in that situation, so it is a total shot in the dark. Phil is the natural vote magnet. The editing has set up animosity exists between Phil and Ashley, so it may turn against Ashley. Or if Rob can work it out he might be able to send Grant to RI on a mission to knock out the competition and get back in the game. Phil would probably believe that nonsense, tell Grant to be a good soldier, salute, and others might jump on it as the better you than me option.

04-26-11, 09:01 AM (EST)
52. "RE: Clues... and a possible double boot"
See my SOTS supplement here...

parathor 250 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-26-11, 09:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail parathor Click to send private message to parathor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
53. "RE: Clues... and a possible double boot"
Probably Phil... but I can see either Rob hinting on who to vote out, or maybe this scenario:

Jeff: "Rob, what's going on in your mind right now as you have to vote off an Ometepe, since Ralph has immunity for some reason?"
Rob: "It's hard, you know? I mean, I don't want to see Phillip leave, but it really looks that way."
Phillip: "The former Zomet... zapemena... Omentarra tribe is..."
Jeff: "So Rob, you're saying you're voting for Phillip."
Rob: "I'm just saying that if Phillip wasn't here tomorrow morning, I'd understand, but that's how the game goes sometimes. You have to make a decision. Plus we have to beat Matt..."
Phillip: "Exactly. And if it takes a Federal agent to outslip... I mean, playout, playsmart, and playwit the former blonde omezarra tribemate on redemption island, then..."
Jeff: "Phillip, are you volunteering to go to Remeption Island?"
Phillip: "Yes, Jeff. We need to outslip Matt."

04-27-11, 02:51 PM (EST)
54. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
Meant to mention this earlier -- David had a weird hint in his RNO interview that there's 1 more thing he does that's coming up:

RNO: We are about out of time, so is there anything else you’d like to tell us about your time on Survivor?

David: The only thing I’ll say is it’s not done yet. I’ve got something left to do.

RNO: Interesting! We’ll look forward to that.

David: I am as well.

RNO: Hmmm, foreshadowing! Thanks again, David!

-----------

David could just be talking about his role on the jury and questioning at the final TC...or who knows, it could be lame hype, but I'm just wondering if the jury and/or RI people could possibly play a role in the surprise twist tonight.

04-27-11, 05:20 PM (EST)
55. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
*ding ding ding*

Much to the chagrin of steady viewers, I believe another chance for the Jury (or those on RI) to have a say before they have their final say is on the horizon.
OR
Those still in play will have a chance to alter an eventual outcome at RI (or on the Jury). Redemption revenge redemption.

04-27-11, 05:57 PM (EST)
56. "RE: Ep 11 "A Mystery Package" - Clues"
michel remembered that on Pearl Islands the jury actually participated in an "immunity quiz" at the Final 4 TC, and won:

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID2/7670.shtml#29

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •