The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Character analysis"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Spoiler/Speculation Forum (Protected)
Original message

badger 1273 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

08-11-04, 09:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail badger Click to send private message to badger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Character analysis"
Who is getting the "winning" edit?

Of the teams we have left, here are my thoughts on how they're portrayed:

1) The twins: They're from my home town, so they're near and dear to my heart that way (and they're my pick for #1 on PTTE). But I gotta admit... they aren't being portrayed as very bright. They repeatedly come in last or second to last. They misread and misunderstand clues. Not winners.

2) The bowling moms: They are struggling now. But they remain positive, even in the face of missing scarabs, stupid cab drivers, and no money. I don't think they'll win, but they do stand as "good sports" in comparison with some of the other remaining teams.

Namely

3) Charla and Mirna: I know lots of people like these two. And they have, as Charla said last night, survived longer than many people expected. But we see Mirna whine a lot and consider quitting (e.g. not being able to carry the rack of beef, struggling with the goats). And we see her get into many spats with other contestants. While C & M can't seem to understand why they're hated, the editing makes it pretty clear.

But

4) Colin and Christie: Colin is an a##. Although this team is doing well, I think his temper and attitude will prove to be their downfall. To me, they're portrayed as the group on the ego -trip that needs to be knocked down to size. And they don't get along; they don't "trust" each other.

Unlike

5) Brandon and Nicole: Barf. These two make me sick. Although I can admire the irony of Brandon invoking his god to help him find an egyptian scarab, I can't stand these 2's constant "sweet talk" and "god talk." But they are being portrayed as far nicer people -- "good christians" -- than Colin and Christie and Charla and Mirna.

6) Chip and Kim: Based on the editing, I think these two are the winners. The come from behind... The comments about Kim's personal growth... The positive comments about the sights they're seeing... The gestures of good will towards other teammates.

Just my thoughts. Yours?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Character analysis missygirl3 08-11-04 1
 RE: Character analysis toddE 08-11-04 2
 RE: Character analysis minky 08-11-04 3
 RE: Character analysis anotherkim 08-11-04 4
   RE: Character analysis Gingerman28 08-11-04 5
   RE: Character analysis ElroyJetson 08-11-04 6
       RE: Character analysis nailbone 08-11-04 8
       RE: Character analysis Loree 08-11-04 9
           RE: Character analysis Ontario TAR Fan 08-11-04 10
       RE: Character analysis toddE 08-11-04 11
       RE: Character analysis Amily 08-12-04 14
 RE: Character analysis realitybites 08-11-04 7
 RE: Character analysis Oscirus 08-11-04 12
   RE: Character analysis minky 08-12-04 13
   RE: Character analysis badger 08-12-04 15
   RE: Character analysis toddE 08-12-04 16
 RE: Character analysis Rothschild 08-12-04 17
   RE: Character analysis minky 08-13-04 18

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

missygirl3 541 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-11-04, 09:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail missygirl3 Click to send private message to missygirl3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Character analysis"
I agree with you, badger. I was thinking the same thing last night.I dont really care for Chip and Kim, but I think they are being edited to look like the winners. and the whole bit about God w/ Nicole and Brandon is getting old.

toddE 1433 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-04, 11:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail toddE Click to send private message to toddE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Character analysis"
I pretty much exactly agree with your comments. Last night I was thinking that, sadly for me, Charla and Mirna are going to go next because of the deadly 1-2 editing combo of:
1. "We've proven ourselves"--whenever teams perceived as "weak" are shown proudly stating that they have shown themselves as a force to be reckoned with, they get eliminated soon after.
2. Unnecessarily negative editing: Specifically, the taxi incident. No one even used the taxi, apparently, and definitely no impact on game play whatsoever. But it made both Mirna and Colin look bad, so probably neither of them win but C/M go sooner.

The only other thing is that I do believe the "Bowling Moms," in addition to Chip/Kim have been given a winning edit. Unfortunately, the God Squad has also been given winning edit, so I think it's between those three teams.

Sadly, I see C/M next (after next week's non-elimination), followed by the twins and C/C.

minky 78 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

08-11-04, 11:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail minky Click to send private message to minky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Character analysis"
1.Chip and Kim getting remarkably good editing- Chip gushing over the Nile. Kim pleased to contribute. Picked up a bit of savy and Chip stopped saving everyone's butt in the scarab hunt. Stong improvement in gameplaying. "You are Nefertiti, Queen of the Nile". And next week's promos have more of the same.

2. BM's getting a positive edit as persistent, but dogged by bad luck. Twisted ankle, panhandling money, bad taxi driver, horrible luck in finding scarab. Looking for continued good editing, but not in final 3.

3. God Squad- I see complex editing here. "Insecurity" - balancing ying and yang of a seemingly strong but emotionally weak man with his less robust, but more together companion. Final 3.

4. Team Intensity- Having to edit Colin quite negatively to draw attention from their consistently good,lucky, but unemotional and uninspiring, gameplaying. Not a winner because they are being edited to keep us from being involved, but top 3.

5. Gidget and the Midget- Ooh, foreshadowing and pretty negative edit with all sorts of strange Mirna soundbites. Not long for this game.

6. Twins- They looked as if they were redeeming themselves, but then they had to show the carriage going the wrong way. Negative editing on the scarab hunt. They will be the dough boys of all subsequent episodes and not make final 4.

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-11-04, 11:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Character analysis"

Very good analysis.

Chip and Kim have blasted from relative obscurity to the forefront. I couldn't tell you much about them the first couple of weeks, but now that the race is progressing, I think they are definitely being edited as winners.

Charla and Mirna have arced. Mirna is going to die every time she has to do a task. Charla has proven herself time and time again. I think that they are winding down.

Colin and Christie...yuck. he's suck an ass. I think they are building him up for a mighty fall and I personally can't wait.

The twins are self-destructing, but they really haven't been a focus yet.

I think that after this week it will be easier to see the end games shaping up more. Right now there are two "dead weight" teams that don't seem to be a threat--Bowling Moms and the Twins. Once they're out of the way, then the realy fighting can begin.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--I love this show.

Gingerman28 380 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

08-11-04, 11:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Gingerman28 Click to send private message to Gingerman28 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Character analysis"
Chip and Kim certainly portray the attributes that the producers were looking for in the applications which include the item about the pleasures of foreign travel and the joy of discovering new things about the world around us. The editing always singles them out showing their awe in the Hermitage in St. Pete, and at the Pyramids, and now at the Karnak Temple and on the Nile river. More such occasions will come up next week, and the following weeks in Dubai, Calcutta, New Zealand and finally through the Philippeans on home. At the moment, I see them as the clear winners. And a team that really will be perfect for CBS to promote what the Amazing Race is all about (besides winning the million big ones)discovering the world around us.

What a difference the team of Chip and Kim make compared to the "ugly" Americans: Marshal and Vance, Colin and Christie and Mirna and Charla.

ElroyJetson 586 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-11-04, 12:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ElroyJetson Click to send private message to ElroyJetson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Character analysis"
Colin and Christie...yuck. he's suck an #####. I think they are building him up for a mighty fall and I personally can't wait.

I must be missing something. I usually think I have a pretty mainstream perception of the teams but I'm apparently out to lunch with Colin and Christie. Everyone seems to hate these 2 but I don't.

What am I missing? I think they are running a smart race. Sure, Colin is obviously egotistical but he clearly loves Christie (remember him crying in the interview following the caviar?). He's hard on her a lot, I'll give you that but overall they are very supportive of each other. Unlike Will, he's not personally insulting to Christie. I also love the way they stand up to Charla and Mirna. You can't let anyone walk all over you the way those two try.

Someone give me reasons to not like Colin and Christie.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-04, 01:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Character analysis"
I'm with you, Elroy. I see Colin as very intense, take-no-BS, possibly a bit arrogant. But not NEARLY as objectionable as the God Squad or Shmirna.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

The order of Banana delivery should be organized by location to save on shipping costs. o-

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-04, 03:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Character analysis"
>Colin and Christie...yuck. he's suck an
>#####. I think they are
>building him up for a
>mighty fall and I personally
>can't wait.

>
>I must be missing something.

I don't mind Colin and Christy either. I think Colin is rather intense. But I don't find him horrible. And I think they are running a very smart race. And I don't blame them for getting upset with Mirna. I would too.

Ontario TAR Fan 133 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

08-11-04, 04:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ontario%20TAR%20Fan Click to send private message to Ontario%20TAR%20Fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Character analysis"
Colin is THE most intense racer ever. He told us so himself in the first episode!

08-11-04, 04:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail toddE Click to send private message to toddE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Character analysis"
I am not sure why people don't like Colin so strongly. I mean, his intensity isn't appealing, and he's practically phobic that Charla the dwarf might beat him. But mostly he is bland. And Christy is mas bland. They might be the blandest team on TAR since Rob and Bennett (I'm not even sure if those are correct names), winners of the first TAR.

Amily 88 desperate attention whore postings

08-12-04, 02:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Amily Click to send private message to Amily Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Character analysis"
Here's a shallow reason why not to like Colin - at least why I don't. He reminds me of the Jim Carey character, Fire Marshal Bill from In Living Color (I think that was the show). Everytime I see him happy at the pit stop, I wait for him to let out a huge "Har Har Har!!" Creepy.

realitybites 1174 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

08-11-04, 01:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail realitybites Click to send private message to realitybites Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Character analysis"
I don't normally put much weight into the whole theory of "editing the winner" in regards to this show. But from what I've seen, it's clear that the editors are pushing us toward Brandon & Nicole as the winners. I'll get to the reasons shortly, but let me briefly mention what I see of the other teams:

* Kami & Karli - They're getting the Blake/Paige or David/Jeff treatment. They've made some decent moves, but a whole bunch of boneheaded ones. If they won, I don't think they would constantly remind us of their boners. Third place seems about right for them, though they could go earlier than that.

* Chip & Kim - They really want us to like this team, but I'm not getting a winning vibe from them. They seem like hardworking folks, but not especially creative or innovative. Fourth place comes to mind when I think of this team.

* Linda & Karen - I don't see anything special about their editing. I don't think they win, but it's for reasons other than the editing.

* Colin & Christie - They clearly want us to believe that they're the best racers, and they may be. But their editing is slightly negative (remember the priest shaking his head at their misfortunes? - even though that was probably staged/manipulated), and I don't think they make it in first. I'll slot them in for second for now.

* Charla & Mirna - These guys have gotten a ton of airtime on the show and in the previews, in addition to more than their share of press. Their 15 minutes are about up, and I think they're the next to go.

Brandon & Nicole are being edited as being larger-than-life (constant mention of God, special lighting, the nuns). The few hiccups in their relationship have been like chocolate squares under a zamboni. Brandon seems a little insecure for someone who's touched by God, and that combination is why I think they will win.

Feel free to tell me how wrong I was in about 7 weeks.

"This is realitybites and I approved this post."

Oscirus 1596 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

08-11-04, 06:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Oscirus Click to send private message to Oscirus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Character analysis"
I think differently than most I believe the final threee will more than likely be chip/kim, Brandon/Nicole, Colin/Christie.

The repeated "cluelessness" of the twins appears to be their downfall

The fact that charla and Mirna are edited as not being on the same page appears to be their downfall.

The bowling moms always appear to be catching up but never quite there.

now for the final three

Brandon/nicole leave this game with their consolation proze being that they know they make each other better

Chip/Kim's consolation prize is that they got to go all over the world and they enjoyed it immensley

there really hasn't been any consolation prize for Colin/christie and I believe thats because they are being edited as being untouchable and as being the winners.

08-12-04, 12:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail minky Click to send private message to minky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Character analysis"
I agree with your top 3, but I think Colin will have to start getting sweetheart editing, or have some humbling come-to-Jesus sort of confessional to have Team Intensity be the winners. Their editing is just too negative at this point.

They wouldn't at all be perceived as "popular" winners. Unless maybe Brandon or Chip are uncovered as used car salesmen perverts or something.

badger 1273 desperate attention whore postings

08-12-04, 05:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail badger Click to send private message to badger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Character analysis"
there really hasn't been any consolation prize for Colin/christie

here's hoping that the consolation prize is another kilo of caviar

08-12-04, 05:50 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Character analysis"
Oscirus, EVERYONE expects those to be the final 3 (although I can hope it will be different).
TAR hasn't, in the seasons I've seen, edited the winners in a particularly appealing light, especially as compared to Survivor editing.
For example, although I didn't see season 3, it seems that Flo was edited in a very negative way, although she won. I saw only a couple episodes of season 4, but Chip and Reichen didn't seem to be edited in a very favorable way, either. And in the first two seasons, neither winner was edited to be very likable. They were, however, edited as being very competitive.

If the same editing were in place this season, I would totally expect Colin/Christie to win. However, the show has never been a ratings hit until this season, and I wonder if the editing may be different, trying to have a more "popular" winner in the hopes of retaining viewers. I think this would be a good idea, because the dull (at best) and unlikable (at worst) winners of past seasons certainly haven't helped the show. That is why I really expect Chip/Kim to win, with Linda/Karen as longshot alternatives. The other 4 teams have all been edited in a neutral-to-negative manner.

Finally, the show has never had much diversity until now, and I think that is a big ratings help. That's why we see Charla in various magazines and everybody else (besides Mirna)...not so much. If the producers are going to mix this show up like they have so far this season, I think there will be more longevity than the "alpha males always win on this show" pattern till now.

Rothschild 496 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

08-12-04, 11:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Rothschild Click to send private message to Rothschild Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Character analysis"
Good Editing

08-13-04, 00:41 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Character analysis"
Watch out Brandon- that's not the Virgin Mary!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •