The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-08-04, 11:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
This never came up in the threads last night, but I wonder how everyone feels about the change in the results announcement.

There wasn't really any surprise to it, but it does reveal more than producers have told us in other seasons or other episodes. It identifies the front runners. And if they continue to do this, it could affect the voting.

This week I think it was easy to guess the top group. It was a little more difficult to predict the bottom group. Lots of folks dislike John/JPL/Fantasia and that group might have been the bottom group in some viewers' hearts. Camille's soul-sucking performance was enough to convince me that she would be in the bottom group. Let us never speak of her again.

So what did they change? We still would have known that Jasmine and Diana were in the bottom three. And we could have predicted that George and LaToya were in the top group. Jennifer's performance was good enough this week to put her there for now. Leaving the middle group by default.

But if they continue? Will fans of those top 3 get complacent? And is that the intention of the producers?

LaToya and Jennifer have both seen the bottom 3 already, so it is easy to see how fickle the voters can be. One bad performance could doom Jennifer. George and LaToya are probably safe for a few more weeks. And this could provide a wake-up call for Fantasia and her fans. She looked pretty uncomfortable standing with the two geeks, certain that she was in the bottom group. Her fans will probably double their efforts next week to push her into the top 3.

Maybe the 3/3/3 was a one time shot, easily done with nine players. If they continue to rank contestants in groups, it will be interesting to see how much movement takes place.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... brvnkrz 04-08-04 1
 RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... zombiebaby 04-08-04 2
 RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... ElroyJetson 04-08-04 3
   RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... greenmonstah 04-08-04 5
 RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... Mistral 04-08-04 4
   RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... callalilly3000 04-08-04 7
 RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... CantStandToLook 04-08-04 6
   RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... VirginiaIsForMe 04-08-04 9
   RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... Handola 04-08-04 17
 RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... opinionated 04-08-04 8
   RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... shedevil 04-08-04 10
       RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... callalilly3000 04-08-04 11
           RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... kelli_blue 04-08-04 12
           RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... shedevil 04-08-04 15
   RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... opinionated 04-08-04 13
       RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... TeamJoisey 04-08-04 25
       RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... greenmonstah 04-08-04 27
   RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... leogirl_21 04-08-04 14
   RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... EnglProf 04-08-04 19
 RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... I_AM_HE 04-08-04 16
   RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... shedevil 04-08-04 18
 RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... EnglProf 04-08-04 20
   RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... Lisapooh 04-08-04 21
       RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... managerr 04-08-04 22
       RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... I_AM_HE 04-08-04 23
       RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bott... Mysterious Jedi 04-08-04 24
       I had the same thought TeamJoisey 04-08-04 26
 are we sure? survivorscott 04-08-04 28

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

brvnkrz 20491 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-08-04, 11:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail brvnkrz Click to send private message to brvnkrz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
I don't care for the 3/3/3 as you put it. I agree that it shows the frontrunners which I thought was what they were trying to avoid. I hope it was just a one time thing to fill the show since it was one hour. I think the only ones benefitting from the 3/3/3 were the middle three. As in, work a little harder and you could be in the top three, or if you don't work harder you could be in that bottom three. I for one hope they don't continue this tradition.

if you don't have anything nice to say, come sit next to me.

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-04, 11:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
I did not think it was so bad, a little more interesting for once. I did however think that they were toying with us again and would pull a "suprise" like they did with La Toya and Red John last week.

I do agree that it probably won't work with different numbers, plus they would not want to reveal the front runners as it gets closer to the final 2.

ElroyJetson 586 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

04-08-04, 11:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ElroyJetson Click to send private message to ElroyJetson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
Personally, I liked it. It added a new level of drama to the mix.

To take it one step further, I'd like to see them bring all remaining contestants out and send them back to their seat one by one. Highest votes first. It would help fill up their "hour of fluff" better and America would know where everyone stands.

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-04, 11:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
Elroy = The preacher
Monstah= The choir

*I agree 100%...Also it will help determine what affect, if any, a one time, kick butt performance has on a certain night; or, do the top three have a constant place in the polls?

Great thread, TJ

Mistral 205 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-08-04, 11:35 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Mistral Click to send private message to Mistral Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
Oh, I think it will absolutely affect the voting. Because of this, I'm hoping it was a one-shot deal, but I didn't pay close enough attention.

I don't think it is an overall indicator though and I think we could see fluctuations from week to week (with maybe just a couple of them remaining consistently high/low).

On one hand, it gives someone like Fantasia a wake-up call that she isn't necessarily all that and a bag of chips, like she seems to think. If she can learn a little humility and graciousness, I think she stands a very good chance of taking the whole thing.

On the other hand, if someone remains consistently in the top, it kind of ruins the whole thing. I don't think anyone is dominantly popular right now and if we see the same top vote getter bracket every week, it might seem like we're being "pushed" to the vote.

I think there's already a lot of herd mentality in the voting, and people might be swayed to vote or not vote if they are grouped every week.

callalilly3000 693 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-04, 12:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail callalilly3000 Click to send private message to callalilly3000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
I was wondering when someone was going to touch on the subject. I get a little leary about starting a new thread, as it seems to upset different people.

I thought the concept of the groups was a bright, new twist. I do agree that if they kept with the trend, the voting would be swayed. Thus agreeing with Mistral.

As far as Fantasia, I hope to believe that by being in the middle group with John S. and JPL, she received a wake up call. I would like to think that she now knows that you are not the winner, until the last night and your name is called. So, hopefully her attitude will improve, and become more gracious.

CantStandToLook 6254 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-04, 12:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CantStandToLook Click to send private message to CantStandToLook Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
I thought it was a good way to shake things up and make it a little more interesting for us viewers. I'm not a fan of the results show at all becauase it's just so much filler.

I do think it will definitely affect the voting next week and thus hope it's only a one time deal. This competition is to some extent a popularity contest but I'd rather not have them influencing the vote by showing who's on top every week.

Handcrafted by RollDdice
blatantly causing cross-threading confusion since..eh..today

VirginiaIsForMe 13 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

04-08-04, 12:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VirginiaIsForMe Click to send private message to VirginiaIsForMe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
i agree that this is hopefully a one time thing, as it will most definitely affect the outcome if every week we see who the frontrunners are.

that said, i'm really glad they did it that way last night. it's obvious that Red and JPL are getting votes based on factors other than their performances. but we had no idea how powerful their voting fans were until last night, for all we knew they could actually have been first and second every week so far. it gives me hope that the "loyal fans" factor will only go so far, and ability will reign.

Handola 54 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

04-08-04, 01:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Handola Click to send private message to Handola Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
I agree that it will definitely affect the voting and the performance of the contestants if this trend is to continue. I don't see it continuing, however, because it is now down to 8 and the 3/3/3 won't work anymore. The idea of ranking from 1 to 8 is interesting, but it may eliminate the element of surprise as we get closer to the final 2. For example, if George is number one consecutively, then we might all assume that he will win the whole thing in the end. Last year was great because you really couldn't predict between Ruben and Clay.

I think this was a one shot deal. The good thing about it is that I am a fan of Fantasia (though I agree her attitude needs to tone down) and it was painful to see her sandwiched between the two Johns. I never actually vote because I don't have the patience to deal with the busy signal, but now I may step up and vote to keep her up there. I want George to win, but Fantasia really is one of the best. Besides, I'm sure a lot of supahstars have attitudes but we still love their music!

opinionated 151 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-08-04, 12:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail opinionated Click to send private message to opinionated Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
LAST EDITED ON 04-08-04 AT 12:31 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 04-08-04 AT 12:29 PM (EST)

>>Camille's soul-sucking performance was enough
>to convince me that she
>would be in the bottom
>group. Let us never speak
>of her again.

This is the second time you have made me ROFLMAO!

I think they just did the 3/3/3 thing because there were 9 contestants. I don't think we'll see anything like it again.

It's interesting to note which contestants haven't been in the bottom three yet. If my memory serves, that list would look like this:

JPL
Fantasia
George

Wait, has Johnny Red been in the bottom 3 yet? I mean, he certainly has deserved a spot there, but has he actually been there yet? I can't remember... Anyway, the only one who was never in the bottom 3 last year was Clay, so as the weeks go on it will interesting to watch which contestant (if any) has the most rabid fan base keeping him/her out of the basement.

opinionated

shedevil 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

04-08-04, 01:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
LAST EDITED ON 04-08-04 AT 01:05 PM (EST)

Is anybody really surprised about where they stood last night? I knew before it happened that Jenn, George and Latoya were in the top 3, why? because they were the best of the night and for once everyone voted fairly and not because somebody was their favorite. I think Fantasia is totally wearing thin with people, her last 2 performances have been weak and she has had her back to the fans both times. The only 2 people I would have switched is Diane for Fantasia. It was vomit worthy watching concieted Fantasia's look of disgust about being with JPL and John, it was clear that while she knew she didn't belong in the top group (she mouthed which group she would be going to) she was pissed and was totally acting like she was standing alone, She was the only person on that stage that didn't hug, touch or look at the people standing next to her. She's surely not who I'd want representing America.

callalilly3000 693 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-04, 01:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail callalilly3000 Click to send private message to callalilly3000 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
Amen to that Shedevil! Even though I thought that John S. might have been at the bottom. ( I was glad he wasn't, I was one of the few who liked his performance)

kelli_blue 301 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-08-04, 01:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kelli_blue Click to send private message to kelli_blue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
I enjoyed the 3/3/3 split. It spiced the show up! I was glad to see that LaToya, Jennifer and George were in the top because they gave the best performances that night.

04-08-04, 01:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shedevil Click to send private message to shedevil Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
Normally I would have said that John should be in the bottom 3 but I think compared to Fantasia, Camille, and Jasmine he did better, I would have him next in line though.

opinionated 151 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-08-04, 01:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail opinionated Click to send private message to opinionated Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
Hey all. Sorry for the teeny, tiny words in the above post, but I've tried to edit it twice, to no avail. I am showing my newness this week, eh? First I get 100 emails by accidentally clicking a box, then I try to get all technical and respond to a post with a quote and look what happens!

04-08-04, 06:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"

That's because you are picking up coding where you quoted me. I put in a {small} to make the type tiny. You need to put in {/small} to turn in off. Use the square bracket where I typed the curvy brackets.

greenmonstah 10761 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-04, 06:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greenmonstah Click to send private message to greenmonstah Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
LAST EDITED ON 04-08-04 AT 06:16 PM (EST)

You are making me laugh, Opinionated!

Even if you are not doing it on purpose

ETA: Just try not to touch anything, mmmkay?

leogirl_21 371 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

04-08-04, 01:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail leogirl_21 Click to send private message to leogirl_21 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
I thought that it was an interesting way to mix it up a little.

EnglProf 888 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

04-08-04, 02:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EnglProf Click to send private message to EnglProf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
Johnny Red has not been in the bottom three yet. Thanks to me! (LOL) Don't you all hate me?

I_AM_HE 6123 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-04, 01:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I_AM_HE Click to send private message to I_AM_HE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
are we SURE Latoya/Jennifer/George were the top 3? I think Jennifer IS and always has been top 3 (along with Latoya and AMY) but I just can't believe the voters actually put her there. And as much as I like George, his performance was painful. Of course, he obviously had enough people that loved it last night, even if I can't understand it at all. Plus Latoya has been in the bottom group once before.

I really can't believe Red would be top 3, but if he hasn't made bottom 3 once yet(?), it may be that he in fact has that large a fan base. I can see Fantasia and JPL in the top 3 though.

all the questioning aside, I agree with others that thought it was interesting as a one-time deal but are not sure they want to see it again (besides the fact that it's pretty much impossible with any other number except for 6, and that would be way more obvious)

04-08-04, 02:00 PM (EST)
18. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
I can honestly say that I would bet money that Jenn, George and Latoya were the top 3. They gave the best performances and Jenn got a standing ovation, Jenn also knew as soon as Latoya was sent to her group that she was in the top 3, you could tell on her face. It showed how much admiration Jenn has for Latoya's talent also.

EnglProf 888 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

04-08-04, 02:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail EnglProf Click to send private message to EnglProf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
I thought knowing about worst/middle/"best" was interesting, but that it sets a dangerous precedent that they won't continue. They just needed justification for the one hour thing.

I also agree that Jenn, Latoya, and George were the top three.

It definitely gives us more insight into the voting, as Greenmonster? seemed to suggest. I think it DID show how much one performance helps a contestant. Had Jennifer not sang so well, she wouldn't have been in the top three, because clearly her popularity hasn't been enough to keep her out of the bottom three danger zone.

Diana's being in the bottom three also seemed based mostly on her Tuesday night performance, which was flat as a pancake.

But I don't think they would ever dismiss them one by one in order. I agree it would take away the suspense as we move into lesser numbers, and it would too heavily influence the voting.

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-04, 02:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
I think it would have been more interesting to group them in 3 groups of 3 where each group contained someone from the bottom, someone from he middle and someone from the top.

Like, if you had a pairing of Fantasia, George and Jasmine - once Jasmine went to the bottom three Fantasia and George could have wondered which one was in the top three and which was in the bottom.

Poor Camille - did you get the feeling Jasmine and Diana thought they were in the middle three until Camille got sent over. They looked at that poor girl was like she was a strain of anthrax.

managerr 1959 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

04-08-04, 02:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail managerr Click to send private message to managerr Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
Yeah, they were hugging and smiling and looked pretty relaxed, until Camille came over. Then there was Jennifer Hudson's huge sigh of relief when Jon Stevens didn't get sent to her group.

They could have manipulated the groups somewhat. That is, Group C was the "top group", but it doesn't mean that it had the Top 3 voters. By "top group" they could have meant that the group as a whole got the most votes. That is George and Latoya could have blown everyone away, but Jennifer finished 4th from the bottom. Yet, even with her, as a group they finished as the top group overall.

I could see them manipulating it like that, if there plan is to make a Jennifer Hudson boot a couple of weeks down the road "shocking". Especially if Jennifer's fans now feel she is "safe" and stop voting as hard.

I_AM_HE 6123 desperate attention whore postings

04-08-04, 02:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I_AM_HE Click to send private message to I_AM_HE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
i like your idea pooh! and it could work as long as you have at least 2 people in each group (ie, down to 6 people)

Mysterious Jedi 1043 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-08-04, 02:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Mysterious%20Jedi Click to send private message to Mysterious%20Jedi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: thoughts on the top/middle/bottom 3 grouping"
>I think it would have been
>more interesting to group them
>in 3 groups of 3
>where each group contained someone
>from the bottom, someone from
>he middle and someone from
>the top.
>

That's what I thought they were going to do at first when Ryan explained it. It would have been a lot better that way, I agree.

04-08-04, 06:15 PM (EST)
26. "I had the same thought"
LAST EDITED ON 04-08-04 AT 06:18 PM (EST)

During the break, before they actually split the groups, I debated that 3-2-1 /3-2-1/ 3-2-1 grouping with Mrs.Joisey. We both thought it would add to the suspense, but would probably confuse Seacrest beyond hope.

survivorscott 2191 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

04-08-04, 06:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail survivorscott Click to send private message to survivorscott Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "are we sure?"
we as adults (for the most part) agree the three best performances were by Jen, Lat, and George. But did they ever say "You three got the highest vote"?

If the large majority of voters are the 12-13 year old girls, then the Johhny Red, Fant., JPL group could have easily been the highest vote getters.

Remember, Latoya, and jennifer have been in the bottom three already once this season.

Come in a stranger,leave a little stranger

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •