The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Medical evacuation tied to weather"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-10-09, 03:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Medical evacuation tied to weather"
LAST EDITED ON 09-14-09 AT 05:43 AM (EST)

Per Probst

"Samoa is very beautiful - and it kicked the a.s.s. of two people to the point where they had to be evacuated," Probst told Canwest News Service in a long, wide-ranging conversation. "It was hot, and then it rained. And it rained for about a week. They didn't have fire. And they couldn't get water. It was hard. It was definitely hard."

No significant rain from June 11th to 19th, as measured at Faleolo Airport somewhat to the northwest, but according to Weather Underground stats it rained 9.8 inches or almost TEN inches on June 20th, Day TEN according to TDT.

Although that was the only huge rain, it continued to rain 1/2 and inch to 3/4 inch a day through the 26th, which I guess is enough to keep it wet and accords with Jeff's statement of a week exactly.

On the 27th it stopped and there was no significant precipitation after that (less than 1/10 of an inch per day). Nor was there significant rain prior to the big dump.

I think we should expect the trouble to start in Ep 4, as even if they do a short cycle it will still be Ep 4. Allow the situation to build, perhaps, to Ep 5, or Day 16.

Question, would they have a double boot prior to Ep 5? Seem to remember Ep 5 was the double boot in Palau, which also whittled down to 18 people at the start. It would be ironic if they had a double boot just prior to the two medi-vacs that would pared the numbers down, and suddenly they are totally off schedule.

With luck for production, the evacs took the place of some acceleration.

The main point of this post is that if it's Yasmin and Mike who couldn't take it, they would need to survive three votes. Otherwise it's someone else who gets laid low by the lack of fire and water. I figure at least one of those two is gone in the first three TC's.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Snidget 09-10-09 1
 RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... michel 09-10-09 2
 RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... sol 09-11-09 3
   RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... michel 09-11-09 4
       RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Snidget 09-11-09 5
       RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... sol 09-11-09 6
       RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Georjanna 09-11-09 7
 RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Brownroach 09-11-09 8
 RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Outfrontgirl 09-14-09 9
   RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Outfrontgirl 09-14-09 10
   RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... sol 09-14-09 11
       RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Outfrontgirl 09-14-09 12
           RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... michel 09-14-09 13
               RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Outfrontgirl 09-14-09 14
                   RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... michel 09-14-09 17
 somewhat unrelated calendar note Outfrontgirl 09-14-09 15
 RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Outfrontgirl 09-14-09 16
   RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... sol 09-15-09 18
       RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Outfrontgirl 09-15-09 19
   RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... michel 09-15-09 20
       RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Outfrontgirl 09-15-09 21
 RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Outfrontgirl 09-29-09 22
   RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... emydi 10-01-09 23
       RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Brownroach 10-01-09 24
   RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... goldenmike4393 10-01-09 25
 RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Outfrontgirl 10-01-09 26
 RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Outfrontgirl 10-09-09 27
   RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... SquidProQuo 10-09-09 28
       RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... CTgirl 10-09-09 29
           RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... LFJ 10-09-09 30
               RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... SquidProQuo 10-09-09 32
           RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... SquidProQuo 10-09-09 31
               RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... sol 10-09-09 33
                   RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... SquidProQuo 10-09-09 34
 RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Outfrontgirl 10-10-09 35
   RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... LFJ 10-10-09 36
       RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Outfrontgirl 10-10-09 37
           RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... LFJ 10-10-09 39
               RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Outfrontgirl 10-13-09 44
   Dehydration Outfrontgirl 10-10-09 38
       RE: Dehydration NedraSue 10-19-09 48
           RE: Dehydration Outfrontgirl 10-19-09 49
 The Flint Problem SquidProQuo 10-11-09 40
   RE: The Flint Problem Flowerpower 10-11-09 41
       RE: The Flint Problem vince3 10-11-09 42
       RE: The Flint Problem SquidProQuo 10-11-09 43
           RE: The Flint Problem Flowerpower 10-13-09 45
 RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Outfrontgirl 10-13-09 46
 RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Outfrontgirl 10-16-09 47
 RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Outfrontgirl 10-20-09 50
   RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... jbug 10-22-09 51
       RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... emydi 10-22-09 52
           RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... jbug 10-22-09 53
   RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... goldenmike4393 10-22-09 54
   RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Brownroach 10-22-09 55
       RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... goldenmike4393 10-22-09 56
   RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... CTgirl 10-22-09 57
       RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Outfrontgirl 10-22-09 58
 RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Outfrontgirl 10-23-09 59
   RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... LFJ 10-23-09 60
       RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Outfrontgirl 10-23-09 61
           RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... jbug 10-23-09 62
 RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... SquidProQuo 10-25-09 63
   RE: Medical evacuation tied to weat... Outfrontgirl 10-25-09 64

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

09-10-09, 08:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
So it sounds like a DOR situation rather than a medic saying you'll die if you stay situation?

That is a little disappointing. As much as I don't like people to be hurt to the point of a health crisis on any show. I prefer seeing someone pulled out for something physically dangerous than just they broke down mentally and just can't take it anymore.

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

09-10-09, 08:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
Great job on the timing of the "big dump" (!!!)
Also interesting in that Jeff used 5 or 6 episodes as his measure of how long some players can last.

PS: You are right about episode #5 for the double boot in Palau (Angie and Willard). Vanuatu had it in episode #4, Guatemala and CI was in episode #6. So who knows when it will be this time but episode 5 or 6 seems to be key.

sol 219 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-11-09, 00:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sol Click to send private message to sol Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
Well done OFG.

As we have already seen, Foa Foa has fire in the 1st Ep.. This is not proof that it is Galu doesn't have fire ... they may win flint by winning the first IC. Therefore the question is, which team loses it's fire ... or do they both?

Is it too early to speculate who might be evacuated ?

Since JP just says they didn't have fire. And they couldn't get water, both teams could be affected.

According to OFGs reference the rain on Day 10 will probably douse both fires. But 2 days without water hasn't been an insurmountable obstacle in the past, so the challenges for Ep. 4 should be okay. Ep 5 is when some people may begin to break down. Who will they be?

JP says that Marisa and Mike from Foa Foa will be gone by Ep5, along with Yasmin from Galu. Will they be voted off? Or evacuated? He states that Shambo and Russell S. of Galu are nice people, but says nothing about being players. Could they leave the game? Kelly and Monica - both Galu - are femme fatales, but can they endure this hardship?

BTW, since Russell Hs ambition is to weaken Foa Foa, I have to believe none of the above are evicted in Ep 1. In fact, I see the possibility that 2 Galu's are evacuated - especially if Foa Foa keeps fire - and that's what keeps the tribes more even ... and thwarts RHs plans to some extent.

My speculations - if one from each tribe .... Mike and Kelly. If two Galus - Russell S. and Kelly.

09-11-09, 08:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
By episode #4 every tribe, even Ravu, had either won or found a way to make fire. So, Jeff saying "they didn't have fire" must mean they couldn't protect it from the deluge and couldn't find dry wood afterwards to rebuild it. I think it applies to both tribes.

PS: I don't see Russell S. reacting like Kathy from S16.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

09-11-09, 08:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
I agree if it is that late in the game it is a problem with maintaining or re-starting a fire. If they didn't find a way to keep some kindling and at least a little wood dry it can be really hard to get a fire going if it rained too hard for too long.

09-11-09, 11:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sol Click to send private message to sol Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
I'm in total agreement that both tribes had fire ... probably in Ep 1 since we know Foa Foa has it, and can speculate that Galu wins IC therefore they will have fire ... and water ... too.

The deluge ... 9 inches in one rainfall? ... wow, that's a lot of rain ... that makes it virtually impossible to keep a fire going, and to find dry wood.

I just threw out a couple names as speculation as to who it might be. I think it will be a lot easier to spec after Ep. 1 and we get an idea who might find the Survivor experience overwhelming to some degree.

But I will go out on the limb and spec that Shambo is the first Galu voted off.

Georjanna 1316 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-11-09, 11:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Georjanna Click to send private message to Georjanna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
PS: I don't see Russell S. reacting like Kathy from S16.

I don't either. But, I think that Dave might.

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

09-11-09, 12:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
Question, would they have a double boot prior to Ep 5? Seem to remember Ep 5 was the double boot in Palau, which also whittled down to 18 people at the start.

Since they're not axing anyone immediately like Wanda and Jonathan I wouldn't be surprised if there is a double boot as early as Episode 3.

A tribe glows in Brooklyn

09-14-09, 05:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
Thanks much for carrying this along ...

I was certainly thinking that existing fire would go out and be hard to rekindle, and that's how I read what Jeff said. I think he is talking about a sequence.
1) It was hot, the first nine days, and they are suffering from that.
2) and then it rained. (Day 10.)
3) And it rained for about a week. (Day 10-16) (but not as hard as Day 10).
4) They didn't have fire. (because Day 10 would obliterate the fire, and the subsequent days kept everything damp)
5) And they couldn't get water. (because they couldn't boil it.)
6) It was hard. It was definitely hard. (that's OK Jeff, it happens to every guy, no need to be in denial.)

According to TDT's model from prior seasons with larger cast, this should play out Ep 4-6. Both evacuations don't need to be at the end of the week, but I think at least one would be near the end because Jeff talks about the whole experience, the wet week without fire and water, as an ass kicker.

If Russell is already sabotaging his tribe's fire and food supply BEFORE the rain, which looks likely, FoaFoa (possibly including a swap) could be in real trouble, ready to break.

I can't begin to speculate who it will be because we don't know if the earliest boots will be the weak players, or from what tribe, in which case they are gone before it happens, or 2-3 of them are.

What I do notice is that the bad period is just pre-merge. Typically that's a period where alliances plan to take out someone strong who's been useful getting to the merge but would be a threat after. Having two evacuations could mess up plans if there is no TC, and then there's a merge. Also, if they're suffering that much, it's no time to take out the best providers, or the best challenge players, unless you're real sure the merge is imminent. (shouldn't be that confident, as could be late merge.)

What I'm getting at is that someone like Jaison could get through when that wasn't the plan of the people who are trying to control the game.

09-14-09, 05:51 AM (EST)
10. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
PS. I edited a graph into my original post so you can see how much more rain fell in that one 24 hour period.

Where I live, near Hilo, we get rain storms like that a few times a year, sometimes I've even seen 30 inches in a day or two. The tropical rain comes down so hard, it will soak you in seconds, with big fat hard-hitting drops. Once you are wet, you get cold real fast. Of course I have a house to go in and take a hot shower. I would not want to be in some makeshift shelter.

I have a tin roof and it's crazy how loud it gets when it's raining like that. You can't hear anything else.

Caveat: because rainfall can vary tremendously from one local area of an island to another, this is hardly exact for the tribal camps. They only measure at the Faleolo Airport, which is not on the south coast. OTOH, it's not too far away from the production, and is very near production HQ.

09-14-09, 11:49 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
The swap is still a mystery to me ... how will it happen?

Will a tribe select someone to come over for a couple days? Will a tribe send someone over for a couple days? Is it the winning tribe that chooses who goes where? Or the losing tribe?

In any event there will be visitors from the other tribe - looking for the II, and so the Galu that is sent to Foa Foa can also be weakened by a lack of food at Foa Foa, and that can be the reason for a medi-vac.

09-14-09, 08:06 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
oh, I didn't mean to say there is a swap, and if there is we don't know the time or the mechanism.

I mentioned the possibility because it's easy to think of FoaFoa as consisting of these original ten people, but there could be a swap that would but some Galu's in the mix, or Russell could end up on Galu after sabotaging FoaFoa. We really don't know who will be on what tribe by Ep 5. There may be no swap, as in Tocantins.

09-14-09, 08:43 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
LAST EDITED ON 09-14-09 AT 08:46 PM (EST)

It seems you are talking of 2 different things, a tribe shuffle and the kidnapping that replaces Exile Island.

The player kidnapped could feel even more isolated so that could make them more fragile. However, if they know how long they are staying, get a clue to the HII and escape Tribal Council as speculated that could be enough of a moral boost to make it through.

09-14-09, 10:08 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
Are you replying to Sol, michel? Not sure.
To me the kidnapping sounds much like the China twist, with an added twist that you must find the HII while at the other camp, instead of getting a clue you can share and finding the idol back at your own camp.

For purposes of this topic, I was just trying to focus on who might be most vulnerable to the loss of water. We see that Russell is starting off emptying canteens on FoaFoa, not knowing there's a water crisis in the pipeline. So there is some chance that FoaFoa is worse off, less hydrated, but that is all spec.

As for the swap, I am curious as to whether SEG will stand by and let Russell deprive one set of players of food and water and watch it play out, or whether they'll shake things up with a swap, that's all. The rainy episode is right around the time they traditionally do a swap.

09-14-09, 11:17 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
Sorry, I should have made it clearer by saying that I felt Sol was confusing your mention of a tribal shuffle with the kidnapping.

I agree that a possible shuffle makes it harder to predict who will feel the hardship the most. The swap played a big role in Kathy quitting because she lost Tracy's support.

I don't think that being kidnapped would cause that much distress. But that also is only speculation and could change if the same player gets kidnapped time after time.

09-14-09, 10:13 PM (EST)
15. "somewhat unrelated calendar note"
CBS Fantasy game notes that it will add Ponderosa questions around Nov 12, based on the prior week's Ponderosa clip. That puts Ep 9 as the week the first juror goes out. Just something to be aware of.

09-14-09, 10:19 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/09/14/jeff-probst-survivor-samoa/

In Jeff's EW interview, he makes it clear that Heat + rain leads to a serious OMG DEHYDRATION crisis. I take him to be saying the medi-vacs will be due to severe dehydration.

Those who watched S3 will recall Lindsay collapsing in dehydration agony, but that she was put back in the game after they removed her and did IV hydration. For some reason these people won't come back.

Of course it could be that when they go out there's no water for anyone and they can't be put back into the situation. With Lindsay, she had not been watching her fluid intake and had over-exerted. There was water in camp, nasty water, but available.

09-15-09, 00:15 AM (EST)
18. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
Okay .. I'm back.

Sorry, I used the word swap to be the exchange of castaways that replaces Exile Island, not the permanent placement on the other tribe. I knew what I was talking about but I didn't make it clear to you what I was talking about. (Damn, I wish you could just read my mind .... NO, wait a minute, that might not be such a good idea either). What I wanted to say is that a person sent from Galu to Foa Foa may find the conditions at Foa Foa - no water and barely any food - so bad it could result in the weakening of the Galu member to the extent they are medi-vaced. My speculation is that had they not spent a couple days at Foa Foa they may not have weakened to that extent.

It's an unlikely situation that a couple days could make that much difference, but I was considering the possibility rather than the probability.

On another note - and this really is straying from the original intent of this thread - but that clip of JP on EW with Dalton Ross is fascinating about the person being kicked out of a challenge ... and risking getting kicked out of the game. Since the challenges are very physical, it would be no surprise that someone could lose their temper beyond acceptable behavior. Could this be Ben going off like a bottle rocket?

09-15-09, 05:16 AM (EST)
19. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
glad you brought it up. Ben was my first thought. In the interview, JP says it happened and was an instant "you're out" - a no-brainer, even though he has called some 500 challenges and never called anyone out before.

If JP was right about Ben, and he does have Ben's psych profile no doubt, then it would fit. Luckily for JP the Survivors aren't out there with $4000 mic paks and there's no jacuzzi.

09-15-09, 06:20 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
LAST EDITED ON 09-15-09 AT 06:21 PM (EST)

They'll be receiving 10 INCHES of rain in a day and then suffer from dehydration???? No one thinks of putting containers outside to collect that water? We could have a bunch of dumber than average survivors this year.

About Lindsey being given IV, Lex also received treatment towards the end of S3 but it wasn't aired. I think Burnett's thinking on that has changed over the years. Before Osten, they didn't want anyone to quit because it simply wasn't acceptable that someone would dare refuse to play THEIR game. Today, I think they enjoy seeing people quit. Hearing Jerry say that Tocantins was tougher than Afghanistan must have given the crew immense pleasure.

09-15-09, 07:42 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
Yes, I had heard that about Lex. I didn't mention him because I thought (could be wrong) that he had dysentery as well, whereas Lindsay was pure dehydration.

I personally don't like the extremes they put people through. I liked that the first two seasons and in Thailand (forget S4 and the Amazon), they gave them a potable water source. They had to go get the water, but it was safe. The African spring water was nasty and I'm not sure boiling was enough.

I remember how with All Stars they started off making it super tough because they had played before, giving them water that had to be boiled and not giving them fire, and I didn't like it.

It's one thing to make people go hungry and without comforts, but another to put their lifelong health at risk for a TV game.

09-29-09, 10:23 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
I want to bump this to say it's possible that the data for the 9.8 inch rain is an error on the weather sites. I have not found any info on a BIG rain, and apparently it could be an input typo. I found it on more than one good site, but bad data at the source could get copied.

However, the wet period is still the same general period, just may not be so dramatic. Getting an inch of rain with a crappy shelter roof can't be fun.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

10-01-09, 04:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
thanks for this analysis...OFG what made you say Yasmin and Mike way up in the first post... did Jiffy hint at this?

10-01-09, 05:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
In his first cast assessment Probst said he didn't know if Yasmin would take to the environment. So some people started speculating her as one of the evacs. I kind of don't think it's going to be her.

goldenmike4393 303 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

10-01-09, 05:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail goldenmike4393 Click to send private message to goldenmike4393 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
This is making it look as if Marisa was a bad boot.

Foo Foo is staying dry with the palms Marisa wove (and taught the others).

10-01-09, 06:10 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
I now think they will get 1/2 inch to 1 inch more likely, for about seven days starting June 20-21, although there will be breaks. Also keep in mind there's no reporting from their part of the island, only from the airport.

Press photos for IC/TC day of Ep 3 is June 18th, so we will either see rain at the end of Ep 4 or in Ep 5, depending on how many days per episode.

I agree with dabo (in the other topic) that as we've had one dehydration evac (Mike), the next could be infection, or a combination. Hard to tell with Jeff. A serious infection would not surprise me at all.

Jeff is full of BS when he says it was 115 every day. Jeff, it was 90 at the absolute top, BUT he is right that at 80-100% constant humidity, it does feel unbearable. By the way, it is midwinter there (although they are very near the Equator), so it is not the hottest most humid time of year. I bet it was miserable though.

Re collecting rain water, with under an inch a day that is almost nothing in pots. If they were clever they could maybe lay out banana leaves and collect rain water, but they don't seem that bright. Still incredulous that Erik slaughtered a fruiting papaya tree and they then tried to plant it in the sand. Mike of Foa Foa knew the most about life in the islands, and he's gone now.

Also, they should be able to get by on coconuts, if they can get the liquid, as well as papayas being juicy, but they're not the brightest this season when it comes to nature. If Foa Foa loses Ben they'll likely miss his "hillbilly" skills.

10-09-09, 04:28 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
So the rainy week is here. The ten inch rain must have been a data error, but it doesn't take ten inches to do these guys in.

As an update, last episode was three days but they showed nothing of Day 10, the middle day. Ep 5 begins with Day 12, which is June 22nd.

There was a promo for Ep 4 where Jaison is complaining about freezing. I think that was an Ep 5 scene they edited in, because in the new promo we see what I think is the same scene highlighted.

In the Ep 4 promo, they made it look like the cold was leading to Jaison's whiny walk on the beach with Russell, but as we saw he said it was the TC drama with Ben that had worn him down.

I wonder if they were building a story arc in advance. Jaison's spirit crushed by the elements. At this point I would not be surprised if he asks to be voted out sometime before the merge.

SquidProQuo 2526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

10-09-09, 05:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SquidProQuo Click to send private message to SquidProQuo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
I sure hope Jaison doesn't give up -- that would be a total let-down if he asks to be voted out, especially after the hero treatment last week. On the bright side, he sure seems pumped up in the Insider cliips after the win. But if they lose again next week, you may be right.

Couple other interesting things related to the weather in the Insider clips:

- Ashley says they haven't had water for 3 days...this quote was on the day that FaoFao won IC, which I guess was Day 11. So this foreshadows the dehydration. Why wouldn't they have water for that long already? (Could it be because Ben is gone and no one else does the work??)

- Re the cold: Shambo the Chicken Whisperer says something about trying to keep the chickens warm since it's so cold outside...so the temp is obviously playing a big role too.

CTgirl 8013 desperate attention whore postings

10-09-09, 06:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
Just like Ben predicted, most likely NO ONE knows how to start a fire with flint at FF. No fire = no water.

LFJ 363 desperate attention whore postings

10-09-09, 06:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LFJ Click to send private message to LFJ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
Even if someone knew how to start a fire, where would they start it and what would they burn? Maybe the Samoans build shelters that vent smoke, like tepees, but, in the tropics, without waterproof shelter, there would be no way to keep a fire alive if you did get lucky enough to start one, and no dry kindling.

What I can't understand is the dehydration. Are they unable to collect and drink the rainwater? Or are they drinking it and getting ill?

10-09-09, 10:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SquidProQuo Click to send private message to SquidProQuo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
LAST EDITED ON 10-09-09 AT 11:21 PM (EST)

LFJ, I recall someone bringing up the rain water collection before. It's an excellent point and I'm not sure what the deal is....you'd think they would at least collect water off the leaves (reminds me of Cirie .

To me, though, after hearing about all the rain AND the cold, I would think that hypothermia would be the biggest potential health issue. But Jeff had specifically mentioned dehydration and so does the EW Ep. 6 RC article spoiler.

10-09-09, 10:44 PM (EST)
31. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
For once Ben was right!

And as I recall, last week it was noted that both tribes' flints were getting run down...so that could be part of the problem too.

10-09-09, 11:13 PM (EST)
33. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
Mactors, bar tenders and servers don't know how to use flint? Unbelievable ... maybe they'll go back to more fans and less recruits. Naw, that'll never happen.

10-09-09, 11:56 PM (EST)
34. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
LOL...totally agree about the recruiting. I saw in the post-game interviews that even Yasmin was recruited. She's an aspiring actress and keeps saying that she should have gone on the Amazing Race instead of Survivor.

There have to be more "real" people out there who are interesting and eager to go on Survivor (and would not wear high heels).

10-10-09, 04:24 PM (EST)
35. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
>>>Even if someone knew how to start a fire, where would they start it and what would they burn? ... in the tropics, without waterproof shelter, there would be no way to keep a fire alive if you did get lucky enough to start one, and no dry kindling.

Good point, LFJ Exactly.

I live in a rain forest area not so different from Samoa. I'm never worried about a wildfire, because all this wet stuff does not burn. There may not be hardwood lying around, and if so, they don't know what it is. There is no oak, no wood full of pitch and resin like fir and pine or mesquite, such as people on the mainland commonly use as firewood. Banana stalks won't burn.

Anyway, say they have good wood, it has to be kept dry or it won't burn. Ben was doing that. He was gathering wood in advance and protecting it somehow so it would stay dry. If there's no sun, and it's raining, there's no dry wood to collect and the wood will not dry.

>>>Maybe the Samoans build shelters that vent smoke, like tepees

The Samoans have modern construction like us, but traditionally they live in open-walled thatched roof "fale" and visiting tourists often stay in these for wonderful vacations, without being cold. A properly constructed thatched roof doesn't leak.

The Samoans do not need fire for heat. It's 13 degrees from the equator. Houses don't have heating systems of any kind, not at sea level. I live at 19 degrees above the equator, and I don't ever need heat. Cold is wanting to wear long pants and a something more than a T-shirt - but I can stay dry.

The minimum temps are about 70 degrees, which is pleasant if dry. The maximum temps that month were about 90 degrees (115-120 is ridiculous. It never gets that hot there. It's an island and the breezes from the ocean don't allow that kind of heat to build up.

However, it is cold if you're soaking wet and can't get dry, which they can't if they don't have a dry sunny day.

The Polynesian culture traditionally roasts feasts in buried ovens, called umu or imu. The feast is put in a dug out hole and it is all wrapped in big non-poisonous leaves like banana leaves, or lau (ti plants). Then it is covered and allowed to slow cook for a day. (If you go to an authentic lu`au in Hawai'i they will cook the food that way.)

Cooking food on a campfire isn't the traditional way of outdoor cooking and as we see it's not the best for the climate. (Of course they do have BBQ's now.)

>>>What I can't understand is the dehydration. Are they unable to collect and drink the rainwater?

It's probably not that much rain. A whole day's worth of rain gives you one inch in your pot. Maybe if they created a leaf collection system. Banana leaves don't normally collect water because they grow fairly vertically. Leaves lying on the ground would soon be full of bugs. Sure they can get enough to roll some water drops into their mouth, but not canteens full.

An adult in the tropics should drink two liters of water a day, and if you add sports to that, quite a bit more. I bet their electrolyte balance gets really messed up. They should try to eat bananas for the potassium. Papayas have a high fluid content. Coconut milk is good too.

This cast isn't very savvy about the outdoors. I imagine when we see S20 they will be more on top of things. In Micronesia the Faves had no problems.

10-10-09, 05:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LFJ Click to send private message to LFJ Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
Good and informative post OFG. Thanks.

I guess I don't have a good grip on what the rainfall was, but from the pictures of the challenges, it looks substantial - at least enough for some of the Survivors (I use the term loosely) to stay partially hydrated. Human beings are not able to live for more than a few days without any water. Perhaps the dehydration issue was a bit more complicated for some than others? Or maybe it is being exaggerated?

10-10-09, 07:31 PM (EST)
37. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
I've tried to say this twice, and I'll give it one more shot.
An inch of rain can feel like a lot of rain. It can come down hard. It can soak everything. But it's still only an inch in the bottom of a collection device, provided they have a clean dedicated pot that is set out to get maximum rain.

If they had a roof gutter system filling into a barrel that much rain could fill the barrel, but otherwise it won't make enough to fill even one canteen in 24 hours and each person should have at least substantially more than one canteen per day.

When people are perspiring heavily, as happens in humid heat and then compounded by these challenges. they lose fluids AND mineral salts, and the body systems stop functionally correctly. I will post some information below ... after I go get myself some water to drink!

10-10-09, 07:59 PM (EST)
39. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
"I've tried to say this twice, and I'll give it one more shot."

I think the question went more like this; How could they not use the tools available to funnel water into containers for drinking? It never occurred to me that they might stand with their heads tilted up and try to catch the rain on their tongues like a bunch of little kids playing outside in an afternoon rainstorm. Some of Galu's drenched "luxury items" probably held enough fluid to hydrate a grown man.

"When people are perspiring heavily, as happens in humid heat and then compounded by these challenges. they lose fluids AND mineral salts, and the body systems stop functionally correctly. I will post some information below ..."

One of the biggest challenges of my work is re-hydrating acutely ill patients in a Psych Unit of a hospital where IV's are not well tolerated. I understand electrolyte imbalances and the impact on the different physiological systems... But again, thank you for the 2nd shot.

10-13-09, 05:22 AM (EST)
44. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
LAST EDITED ON 10-13-09 AT 05:31 AM (EST)

hey, sorry I didn't see this comment, LFJ. There have been other people questioning if dehydration could be that serious.

Re collection, the weather data says a bit over an inch in 24 hours. Granted the local rain may be more than at the Faleolo airport, quite possible.

I don't see how they could collect 4-5 liters per person per day with what they have as resources, out of an inch of rain.

I live in a similar climate. We got rain exactly like that last night. It can seem like a lot but then It's a couple inches in my "rain gauge bucket" that I set out. People here where I live, in some areas, have only catchment water from off the roof. The thing is they have the whole roof area to collect rain, from there into gutters, from the gutters into a tank.

Without some way to collect water off a larger area, this kind of intense rain does not provide that much. Also, the rain tends to come and go, and come down hardest at night. Since it is pitch black there at night they can't really work on collecting during that time. They are huddling in the shelter.

Also, I personally would not want to drink any water that doesn't come direct into my mouth from the sky. (Catchment water needs to be treated to be safe.) I grow bananas on my property, and there are so many bugs, and there are rats living in them, excreting, as rats tend to do. And there are slugs. Maybe it seems like banana leaves are nice and clean, but really they aren't.

We have a lovely disease here in Hawai'i called by common name, rat lungworm. The rats host a parasite and excrete it. Snails and slugs eat the rat excrement, and the slime they leave can infect a human host. People can get worms hatching and chewing tunnels in their brain. For a really bad case it's most likely the person eats some of the slug by accident, like in a salad. There are numerous people here suffering from this.

However, in their situation, I would be more concerned about getting lepto.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/leptospirosis_g.htm

Point being, they could end up sick by drinking collected rainwater that had come off leaves and through the trees, unless they could boil it. They may or may not know that, depending on what their survival training involved pre-game. As they have all the water they need from some source production has given them, the stumbling block is fire and getting enough water boiled, not dropping the ball around camp, keeping up the supply, drinking a canteen full and refilling canteens methodically.

That was the reason Marisa and Ben fought, per Ben. She didn't think the water boiling process needed to be rushed, and he said in exit interview that their canteens didn't get filled before the IC, and they were weak.

10-10-09, 07:58 PM (EST)
38. "Dehydration"
http://www.symptomsofdehydration.com

Note that each person should have two litres of water just to complete one of these physical challenges, minimum, in addition to the 2-4 litres a day needed for managing in the tropical climate. Also, and this is something I've been told, not the info here, swimming in salt water dehydrates the body. The salt pulls fluids out through the skin.

Prevention of Dehydration

The average person loses between two and three litres of water a day through the breath, sweat, and urine. This number can increase or decrease based on the types of activities that a person engages in. Heavy exercise can cause a body to loose more than 2 litres an hour! To prevent dehydration you simply need to replenish the liquids that are lost throughout the day. Many resources and sites will tell you to drink 8 glases of water a day, or give you a set number of litres to drink but the honest truth is that every BODY is different and only you will know how much your BODY needs.

Only YOU can know how much water YOU need to be at your best. Thats right, WATER. Not soda, not juice, not sugar-drinks. Pay attention to your fluid loss and take special care to replenish it as it is being lost. By the time you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated - you want to avoid becoming thirsty in the first place. Pay attention to the color of your urine, dark urine is usually an indicator that you are dehydrated. Drink more water.

Symptoms of dehydration usually begin with thirst and progress to more alarming manifestations as the need for water becomes more dire. The initial signs and symptoms of mild dehydration in adults appear when the body has lost about 2% of it's total fluid. These mild dehydration symptoms are often (but not limited to):

Thirst
Loss of Appetite
Dry Skin
Skin Flushing
Dark Colored Urine
Dry Mouth
Fatique or Weakness
Chills
Head Rushes

If the dehydration is allowed to continue unabated, when the total fluid loss reaches 5% the following effects of dehydration are normally experienced:

Increased heart rate
Increased respiration
Decreased sweating
Decreased urination
Increased body temperature
Extreme fatigue
Muscle cramps
Headaches
Nausea
Tingling of the limbs

When the body reaches 10% fluid loss emergency help is needed IMMEDIATELY! 10% fluid loss and above is often fatal!

Symptoms of severe dehydration include:
Muscle spasms
Vomiting
Racing pulse
Shriveled skin
Dim vision
Painful urination
Confusion
Difficulty breathing
Seizures
Chest and Abdominal pain
Unconciousness

Treatment for Dehydration

If dehydration is the removal of water from an object, then the treatment of dehydration to reverse it's effects would logically be rehydration.

When a person becomes dehydrated they have also lost electrolytes so it is very important to replenish them along the water. The type of electrolytes needed for rehydration are sodium and potassium salts usually found in sports drinks like Gatorade and pediatric formulas like Pedialite. Electrolytes are needed for electro-chemical reactions within cells. A lack of electrolytes in the body can interfere with the chemical reactions needed for healthy cell operation and is known as water intoxication. This can become a serious condition and has lead to death in extreme cases.

If a person is showing minor symptoms give them plenty of water and let them drink it very slowly, in small sips. Electrolytes are also important to replace. Electrolytes can be readily had from Gatorade or Pedialite. They are also found in salty foods but eating any food while dehydrated will only dehydrate the body more since fluids are required for digestion. If Gatorade or Pedialite are not available, slowly replenish the bodies liquids with water and follow that up after symptoms have subsided with a small salty snack or a very light meal.

If a person is showing some of the more severe symptoms of dehydration as listed above, call an ambulance immediately. He or she may be past the point where ingestion of the proper fluids will help; get them medical attention immediately.

NedraSue 109 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-19-09, 01:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NedraSue Click to send private message to NedraSue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
48. "RE: Dehydration"

I'm sorry for asking apparently, a stupid question...I knew this thery of Severe Dehyration...I was only asking, if we know if he passes out, falls and hits his head, has a seziure? Which of these conditions actually happen.

Thanks for the bump.

10-19-09, 04:37 PM (EST)
49. "RE: Dehydration"
We won't know until we see the show, but Jeff is the one who initially blamed dehydration for both evacuations. Obviously it can't help the situation to hit your head and fall down, but something made him fall.

He is not seizing lying there, not moving. Also they don't have anything in his mouth to keep him from biting his tongue. But dehydration can cause both seizures and loss of consciousness.

10-11-09, 06:53 PM (EST)
40. "The Flint Problem"
Noticed this in this week's Insider Clips -- ties in with the discussion a few posts above:

Mick struggles with making fire using a worn-down flint:

"The problem is, we have plenty of magnesium left, but the flint is flush with the edge of the magnesium. (shows a closeup of the flint) See, there really isn't much contact with the knife and the magnesium. There's a few spots where it still sticks up over the edge, but it's otherwise semi-worn down. We're getting pretty close to not having a lot of flint left. It's a little nerve-wracking. I haven't started this fire too many times, and my technique is still...I'm honing my technique, so to speak. This is not as easy as it looks, by any means. Most of our stuff is still semi-damp, from last night. Even the stuff we hid hasn't completely dried. It's important to do this so I can get this lit with as little effort with using this as possible, because this thing's not gonna last forever."

Flowerpower 7262 desperate attention whore postings

10-11-09, 08:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
41. "RE: The Flint Problem"
I just wanted to question whether or not we have not already seen the dehydrated victim, Mike. I think folks are minimizing what happened to him. To me, that was indeed the scariest medivac in survivor history, maybe with the burned Mike Skupin a second. Skupin wasn't in danger of dying, but Mike could have.

His blood pressure was so low, as he was severely dehydrated. And, as Mick noted, the fact is that with rest it remained low, could have indeed led to a heart attack and death. Mike, imo, was the scariest medivac.

Won't Russell S' medivac be related to a challenge injury? Oh, but isn't there a rumor that Jiffy calls off the challenge completely? I think I may be getting the spoilers on these confused....what exactly are they?

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

10-11-09, 08:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
42. "RE: The Flint Problem"
Allegedly: RusSwell will be injured in Episode 6's Roll With It Reward Challenge. Fugga Fugga will supposedly be in the lead at the time of the injury and the Reward Challenge will be called off. Also, both tribes are alleged to head to Tribal Council to discuss RusSwell's evacuation and nobody will be voted out........

10-11-09, 09:15 PM (EST)
43. "RE: The Flint Problem"
FloPo, here's the link to the "Roll With It"/Future Challenge Thread that will give you more info: http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID2/7265.shtml

There's an EW article where they preview a future challenge for Ep. 6, and they say that one of the players is so dehydrated that they have to stop the challenge and they never finish it.

Flowerpower 7262 desperate attention whore postings

10-13-09, 07:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
45. "RE: The Flint Problem"
THANKS vince and Squid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10-13-09, 10:52 PM (EST)
46. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
Some Insider clips from Ep 4, thanks to James Barber!
FoaFoa members reveal more about their camp situation. None of the Galu Insider clips discussed fire or water problems.

Defeating Galu

Ashley boasts about breaking Galu's winning streak

"I really think us winning today is a turning point, completely. This showed us we can do it, especially since we haven't had any water in 3 days, hardly any food, hardly any sleep.

The Flint Problem

Mick struggles with making fire using a worn-down flint

"The problem is, we have plenty of magnesium left, but the flint is flush with the edge of the magnesium. (shows a closeup of the flint) See, there really isn't much contact with the knife and the magnesium. There's a few spots where it still sticks up over the edge, but it's otherwise semi-worn down. We're getting pretty close to not having a lot of flint left. It's a little nerve-wracking. I haven't started this fire too many times, and my technique is still...I'm honing my technique, so to speak. This is not as easy as it looks, by any means. Most of our stuff is still semi-damp, from last night. Even the stuff we hid hasn't completely dried. It's important to do this so I can get this lit with as little effort with using this as possible, because this thing's not gonna last forever."

Foa Foa's Diet

Liz shares Foa Foa's creative cuisine

"Yesterday, we ate our usual diet of bananas, plantains, some crabs, and papaya. Late at night we actually had decided to do something different with coconut. We're all about 101 different ways to make coconut, or eat it. We decided to fry it. What ended up happening was we took the coconut meat, put it into our put, and it ended up smelling and tasting like popcorn, which is great. It's something totally different. We're trying to do the same with plantains, if we can get our fire going. We're hoping for french fries. It's what's keeping us going at this moment. (laughs)"
(cut)
"On one of our foraging trips, Jaison, Russell and I had encountered a different kind of fruit tree. They had very low-hanging fruit. When we got back to camp it turned out it was cacao, which is the fruit that chocolate is made out of. The chocolate is taken from the nuts, apparently, and processed."
(cut)
"The pulp inside the cacao fruit, which is the only part we could eat, tasted like candy, tasted like gummy bears. It was so good, it lifted our spirits, because it was something different in our diet. While it probably wasn't that nutritionally valuable, it was different enough and very tasty that it brought a smile to everyone."

They are already dehydrated, just not realizing it, if they haven't had water in 3 days. (I doubt they've had zero water)

It looks like Ben's predictions are coming true. No water, fire is iffy. My question, if they have fire to fry coconut, why aren't they stocking up on water?

10-16-09, 06:29 PM (EST)
47. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
Bump, because of question about what's causing Russell's evacuation.
See Probst's earlier quote and read the effects of severe dehydration.

10-20-09, 03:30 AM (EST)
50. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
A comment in response to what emydi said in the vidcap topic:

The producers are going too far. Someone WILL die or be harmed for life if they keep this up. I don't want to watch this extreme pushing of the envelope.

At the beginning of the franchise the Survivors got drinking water. They had to go get it, transport it, but they didn't need fire. Then with S3 they upped the sadism and made them drink that nasty elephant dung water -- and Lex got dysentery and who knows what other parasites they got. But in Africa they always had fire.

In Thailand they had to row far to get water, but not boil it, remember?

Then for ASS they decided All Stars could be tougher and they wouldn't give them fire (they had to "earn" fire in a challenge, and the loser didn't get it), or drinkable water, and they let them get really dehydrated. I remember that it was the cruelest beginning to date. It rained a ton too.

At the same time, the challenges have progressed to be more and more extreme and physical. There used to be quizzes and slingshots and if they were blindfolded it was just stumbling around looking for items. I liked the low key challenges. People who are SURVIVING like Castaways would never start an over the top athletic competition. It really doesn't fit with the concept. And I'm not entertained by mud wrestling - appealing to lowest common denominator in viewers.

Now it's so the older people with life experience can't make it, and there are too many mactors and the oldsters get evacuated or booted. The older players were interesting. The clash between generations was entertaining when there was a balance of sorts.

That aside, if they can't cast people who are capable of learning how to provide, then they should at least get drinkable water, and they should keep a close eye on the infections or one of these days they'll lose someone. They have infections now that can kill someone in under 24 hours, that don't respond to most antibiotics, and the way they have these people exposing themselves to risk is just not smart.

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

10-22-09, 10:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
51. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
OFG, wow! You really put a lot of work into this information!
My bad for not reading this thread before asking about dehydration elsewhere.

I agree that the producers need to start providing water - and not making the challenges so physical.
Tho I didn't see the first 3 or 4 seasons originally (I did later buy season 1) so I can't compare all the seasons, I agree that the challenges are becoming more athletic and less about regular survivor.

Thanks muchly for all your information!

Slicey took out the wrinkles '08

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

10-22-09, 11:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
52. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
I was thinking about this again and do you realize that TPTB at Survivor provide condoms to the contestants but not drinking water....

I think I may ask Jiffy something about supplying drinking water after his blog comes out tomorrow on EW

10-22-09, 11:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
53. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
LOL
& you know there are probably some that if they had to choose between condoms & water?????

10-22-09, 12:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail goldenmike4393 Click to send private message to goldenmike4393 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
54. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
LAST EDITED ON 10-22-09 AT 12:50 PM (EST)

I guess they could send them to Survival Boot Camp (like military). I read about soldiers like Scott O'Grady surviving a week buried behind enemy lines coming out at night to collect water. But he wasn't exerting himself either...

Anyway, what did happen to the watering holes formerly provided to players?

10-22-09, 12:33 PM (EST)
55. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
I always wondered why they stopped having the tribal waterholes. It was kind of big deal in the early installments. They'd get a map of some sort and have to go look for it, which was usually shown as a segment of the first episode.

10-22-09, 12:59 PM (EST)
56. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
I am ready to bet that TPTB will provide water in the future after reading your post. GREAT reminder! You should be on production STAFF!

CTgirl 8013 desperate attention whore postings

10-22-09, 01:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
57. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
I am in 100% agreement with you OFG. Survivor is set up as a social game and that's what TPTB focus on first so let's dial back the dehydration and the superman challenges and add some balance back into the game.

What's really disappointing to me this season is that they are in Samoa - on the beach - and they've only had one water challenge. I love the water challenges! And why cast a water polo player if we can't see him do his thing! The challenges this year could have been played in any location.

10-22-09, 08:16 PM (EST)
58. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
Great points, everyone! I appreciate the response.

CT, I agree, I was looking forward to water challenges! I don't like the visuals of the grimy challenges. I like to see the gorgeous blue water.

A last note on the island weather. The rough ocean is, I think, due to a strong south swell along with the rain storm. They are camping on a south shore. In Hawai'i, at least, in the summer we get high surf on south shores, which makes Waikiki surfable. In winter we get northwest swells, which makes Oahu's north shore the surfing capital.

The reason for the swells is the southern hemisphere has winter in our summer, and there are big storms down near Antarctica that send waves across the ocean. In our winter the storms come from the north.

This is actually their dry season. The wet season is Dec-March, during their summer. The whole Pacific, north and south, shares the same wet season.

Dec-March is also when they get their cyclonic tropical storms, south of the equator. In the southern hemisphere they are called cyclones (not hurricanes or typhoons). Anyway, that is not what's going on. This is just some weather system that's blowing up from the south in the typically dry months.

On the north shore of the island the water conditions might be perfectly calm.

10-23-09, 03:04 AM (EST)
59. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
LAST EDITED ON 10-23-09 AT 03:16 AM (EST)

One last thing:
Insider clip of Mick the doc explaining in simple terms what the deal was with Russ.
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor/video/?pid=6NrvDA2SVBw8764MRoPCZm1hMiyis7kg

As for the rain, I had originally said:
>>>Allow the situation to build, perhaps, to Ep 5, or Day 16.
That was Day 15.

The last day I had rain stats was June 26th or day 16, so there may or may not be rain in Ep 7. The rest of the season should be hot and reasonably dry. Island weather being localized, I can't know whether they had rain in the camps that didn't occur at the airport.

All in all, the timing was pretty good. Someone on weather duty made a typo on that ten inch rain, but seeing how they dealt with the rain they got, just as well.

Not one person out there talking about thirst or trying to get water. I wonder if no one did or the producers chose not to show that dilemma. Jeff said it happened. Ashley said on the Insider, three days without water. Mick blamed dehydration, and Russell H said he was, to the medics.

But not a word about thirst on the show. Liability concerns?
I do understand that people who are dehydrated may even lose the sense of being thirsty, and the symptoms feel different. You don't necessarily know what is wrong with you when you're that fluid deprived.

10-23-09, 05:35 AM (EST)
60. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
From the looks of things, they could have literally stood, or in some cases, sat and let the rainwater spill into their mouths from the draining, overhead palm fronds.

No one appeared dehydrated, at least not enough to have syncopal episodes like Russ had. Before the body will drain the brain of enough blood to cause it to lose the sensation of thirst, other, vsible things will happen - like dry cracked lips, hallucinations and lethargy. None of these people had any obvious signs of debilitating dehydration. They could all think and speak, some of them, like Eric, too much.

And, FWIW, the "survivors" perform in challenges - yes, but they perform in sprints, not 24/7. As we have seen with the "Club Med" members, some of them seem to do absolutely nothing.

10-23-09, 06:54 AM (EST)
61. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
hey, LFJ,
I agree about the others. They seemed OK. Mick said it was purely dehydration plus exertion for Russell. (in the clip I linked).

I live in a climate very similar to Samoa, very high humidity and hot. (In spite of all of the talk about freezing, it is still hot there. They are just cold because they're wet.) The climate is like a sauna. You lose a lot of water perspiring, and the slightest effort brings on more perspiration than in a non tropical climate.

I have all the water I want but I still find myself not getting enough water in me. I have had both dizziness and muscle cramps and was wondering what the heck was up, not in any way feeling thirsty. Then someone reminded me those could be symptoms of dehydration. I started pumping up the water, and the muscle cramps and dizziness went away.

I learned that drinking when I am thirsty won't do the job. Also I have had syncopal episodes here, while being far from having dry cracked lips (but then I have a Chapstick addiction). Maybe it was the electrolyte loss, I don't know. There was no underlying condition. I was fine once they stuck an IV in me for awhile.

Another element is swimming in the ocean. Salt water actually pulls water out of the body (which you probably know, with your background). I guess that's one reason it's a good detox. But it increases their need for fluids.

I think Russell S had been depriving himself because of his obsession with the role of chief. It was not surprising that he was the one that went down.

10-23-09, 09:25 AM (EST)
62. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
So RussHell and Jaison sitting in the ocean to try to get warm was really not a good idea, huh.

If (yea, the big what if) RusSwell had chosen to sit the challenge out....... seems like the other guys were trying to get him to, but he wouldn't.

10-25-09, 02:20 PM (EST)
63. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
One more thing I wanted to add to this discussion that I noticed in several post-game interviews:

A couple people (including RussSwell) have noted that while they were able to collect rain water, some were concerned about possible bacteria contamination when it runs off trees, leaves or the shelter. Not sure if this is a relevant concern or not, but evidently it made some people think twice about drinking the run-off rain water without boiling it first.

P.S. Bottom line on RussSwell: He admits he was so caught up in the chief/leadership thing + working so hard around camp that he didn't sleep well and take care of himself like he should. He says in the post-games interviews that he thinks it was a combination of severe dehyrdration + lack of food + sleep deprivation. It's too bad, because I do think RussSwell leaving will totally change the course of the game.

10-25-09, 07:16 PM (EST)
64. "RE: Medical evacuation tied to weather"
Squid,
thanks for adding the info!

Now that it's all shown, but edited, it comes off a bit different than how Jeff described it in his "dehydration OMG" hype. He made it sound like they had no fire, but at least some of the time they did. Indeed it's not hard to see why Russell is the one who went down.

Too bad, because he applied for the game repeatedly, and wasn't a recruit.

Re drinking water off the shelter roof and trees, yes I would have bacterial concerns. I mentioned somewhere up there how rats live in the trees. They love roofs like that as well. Rat urine carries leptospirosis, which is bad news if you get it.

Where I live in Hawai'i, people drink rainwater collected off roofs, but it's not safe to drink (in part because of the rats), unless it has purification chemicals, and better yet a UV filter system. There are all sorts of insects and microbes out there.

Even Samoa's regular tap water that serves homes needs to be boiled.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •