The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Is idol losing it's charm?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

smakitupflipit 29 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-06-04, 10:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail smakitupflipit Click to send private message to smakitupflipit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Is idol losing it's charm?"
I love this show, and I love the concept of finding a somebody in the midst of thousands of nobody's. But what is getting to me is a serious lack of talent, but even more the lousy judging we are getting this year.

1. Randy does nothing except repeat the same 3 lines over and over. If I hear "yeahh, dog" one more time I may hate him more than Paula.

2. Paula hasn't had an original thought in 3 seasons, but this year is worse. Is she watching what they wear, or how they sing?

3. Simon is usually right on the money, but this year he picked people he likes (Red, LaToya, JPL, George), and ones he dislikes (Jasmine, Diana), and barely ever deviates from his ideas. Saying nothing to Diana after she sang was awful. These kids are pouring their hearts into this, and Simon could at least respect the contestant by saying something!

4. Ryan.....tick tock...15 minutes of fame almost up

So far the weekly themes have been awful (this week), or repetitive (Motown). They need to get some good guests (Ashford and Simpson?), and they need new themes, like 90's night, 80's night, fast song nite, Blues, Anything but a drippy ballad nite, etc. I know some of these suck, but I'm having trouble keeping concentration on this show.

Top 9

1. George
2. Fantasia
3. Jennifer

4. LaToya

5. Jasmine
6. JPL
7. Diana

8 and 9 Camile and Red

The top 3 and maybe LaToya are entertaining, but the rest all seem like one-trick ponies. I hope the producers get with the contestants and help them perform better.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Is idol losing it's charm? redheaded_sweetheart 04-06-04 1
   RE: Is idol losing it's charm? smakitupflipit 04-06-04 2
       RE: Is idol losing it's charm? IslandFever 04-07-04 3
 Not losing it's charm Ricky 04-07-04 4
 RE: Is idol losing it's charm? unitabackup 04-07-04 5
 RE: Is idol losing it's charm? zombiebaby 04-07-04 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

redheaded_sweetheart 276 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-06-04, 11:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail redheaded_sweetheart Click to send private message to redheaded_sweetheart Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Is idol losing it's charm?"
I agree with most of what you're saying...a little too much hatin' on Paula though. You're absolutely right about the talent being off - heck I sound as good (to myself anyway) as some of these contestants. The singing talent was MUCH BETTER on Star Search...not just the adults either!

smakitupflipit 29 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

04-06-04, 11:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail smakitupflipit Click to send private message to smakitupflipit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Is idol losing it's charm?"
I agree about Star Search..I think Jake, Freedom or the girl who looked like Monica Lewinski would run away with the Idol first prize. The judges on Star search were worse, since Matty was Simon-lite and MC Lyte and Naomi haven't been relevant in a long time.

IslandFever 205 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

04-07-04, 00:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IslandFever Click to send private message to IslandFever Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Is idol losing it's charm?"
I can't stand that nasty judge on Star Search. I quit watching the show because of him. I used to have trouble with Simon but he has toned it down. I actually agree with him most of the time now. He said Matt was like a bad Tom Jones and I thought the same thing except not that he was bad, just that he was like Tom Jones. But what is it with Ryan and Simon and the gay jokes? Does Ryan want America to think they are both gay? I sure wonder.

Ricky 1106 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

04-07-04, 07:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ricky Click to send private message to Ricky Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Not losing it's charm"
I don't think the show is losing it's charm. What still makes it fun to watch is the unpredictable performances from the contestants. The jugdes have never really influenced how I vote, they can say (or not say) whatever they want, it doesn't matter to me.

Randy has always done the hip-hop/ghetto talk.
Paula has never said anything original.
Simon is always rude.
Ryan has always been annoying.

So maybe we do agree on those points, but that's what helps make the show charming. I wouldn't expect them to change anything. Could you imagine tuning into Will & Grace and Will deciding all of a sudden that he's straight. Or Law & Order without a murder in the beginning.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

unitabackup 175 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

04-07-04, 12:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail unitabackup Click to send private message to unitabackup Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Is idol losing it's charm?"
I think if John and JPL remain on the show much longer that nobody with a sense of reality will ever watch the show again.

1. I think Randy should be replaced although I generally like him - but it's time for someone new.

2. Paula.... I have nothing to say (just kidding). I like Paula when she has something relevant to say but because of her constant placating of some/all of the contestants means she needs to go too.

3. Simon.... I think when he was justified in refusing to say anything because it's like beating your head against the wall. How many times is he supposed to tell the same person they're terrible?

4. Ryan needs to go. NOW! But, at least he's better than the other host they had in AI1. Wow!

So....

1. Simon stays
2. Paula is placed as co-host - guest star judge (industry)
3. Goodbye to Randy - guest star judge position (music star)
4. Goodbye to Ryan - replaced with futuristic computer animated host

I thought the Elton night would stink but it was actually a pretty good challenge for them. I think it clearly showed the weakest of the singers.

But, the theme nights are kind of, um, boringish.

They should change the show to a 2 hour format and have each contestant sing a song they choose (any) and a song chosen by the judges or somebody. I think we would have more entertainment value and those of us who didn't like a certain genre of music wouldn't have the desire to jump off a bridge as we sat through an hour or 2 of garbage. It would also establish, I think, that a person is talented and can sing. Just one golden rule.

You can't repeat a song.

zombiebaby 7356 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-07-04, 07:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zombiebaby Click to send private message to zombiebaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Is idol losing it's charm?"
"You are in the pocket tonight" smack!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •