The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The beginning of the end?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

NightScribe 761 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

10-22-01, 06:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NightScribe Click to send private message to NightScribe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The beginning of the end?"
I'm sure many of you already know how Survivor is doing in the ratings. Yep, slippin' every week (a little like Tom's shorts). The following is an LA Times article regarding the ratings. My question is, does this slip indicate the beginning of the end for Survivor? I have always believed that it had a short shelf-life.
Here's the article: <http://latimes.com/entertainment/printedition/calendar/la-000083454oct20.story>

Fighting illiteracy by day
and writer's block by night

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The beginning of the end? Dakota 10-22-01 1
   RE: The beginning of the end? LadyT 10-22-01 2
   RE: The beginning of the end? ItzLisa 10-23-01 6
       RE: The beginning of the end? Dakota 10-23-01 11
 RE: The beginning of the end? kreon 10-22-01 3
   RE: The beginning of the end? Thrill Seeker 10-23-01 7
       I can't help myself. . . George Tirebiter 10-23-01 9
       RE: The beginning of the end? Dakota 10-23-01 12
 RE: The beginning of the end? SurvivorGuy 10-23-01 4
   I don't know about that. . . George Tirebiter 10-23-01 5
 RE: The beginning of the end? Expert Texpert 10-23-01 8
   RE: The beginning of the end? Drive My Car 10-23-01 10
       RE: The beginning of the end? Dakota 10-23-01 13
       RE: The beginning of the end? Expert Texpert 10-24-01 14
           RE: The beginning of the end? Dakota 10-24-01 15
 RE: The beginning of the end? Slymmer 10-27-01 16

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Dakota 5819 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-22-01, 09:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dakota Click to send private message to Dakota Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The beginning of the end?"
Probably. Although I follow it faithfully, some of the best entertainment is on the boards. It's getting too redundant for me. Standing on poles, eating bugs or worms, starving, etc. We've caught on to the backstabbing, alliance thing. I think Burnett needs to get out of his ivory tower and change the format somehow to try to renew interest. Maybe we can make some suggestions. I'll think about that.

LadyT 5567 desperate attention whore postings

10-22-01, 09:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LadyT Click to send private message to LadyT Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The beginning of the end?"
Yep I think it is. I can't even find one person of this group that i even remotely like, or even to hate. They are just boring to me.

Beatrice, get yee to Heaven, heres no place for you maids...and away to Saint Peter's for the Heavens, he shows me where the bachelors sit, and there live we as merry as the day is long -Much Ado About Nothing

ItzLisa 3350 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-23-01, 02:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ItzLisa Click to send private message to ItzLisa Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: The beginning of the end?"
>I think Burnett needs to get out of his ivory tower and change the format somehow to try to renew interest.

***Yes, I'm in agreement here. S1 was exciting because there was nothing else like it. S2 was "oh - they did that already, but what the heck! It's a new cast of people!" Now, it's getting redundant.

I'll keep watching, because, I'm ashamed to say, I love this show, no matter how much revamping it needs. But the ratings drop is BAD - for a relatively new show to get beat out by a totally boring old war-horse like "Friends" (could TV get any duller???) is pretty bad indeed. However, as someone else pointed out, it's a much harsher climate. NO food to catch, foul water and weather so hot that heat exhaustion and dehydration are real problems. It's like MB is giving us the same old trials and tribulations, but letting us watch these people get seriously sick by the second episode. It's almost as if his attitude is "Sure, we can't come up with anything new or creative to save our lives - but look at the contestants pass out and wind up with huge gross lip sores!"

HI, SILAS!!!

10-23-01, 10:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dakota Click to send private message to Dakota Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: The beginning of the end?"
That's my point. Instead of being creative, intelligent and offering us something new each time, he's doing the same thing. It's almost as though it's less strategy and strength as the ability to endure the lack of food, water and personal hygiene. (Do the natives have somewhere to bathe?) I just think he could come up with more interesting things for the contestants to do than starve and vomit. Or maybe he can't.

kreon 30 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

10-22-01, 09:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kreon Click to send private message to kreon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The beginning of the end?"
I posted a similar suggestion right after ep 2 without knowledge of the ratings. My own assesment was that for some reason there is something missing. Perhaps this show has played itself out. Not too mention all the other reality gameshows that clogg up air time. They do pale in comparrison though. I do think that this season of Survivor opened on a very sour note.

MB's slithering editing in ep 1 may have sent the viewers running. When we saw Massa Tom make Clarence grovel it was by far the most disgusting moment of all these shows. We've seen emotion and anger in bucket loads, but never one man making another man grovel and then watching that man willingly grovel when he should have told him to shove it! For the first time in reality tv show's I actually curled my lip and thougt to myself, "What am I watching? Does that man have no class? He's actually begging for forgiveness" At a time when we are still in recovery over the horrid events of the 11th which were speared on by hatred and jealousy this would not be the image we would want to see nor come back to see. Especially from men who come from our own country. No amount of money should make a man grovel like that! To keep on watching for some may mean catoring to this type of behavior.

As for me, I'm gonna keep watching because I was hooked from the first show on season one. However, my level of excitment is far less than usual. Gonna do the ol tape it and watch later thing for now. It's pretty predictable with the whispering and alliance factors taking center stage as usual.

Perhaps this is why Survivor is no longer the phenom it once was. Sort of a "Been there seen it" thing. We know the routine and the personalities are the same. What they all end up saying is edited for what MB see's would be a great catch for viewers. For some reason he still thinks we want to see the ugly side of greed. That first episodes editing may have been a very bad choice. Don't know how he could have avoided it, but the begging and groveling might have been taken out. We would have had pleanty of understanding of what went on without it.

Do we care who wins? Not really! He thinks right now we still wanna see greedy souls do just about anything for a million dollars. There is the real key to why this show is going flop real fast. The 11th changed our desire to see the nasty side of this game. I understand why there is a lack in interest. Is it over for this show? I'm predicting one more with even worse ratings and then yes it will be shelved. It was a great concept though wasn't it?

Thrill Seeker 220 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-23-01, 03:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Thrill%20Seeker Click to send private message to Thrill%20Seeker Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: The beginning of the end?"
>When we saw Massa Tom make Clarence grovel
>it was by far the most disgusting moment of all
>these shows.
===Kreon, I would say Skupin falling in the fire was much more horrible. Was Clarence hurt? He should have been severely beaten.

>We've seen emotion and anger in bucket loads, but never one man
>making another man grovel and then watching that man
>willingly grovel when he should have told him to shove it!
===Kreon, Clarence STOLE from their food source and lied about it. He should have told them to "shove it" you say? Do you think OJ should have told them to "shove it" too? How can anybody rationalize Clarences theft when it might put other people in danger of starvation? If he did that in a real survival situation, he probably would have been killed by the other marooned people. Clarence got off with a hand slap.

>For the first time in reality tv show's I
>actually curled my lip and thougt to myself, "What am
>I watching? Does that man have no class? He's actually
>begging for forgiveness"
===Kreon, most of the guys in prison claim they're innocent and beg for forgiveness. I don't buy it though.

>No amount of money should make a man grovel like that!
===Kreon, put a million dollars in front of me and I'll probably grovel to win it too. That's kind of the part of the point of the show, to see how far some people will go to get the money.

As far as ratings dropping, Thomas Paine said "the masses are asses". The article said people were watching Friends, Will & Grace, and Just Shoot Me. Enough said. Mark my words, "Temptation Island 2" will be a huge hit.

George Tirebiter 2982 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

10-23-01, 09:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail George%20Tirebiter Click to send private message to George%20Tirebiter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "I can't help myself. . ."
. . . I'm afraid I have to agree with The Wild One here. I didn't want to bog the thread down in another depressing debate on tokenism and the state of race relations today, so I pretty much skipped that comment before, but now it's out in the open.

While Tom may well be a bigot, I'm afraid the issue was that Clarence was a lying ass, they busted him, and now no one can trust him. I don't think his skin color had anything to do with what happened at all--Tom obviously fancies himself the alpha goat, and that was his disturbing way of grinding a potential rival in the dirt to quell any possibility of future challenge of his authority.

I guess if someone wants to turn it into a race issue, they ought to come down on Clarence for making it so easy to dislike him! And while you're at it, I don't think Tom is a sterling representative of the crusty white goat farmers, either. . .

And veering back to the topic at hand--gotta LMAO@your "masses are asses" quote; that was certainly inspired! According to the article, I would think the best thing they could do for Survivor is to let the gay guy befriend one of the prettier girls, who gets pregnant by one of the kewl but geeky guys, and she could subsequently pose nude for the cover of Cosmo. (Yes, I guess that is a lot to ask for in a month and a half. . .)

GT

10-23-01, 10:55 PM (EST)
12. "RE: The beginning of the end?"
Rudy was sneaking food and eating more than his share in S1. Nobody ever brought it up. Don't know why. Clarence screwed up. Get over it. The guy wants to redeem himself and be an accepted member of the tribe and was obviously upset that he was being treated so badly in a very harsh situation. If you want to vote him out, vote him out. But don't treat him like dirt. If you keep him, accept him, get to know him, judge him on more than one incident. Lex's conclusion that "now we know what he's really like" is bull! That's like concluding that Lex is like Dennis Rodman because of they both got tatoos. Clarence is not the only one acting with total self-interest out there. The real backstabber out there is Buchy, not Clarence. And I hope they are both reading this.

SurvivorGuy 24 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-23-01, 10:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorGuy Click to send private message to SurvivorGuy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The beginning of the end?"
LAST EDITED ON 10-23-01 AT 10:23 AM (EST)

I think the show itself is getting too hard. On Survivor 1, they were on a nice island, with good water, the ocean to fish in, rats to cook, tapioca in the forest. The challenges were tough, but not gruelling.

Survivor 2 turned it up a notch. The setting was still nice, with a river for plentiful water, fish and the occasional wild pig to eat, but it seems like they really cut back on the rice. The challenges were harder, and the nasty food one nastier.

Now, Survivor 3 has cranked it up several notches. No plentiful water source. No food that can be scrounged up. The challenges are gruelling endurance fests, with people collapsing from exhaustion.

I liked S1 most of all. S2 was good but didn't come as close. S3 so far doesn't look all that good, although the show has always grown on me during the season. I don't relish the thought of these people living like they're living for 40 some days. MB needs to find a way to recapture the magic from S1, and I don't think making it progressively harder is the answer.

George Tirebiter 2982 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

10-23-01, 02:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail George%20Tirebiter Click to send private message to George%20Tirebiter Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "I don't know about that. . ."
LAST EDITED ON 10-23-01 AT 02:14 PM (EST)

For me, it was supremely disappointing to find that Survivor didn't actually involve surviving--at least, anything beyond office-type politics. . . I still find the Brits' Castaway much more compelling--and that was ENTIRELY about surviving, creating a COMMUNITY that worked in harsh conditions. Yes, the personal dynamics were fascinating, but they were not THE point of the experiment!

If the first installment was more exciting, I think that's because no one knew what was going to happen; to a large degree, S2 was easy to deal with, because the Spoilers could just plug the new personalities into existing roles! I felt the editing really started to go downhill in S2, and to my mind that seemed due to Burn-it's determination to spoil the spoiling--he tried so hard to NOT give anything to work with that it just didn't FLOW logically.

In the pre-S3 propaganda, he promised "the most exciting first episode EVER on Survivor"--and I was incredulous that he could've thought so, once I saw it. . . I felt like the first 3/4 of the show went by before we really started to see some interesting dynamics--I guess he must've really enjoyed the whole thing with Clarence's dishonesty. . . and yet it seems to have really fizzled since! As long as those women keep dropping from dehydration and the men can convince themselves that their ability to tote water reigns supreme, the beans and cherries--and Clarence's belief that he was somehow entitled to them--will continue to be a footnote.

The public typically has a short attention span, and I've thought from the beginning that they had secured rights to more episodes than they could possibly maintain an interest in--and unless they deliver on promises to shake up S3 and keep it fresh, I agree--Survivor could well succumb to the cycle of teevee fashion. I personally think the trend in reality teevee will swing toward POSITIVE things--maybe COPS-type shows that focus on making public servants look good, rather than making idjut crooks look bad. (Oh goody--William Shatner will be able to find work again! LOL) Isn't that what happened when people got tired of watching horrible prime-time soaps? The backstabbing just gets tiresome too fast to be able to stay interested in it.

GT

*whacks forehead* Preview--THEN Post!

Expert Texpert 113 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-23-01, 03:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Expert%20Texpert Click to send private message to Expert%20Texpert Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: The beginning of the end?"
LAST EDITED ON 10-31-01 AT 06:46 PM (EST)

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

10-23-01, 09:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: The beginning of the end?"
I still enjoy the show. I like the interaction between different people, I like to see how the stress of the game brings out the best and worst in people.

As far as cheating or making up ratings goes my husband used to work for Nielson the company that does the TV ratings, I showed him this post and he would like to explain how the ratings work.

Take it away Mr.Bug

The Nielson ratings store the channel that each monitored TV is tuned to electronicaly. This equipment is hard wired to the households TV, VCR, Cable box, and satalite receiver. This involves opening the video devices and hard wiring them. The channel being watched is stored and so is a show being taped on a different channel, if one is being recorded. Both shows get a rating. Someone with an advanced electronic background, (if they were lucky) could possibly cheat the system. Any deviation from the initial set up rejects that home from the nightly ratings until a technician verifies it is working correctly. People are chosen by area, age, ethnic background how many kids etc.based on US census data. The families chosen are secret so that no one network or advertiser can try to pay off a family to watch a certain show, or try to influence a Neilson family directly. Any cheating would have to be done at the data receive center. The fact is that Nielson is the main center for TV ratings that in turn determine what Networks charge advertisers. It is highly unlikely that anyone would be able to make up Television ratings.
I worked for them 12 years ago and the electronic equipment used to collect the data is even more sophisticated now.
Even if a show is taped to watch later, the show still recieves a rating as having been watched.

Thank You Mr. Bug

I just thought that was interesting and wanted to him to share it.

10-23-01, 11:02 PM (EST)
13. "RE: The beginning of the end?"
The interpersonal thing IS the show. But MB is making it physically harder each time. At least in S1 they could rinse off in the ocean and they could fish or search for tapioca or play in the sand. S2 they only had a dirty river, but nothing but some green tomatoes that didn't seem prevalent. S3 they're in danger of being eaten by wild things just to get drinking water. No river, ocean, shade trees to rig a hammock on, etc. We're enjoying the challenges and personalities and MB is enjoying the suffering and increasing it.

Expert Texpert 113 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-24-01, 00:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Expert%20Texpert Click to send private message to Expert%20Texpert Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: The beginning of the end?"
LAST EDITED ON 10-31-01 AT 06:47 PM (EST)

10-24-01, 05:13 PM (EST)
15. "RE: The beginning of the end?"
Let's not forget how 30 million viewers supposedly watched S1, yet I couldn't find a single person (other than myself) who admitted to it, let alone claimed addiction. We even had a thread on the subject of how we're not watching.

Slymmer 61 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-27-01, 12:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Slymmer Click to send private message to Slymmer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: The beginning of the end?"
LAST EDITED ON 10-27-01 AT 12:40 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 10-27-01 AT 12:28 PM (EST)

I do not even know where to begin with this Post, I am twitching like a little kid wantting to spurt out evil things and yet trying to learn how to think before I speak...... Ah to heck with it.

Everyone wants to say it is this or that, we are loosing intrest. That is Crap!! The Media has done this to us. Survivor 1 was new it was fresh it was the hottest show to hit the tv since Happy Days. Sure, cause the media said so and we followed.

Survivor two was a challenge could MB do it again? Would there be a Richard, a Susan, a Collene. Sure if it aint broke don't fix it, just BUFF er BEEF it up. The Rattings for Survivor 2 did not pick up until the merge and then it just blew Friends away. The Media began to hype it up.

And the Public Responds........

Enter Survivor 3 just after 9/11 and the media says, Are the people gunna be up for it. People are too busy dealing with Reality to watch Reality TV. Can Survivor Survive.

In the mean time where have the Dave Letterman spots gone? Where have the ecleptic round table discussions on the morning show gone? Why is MB and real player trying to milk us for extra footage?

And the public responds......

I used to work in Radio and Television, I still do a good bit of guest spot work from time to time at the Radio station I used to work at..... In Survivor 1 we were hampered by the fact that we could only get to it through web sites like this one, so we were hooked off the websites until the show had ended in the states and everyone knew what the out come was, Before we got to SEE IT. But there was a buzz in the air about it..... In Survivor 2 I was in every week to discuss Survivor on the Morning Drive Time Show which would get swamped with callers trying to make their predictions it was a feeding frenzy, it was cool, it was the In Thing..... In Survivor 3 we are so busy by the current events, of Missions that have to be performed, and a Morning Show host who does not like it anymore. Mostly because he has to pull too many all nighters pulling down news that he does not want to discuss the Show any more.

And the Public responds.......

My point to all of this is Stop letting the Media control what you think is good TV, Survivor is still the best Damn Non-Scripted show out there. We are being encouraged to get our lives back to normal but yet we are not fightting to keep our own heads above water. I went into a deep funk after 9/11. It took until the very week Survivor started for me to turn off CNN and start to live my life again as normally as possible. Survivor is my escape from Anthrax and the Taliban.

The EBT is now human and foulable again. We are here cussing and discussing and guessing wrong for a change. This is the best Darn Survivor yet. The situations are more real. The GenX or Y or ME, ah hell why not throw in XP while we are at it are being true to themselves the OFG or OFF or SilverFoxes are being true to themselves and it is a great conflict. Over in Boran we are seeing the Battle of the Sexes along with the "Lets See What Racial stereo types will do" It is real in these situations it is giving us a chance to see just how far we have come or not.

Sure a lot of the challenges are the same or simular but why mess with success, the format is not the game the people are.

We want to revamp the show?? Thanks for proving that we have become so accustomed to becomming bored with some thing so fast that we are the definition of Generation Y or Me.

You want to see Survior rattings pick up?? Start an office pool. Make it fun to watch the show. Join in one of the games like Pickem or the Spoilers challenge. Make the show fun to watch. Get your friends to join us here on the boards. Make the Show fun to watch. Tell CBS we don't care if Dave don't know what to ask them we want to see them. We want the interviews, e-mail questions, and eclectic round tables back on the Morning Show. And Make the Show fun to Watch. The show is going to die because it is not fashion any more, because it is not getting hyped anymore, Because we are letting it die. Because we are not letting the show be Fun to Watch.

Fortunatley for those of us here at SurvivorBlows the show still seems to be at least a little fun.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •