The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Iyanla and spell casting?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

DedeV 155 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

12-11-05, 09:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DedeV Click to send private message to DedeV Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Iyanla and spell casting?"
Given IV's religious beliefs do you think this is something that may actually be incorperated into the show at some point? She does push the envelope. What's your thoughts?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Iyanla and spell casting? dopeydwarf 12-11-05 1
   RE: Iyanla and spell casting? DedeV 12-11-05 2
       RE: Iyanla and spell casting? dopeydwarf 12-11-05 3
           RE: Iyanla and spell casting? DedeV 12-11-05 4
               RE: Iyanla and spell casting? dopeydwarf 12-11-05 5
                   RE: Iyanla and spell casting? Barbied0ll 12-15-05 8
 RE: Iyanla and spell casting? justashell 12-12-05 6
   RE: Iyanla and spell casting? DedeV 12-14-05 7
 RE: Iyanla and spell casting? andreajesus10 12-15-05 9
   RE: Iyanla and spell casting? Woo 12-15-05 10
       RE: Iyanla and spell casting? dgibson 12-15-05 11
           RE: Iyanla and spell casting? Woo 12-15-05 12
               RE: Iyanla and spell casting? carlsbad 12-15-05 13
               RE: Iyanla and spell casting? DedeV 12-15-05 14
                   RE: Iyanla and spell casting? alive 12-16-05 15
                       RE: Iyanla and spell casting? Woo 12-16-05 16
               RE: Iyanla and spell casting? Saree 02-12-06 18
 RE: Iyanla and spell casting? OklaBlue 02-12-06 17
   RE: Iyanla and spell casting? lovemydogdude 02-12-06 19

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

dopeydwarf 185 desperate attention whore postings

12-11-05, 09:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dopeydwarf Click to send private message to dopeydwarf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Iyanla and spell casting?"
sorry. I don't know what her religiious beliefs are. Will you enlighten me?

I'd rather be at Disneyworld

12-11-05, 09:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DedeV Click to send private message to DedeV Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Iyanla and spell casting?"
She is a Yoruba priestess, which is closely associated with Voo Doo.

12-11-05, 09:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dopeydwarf Click to send private message to dopeydwarf Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Iyanla and spell casting?"
It's like Santeria then!!! I Love santeria!!!!!!!

12-11-05, 09:41 PM (EST)
4. "RE: Iyanla and spell casting?"
yes, very similar. I wish they'd explore that a little more, could be very interesting!

12-11-05, 09:47 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Iyanla and spell casting?"

It may offend some people,if they did.(Mainstream Christanity), and having some ( I should say, a little)knowledge of the Orisha, I can tell you that they would require a little more genuineness on the part of someone Iyanla rubs the feet of, but probably require Iyanla to rub them. hope you understand .

Barbied0ll 30 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

12-15-05, 02:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Barbied0ll Click to send private message to Barbied0ll Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Iyanla and spell casting?"
I have to say that I agree with you. I think it would cause to much controversy, and the producers are probly afraid that it would do one of two things, boos the raitings or kill the ratings, I don't think they would be wise to take that chance and find out.

justashell 146 desperate attention whore postings

12-12-05, 01:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail justashell Click to send private message to justashell Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Iyanla and spell casting?"

I wish she would push the envelope with Allison---and push her right out of the house.

With or without any help from her religious beliefs.

12-14-05, 06:09 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Iyanla and spell casting?"
OMG, I'm psychic!

Iyanla tells them they are going to cast a love spell today. Each woman is to take a photo of herself, and then frame the photo with the leaves over the top of it to cast the 'love spell'. Group is adjourned.

WOW, that is tooooooo funny!``

andreajesus10 16 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

12-15-05, 03:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail andreajesus10 Click to send private message to andreajesus10 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Iyanla and spell casting?"
You mean she hasn't been doin it already?

Actually, Miss Iy was doin it a LOT last season and obviously she has not changed. These are the times that I'm grateful for the Fast Forward button on the VCR; she creeps me out when she does this "New Age-y"/Yoruba priestess kind of stuff. Not to mention--who knows what kind of "New Age-y" thoughts she's puttin in the HGs heads?

Woo 87 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

12-15-05, 05:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Woo Click to send private message to Woo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Iyanla and spell casting?"
Has anyone here done any real research into the Yoruba religion? Or is this just speculation? What is the yoruba/new age comparison really? What has she said/done that causes you to believe that they are similar?

dgibson 76 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-05, 05:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dgibson Click to send private message to dgibson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Iyanla and spell casting?"
OH NO! I just did a google search and yes IY is the preistess like the above note says. Also, this is very close to voodoo. Wow - fascinating.. I have had a problem w/ the show for a while -- this seals the deal for me. I AM DONE W/ SO.

12-15-05, 05:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Woo Click to send private message to Woo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Iyanla and spell casting?"
How is it close to voodoo? In what way?

carlsbad 24 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-05, 07:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail carlsbad Click to send private message to carlsbad Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Iyanla and spell casting?"
I hope she doesn't bring her beliefs too far into the show and it would offend many. That's not what this show is about and never was. IV can be wahtever she feels is right for her but that's where it should end

12-15-05, 09:18 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Iyanla and spell casting?"
>How is it close to voodoo?
> In what way?

Very close, there is lots of info on the web about it. There are a lot of people out there that are "new agey" LOL if that's a word! And you're right, IV has brought a lot of that into the show. What do you think "speaking to the universe" is? It is a belief system that believes magic is setting an intent and it will happen. If you know some about Kabbalah or any mysticism you'll recognize the buzz words. I have studied a lot about many different religions and picked up on that right away. THat is why I did a search on IV and found out she was a priestess.

alive 11 desperate attention whore postings

12-16-05, 12:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail alive Click to send private message to alive Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Iyanla and spell casting?"
I don't see how speaking to the universe is any different than
speaking those things that are not as though they were-- which is what the Bible tells us to do-- The Bible also says that "Life and Death are in the power of the tounge" So you can either speak wellness on yourself or illness-- Wealth or poverty-- love or lonliness--- This is power in what you speak out of your mouth into the world, universe etc. You are getting caught up on lingo- but the principle is still the same.

12-16-05, 02:42 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Iyanla and spell casting?"
Exactly Alive. God also tells us in the bible we have not because we ask not (James 4:2-3. Jill was being shown to ask for what she needs. She was also be taught that you have to acknowledge that there is a Being higher then ourselves available to lean on in our time of need. So maybe the show used the generic term universe. I'm sure it's because if she would have said God/Creator or Jesus, there would be problems with the sponsors. The sponsors have to remain neutral.

The things I've read about the yoruba religion and have learned in some Christian and Catholic churches are no different from what I've seen done on the show.

New Age is relative. The Christians of old, my believe that what is going on the church now is new age and void of the spirit of God.

Saree 2 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

02-12-06, 00:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Saree Click to send private message to Saree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Iyanla and spell casting?"
>How is it close to voodoo?
> In what way?

Voodoo is a mix of traditional Yoruba, Fon and Ewe religions brought from West Africa through the triangle trade. Many people believed that it was a mix of traditional religion with catholic beliefs, but that's not entirely true. Most slaves brought to Haiti practiced vodon but attempted to hide their "pagan" beliefs from their masters by veiling them with some catholic traditions. As things do, the original Vodun religion evolved into voodoo which encorporates native north american religions, christian religions as well as the African religions.

Ahem, and now I will hop off my nerdy masters student soap box!

OklaBlue 1244 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

02-12-06, 00:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail OklaBlue Click to send private message to OklaBlue Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Iyanla and spell casting?"
She did the "magic potion" with NuLisa in the enchanted forest. And a lot of hand washing to cast out demons of the past with a couple this season.

lovemydogdude 1253 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

02-12-06, 01:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail lovemydogdude Click to send private message to lovemydogdude Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Iyanla and spell casting?"
LOL Blue you might have something there.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •