The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Anyone else a re-reader?????????"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

snoocharoo 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

06-12-03, 10:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail snoocharoo Click to send private message to snoocharoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Anyone else a re-reader?????????"
Last week we were cleaning out the cubbies upstairs to prepare for the addition. I have literally 100's maybe 1000's of books and magazines, everything from my high school Latin translator to psychology text books to true crime novels, best sellers and old classics. Some of the books I have had since I was child, others came with the house when we bought it and are over 50 years old. I can't bring myself to throw away or sell any of my books, in fact I have this weird habit of re-reading them and hoarding books like some secret treasure. I rarely use the library, if I find a book that looks good I just buy it.

For example I found my original copy of The Stand and have decided to re-read it again (I've read it at least 7 times). Others on the re-read list include Silence of the Lambs, Red Dragon and Hannibal. Most of the Stephen King books, The Godfather, all of Michael Crichton novels, all of John Grisham novels, most of the Michael Connelly books, the same with Robin Cook, Dean Koontz, Jeff Deaver, Patricia Cornwell (not her recent stuff). This is a problem because I've dug myself into a reading rut. I have sooo many great books that I am hesitant to read something new. The last three "new" books I have read have been awful. Completely lacking in creativity, too many story lines, unfulfilling climaxes and overall predictibility. I tried reading a James Paterson novel called "The Murder Book" and got totally bored by page 25.

Anyone else a re-reader? Anyone have any good, quality book reccomendations, as you can see I tend to like fiction, crime, horror and justice novels.

"M-O-O-N that spells book"

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Anyone else a re-reader????????... nailbone 06-12-03 1
 RE: Anyone else a re-reader????????... TechNoir 06-12-03 2
   RE: Anyone else a re-reader????????... snoocharoo 06-12-03 3
 *raises hand* thndrkttn 06-12-03 4
   RE: *raises hand* snoocharoo 06-12-03 8
       RE: *raises hand* thndrkttn 06-12-03 15
   RE: *raises hand* mistofleas 06-12-03 12
       RE: *raises hand* thndrkttn 06-12-03 14
   RE: *raises hand* dajaki 06-12-03 26
       RE: *raises hand* Breezy 06-12-03 27
 RE: Anyone else a re-reader????????... blacknwhitedog 06-12-03 5
 RE: Anyone else a re-reader????????... anotherkim 06-12-03 6
 RE: Anyone else a re-reader????????... Lisapooh 06-12-03 7
   RE: Anyone else a re-reader????????... snoocharoo 06-12-03 11
       RE: Anyone else a re-reader????????... anotherkim 06-12-03 13
   RE: Anyone else a re-reader????????... TechNoir 06-12-03 16
       RE: Anyone else a re-reader????????... Lisapooh 06-12-03 17
           RE: Anyone else a re-reader????????... L82LIFE 06-12-03 19
 RE: Anyone else a re-reader????????... jkokoj 06-12-03 9
 RE: Anyone else a re-reader????????... Schnookie Palookie 06-12-03 10
 RE: Anyone else a re-reader????????... cqvenus 06-12-03 18
 RE: Anyone else a re-reader????????... PaperCupPrincess 06-12-03 20
   RE: Anyone else a re-reader????????... Schnookie Palookie 06-12-03 21
 RE: Anyone else a re-reader????????... Breezy 06-12-03 22
   RE: Anyone else a re-reader????????... L82LIFE 06-12-03 24
       RE: Anyone else a re-reader????????... Breezy 06-12-03 25
 RE: Anyone else a re-reader????????... Bebo 06-12-03 23
 Swan Song Schnookie Palookie 06-13-03 28

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

06-12-03, 10:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Anyone else a re-reader?????????"
LAST EDITED ON 06-12-03 AT 10:13 AM (EST)

Count me in. I have a buncha books that I haven't read yet, but I've read Clear and Present Danger at least three times. Several others too, but I can't remember them just now. But I NEVER throw away a book!

(c) 2003 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.
Royal Liaison to Illicit Activities, SB Video Historian (StS)

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

06-12-03, 10:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Anyone else a re-reader?????????"
LAST EDITED ON 06-12-03 AT 10:16 AM (EST)

Sounds like you want to read Peter Stroub. Start with Ghost Story. And The Talisman is the book he co-wrote with Stephen King. He's like King but less predictable and more scary.

"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

btw you don't throw away books. You give away books. Last time I culled the collection I gave away 10,000. Seems with that many most non-profit organizations are more than willing to pick them up. I donated them to a local school that runs an annual used book sale.

06-12-03, 10:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail snoocharoo Click to send private message to snoocharoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Anyone else a re-reader?????????"
great minds...I've already read Ghost Story.

thndrkttn 3216 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

06-12-03, 10:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail thndrkttn Click to send private message to thndrkttn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "*raises hand*"
Total re-reader here. With my favorite books, I usually wait until I can't remember the exact story lines or the details and then go back and read it agan. I am notorious for doing with John Irving's "A Prayer For Owen Meany" and "Cider House Rules".

Funny you should mention coming across your original copy of The Stand cuz yesterday I just came across mine as well along with the Bachman Books.

Anyone ever read "The Long Walk" and literally have to sit in the spot where you finished the story and just attempt to take it all in? It took me about two weeks to get over that story.

06-12-03, 10:22 AM (EST)
8. "RE: *raises hand*"

t-kit I too have to sit back and "absorb" the story. I like to project myself into the story. When I read I go into this kind of mental cacoon where I hear no sound except for the words I am reading in my head, same when I write, I get lost in the forest of my mind. My kid and DH get irritated because I am completely out of touch when I read, which is why I don't get to read all that often.

OMH...soooooo sorry about Bonnaroo, now you'll just have to come to Hartford on the 21st!

06-12-03, 10:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail thndrkttn Click to send private message to thndrkttn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: *raises hand*"

So sorry about Bonnaroo *Sob*

I would totally come to Hartford but I have to go to a stoopid wedding in North Carolina that day. Blech.

Maybe next year for our honeymoon we'll go to Bonnaroo!

mistofleas 8043 desperate attention whore postings

06-12-03, 10:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mistofleas Click to send private message to mistofleas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: *raises hand*"
I have all the original "Bachman" books too. Though I've put them in special boxes and don't actually read those anymore, I read the re issued versions with King's name on the front. I don't know why I feel the need to save the Bachmans but...there it is.

The Long Walk was probably the one that I spent the most time re-reading. The image of Garraty pushing everyone aside and starting to run still leaves me with chills. Excellent!

I've got Thinner in my briefcase right now!

--is a big re-reader

06-12-03, 10:51 AM (EST)
14. "RE: *raises hand*"
LAST EDITED ON 06-12-03 AT 10:54 AM (EST)

The image of Garraty pushing everyone aside and starting to run still leaves me with chills.

I was practically ill when I read those lines. I was stunned. Absolutely stunned.

I must have sat still for an hour after I finished it. Then once I regained some composure, everytime I actually *sat* down, I thought of them and the fact that they would get a warning for doing just that, sitting.

-edited to fix a sentence.

dajaki 1454 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

06-12-03, 03:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dajaki Click to send private message to dajaki Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: *raises hand*"
"The Long Walk" is just one of those stories that stays with you. I read it many, many years ago, but I remember every bit of it.

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

06-12-03, 03:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: *raises hand*"
Thanks you guys I stopped at the used book store on the way back to the office and bought the Bachman books.

blacknwhitedog 6532 desperate attention whore postings

06-12-03, 10:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail blacknwhitedog Click to send private message to blacknwhitedog Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Anyone else a re-reader?????????"
I've got a couple hundred books in the basement. Including all my old college textbooks. (You know, from back when frozen foods and space travel were just "concepts"). Why do I save all that stuff? I've luuged boxes of textbooks in 4 moves in the past 10 years.

Another quality Ice Cat creation 2003

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

06-12-03, 10:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Anyone else a re-reader?????????"
I reread any and every book that I have if it is halfway entertaining. I can't tell you how many times I have read Gone With the Wind and Helter Skelter, for example.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--currently on an Ann Rule read-fest

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings

Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Anyone else a re-reader?????????"
Try the Sue Grafton series and the Janet Evanovich series - both of them would be right up your alley. You'll probably start reading, read everything in the series in a week and then pout for a year waiting for the next one - at least that's what I did.

06-12-03, 10:23 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Anyone else a re-reader?????????"
Is Sue Grafton the "M is for Murder" author?

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

06-12-03, 10:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Anyone else a re-reader?????????"

Yes. Nice, easy reads that are entertaining.

Miscellaneous Ramblings

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

06-12-03, 11:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Anyone else a re-reader?????????"
I.HEART.STEPHANIE.PLUM

"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings

06-12-03, 11:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Anyone else a re-reader?????????"
the new one is out in July.

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings

06-12-03, 12:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail L82LIFE Click to send private message to L82LIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Anyone else a re-reader?????????"
Stephanie Plum is the best! If you've never read these, do so NOW! I can't wait for the next one to come out, think I'm going to preorder from Amazon.

Speaking of Amazon, isn't there a way to support either SB or Crims if you order Amazon stuff through the site's link? Can somebody remind me which site it is and how to go about it?

jkokoj 4389 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

Click to EMail jkokoj Click to send private message to jkokoj Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Anyone else a re-reader?????????"
I love Robert Ludlum and the Bourne Trilogy. I have read those books at least 3 times. I have read Gone with the Wind at least 5 times as well as the less than great follow up Scarlett.

Oh yeah I think I have read Green Eggs and Ham at least 100 times in the last 6 years, maybe more!LOL

Schnookie Palookie 16822 desperate attention whore postings

06-12-03, 10:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Schnookie%20Palookie Click to send private message to Schnookie%20Palookie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Anyone else a re-reader?????????"
I love to re-read The Stand. I have a great book that I'm sure you'll love but I can't remember the title. I've read it quite a few times. I'll check the title when I get home and email you the title. It's similar to The Stand.

I love John Sandford's "Prey" series and enjoy James Patterson's books.

I used to keep tons of books but eventually I sorted through them and gave a lot away. We also have a book swap here at work.

I used to read so many books that I had to keep a log so I wouldn't buy the same one again.

cqvenus 9765 desperate attention whore postings

06-12-03, 11:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cqvenus Click to send private message to cqvenus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Anyone else a re-reader?????????"
try jasper fforde

book 1 - the eyre affair

book 2 - lost in a good book

fiction, using famous past literary characters, so it's fun, there's crime involved, and justice.

3 out of 4 ain't bad.

i'm sure you can find reviews and synopses online somewhere... i'm too lazy to find them right now...

~ cq

- i love irvine welsh if anyone cares

PaperCupPrincess 160 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

06-12-03, 01:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PaperCupPrincess Click to send private message to PaperCupPrincess Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Anyone else a re-reader?????????"
To go along with everyone else...I've read Gone With the Wind too many times to count. Scarlett a few times too, but Gone With the Wind is as near and dear to me as my bible. It was the only book that has ever made me cry...(when Melly died). The Sue Grafton series is great...as is any Mary Higgins Clark. Elizabeth Peters is great for archeological mysteries, especially Egypt. Lillian Jackson Braun is great too-I've been reading her since 5th grade and still am. Agatha Christies are amazing, especially Ten Little Indians.
If I didn't re-read my books, I'd go crazy, because I go through at least 3-4 books a week, and I never can find time to go to the library or the bookstore. (when I go to the mall, that's always my last stop lest I spend all my money there first). All of my books have been through a war and back, but the best way I've found to read new books is to borrow them from friends..or reccomend it to them so that they buy it and you can just read it)

-Not like I play mind tricks on my friends to buy books for me to borrow or anything....::sheepishly trots off to hide behind Gone With the Wind::

06-12-03, 01:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Schnookie%20Palookie Click to send private message to Schnookie%20Palookie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Anyone else a re-reader?????????"
"or reccomend it to them so that they buy it and you can just read it"

Aren't you a devilishly clever girl CupCup

*also enjoys Mary Higgins Clark books*

06-12-03, 02:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Anyone else a re-reader?????????"
I love to reread some of my favorites. I've read Jean Auels books so many times I know them by heart. Also reread the Outlander series alot I like those cause I can just grab one of the books open it up and get lost in it. I like Mary Higgins Clark but did NOT like her latest...can't quite remember the title think it was Second Time Around....it just didn't feel like her writing at all IMO.

Have you read any Tami Hoag? Love her too, try Night Sins and then Guilty as Sin. Also liked Dark House, Thin Red Line..... she's good.

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings

06-12-03, 02:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail L82LIFE Click to send private message to L82LIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Anyone else a re-reader?????????"
Tamie Hoag books are great. Kay Hooper also writes a good book. Have you ever read Iris Johansen? She reminds me of Tamie Hoag.

06-12-03, 02:58 PM (EST)
25. "RE: Anyone else a re-reader?????????"
My sister sent me an Iris Johansen one, but I haven't read it yet. I think I'll start it this weekend, hammock here I come!!!!

Who am I kidding I finish a book in a day sometimes. Will have to go look for The Long Walk, sounds like I might like it.

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings

06-12-03, 02:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Anyone else a re-reader?????????"
Major re-reader. Too many books to count, but I'll just mention Marion Zimmer Bradley as the author of quite a few of them.

Bebo, Mistress of the Painfully Obvious and your American Idol PTTE co-champ

06-13-03, 09:44 AM (EST)
28. "Swan Song"
written by Robert McCammon. "An ancient evil roams the blasted, nightmare country, an evil as old as time. He is the man with the scarlet eye, the man of many faces, gathering under his power the forces of human greed and madness. He is seeking to destroy a child, the one called Swan"

I think you'll enjoy Swan Song Snooch. It's similar to The Stand and it's 956 enjoyable pages (I love getting my money's worth).
He also wrote Boy's Life.

*practicing the poo-teen polka for the prom*

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •