The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-13-06, 11:10 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"
LAST EDITED ON 09-13-06 AT 03:54 PM (EST)

Welcome to the 13th and latest installment of Survivor, this time innocuously subtitled: Cook Islands! for the location in which it takes place. Almost as soon as S12 ended, Outfrontgirl was already on the case for S13, providing lots of details about the Cook Islands and some lovely scenic photos in this thread and this thread.

We will get to the actual spoilage momentarily -- but first:

The Premise

The usual: x number of players, x number of tribes, rewards, immunities, tribal councils, merges, blather-blather... The exile twist from Exile Island is returning, as we were warned, although it has not yet been mentioned if the Hidden Immunity Idol is also returning (we remember how exciting that turned out to be).

In any case, all is dwarfed by the newest innovation Mark Burnett has in store for viewers. As if to reckessly court the bad karma that the number 13 might portend, MB this time has chosen to divide the cast of 20 into four tribes grouped by “race” -- I use that term loosely -- in a twist which much of the world’s population has already raised objections to. (Why, right here in NYC, an Asian city councilman staged a rally at City Hall just to try to get CBS to pull the show! And sponsors are distancing themselves from the show in droves!). This brazen affront to decent persons’ sensibilities was discussed in Survivor21’s tribal divisions thread.

I wonder why MB didn’t call it Survivor: The Amazing (Segregated) Races! In order to get his “diverse” cast, of course, MB had to recruit almost all the talent – I use that term loosely as well – this time. (Actually the aptest title of all would have been Survivor: California Falls Into The Pacific! -- since no fewer than 13 of the 20 DAWS are from that state.) Without further ado, let ‘s meet our tribes:

Welcome to the DAWhouse

HISPANIC AMERICAN / ORANGE / AITUTAKI TRIBE:

Billy Garcia is a heavy metal guitarist from New York. Billy looks sorta white but he has a Hispanic surname so he is on this tribe:

Cecilia Mansilla is a technology risk consultant from California:

Cristina Coria is a police officer from California:

Ozzy Lusth is a waiter from Califonia. Ozzy looks sorta white too, and has a non-Hispanic surname, but he was born in Mexico so he is on this tribe:

J.P. Calderon is a professional volleyball player from California:

AFRICAN AMERICAN / YELLOW / MANIHIKI TRIBE:

Nathan Gonzalez is a salesperson/musician from California. Nathan has a Hispanic surname but he looks black so he is on this tribe:

Rebecca Borman is a make-up artist from New York. Rebecca has a professional connection to Survivor in that she does ex-contestant Elisabeth Hasselbeck’s make-up on “The View”:

Sekou Bunch is a jazz bassist from California:

Stephannie Favor is a nursing student from South Carolina:

Sundra Oakley is an actress from California:

CAUCASIAN AMERICAN / BLUE / RARATONGA TRIBE:

Adam Gentry is a copier salesman from California:

Candice Woodcock is a pre-med student from North Carolina:

Jessica Smith is a performance artist/rollergirl from California:

Jonathan Penner is a writer (get it? Penner?)/producer from California:

Parvati Shallow is a cocktail waitress/boxer from California. Parvati is the name of a Hindu goddess so perhaps she has some Indian ancestry; nevertheless, she looks white so she is on this tribe:

ASIAN AMERICAN / GREEN / PUKA PUKA TRIBE:

Anh-tuan (Cao Boi) Bui is a nail salon manager from Virginia:

Becky Lee is an attorney from Washington, D.C.:

Brad Virata is a fashion director from California:

Jenny Guzon-Bae is a real estate agent from Illinois:

Yul Kwon is a management consultant from California:

Now that the DAWS have been properly introduced, it's time for

Episode 1: I Can Forgive Her But I Don't Have To Since She Screwed With My Chickens

Thanks to michel for providing us with this ridiculous title.

Jeff Probst informed us in his media teleconference that “we start the show exactly like we did Season One.” And sure enough, the previews show a large ship in the middle of the ocean and the DAWS on board grabbing whatever supplies they can and jumping overboard to color-coded rafts, which they will steer to their respective camps. Included in what they can grab off the boat are Hawaiian slings, firewood, fishtraps, lanterns, chickens, bananas, and a large crate for each tribe. Rather than post a whole lot of caps here, I’ll just link you to TDT, who has assembled a lovely collection of images of the marooning.

Apparently a female on one tribe isn’t too keen on fowl for dinner:

Might this have something to do with that absurd title?

In any case, we don’t know much else about what happens in Ep 1 but we do know that there is

A Challenge

The previews have only shown us one challenge, so we assume there is only one, and therefore it must be for immunity but possibly reward as well. Flowerpower posted the TV Guide Preview’s caps of the Dream Team running the entire challenge here.

First the tribes assemble in front of structures that will later support ladder rungs. Here we see the actual tribes in their starting positions:

From this vantage point, each tribe runs in their respective lanes over sand dunes toward the beach, where they will assemble a boat out of what looks like giant Lego pieces. In the boat they also place rungs that will be used on the ladder. Next, row out to a color-coded platform in the water and grab your torch. Light the torch from a flaming barrel, and row back to shore.

Here we see that Aitutaki, looking quite pleased, is ahead of Puka Puka at that juncture, and Manihiki hasn’t picked up their torch(es) yet. No sign of Rarotonga:

Once back at shore, they must transport the ladder rungs and the lit torch back over the sand dunes, and start placing the rungs on the ladder in the correct order. Lastly, all tribemembers climb their ladder to a platform above, where they will use the torch to burn through a rope that will release their flag, or something like that.

Here we see that Rarotonga is ahead of Manihiki in the ladder building stage – Manihiki does not have any rungs installed and appears to be cheating off of Rarotonga:

And here we see Puka Puka, post-challenge since they have at least some ladder rungs installed, while Manihiki’s structure is still empty:

Based on the above, the placing of the first three finishers isn’t clear, but it does seem quite clear that Manihiki finishes last. That the African American tribe would lose the first challenge was also spoiled by Darnell1980 at Sucks, who correctly confirmed/disavowed a number of prospective contestants prior to the cast announcement.

Additionally, TDT was tipped off that the losing tribe would get to select an exile from one of the other tribes – in Ep 1, at least – and he proffers vidcaps where it sure looks like Manihiki has decided to exile Jonathan from the Rarotonga tribe. TDT also notes that Puka Puka and Aitutaki are seen with fire when all five members are in camp; Rarotonga we see with fire but Jonathan is the only one not visible. Flints may thus be a reward for the top three finishers.

So that brings us to:

The Boot

Darnell1980’s other info for EP 1 was that there is only one boot. With no evidence to the contrary, sounds good to us. So who will it be?

We have no spoilers, so we must conjecture. I see two possibilities. First, we might consider that Manihiki has three women and two men. The women are all in their 30’s; Sekou is 40+, while Nathan is 20-something. The women could opt to self-preserve, in which case Sekou, being older and not terribly fit, could leave. Sekou is the only Manihiki who appeared on a list of MySpace Friends – see tribe’s thread – which some suspect may reveal Loser Lodge denizens, though that is debatable.

On the other hand, it is always safest at the first TC for everyone to gang up on one person – thus an ersatz feeling of tribal unity can prevail, until the next TC at least. Nathan and Sekou are looking very chummy in some camp shots, so I suspect Nathan would not vote with the ladies for Sekou in Scenario 1 (and neither would Sekou vote for Nathan if he were the choice). So to arrive at a 4-1 vote, one of the ladies would likely have to be targetted.

Four members of Manihiki have creative/show business leanings – two musicians, an actress, and a make-up artist. And, all four live in the show biz hubs of L.A. or New York. Only one Manihiki doesn’t fit that mold: Stephannie, a nursing student from South Carolina who was formerly in the military.

Both Sekou and Stephannie have the kind of low-key preview coverage usually accorded the first boot. Hmmm…..

I’m running out of time, and steam, so I’m not going post any of the future outside tips/spoilers that came in to TDT and other parties. They’re all pretty vague anyway, but I know some people don’t want to be aware of them. If you’re interested, visit TDT’s spoiler page and Survivometer for the lowdown. Jeff Probst has also promised there will be no fewer than three “romances” this time, as Flowerpower points out.

Also make sure to visit VerucaSalt’s highly anticipated Editing Thread -- always a must-read. Pepe has a speculation thread going, and Spidey just came boppin’ in with some insights on Cao Boi.

So let’s wrap this up.

Immunity/(reward) winners (in probable order of finish):
Aitutaki, Puka Puka, Rarotonga

Immunity/(reward) loser: Manihiki

Exile: Jonathan, from Rarotonga

Boot: most likely Stephannie or Sekou
ETA: Jeff Probst assures us there is a record number of blindsides this time, and LordOfSurvivor at Sucks was told the first boot is female and that the first TC "ends strangely." Make of that what you will...

Please feel free to correct any omissions or errors or add any new information that may surface below. Much thanks to everyone else who contributed to the early spoiling -- my profuse apologies if I didn’t mention you by name -- and don’t forget to vote in the Vote Thread!

Edited one more time to say: Darnell1980 *may* have received one more spoiler about Ep 1. If you want to see it, go to the vote thread at Sucks.

Blowin' the blues away, courtesy of tribephyl

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Ep... Bravehart 09-13-06 1
   RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Ep... Brownroach 09-13-06 2
       RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Ep... Bravehart 09-13-06 5
 RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Ep... KObrien_fan 09-13-06 3
   RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Ep... Brownroach 09-14-06 18
       RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Ep... KObrien_fan 09-14-06 19
 RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Ep... michel 09-13-06 4
 RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Ep... Flowerpower 09-13-06 6
   RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Ep... KObrien_fan 09-13-06 7
       RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Ep... Flowerpower 09-13-06 8
 RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Ep... Scarlett O Hara 09-13-06 9
 RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Ep... RudyRules 09-13-06 10
 RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Ep... Outfrontgirl 09-14-06 11
   RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Ep... Brownroach 09-14-06 15
 RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Ep... Outfrontgirl 09-14-06 12
   RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Ep... Brownroach 09-14-06 14
       RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Ep... Outfrontgirl 09-14-06 16
 RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Ep... Snidget 09-14-06 13
 RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Ep... ginger 09-14-06 17
 RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Ep... strid333 09-14-06 20
 RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Ep... Wallflower66 09-15-06 21

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Bravehart 264 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-13-06, 11:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Bravehart Click to send private message to Bravehart Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"
Thanks BR for clear and concise specs on ep1. Great intro for the DAWS as well. I kind of like this premise, it is definately an experiment in sociology. Only one question, where is Emydi's link to the PPTE?

09-13-06, 11:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"
Scarlett has a thread going here.

Bravehart 264 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-13-06, 04:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bravehart Click to send private message to Bravehart Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"
Thanks BR for the link to PTTE, I don't know what I'm doing yet but will make my picks....

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings

09-13-06, 12:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"
Thanks for the SOTS BR, good job and what a start to this season!

09-14-06, 04:04 PM (EST)
18. "RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"
KO, I love your summary on SFever too.

09-14-06, 05:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"
Ahh, thanks

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

09-13-06, 12:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"
Great Job BR. That's the way to get us started.

I really liked your titles: Survivor: The Amazing (Segregated) Races! and Survivor: California Falls Into The Pacific! The first one could've earned them an Emmy.

As far as: "providing us with this ridiculous title." Thanks for including me. I swear I was only the messenger and I'm in no way responsible for chosing it!

Flowerpower 7262 desperate attention whore postings

09-13-06, 05:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"
LAST EDITED ON 09-13-06 AT 06:03 PM (EST)

Stellar Episode 1 SOTS, Mr. Roach! I LOVED IT! Thanks so much. You really introduced all of the players beautifully, and I love your logic, as always. You've really made the case for a Stephannie boot, I just may be swayed! Nice to read a BR SOTS again, thanks,

fp

PS. I ran across this vidcap and just had to post it here....if one vidcap pointed to a Manihiki loss, I'd say this one would have to be it...

09-13-06, 07:25 PM (EST)
7. "RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"
Um, FP, thats of them in the raft they get when they jump off the ship to start the game, not the challenge boat.

Flowerpower 7262 desperate attention whore postings

09-13-06, 07:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"
It may well be, KO, but it still is not a good sign for boat challenges to come!

Scarlett O Hara 3439 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-13-06, 08:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Scarlett%20O%20Hara Click to send private message to Scarlett%20O%20Hara Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"
Thanks BR for showing us how an SOTS should be done!! Fabulous, baby!

RudyRules 8360 desperate attention whore postings

09-13-06, 09:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RudyRules Click to send private message to RudyRules Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"
GREAT job BR!
Good job setting the bar for SOTS to come!

"A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog."
- Charles Doran
Rudy's Place

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

09-14-06, 04:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"
Loved this SOTS, BR!
Well done!

I have a hard time imagining musicians ganging up on each other, seems like they would immediately bond and form a band ... and Sundra has been in music videos ... and Sekou and Sundra have both done Jamaican-related stuff ...

Steph seems like the odd one out to me.

09-14-06, 10:46 AM (EST)
15. "RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"
I generally agree, OFG, but then I also wondered, is it *too* much of the same on one tribe? The four cancel each other out in a way, so it might be thought that one (or more) of them should be eliminated first. Dunno.

09-14-06, 05:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"
>>Parvati is the name of a Hindu goddess so perhaps she has some Indian ancestry

well she started out her life on a commune ...
I'm thinking Parvati, Krishna, Shanti, Aum, Crystal, Rainbow, Chakra, and Tantra were probably more common than Billy and Sue. Hippy parents.

09-14-06, 10:38 AM (EST)
14. "RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"
I know, I was just being snide about MB's idea of "racial" divisions.

09-14-06, 02:27 PM (EST)
16. "RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"
And lovely "snide" it was, BR. LMAO all the way through!

I only posted about Parvati because I did think she might be of partial Indian descent (Indians, a huge group that was snubbed because they don't fit neatly into the 4 divisions?). So I read her bio to check and found the commune.

Have we had a "child of the commune" since Gabe in Marquesas? I'm glad this historically under-represented group has been given another shot.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

09-14-06, 07:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"
Great Job!

Thanks for getting me caught up, I've been getting ready for the TAR10 Episode 1 summary and spending all my time trying to get to know those peeps.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

09-14-06, 02:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"
*gazes adoringly at BR*

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

09-14-06, 11:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"
A very good intro to the season.

Three is the perfect number.

Wallflower66 2446 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

09-15-06, 00:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Wallflower66 Click to send private message to Wallflower66 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: S13 - State of the Spoiling, Episode 1"

Way to go, BR! Great SOTS!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •