The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"S13: Survivor Aitutaki Atoll"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-02-06, 11:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"S13: Survivor Aitutaki Atoll"
LAST EDITED ON 05-02-06 AT 11:59 PM (EST)

The name isn't finalized: whether Blue Lagoon, Mutiny Island, Back to the Bounty, Cooked in the Cooks--that and the theme won't be announced until May 14th, but we know the location! Survivor crew is currently all over Aitutaki Atoll in the Southern Cook Islands.

Wezzie has just posted a summary of the spoiling journey and confirmations: S13 - Aitutaki Atoll, Cook Islands

Dan Bollinger's maps of the S13 Location are here: SurvivorMaps
and he has boating restrictions mapped out (see Wezzie's summary; it's a large JPEG).

This thread continues off preliminary speculation in this thread:
S13 Location???

It's been a fun ride watching it get nailed down! Thanks to all who worked so hard, especially Dan Bollinger and Wezzie.

Ed to fix linkage

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: S13: Survivor Aitutaki Atoll tribephyl 05-03-06 1
   RE: S13: Survivor Aitutaki Atoll emydi 05-04-06 5
   RE: S13: Survivor Aitutaki Atoll Outfrontgirl 05-04-06 6
       RE: S13: Survivor Aitutaki Atoll tribephyl 05-06-06 8
           RE: S13: Survivor Aitutaki Atoll emydi 05-06-06 9
           RE: S13: Survivor Aitutaki Atoll Outfrontgirl 05-06-06 10
 RE: S13: Survivor Aitutaki Atoll Brownroach 05-03-06 2
   RE: S13: Survivor Aitutaki Atoll Outfrontgirl 05-04-06 7
 RE: S13: Survivor Aitutaki Atoll mll1717 05-03-06 3
   RE: S13: Survivor Aitutaki Atoll Outfrontgirl 05-03-06 4
 New info Outfrontgirl 05-08-06 11
   RE: New info mommamia 05-13-06 12
       RE: New info emydi 05-13-06 13
       RE: New info Outfrontgirl 05-13-06 15
 Survivor Cook Islands bootleg Tease... Outfrontgirl 05-13-06 14
   RE: Survivor Cook Islands bootleg T... Round Robin 05-14-06 18
   RE: Survivor Cook Islands bootleg T... coolbluepig 05-14-06 19
       RE: Survivor Cook Islands bootleg T... Outfrontgirl 05-14-06 20
 Not that remote ,,, Karchita 05-13-06 16
   RE: Not that remote ,,, Outfrontgirl 05-14-06 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

05-03-06, 05:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: S13: Survivor Aitutaki Atoll"
And thanks to you too OFG!

I watched the thread over at sucks expand and flourish with your guidance and experience.

I'm very glad your sucks experiment was so good, otherwise I'da had to break some bones over there. (They dare not mess with BlowsRoyalty.)
But I'm even more glad your back here. Sharing the good spoiling news.

Bring S13 on!
It will be beautiful.

As a side question:
I was wondering what kind of impact the history of "blackbirding" has had on the present islanders. Did you happen to notice any of the locals identifying themselves as descendents from those early forced-laborers.
I've read it was at one time a common practice in the Cook's Islands but was wondering if Aitutaki was effected/affected or has some sort of lasting cultural significance from those events.
Also I hear they have a delicious "orange" brew. Bush-Beer.
And that, in a way, they suffered their own prohibition period in the past and are presently dotted with vigilante <winkwink> speakeasys or tumunus. Ummm ... a possible Kava substitute? Or just alcohol?

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

05-04-06, 02:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: S13: Survivor Aitutaki Atoll"
... a possible Kava substitute?

and possibly another cute bald guy to drink it mmmmm.....Chad....

05-04-06, 05:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: S13: Survivor Aitutaki Atoll"
LAST EDITED ON 05-04-06 AT 05:25 PM (EST)

Hi Tribe,
love those kind of questions. Where did you read about blackbirding in the Cooks? I'm always interested in learning more. My references (such as they are) don't include the Cooks or French Polynesia in the heavily-raided islands. Re descendants, again I think islanders were stolen AWAY and not returned. Fiji is one place where they labored and they do have a large population of "blackbirding" descendants--from India. Cook Islanders are mostly Maori Polynesian, extremely beautiful men and women in their youth. Godlike physiques, seriously. Many of the hospitality industry workers come from Fiji, just as many Cook Islanders go to Oz or NZ to work.

Re the bush beer, yeah! fun, I hear it's VERY strong. The bush beer ceremonies are most known on Atiu and two other small islands. Atiu has interesting caves and could be a cool reward. Air Raro flies there in 16-seaters, 45 minute flight. I'm afraid the "tumunu" isn't a factor on Aitutaki--at least have not heard it mentioned.

Aitutaki doesn't have a formal blue law, or any lack of open legal drinking so they don't need an alternative. Bars can be open on Sunday, although in practice there's only one bar open on Sunday afternoon outside the high end resorts. In general Sunday is for church; Air Raro doesn't fly in or out Sunday day; and only one cruise goes out--run by a Seventh Day Adventist whose Sabbath is on Sunday.

Guess what I'm saying is that both Rarotonga and Aitutaki are very Christian islands unlike what we saw with Vanuatu. When they dance, though, they go back to their wild sensual roots, nothing the missionaries would approve about those moves.

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

05-06-06, 04:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: S13: Survivor Aitutaki Atoll"
Thanks for your answers ofg.
I was asking more for the potential "thematics" of the new season.
However, if The CookIslands were largely ignored during the "blackbirding" era then it's probably not going to be integrated into the show.
I realized at first that Vanuatu, NZ and Fiji were popular islands for blackbirding and figured that The Cooks being so "relatively" close might also have been involved. Such is not the case.

It seems that Aitutaki is a bit removed from the tumunu factor as well. Oh well.

Mutiny on the Bounty it is.

05-06-06, 11:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: S13: Survivor Aitutaki Atoll"
I can't wait to see Loser Lodge!!!

05-06-06, 05:13 PM (EST)
10. "RE: S13: Survivor Aitutaki Atoll"
hi tribe, yes, I understood you were looking for theme and I liked your ideas, so it was with regret that I had to say "probably not"--but it would be fun if they took them to another island to drink bush beer and participate in a tumunu, because I hear that local brew will knock any of us on our ass.

Re European contact for theme, if they go that way, the Bounty seems like best bet. If they go "place" alone, I would say Blue Lagoon. If they go with the local people (Maori culture), I expect they'll emphasize the sensual dancing and the historical cannibalism/fierceness of the warriors.

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

05-03-06, 10:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: S13: Survivor Aitutaki Atoll"
Cool, ofg! Thanks for the info.

LOL -- when I first saw the thread title I thought you had spoiled Aitutaki Atoll as the name of a contestant on S13.

Bridge for sale to highest bidder. Call 1-800-BRroach.

05-04-06, 07:28 PM (EST)
7. "RE: S13: Survivor Aitutaki Atoll"
Aitutaki visitor reports the BS is awn

Funny post - #34 on the page.

mll1717 74 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

05-03-06, 02:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mll1717 Click to send private message to mll1717 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: S13: Survivor Aitutaki Atoll"
OFG you are the best!! Like BR, I to thought you were spoiling a contestant (first thought was good god what nationality is that?) and not the place. The images posted of the Cooks are absolutely breath-taking. Oh, congrats on the move up to #5 over at CBS!! Season 13 should be interesting, plus 13 is my favorite number.

05-03-06, 09:19 PM (EST)
4. "RE: S13: Survivor Aitutaki Atoll"
Aw, thanks you guys! (blush)
I would never desert you for Sucks! But the thread here wasn't getting too much action. Besides, Dan's work is simply awesome.

Will come back to try and answer tribe's questions tonight.
Meanwhile, LMAO at contestant #1.

05-08-06, 03:18 AM (EST)
11. "New info"
A travel forum post with some good info. Appears the working title is Survivor Aitutaki, will that be official? (Obviously the filming will not take only 30 days, but otherwise this is great detail!) Sadly, it seems the Survivor money isn't going to those on the island who need it most. Quel surprise.

"There is no doubt in my mind that Survivor series filming will be on the motus of Aitutaki lagoon. Just arrived back from a month on Aitutaki. I saw a container ship unload its cargo at Arutanga port April 23rd, 24th and 26th. The ship did not unload cargo on the 25th as it was Anzac day. Most of what came off were Survivor containers, at least 6 large speed boats, packs of timber with Survivor Aituaki spraypainted on them, whats more is that a channel has been created near Maina sunset (Nikaupara), for their boats to easily access the lagoon.

I have spoken to locals who have been employed as labourers for the next 2-3 months. It will take 2 months to make preparations and a mere 30 days to complete the filming. I AM 100% certain that this is the location for the next Survivor series. I was told by a local official that Government which sits in Rarotonga are receiving Millions from the US company to have rights to film on Aitutaki.

The locals jointly have been given a measly $18,000 for use of land around Tautu and Nikaupara as a base for their activities. Aitutaki always gets the scraps/crumbs - I would like to see Government pump some of the millions they are receiving into better infrastructure for Aitutaki! The Araura school is falling apart, grounds are poorly kept and when i visited the school, the staffroom had no running water. I could go on but I won't."

mommamia 114 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-13-06, 03:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mommamia Click to send private message to mommamia Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: New info"
I'm loving the Cook Islands logo for next season airing in the fall even though it's using the pirate theme again. If we see some real pirating that's always a fun aspect! I wish I could upload the images!

05-13-06, 04:46 PM (EST)
13. "RE: New info"

first posted by dissimilis at Sucks who also saw bits of final tc in S12

05-13-06, 05:41 PM (EST)
15. "RE: New info"
mommamania, it's not pirates, that's the HMS Bounty mutiny they're bringing in to the theme. Cooks aren't known for pirate activity. (Even the Bounty connection is THIN)

I'm hoping they mutiny against Jeff and EPM and set Jeff and crew adrift in a boat with a compass ... see if he can get back to LA.

05-13-06, 05:34 PM (EST)
14. "Survivor Cook Islands bootleg Teaser"
VO by Probst

This fall, Survivor voyages to an isolated group of islands, named after the famous English explorer named Captain James Cook. It was the Cook Islands that played host to Captain William Bligh, just days before the infamous 'Mutiny on the Bounty'.

Now, the new Survivors will have their own adventures in this lush and exotic land. And Exile Island will return with new twists.

Who will Outwit, Outplay and Outlast all the others?
Join us this Fall for the Premiere of Survivor: Cook Islands.

I still have the promo running on my computer. Didn't take long for it to get pulled off the site, but once the video file is opened it continues to play. Points to them for maximizing the giant clam angle.

Promo beginning says it's the "Exile Version." It's possible I suppose they could go with a different version if they are really annoyed that this promo "aired" in advance, but there's no question in my mind this is a legitimate ready-to-air promo.

When I saw the Exile twist returning I groaned. Apparently they plan to use it until it somehow becomes entertaining. Good luck with that. Yawn.

Round Robin 2914 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-14-06, 01:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Round%20Robin Click to send private message to Round%20Robin Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Survivor Cook Islands bootleg Teaser"
They BETTER have a new twist to Exile Island. I don't usually like all the d@mn twists Marko uses, but to be worth a crap, Exile Island needs one badly.

coolbluepig 819 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

05-14-06, 10:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail coolbluepig Click to send private message to coolbluepig Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Survivor Cook Islands bootleg Teaser"
how many survivors are there??? they did not say it in the previews... will it be 16???

but i did a little research and wikipedia says its sixteen...

do you guys know how many survivors are there??

Co0L 3luE P1g: OINK OINK...

05-14-06, 07:13 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Survivor Cook Islands bootleg Teaser"
sorry, no one knows castaway number yet ... that I have seen.
wikipedia doesn't know anything that we don't.

Karchita 4483 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-13-06, 11:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "Not that remote ,,,"
First, I would like to say thanks and kudos to OFG for keeping us filled in on the Aitutaki season.

I also have visited the Cooks, Raro and Aitutaki, about 20 years ago. They are gorgeous and I do prefer the seasons when Survivor is on an island, but I am not sure that I like the location.

My gripe is that Aitutaki is not very remote. Even twenty years ago, there were weekly flights and a permanent village with cider block houses, a few shops, etc. There were no hotels, so we stayed with a local family, but now there are hotels, resorts, daily flights, and unmistakable tourism. There are even daily tours to the outer islands where it appears the filming takes place. Although the tours will be suspended, c'mon, that really contradicts the illusion of Survivor being in remote places. I know it is an illusion that doesn't really matter how the game is played, but does this bother anyone else?

FWIW, I have also been in the area of the site of Survivor Guatemala, and it was much more remote.

05-14-06, 00:00 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Not that remote ,,,"
I know what you mean, Karchita. A lot of it's dictated now by the size of the production (Probst or Burnett has said, forget which). I feel like the whole thing has gotten bloated. If they scaled down the equipment used in the challenges and did away with luxury rewards, perhaps they could go to a remote location, to a truly uninhabited island. Also the crew would need to go back to camping. Now they are staying in relative luxury.

Re the illusion: they have changed the jet path not to fly over the motus. They are closing down the lagoon area. The camps will be around 3-5 miles from the main island and the southern end of the island is wild and overgrown. The town and resorts are out of view. Plus it might as well be two hundred miles away when you can't get across the water.

I think it will all read well on camera, but it would be neat to think of them on some remote atoll like Pukapuka that cannot even be accessed by air.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •