The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"4 tribes and a date"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

survivorscott 2191 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

12-28-05, 09:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail survivorscott Click to send private message to survivorscott Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"4 tribes and a date"
while watching the Survivor Thailand finale on OLN they had a commercial for Exile island in which they said:

"4 tribes"
"Young vs. Old"
"Men vs Women"

and a start date of Feburay 2

so does this mean 4 old men, 4 old women, 4 young men, 4young women?

They also said "wildest challenges yet" with the loser going to Exile island. Cold tribal council actualy be held on Exile island? with the person who is banned joining a tribe after they vote someone off or do they get to watch the other tribes council which would be the "scret the island holds for winning a million dollars"?

Come in a stranger,leave a little stranger

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 Vidcaps for OLN commercial Flowerpower 12-29-05 1
   RE: Vidcaps for OLN commercial PepeLePew13 12-29-05 2
       RE: Vidcaps for OLN commercial Capn2patch 12-29-05 3
       RE: Vidcaps for OLN commercial luv 2 lurk 12-29-05 4
           RE: Vidcaps for OLN commercial tidefan1987 12-29-05 5
   RE: Vidcaps for OLN commercial tribephyl 12-29-05 7
       RE: Vidcaps for OLN commercial vince3 12-29-05 8
           Voodoo VeVe tribephyl 01-04-06 18
               RE: Voodoo VeVe Capn2patch 01-05-06 21
               Tribe names? Capn2patch 01-05-06 23
                   RE: Tribe names? Flowerpower 01-05-06 24
                       RE: Tribe names? KeithFan 01-09-06 28
 RE: 4 tribes and a date esquire 12-29-05 6
   RE: 4 tribes and a date svk 12-30-05 9
       RE: 4 tribes and a date Flowerpower 12-30-05 10
           RE: 4 tribes and a date corcam 01-02-06 11
               RE: 4 tribes and a date tribephyl 01-03-06 12
                   RE: 4 tribes and a date KeithFan 01-03-06 13
                       RE: 4 tribes and a date tribephyl 01-04-06 19
                           RE: 4 tribes and a date emydi 01-04-06 20
                               RE: 4 tribes and a date SurvivorBlows 01-10-06 34
                                   RE: 4 tribes and a date vince3 01-11-06 35
       RE: 4 tribes and a date BrassFan 01-03-06 14
           RE: 4 tribes and a date BrassFan 01-03-06 15
 RE: 4 tribes and a date mikey 01-03-06 16
   RE: 4 tribes and a date vince3 01-03-06 17
 don't know if it means anything survivorscott 01-05-06 22
   RE: don't know if it means anything Flowerpower 01-05-06 25
       RE: don't know if it means anything survivorscott 01-06-06 26
 Article from "Variety" Flowerpower 01-09-06 27
   RE: Article from "Variety" Brownroach 01-09-06 29
 S12 Article Flowerpower 01-09-06 30
   No boots in Ep #1 michel 01-09-06 31
       RE: No boots in Ep #1 Flowerpower 01-09-06 32
           RE: No boots in Ep #1 Brownroach 01-09-06 33
 Preseason Article Flowerpower 01-11-06 36
   RE: Preseason Article Brownroach 01-11-06 37
       RE: Preseason Article Flowerpower 01-11-06 38
           RE: Preseason Article Brownroach 01-11-06 39
               RE: Preseason Article Capn2patch 01-11-06 40
                   RE: Preseason Article JazzyJax 01-11-06 41

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Flowerpower 7262 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-29-05, 09:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "Vidcaps for OLN commercial"
LAST EDITED ON 12-29-05 AT 09:15 AM (EST)

Great job, Scott! Here are the vidcaps from that commercial, courtesy of Survivor Fever:

Voiceover:
JP (Voice Over):

The Ultimate Survivor is about to begin...

4 Tribes
Young vs. Old
Men vs. Women
The wildest challenges...ever!

And those who lose will have to face...Exile Island.

If you've ever watched Survivor, this is the one you've got to see from the very start.

Survivor: Exile Island, beginning Thursday, Feb. 2 only on CBS.

Just a few comments: So, four tribes of 4, 1 all male tribe, 1 all female tribe, then a tribe of 4 older Survivors and a tribe of 4 younger Survivors.(Probably split with 2men/2women each)

What is this exploding in caps 1,2,7,9,10,14,25,36, and 41?

Note all of the creepy masks in 12,44,49,51,52,53,54,57.

What is that on the forehead of the mask on 54? Is that significant at all?

I think that the eye shot of the guy on the right looks like Rino from PI in caps 17,18,19. Are all of these faces recycled or no?

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

12-29-05, 11:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Vidcaps for OLN commercial"
Thanks for the vidcaps, FP! Hard to say if that's Ryan-O's mug or someone else without seeing more of the picture.

I'm finding it hard to believe that CBS wants to pit Survivor head-to-head with the Olympics for two Thursdays. They're going to take a beating in the ratings for these two days.

Check out my Survivor Guatemala Finale episode summary

Scratch and sniff
"Tsk, tsk. Pepe's messing with the newbies again." Spidey, 3/30/05

Capn2patch 2785 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

12-29-05, 11:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Capn2patch Click to send private message to Capn2patch Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Vidcaps for OLN commercial"
I find it incredible that SEEBS would allow OLN to break the news.

luv 2 lurk 3 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

12-29-05, 12:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail luv%202%20lurk Click to send private message to luv%202%20lurk Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Vidcaps for OLN commercial"
I would like to see the tribes break down like this:

1 team of men (mixed ages)
1 team of women (mixed ages)
1 team of older (mixed gender)
1 team of younger (mixed gender)

tidefan1987 26 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

12-29-05, 12:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tidefan1987 Click to send private message to tidefan1987 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Vidcaps for OLN commercial"
I think it will do fine against the Olympics, people just aren't as into Olympics anymore, especially the winter games. Plus so many people have TIVOs and DVRs. I never watch my Survivor when it comes on at 7 pm CST, I have kids to get to bed. I wait until they are asleep and watch it without commercials.

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

12-29-05, 04:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Vidcaps for OLN commercial"
Sadly, a lot of the footage they are using for the new promo falls within the "recycled footage" aspect, used so often.

The "exploding thing" shots are recycled shots of the PearlIslands Muskat.
Notice also the prison-bars which served as a sort-of theme for the Outcast Twist.
Plus the shots that contain "eyes" are recycled as well. I see Christa, Darrah, Shawn and RyanO. All from PearlIslands.
Of course, these 4 past survivors could be included on the cast this season, since it's not unheard of for MB to pick past players to play again, but I doubt it.

I doubt there is any significance to the design on top of the skull/mask in pic 54.

vince3 17341 desperate attention whore postings

12-29-05, 10:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Vidcaps for OLN commercial"
The skull design looks like a compass mark with an hourglass design interwoven into it. Maybe at the center is the "secret to winning the million dollars" that might be on Exile Island.

01-04-06, 06:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "Voodoo VeVe"
I stumbled upon a research project while trying to decipher the "symbol" on the skull...

What I discovered is that symbols like these are called VeVe's.
They are from the Voodoo (or Vodoun) religion.
In practise they are "drawn" out on the floor with crushed eggshells, cornmeal or other dry gritty materials and are supposed to help summon certain dieties (Or Loa, as they are collectively called).
The symbol depends on the desired diety one wishes to conjure.

Although I couldn't find an exact replica of the symbol used in the promo, I did come across a couple of more-well-known dieties whose symbols came closest.

Simbi:

Loa of rainfall and fresh water, he oversees the making of charms. The water-snake loa, Simbi is one of the three cosmic serpents. His color is green and speckled roosters are sacrificed to him.

Legba:

The Haitian voodoo god who acts as an intermediary between the loa and humans. He is also the god of the crossroads; he opens the road to the spirit world. He taught mankind the use of oracles and how to interpret them.
Papa Legba is commonly depicted as an old man sprinkling water or an old man with a crutch, and is also known as Legba or Legba Ati-Bon. In any vodoun ceremony, Legba is the first loa invoked, so that he may "open the gate" for communication between the worlds. The dog is his symbolic animal.

Kalfu:

The Loa of magicians who stands in darker balance to Legba. He is the loa of night and misfortune. His symbol is the crossroads and his color is black.

I still doubt it has any relativity as to a "clue" for a secret immunity, or anything like that.
But, will moreso serve as a theatric-flourish for a Voodoo/Exile theme. (Along with skulls and shrunken heads.)

01-05-06, 10:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Capn2patch Click to send private message to Capn2patch Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Voodoo VeVe"
Interesting that the VeVe has 4 points. I wonder if this could offer a clue into the tribe names?

01-05-06, 02:08 PM (EST)
23. "Tribe names?"
Just call me DAW (following my post with one of my own).

Following up with what Tribe has discovered, these 4 terms figure prominently in the Voodoo belief and are as follows.

1. Kolam
2. Chi-Wara
3. Adinkra
4. Akua'ba

From Flowerpower: Just a few comments: So, four tribes of 4, 1 all male tribe, 1 all female tribe, then a tribe of 4 older Survivors and a tribe of 4 younger Survivors.(Probably split with 2men/2women each)

Following is some selected text. You can click each link above to learn more.

2. Chi-wara (the male - female tribe?): The Chi-wara headdress honors the mythical antelope who brought farming to the Bamana people of Mali. An important ritual implement, the Chiwara headress is worn in ritual dances, always in male/female pairs.

4. Akua'ba (the all woman tribe?): The Akua'ba is a carved figure used by the African Ashanti tribe as a talisman to promote fertility and and to protect pregnant women. A woman carries a blessed doll on her person, and dresses and cares for it as one would a real child.

01-05-06, 02:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Tribe names?"
EXCELLENT work Tribe and Cap'n! I think you both have stumbled on to something here. With all of the shrunken heads and masks that are all over the promos for Exile Island, I think that the theme will indeed carry into the Voodoo cult/sect. I think any one of those terms that you've discovered could very well be tribe names!

Intriguing how voodoo will weave its way into the new Survivor! Wonder if Danielle proportedly doesn't like astronaut guy because of all of those needles he's stuck into her, in one way or another??

KeithFan 7422 desperate attention whore postings

01-09-06, 09:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KeithFan Click to send private message to KeithFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Tribe names?"
Let's just hope we don't have Joanna redux!

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. ~ Mark Twain

esquire 1095 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

12-29-05, 04:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail esquire Click to send private message to esquire Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: 4 tribes and a date"
The problem with 4 tribes of 4 is that after 2 weeks you need to plan for a tribal shakeup or risk having a tribe go to TC with only 2 members (if the same tribe keeps losing). I don't think anyone really likes a person being knocked out of the game that wearly without being voted out, so I think we can expect a quick tribal merge

svk 22 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

12-30-05, 11:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail svk Click to send private message to svk Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: 4 tribes and a date"
There are several problems with 4 tribes of 4 when it comes to the competitions. By the second reward challenge you have to sit 3 players out to even the teams at 3 each. Can you say boring.

1 idea: before each challenge the tribes are randomly combined to form 2 teams. The winning team (2 tribes) share the winnings (reward or immunity) The losing team (2 tribes) share the lose (get no reward or go to TC).

At TC the person with the most votes is out of the game.
The person with 2nd most votes is exiled, until their tribe wins a challenge.

This format has several advantages:
1) challanges keep the standard format of 2 teams, with a clear winner and looser, no 2nd/3rd place.
2) no need for extra votes to exile someone.
3) schedule for voting out players remains the same.
3) keeps challenges interesting, since the tribe you beat in one challenge, may be the tribe you play with in the next.
4) has the effect of mixing up the tribes at each TC, since you can find yourself at TC with a different tribe each time.

Thoughts...

12-30-05, 11:50 AM (EST)
10. "RE: 4 tribes and a date"
Good thoughts there, svk! There seems to be quite a bit of spec as to how these 4 tribes of 4 could work. Don't forget the commercials say that more than one can go to exile island each week, perhaps an entire tribe of four could even be banned for a stretch? I do think the effort will be made to reduce the chance for early alliances....should be fun!

corcam 374 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

01-02-06, 11:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail corcam Click to send private message to corcam Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: 4 tribes and a date"
So I am confused a little here... what else is new... one thing on the site here says it is going to premiere on March 2nd after the olympics rap up putting the finale around may 21st and in this thread it says Feb 2nd..

would someone like to fill me in lol TY

01-03-06, 04:04 AM (EST)
12. "RE: 4 tribes and a date"
one thing on the site here says it is going to premiere on March 2nd after the olympics rap up putting the finale around may 21st and in this thread it says Feb 2nd..

I believe the March 2nd start date was just conjecture (based upon the S4 start date, which happened to be after the winter olympics.)
Which is a quite logical conclusion to come to.

However, the recently aired promos shown on OutdoorLifeNetwork "confirmed" the Feb. 2nd start date.

So it looks like it's happening sooner than we think.
Unless CBS has misinformed their friends at OLN.

MB vs. The WinterOlympics: Thank gawd for DVR!

KeithFan 7422 desperate attention whore postings

01-03-06, 08:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KeithFan Click to send private message to KeithFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: 4 tribes and a date"
So this means we are going to be subjected to a recrap, and maybe even a "to be continued" episode?

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. ~ Mark Twain

01-04-06, 07:04 PM (EST)
19. "RE: 4 tribes and a date"
I have a feeling the answer is yes. A Recrap, a "to be cont.." or a, gawd forbid, "outcast resurrection" will have to take place.

I did a search for the current sweeps period calendar and here is what I found out.

It seems that with only 13 episodes, Survivor can start and end just on the cusp of both FebruarySweeps and MaySweeps.
Due to the fact that the May Sweeps will begin on the 27th of April.

February 2006
February 2 - March 1, 2006
210 NSI Markets

May 2006
April 27 - May 24, 2006
210 NSI Markets

A cast of sixteen, with 1 boot every week, would be done in 12 episodes. So an extra episode of some kind will have to take place in order to have the finale on the 27th.
Plus if MB wants to take advantage of any more than a single week of sweeps he's gonna have to come up with a couple additional episodes.

MB could always pull a "LOST hiatus" that leaves us stranded for weeks of reruns and recraps, then picks up again in a month or so.
I'd feel the need to cause him harm, but he could do it.

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

01-04-06, 08:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: 4 tribes and a date"
I was surprised by this announcement, it seemed pretty logical to start on 3/2/06...I'm sure they'll confirm on TES on 1/9/06 when they announce the cast...

If it does start on 2/2, they could (for a change) take the 2 weeks off during NCAA March Madness, instead of airing on Weds.

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

01-10-06, 02:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: 4 tribes and a date"
Sorry, I somehow missed this thread until now.

CBS decision to go with a February 2 instead of March 2 date was a bit of a surprise -- like tribephyl mentioned, the March 2 date was just media speculation, it certainly wasn't baseless speculation, and there was a sound basis behind it:

1) there had been numerous industry trade reports talking about the other networks trying to avoid NBC's Olympic programming and programming around its 17-day Olympics programming block

2) the last time the Olympics aired four years ago, CBS delayed Survivor's premiere to avoid them (Survivor: Marquesas' February 28 premiere still ranks on the show's latest spring premiere ever)

3) March 2 was the first Thursday after the Olympics

4) March 2 was the latest the show could premiere and still end by the end of May sweeps (assuming a 13-episode season that, like every season for the last few years, featured a Sunday night finale)

5) A March 2 premiere would keep CBS from having to run Survivor against ABC's Dancing with the Stars 2 (which airs its finale on February 23, the previous Thursday)

6) A March 2 premiere would allow CBS to have one less American Idol semifinals results show to worry about airing against (Idol will air three Thursday 8-9PM results shows beginning February 23.)

All told, a March 2 date made a lot of sense -- and much more than, at first glance, a February 2 date makes.

Unless the show goes on hiatus for a few weeks or adds several episodes beyond the 13-episode run that you'd normally expect in a 16 contestant season, a 13-episode season capped by a Sunday finale will put the show's finale on April 23 -- four days before the April 27-May 24 sweeps period begins.

Even if you assume that NBC moves The Apprentice to Wednesday this spring and CBS then feels it's safe to once again air a Thursday night finale (and sacrifice CSI and Without a Trace's even higher ratings in the process -- which I doubt), that still means that Survivor's finale airs on the first day of the sweeps period.

Based on yesterday's February 2 premiere announcement, I think there are five possibilities:

1) Survivor: Panama will see a recap episode and several other twists that extend its run beyond the 13-episode length that's been typical of 16-contestant seasons.

2) Survivor: Panama will be preempted for a few weeks during its run (maybe no March Madness move to Wednesdays?)

3) CBS has something bigger than Survivor: Panama that it wants to air during May sweeps

4) CBS suddenly doesn't care about the all-important May sweeps ratings period and will simply air programming filler during the hour

5) Some combination of more than one or all of the above

Personally, I'm beginning to wonder if the answer might not be #3 -- the Television Critics Association's January Press Tour presentations are starting to happen so if it is #3, we should probably know in the next few days.

01-11-06, 07:04 AM (EST)
Click to EMail vince3 Click to send private message to vince3 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: 4 tribes and a date"
At the very least, supposedly the first elimination will not happen until the 2nd show, after the 4 tribes become 2 after the "school-yard pick'em". That will put it just within the sweeps week, if they move to Wednesday during March Madness.

BrassFan 326 desperate attention whore postings

01-03-06, 11:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BrassFan Click to send private message to BrassFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: 4 tribes and a date"
>1 idea: before each challenge
>the tribes are randomly combined
>to form 2 teams.
>The winning team (2 tribes)
>share the winnings (reward or
>immunity) The losing team
>(2 tribes) share the lose
>(get no reward or go
>to TC).

I like this, except I'd change one thing...Have the losing tribe(s) go to tribal council and vote off one member, it can be a member from either of the two tribes.....

Have the winning tribe vote one member to go to exile island. That person comes back and watches the next challenge, but doesn't participate. After the next challenge, the winning team votes a person to exile island, and the former "exiled" person replaces him/her. The end result is that the tribes are constantly being shuffled....

It ends up totally changing the way the game is played, since you can't count on your alliance holding strong more than a couple of days....

BrassFan 326 desperate attention whore postings

01-03-06, 11:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail BrassFan Click to send private message to BrassFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: 4 tribes and a date"
another thought....

The logistics of showing us four tribes at four camps, PLUS exile island could make a one hour show difficult....

So, how about this...Two tribes live at one camp, and two tribes live at another....This allows two tribes to bond....But, at a set point (and totally unknown to the contestants), two of the tribes will switch camps....

So, say, for the first 12 days, tribes A and B live together at campsite 1. Tribes C and D live together at campsite 2. After the reward challenge, tribe D is told to go to campsite 1, and B goes to campsite 2.

If they did something like this, plus rotated the exiled person to a different tribe, no one would ever feel safe making an alliance again....

mikey 1150 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-03-06, 03:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mikey Click to send private message to mikey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: 4 tribes and a date"
"Young vs. Old"

Looks like they are doing the ex-NFL quarterback thing again with Steve Young.

(As for "Old" -- perhaps Vinny Testaverde)

01-03-06, 04:08 PM (EST)
17. "RE: 4 tribes and a date"
>"Young vs. Old"

>Looks like they are doing the ex-NFL quarterback thing again with Steve Young.

>(As for "Old" -- perhaps Vinny Testaverde)

*snicker x 2* **rimshot**

01-05-06, 11:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail survivorscott Click to send private message to survivorscott Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "don't know if it means anything"
But during the Survivor Amazon showings on OLN, the date only said February, and not a specific date

01-05-06, 02:49 PM (EST)
25. "RE: don't know if it means anything"
Scott: Here's the final vidcap from the commercial that aired on OLN...

Also, CBS is rumored to be announcing the cast for S12 on Monday, Jan.9 on the Early Show.

01-06-06, 05:33 PM (EST)
26. "RE: don't know if it means anything"
I saw that one during the Thailand Finale, but during the Amazon premiere the date only said february

01-09-06, 07:01 AM (EST)
27. "Article from "Variety""
Here's an article from "Variety":

The locale may look a tad familiar, but the twist behind the next edition of "Survivor" is all new.

Exec producer Mark Burnett and his team once again traveled to Panama for the 12th edition of the hit CBS reality skeinskein, but they dreamed up a new wrinkle as yet another round of contestants scheme, lie and backstab to win the $1 million prize.

"Survivor: Panama -- Exile Island," which launches Feb. 2 at 8 p.m., will kick off for the first time with four tribes, divided by age and gender.

The show's older men, older women, younger men and younger women will go toe-to-toe for at least the first week of the competition. The four tribes then will reform into two in the second episode.

In the edition's other spin, one castaway each week will be banished alone to a separate island, where they'll have a shot at actually prolonging their stay on the show by finding a hidden "immunity idol."

This edition's round of contestants, which CBS will announce Monday, include several players who have already seen their fair share of the public spotlight. Southern California is also well represented, with five contestants hailing from the region. Castaways include retired astronaut Dan Barry, who flew on three Space Shuttle missions, including the first to dock with the Intl. Space Station.

There's also North Carolina native Austin Carty, who has appeared on the WB's "One Tree Hill" and ABC Family's "Switched" and wrote the book "Somewhere Beyond Here." Another player, Tina Scheer, is a logging sports promoter and performer who has been featured in magazines such as Sports Illustrated.

Other contestants include a retired Navy fighter pilot, a registered nurse, a yoga instructor, a performance artist, a singer, a social worker and a high school art teacher.

"Survivor" previously traveled to Panama for seasons seven ("Pearl Islands") and eight ("All-Stars").

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

01-09-06, 11:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Article from "Variety""
In the edition's other spin, one castaway each week will be banished alone to a separate island, where they'll have a shot at actually prolonging their stay on the show by finding a hidden "immunity idol."

I wonder if the exiles might be voluntary, or the result of some kind of random drawing, at least to start. The possiblity of finding the immunity idol seems like an incentive of sorts -- to be weighed against the risk of people plotting against you back at camp. It may play out as something other than a punishment for, say, messing up in a challenge.

We did hear from CO that they are still using Exile Island at the time of the family reward. That could signify that the idol had not been used by that point.

Bridge for sale to highest bidder. Call 1-800-BRroach.

01-09-06, 02:39 PM (EST)
30. "S12 Article"
From CelebritySpider:

CBS Announces the 16 New Castaways for Survivor Panama: Exile Island 1/9/06

Sixteen New Castaways Set To Compete When The 12th Installment Of The Hit Television Series Premieres on Thursday, Feb. 2

Each Week, At Least One Castaway Will Be Banished To Fend For Themselves On A Separate Island

CBS today announced 16 new castaways to compete in Survivor: Panama - Exile Island. The castaways will begin as four tribes and at least one castaway each week will be banished to a separate island when the 12th installment of the Emmy Award-winning, top-rated series premieres Thursday, Feb. 2 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Survivor Panama - Exile Island, hosted by Jeff Probst, will find the 16 new castaways initially divided into four tribes of four -- Older Men vs. Older Woman vs. Younger Men vs. Younger Women (the four tribes will become two during a schoolyard pick in the second episode). During the duration of Survivor Panama: Exile Island, at least one castaway each episode will be banished to a separate island miles away from camp. While being separated from the tribe is not desirable, the castaways will learn that there is a hidden Immunity Idol somewhere on Exile Island. If found, this Immunity Idol could save an individual from being voted out at a future Tribal Council.

In the premiere episode, the four tribes will compete in a Reward Challenge where the losing tribe must decide which one of their tribe members will stay behind on Exile Island. This individual will be forced to fend for themselves until the next Immunity Challenge, but they will also have the first opportunity to locate the whereabouts of the Hidden Immunity Idol.

posted by mekala.

Thought I'd bring this over as well. I've highlighted some areas of interest.

fp

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

01-09-06, 03:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "No boots in Ep #1"
FP: The last paragraph of the article you've posted seems to mean no one will be booted in the first episode, only exiled. It would make for the extra episode needed to last as long as the last seasons without a recrap.

01-09-06, 03:27 PM (EST)
32. "RE: No boots in Ep #1"
Definately been wondering about that myself, michel....since they are going ahead and starting the series on Feb. 2, I'm thinking this first ep could possibly be a "2 parter/to be continued ep" perhaps...

01-09-06, 04:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: No boots in Ep #1"
It being a two-parter makes sense to me, FP.

They have to take time to cover four tribes, so the first Ep could end after the RC and the banishment of one person to Exile Island.

Part Two (Episode Two) shows the Exile Island segment and then the tribes meet up and do the new tribe pick-em in time for the IC. Thus, by the time of the first TC and the first boot, they've been rearranged into two tribes.

The idea of only four people voting at the early TCs seemed pretty weird (not to mention dull); this seems more logical.

01-11-06, 07:17 AM (EST)
36. "Preseason Article"
Got this from Survivor Fever:

CBS Sends 'Survivor' into 'Exile' (Zap2It 1.10.06)

Zap2It is reporting that in the Survivor: Panama premiere (Feb. 2) the four tribes will start off with a reward challenge, with the losing team having to decide which of its members is banished. That person will then have to compete solo in the first immunity battle:

For its 12th installment, "Survivor" is returning to the number of contestants -- 16 -- it used in its first several seasons, and it's headed back to Panama, site of the "Pearl Islands" season. But little else about the start of the game will be the same.
For starters, the contestants, who range in age from 24 to 58 and include a retired astronaut, a yoga instructor and a logging-sports promoter and performer, will be divided into four tribes of four in the first episode -- older men, older women, younger men and younger women. Then there's the big wrinkle that gives this season its name: "Survivor: Panama -- Exile Island."

During each episode, at least one player will be banished to "Exile Island," a mini-Elba miles away from the team camps. In addition to being removed from the group dynamics of the game, exiles will have to fend for themselves while on the island. There is, however, a hidden immunity idol on the island that they can use at a future tribal council.

In the premiere, scheduled for Thursday, Feb. 2 (the first night of February sweeps), the four tribes will start off with a reward challenge, with the losing team having to decide which of its members is banished. That person will then have to compete solo in the first immunity battle.
The four tribes will become two in the show's second episode. Jeff Probst, newly signed to stay with "Survivor" through the game's 16th installment, returns as host.

Highlighted the new info....How the heck is this going to work..."the exiled one returns to participate in the IC as an individual, while the rest are competing as tribes??? Doesn't make sense to me!

01-11-06, 10:29 AM (EST)
37. "RE: Preseason Article"
So does this mean there *is* going to be an IC and boot in Ep 1? The sequence of the article makes it sound like the first IC is before they merge into 2 tribes in Ep 2.

01-11-06, 12:11 PM (EST)
38. "RE: Preseason Article"
So does this mean there *is* going to be an IC and boot in Ep 1? The sequence of the article makes it sound like the first IC is before they merge into 2 tribes in Ep 2.

Yes, I think it does mean that, BR. To me it sounds like the 4 tribes of 4 will be introduced and we'll see them all off trying to make shelters, etc. Then there will be the big RC, where the losing tribe has to go off and decide who will be the banished one. We'll see the reward given and applied and we'll see the exiled one off on the island. There will be a day or more till the IC and we'll see lots of cuts to the exiled one. Then on day 3 there will be the IC, where the exiled one returns and has to compete as an individual, while all others compete in their groups. The loser then will go to TC and the first castaway is voted out....

Then episode 2 begins with Jiffy calling them all together and telling them they are now merging into 2 traditional tribes via a school yard pick'em scenario and the rest of the episode unfolds in traditional survivor fashion.

Do you think that the first ep is still a 2 parter, ep 1A and ep 1B? Still sounds like way too much....OR....could the first episode be a 2 hour premier? That should be able to cover it as well? My money is on the 2 hour premier???

01-11-06, 12:43 PM (EST)
39. "RE: Preseason Article"
LAST EDITED ON 01-11-06 AT 12:44 PM (EST)

The Zap2It article says the episode *starts* with the reward challenge. Wickchix was told that there is a 2-day (or lengthy, I guess) hike to the camps at the beginnning, a la Guatemala. So, my questions are:

Is the challenge we are seeing in the preview the RC, after which someone is banished, and after which they have the trek to the camps? If so, is anyone missing from the camp shots (presumably the exilee)?

-- OR --

Could the hike to camp be the RC (again, the losing tribe should have someone missing from the camp shots then), making the raft challenge the Ep 1 IC? I don't see any II in the challenge caps, nor is it apparent that anyone is competing individually.

It's somewhat confusing. If there is to be an IC and boot in Ep 1 it must cover 3 days. So, not a two-part episode, but maybe a two hour premiere, unless they already announced it as one hour.

And just how is this individual vs. tribal immunity competition going to work? If the exilee wins individual immunity, it means what exactly for everyone else?

01-11-06, 12:55 PM (EST)
40. "RE: Preseason Article"
Has it been said anywhere that they are competing for II during the first IC or that the exilee will compete as an individual?

IMO, it would make sense that they are competing as individuals for the first IC if they plan on having a pickem' with the first 2 finishers acting as team captains and initiating the first pick.

JazzyJax 531 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

01-11-06, 02:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail JazzyJax Click to send private message to JazzyJax Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
41. "RE: Preseason Article"
I wonder if the article simply typo'd that section and it became the "first individual IC" because the banishee gets to look for the individual II on exile island for the first time?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •