The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Opening Credits Spoiler"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

XC 10 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-09-05, 04:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail XC Click to send private message to XC Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Opening Credits Spoiler"
Hey Everyone. I've been lurking since the Amazon but haven't really felt the need to post anything spoiler worthy until now. I've never really put a lot of faith into the spoilers but I have always invested a lot of my attention into the editing, especially the editing of the opening credits. This season's editing has been driving me crazy so I thought that I could rely on something that I have always relied on in the past. The opening credits are the only part of the season that we see every week, so the editors obviously put a lot of care into how each survivor is reflected through them. I've looked through vidcaps of the openings throughout the seasons and have honestly pegged the winner because of the techniques used through the opening.

Although each season has its own tricks and unique attributes to the opening there is a basic framework that stands throught the seasons. Ever since thailand, the show intro has become formulized - every character has an action shot followed by a still photo. what the editors do with the action and still shot is the most telling.

Water - maybe its the whole "fire represents life" metaphor, but when the action shot is of the survivor swimming, they're toast. Examples of this is Eliza from Vanuatu (F4), Shawn from Pearl Islands (screwed by outcast twist) and Caryn from Palau (F5). The winner has never been shown swimming.

The Marooning - When the survivor's action shot is from the marooning, that is not good sign. Examples of this is Jolanda from Palau (first voted out), Burton from Pearl Islands (Outcast & F5) and Julie from Vanuatu (F5).

Challenge shots - There are two types of actions shots that editors use for the survivors' action shots. the first type of shots are blatently in challenge. examples of these are Leanne from Vanuatu (F7), Jenn from Palau (F4) and T from Pearl Islands (F7). this type of action shots are cursed as well. The other type of challenge shots are not cursed. these are the shots that at first glance do not seem to be in challenge, but through further investigation, they are. Sandra from Pearl Islands is an example of this. Her action shot is her walking cautiously through the jungle. At first I didnt recognize this to be in challenge but after watching the premier again, I realized that it was taken during the first reward challenge. My theory is that these shots do not high light the challenge themselves, but the character instead, so they are exceptions to the rule.

So what constitutes as a promising action shot?

Camp life - this is the most promising. Mark Burnett likes his winners to excell in the challenges, in the manipulation and in the survival aspects. Individuals who are shown in camp life shots are are usually fan favorites and the winner. examples are Steph from Palau (F7), Matt from Amazon (F2), Jenna from Amazon (winner), Chris from Vanuatu (Winner) and Tom from Palau (Winner). of course there are some exceptions, but these types are usually out really early: Brook from Vanuatu and Kim from Palau.

Still shots

for some seasons the still photos have been focused on infront of two different backgrounds:

Outback - Rocks/survivor logo
Thailand - Water running over photo/fire
Pearl Islands - Skull and cross bones/map
Vanuatu - Tiki/survivor logo on torch

When this occurs the winner is always in the minority of the two types. Tina was in the survivor logo group, Brian's picture was focused on infront of flames, Sandra's pic was infront of a map of the pearl islands and chris' pic was aken with a torch behind it.

Throughout the opening there are animal, scenery and tribe shots. these play a role according to the season as well. one rule that is always consistant since Marquesas is the "16 castaways" rule. When the opening credits show the "16/18 castaways" it is juxtaposed infront of the marooning of one of the tribes. The winner does not come from that tribe.

Marquesas - Rotu rowing to shore
Thailand - Sook Jai rowing to shore
Amazon - (Exception) first shows Tambaqui rowing then Jaburu
Pearl Islands - Morgan jumping off of the boat
All-Stars - Saboga walking onto shore

Vanuatu and Palau had the whole cast marooned together although the winner is except from these shots.

Now each season is unique and so are the openings. This is where the past can't help you find clues. only the season's themes can.

Examples:
Amazon - the Animal imagery
throughout the opening credits there are shots of birds catching fish. this is significant because Jaburu is the name of a bird in the amazon and Tambaqui is a type of fish. this imagery implies that a woman from jaburu will win the season. Which woman? Jenna is the only female who's action shot is her fishing. This is completely unique to the amazon, but that is what convinced me that she was the winner.

Pearl Islands - comparison of the first bootee and the winner
Nicole and Sandra's action shots are very similar. Both women are walking cautiously through the jungle in the first imunity challenge. The difference between the two is their still photo. sandra has the special background and nicole has the skull and cross bones.

All-Stars - Inversion
The usual order of the survivor's introduction is action shot and then photo. Tina, the first bootee, had her introduction inverted. Amber and Rob (Final 2) also had their's inverted. this gave away that one of these two would win the game. Amber is pegged the winner through this theory because Rob's action shot is mid-challenge while Amber's is a post challenge victory.

Vanuatu - comparison of the first bootee and the winner
The opening for Vanuatu is the best example of opening credits spoiling. nearly every survivor's placement of this season can be analyzed through the credits. Why Chris won is because of his comparison to Brook, the first bootee. of all the survivors, these are the only two shown in camp life shots which is unusual of a season. Chris is also shown with the logo behind his name along with Eliza, Lisa and Chad. Eliza wasn't a contender because her action shot is her swimming, Lisa's is her mid challenge and Chad is swimming as well.

Palau - The Pairs
During Koror's only pre-merge tribal council Katie revealed the tribes pairs. the opening credits did so as well. the pairs of the tribe are revealed as: Coby/Janu, Willard/Caryn, Tom/Wanda, Katie/Ian, Gregg/Jenn. Now, Tom and Wanda were never a pair. The credits imply that Tom is alone since Wanda never even made it onto the tribe. Even though the pairs were revealed differently in ep 5 (Ian/Tom with Katie alone) at the end of the season Ian clearly showed his devotion to Katie over Tom, giving her his place in the final two.

So what about Guatemala?
I don't know who is going to win yet, but I know who isn't gong to for sure.

Water - the following are shown swimming in their action shots:
Gary, Steph, Brandon

Challenge - the following are shown CLEARLY mid-challenge
Brianna, Jamie, Morgan, Lydia, Blake, Cindy and Bobby Jon

Camp Life - Camp life is a good sign - Brian is shown collecting branches, Brooke is shown trekking through the jungle and Jim is shown trying to get the flint to work.

Special Background -
The majority of survivor's have their pics infront of some plants with reeds running over their pic. Gary, Brian, Brandon and Judd instead have water running over their photos. This is not as bold as the special backgrounds of the past seasons so I don't really know how much validity this holds for this season.

the 16 castaways rule - this season the sixteen castaways is shown over Nakum. The winner is not from nakum. so who does that leave as possible canidates?

The editing of the opening credits favor Brian, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rafe or Amy won either.

Brian's action shot is of camp life which is a very good sign. his still pic is in the minority group whcih is promising as well.

Rafe's action shot, although techniqually in challenge, is more like Sandra's, where the challenge is not part of the shot, it just happens to be during the challenge (to see the opposite of this look at Lydia).

Amy's action shot is her post challenge drinking water. Her still photo is very unique in that it is the only one that starts far away from the pic and then zooms in. Leanne from Vanuatu had a similar intro where her pic fell from the screen, but in that case it was used as foreshadowing of her downfall leading to chris' win. I don't know what Amy's zoom in implies.

I strongly believe that the opening credits are a valuable resource for information and I stand by my picks for the season's win: Brian is my first pick with Rafe or Amy support too.

Survivorphoenix.com has a great archive of past season's opening credits. check them out.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Opening Credits Spoiler Flowerpower 10-09-05 1
   RE: Opening Credits Spoiler montanagirl 10-21-05 16
 RE: Opening Credits Spoiler Scarlett O Hara 10-09-05 2
   RE: Opening Credits Spoiler Scarlett O Hara 10-10-05 3
   RE: Opening Credits Spoiler XC 10-10-05 4
   RE: Opening Credits Spoiler NineTen 10-13-05 5
   RE: Opening Credits Spoiler Flowerpower 12-07-05 23
 RE: Opening Credits Spoiler Outfrontgirl 10-13-05 6
   RE: Opening Credits Spoiler XC 10-14-05 7
   RE: Opening Credits Spoiler Flowerpower 12-07-05 22
 RE: Opening Credits Spoiler Loquatrix 10-14-05 8
   RE: Opening Credits Spoiler Flowerpower 10-15-05 11
       RE: Opening Credits Spoiler Loquatrix 10-15-05 12
       RE: Opening Credits Spoiler XC 10-15-05 13
           RE: Opening Credits Spoiler justwrong 12-08-05 29
               RE: Opening Credits Spoiler Outfrontgirl 12-11-05 32
 RE: Opening Credits Spoiler FriendsFanatic1986 10-14-05 9
   RE: Opening Credits Spoiler Flowerpower 12-07-05 21
 RE: Opening Credits Spoiler KObrien_fan 10-15-05 10
 RE: Opening Credits Spoiler Outfrontgirl 10-21-05 14
   RE: Opening Credits Spoiler architecturegirl 10-21-05 15
 RE: Opening Credits Spoiler XC 12-07-05 17
   RE: Opening Credits Spoiler dabo 12-07-05 18
   RE: Opening Credits Spoiler Georgianna 12-07-05 19
   RE: Opening Credits Spoiler architecturegirl 12-07-05 20
       RE: Opening Credits Spoiler XC 12-07-05 24
           RE: Opening Credits Spoiler Surviette 12-08-05 28
   RE: Opening Credits Spoiler Outfrontgirl 12-08-05 25
       RE: Opening Credits Spoiler Flowerpower 12-08-05 26
       RE: Opening Credits Spoiler emydi 12-08-05 27
           RE: Opening Credits Spoiler Outfrontgirl 12-11-05 31
 RE: Opening Credits Spoiler XC 12-11-05 30
   RE: Opening Credits Spoiler Flowerpower 12-11-05 33
 RE: Opening Credits Spoiler Flowerpower 12-12-05 34

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Flowerpower 7262 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-09-05, 05:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
LAST EDITED ON 10-09-05 AT 07:51 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 10-09-05 AT 07:48 PM (EST)

Welcome to the boards, XC! Wow, you have been lurking a long time! You've really devoted alot of time and effort to this and I find it fascinating! Thanks so much for your input! In a season where the info we are receiving is somewhat shaky, I'm willing to lend credence to your theory! Thanks for sharing!

fp

ETA: Some pics:

Intro begins and here is the "18 Castaways" over the Nakum Tribe:

Then Gary is the first survivor:

Then there is a snake between Gary and Brianna and then Brianna:

Then immediately there is Rafe:

Then there are shots of a monkey and then the sun and then Amy:

As you noted, Amy is the only Survivor who appears in a small box and enlargens, so it's as though she is highlighted some way...then she is followed by clear skies...note that she is one of the few or perhaps the only one that is preceded by sun and followed by clear skies...

Then there is Jamie:

then immediately there is Morgan:

Then immediately there is Lydia:

Lydia is the only one who goes in and out and in focus again...., and she is followed by a leopard and then there is Brian:

then clouds appear and "39 Days" appears, and then Nakum. First there is a croc and then Brandon:

then immediately there is Danni:

After Danni there are clear skies and then Blake:

Then there is a snake and then Brooke:

Note that Brooke is in a "camp shot", as was Brian. Then there is Judd:

Then there are clear skies and then Margaret:

Then there are pics of the ruins and then Jim. Note that Margaret, along with Amy are both preceeded and followed by a scene of some sort, which is different than ever other survivor.
Then there is Jim:

then there are pics of a girls back end, running and then there is Cindy:

Okay: I have noted a few things. Concerning the first pic of the survivors, their action shots: Gary, Brianna, Jamie, and Brandon are in the midst of a water challenge while these survivors are in the midst of a land challenge, but it's clearly in the challenge: Judd, Rafe, Lydia, Cindy, Blake, and Margaret. Amy is clearly pictured after the challenge and drinking water. Danni is at a challenge, but not really doing anything. While Brian, Brooke and Jim are shot at camp.

Now for the other pic of the survivors Cindy, Jim, Margaret, Brooke, Blake, Danni, Lydia, Jamie, Ami, Rafe, and Brianna are all there with the reeds in front and around their shots. Amy starts in a small framed photo that gets bigger and bigger. In water are Judd, Brandon, Morgan, and Gary.

Now what is around Brian's frame, is that fire? Fire is Life? I'd be tempted to think Brian could be special somehow!
Very interesting indeed!

montanagirl 69 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-21-05, 04:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail montanagirl Click to send private message to montanagirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
Just another observation: Judd, Margaret, Amy, and Rafe all have mud on them from the Tugging challange. Margaret and Judd are COVERED with the stuff while Amy's face only has a little mud on it and Rafe's face has one big smudge that looks more like warpaint. Rafe also looks tougher than you would ever think he could be in his shot.

I think Amy is getting a unique intro shot due to her perserverence under pressure - continuing to play while injured, she has made herself stand out. But we have to note that although she is pictured in the reeds, her still shot is WET. Not a good sign.

With Brian/Brooke/Jim starting with camp shots, this probably isn't a good sign, as they are all gone at this point. I am also thinking that the shot of Danni is a camp shot - wouldn't she be wearing a bikini top or bra under her buff at a challenge?

-montanagirl

Scarlett O Hara 3439 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-09-05, 07:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Scarlett%20O%20Hara Click to send private message to Scarlett%20O%20Hara Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
LAST EDITED ON 10-10-05 AT 11:15 AM (EST)

Welcome to the Boards, XC! Wow, that is interesting stuff! Wouldn't that be something if you figured it out! Time will tell. Thanks for contributing -- I agree with FP -- it is fascinating stuff and something I've always wondered about.

ETA: Here are some more vidcaps of the opening sequence. FP inadvertently left out Stephanie and BJ. Here they are:

First, Stephanie is shown in the water in a water challenge:
Her second shot:

Her shots come inbetween Morgan and Lydia.

BJ is the last survivor shown and he is first shown in a challenge:

I think his second picture background is similar to Brian's. I also do not think Brian is in front of fire. I think that is a grassy area behind Brian that has areas of bright sunlight in it. The water running over the photo, IMHO, makes it appear to be on fire. Here are two more shots of Brian:

Lastly, here is a very interesting shot of BJ's silhouette on the Ruins. It comes at the end of the opening sequence.

You can tell by the way he is standing that it is indeed, BJ.

Oh, and another thing that I found interesting is the comparison between how they showed the two tribal flags/symbols:
Yaxha:

and Nakum:

The Nakum flag/symbol is burning. Fire is life? ...

Scarlett O Hara 3439 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

10-10-05, 12:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Scarlett%20O%20Hara Click to send private message to Scarlett%20O%20Hara Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
Bumping -- I think this is worthy of some of our speculation!

10-10-05, 04:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail XC Click to send private message to XC Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
hey scarlett.

I think bobby jon is definitly in the reeds group and brian is in the water group (which is the minority). I don't think either of them have special still shots. My thoughts are that Ami is the only one with a special photo - whether or not its a winning type of special...i dunno.

I spent some time looking into the tribe names in the credits and most of the tribe names are revealed very similarly. the only season that is really noticable is pearl islands. Drake's name is revealed on a fancy, age of exploration-esque map while drake is revealed on a life preserver. obvious symbolism of Morgan's patheticness.

for this season i see nakum in the same sense as i do morgan. fire does represent life BUT flag burning is never a good sign.

regarding bobby jon as the sole survivor - Mark Burnett would never give away the winner in the intro.

NineTen 986 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

10-13-05, 06:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NineTen Click to send private message to NineTen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
Very interesting speculation! I had a bunch of comments about this thread, but the first is about someone on Nakum not being the winner because they were shown underneath the 18 castaways wording, and now the word Nakum is lit up (fire=life), since there was a shift in tribes, maybe the winner is now on Nakum and wasn't before???

12-07-05, 03:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
The Nakum flag/symbol is burning. Fire is life? ...

The flag burning definately looks like fire is indeed life with the prospective winner perhaps from Nakum....or will XC's theory hold out and our winner will be one of the original Yaxha's???

Christmas:

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

10-13-05, 07:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
I'm mostly posting to say fantastic work XC, great research, and thanks to Flowerpower and Scarlett for adding pics.

I kind of like Cindy's pic. What do you think? The emphasis is big on challenges this season. Might challenges have more value than usual? Brian and Amy's pixs are very interesting.

My favorite for now as at least F@ is Rafe. I have this idea that is probably all wrong that Rafe, Cindy, Steph, and Danni do really well. That Danni perhaps goes on an immunity run. I have also had a sense that Lydia and Judd could do pretty well although Judd is so not winning. But I think he could have a Big Tom sort of longevity.

AMY -- well she has certainly been given a TOUGH RESILIENT editing that is very positive, so who knows? Brain I would like to see continue on but it's hard to imagine him lasting longer (or as long as) Cesternino.

Anyway, very interesting and I will be watching. I really enjoy the way you present the theory.

10-14-05, 09:31 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
thanks OFG. it means something hearing it from the one who pegged the OFG boot theory.

I can't described how scared I was that Brian was gonn abe voted off last night. i was thinking "there goes my entire theory!!" but he pulled through.

I can't wait to see how this pans out.

12-07-05, 03:19 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
My favorite for now as at least F@ is Rafe. I have this idea that is probably all wrong that Rafe, Cindy, Steph, and Danni do really well. That Danni perhaps goes on an immunity run. I have also had a sense that Lydia and Judd could do pretty well although Judd is so not winning. But I think he could have a Big Tom sort of longevity.

WOW, OFG! You nailed it all the way back in mid October! What led you there? Was it Veruca's thread, reading spoilers...just your gut?! I'm finding it fascinating to review this thread!

Christmas:

Loquatrix 640 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

10-14-05, 10:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loquatrix Click to send private message to Loquatrix Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
I speculate that Cindy is the winner because we see her from the back, running away ahead of us, leaving everyone behind her, etc etc.

10-15-05, 07:57 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
LAST EDITED ON 10-15-05 AT 08:03 AM (EST)

I agree regarding the girl's backside shots....definately looks as though it could be Cindy running away, it looks like her clothing and you can see the tip of her braids/hair in the shots as well....very interesting. Why would they photograph her running away and then the typical action shot that everyone else has....because of these frames she has more shots in the intro than anyone, and she's definately different than everyone else. Definately I think Cindy's portrayal in the opening sequence stands out over Danni's! I'd love to see her make it to the end!

Loquatrix 640 desperate attention whore postings

10-15-05, 11:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Loquatrix Click to send private message to Loquatrix Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
Part of it is wishful thinking on my part because so many people are talking about Danni and I really really really really really hope she's not the winner.

My ideal Final Two would be Brandon and Cindy. Wouldn't it make a lovely change NOT to have typical "winner's" and "F2 foil's" edits this season? Especially considering that the editing really does have a different feel to it this season. It's almost as though the editors have deliberately set out to change things up -- but of course it's very early days yet and we're still in the process of chopping out the irrelevant players, so it's hard to say for certain whether someone like Judd is getting a long-term F2 Foil edit, or whether we're just leading up to a much deserved boot this week or next, you know?

I just hope it's not Danni. I can't bear her. I very much hope the only reason we're seeing her in a positive light in the challenges at the moment is to set the stage for her facing off against Steph. Other than that, in what way do we see Danni as winner material? There's nothing else about her at all that leads me to believe she deserves to win. I do so hope it's not her!

10-15-05, 06:13 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
I don't think Cindy's backside is significant of her being our winner. I actually think it represents her not even making it to the merge. If you look at the opening credits of Palau, there's a shot of Ibreham's back and then his action shot pop's up and then his name. it's practically identicle to Cindy's. The same thing in Vanuatu with Brady. Both of these guys didn't make the merge so I don't really think things bode well for cindy.

justwrong 63 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

12-08-05, 03:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail justwrong Click to send private message to justwrong Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
LAST EDITED ON 12-08-05 AT 03:24 PM (EST)

--edited to remove quote

well the shot of cindy's (very nice) backside was obviously not indicating her not making the merge... but maybe it is to signify her "turning her back" on her tribe. by taking the car for herself, and not giving them to the others instead, she has dissed her tribemates, and she gets sent home for it.

that would certianly fit in with Ibreham's time on survivor, many would say that when he quit, he deserted his tribe. cbs sure was pissed at him, in the way they handled the torch thing. throwing it on the ground instead of snuffing it out, and everything else.

i don't know about brady from vanuatu, i can't place him right now, and i don't have that season on tape. can anyone shed some light on him? did he do anything remarkable?

12-11-05, 05:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
justwrong, I like your point, I think Cindy disappointed CBS because the 4 car giveaway would have made for great TV and she ruined it.

I think you mean Osten; he is the one who quit in Pearl Islands and got his torch thrown down. Ibrehem was the last Ulong to get voted out and Bobby Jon almost voted out Steph, sigh, that would have changed history.

Brady's thing was that he's a real FBI agent. Lopevi never gave him a chance. His mistake was showing his strength by climbing the totem and getting the "luck" for the men in the opening scene with the chiefs. Brady was kind of a disappointment for CBS in that the FBI refused to let him do any PR or attend the Finale. Maybe that's why you don't remember him!

FriendsFanatic1986 12 desperate attention whore postings

10-14-05, 10:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FriendsFanatic1986 Click to send private message to FriendsFanatic1986 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
I am a huge fan of the opening credits too. I did notice something today while watching them on Survivor: Guatemala.

In everyone's picture except for Margaret and Judd, the names slither across either to the left or the right. Watch closely and the names move. However, on Margaret and Judd, they stay frozen and are glued to the same spot. I'm not sure if that means anything or not.

12-07-05, 03:16 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
I thought it would be fun to comment on the thoughts here after the fact.

FriendsFanatic1986 posted: In everyone's picture except for Margaret and Judd, the names slither across either to the left or the right. Watch closely and the names move. However, on Margaret and Judd, they stay frozen and are glued to the same spot. I'm not sure if that means anything or not.

Very interesting now as these two really had the most serious of conflicts...(good vs. evil, imo )

Christmas:

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings

10-15-05, 07:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
The other interesting thing about the opening credits of Vanuatu was that there were only 2 slides that shook 3 times before becoming still...Chris' and Twila's. We all know where they ended up

10-21-05, 02:45 AM (EST)
14. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
Now what? These patterns in the opening credits of past seasons are real, but the Brian shots weren't such great omens. Oh well, time to re-evaluate? What about Amy?

architecturegirl 227 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-21-05, 02:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail architecturegirl Click to send private message to architecturegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
This is my first posting, but seeing as this thread was started by someone who didnt post much, I feel a bit more confident putting my two cents in here...
I found this thread very interesting and have been checking out the opening credits each week to see if I see something new each time - last night I noticed something I havent before. Four survivors have predatory animals prior to their sequence - and three of them are now gone!

Brianna - Snake before hers
Brian - Tiger before his
Brandon - Crocodile before his
Brooke - Snake before hers

Could this mean that Brandon is doomed as well? I like him, so I hope not, but I found it interesting. The only other animal shown (that I noticed) is a monkey (not predatory, so I dont think it applies to this line of reasoning). The monkey is before Amy's sequence, but there's a little bit of lag time in between.
Just thought I'd put it out there and see what people thought...

12-07-05, 00:19 AM (EST)
17. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
Hey Everyone. Its been a while, but with the final five coming up and the finale this Sunday I thought that I would try to revisit the opening sequence and give it one last look before it is too late.

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, each season has a theme in the opening credits that gives away the winner. In the past it has been so easy and recognizable, but for some reason I am completely oblivious to this season's pattern. Without it, I just have to go with what I've got, which kind of pisses me off.

The Cast:
Cindy - I understand that the editing of this season has been so different compared to every other seasons because of the two returning players and our ex-NFL QB, but based on past season openings I don't believe cindy is going to win because of her challenge action shot and the little clip of her backside mid-challenge. It just doesn't bode well when comparing to Brady of Vanuatu and Ibreham of Palau. Also, the original Nakum tribe is shown in the "18 castaways" shot (btw - when were they ever on that boat???) and her tribal flag is burning in the tribes introduction. There is absolutely nothing promising about Cindy's opening sequence.

Danni - Cindy's last two comments apply to Danni as well, and regardless of what spoilers say, the credits don't point to a Danni win. I mean, remember Pearl Islands, we've all been Darrah-ed before (best finale ever because of the shock of her final four outster). Danni's action shot is mid challenge during the first immunity challenge. she is pushing the boat from the shore before it is locked into place. Now, just like Sandra from PI, the shot isn't obviously mid-challenge so I see some lee-way in the arguement of her winning - but I can't get over the "18 castaways" shot. She is front and center on this doomed screen cap. regarding the editing of the show, I personally would be dissapointed with a Danni win. We've had so many chances to get to know her and appreciate a win by this underdog, but of course, with the wacky editing of this season, it may just be that way. I mean if MB wants Steph to be the star of his show, then not even Danni can get in his way.

Lydia - ya, Lydia isn't going to win because of her mid-challenge action shot. Interestingly enough, Lydia's sequence is followed by a jaguar/leopard of some sort prowling through the jungle. Now I don't think Lydia is metaphorically any kind of game savy panther, but towards the end of the crdits there is this sequence with masks, one of them a panther mask. I think that if the leopard mask does represent anything, it represents the original Yaxha tribe rather than Lydia specifically. I tried to find out what Yaxha and Nakum mean - maybe they are animal names.

Rafe - In my original post I thought that the editing pointed towards Brian, Rafe or Amy win. My pick according to the opening sequence is Rafe based on his action shot and lack of attendance in the "18 castaways" and burning Nakum flag. His action shot is infact mid challenge but his is different. What I'm getting at is that by solely looking at the opening sequence which survivor looks the toughest? By using the mud challenge - one of the most grueling challenges in the season, the opening sequence give patron to the TOUGHEST season ever with the most demanding and grueling challenges ever put into the game. According to the opening credits Rafe is portrayed as the toughest survivor in the cast, panting and groaning as he gives his all in the shot. Throughout the season, the most prominent and consistant theme is the hardships of the game and environment of Guatemala.

Steph - Her action shot is her swimming which is never a good sign. The only way the editing could point to a Steph win is if the swiming shot represents her having been voted off previously last season, implying that everyone has been voted off - the winner only won because she lost before. I do not think that this is the case because it involves too much background knowledge for a 5 sec clip.

The masks haven't been discussed at all throughout the discussion, mostly because I can't figure out what they are. The most prominent mask looks like either an old man or a monkey adaptation of some sort, and then there is the leopard mask as well. Unless they are a representation of the tribe names, I think they are only incorporated for a cultural effect.

Now the question is by looking at opening credits and thinking about known spoilers how do these two apply with one another? I don't think that they do. As I mentioned before, I think we are all being darrah-ed. Last year during Palau, my calculus prof told me that Gregg was in the final five. It ends up that my professor and Gregg have known each other since grade school and it also ends up that Gregg lied to her just to have fun. Now Danni's grandmother tells everyone that her grand-daughter wins the whole thing, and later we have TOT spoiling information which he isn't 100% sure about. After hearing the Gregg "spoiler" from my teacher I could have created a spoiler that just fed off of other ppl's info and placed Gregg in the final five. Its basically the same thing.

Danni may win, and if she does I will be dissapointed with the editing of the show. I want to root for my winner. I want to think that my winner is in fact deserving. With only 3 hours of programming left i feel that this portrayal will be hard to come by. Is she really multi-dimensional as of yet? With the combination of the show and the insider I still have no idea who Danni is - and I am really dissapointed if this is our winner.

In conclusion, I believe that the theme of this season is "The Toughest Survivor" and that the opening credits portray this in the Rafe, Amy, Maragaret and Judd opening credits. The mud and the fatigue of the challenge has compeletly desimated these castaways, and only Rafe is still going. He is free from the "18 castaways" shot of doom and his tribal flag isn't burning. His action shot isn't a swimming shot or a challenge shot. Going on the past season's opening sequences (which is really all that we've got) Rafe is the winner of the toughest survivor yet.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

12-07-05, 01:01 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
Thanks for joining in this season, XC. Your observations have been interesting, and I think you've correctly pegged the theme of the season: When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

I'm not convinced about a Rafe win (though I'm also not about to rule it out entirely) mainly because he has had his moments where he threw in the towel (searching for the hidden idol, allowing Cindy to win the "chopping coconuts" RC). Lydia, I agree, doesn't have a prayer; nice woman, she's had some moments, but she's just not that good.

It may come down to how things play out in the endgame, who comes on strong at the finish.

"If all machines were to be annihilated at one moment, so that not a knife nor lever nor rag of clothing nor anything whatsoever were left to man but his bare body alone that he was born with, and if all knowledge of mechanical laws were taken from him so that he could make no more machines, and all machine-made food destroyed so that the race of man should be left as it were naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

Georgianna 514 desperate attention whore postings

12-07-05, 05:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Georgianna Click to send private message to Georgianna Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
LAST EDITED ON 12-07-05 AT 08:52 AM (EST)

XC,

According to this site, Yaxhá means "Green-Blue Water" and Nakum means "House of the Pot".

ETA: Referring to the Maya, according to the Canadian Museum of Civilization (a Crown Corporation) ...

"Maya rulers used the jaguar as a symbol for the divine right of kings. The Jaguar God inhabited the Underworld, home of the dead. Each morning, he became the Sun God, travelling across the sky to the west, where he fell back into the Underworld. To maintain the cycle of night and day, rulers performed rituals to appease the gods, the controllers of the fate of humankind. Like the Jaguar God, Maya kings defied death by being reborn out of the dreaded Underworld, which the average human could not escape ...

The Jaguar Sun God

Almighty God the Sun dwells in the highest levels of heaven. When he traces the path of the sun across the sky in the daytime, his name is Kinich Ahau. When the sun falls into the West Door and enters the Underworld, he becomes the fearsome Jaguar God."

And, according to this artist, the Jaguar (or Panther) is one of the 13 totem animals of the Mayan Zodiac and is associated with "Pulse, Realise, Intention".

So, unless you can trump Lydia's panther with a Rafe turtle (See the 13th Moon), then hope will continue to spring eternal (or, at least, hang around until Sunday) in this 'gnome's' breast ...

G

architecturegirl 227 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

12-07-05, 08:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail architecturegirl Click to send private message to architecturegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
XC,
Since first reading your comments when you first posted them, I've found them very interesting and tried to use them to figure out what would happen this season. I've racked my brain, and I cant figure out what the "theme" for this season is either. I actually posted a few comments about this last night on VS's thread - here's what I had to say:

One final note - I've been meaning for a long time to bump the opening credits spoiler thread which long ago talked about trends in the opening credits and what they mean. I'll just address a few things here that should give a pretty good idea of how some of this pans out - first and foremost, I think we've all come to the conclusion that it will be a Steph/Danni final two - well, according to the opening credits history - no winner has ever been shown swimming in their action shot. Steph is swimming in hers. No winner has ever been shown obviously mid - challenge. Lydia is obviously mid-challenge. There was a lot of speculation of the special shot from behind of Cindy's while running could mean - well, I looked at several opening credits from previous seasons, and was surprised to see two other survivors had a similar type shot that was out of sync with every one else from their season - Ibrehem from Palau, and Lisa from Vanuatu. Thus, I think this shot dooms Cindy rather than being a good omen. Not to mention that she is shown mid - challenge. That leaves us with Rafe and Danni. Regular analysis based on what the last thread had to say doesnt help me differentiate here, other than that Rafe is shown covered in mud as are Judd and Maragaret. This doesnt bode well for him I think, but wouldnt say definitely. One thing I did notice though, is if you go to Survivor Phoenix's site they show the frames of the "Sole Survivor" with survivors holding a torch - the two featured survivors are without a doubt female. I think this signifies a female final two, and since I see Steph as eliminated due to the swimming shot - that leaves Danni. She is also shown with blue sky behind her in her "action" shot. I think this is a good thing.

So XC, I agree - the shot of cindy actually dooms her rather than being a good thing, not to mention the mid-challenge shot. As for the Rafe covered in mud thing, I would agree if it werent for both Judd and Margaret being covered in mud too. What are your thoughts on the "sole survivor" videocaps which I think clearly highlight two women, leading me to believe this lends support to an all woman final two. I looked at past seasons, and the ones in which it could be determined if the highlighted figure was male/female - it was a man if the winner was male, and female if the winner was female. I think that animal imagery either before OR after a contestant's sequence dooms them this season. I agree, the shot of danni clearly shown front and center at the marooning bothers me, and I would say rules her out, but somehow this season I just dont think so. Its definitely either her or Rafe I believe. Danni's sequence is both preceded, and followed by temple imagery. I think this is important...

12-07-05, 03:56 PM (EST)
24. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
Hey guys,

Regarding the sole survivor shot, it is difficult to tell what the pattern with those are. In seasons Borneo, Marquesas and Pearl Islands the "sole survivor" in the shot is the opposite gender of the actual winner. In Australia, Africa and Amazon the words "sole survivor" are superimposed infront of scenic imagery. And in Vanuatu there are no opening sequence "sole survivor" shot at all. The only season where the posed sole survivor is the same gender as the actual winner, was last season with Tom. I don't think the sole survivor shots carry much weight.

Animal imagery is something that hasn't been mentioned much this season, probably because it hasn't been especially obvious (obvious being the sloath that represented Rudy from All-Stars, and the birds who represent the Jaburu tribe from Amazon). I do not believe that the animal imagery means much during the opening sequence.

I've kept this to myself for a long time, and it doesn't really belong in this thread, but while we're on the topic I may as well just throw it out there. A few episodes back, someone mentioned on the boards about the ants imagery. I don't remember where it was posted, but who ever mentioned it was basically asking what do these ants mean. I've always thought that the ants represented that crazy ivy-league graduate who spent 2 whole episodes eating them. I mean, Mark Burnett, why spend two episodes highlighting such a trivial event unless there was supposed to be a connection to be made. Actually, everthing about pre-merge Rafe is completely trivial (his obsession with eating ants, his games, his dramatic reaction shots) but included none the less. Its obvious that we are supposed to like him.

Back to the opening sequence - the 4 characters who are covered with mud are arguably the four toughest characters of the season. Amy is undoubtably tough. Judd won that competition for his team with the goal of proving to his team how tough he is. And Margaret was the caretaker of the early Nakum. I think that having Judd and Margaret included in this theme is an arguable position.

Surviette 124 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

12-08-05, 12:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Surviette Click to send private message to Surviette Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
XC This is the first time I've read this thread, it is very interesting! Your theme idea "The Toughest Survivor" coincides with VS's theme of "Endurance", which might also go along with the ant imagery. Ants are extraordinarly strong, hard-working insects. We haven't seen much in the way of laziness. The players have been very physically active as well as mentally active. From Rafe and his games of Leaf Uno and Corn Kernel Guate-? to a drunken Bobby Jon determined to haul a full-length tree for firewood!

The Mud People certainly stand out as the characters of Guatemala, the ones we won't soon forget. I'd like to make Brandon an honorary Mud Person too!

The silhouette of BJ, we could now say, symbolizes his personal journey to the jury. And the ONE is equal to being the first jury member.

The behind view of Cindy running could have something to do with the close immunity race coming up tonight. Or, maybe Cindy turns her back on the tribe.

Lastly, if Danni does win, I agree she could have been edited in a more satisfying way, but wouldn't that make the outcome more predictable? We are supposed to be blindsided after all!

12-08-05, 00:39 AM (EST)
25. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
At this point I don't see any way this will play out other than Danni v. Steph with a Danni win. Danni has made it through as the last survivor of an alliance like Vee, Chris and Jenna M, and like all of them she will get to F2 by winning the last immunity and for all I know the last four immunities.

Unlike Chris, though, she has not had to play as hard to get there. While Gary was in the game he seemed to do the tough negotiating. And Rafe engineered the demise of the two in his alliance he didn't care for. Danni's winning game really began with Gary's exit, and the editing chose to go with that, rightly or wrongly. It reminds me of Vee's game which didn't really kick into gear until her last shield, Sean, was out.

I never liked the Vee edit and I'm not happy with how little they showed of Danni's inner workings. I don't care how much they showed Danni reaction shots and Danni looking skinny shots, it wasn't satisfying.

In my mind the real player was Rafe, like RobC, Kathy, and Lex before him, there but for the final immunity goes the player who has made things happen in the game.

LOL, I guess I'm not surprised the opening credits are hard to fathom as the whole Danni edit was annoying.

FP, how nice of you to pull out my quote. F@, now there's a new position. To answer your question, at the point I posted that I believe the main outside influence on me was a sort of feel for which group might end up dominant and based on the early tips listed by TDT, Jeff's opening comments about Danni, Rafe, the early story on Lydia who was then saved, etc.. I don't remember when I came into the editing thread but there's no doubt that VS and the editing thread staple posters have been awesome this season.

12-08-05, 06:31 AM (EST)
26. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
LAST EDITED ON 12-08-05 AT 06:32 AM (EST)

OFG.....I loved the F@! Priceless! But I think there was quite a bit about these players before the game. I can remember someone posted that Danni's face was plastered all over NYC buses advertising the impending season of Survivor, just as Jenna Morasca's picture was used to hype the show in her pre-season. At the time it indeed crossed my mind that Danni just could be the winner! (That can be the fp theory....whoever is hyped and spread all over the transit buses in NYC preseason, is our WINNER!....just kidding of course!)

XC, I hope you will resume this thread once the winner is declared. I'd love to speculate about the common thread that holds all the season openings together, incorporating this seasons' into the mix! Seems like we should really start that after the winner is declared!

emydi 13669 desperate attention whore postings

12-08-05, 12:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail emydi Click to send private message to emydi Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
I never liked the Vee edit and I'm not happy with how little they showed of Danni's inner workings. I don't care how much they showed Danni reaction shots and Danni looking skinny shots, it wasn't satisfying.

In my mind the real player was Rafe, like RobC, Kathy, and Lex before him, there but for the final immunity goes the player who has made things happen in the game.

I agree with you here OFG...I didn't like Vee's edit and Danni's could have been done a lot better (and more satisfying to the viewer). I did not like Danni at the beginning of the season..she just rubbed me the wrong way...she's grown on me to a degree but a win by her will never be as satisfying to me as if Rafe would win.

Oh, I would add JFP to your list of F3 who made things happen...you might not like him, but he played a damn good game and but for Lil's stupidity should have been in F2 (and imho won the game over Lil). I guess you could add Ian to the list too, but not really, bc he made THE STUPIDEST MOVE EVER (not counting Steph's lovely play the last few eps) in the game at F3 challenge. Really, I cringe everytime I think about it.

Just FYI, there was a little blurb in the Pgh. Post Gazette Magazine section yesterday about Rafe, with glamour pictures of Amber and Jenna also..asking will another Pittsburgher win Survivor? Rafe is originally from Pgh. before he left for Brown in Prov. RI (he played one of his fantasy survivor games from Pgh) The blurb gave the betting odds on the F5 (Danni have best odds) and also said most Survivor websites have F3 as Rafe Steph Danni. They also mentioned Ian (also from Pgh) as F3 finisher.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

12-11-05, 05:16 AM (EST)
31. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
thanks for the response, emydi, and yep about Ian! A Tom/Ian final TC would have been much more enjoyable and he ruined it.

I can't say that I liked Danni much either until Gary left. Although I wouldn't say I'm a Danni fan, I did like the way she played at that point--actively but walking that fine line of not being too pushy. She hasn't depended solely on the kindness of others. She gave the Judd boot momentum and she took the initiative of daring to approach the power players, similar to the aggressive way that Lis refused to roll over and be Kucha'd and went to Tina. (Had she been dealing with Tina, Danni would be history and not Cindy but that's another story.

Re Jonny Faiplay: Pearl Islands is the only Survivor I didn't watch all the way because for three weeks of the endgame I was in the Cook Islands where actually they were running Survivor on their one TV station but it was weeks behind the US. Pearl Islands is a haze to me. I never saw how Sandra made it to the end and I never particularly liked Sandra earlier on, but friends of mine liked her who had paid more attention.

I thought the ghost tribe twist was the lamest thing ever, and the whole thing of Lil being forced to wear a Scout uniform throughout because they took everyone's clothes away just irked me. As to JFP, I thought he was a jerk, but he did seem to be the one who was actually strategizing.

Go Pittsburghers! Clearly a city of Surivors.

12-11-05, 04:28 AM (EST)
30. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
Hey guys,

I was just thinking about the opening credits again, specifically with the Steph/Danni final 2 in mind. I mentioned this before in my latest post, but maybe Steph's water shot is adressing the fact that she has already lost in Palau, not that she loses this time around. Everything else lines up perfectly for a steph win concerning the opening credits with the exception of the water shot, so maybe this is the theme: the favorite loser.

I still think Rafe's opening screams winner but spoilers tell me I'm wrong. If rafe wins the theme would be "toughest survivor ever" We will see.

Again, Danni's opening credit edit is just as pathetic as her actual edit. If she does win the theme would be "too many celebrities that the editing goes out the window for the sake of ratings"

Lydia...come on now. Its not even worth the time.

Here's tomorrow - the most anticipated three hours of my life, and another great season coming to an end.

12-11-05, 08:01 AM (EST)
33. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
Interesting thoughts, XC! It would fit if Steph is the winner and she's seen swimming in the opening credits, while no other swimmer has ever been the winner! We'll see soon! Don't forget to come back and chew this some more when the final is over XC! I know you'll crack this opening scenes puzzle! And just think, we have at least 5 more seasons to apply it!

12-12-05, 08:17 AM (EST)
34. "RE: Opening Credits Spoiler"
LAST EDITED ON 12-12-05 AT 08:20 AM (EST)

OKay XC, I really wanted to address the opening credit spoiler thread again after the finale. Danni was the winner, and what can we note.....that for the first time ever the 18 castaways verbage was posted over the WINNER tribe, as there is Danni right up front:

Also the tribe that was "on fire" produced the winner....fire=life???

Stephenie, who was shown in the intro as swimming did not win, thus, those that are shown swimming in the intro have NEVER won the million!

Danni was shown in or before the challenge with an intense focused look, then she was followed by clear skies...

Would love to hear your post show thoughts!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •