The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Blake poisoned?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

DerangedButSane 6 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

09-24-05, 07:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DerangedButSane Click to send private message to DerangedButSane Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Blake poisoned?"
Hey all -

Just curious, have there been any spoilers regarding Blake's continuing illness? Does it seem to anyone else like there is something other than just dehydration going on? My husband brought up an interesting thought - perhaps the branch that fell on him, the spikes actually, had some sort of toxic material on them? Probably not fatally toxic but some natural mild poison?

Just curious if anyone else thinks this is plausible or has any spoiler info on it...

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Blake poisoned? GCDeb 09-25-05 1
 RE: Blake poisoned? dabo 09-26-05 2
 RE: Blake poisoned? Witless 09-26-05 3
   RE: Blake poisoned? Thaibeach 09-26-05 4
       RE: Blake poisoned? DerangedButSane 09-26-05 5
           RE: Blake poisoned? Karchita 09-26-05 9
               RE: Blake poisoned? dabo 09-26-05 10
                   RE: Blake poisoned? Karchita 09-26-05 11
       RE: Blake poisoned? Witless 09-26-05 12
 RE: Blake poisoned? Dakota 09-26-05 6
 RE: Blake poisoned? buckeyegirl 09-26-05 7
   RE: Blake poisoned? ohboy 09-26-05 8
       RE: Blake poisoned? Soapbox Diva 10-06-05 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

GCDeb 1 desperate attention whore postings

09-25-05, 10:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GCDeb Click to send private message to GCDeb Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Blake poisoned?"
I've been wondering the same thing all along.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-26-05, 02:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Blake poisoned?"
I conducted several searches in an effort to identify the plant (tree, shrub, vine or otherwise) that produced the injury. Unfortunately, those efforts were not very succesful. However, in what I did read, it seems the plants in the region with powerful chemical compounds, in accidental encounters producing illness, tend to produce a telltale dermatitus in the victim. Blake has not exhibited this particular symptom, which leads me to believe his illness was produced not by chemical reactions but by other factors.

"If all machines were to be annihilated at one moment, so that not a knife nor lever nor rag of clothing nor anything whatsoever were left to man but his bare body alone that he was born with, and if all knowledge of mechanical laws were taken from him so that he could make no more machines, and all machine-made food destroyed so that the race of man should be left as it were naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

Witless 84 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

09-26-05, 08:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Witless Click to send private message to Witless Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Blake poisoned?"
Blake's breathing problems look very much like asthma to me, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was having some sort of allergic reaction to something and it's triggered some inflammation. I have allergies and asthma; if I'm exposed to the right trigger, I breathe just like that. It's even worse when it's hot and humid; I feel like I'm suffocating even when I'm sitting still.

It could be the spikes....or it could be something else. If it's allergies, it could be anything, which is why allergies are so maddening. Some of his other symptoms (vomiting and cramping) could have been caused by anaphylaxis as well as by dehydration; it's hard to say just from watching on TV.

I don't think he was faking it, mainly because he wasn't just breathing hard, as most would do; he was pulling his shoulders up every time he tried to draw air. Most people who were trying to fake it would breathe hard, but that shoulder lift is an involuntary attempt to expand the lungs and it's just not something most people would know to do, or do in quite the same way if they were doing it on purpose. I could, if I had enough rest beforehand and wasn't gasping for air at the beginning, race through a short challenge; adrenaline helps a lot. I'd probably end up coughing until I threw up afterward, but I could do it as long as I didn't have to keep going for more than a few minutes at a time. The spiderweb I could have done; that bungee tug-of-war thing would have killed me, though.

Thaibeach 872 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

09-26-05, 08:48 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Thaibeach Click to send private message to Thaibeach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Blake poisoned?"
ITA, Witless... Mr thaibeach has allergies and asthma, too, and suffers less severely, but along the same lines as, Blake.

I can't help but wonder, though, if they'd even cast someone who suffered from asthma and needed an inhaler or other meds? Particularly for Guatemala when they're trying to make it so brutal and difficult for everyone.

It may just be something they haven't shown, but I've never heard of any Survivor who was on meds and was allowed to take it with him/her during the competition.

DerangedButSane 6 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-05, 09:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DerangedButSane Click to send private message to DerangedButSane Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Blake poisoned?"
That is true, I highly doubt Blake has a diagnosed case of exercise or even allergen induced ashthma, especially one where he required the use of an inhaler to control it. Even if he attempted to conceal it during the application process, it would have been caught in the thorough medical exam all the contestants have prior to their appearance on the show.

That said, it is entirely possible that he is having an allergic reaction that is causing the shortness of breathe in an asthmatic form. I work in toxicology, and the many of the natural allergens he's being exposed to in Guatemala (even outside of anything that might have been on the spikes) are unlike anything his body may have experienced in his normal day-to-day life.

dabo - excellent point regarding the lack of any dermatitus. I don't think that entirely rules out a mild neuro- or respiratory toxin, as there are some compounds that are so system specific they don't produce any externally visible signs. But you are correct in that these are the minority in the plant world. That fact, considered in addition to the fact that many plants usually have either physical or chemical deterrents to protect them (ie either spikes OR a toxin) but not both significantly decreases the possibility of a toxin from the branch/vine being the source of Blake's illness.

I'm going to keep digging regarding the vegetation in the area and known toxicants just because I'm curious.

Karchita 4483 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-26-05, 04:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Blake poisoned?"
I suppose it's possible that he has dermatitus and we haven't been shown it. It could have been edited out for any number of reasons. I don't think he's faking.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-05, 04:39 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Blake poisoned?"
The dermatitus thing isn't a conclusive indicator, it is a typical symptom of chemical toxicity produced in nature. Still, given Blake's modelling sideline, I'd think he would make noise about it if he thought something might hurt his looks.

Karchita 4483 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-26-05, 06:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Blake poisoned?"
Hmmm
Even someone completely obsessed with their looks could realize a rash won't harm their modeling career, but who knows with this guy.

My point was just that we aren't necesarily seeing all the symptoms, so diagnosis will be hard.

Witless 84 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

09-26-05, 09:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Witless Click to send private message to Witless Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Blake poisoned?"
LAST EDITED ON 09-26-05 AT 09:32 PM (EST)

>
>It may just be something they
>haven't shown, but I've never
>heard of any Survivor who
>was on meds and was
>allowed to take it with
>him/her during the competition. >

Either Ami or Julie, I forget which, on Survivor Vanuatu had asthma. Whether she was allowed to take an inhaler or not, I don't know. I think it was Ami and she said later that she didn't have any problems, but I highly doubt she was out there without at least a bail-out inhaler.

But it's quite possible that Blake doesn't have asthma and has never had a problem like this; if you are in an alien environment and you are exposed to something completely new, then you may have your very first experience with asthma-like symptoms (although not necessarily with asthma). I have to take along a pile of medication and a nebulizer when I travel for that very reason--I never know when something new will set me off. The more foriegn the environment, the more careful I have to be about preparation.

As for dermatitis--I get that all the time. In fact, I developed a raging case of it while on vacation in mid-August and still have some now (very annoying). But that happens when my skin comes in contact with something that causes a flare-up. If you assume that the spikes are what's causing Blake's problems, then dermatitis is to be expected, although not necessarily guaranteed. But that's not necessarily the case. It could be something he ingested or inhaled as well, and in that case, dermatitis is less likely.

In any case, whether Blake is faking or not, he won't be long for this game if he doesn't recover. I can tell you from personal experience that people don't cut anyone a whole lot of slack for asthma-type problems; a lot of people think asthmatics are just lazy or neurotic, especially if your symptoms go on for days (which they frequently do). I've had a lot of people roll their eyes at me and say, "But you're not really sick; it's just asthma/allergies, right?" Well, I can die from either one, but I guess that doesn't exactly make me sick. But if Blake is just doing this to get out of working around camp, he's taking the dead wrong tactic.

Dakota 5819 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-05, 09:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Dakota Click to send private message to Dakota Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Blake poisoned?"
I was thinking that too, that the thorns on that tree had some kind of poisonous substance on it that can make you sick. Especially the way he went down shortly thereafter. On the other hand, as of last Thursday's episode, they had been there 6 days, so I am starting to wonder if he's playing it up. Didn't they say this is a season of secrets? Like Gary, I think this guy is gonna have a secret.

Mystic Artistry
Charter Member: Club Anti-DAW

buckeyegirl 5449 desperate attention whore postings

09-26-05, 11:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail buckeyegirl Click to send private message to buckeyegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Blake poisoned?"
Regarding asthma, I had it when I was younger, and outgrew it. However, there are times when I've lived overseas, and noticed certain things triggered mild cases of it again, whereas here in the states I've never had a flare up of my asthma.

Play the Be The Apprentice game

ohboy 168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

09-26-05, 12:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ohboy Click to send private message to ohboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Blake poisoned?"
My thought is he is lazy, he was fine in the challenge. And if it's not laziness I think it may be panick attacks. I dont' think he is that sick at all, and he was probably checked out by Dr. And the nurse lady it's not dehydration I just think he wants to lay around camp all day and then steps it up in Challenges and he thinks that will keep him around.

Soapbox Diva 1 desperate attention whore postings

10-06-05, 10:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Soapbox%20Diva Click to send private message to Soapbox%20Diva Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Blake poisoned?"
>My thought is he is lazy,
>he was fine in the
>challenge. And if it's not
>laziness I think it may
>be panick attacks. I dont'
>think he is that sick
>at all, and he was
>probably checked out by Dr.
>And the nurse lady it's
>not dehydration I just think
>he wants to lay around
>camp all day and then
>steps it up in Challenges
>and he thinks that will
>keep him around.

I realize that you are just stating your opinion, but I suffer from allergic attacks similar to Blake and his pain is all to real to me. I don't think people that never had asthma type problem understand at all.

Just because Blake can handle short burst of energy in the challenges does not indicate that his health is alright or that he is lazy or faking. I studied his breathing pattern and I don't see how it could be faked. It was random and spastic. Not at all deliberate. Also, I even managed to run "all out" for three block to not miss a bus while having a mild allergic attack. I was having trouble breathing before and I was not having any more problems breathing after I ran, I was just a little more tired. I have participated in sports when I still not over an attack because one gets tired of missing out, but it does not make the problem any less real. It also does make it worse because execise and physical activity will make it worse later. But, one can get by with for a short period of time, like the length of a challenge.

I think the error is that most people only have trouble breathing due to overexcertion, so are surprised that Blake can handle short bursts of energy. With an allergic reaction it is different, the trouble with breathing is not directly due to be physically spent, but due to feeling like your lungs and insides are attacking you from within in convulsations. It is not the same type of breathing difficulity.

I know what is like for people to think I am lazy or playing up my health problems, so when Blake is accused of being lazy, it feels personal.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •