The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Jeff Probst quotes (and others)"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-13-05, 08:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Jeff Probst quotes (and others)"
LAST EDITED ON 09-13-05 AT 10:06 PM (EST)

Article at Canoe: tons of great quotes and comments here! Also more sound bites on each of the contestants.

I thought it'd be good to start a new thread devoted to quotes as quite often Jeff comes up with some good quotes and we also hear key quotes/confessionals from contestants in the early episodes that can suggest someone did well in the game.

Feel free to add to this thread whenever a relevant quote is said or an article is released.

I'm pasting the whole article here as Canoe will often move their articles around after a day or so, and the link gets changed (I've highlighted the interesting/maybe relevant parts):

Probst talks 'Survivor Guatemala'
By JOHN POWELL -- JAM! Showbiz

Two familiar faces are returning to ‘Survivor’ but host Jeff Probst isn’t saying who the former players might be.

“I supported the idea because I think socially it is a really great question. People see it very differently and I think people are going to react very differently. So people will say…’No. No. No. You had your chance. Go away.’ In my thinking that is shortsightedness. That is putting some silly ego or pride ahead of the goal and the goal is…How do I get further in the game?,” Probst told Jam! Showbiz of the latest ‘Survivor’ twist.

Probst revealed that the producers did mull the twist over and created a list of potential candidates before they decided who would get a second chance to play the game. Probst nixed the idea of allowing America to pick the returning Survivors.

“My feeling was you cannot trust America to vote in two people that have the qualities we need. People can get on the Internet and people can have their friends call in and suddenly we are left with someone who was voted out first from four seasons ago who nobody remembers. You can’t do that,” said Probst stating that the two most important criteria to the producers were who the audience would like to see again and that there must be clear justification for bringing those people back. The gossip mill claims Bobby Jon Drinkard and Stephenie Lagrossa from the doomed Ulong Tribe from ‘Survivor Palau’ will be coming back to captain the two rival tribes on ‘Guatemala’ and possibly redeem themselves.

In the back of his mind, Probst realized that the twist could fail miserably if both returning players were targeted immediately and voted off but producer and series creator Mark Burnett supported the decision.

“(Mark) Burnett allows us to take risks, knowing we might fail but believing even if we did people would come back and give us another chance,” said Probst, who is still very much in love with ‘Survivor Vanuatu’ contestant Julie Berry. In fact, Berry lived on the set of ‘Guatemala’ while Probst worked on the series.

‘Survivor Guatemala’ will also feature another familiar face: former NFL quarterback Gary Hogeboom. During his career, Hogeboom played for the Dallas Cowboys, Indianapolis Colts and Phoenix Cardinals. According to Probst, Hogeboom persistently lied about his football background so he would not be targeted by the other players. During the series, Hogeboom claimed to be Gary Hawkins, a lowly real estate developer, which is Hogeboom’s current vocation. During one of the first challenges, Danny Boatwright, a sports radio talk show host, recognized Hogeboom but he refused to acknowledge his true identity. (Pepe's note: Gary and Danni are not on the same tribe.)

“He didn’t hesitate to lie,” Probst said of Hogeboom. “He’s got to run this little game of…I’m good enough to keep around. I am not so good that I can beat you and no, my name is not Hogeboom. It is Hawkins.”

Set in the Mayan ruins of northern Guatemala, the series begins with a punishing eleven mile overnight hike through the jungle as the tribes race against each other to win fire and their choice of a camp site. The trek was designed by planners from Mark Burnett’s ‘Eco-Challenge’ series.

“It is the toughest beginning ever,” said Probst revealing that many of the players passed out or became sick from the ordeal. Probst termed contestant Margaret Bobonich, the family nurse practitioner, as the star of the first episode since she looked after many of the ill players.

As the series rolls into its eleventh season and running out of islands to visit, Probst claims that ‘Survivor’ is still above other reality shows because it has more soul and integrity.

“There is so much reality on television but ‘Survivor’ is in a category of its own now,” he said.

‘Survivor Guatemala’ debuts this Thursday at 8:00 p.m. ET on CBS.

Probst’s assessment of the ‘Survivor Guatemala’ contestants

BRANDON BELLINGER: Has a smart mouth and pretended to be the dumb farmer. He is very likeable.

DANNI BOATWRIGHT: Is an athlete and comes from a family of strong competitors. Does not like to lose.

MARGARET BOBONICH: Star of the first episode and was seriously concerned about one of the players during and after the hike.

BRIAN CORRIDAN: Thinks he is ‘Richard Hatch Lite’.

CINDY HALL: More comfortable around animals than people. As a zoo keeper, she knows a lot about the outdoors and the animals which populate Guatemala.

GARY HOGEBOOM: Used an alternate persona to hide the fact that he is a former NFL football player. Might not have given his all at the start to hide his athletic background.

RAFE JUDKINS: An understated personality who studied Mayan culture before he even knew he was selected to be on the series. Probst believes viewers will rally behind him.

JIM LYNCH: A know-it-all who likes things done his way.

MORGAN McDEVITT: Probst didn’t have faith in her at the start. She changed his mind and is seen as sort of an underdog.

LYDIA MORALES: Knowledge of fish won’t come into play as there is not much opportunity to fish where the camps are situated. The water there is muddy and dense. Very charming. A survivor in her own life.

JAMIE NEWTON: Has a chip on his shoulder. Always intends to do the right thing and has a good heart.

AMY O'HARA: Has a little bit of Twila in her. She has a big mouth but is very, very tough.

JUDD SERGEANT: A hot head but is a strong player because he has studied and understands the game. He knows what he has to do to endear himself to the other players.

BROOKE STRUCK: Sharp and calm. A leader.

BLAKE TOWSLEY: Most of the men involved in the casting liked him. The women didn’t.

BRIANNA VARELA: She had another reason for being on the series. Probst: Something else was going on. He is not sure what she was looking for from the experience.

So if there was any doubt that Stephenie and Bobby Jon might get any sort of immunity or anything like that for even one episode, it's been refuted here.

Jiffy's quote about Brianna has me intrigued. Any ideas?

And mmmmm, Jiffy's still very much involved with Julie.

ETF colour... purple is so much more eye-friendly than blue in this particular post.

Scratch and sniff
"Tsk, tsk. Pepe's messing with the newbies again." Spidey, 3/30/05

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Jeff Probst quotes (and others) Scarlett O Hara 09-13-05 1
   RE: Jeff Probst quotes (and others) Dakota 09-14-05 2
 RE: Jeff Probst quotes (and others) Flowerpower 09-14-05 3
 Jeff Probst Media Teleconference 9/... Brownroach 09-14-05 4
   RE: Jeff Probst Media Teleconferenc... FesterFan1 09-14-05 5
       RE: Jeff Probst Media Teleconferenc... Flowerpower 09-14-05 6
           RE: Jeff Probst Media Teleconferenc... Brownroach 09-14-05 7
               RE: Jeff Probst Media Teleconferenc... Flowerpower 09-14-05 11
   RE: Jeff Probst Media Teleconferenc... SurvivorBlows 09-14-05 9
       RE: Jeff Probst Media Teleconferenc... LookeeLoo 09-14-05 10
           RE: Jeff Probst Media Teleconferenc... Brownroach 09-15-05 12
 RE: Jeff Probst quotes (and others) redbeard103152 09-14-05 8
 Return of the colorful exit spoiler Outfrontgirl 11-26-05 13
   RE: Return of the colorful exit spo... PepeLePew13 11-26-05 14
       RE: Return of the colorful exit spo... mockingbird 11-26-05 15
           RE: Return of the colorful exit spo... PepeLePew13 11-26-05 16
               RE: Return of the colorful exit spo... Outfrontgirl 11-26-05 17
                   RE: Return of the colorful exit spo... reddogblkcat 11-29-05 19
                       RE: Return of the colorful exit spo... Outfrontgirl 11-29-05 20
       RE: Return of the colorful exit spo... mommamia 11-27-05 18

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Scarlett O Hara 3439 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

09-13-05, 09:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Scarlett%20O%20Hara Click to send private message to Scarlett%20O%20Hara Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Jeff Probst quotes (and others)"
...awww, isn't that sweet. Jiffy got to take his Julie with him ...

Dakota 5819 desperate attention whore postings

09-14-05, 00:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Dakota Click to send private message to Dakota Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Jeff Probst quotes (and others)"
>...awww, isn't that sweet. Jiffy
>got to take his Julie
>with him ...
>
>
Probably wants to keep her eye on Jiffy and the fresh batch of female Survivors.

Mystic Artistry
Charter Member: Club Anti-DAW

Flowerpower 7262 desperate attention whore postings

09-14-05, 08:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Jeff Probst quotes (and others)"
LAST EDITED ON 09-14-05 AT 08:58 AM (EST)

Wow Pepe! This is an awesome idea and what an insightful article! It has even swayed me some in my pregame thinking! First off the bat, so Gary's secret is out ASAP....now will the other Survivors buy it? We also get the impression that he doesn't exert himself too much in the first challenges....this could surely backfire on him. If he doesn't pull his weight in the challenges, and noting he is one of the elders, he could be toast early on....

Danni really seems like one to watch to me. She's really a sports fanatic and if she recognized Hogeboom, she just may be a sharp cookie. She sounds like another Stephenie type, and I did hear a rumor that she and Stephenie got along....so do they both make the merge? She may also target the weaker links, non athletes that don't pull their weight in the challenges, sounds like BJ will have an ally with her.

Margaret is the hero/star of episode one and she was very concerned about one of the hikers....that's got to be Jim. I think she may be very influential on booting the first player then....She's in a position of knowledge and if she's very concerned regarding someone's longevity in the game early on, I think the others in the tribe will be swayed. One thing is for certain, she will not be the first boot.

Jim: A know it all that likes everything his way....sounds like he's sick, the oldest, and by far the most abrasive to this younger group=toast!

Amy: "Has a bit of Twilla in her", and has a very big mouth...this spells trouble to me.

Brian: Does anyone else get the impression that he's a "loser"? This guys screams "wannabe" to me and I think he's very transparent. Who knows, I don't think he looks very strong either. I have serious doubts regarding Brian. He's no Rob C. to me...

Cindy: More comfortable around animals....could spell trouble. As one of the weaker females on her tribe, Brooke is noted to be a sharp, calm, leader. Hmmmmmmm: If a weak girl is the target, I'd say that Cindy will go before Brooke.

Brianna: She had a different reason to play the game???? She's toast! If Jiffy picked up on it, than the other serious players will to, she's expendable.

Morgan sounds as though she just may have a shot at this game and since we think Rafe aligns with her, I'd say she'll last a while.

Brandon is very likeable...that makes him safe to me, early on.

Thanks for the great insight!

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

09-14-05, 02:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Jeff Probst Media Teleconference 9/13"
Fever has the entire transcript posted, so I'm pasting it here for reference. I excised anything that doesn't directly concern S11, like how his love life with Julie is going; it's quite long even without that stuff.

Jeff Probst Media Teleconference - Transcript
(SurvivorFever.net 9.13.05)
Jeff Probst talks about "Survivor: Guatemala - The Maya Empire" Set to Premiere Thursday, Sept. 15 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on CBS

Jeff runs though the 16 personalities:

Brandon Bellinger from Manhattan. He's 22, a farmer and that was his whole thing coming in. He said "I kinda look and I kinda sound like a dumb farm hand and I may just play that card and let them think I'm not too bright." But that's not the case. You see that pretty quickly. He's got a quick wit and he's got a smart mouth. He's a strong kid. He's really strong. I think people are going to really enjoy him. I think he's got a likeable quality.

Danni Boatwright is also from Kansas. She's a sports radio talk show host. She's 30, a former... she's been in some beauty pageants. She's good looking. She's an attractive woman in great shape. She's an athlete. She has 6 brothers. So she comes from a strong competition background. That's one thing I've always looked out for is women who compete. Because in general guys are raised to compete, women aren't. You get toward the end of the show and more times than not the guys play the women. Women end up 5th and are happy with it. If somebody like Danni gets deep in the show she'll be a threat because she definitely gets competition.

Margaret is from Ohio...Chardon, Ohio. She's a family nurse practitioner. The way she described it for me is that it's just under a doctor, it's not just a nurse. She's schooled in a lot of different types of medicine. She's a care-giver. Right away, Episode 1, she's a star because this 11 mile trek that they begin with is so brutal that you have the most unlikely of people on their backs, on their knees, throwing up, eyes rolling in the back of their heads. Margaret is qualified to run triage and figure out who is doing ok, who's just over heated, who might be in trouble and what to do. We literally monitored the first few days... we obviously have our own doctors but the doctors can't intervene so we used the reality of Margaret with these guys as a way to monitor how serious some of them were. At one point Margaret was concerned about somebody, she really was concerned. And we got concerned. So she got into a big role right off the bat.

Brian Corridan is 22. We have a very young group, a lot of people in their early 20s. Brian is from NYC, originally from Connecticut. He takes alot of pride in being from Connecticut. Greatest state in the country he'll tell you. He's an Ivy League student. Considers himself incredibly bright. In casting when we met... my grammar is horrible and he would correct me and then say "see I've already got you on edge, you're so worried now because you know that you can't speak properly and I do". Even that sentence that I just said was probably poor grammar. Brian is really fascinating to watch and listen to. He's like Hatch Lite. He's Richard Hatch Lite. He truly believes he is the second coming.

Cindy Hall is from Naples. She's a zookeeper. Interesting woman in that, I think she would agree that she's more comfortable around animals than she is people. The fact that we're throwing her in Guatemala in a rainforest with howler monkeys and crocodiles and snakes and red ants and all this stuff, lots of mosquitoes... could play to her advantage in that Cindy has some knowledge of the outdoors and wildlife that other people could benefit from. On the flip side Cindy could come across as somebody just so detached that they don't know what to do with her. That was kind of my question going in... would she be able to bridge those two worlds.

Gary Hogeboom is a former NFL quarterback. He's from Michigan, Grand Haven, Michigan. Gary was worried that people were going to figure out who he was or recognize his name. So he developed an alter ego which I think was Gary Hawkins. And he said, "I'm either a land developer or landscape design", something like that. His view was, "I'm just gonna deny it. No matter even if I get outted I'm gonna deny it." Well Danni Boatwright, the talk radio host from Kansas, on day one, said "that's Gary Hogeboom, I know that's Gary Hogeboom". So it was a great little dance that went on right away with Hogeboom saying "I'm Gary Hawkins" and Danni having this information about who he was. Do they confide in each other? Does she use that information? Does she hold onto it? It got off to a good start. And Gary doesn't look like an NFL player. His hair is prematurely gray. He's very lean. He didn't want people to think he was a big athlete. So I think might have not given it his all in the beginning to kind of draw attention away from himself. Draw attention away...throw attention...divert attention. Thank you Brian Corridan.

Rafe Judkins is also 22 and from the Ivy League world as well but completely different from Brian. Rafe is a very understated. He's got this tremendous personality. Very likeable. I think people are going to really get behind Rafe. He's gay and he's bright in terms of understanding Survivor, he's really studied it. He also coincidently had done a semester on the Mayan culture right before Survivor. Had no idea we were going to Guatemala or that we would choose him to be on the show. So he had a little bit of history. If we ever did a Q and A, theoretically, that guy would have a leg up.

Jim Lynch is 63, from Colorado. He's a retired fire captain. He's the oldest guy but at 63 he's really not that old, he's in good shape. I don't think he hid the fact that he's a retired fire captain. We've seen the game enough that being a hero and being a leader can work for you or against you. Like it did with Tom, he knew how to play it. I think Jim's big thing is going to be...he's a big... he's one of those "I know how to do it.". That's gonna be hard for him to back down and be a team player because he probably does know how to do it. And he's with 20 year olds and he's gonna have to get along.

Morgan McDevitt is 21 from Illinois. A Magician's Assistant, she's also a waitress and maybe does a little modeling. She's young and fit and attractive. She's a woman that I didn't have a lot of faith in going in. I wasn't sure she had the staying power. As the show started, I started changing my mind. I saw someone who really did want to play and really would work. She kind of became an underdog in that sense for me, personally. I think she always saw herself as a full on threat but in my opinion I was realizing... okay there's a little more here than maybe I gave her credit for in the beginning.

Lydia Morales is from Lakewood Washington, originally from Okinawa. She's a fishmonger. She can slice, dice, do everything with a fish. The only unfortunate thing for Lydia is that the place they're at, there are fish but they are located in a lake that is muddy and full of crocodiles. Fishing is not going to be like Palau. It's fair to say that Palau was like a vacation compared to Guatemala. It's hot, averaging maybe 105 a day, it got up to 120. It's humid. The mosquitoes are ridiculous. The lake is full of crocodiles, they are given corn to eat. But Lydia is a charming woman with quite a history. I don't know how much will come out on the show. Truly a survivor in her own life. A woman who is going to have to work hard to stay in the game because it's a physical, physical, physical season. It's the most physical we've ever done and Lydia is probably the least physical of all the people out there.

Jamie Newton is from Douglas, Georgia now from North Hollywood, California. He's a Southern boy, there's no doubt about it. He's a water ski instructor, one half of a set of twins. He was raised to say "yes sir" and "no sir". I think there's a bit of a chip on his shoulder but it's a charming chip. And Jamie is a strong guy. What I found endearing about Jamie is that I truly believe that he intends to do the right thing everyday. Sometimes that's harder for him to do than others. I believe his heart is in the right place and that makes him an interesting person to put on this show.

Amy O'Hara is 39 from Massachusetts. A police sergeant. Amy is East Coast. By that I mean she shows you what she is, she says what she means. "Yeah socializing with a group of people is going to be a little difficult but I've done it before. I worked with a police force and I can merge. I'm a little rough around the edges." She's a little bit of Twila. And it's fun. And Amy is tough, chick is tough. And this season tough could keep you in the game.

Judd Sergeant is 34 from New Jersey, a hotel doorman. He's everything you want in a Jersey hotel doorman. Everything ends in "man". "Let me tell you, man". He's colorful. He's hot headed, he's strong. He's a pretty good player of Survivor. You get to talking to these guys in casting and you figure out who gets the game and who doesn't. I think Judd gets the game. He knows he's got to build alliances with people. He knows he's got to be trustworthy to a certain point and he knows he's got to pull his weight.

Brooke Struck is from Santa Monica, California. She's originally from Hood River, Oregon. Law student, took a semester off to come do the show. She's a sharp woman and she's a good thinker. Very calm. She's young and attractive and fit but her strength or her liability lies within her approach to the game which is very calm. The show starts off with an 11 mile trek through the jungle and it's a doozy, it aint no walk. You got a map and a compass and Brooke is the kind of person who will offer to lead and it just depends how she does it because that can really irritate people or it can be comfort to have somebody who's willing to take the risk and knows how to read a compass.

Blake is 24 from Dallas, Texas, he's a commercial real estate broker and a model. I think he'd like to compare himself to Colby...in that he's young, good looking, all American. He's very fit. But as I said this season is tough and even the fit guys are going to have a hard time. Blake in casting... all the guys loved Blake, we thought he was great and the women were sort of nonplussed by him. Which all the guys found interesting. We're looking at him going "wait I thought this was the kind of guy that girls like. Young, good-looking All American, polite." So I don't know what the take on Blake will be.

Brianna, she's 21 from Edmonds, Washington. She's a make-up artist and sells make up. My take on Brianna was that there was another reason she's out here other than what she was telling us. And I could be way wrong. She says she wants the adventure and all this stuff. I think there's something else going on there and for that reason she was really interesting for me in terms of how this journey played out for her and what she wanted to get from it and whether she was successful.

So those are the players.

Question: You did answer about Hogeboom and did anyone get wise to the fact that he's an ex NFL player.

JP: Hogeboom was a guy who applied. We didn't go looking for him. His tape was him in Michigan and he's out in the snow and his kids are piling show on his head. He's saying "if I can survive two kids and the Michigan winter I can survive your show." And when I saw his tape it just says Gary, it didn't say Hogeboom. I really didn't know anything about it, I wouldn't recognize him. He gets in there and he's a great candidate for the show. Now add in the fact that he's a former pro quarterback and has some sort of celebrity but not so much that it's guaranteed that he'll be outted, it becomes sort of interesting. On one hand this guy could still be a superb athlete but if you show that, you're dead. So he's got to run this little game of "I'm good enough to keep around, I'm not so good that I can beat you. And no my name is not Hogeboom, it's Hawkins with a W."

Question: You've contributed Super Bowl predictions every year for the Celeb Bowl Predictions (?)... did you get to talk about the Superbowl at all?

JP: No because of what we just talked about. It was forbidden for me to say anything. I have a habit of calling guys by their last name. I knew that he was going to lie going in. There was one challenge where I just about said "Hogeboom". It's early on, day two or day three when we have our first challenge. Danni is sitting on the side saying "I think that's Gary Hogeboom.'" It got into my head and I just about said it and luckily caught myself. No we never talked football. Analogies get made in Survivor all the time, like..."you're sort of the QB of our tribe" that came up about being a quarterback. It wasn't in reference to Gary. It was a little dicey to keep in mind that you have to remember that this guy is a landscape architect.

Question: We've seen all the promotion about the two big twists, what can you tell us about that?

JP: The two twists, two people that have played the game, two former players are coming back in some capacity. Where the idea generated from, we have a constant board of ideas and sometimes they make it into a season and oftentimes they don't. We've talked about the notion of not doing an All Stars but doing a regular group of new people and interjecting one or two former people to see if they would be used as easy vote offs or if anybody would have the confidence to say "I think you're an asset and I want to learn as much as I can and I'm still going to play the game against you and yes I'm going to try to get rid of you but in the meantime you're going to help me get further." We sat at the table and there were 6 people on one side saying "you're stupid, they're first off" and then there was the other side saying "what if they're not". You can predict, you can't write the ending. There is an inherent risk in doing something like that. But I'll be honest with you, it's the reason that the same creative team is still on Survivor. Burnett allows us to take risks knowing me might fail but believing even if we did people will come back and give us another chance.

Question: Did you support this idea and why?

JP: Oh yeah. I think socially it's a real great question. People see it very differently and will react differently. Some people will say "oh no, no, no, you've had your chance no go away." That's short-sightedness and putting some silly ego or pride ahead of the goal. The goal is "how do I get further in the game?" Depending on what I think of this person and how you played... I'd go up to this person and say "listen your head is on the block already, team up with me and let's get a couple of other people, of the 4 of us you're probably going to be the first to go but let's go as far as we can together and if you're good you'll outplay me again".

Question: How was it decided who the two people would be? What criteria were you looking for?

JP: We talked about a couple of ideas. One that I was totally against and so vocal about was letting America decide. My feeling was, you can't trust America to vote in two people that have the qualities that we need. People can get on the internet and people can have their friends call in and suddenly we're left with somebody who was voted out first from 4 seasons ago who nobody remembers. You can't do that. I kept arguing that we decide and we just have to have criteria. The criteria we came up with was two things: who would the audience like to see again, who would they enjoy and secondly, what's the justification for bringing them back? So if you can make an argument that this person deserves a second chance because...then that person was on the list and we had a fairly small list and the choices to us were obvious once we looked at it.

Question: You said that they'll be back in some capacity, are they in fact playing and competing for the million dollar prize?

JP: Well, let me think... in a sense, definitely. Trying to think what I can tell without saying what CBS doesn't want me to say. I've kind of...I've said alot and there's alot to read between the lines. I feel ok with what I've said but the idea is certainly not to just have them come back and say "good luck", that wouldn't be very interesting. But to come back and participate in this game in a way you have to decide...before this happens...you have to decide how you're gonna play it...are they a threat or are they an asset? The answer is in there.

Question: I am from the Grand Rapids press. Grand Haven where Gary Hogeboom is from is right in our area and of course he's a big native son who everybody loves. Can you tell me what kind of competitor is he. You refer to him earlier as being kind of crafty. I spoke to his old football coach and he said Gary is a guy who does not like to lose. What do you say about that?

JP: The first time I met Gary, you get a sense from certain people that they get it, quote unquote. Hogeboom gets it. I don't know how much of that comes from playing in the NFL and being the quarterback position and having to lead a team. But he's extremely sharp. He's sharp enough to know that this is how people might see me. If people figure out that I'm an athlete this is the harm it will do me. He knew enough not to excel too much coming out of the gate. It's an 11 mile trek. Hogeboom was probably as well conditioned as anybody out there. But I don't think you'd see it. I don't think he shows it. He played low key. And in terms of being a guy who doesn't want to lose, there's no doubt about it if Hogeboom could last in the game awhile to the point where it gets to be individual then he could be a threat because he could be strong.

Question: And you were saying that this guy on the 2nd day outted him?

JP: It's a woman, Danni. She's like a 30 year old, attractive, in great shape, athletic background, lots of brothers and hosts a radio show. She doesn't out him, she says... I can't remember if she says it in reality or in an interview but she knows, well she's pretty sure, she goes "I think that's Gary Hogeboom." But the big question at that moment for me was, man if I knew that about somebody and I found out that what you were saying was that your name was Gary Hawkins I would come to you, I would either hold that... the question is does she hold that information until she needs to play that chip and say "listen Mr. Hawkins we need to make a deal or I'm going to bust you." Or does she go to Hawkins and say "listen I know who you are I'll keep your secret we'll team up." There are lots of options. But Gary is working it going "I'm Hawkins. I got Hogeboom all the time, the guy that played football, yeah I hear that all the time."

Question: Wow, so he's a little bit of an actor, too?

JP: Hogeboom was out of the gate an actor. And it was fun because we've never had anybody who had a lie to tell and tell it so well. He didn't hesitate. "What do you do?" Landscape architect.

Question: So he's giving his real life job now and not alluding to his former fame?

JP: Yeah and he's using a different name. A name close enough that he'll respond to it.

Question: Describe a little bit more about the location and the starting trek from where to where did they go?

JP: Guatemala is kind of a dichotomy in that there are places in Guatemala that are gorgeous. There's Guatemala City and Antigua, old cities that are beautiful. We just took them to an area that was dense in terms of ruins and dense in terms of rainforest. It's the summer and it's hot. That's the layout, you have all these old ruins sprouting up everywhere that are really cool. But it's 110, mosquitoes, muddy crocodile infested waters and snakes and all that stuff. The whole idea of making it tough came from the fact that again sitting around the table in LA, going... "all right this is going to be hard again. This is going to be a difficult season. We can either make it hard and have big huge ice castles so that they don't remember how hot it is or we can embrace how tough it is and make it tough." We decided that we haven't done tough, tough, tough, ever. So the idea came, "let's do a trek like we would in Eco-Challenge." We brought in the same guys that Mark used in Eco-Challenge and said "here's where we want to start, here's where we need to end up. Make us a course." So these guys went through the jungle and mapped out what turned out to be an 11 mile hike, trek whatever you want to call it. You gotta have a compass and you've got a map. Our Survivor maps are not Rand McNally, they are purposefully vague. There's a stream here and a big tree here. So we set that up and ran it 3 times with our dream teamers and it killed them. We had no idea how hard the Survivors would run. You just cannot ever anticipate the adrenalin that courses through a body. It's the toughest beginning we've ever had. You will see many people on their back, on their knees, throwing up, eyes rolling back. And it's people you wouldn't have expected. It's not necessarily the 19 year old girl that weights 84 lbs. It was hard and it sent a clear message that was "you better think twice about voting off the strong because you're afraid they will hurt you in this game. Cause without them it's only a matter of time before your tribe dwindles.

Question: And is the camp on the coast or in the interior?

JP: It's in the interior. And the trek is...you're vying for two different camps. One is theoretically alot better and more enjoyable than the other and you're also playing for fire. Fire is...if you've watched Survivor, is key because without it you can't boil water. Without water you're seriously hurting.

Question: Talk a little bit more about the heat. Just how bad is this heat. How did it affect you as well as the teams?

JP: That's a good way to gage it. I came into it... I've had a revelation about sun damage and skin care in general. I came in with Murad sunscreen protector, I wear a hat everywhere. You will not see a challenge when I won't have it on. I am not ready for what one day was during one challenge, 120 degrees. It's stifling and sucks your energy. You see these challenges that when you see them edited are down to 5 or 6 minutes but in reality we're out for two or three hours. You have to reset something up because it's in a series of heats. I kept noticing that my brain, which is not the fastest already, just didn't respond as quickly. I really for the very first time, looked at these guys and thought "man this is really serious... they are exhausted and dehydrated." Sometimes you'd see people get cold because they are so dehydrated and it's 105 and they're freezing. That's scary stuff. During one challenge I covertly called the doctors over to make sure we were not in trouble. You'll see it in the first episode.

Question: In previous seasons the people perceived to be threats to win the game seemed to get voted off early and it eliminated the most interesting players, strongest players. Did you change anything in the game to discourage that?

JP: Well you can't change anything to discourage people from voting off the threats because ultimately it's a point of view...in terms of just getting voted off because you're strong and therefore might be tough to beat in an individual challenge. I think by no particular reason other than being in a tough environment we did change that. They knew after that 11 mile trek, they're smart enough to know that everything happens for a reason. We're putting this on day one because we want you to understand something, this show is going to be tough. The people who are now worried are the weak people. Lydia who, bless her heart, is charming but not very strong in challenges. And Morgan, who only weighed 95 lbs, is maybe getting beat up out there. You better learn how to make that corn or build fire or build a shelter. You gotta bring something to the party now.

Question: You see all the tapes like what goes on at camp. If you have a personal like or dislike can you influence Tribal Council. If you want to out Gary can you do that just to be mean?

JP: First of all, I don't watch tapes. It doesn't mean I don't get information. I could never watch the amount of tapes, they come in all day. But I want to know the big beats. I need to know if someone is lying about their occupation or names so I don't blow it. There are, in every episode, multiple moments or encounters that I don't know happened. I want to have free reign at TC and not be a scripted monkey. I want to be able to watch somebody roll their eyes and ask why. People at Tribal want to talk and can't help but talk and they really shouldn't talk. You really should say less. In terms of should I influence the game...of course, yeah if I said "hey Gary Hogeboom QB"... we'd have a horrible lawsuit. I'd be in a real bind. It's a dicey... the vague ones come when you're hard on someone at Tribal Council... like "you're not pulling your weight". And people go back at camp and go "Probst said you're not pulling your weight." In Guatemala it was very contentious. There are a couple of people who aren't going to be inviting me to dinner anytime soon.

Question: Has someone ever, when voted out, gone totally ballistic and threatened violence?

JP: Nobody's threatened violence. We had a couple this season of Guatemala, where people were so blindsided and it was so personal and there's one in particular that is probably the most colorful exit that we've ever had. I say colorful in quotes because it's funny looking back on it but it wasn't funny to the person at the time. People are generally respectful at Tribal Council. I try to remind myself when I go get the votes that for somebody it's their last Tribal Council and the end of something they've worked hard for and they may not even know it's coming. I try to be respectful of that and most Survivors are also.

Question: Are the internet rumors out there true that some type of fever went through cast and crew. Was there anything like dengue fever?

JP: No. Now in the crew, yes but it's common. We have so many people eating from the same cafeteria. There's always the spread of the runs. I'm careful and always the guy with the fresh fork.

Question: Looking at the cast biographies, 3 sets of twins. Twins figure really big into the Mayan culture. Is there anything about that in the show, do the challenges incorporate twins in anyway?

JP: You know alot more than anyone else has brought up. There is folklore about the twins and gods. We already knew what challenges we were going to do related to Mayan culture. We do have some that are basically descendants of games that the Maya played. We modify them to make them into a Survivor challenge. How they built things comes into play. We didn't know that we had all these twins until we cast the show. We toyed with it. How could we incorporate it.

Question: It seems so statistically unbelievable. Just wondering if Mark had something up his sleeve.

JP: No, no not at all but it was wild. I didn't even know it.

Question: You mentioned how All Stars was a miserable experience. Why would you decide to revisit that a second time, what was different about it this time as far as bringing back previous people.

JP: All Stars was very different in that everybody has played the game before, all had personal grudges or friendships with each other. It completely changed the game. The reason this idea... for me anyway... was more appealing is you have a brand new crop of people. If you wanted to bring two people back even to play the game the whole time, if people didn't like them they vote them out 1 and 2 and you're back to your regular season and that's fine. But wonder if somebody takes a chance and says "I might try to team up with them or keep them around because they might be an asset." Suddenly you've got an interesting game. If it's me, "stick with me don't vote me out first, I will teach you stuff about this game that will give you shortcuts you'll never learn on your own." It would be a huge dilemma. I know I should get rid of you but I know I can probably go further with you. So I'm going to take a chance and hope you're not that good and smoke me before I smoke you.

Question: You've mentioned how the waters around there aren't friendly. Are we looking at another Africa here where it's not a heavy water season.

JP: It's not heavy water-based but we do have water challenges. We get them out in the water. The water factors in. We learned from Africa that you can't not have water.

Question: You said Palau was a lot of firsts. How would you sum up this season?

JP: The toughest period. I know the people in Africa are going to want to defend their title but I really believe that this season was tougher, the temperatures and humidity and bugs. The hardest challenges we've done. Land based challenges, physical challenges. Get down dig your feet in the mud and pull. You've got to take chances on this show if you want to succeed. I think people, when it's over, will say, that was tougher than Africa.

Question: How were the teams split up this time?

JP: We thought we had even tribes in Palau. For the first 5 seasons Mark would say, "we cannot have one tribe obliterate the other because that would be disastrous." And then it happens and it turns out to be fantastic. But we never set out for it. We think we have very evenly divided tribes this time. The initial trek kinda speaks to that because you're racing for the better of two camps and fire which is probably more important than the better camp. The 11 mile trek goes all of one day and into the next and it was very close. It's fun to get the drama of having them select but you can't do that every time. This time we'll pick. Or motto is that anytime we can force them to make a decision then that's another potential chance for a good moment in reality. We thought that Ulong had the advantage because they had the young guys and strength.

Question: Are you still surprised when it comes down to the end and women have the numerical advantage and never use it?

JP: I've come to the conclusion that men are raised with competition. When guys compete and they lose, they don't get mad, they just say "you've got me, now let's go get a beer." Women aren't raised, in general, to compete like guys. The guys play the women. If we have 2 or 3 women that are very competitive with a background in sports and competition, like Cindy and Danni, let them get deep in the show, they may play the guys. It's fascinating to me. From a producing point of view what you desire in a contestant is someone who will play everyday and not quit.

Bridge for sale to highest bidder. Call 1-800-BRroach.

FesterFan1 5947 desperate attention whore postings

09-14-05, 04:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FesterFan1 Click to send private message to FesterFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Jeff Probst Media Teleconference 9/13"
Thanks for that BR. There's a WHOLE lot there. Here's what I got out of that...

E1 hike really takes a toll on Nakum. Blake looks to be the "most unlikely of people" on his back being tended to by Margaret, as Jeff says in his description that "even the fit guys have a hard time" with the conditions and because in pretty much every in-game photo of him, he's laying around.

This will help Margaret as much as it hurts Blake pre-merge.

Danni will last long enough to have to scrap to stay in the game. It's beginning to look like Nakum takes a beating pre-merge. Probst says Danni doesn't like to lose. Sounds like Steph v.2 to me. I don't know that she'll have as many losses to swallow, but I bet Nakum goes into the merge with the numbers against them. She may even use her knowledge of Gary's secret against him.

This info, combined with the nugget about blindsiding (strategists rejoice!) this season, gives me hope that post-merge will look more like S7 than S5.

Brian v. Rafe: Brian is the guy who thinks he's the smartest in the room. Rafe is the smartest guy in the room. Brian will get schooled or will school himself...probably pre-merge. He doesn't seem to get that showing people how smart you are is a pretty stupid strategy, especially if you piss them off in the process. Rafe seems to get that.

Jim, Cindy, Lydia, Brian, Blake, and Jamie all look like pre-merge boots to me.

Danni, Gary, Margaret, Rafe, Morgan and Judd look like surefire merge bets.

Brooke, Brianna, Amy, and Brandon I can't get a good read on. At least 2 of these should make the merge, depending on how Steph and BJ do.

As for the season itself, if it's going to be harder on the players than Africa was, I hope that doesn't translate into bad TV.

Fester

09-14-05, 04:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Flowerpower Click to send private message to Flowerpower Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Jeff Probst Media Teleconference 9/13"
LAST EDITED ON 09-14-05 AT 04:46 PM (EST)

I like your take on the characters, Fester. I do however think that Brandon will be a post-merge player, while Amy and Brianna definately scream pre-merger players to me. Jiffy noted that he(Brandon) was very smart and STRONG, therefore I think he'll make it. Brooke is a question mark, but the way I see it is that she and Cindy are the weakest females on their tribe. Brook is noted to be sharp, calm, and a leader while Brianna is noted to have a questionable reason for being out there....Just judging from the preshow assessment of them, I'd bet that Brook will outlast Brianna. I just pray that BJ can make the merge, and if he does make the merge, I sure hope he can make the jury and not be the first merge booty. First booty post merge would be a good time for a stong young buck like Jamie to go.

The only way that I see Lydia lasting post merge would be if she used her smarts and aligned with a physically stronger player, she's got to offer up her vote as a coat tail rider perhaps...

....this is gonna be fun!

09-14-05, 05:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Jeff Probst Media Teleconference 9/13"
I think Brianna must last for a while at least, for Probst to say that he wonders if she got what she wanted out of the experience. His whole spiel about Brianna is reminding me of Janu (shudder).

At the moment my candidate for the colorful exit would be Brian. I can see this guy getting *totally* blindsided, since he thinks he's brilliant, and then getting really upset about being voted out.

09-14-05, 08:02 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Jeff Probst Media Teleconference 9/13"
BR, I can't believe I forgot to comment on the "colorful" exit! Man, I can't wait for these, from the sounds of it, we can expect more than one! I'm with you, I think you've nailed Brian for the colorful exiter....Brianna is my second choice!

Brian especially since he's so "Hatch-like"????

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

09-14-05, 07:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Jeff Probst Media Teleconference 9/13"
LAST EDITED ON 09-14-05 AT 07:12 PM (EST)

>Question: You mentioned how All Stars was a miserable experience.
> Why would you decide to revisit that a second
>time, what was different about it this time as far
>as bringing back previous people.

>Question: You've mentioned how the waters around there aren't friendly.
> Are we looking at another Africa here where it's
>not a heavy water season.

>Question: You said Palau was a lot of firsts. How
>would you sum up this season?

I didn't get a chance to write a story about the call, but those were my questions (unlike last season, there's no "how Jeff first met Julie" People Magazine-like scoop in there -- this season all the celebrity reporters beat The Julie Question to death early on.) Btw, although its very, very close, this isn't a literal transcript -- I have a recording of the call I was planning to use for an actual quote or two, but if there's something where folks are interested in the exact quote, I can probably get it.

Ya, I'm also a little concerned about the "toughest season" talk -- that's why I tried to ask about Africa, because the last time they did a "tough" season it didn't make for very good TV. I hope that isn't the case this time. And the first question was partially to get Jeff to reconfirm (after suddenly backing away from it midway through the call) that the two previous players are playing the game and can be voted out.

LookeeLoo 1169 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

09-14-05, 07:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LookeeLoo Click to send private message to LookeeLoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Jeff Probst Media Teleconference 9/13"
Yeah to SB! Great questions.

I'm still a little confused about Steph and BJs roles. Yes, it sounds like they can be voted out. But (and I don't have the exact quote), Jeff did mention or infer that they are there in a slightly different capacity. So even though they may be voted out, I'm still thinking that they have some other type of role. Did you get that feeling?

For instance, they would be likely alliances, even though they are on different teams. Maybe there is a side game going on with them and CBS. I'm not sure how this could manifest throughout the game, but maybe they get to pick players for the finals and if their players make it, they get some type of reward? I'm chewing on this one...

LookeeLoo

09-15-05, 10:24 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Jeff Probst Media Teleconference 9/13"
LAST EDITED ON 09-15-05 AT 10:31 AM (EST)

It's this quote that is curious:

Question: You said that they'll be back in some capacity, are they in fact playing and competing for the million dollar prize?

JP: Well, let me think... in a sense, definitely...
the idea is certainly not to just have them come back and say "good luck", that wouldn't be very interesting.

Everything else he says implies that they are just playing the game as normal contestants. But this implies that somehow their situation is going to be different. So I don't know...

redbeard103152 466 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

09-14-05, 05:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail redbeard103152 Click to send private message to redbeard103152 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Jeff Probst quotes (and others)"
After reading the quotes offered by Jeff Probst and the ideas of the way things might play out being suggested by Fester Fan and Flower Power and adding my own experience of watching ten previous seasons of Survivor I have come to the conclusion that the two contestants I feel will be around at or near the end will be Rafe and Margaret.Margaret's background as a nurse will make her very important this season. I also think that Jeff Probst's comments about Rafe's knowledge of Mayan culture will give him an advantage this season as the culture of the area is supposed to play a big part in Survivor Guatemala:The Maya Empire. RedBeard

Outfrontgirl 6830 desperate attention whore postings

11-26-05, 01:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "Return of the colorful exit spoiler"
It's Baaack! Here we thought the fat lady had sung on this once or even twice, but no, there's yet another colorful TC!

Full interview transcript (thanks SFever!)
http://www.survivorfever.net/s11_96x_jamie.html

ORIGINAL PROBST QUOTE:

Question: Has someone ever, when voted out, gone totally ballistic and threatened violence?

JP: Nobody's threatened violence. We had a couple this season of Guatemala, where people were so blindsided and it was so personal and there's one in particular that is probably the most colorful exit that we've ever had. I say colorful in quotes because it's funny looking back on it but it wasn't funny to the person at the time. People are generally respectful at Tribal Council. I try to remind myself when I go get the votes that for somebody it's their last Tribal Council and the end of something they've worked hard for and they may not even know it's coming. I try to be respectful of that and most Survivors are also.

BJ: This segue ways perfectly into my favorite Survivor exit of all time. I'm talking about 11 seasons of Survivor and your exit was the best, bar none.

<audio clip of Jamie's Blindsided TC>

BJ: Attaboy! I love that!

Jamie: I'm gonna give ya'll a little hint, okay? There's gonna be somebody with an exit that's better than mine.

BJ: Really?

Shannon: Shut up!

Jamie: I promise.

Sounds like our boy Judd to me, which raises the question why the promos aren't hyping anything about the Shocking TC if Judd gets booted this week.

Thoughts?

11-26-05, 09:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Return of the colorful exit spoiler"
LAST EDITED ON 11-26-05 AT 09:12 AM (EST)

I'd want to see what the title is for Episode 13 to see if there's any hint of an explosive reaction from Judd.

If we weren't being fed hints that Judd might be going this week "immediately after a family visit", I'd have suggested that Lydia would be going this week because Queen Staph is on the rampage over how Lydia refused to bow down and kiss her toes in gratefulness, then Judd would go next week.

Another thought... how would Jamie know? If it's Judd telling him back at Loser Lodge about his TC exit, he'd probably be overhyping his own description of the exit considering how exaggerated he got with Gary and Margaret at different TCs. Evidently the producers didn't think it was such a big deal if they aren't hyping it.

Scratch and sniff

mockingbird 61 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

11-26-05, 10:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mockingbird Click to send private message to mockingbird Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Return of the colorful exit spoiler"
I would imagine that Jamie would see it for himself.
M

11-26-05, 12:39 PM (EST)
16. "RE: Return of the colorful exit spoiler"
You're right... it's Saturday and I've left my mind at the office. Jamie's on the jury so he saw it...

Scratch and sniff

11-26-05, 04:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Outfrontgirl Click to send private message to Outfrontgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Return of the colorful exit spoiler"
If you check TDT's page for this week, look at the cap of Judd he has near the top, hover your mouse over it. The pop-up caption reads "so long Judd."

I guess TDT's not waffling. There's usually a new promo on Sunday, so we haven't seen all the hype yet.

For those of you who watch LOST:
I would love to see Lydia undergo a radical personality shift and go all Ana-Lucia on Stephenie's ass ...

But yeah, I think it's Judd. Not only does it fit what we've seen of Judd, but Probst used the word colorful twice--once to describe Judd as a character and later to describe the exit. Coincidence?

reddogblkcat 15 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

11-29-05, 01:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail reddogblkcat Click to send private message to reddogblkcat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Return of the colorful exit spoiler"
I watch LOST and would love to see Lydia knock 'Queen'Stephenie off her perch. Wouldn't it be a complete curve to have Stephenie booted? Now THAT would definitely be a 'colorful exit'.

11-29-05, 02:20 AM (EST)
20. "RE: Return of the colorful exit spoiler"
Lydia: "I said, I don't give a *** who you are, MOVE OUT! NOW!"

mommamia 114 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

11-27-05, 00:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mommamia Click to send private message to mommamia Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Return of the colorful exit spoiler"
LAST EDITED ON 11-27-05 AT 00:34 AM (EST)

Another thought... how would Jamie know? <<<

Because he is part of the jury at TC so would have witnessed it or am I misreading what you are asking?

eta:sorry! I should have kept scrolling down. I thought I was reading the last post.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •