The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Is Religion Cool?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Zuma 409 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

05-10-03, 10:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Zuma Click to send private message to Zuma Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Is Religion Cool?"
LAST EDITED ON 05-10-03 AT 10:34 PM (EST)

Is Religion really a comfort to most people? Or is it just a reason for most governments to control their populations...I've read a lot, but the bottom line is the almighty power is the same.

Riding the Drainpipes

edit- for spelling

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Is Religion Cool? samiam 05-10-03 1
 RE: Is Religion Cool? LadyT 05-10-03 2
 RE: Is Religion Cool? J Slice 05-10-03 3
   RE: Is Religion Cool? Spidey 05-11-03 8
       RE: Is Religion Cool? tig_ger 05-11-03 16
           RE: Is Religion Cool? Spidey 05-11-03 17
 RE: Is Religion Cool? kyngsladye 05-10-03 4
 RE: Is Religion Cool? DataShark 05-10-03 5
 RE: Is Religion Cool? Asrai 05-10-03 6
 RE: Is Religion Cool? TechNoir 05-10-03 7
   RE: Is Religion Cool? dangerkitty 05-11-03 10
       RE: Is Religion Cool? TechNoir 05-11-03 13
           RE: Is Religion Cool? samiam 05-11-03 15
               RE: Is Religion Cool? Drive My Car 05-11-03 20
                   RE: Is Religion Cool? samiam 05-11-03 22
                   RE: Is Religion Cool? nailbone 05-12-03 34
               RE: Is Religion Cool? Wheezy 05-11-03 21
                   RE: Is Religion Cool? J Slice 05-11-03 28
                       RE: Is Religion Cool? TechNoir 05-11-03 29
                           RE: Is Religion Cool? samiam 05-11-03 30
                               RE: Is Religion Cool? J Slice 05-11-03 31
                                   RE: Is Religion Cool? J Slice 05-11-03 32
                               RE: Is Religion Cool? J Slice 05-11-03 33
                                   The best line... nailbone 05-12-03 36
 RE: Is Religion Cool? Wheezy 05-11-03 9
   RE: Is Religion Cool? DataShark 05-11-03 11
   RE: Is Religion Cool? Mon Cherie 05-11-03 14
   RE: Is Religion Cool? snoocharoo 05-12-03 35
 RE: Is Religion Cool? tig_ger 05-11-03 12
 RE: Is Religion Cool? Lisapooh 05-11-03 18
 RE: Is Religion Cool? Drive My Car 05-11-03 19
 RE: Is Religion Cool? Draco Malfoy 05-11-03 23
   RE: Is Religion Cool? samiam 05-11-03 24
 RE: Is Religion Cool? desert_rhino 05-11-03 25
   RE: Is Religion Cool? TechNoir 05-11-03 26
       RE: Is Religion Cool? desert_rhino 05-11-03 27
 RE: Is Religion Cool? Meemo 05-12-03 37
 RE: Is Religion Cool? mistofleas 05-12-03 38
   RE: Is Religion Cool? snoocharoo 05-12-03 39
       RE: Is Religion Cool? nailbone 05-12-03 40
           RE: Is Religion Cool? Devious Weasel 05-12-03 44
   RE: Is Religion Cool? nailbone 05-12-03 41
       RE: Is Religion Cool? mistofleas 05-12-03 42
           RE: Is Religion Cool? nailbone 05-12-03 46
 RE: Is Religion Cool? sittem 05-12-03 43
 RE: Is Religion Cool? Devious Weasel 05-12-03 45
 RE: Is Religion Cool? L82LIFE 05-12-03 47

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

samiam 5976 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-10-03, 10:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samiam Click to send private message to samiam Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
I know quite a few people whose lives center on their religion and they are often comforted by it. I think it's wonderful that they've found something that means so much to them...just as long as they don't demand that I attempt to find the same comfort in it that they do, or tell me that my religion is wrong or inferior.

I honestly think the human brain is wired to believe in something outside of ourselves, but that kind of leads to a chicken-and-egg dilemma.

And just about anything can be a governmental crowbar if used correctly -- or incorrectly, depending on your view.

I believe my humor's wearing thin/And change is what I believe in

LadyT 5567 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-03, 11:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail LadyT Click to send private message to LadyT Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
I take much comfort in my God. I am a spiritual person, I pray and find comfort in my prayers daily. I have many beliefs on the topic, and am always willing to talk about them. However, I never try to change anyone's opinion.

I was raised Roman Catholic but have many problems with the Church. However, I do find that being in a place where people hold similiar beliefs as me very serene and soothing. I remember on 9/11, I went to a noon mass and for that half hour we all prayed and it helped a little.

So yes, I think religion is cool.

J Slice 13166 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-03, 11:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20Slice Click to send private message to J%20Slice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
I'm a Jewish atheist... does that make sense?...

I'm pretty into my heritage and history, but religion, at least a theist religion, was not one that I found right for me. I think that people need to find their own path, and just because I don't believe in God doesn't mean there isn't one. For me, the most important thing is to come with a good set of morals and an open mind.

I've recently been looking at joining the Unitarian Church, because their beliefs seem to coincide greatly with my own. Is anyone here a Unitarian? I'd love to know more.

JV's favorite.

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-03, 00:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Spidey Click to send private message to Spidey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
Is anyone here a Unitarian?

No, recovering-catholic-who-believes-in-something-not-quite-sure-what here.

But my kids go to pre-school / after-K care at a school run by a Unitarian church and I know several people who go there. My impression is the major Christian beliefs are there, but not the adhesions and proscriptions demanded by other major churches, esp. the Catholic church. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong here) That was my main problem with teh Catholic church. It's an all or nothing thing. If I disagee on just about any issue, from abortion to marrying a non-catholic, I'm not a "true" Catholic. Thanks, but no thanks.

I grew up with a friend who was a Unitarian and she loved, loved, loved the church and the people she met there. Supposedly their youth group trips were the bestest.

tig_ger 2098 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

05-11-03, 00:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tig_ger Click to send private message to tig_ger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
My impression is the major Christian beliefs are there, but not the adhesions and proscriptions demanded by other major churches, esp. the Catholic church. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong here)

The Unitarian church believes in the doctrine of Love. Love for fellowman is the most important thing and this love for others should govern actions. They believe that God is one, and that Jesus is a man but not God. They also believe that a kind and loving God, like a kind and loving parent, would not condemn any person to hell, but that all souls would eventually go to heaven. In these respects, they differ from a lot of other expressions of the Christian faith.

I urge you, if you are actually interested in what they really believe, to check out their websites, like www.uua.org, and then check out some of the websites that some fundamentalist churches have to say about the Unitarian religion. (do a yahoo! search) I think that will give you both sides of the story--what they say about themselves, and then what others say about them.

A Kyngsladye Original

Spidey 6259 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-03, 00:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Spidey Click to send private message to Spidey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
They believe that God is one, and that Jesus is a man but not God.

I thought this was the case, but I didn't want to speak about that when I wasn't sure.

They also believe that a kind and loving God, like a kind and loving parent, would not condemn any person to hell, but that all souls would eventually go to heaven.

See, now this is something I believe. With all of my heart. The concept of hell just baffles me. Like "You'll get yours!" I do think people who have done really bad things things here suffer when they cross over/move on whatever you want to call it, but I think it's because they are dealing with coming to terms with what they have done.

Or not. Who knows. But this way sounds a lot better to me.

kyngsladye 2921 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-10-03, 11:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kyngsladye Click to send private message to kyngsladye Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
I take comfort in my religion. It has definitely helped with my stress level. But, I don't want a government "religion" that says that we all have to be of the same faith.

DataShark 1395 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-10-03, 11:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DataShark Click to send private message to DataShark Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
I'm honestly not sure what is cool. I use the word to describe something Fad or that really catches me for the moment.

I am religious and find great comfort in my beliefs - especially in times of need.

I believe in God and his gift of individuality. People will always have religion because we need to believe. Even when suppressed by government intervention - people will still choose to believe in what they choose.

Religion may be cool today or maybe not - but it will never go out of style.

Asrai 6083 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-03, 11:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Asrai Click to send private message to Asrai Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
What I think is cool is the way I feel about my relationship with God! What's not cool is someone shoving thier religion down my, or anyone else's, throats! Definately not cool!

Asrai

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings

05-10-03, 11:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
You mean like Marx said "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."?

I think that anything important to people can become a means by which they can be controlled. Religion is popular because it encompasses a long-standing set of shared beliefs.

I think it can be both a comfort and a way for governments to control folks. Which is why religious people have to be vigilant and ensure that their government isn't using them with religion. Remember that many religious leaders have been very political opposing government control.

(I know I didn't answer your question personally, but then again I'm like that )

"Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall" -- Proverbs 16:18

dangerkitty 1913 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-11-03, 00:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dangerkitty Click to send private message to dangerkitty Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
(I know I didn't answer your question personally, but then again I'm like that)

Tech aspires to be Miss Thing in Hell, so you can only imagine what her personal answer here might be.

05-11-03, 00:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
And I expect only puny competition.

"Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall" -- Proverbs 16:18

05-11-03, 00:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail samiam Click to send private message to samiam Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
Are you saying I'm short?

Thou shalt eat green eggs and ham -- obey thy God, I-am-that-I-am.

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-03, 02:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
Sami isn't short

( Buggy - sets her Beer on Sami's head)

She makes a great table though.

DISCLAIMER- this post was not intended to offend anyone who is short or who has had a beer set on their head ( not that much worried about offending Sami, she knws who she is, and she knows who I am , and she knows I love everyone ( and her best on alternate saturdays)

05-11-03, 09:42 AM (EST)
22. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
not that much worried about offending Sami, she knws who she is

As an aside, I think this is one of the better compliments I've ever gotten.

I think.

How can I know myself if I keep standing myself up?

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-03, 09:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
>Sami isn't short
>
Nobody with legs like that can be short! Otherwise, they'd have no body at all. And boy does she have a body!!

(c) 2003 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.
Royal Liaison to Illicit Activities, SB Video Historian (StS)

- Except for ending slavery, fascism, Nazism, and communism, war never solved anything.

Wheezy 9153 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-03, 08:47 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Wheezy Click to send private message to Wheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"

He nice, the Jesus.

WHEEZE

I just can't stop saying that, Sami

05-11-03, 11:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail J%20Slice Click to send private message to J%20Slice Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
BWAHAHAHAH! That's from my favorite book EVER!

"One day the man who live upstairs say that the Jesus is going to die today on... two... morsels of lumber?"

"And what might one eat on Easter?"
"One might eat of the lamb"
"One might also eat of the chocolates."

Hee hee... David Sedaris is THE MAN.

JV's favorite.

05-11-03, 12:18 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
The Rabbit of Easter. He bring of the chocolate.

05-11-03, 12:27 PM (EST)
30. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
No, no, no. Here in France the chocolate is brought by a big bell that flies in from Rome.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. -- Terry Pratchett

05-11-03, 12:28 PM (EST)
31. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
Hee hee... Lady Dishrag and Good Sir Crackpipe, indeed ^__^

JV's favorite.

05-11-03, 12:29 PM (EST)
32. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
For the rest of you who have no idea what the hell we're talking about....
http://www.esquire.com/humor/sedaris/articles/000301_mds_shaves01_1.html

JV's favorite.

05-11-03, 12:33 PM (EST)
33. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
I called for a time-out. "But how do the bell know where you live?"

"Well," she said, "how does a rabbit?"

It was a decent point, but at least a rabbit has eyes. That's a start. Rabbits move from place to place, while most bells can only go back and forth--and they can't even do that on their own power. On top of that, the Easter Bunny has character; he's someone you'd like to meet and shake hands with. A bell has all the personality of a cast-iron skillet. It's like saying that come Christmas, a magic dustpan flies in from the North Pole, led by eight flying cinder blocks. Who wants to stay up all night so they can see a bell? And why fly one in from Rome when they've got more bells than they know what to do with right here in Paris? That's the most implausible aspect of the whole story, as there's no way the bells of France would allow a foreign worker to fly in and take their jobs. That Roman bell would be lucky to get work cleaning up after a French bell's dog -and even then he'd need papers. It just didn't add up.

JV's favorite.

05-12-03, 10:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "The best line..."
A bell, though, that's fvcked up.

- Except for ending slavery, fascism, Nazism, and communism, war never solved anything.

Wheezy 9153 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-03, 00:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Wheezy Click to send private message to Wheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"

I think there is a big difference between religion and faith.
Religion, maybe not always cool. Often people associate religion with rules or a specific book.

But faith is a huge comfort. For me, anyway. Hope all y'all have some faith, something you can trust or believe in.

WHEEZE

DataShark 1395 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

05-11-03, 00:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail DataShark Click to send private message to DataShark Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
Very good point.

I have my faith/beliefs but they do not align with my religion. I always have my faith but no longer practice my religion.

Mon Cherie 1813 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Herbal Healing Drugs Endorser"

05-11-03, 00:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Mon%20Cherie Click to send private message to Mon%20Cherie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
LAST EDITED ON 05-11-03 AT 00:29 AM (EST)

Agreed, Wheeze. I was raised in church and went to a Christian college. I hold pretty fundamental Christian beliefs, but I do not like to be boxed into a religion. Religion is man-made and political. I've been in bad places in my spiritual life, and my faith has been strengthened by those.

ETA: Agree with Tigger below as well.

Mon

snoocharoo 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-12-03, 10:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail snoocharoo Click to send private message to snoocharoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
My friend Wheezer turned me around...(((hugs to Wheezy))

I was baptized and raised a Roman Catholic, I attended all girls Catholic school for 12 years. Everyone in my neighborhood was Catholic, all their friends were Catholic. I had never even met a person of a different religion until I was 18, and my first encounter with a *gasp* Jew was when I was 20. Catholisism was beaten into me, all the hypocrisy, all the arcaic rules and all the pagentry. When I got to be about 21 I seriously began to question God, religion etc. Catholisism was illogical, I realized how warped my views on marriage, divorce, abortion, faith and after-life were and so I became completely shut-off from anything spiritual. I denied God's existence and quantified my denial with science. IMHO God was a figment of our imaginations because people need something to believe in.

For a while I delievered my anti-God message here and foolishly would attack those who are religious. I'm ashamed to say that, but it's true. All devoted people were weirdo, goody-goodies in my eyes and I discounted anything they had to say. Then a few things happened that changed my POV.

A news report of an abused and neglect child made me pose the question here, why does God allow this to happen. The responses from the OT'ers was incredible. People here were compassionate and truly wanted to help me understand that this is not God's will. Wheezer e-mailed me and asked if I would be interested in taking a look at some books she thought would help me to understand.

That gesture, her reaching out to me without judgement really touched me. If someone here, a stranger, cared enough about me to send me books and offer support I'd better be cordial enough to listen. Wheezer is someone that I respect immensely, someone that I aspire to be like, she's so happy and friendly. Her family is absolutely BEUATIFUL in everyway and I thought to myself, if SHE can have that so can I.

I still don't subscribe to any organized religion but I do believe in spirituality and love of self and others. I do believe in a higher power and I do believe that this world is but a stopping point in the journey.

So to answer your question...yes, being a spiritual person is cool. Just look at the people who responded here.

"Believe in Yourself"
You too can cause forest fires...

"Believe in Yourself"

tig_ger 2098 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

05-11-03, 00:18 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tig_ger Click to send private message to tig_ger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
LAST EDITED ON 05-11-03 AT 01:10 AM (EST)

Religion in itself is not a comfort to me. I am not comforted by the fact that I am religious. Instead, I think the comfort comes from the personal relationship that I share with God. Since the relationship is personal, I would not want to cram it down anyone's throat, although I am happy to talk about it, if I am asked.

Religion can and has been used to control people, but I think it is just like other "causes" the government uses to get people to rally behind.

*edited for grammar

A Kyngsladye Original

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-03, 01:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
faith is very cool and very comforting. But what is as important to me is fellowship. I spend time in prayer every day.

Taking the time to be grateful and acknowledge what you have as well as asking for guidance in a daily, private talk with God has made me a much more centered, content and peaceful person. I don't really question my faith anymore (which I think is healthy and normal and necessary at some point in your life). Finding answers that work for me is what gave me such peace to begin with.

One part of Christianity that I don't take to heart is the missionary aspect of it. Faith, to me, is a private thing - not something I feel compelled to force on other people unsolicited

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-03, 01:26 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"

Although I think the question was about Government and religion. ( well he says so) I am gonna answer the way I want, because I love this thread, and I love the path it is taking.

I think we often avoid this subject here, because it can take so many different directions, and because I think most of us try not to offend.

I was raised without religion, no expand that, I was raised against organized religion.
I was raised with a very strong sense of God, a belief in prayer and the power of it. I was raised to believe in a higher power ( the God that *IS* all good and all knowing) Angels protect us, and God guides us. We were taught that organized religion was wrong, that Church was uncomfortable and thatpeople who want to convert you to their way of thinking were scary.

I never learned many Bible stories, but my Father's Lutheran Prayer Book was a source of comfort.

We celebrated Chistian Holidays, but I would hardly call us Christians. More like heathens that believed in God.

We were told that Christ was a great teacher, that God sent him to Earth to teach us to be how we should be to each other.

So I am not comfortable in Churches to this day, but I Believe in God, and I Pray. I know in my heart there is a higher power.

Do I think that Religion is used to control? Absolutely.

Do I think organized Religion can be dangerous? Yes I do.

And do I think this is still not the answer Zuma was looking for?
I am sure of it.

Draco Malfoy 10525 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-03, 09:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Draco%20Malfoy Click to send private message to Draco%20Malfoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
I was raised pretty strict Southern Baptist. Then I went off to a Baptist college and got all corrupted. Mrs. Malfoy and I have a pretty strong belief code, but we have really no use for organized religion in and of itself. We don't go to any church, but we pray regularly.

You'll be next, MudBlood.

05-11-03, 10:02 AM (EST)
24. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
LAST EDITED ON 05-11-03 AT 10:03 AM (EST)

One of my favorite little jokes...

There are three religious truths:

A. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
B. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian church.
C. Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store or at Hooters.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. -- Terry Pratchett

desert_rhino 10087 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-03, 10:03 AM (EST)
Click to EMail desert_rhino Click to send private message to desert_rhino Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
"Religion is the opiate of the masses." (hey, he was a jerk, but he wasn't always wrong...)

...Faith, however, is a powerful aid. Don't lose it if you can help it...

-- JV

05-11-03, 10:09 AM (EST)
26. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
Psssst. JV. Read #7 above.

desert_rhino 10087 desperate attention whore postings

05-11-03, 10:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail desert_rhino Click to send private message to desert_rhino Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
Don't mess with me. I'll see to it your comfortable chair is "out being reupholstered" when you get there.

-- JV

Meemo 3519 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

05-12-03, 10:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Meemo Click to send private message to Meemo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
37. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
You didn't think I would miss out on this post, did you?

For those who don't know, I am a part-time pastor in an evangelical, charismatic church (Don't worry, even I don't know what those words mean )

My view on religion and government: I am wary when government tries to push a particular view of faith. I am also wary when a government tries to quash a particular view of faith.

Ironically even I have some difficulties with organized religion. That said, I attend church every Sunday (morning and evening). What's that glow you ask? My halo shining

I'll leave it at that, but as usual, I will give an open invitation to email me if you want to discuss or banter any aspects of God, religion, faith, or beliefs. I even have a 30-day, money-back guarentee

Half man, half amazing, all DAW

mistofleas 8043 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-03, 12:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mistofleas Click to send private message to mistofleas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
Damn, how did I miss this one??

I can't go into any church. I get struck by lightening the moment my foot tries to cross the threshhold, bright lights shine down on me and a booming voice is heard to say: "A witch...a witch!!"

I'm a kidding of course. I used to be scared to go into churchs, they made me nervous as I was afraid I'd get brainwashed or something. But I know quite enjoy going into the churches. Especially catholic ones because they're really beautiful. (and about as close to paganism as you're gonna get in christianity too!)

"Religion" in my mind is what causes problems in the world. The concept...religion is a doctrine of a church but not the spirituality itself. If more people dropped the "doctrine" and just lived by their faith and spirituality, I think we'd be a much more understanding and peaceful planet.

Or as The 13th Apostle Rufus said in Dogma..."Ideas you can change, it's a lot harder to change someones faith."

I'm not saying faith is bad. Not at all. Nor am I saying that "religion" is bad. We all, each of us on this planet must connect to each other in whatever way works for us. If that means believing a higher power, wonderful. If it means believing in several higher powers, super. If it means believing that everything is chance and the only person or thing you can count on is yourself...so be it.

For me the main thing is to become the best person you can be. As you better yourself you see what a wonderful gift we have in this planet and in the human beings surrounding you. We must connect and cherish ourselves and then we can't do anything but connect and cherish others. Then we couldn't hurt anyone else because we'd only be hurting ourselves. All things are connected, whether you find that connection through the christianity, judaism, hindu, islam, buddism, paganism, wiccan etc. If it helps you see the world in a better light then it's worthwhile.

--spirited since 1983

snoocharoo 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-12-03, 12:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail snoocharoo Click to send private message to snoocharoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
"she's a witch"
"but how do you know that"
"she turned me into a newt, I got better"

"Believe in Yourself"

05-12-03, 12:18 PM (EST)
40. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
"she has got the nose...and the hat"

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-03, 01:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
44. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
So if she weighs as much as a duck?

05-12-03, 12:25 PM (EST)
41. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"

>"Religion" in my mind is what
>causes problems in the world.
> The concept...religion is a
>doctrine of a church but
>not the spirituality itself.
>If more people dropped the
>"doctrine" and just lived by
>their faith and spirituality, I
>think we'd be a much
>more understanding and peaceful planet.
>

One thing I like about being a Methodist is that, although we believe in certain basic principles of Christianity, we don't get too picky into a person's beliefs. An example is drinking. If I wanna drink and think it's OK (and don't get nutZZ about it), then I can drink. If someone else thinks that drinking is not so good, they don't have to drink. Same for dancing and that kinda stuff.

Methodists are picky about the formal worship servide (hence the name) but some of the more controversial stuff they leave for you and God to work out between you.
>
>
>For me the main thing is
>to become the best person
>you can be. As
>you better yourself you see
>what a wonderful gift we
>have in this planet and
>in the human beings surrounding
>you. We must connect
>and cherish ourselves and then
>we can't do anything
>but connect and cherish others.
> Then we couldn't hurt
>anyone else because we'd only
>be hurting ourselves. All things
>are connected, whether you find
>that connection through the christianity,
>judaism, hindu, islam, buddism, paganism,
>wiccan etc. If it
>helps you see the world
>in a better light then
>it's worthwhile.
>
Beautifully said, Misto. For me, the teachings, and more importantly the examples, of Christ are what I try to use to find that connection. I'm not so good at it yet, but I'll keep trying.

mistofleas 8043 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-03, 12:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mistofleas Click to send private message to mistofleas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
42. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
Beautifully said, Misto. For me, the teachings, and more importantly the examples, of Christ are what I try to use to find that connection. I'm not so good at it yet, but I'll keep trying.

Thank you NB. And I think you're doing just fine!

--has a freckle on her nose and wonders if that counts as a wart

05-12-03, 02:00 PM (EST)
46. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"

>
>Thank you NB. And I
>think you're doing just fine!
>
Thanks, Misto! You're awfully sweet for a megalomaniac.
>
>
>--has a freckle on her nose
>and wonders if that counts
>as a wart

Nah, it's way too cute to count as a wart!

sittem 4186 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-12-03, 01:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail sittem Click to send private message to sittem Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
Religion ain't cool. Faith is cool.

And, I agree with Tig_ger, Wheezy and Meemo wholeheartedly.

I do the organized religion "thing", but it's not worth a thing unless there's personal faith. Religion can cause all sorts of problems. However, I don't generally subscribe to the "do your own thing" thing. I think there's a place for the church and organizations, but there's gotta be constant cleansing and emptying to not be into it for power and control.

Like Meemo I'd be glad to discuss more in depth with anyone. My faith is what provides ALL of lifes meaning. I can't imagine life without it - or maybe I can - try reading the book of Ecclesiastes (second book after Psalms) in the old testament. Written by Soloman (supposedly the wisest man to ever live) it's pretty much filled with despair until the final verses. We covered it last week in family devotions. It starts with "Meaningless! Meanlingless!" says the teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless." And, it goes downhill from there. I wouldn't suggest that someone in depression begin reading here!

2002 IceCat Originals, Inc. All rights reserved.

Devious Weasel 18756 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-03, 01:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Devious%20Weasel Click to send private message to Devious%20Weasel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
45. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
I would also draw a distinction between religion and spirituality, to go along with the distinction between religion and faith that has been discussed here. I've always felt more in touch with God outside than I have inside a church.

L82LIFE 5333 desperate attention whore postings

05-12-03, 04:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail L82LIFE Click to send private message to L82LIFE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
47. "RE: Is Religion Cool?"
What a great thread!

I grew up in a very religious enviornment. We went to church 3 times a week and my parents were very involved in church activities. However, I haven't been to church myself in quite a while. I'll admit that I've been pondering going back to church, I just haven't taken the step yet.

Part of my problem is that I saw a lot of the inner workings of the church when I was young. I also witnessed a lot of hypocrisy and backstabbing. I know now that this is not the norm, but seeing all of this really put me off church for a long while.

I believe in God, and I try to live my life by doing right by others. I think that God wants us all to love each other and treat one another kindly. I think that's even more important than the rituals and rules that are imposed by religious organizations.

Whether or not I make it back into a church on a regular basis isn't important to me. My relationship with God is still there, whether I'm praying in a church or while sitting on my couch.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •