The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Survivor: Guatemala Location Information"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

clemsonbeav 4208 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

05-16-05, 00:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail clemsonbeav Click to send private message to clemsonbeav Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Survivor: Guatemala Location Information"
LAST EDITED ON 05-16-05 AT 00:24 AM (EST)

I found some information on the specific location in this blog. Now, it's all in Spanish, so don't go unless you do know. I have no idea right know where some of the information is coming from, but it is from a Guatemalteco (or whatever they're called in English).

April 24: S/He reports that they were discussing filming the show in Yaxhá, Petén, a region in the north of Guatemala. There was controversy, as there would be in any place. Source (Spanish).

April 28: S/He reports that they finally approved the shooting in Yaxhá-Nakum-Naranjo. The filming will be supervised by members of various governmental divisions like the Department of Culture, etc. (Possible information leakage?)

May 12: S/He reports filming dates as May 18 until August 10, though judging from the span, it's more than likely the amount of time that CBS will be in the park. Once again, it's the Parque Nacional Yaxhá-Nakum-Naranjo in the Petén region of Guatemala. (Note: I read here that the time frame is 57 days. Who knows?) ETA: I found here that those three months were when the national park is suspending tourist activity there. Who knows when actual filming dates are!

More to come as I find out more. Happy spoiling!

ETA: Here's a map of Guatemala with the national park outlined in the little triangle.

Beav: Proud member of the inoffensive OT Triumvirate.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location In... jenniferlyn 05-16-05 1
   Choice of Atlantic or Pacific IceCat 05-16-05 2
       RE: Choice of Atlantic or Pacific Karchita 05-16-05 3
           Lake Yaxha AyaK 05-16-05 9
 spoilers never sleep cqvenus 05-16-05 4
   RE: spoilers never sleep clemsonbeav 05-16-05 5
   RE: spoilers never sleep Karchita 05-16-05 6
 RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location In... theking0075 05-16-05 7
   RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location In... pmspml5 05-16-05 8
       RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location In... DonnaLynn 06-24-05 54
 How can they live in the ruins? Cathy the Canadian 05-16-05 10
   RE: How can they live in the ruins? Snidget 05-16-05 11
   RE: How can they live in the ruins? Dakota 05-16-05 12
       RE: How can they live in the ruins? clemsonbeav 05-16-05 14
           Oh, and clemsonbeav 05-16-05 15
           RE: How can they live in the ruins? hunniebunns 05-16-05 16
               RE: How can they live in the ruins? clemsonbeav 05-16-05 25
           RE: How can they live in the ruins? KObrien_fan 05-16-05 19
               RE: How can they live in the ruins? clemsonbeav 05-16-05 20
                   RE: How can they live in the ruins? KObrien_fan 05-16-05 21
                   RE: How can they live in the ruins? whoami 05-16-05 22
                       RE: How can they live in the ruins? clemsonbeav 05-16-05 23
                       RE: How can they live in the ruins? KObrien_fan 05-16-05 24
                           RE: How can they live in the ruins? weecama 05-17-05 26
                           RE: How can they live in the ruins? Dakota 05-17-05 28
                               RE: How can they live in the ruins? KObrien_fan 05-17-05 29
                                   RE: How can they live in the ruins? Snidget 05-17-05 30
                                   RE: How can they live in the ruins? clemsonbeav 05-17-05 32
                                       RE: How can they live in the ruins? KObrien_fan 05-17-05 33
                                           RE: How can they live in the ruins? clemsonbeav 05-17-05 35
                                       RE: How can they live in the ruins? byoffer 05-17-05 36
                                           RE: How can they live in the ruins? clemsonbeav 05-17-05 37
                                               RE: How can they live in the ruins? justwrong 07-02-05 55
                                           RE: How can they live in the ruins? jchuza 05-18-05 47
                                   RE: How can they live in the ruins? Scarlett O Hara 05-17-05 38
                                       RE: How can they live in the ruins? clemsonbeav 05-17-05 39
                                           RE: How can they live in the ruins? volsfan 05-17-05 42
                                       RE: How can they live in the ruins? redbeard103152 05-18-05 45
               I know the trip is kinda in ... tribephyl 07-05-05 56
                   RE: I know the trip is kinda... KObrien_fan 07-05-05 57
           RE: How can they live in the ruins? lisamb9 07-07-05 58
   RE: How can they live in the ruins? syren 05-16-05 17
       RE: How can they live in the ruins? mmm_link 05-17-05 34
           RE: How can they live in the ruins? jchuza 05-18-05 48
 RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location In... Dakota 05-16-05 13
 RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location In... syren 05-16-05 18
   RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location In... Karchita 05-17-05 27
       RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location In... aethelstan 05-17-05 31
           RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location In... Karchita 05-17-05 40
               RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location In... aethelstan 05-18-05 46
               RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location In... trillium 05-19-05 49
 RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location In... Karchita 05-17-05 41
   RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location In... littletown 05-17-05 43
   RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location In... tribephyl 05-18-05 44
 Hurricane Adrian Krautboy 05-20-05 50
   RE: Hurricane Adrian KObrien_fan 05-20-05 51
       RE: Hurricane Adrian Krautboy 05-20-05 52
 Rainy Season in Guatemala dreamerbeliever 05-26-05 53
   RE: Rainy Season in Guatemala Rabid_Gator 07-13-05 59

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

jenniferlyn 147 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-16-05, 00:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jenniferlyn Click to send private message to jenniferlyn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location Information"
Laugh if this is a "stupid, anyone would know the answer to that question-question" so they're not gonna be on the water this time?

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

05-16-05, 01:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Choice of Atlantic or Pacific"

Karchita 4483 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-05, 02:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Choice of Atlantic or Pacific"
LAST EDITED ON 05-16-05 AT 03:00 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 05-16-05 AT 02:42 AM (EST)

I thought I recognized some of the preview shots as Tikal, Mayan ruins very near Flores on that map. Flores is on a very large lake and there are other, smaller lakes in the area, so there could be a lake. I have been there and will try to locate more info.

ETA:
A link with photos of Tikal:
<http://mayaruins.com/tikal.html>

And a link with photos of Yaxha Nakum Naranjo Natural Monument (which now appears to be a National Park):
<http://www.parkswatch.org/parkprofile.php?l=eng&country=gua&park=yanm&page=inf>

Maybe that's where the filming took place and they used photos of the more spectacular Tikal for the preview.

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-05, 01:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Lake Yaxha"
LAST EDITED ON 05-16-05 AT 01:57 PM (EST)

Yaxha is on the shore of Lake Yaxha, and the ruins are on a lagoon. However, there are crocs in the area, so CBS may have to provide some type of protection for the cast if they do much lake work....

Edited to add: I understand that Yaxha means "green water" in Mayan. The ruins of Topoxte are also on Lake Yaxha, and it's just a short hike from Topoxte to Tikal. But they won't be able to use Tikal -- it's protected by UNESCO.

cqvenus 9765 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-05, 11:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail cqvenus Click to send private message to cqvenus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "spoilers never sleep"

GOSH! don't you guys BREATHE in between seasons???

~ cq

nice job, beav!

05-16-05, 11:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail clemsonbeav Click to send private message to clemsonbeav Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: spoilers never sleep"
Thanks cq!

Actually, I found out that Sucks had this information posted before me, but I didn't see it until I found the info for myself. I didn't cheat!

05-16-05, 12:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: spoilers never sleep"
It was an hour and a half after the finale ended out here on the left coast. I took a few deep breaths.

theking0075 331 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-16-05, 12:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail theking0075 Click to send private message to theking0075 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location Information"
So this isn't like the last 4 where they are finished taping the next season before they even announce the winner for the current season? I remember Rupert saying he had finished All-Star before the live show of his regular season even aired. Then, at the All-Star results show, they announced the next season had already wrapped. Wonder if they have slowed production because this season the rating were down?

"Evil" Dr. Will: Reality Show Legend!

pmspml5 3263 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

05-16-05, 01:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail pmspml5 Click to send private message to pmspml5 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location Information"
No - There is normally an over lap from the 1st 1/2 to 2nd 1/2 of the year - but I can remember there usually being a couple weeks break between years (ie - before the September airing). I dont think JP would go this long w/o a vacation or break

DonnaLynn 582 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

06-24-05, 02:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail DonnaLynn Click to send private message to DonnaLynn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
54. "RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location Information"

>I dont think
>JP would go this long
>w/o a vacation or break
>
>
Isn't his entire job a vacation???

--Donna :~)

Cathy the Canadian 599 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

05-16-05, 05:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cathy%20the%20Canadian Click to send private message to Cathy%20the%20Canadian Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "How can they live in the ruins?"
I'm sure I heard in the preview that the tribes were going to live in actual Mayan ruins.

How can they do this? Wouldn't whoever's in charge of preserving the ruins not allow this? What if the survivors mess them up somehow?

Maybe it's a stupid question ... but I was really surprised when they said that.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-05, 05:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
I was suprised by that as well.

My guess is they are pre-ruined ruins.

Ones that were looted or have for some other reason lost most of their value for studying the past. Maybe they have been used for tourists to climb all over so they don't mess up the valuable ones.
K.

Dakota 5819 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-05, 05:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Dakota Click to send private message to Dakota Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
I think Jeff said "they'll have to live like the Mayans did", not actually live in the ruins. Perhaps near them. Based on what I could understand from the Spanish language link, the controversy over letting CBS film there would probably prohibit a location actually within the ruins. But you can bet pyramid building will be part of the challenge package.

Charter Member: Club Anti-DAW

05-16-05, 06:26 PM (EST)
14. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
From what I've been reading today about the park, the Yaxha park is very close to Tikal, another ruins site. Tikal is already pretty much restored. The ruins at Yaxha is still very much in the restoration phase. Because of this, there was a lot of controversy over letting CBS run amuck in the park. Tikal is a much more popular tourist stop than Yaxha, giving EPMB more reason to pick the lesser of the two. There is only one hotel in Yaxha, called El Sombrero. I e-mailed this hotel prodding for information regarding whether or not the cast/crew will be staying there. Hopefully s/he'll give me some information. (Basically, I asked if I could come to the park in July or August, when filming will be. I also asked if s/he knew where in the park the Survivors would be.) The nearest sizeable town is Flores, also where the airport is.

I am seriously considering going to Guatemala around August 10, just to see what I can see. Anyone want to join me? (I'm serious.)

05-16-05, 06:40 PM (EST)
15. "Oh, and"
Fishing is supposedly illegal. Locals still do it, though.

hunniebunns 119 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

05-16-05, 07:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail hunniebunns Click to send private message to hunniebunns Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
my, my, clem....aren't you just the go-getter. Please let us know when/if you get a reply from the hotel. Good thinking.

Lemme know when and where and I'll meet you there

05-16-05, 10:02 PM (EST)
25. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
Chapin just posted over on Sucks that EPMB has a company called Casas Canadienses that is contracted to build the lodge for the crew, etc. But maybe El Sombrero is LL?

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-05, 07:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
Beav, I am serious too, I want to take my vacation and go to Guatemala. I was thinking July, but if you think August would be better, send me a PM or email and lets talk. I was hoping to find someone to go with me that knows spanish

05-16-05, 08:18 PM (EST)
20. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
Check your e-mail!

05-16-05, 08:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
OK, now check yours. This is too cool.

whoami 2936 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

05-16-05, 09:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail whoami Click to send private message to whoami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
Got room for one more??

05-16-05, 09:09 PM (EST)
23. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
You've got mail!

05-16-05, 09:54 PM (EST)
24. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
Wooohooo, MB and company watch out here we come. Good to have you on board Who.

weecama 305 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

05-17-05, 00:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weecama Click to send private message to weecama Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
I am Green with Envy , I can't wait to hear how this trip turns out WooHoo !! Meantime I guess I'm stuck with visiting Guatemala through Google. Just looking around ..

Sites About the Ancient Maya

a few videos ~
El Castillo at Equinox

Hotel Jaguar Inn, Tikal, Guatemala

Famous Crystal Skulls

~puddin~

05-17-05, 09:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Dakota Click to send private message to Dakota Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
My advice: 1. Take your laptop and keep us informed.
2. Have fun! 3. Keep taking those malaria pills after you get home.

05-17-05, 09:36 AM (EST)
29. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
I was thinking of taking my laptop, but just not sure how wise that would be. Instead I may just bring a journal and take copius notes and then transfer them to type when I get back. I think my target will be to pack light and be mobile, able to go wherever at the drop of a hat or a lead.

I've ordered the guide books and maps and now the research phase is on.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-05, 10:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
Remember you get bonus points if you manage to get caught on camera in the background.

Even more points if you can wave a Survivor Blows Flag and get that caught on camera

05-17-05, 10:31 AM (EST)
32. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
My advice: If you have a large traveller's backpack, take that, or you might even want to buy one. They're carry-on size, which makes for easy airport times, and plus, you don't have to worry about lugging a suitcase through the muddy trails. Just put it on your back! Yes, it is possible to pack for two weeks. I made it in Spain for 3 weeks with just that bag, plus another bag that I had collapsed in that bag that I put souveniers in the last day.

05-17-05, 11:00 AM (EST)
33. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
Yep, that is exactly what I was thinking of doing. Just one backpack with all the essentials and I am on my way.

05-17-05, 11:05 AM (EST)
35. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
You and me? Gonna have so much fun!

byoffer 15947 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-05, 11:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail byoffer Click to send private message to byoffer Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
Don't forget to sew a Canadian flag onto the backpack. Not sure about the reaction to Americans in Guatemala, but this was an old American backpacker trick to get better received in Europe.

I lived out of my backpack for 11 weeks way back when traveling around the south Pacific. I could sell you my old pack. It is a little dusty, but has a nice Canadian flag on it (but then, I actually am Canadian!)

Happy trails!

05-17-05, 11:43 AM (EST)
37. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
Oh most definitely. That's the good part about latinos. They can't tell the difference between us USA peeps and the Canadians!

(Plus, is there anyone who doesn't like Canada?)

justwrong 63 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

07-02-05, 10:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail justwrong Click to send private message to justwrong Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
55. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
you mean besides us americans?

jchuza 4 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

05-18-05, 02:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jchuza Click to send private message to jchuza Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
47. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
In guatemala we dont care about canadian flags, british flags, anything, all are foreiners and all are called gringos. (nickname for americans) This place is packed anyhow with americans each day that come to tikal, the main city.

Scarlett O Hara 3439 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-05, 12:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Scarlett%20O%20Hara Click to send private message to Scarlett%20O%20Hara Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
Well ... DONT forget your digital cameras!!! And DO make friends with a cast member or cute crewmember so we can get the inside track information for next season! After all, we've got to continue the great spoiling of Bianca and Mersaydeez! Except next year, it could be the great spoiling of KObrien_Fan, ClemsonBeav and WhoamI!!

Go get 'em! Wish I could go too!

05-17-05, 12:42 PM (EST)
39. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
and possibly Volsfan, too!

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-05, 09:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
42. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
I am giving it some serious thought. I am going to do some digging this weekend when I get a chance. I will make up my mind in the couple of weeks for sure.

redbeard103152 466 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

05-18-05, 06:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail redbeard103152 Click to send private message to redbeard103152 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
45. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
Thats the best thing about spoilers. Theres always someone ready to pick up the torch and run with it. Already the interest in next season is building.RedBeard

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

07-05-05, 04:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
56. "I know the trip is kinda in "ruins"...but..."
Here's a great idea for anyone who still wants to help out with a little sluething.

Guided and everything.
Copper Canyon Adventures

You can call yourself the "Accidental Tourist"

07-05-05, 06:02 AM (EST)
57. "RE: I know the trip is kinda in "ruins"...but..."
But did you see the price they are asking? You can do it for half that by planning trip yourself. It would be interesting to see how much they actually show you though.

Please sign up for my Survivor Trivia Game, it starts July 5th.

lisamb9 2 desperate attention whore postings

07-07-05, 01:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lisamb9 Click to send private message to lisamb9 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
58. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
Seriously?? Wish I could take off and go out prodding with you.

syren 5418 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-05, 07:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
From Fever:

"VoiceOver by Jeff Probst

Hidden deep in the rainforest of Central America, stand the ruins of an ancient civilization that once prospered and then vanished. These were the Maya people and this is the country of Guatemala. These stunning cities of the past stand as clues to a mystery thousands of years old.

While Europe was in the dark ages, it was the Maya who harnessed the knowledge of the stars and the celestial movements to create a mystical union of man, nature and the Gods. It was a world of great kings, elaborate ceremonies, fierce battles and even human sacrifice.

18 Survivors will be marooned within this mysterious and rugged terrain. For the first time, the castaways will actually live within the ruins of a vanished civilization and they will be forced to embrace the ancient Maya lifestyle. Join us this fall as the adventure continues with Survivor: Guatemala, The Maya Empire."

mmm_link 426 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

05-17-05, 11:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail mmm_link Click to send private message to mmm_link Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
"For the first time" and "within" sounds like they are going to get to live within a pre-existing shelter and not have to build one this time, to me.

jchuza 4 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-05, 02:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jchuza Click to send private message to jchuza Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
48. "RE: How can they live in the ruins?"
They cant, the only ruins preserved are the temples for ceremonies, the actual houses where the mayans used to live in where made of wood and palm trees, they are unexistent.

05-16-05, 05:27 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location Information"
LAST EDITED ON 05-16-05 AT 05:30 PM (EST)

Mayo 12, 2005
Sobrevivientes en Yaxhá
Survivor, el "Reality Show" de la cadena televisiva estadounidense CBS será llamado "The Ancient World".

Desde el 18 de mayo hasta el 10 de agosto será filmado en Petén dentro del Parque Nacional Yaxhá-Nakum-Naranjo

This is from Clemson's link. So Yaxha-Nakum-Naranjo National Park is the location and filming is from May 18 to August 10.

I know Clemson said that, but there was still speculation about the actual location and dates.

syren 5418 desperate attention whore postings

05-16-05, 07:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location Information"
Since I have been looking at them off and on all day, thought I would share them here.
The vidcaps from Fever

05-17-05, 01:18 AM (EST)
27. "RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location Information"
Number 18 shows, at the bottom right, the top of an 'I' shaped sports court with high walls all around it. Number 9 shows a ring that is used in the same sport, the ball has to go through it. The rings are mounted up high along the sides of the 'I'. I don't remember the details, but this Mayan sport is something like a combination of basketball and soccer. Here's some raw speculation: at least one challenge will be based on this sport.

Some of the shots are definitely from Tikal, although the Spanish links said the show would definitely be filmed in Yaxha.

aethelstan 4435 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-05, 10:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location Information"
This sport, called, pok a pok is quite interesting because, if I recall correctly, the winner got to take the spectators clothing! The losers, well, sometimes, the losers lost their heads.

Here are some details about the game.

In that link, you'll also see another game, juego de pelota, described.

©Syren, 2005. Bounced by IceCat!
I've been to Guatemala but I didn't have a chance to go to Tikal which I truly want to do someday.

05-17-05, 06:31 PM (EST)
40. "RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location Information"
That's a good link. I am impressed that you knew the name, and I have to admit I am surprised that I remembered anything accurately about it at all. It was a long time ago that I was there. Do you think it is exploitable for a challenge ... or two?

Tikal is special, but there are other ruins, like Chichen Itza and elsewhere in Mexico, that are lots more accessible and probably just as good. Have you been to others?

aethelstan 4435 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-05, 09:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
46. "RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location Information"
The only Mayan ruins I've had a chance to visit were in Belize, Altun Ha. If I had had more time in Belize, I may have visited Caracol (which has an altar commemorating their victory over Tikal, suggesting that Caracol was the Mayan top dog) and Xunantunich which are both considerably larger than Altun Ha.

I didn't specifically remember the name. I thought it was called pelota and googled 'Mayan pelota' and got that site. I have a pretty good memory usually but certainly not that good.

Welcome to Blows, Karchita!

©Syren, 2005. Bounced by IceCat!

trillium 81 desperate attention whore postings

05-19-05, 00:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail trillium Click to send private message to trillium Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
49. "RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location Information"

>Tikal is special, but there are
>other ruins, like Chichen Itza
>and elsewhere in Mexico, that
>are lots more accessible and
>probably just as good.
>Have you been to others?
>
I've been to Palenque, Uxmal, Tulum and Chichen Itza. Also the ruins just north of Mexico City (can't remember their name).

Would have loved the opportunity to be a Survivor amongst the ruins!

05-17-05, 06:48 PM (EST)
41. "RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location Information"
Here's a link to a forum with good info on travel in Central America:
<http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/categories.cfm?catid=12>

And here's a thread of a discussion from that forum of Survivor coming to Guatemala:
<http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/messagepost.cfm?postaction=reply&catid=12&threadid=795710&messid=6763492&STARTPAGE=1&parentid=0&from=2>

They are a little rougher crowd than Reality World, but they know the area.

These are two of the main forums I hang out on and my worlds are colliding.

littletown 85 desperate attention whore postings

05-17-05, 10:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail littletown Click to send private message to littletown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location Information"
that game, sounds like a possible reward challenge, and sounds like maybe the reward would be to loot the other tribe.

tribephyl 12393 desperate attention whore postings

05-18-05, 04:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail tribephyl Click to send private message to tribephyl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
44. "RE: Survivor: Guatemala Location Information"
Thanks for the links Karchita.

I hope that these folks will eventually supply us with some very valid and informative snippets about the location, pre-show.
(Aside from Ticotim, that is. Can't look too deeply at the clues if you're too busy blaming everyone for asking for them in the first place.)

I wouldn't know about your "world's colliding" as the only boards I participate are survivor oriented. But I feel for you anyways.

tribe
I imagine it to be right up there with having to go to a sexaholics meeting ... and your mom is there.

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings

05-20-05, 03:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
50. "Hurricane Adrian"
The filming for S11 was reported to be scheduled to start May 18...that would mean that Hurricasne/Tropical Storm Adrian will probably make an appearance during the first episodes...probably won't be much fire building during the first episodes unless the ruins they are reported to inhabit, will provide some shelter from the storm.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7896963/
MSN Report.

Krautboy

05-20-05, 03:21 PM (EST)
51. "RE: Hurricane Adrian"
Actually, Survivor has the park blocked off for the dates May 18th to August 10th, so I think they are just there building TC, LL and challenge stuff. I doubt that the cast is even on site yet.

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings

05-20-05, 04:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
52. "RE: Hurricane Adrian"
Thanks KOB...I remembered the May 18th date, but not the details. It makes sense that they would need time for construction and prep before the actual filming starts.

Thanks for clearing that up...

Krautboy

dreamerbeliever 3380 desperate attention whore postings

05-26-05, 00:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dreamerbeliever Click to send private message to dreamerbeliever Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
53. "Rainy Season in Guatemala"
Looks like the new batch of contestants have a brutal time ahead of them. Rainy season + mosquitoes = misery! Really hoping that it's not raining for most of the season like it did during all-stars. It just doesn't make for great scenery shots. Hoping the rainy season is more like parts of Florida in that it rains everyday but only for half an hour.

CBS story from a few days ago ...

(CBS/AP) Guatemalan officials are hoping that the new edition of the CBS reality show "Survivor" will draw more tourists to the spectacular Mayan ruins of the Peten jungle.

"It is a program seen by 200 million people and we have the opportunity to show our archaeological riches," presidential tourism commissioner Willy Kaltschmitt said on Friday.

The American television network announced last week that the next edition of Survivor would be called "Guatemala — The Maya Empire." Earlier versions were shot in places such as Australia's Outback, Palau, Thailand and the Amazon region.

The CBS program not only presents the contestants' antics, survival challenges and personalities, but also showcases the wonders of nature surrounding the drama. For example, on "Survivor: Palau," winners of a challenge swam with rare non-poisonous jellyfish. Others were greeted by friendly dolphins.

Kaltschmitt said he hopes the program, set at the Yaxha archaeological park, will fit into government efforts to promote the heritage of the Maya cultures that flourished across the region about 2,000 years ago.

"If we wanted to pay a minute of television around the world to promote Yaxha, it would take the annual budget" of the government tourism institute, he said, noting that Palau saw increased tourism attention from the just-finished series.

Kaltschmitt said a camp for the series' staff and competitors would be established next week and filming would start in June.

Yaxha is a few miles northeast of the famed Maya city of Tikal. The region is noted for mosquitoes as well as ancient architecture and the competition will take place during the rainy season in an area that sees rain, on average, 185 days a year.

CBS accepted restrictions required for activity in a national park, Kaltschmitt said, and Guatemala promised to facilitate the program.

Rabid_Gator 1 desperate attention whore postings

07-13-05, 11:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Rabid_Gator Click to send private message to Rabid_Gator Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
59. "RE: Rainy Season in Guatemala"
Looking at the projected path for Tropical Storm Emily, it would come very close to Guatemala on Monday 7/18. I do not know what day of filming this works out to be, but it could be VERY rough weather! Check out this link from the NOAA. Note that they predict that it will be a hurricane when it makes landfall.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5%2Bshtml/144629.shtml?5day?large

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •