The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Rite of Passage"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

KellyL 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

09-13-04, 06:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KellyL Click to send private message to KellyL Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Rite of Passage"
I've done some researching on the Vanuatu Rite of Passage and a very prominate one throughout the tribes is:
The men of Pentecost Island in the South Pacific nation of Vanuatu dive from 100-foot towers as a test of their manhood, with only a vine around their ankle to save them.

Deep in the jungle of Pentecost Island, part of the Vanuatu archipelago of the South Pacific, young men fling themselves from wooden towers 100 feet high, with nothing but slim tree vines to stop their fall.

They have no nets and no safety equipment, no water or cushions to soften the impact.

"If you come and the two vines break, it means you break your neck, or your backbones, or maybe your legs," says village leader Luke Fargo.

But Fargo says they have to do it, despite the dangers. "It's our traditional thing, so we must do it from year to year."

The tradition, known as "land diving," dates back centuries. It originated as a rite of passage for young men trying to prove their manhood.

The idea is to jump from as high as possible, and to land as close to the ground as possible.

It is also a harvest ritual. The islanders believe the higher the jumpers dive, the higher the crops will grow.

A Precision Art

Building a dive tower is a time-honored science. The wood has to be strong, so it is freshly cut. The vines that hold it together and act as jump ropes have to be supple and elastic, with plenty of sap inside. Otherwise they might snap.

A trusted village elder selects which vines to use, matching them to the weight of each jumper. Then the ends are shredded, so the fibers can be twisted into a loop for the jumper's ankle.

The judgments have to be precise. Just 1 ounce too much weight, or 1 inch of dry vine, can cause the vines to snap, slamming the jumper into the ground. A fall can cause serious injury, or even death.

When Britain's Queen Elizabeth visited Vanuatu in 1974, the Pentecost islanders put on a land diving show for her. However, it was the wrong season and the vines were dry — so they snapped, with diver after diver hitting the ground. One of them later died, the only fatality in living memory.

Putting on a Show

Land diving has now become an industry on the island. The villagers earn money from tour companies who send foreigners to watch their exploits.

Attracted to the danger, extreme sports enthusiasts from all over the world offer to pay hundreds of dollars to try land diving themselves.

"They tried to ask us to do it, but we don't allow them, because if they miss, maybe they get injured and sometimes they die," says Fargo.
(abc news)

So maybe the castaways will watch some of the men of the tribe do this, because I doubt they would put them in that kind of danger to do it themselves.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Rite of Passage lovwigglesworth 09-13-04 1
 RE: Rite of Passage miamicatt 09-14-04 2
   RE: Rite of Passage dabo 09-14-04 3
       RE: Rite of Passage divawife 09-15-04 4
           RE: Rite of Passage dabo 09-15-04 5
               RE: Rite of Passage PepeLePew13 09-15-04 6
                   RE: Rite of Passage miamicatt 09-15-04 7
 RE: Rite of Passage volsfan 09-15-04 8
   RE: Rite of Passage volsfan 09-15-04 9
       RE: Rite of Passage miamicatt 09-15-04 10
   RE: Rite of Passage Draco Malfoy 09-16-04 16
 The pig lovwigglesworth 09-15-04 11
   RE: The pig divawife 09-16-04 12
       RE: The pig Capn2patch 09-16-04 13
       RE: The pig dabo 09-16-04 14
           RE: The pig foonermints 09-16-04 17
 RE: Rite of Passage dabo 09-16-04 15

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

lovwigglesworth 239 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-13-04, 08:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lovwigglesworth Click to send private message to lovwigglesworth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Rite of Passage"
I've seen a pig with the natives in the previews as well. Maybe the "horror" faces of some of the people is when they bleed the pig.

miamicatt 9247 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-14-04, 12:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail miamicatt Click to send private message to miamicatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Rite of Passage"
LAST EDITED ON 09-14-04 AT 12:16 PM (EST)

I also found this bit of info, regarding kava kava and the traditional preparation of the beverage in Vanuatu. I was trying to determine what was happening in the preview with the natives (what are they chopping) and the Survivors (why are they so grossed out?):

"Preparing Kava-kava:

For natives of the South Pacific, the daily ritual of preparing kava is considered important. Kava is always consumed fresh, there are never any leftovers used. As always, its drunk at sunset. This is done according to custom and to ensure that a person sleeps well at night.

The factors that contribute to drinking the finest kava-kava always means that the root is at its peak of potency, and that it is prepared according to tradition. Many missionaries and foreigners had a difficult time accepting the custom of pulverizing the root of the plant as it was prepared by mastication. Approximately 300 years ago young maidens did the kava mastication, but that also varied from island to island. As the root is very tough and fibrous, only very thorough chewing would soften it to a pulp. Saliva was mixed in with the root, further speeding up the process. To the explorer Captain Cook, the process was seen as revolting. In the 1800s, missionaries banned drinking of kava, partially due to the way in which it was processed. In the book Kava Medicine Hunting in Paradise by Chris Kilham, he describes the mastication process: Researchers believe that the reason for this difference is that mastication liberates more kavalactones, because saliva contains an enzyme which breaks down the starchy components of the pulp.

Other methods of preparing the root include smashing it with a solid stick of wood in a device that resembles a butter churn. Pounding kava root with a stone or grating it with coral are methods employed in some Fijian communities. More up to date methods consist of putting the root into a meat grinder or power mulcher.

The next stage of making that kava drink consists of placing the ground up root onto a wooden board or a large wide bowl. Cold water is poured over it. In some parts of the South Pacific a small plastic washtub is used; the tub almost filled to the top with water. The yellowish-brown kava root is mixed with the water and stirred well, then strained through nylon, or in more traditional villages, palm fiber. In true South Pacific fashion, the refreshing non-alcoholic kava beverage is served in a coconut shell."

Not too gross, based on some of the other things we've seen on Survivor, but I know if I had to drink something I just watched someone spit in, I'd probably be a little grossed out!

MC Kitt-Katt in the hizzouse

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

09-14-04, 12:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Rite of Passage"
Oh boy! If they're getting them loaded on kava first day and then sending them to their camps after sunset, that is definitely wicked!

divawife 43 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

09-15-04, 00:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail divawife Click to send private message to divawife Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Rite of Passage"
It's late and I am a newbie and what the heck here goes nothing...I thought I saw it mentioned someplace about Vanuatu and the significance of pigs-pigs used in a challenge, pigs eaten, pigs hunted something.
Looking at the faces during the "rite of Passage" I think the natives kill a pig for the new Tribes to feast on. And I think they kill the pig in a blunt traditional way right in front of them blood and all.
I got this from a "Vanuatu A-Z Visitors" web guide:
"PIGS
Pigs are like money and still play an important role in Ni-Vanuatu culture. They’re used in traditional ceremonies, in trade negotiations, and marriages. They are presented to the wife’s family after the birth of the first boy. They are used as a gesture of peace with the tusk from a pig’s head being used as a symbol of remembrance. Pig tusks are also made into armbands and bracelets, which can also be found in jewellery stores in town. A beautiful example of a pig’s tusk is at the Museum and Cultural Centre. The tusk was presented to Queen Elizabeth who in turn donated it back to the Museum for the people of Vanuatu. Ceremonial pig killing is part of custom and should be avoided if the occasion arises and you think it may not be a pleasant experience. It certainly isn’t for the pig as the dispatch is very rarely immediate. Tusks are represented symbolically in Vanuatu’s flag, currency, Air Vanuatu’s logo and on Tusker beer labels."

09-15-04, 01:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Rite of Passage"
Good stuff. I hit the search engine and found this:

http://www.pacificbliss.com/journal108.html

The Festival began on Monday morning with a short walk along a stony footpath to the natives’ pride and joy: a double waterfall, as dramatic as any we’d seen in all of New Zealand. “If this natural wonder were there, it would be fully marketed,” said Gunter as we gazed in wonder at the dual rivers high above as they tumbled down over giant, jutting rock formations, falling into a deep, dark pool of water close to the sea.

The snake dancers opened each day’s events. To the beat of native drums, Ni-Vanuatu males pranced around the grounds carrying striped sticks with feathers attached, their faces and entire bodies painted with black with white stripes. We had seen snake dancers from the Banks cavorting on the cement around the pool during cocktails at the on Iririki Resort near Port Vila. That performance paled in comparison to the real thing!

Then came the first step of a typical Vanuatu grade-taking event: the pig killing ceremony. It began with the pig killing dance, the wildest I’d witnessed in all of the Pacific Islands dancing we’d seen in the past two years. The dancer wore a headdress consisting of a white band into which were inserted springy sticks tipped with white feathers. His face was blackened and he wore a long, Rasta-like fake beard that hung below his waist. In his left hand, he held a bow—a neon orange ball of fruit stuck to the end; in his right, the arrow which would be aimed at the pig. Flowers and plants banded each muscular triceps; woven grass banded his ankles. A woven pouch hung around his waist, and below his grass skirt, his legs and feet were blackened. Men in grass skirts drummed the tamtams while the fierce dancer stomped and grunted and groaned.

I could see the unsuspecting, ill-fated pig tied to the front of the platform. A set of warriors came forth to ‘hog-tie’ him; then his neck was shot through with an arrow, presumably to silence him, since he never squealed. Next came deathly blows to the head with a huge carved club. Soon, he lied still. Following the gutting, the intestines were buried in front of the platform. The family stood in front of the pig and the retiring chief gave a long, fiery speech with much waving of arms in their native dialect. The speech was followed by the placing of pig’s blood on the temples of each member of the new blood-line, including the children.

Monday afternoon a kastom dance was performed by the males. All wore grass skirts and woven armbands and anklebands. Some pounded on an assortment of tamtams while others danced shaking bags of nuts. After that performance, the women joined in and soon the dancers were bringing participants from the audience.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-04, 06:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Rite of Passage"
After all the ado in the past with PETA and the killing of a pig in Australia, I'm not sure if MB and co. wants to deal with another hubbub over a pig kill... so I'm more apt to believe that it could be something like kava than a pig sacrifice.

©Slice & Dice Chop Shop 2004
Scratch and sniff

09-15-04, 01:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail miamicatt Click to send private message to miamicatt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Rite of Passage"
LAST EDITED ON 09-15-04 AT 02:01 PM (EST)

That was my thought too Pepe. The bungee-jumping seemed to dangerous, the pig-killing seemed too controversial -- the kava thing was all I could find outside of those two that was defined as a "rite of passage" in Ni-Vanuatu culture.

It will be interesting to see nonetheless!

ETA: Well, based on the conference call thread in here, I'm starting to think the pig thing is going to happen.

Give {{hugs}} to Pene and Pippy for me!

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-04, 02:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Rite of Passage"
Well, from BDE's thresd about Jiffy's interview we get this:

Are you bracing for a PETA protest on the pig during the first episode?
Jeff: That is as common there as driving to get a cheeseburger here. It’s how they live. If we are going to talk about it let's talk about it. I am an animal love and won't judge a country on slaughtering a pig. I’m sure PETA will come after us but I’m not losing sleep over it, part of the world that I live in.

I am not saying that this will be the rite of passage but he admits they do slaughter a pig on the first episode!

Director of Public Relations for GAWKUR!

volsfan 19846 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-04, 02:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail volsfan Click to send private message to volsfan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Rite of Passage"
I wonder if they have to drink the blood? Wasn't it Africa that had to drink the cow's blood? Just a thought...

09-15-04, 02:32 PM (EST)
10. "RE: Rite of Passage"
Yes, it sure was. And it was indeed fresh. *shudder*

MC Kitt-Katt in the hizzouse

Draco Malfoy 10525 desperate attention whore postings

09-16-04, 07:05 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Draco%20Malfoy Click to send private message to Draco%20Malfoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Rite of Passage"
And somewhere off in the distance, a single tear falls from Mike Skupin's eye.

lovwigglesworth 239 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

09-15-04, 02:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail lovwigglesworth Click to send private message to lovwigglesworth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "The pig"
They lengthened the clip during the previews during TAR last night and you can definately see the guy hit a pig over the head and kill him.

divawife 43 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

09-16-04, 00:44 AM (EST)
Click to EMail divawife Click to send private message to divawife Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: The pig"
You mean I actually got a spoiler correct??? Very cool.
I am proud of myself!

It was something about the look on their faces, they knew they weren't going to be harmed "they came at us with spears" because, well because CBS wouldn't kill anyone for ratings (at least not yet).

Should be wild. Can't wait. Now I know what to make for dinner, my husband and I usually eat sushi during Survivor. Goes with the atmosphere and all.
Ribs are probably on the menu now! LOL-sorry couldn't resist.

Glad to be here

Best-
Diva

Capn2patch 2785 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

09-16-04, 01:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Capn2patch Click to send private message to Capn2patch Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: The pig"
Welcome to Blows divawife!!

You hit it right on the head!! Looking forward to more from you this season.

09-16-04, 01:33 AM (EST)
14. "RE: The pig"
I took a frame by frame look at that segment of the promo.

RITE OF PASSAGE
suspended hog being carried
dancers
... ...
group shot #1, hog (or something) being placed in center "arena"
group shot #2, Vanuatu man with axe standing in same area, raising axe
group shot #3, castaways
group shot #4, Vanuatu man striking downward with axe, slightly different camera angle with carefully placed items blocking sight of hog (or something)
castaway reactions, Dolly is the only one who doesn't seem shocked or otherwise affected by what has happened

Looks like EPMB isn't worried about PETA much, enjoy the ribs!

mmmmmmm, ribssssss!

foonermints 14531 desperate attention whore postings

09-16-04, 07:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: The pig"
Washed down by Kava!Kava! lactones

and spit

09-16-04, 01:46 AM (EST)
15. "RE: Rite of Passage"
Oh, and excuse my tardiness, welcome aboard, KellyL. Good first post.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •