The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Gender Imbalance"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

clemsonbeav 4208 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

08-11-04, 00:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail clemsonbeav Click to send private message to clemsonbeav Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Gender Imbalance"
Given Snewser's latest poll on gender imbalance, I've been thinking on whether it could happen.

The All-Knowing Snewser writes this:

In the promo that aired tonight, a scene at the ocean shows some individual objects, perhaps 18 of them, floating in the water. Whether this represents an individualistic makeup at the start of the game, intead of splitting into tribes right off the bat, remains to be seen.

That scene links to this cap:

This is purely speculation. Maybe all 18 castaways are dumped out of the boat without a tribe. They are each told to swim to their own boat, and then, given a map, are told to make their way to one of two (or three) beaches. The first 9 (or 6) castaways to reach that beach form that tribe.

The castaways would right off the bat have to think on who they'd want to be teammates with. Would the guys want other girls on their tribe, or vice versa? This would introduce this so-called "gender imbalance."

So, I think I've gotten my point across. Feel free to comment.

Blog

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Gender Imbalance dabo 08-11-04 1
   RE: Gender Imbalance Capn2patch 08-11-04 2
       RE: Gender Imbalance Brownroach 08-11-04 3
           RE: Gender Imbalance ohboy 08-11-04 5
           RE: Gender Imbalance Capn2patch 08-11-04 6
               RE: Gender Imbalance clemsonbeav 08-11-04 7
                   RE: Gender Imbalance Capn2patch 08-11-04 8
                       RE: Gender Imbalance clemsonbeav 08-11-04 9
       RE: Gender Imbalance caveman 08-11-04 4
           RE: Gender Imbalance bdemoney 08-18-04 10
               RE: Gender Imbalance Brownroach 08-18-04 11
               RE: Gender Imbalance SurvivorBlows 08-18-04 12
                   RE: Gender/Age Imbalance Capn2patch 08-18-04 13
                   RE: Gender Imbalance SurvivorBlows 08-18-04 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-11-04, 01:23 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Gender Imbalance"
Possibly the tribal determination is made by which boat/raft they select but they have no way of determining one tribal boat from another, they just have to follow the map to camp that they find on the boat/raft they've selected. Entirely random tribal selection would favor gender imbalance, in fact it would be pretty unusual for it to create the traditional gender balance.

"If all machines were to be annihilated at one moment, so that not a knife nor lever nor rag of clothing nor anything whatsoever were left to man but his bare body alone that he was born with, and if all knowledge of mechanical laws were taken from him so that he could make no more machines, and all machine-made food destroyed so that the race of man should be left as it were naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

Capn2patch 2785 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

08-11-04, 12:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Capn2patch Click to send private message to Capn2patch Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Gender Imbalance"
- True but there are still more females than males. Looks like 10 to 8, even more if Chris Daugherty is female.

- Would that then make males somewhat valuable and encourage the women to cannabalize between themselves? At least in the early going.

- Looks like more than 18 floatation devices out there. But the idea of the tribes shaping themselves is interesting. Perhaps this is where "someone gets burned".

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

08-11-04, 12:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Gender Imbalance"
Actually there are 9 contestants of each gender. But in two tribes of nine, there would be 5 men/4 women vs. 4 men/5 women at best, so no matter how you slice it they won't be even to start. If there are only two tribes.

Bridge for sale to highest bidder. Call 1-800-BRroach.

ohboy 168 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

08-11-04, 01:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ohboy Click to send private message to ohboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Gender Imbalance"
I think they are going to do the three tribes agian as I think it kept the game interesting on S8 and new alliances are formed and back stabbing begins early and if the one tribes cna stay in it a little longer it might be good. I.e the tribe is S8 that just lost all the time.

I don't think they will do two tribes of 9. But that is just my opinion

08-11-04, 01:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Capn2patch Click to send private message to Capn2patch Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Gender Imbalance"
Are Lea Masters and Chris Daugherty confirmed male?

08-11-04, 01:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail clemsonbeav Click to send private message to clemsonbeav Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Gender Imbalance"
I think Lea is male, and Chris is too I'd assume. Here's what I get at.

FEMALE
Julie
Leann
Ami
Jenean
Eliza
Mia
Lisa
Scout
Twila

MALE
Rory
JohnK
David
Chris
Lea
Brook
JohnP
Travis
James

08-11-04, 01:54 PM (EST)
8. "RE: Gender Imbalance"
"Lea" Kind of an odd name for a guy isn't it? Shoul'da called 'im Sue!!

08-11-04, 02:05 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Gender Imbalance"
Yeah, but see here for an exerpt on him. He's from the great state of South Carolina!

Blog

caveman 91 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

08-11-04, 01:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail caveman Click to send private message to caveman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Gender Imbalance"
Looks like all of the outriggers are pointed in the same direction and heading for the closest stretch of beach. Very likely (if this is the Day 1 landing) that the tribes have not yet been established. Each player in their own outrigger is a great way to find out who the weakest physical assets are before siding up. Maybe the first two to the beach are the tribal leaders who will select the other players.

Another option: The 1st, 3rd, 5th, male etc, in one tribe. 2nd, 4th, 6th, female etc. also in that tribe. Of course the simplest way would be to hide buffs on the outriggers.

Prior leaks from Vanuatu tell us there are only two tribes so I guess we're looking at 9 and 9. As for gender inequity; I see no reason why they couldn't let the chips fall where they may on that. This game has evolved to a point where physical strength is not nearly as important as it once was. And if it became a lopsided affair, the producers are perfectly capable of modifying the challenges to suit the desired outcomes.

Note: Bonehead (of USG) who posted frequently from his trip to Vanuatu during S9 filming, says the first day of filming (by his records) was rainy and this photo looks too sunny to be footage from the first day.

Caveman

bdemoney 745 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-18-04, 11:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bdemoney Click to send private message to bdemoney Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Gender Imbalance"
Found this article very interesting. Seems to be pretty logical in it's thought process...

Complete article located here: http://www.poppolitics.com/archives/000042.html

Or simply read below:

Survivor: Men vs. Women, Again? Really?

Something’s a bit fishy about this new batch of Survivor contestants. Another battle of the sexes? Less than two years after the last, back in the Amazon? Is it really that simple?

Photos and video released by CBS show that Survivor: Vanuatu’s tribes will indeed be split by gender as their contest begins. And granted, 99 percent of viewers couldn’t care less. But there’s an undercurrent of skepticism among posters on SurvivorSucks -- a community with 32,000 members and one of many online watering holes for fans of the show -- with some commenting that it’s unlikely executive producer Mark Burnett would do “men vs. women” again without some new twist. After all, a not-so-secret ingredient to the show's continued success is that nearly every edition has offered a mutation of previous proceedings -- an unwitting tribal swap in Africa; no food offered in Marquesas, and a random swap; allowing "captains" to choose their own teams in Thailand, along with a delayed merge; Amazon's gender battle; Pearl Islands' "ghosts." Tweaking things each time out keeps players, and viewers, on their toes.

So it would seem unlikely that Vanuatu would merely be an Amazonian redux (albeit with 18, not 16, contestants). Here’s a few reasons all this seems a bit off:

-- The official CBS announcement Tuesday morning on the Early Show did not even mention the male/female split, other than a brief allusion to it by guest analysts/lovebirds Rob Mariano and Amber Brkich. Compare this with the 2003 announcement that Survivor: The Amazon would be men vs. women – that spawned numerous headlines, and was the lead story in that day’s USA Today Life section. Granted, in the case of Amazon, a battle of the sexes was a new gimmick. Still, the omission is odd.

-- Similarly, the official Survivor: Vanuatu Web site appears to completely avoid talk of the gender divide, with contestants’ tribal affiliations also not mentioned. There is no reason to eschew such details if the tribes’ makeup remains intact for at least several episodes.

-- For the first time, the premiere episode will be two hours long, according to several reports. The first six seasons featured hour-long debuts, while last year’s entries, Pearl Islands and All-Stars, had well-received 90-minute starts. Is the 30-minute bonus due to there being 18, rather than 16, contestants? Or, as one Survivor fan speculated, is it because the premiere episode features twists, like, say, an extra challenge or a tribal changeup?

-- Burnett is reality TV’s biggest creative mastermind. It seems antithetical for him to feature another men vs. women battle less than two years after Amazon – especially considering that his NBC smash The Apprentice was structured identically last spring.

-- From a marketing standpoint, the move makes little sense. Battle of the sexes? Been there, done that. Such a move is unlikely to excite too many viewers, unlike the much-publicized “only the clothes on their backs” twist of Pearl Islands’ start and the, um, battle of the sexes in The Amazon. And CBS will want a strong debut in order to take full advantage of the lack of Friends on rival NBC – and to dampen the ratings flame of spin-off Joey.

-- SurvivorNews, a site that always seems to know what happens ahead of schedule – including the identities of all this season’s contestants, if not their exact nicknames -- hinted in weeks past at an unbalanced tribal makeup, such as a tribe featuring five men and four women, and vice-versa. The site also implied the castaways might be divided by age.

Sucksters have had other theories – for instance, that contestants might compete as same-sex tribes, but live in mixed-gender camps (or vice-versa). And others think the battle of the sexes won’t last – perhaps not even for one episode.

Whatever the case, it’s helpful to remember that before the premiere of Survivor: Thailand, CBS promotions strongly implied that that show would feature a gender gap. It didn’t happen. So don’t be surprised if the feature-length first episode of Survivor: Vanuatu begins with its tribes divided by sex -- but ends with a completely different configuration

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

08-18-04, 11:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Gender Imbalance"
LAST EDITED ON 08-18-04 AT 11:53 AM (EST)

That's very interesting, and plausible. On Monday, Snewser had these configurations up:

Tribe One:

James "Chad" Crittenden
Chris Daugherty
Rory Freeman
Lea Masters
Travis Sampson
Lisa Keiffer
Scout Lee
Leann Needles
Twila Tanner

Tribe Two:

David Finta
Brook Geraghty
John Kenney
John Palyok
Julie Berry
Ami Cusack
Mia Galeotalanza
Jenean Neely
Eliza Orlins

These tribes are organized by age. The next day (cast announcement) he switched them to the gender-separated tribes.

Bridge for sale to highest bidder. Call 1-800-BRroach.

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

08-18-04, 11:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Gender Imbalance"
LAST EDITED ON 08-18-04 AT 12:14 PM (EST)

>-- For the first time, the premiere episode will be two
>hours long, according to several reports. The first six seasons
>featured hour-long debuts, while last year’s entries, Pearl Islands and
>All-Stars, had well-received 90-minute starts. Is the 30-minute bonus due
>to there being 18, rather than 16, contestants? Or, as
>one Survivor fan speculated, is it because the premiere episode
>features twists, like, say, an extra challenge or a tribal
>changeup?

I've seen these two-hour premiere reports by some of the online outlets like E! Online and don't know where they are coming from. Yesterday's press release specifically stated:

The identities of the 18 new castaways who will compete on SURVIVOR: VANUATU -- ISLANDS OF FIRE were unveiled today on CBS News' THE EARLY SHOW. The castaways will compete in separate tribes of men versus women when the ninth installment of the hit series premieres Thursday, Sept. 16 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

...and I've seen no subsequent correction. Unfortunately with most of these current day mainstream media outlets, all it takes is one bit of sloppy reporting and several other outlets will run with it, but we'll see, I've sent their PR folks an email asking for clarification.

>-- Burnett is reality TV’s biggest creative mastermind. It seems antithetical
>for him to feature another men vs. women battle less
>than two years after Amazon – especially considering that his
>NBC smash The Apprentice was structured identically last spring.

Yes, and the format was a big part of what made Apprentice a smash hit. "Survivor: The Amazon" was in Spring 2003 -- 18 months ago (not exactly recent) and the gender angle was also one of the most popular parts of the initial part of the show and a big driver of the tribal dynamics -- as it was in "The Apprentice" -- and greatly contributed to making the Amazon edition, in the eyes of many viewers, be one of the most enjoyable recent Survivor editions. I don't see the flaw in revisiting a format that's proven enormously successful in the first two times it was implemented -- and frankly, that's what the entertainment industry does, keep recycling fresh, successful ideas until they stop producing results.

Obviously the tribes will swap/merge/etc. at some point, but there seems to be little real reason (challenge vidcaps, etc.) to suspect that the "men vs. women" announcements is anything but true... exactly what's the upside to lying about the "men versus women" angle and also not heavily publicizing it? I'd like to see an analysis of that... if it was a smokescreen, wouldn't you want to promote the hell out of it in an attempt to surprise viewers? How to you surprise people if they don't weren't expecting some to go down differently than it goes down? IMHO, the logic that the author of this article uses appears to be pretty weak...

08-18-04, 12:48 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Gender/Age Imbalance"
Here's a few logs for the fire. Turn 'em any which way you like.

Julie Berry 31 Chad Crittenden 35
Ami Cusack 31 Chris Daugherty 33
Mia Galeo.. 30 Brady Finta 33
Lisa Keiffer 44 Rory Freeman 35
Scout Lee 59 Brook Geraghty 27
Dolly Neely 25 John Kenny 22
Eliza Orlins 21 Lea Masters 40
Leann Slaby 35 John Palyok 31
Twila Tanner 41 Travis Sampson 33

Average age for the ladies - 34.3
Average age for the men - 32.1

here's where the differences are more apparent

30 or less
ladies - 4
men - 2

31 to 40
ladies - 2
men - 7

41 and up
ladies - 3
men - 0

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings

08-18-04, 03:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Gender Imbalance"
>I've seen these two-hour premiere reports by some of the online
>outlets like E! Online and don't know where they are
>coming from. Yesterday's press release specifically stated:
>
>The identities of the 18 new castaways who will compete on
>SURVIVOR: VANUATU -- ISLANDS OF FIRE were unveiled today on
>CBS News' THE EARLY SHOW. The castaways will compete in
>separate tribes of men versus women when the ninth installment
>of the hit series premieres Thursday, Sept. 16 (8:00-9:00 PM,
>ET/PT)
on the CBS Television Network.

>
>...and I've seen no subsequent correction. Unfortunately with most of
>these current day mainstream media outlets, all it takes is
>one bit of sloppy reporting and several other outlets will
>run with it, but we'll see, I've sent their PR
>folks an email asking for clarification.

I just got a reply back, according to CBS publicists, the release was correct in stating that the premiere is only one hour long, no idea where some of the media outlets heard it was two hours.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •