The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"BB-- Over the Years"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Big Brother Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Glass 381 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

09-05-04, 11:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glass Click to send private message to Glass Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"BB-- Over the Years"
I've been itching to start this new thread for a bit, and I figure that now that we're into the last leg of this season it may be the perfect time.
I'll start by saying that I never caught season one, and caught only the tail end of season two... about the time Kent got evicted. I've since seen nearly every episode of every season, and I rewatch them pretty regularly (LOL, some people watch sports as an outlet... If I didn't overanalyze Survivor and Big Brother, my life would be so confused...).

Here's what I wanted to get your opinions on... it's clear, first of all, that the HG's are getting younger and younger since season 3. That said, my impression is that none of the players from the last two seasons, save a few, would have survived two weeks with some of the monsters from season two and three. Danielle, Roddy, Will I, even Nicole and Hardy... would all have devoured almost any one of the players from seasons 4 or 5, as best as I can guess.
Am I being too harsh on our new fratboy and girl houseguests? Are they really much, much weaker players? Which ones could ever stand up to Roddy or Danielle? Will we ever see the reemergence of the powerplayer?

-Glass

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: BB-- Over the Years motormouth 09-06-04 1
   Reality Shows and the Fountain of Y... HistoryDetective 09-06-04 2
       RE: Reality Shows and the Fountain ... nuk 09-06-04 3
           RE: Reality Shows and the Fountain ... HistoryDetective 09-06-04 4
               RE: Reality Shows and the Fountain ... syren 09-06-04 9
               RE: Reality Shows and the Fountain ... nuk 09-06-04 10
                   RE: Reality Shows and the Fountain ... HistoryDetective 09-06-04 11
                       RE: Reality Shows and the Fountain ... syren 09-06-04 12
           RE: Reality Shows and the Fountain ... Lasann 09-06-04 5
       RE: Reality Shows and the Fountain ... Glass 09-06-04 6
       RE: Reality Shows and the Fountain ... aquariaqueen 09-06-04 7
   RE: BB-- Over the Years syren 09-06-04 8
       RE: BB-- Over the Years motormouth 09-06-04 13
           RE: BB-- Over the Years syren 09-06-04 14

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

motormouth 4507 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

09-06-04, 02:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail motormouth Click to send private message to motormouth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: BB-- Over the Years"
Interesting thoughts Glass. They have seemed to use younger players. What I am not sure about though is whether or not the producers can know who is going to be around long enough to be 'power players'. Mike, for instance, may have been such a player. I think they choose personality first, and then hope drama follows.

Perhaps if they chose older people to play the game, they would have more power players. Older (I'm talking 30+)
players would not be as easily intimidated and naive. Is that what you meant? If so, I agree. The only reason they have so many young people is because the public likes watching the young, good looking kids. (remember Baywatch?)

*Courtesy of IceCat*

HistoryDetective 9516 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-06-04, 08:25 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Reality Shows and the Fountain of Youth"
Thanks for commenting on something that I have also found quite interesting. I was shocked by how young all the HGs are this season. I can understand that the network wants several young players to attract that most coveted viewing demographic, but I think the game would be much more interesting if a variety of ages were represented. In fact, I'd like to see a lot more diversity in the casting. Marvin really stuck out as the only racial/ethnic minority. Will was the token gay guy. (Considering how many straight players develop a "cuddle buddy" strategy, wouldn't it be interesting to put two or more gay people in the house to give them the same chance to forge a "romantic" bond - and, yes, I understand that simply having two gay guys in the same room does not mean that they will automically be attracted to each other; the point is that CBS doesn't even provide an opportunity for that to happen; it's good to have one gay man at a time, but keep him neutered because we don't really want to treat him as a real human being).
Of course, Big Brother is not the only reality show guilty of not being as representative as it might be in its casting. While I give Survivor credit for usually having one black man and one black woman (12.5% of the cast; African Americans are approximately 11% of U.S. population, right?), it might be interesting to actuallyy see two black women interact with each other. Or let us see more than one Latino or Asian American at a time.
Back to the original issue of age: I think that The Apprentice is also really bad in this regard. The always-seeking-the-superlative Donald Trump is supposedly looking for the best businessperson for the job - yet all the candidates are in their 20s or early 30s?! I would have thought that somebody with a longer resume might be better qualified to run one of Trump's companies. (Reports on Bill seem to indicate that he is not really in charge of that building project...)
Sorry to ramble so much (I feel like Drew trying to pinch off a strategy turd), but Glass and Motormouth brought up some interesting ideas that made me jump right up on that soapbox.

nuk 18 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

09-06-04, 09:13 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nuk Click to send private message to nuk Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Reality Shows and the Fountain of Youth"
Please ,don't we have enough of the little girls seeking romance with every guy they meet without having gay men having a love affair in the bext big brother episodes ..... Count me out.This is a game not a meeting bar ..Disgusting .If their was only gay people in this world ,It wouldn't take long before we see the end of it.

09-06-04, 09:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail HistoryDetective Click to send private message to HistoryDetective Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Reality Shows and the Fountain of Youth"
Um, so, is it just gay men that should be prohibited from using "romance" as a strategy, or are you advocating a complete love embargo for the straight contestants as well (because, believe me, the less I have to see Drew and Diane kissing on each other, the better - and Holly sitting on Jase's lap, feeding him food, calling him her little birdie - well, I still wake up in a cold sweat).

I agree with you that Big Brother is not a dating show BUT some HGs ARE given more possible strategies just by the demographics of who is in the house and whether or not sex appeal is a viable option.

And I don't remember suggesting that the Big Brother household should be ALL gay, just have more than a token gay person. As for your comments about "If their was only gay people in this world ..." well, I don't even want to touch that, especially since you used the word "disgusting" as an introduction to that thought.

syren 5418 desperate attention whore postings

09-06-04, 10:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Reality Shows and the Fountain of Youth"
Once again Hdet I am with you on this..was ready to post and saw your name...had to read it becasue I knew you would have some good insight..although I think an all gay household would be highly dramatic...lots of gameplaying..all knowing what they want in the end....MONEY...great TV....

"well, I don't even want to touch that, especially since you used the word "disgusting" as an introduction to that thought."

much better response then what I would have given......yours is better...mine would have gotten me banned......lol

nuk 18 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

09-06-04, 10:58 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nuk Click to send private message to nuk Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Reality Shows and the Fountain of Youth"
Don't turn my words upside down ..It is not natural to see two men or two women kissing ..... this is not how it should be .Like I said I find it disgusting .. If they want to be on that side ..let it be in private, not in front of the whole world and let them be what ever they want between 4 walls I don't have to be witness ,this is their own affair.
I have nothing againts a normal couple which is a man and a woman kissing an cuddling in front of me .....they can be black, blue or red who cares as long as they don't go too far ..... a litte respect . or may be the word RESPECT doesn't exist anymore ...Everything between a man and a woman should not be a public affair
Why not start BB6 with only gay men and lesbians so to please a whole lot of people that find nothing wrong with it and may be the rating would go up

09-06-04, 11:13 AM (EST)
11. "RE: Reality Shows and the Fountain of Youth"
I don't think anybody turned your words upside down. I think everybody read them exactly the way you intended.

09-06-04, 01:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail syren Click to send private message to syren Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Reality Shows and the Fountain of Youth"
"Don't turn my words upside down ..It is not natural to see two men or two women kissing ..... this is not how it should be .Like I said I find it disgusting "

can't see anyone turning them upside down....they are right side up, and the meaning is exactly as you first intended.

Lasann 3616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

09-06-04, 09:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lasann Click to send private message to Lasann Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Reality Shows and the Fountain of Youth"
Nuk, are you a homophobe? Would you also be disgusted with an inter-racial coupling also? I would like to see a better representative group also, older, more ethnic, younger, more gays. I only watched 3, 4, and now 5. Have we had any lesbians? Most straight men think they can turn a lesbian. That would be interesting. This is the only reality show I watch so let's step it up next year!!

Glass 381 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

09-06-04, 09:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Glass Click to send private message to Glass Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Reality Shows and the Fountain of Youth"
ROFLMAO, pinch off a strategy turd!

(Yeah, that's right, I'm not even touching Nuk's comment.)

-Glass

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

09-06-04, 10:21 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Reality Shows and the Fountain of Youth"
I whole-heartedly believe that CBS needs to mix it up a bit more. These 20 year olds outnumbered Mike so much that he never stood a chance. Who was near Mike's demographic that he could have formed an alliance with? Karen, Marvin? Yeah, right.

I can't help but wonder also with these youngsters, they get so cocky and full of themselves, what kind of let down they must endure when entering back into the real world. Let's say about 3 months after the competition when they've pretty much ran the whole TV talk show circuit. They act like they have so much power.

09-06-04, 10:26 AM (EST)
8. "RE: BB-- Over the Years"
LAST EDITED ON 09-06-04 AT 01:26 PM (EST)

Hey mouth lower that age to 28 and up.....lol....I would be a big powerplayer...I definetly am not easily intimidated and far far from naive.......lmao

motormouth 4507 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

09-06-04, 02:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail motormouth Click to send private message to motormouth Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: BB-- Over the Years"
Syren, I am 28 also and think I could have some fun there too. Ok, so 28+ for next season.

*Courtesy of IceCat*

09-06-04, 02:36 PM (EST)
14. "RE: BB-- Over the Years"

Yeah yeah yeah...Pick Me! Pick ME! But I do agree BB needs help picking a more diverse set of housemates......

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •