The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Wisdom and Common Sense of Dr. Stan Katz"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Starting Over Individual Houseguest Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

SpoonStruck 290 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

07-30-05, 09:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SpoonStruck Click to send private message to SpoonStruck Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Wisdom and Common Sense of Dr. Stan Katz"
What do you think about Dr. Stan Katz? From what I've seen of him, he seems like a competent psychologist. He wrote a book (now out of print I think) called something like "The Codependency Conspiracy." The book talks about how codependency and other concepts are laymen's hype that got spread to the mainstream counseling industry. Dr. Stan bashes the notion of being perpetually "in recovery" for this or that. Basically he says stuff like if you don't jog for a decade, then you can't reasonably call yourself a "jogger in recovery" same as if you aren't "addicted" to anything for years, then you can't reasonably call yourself an "addict in recovery." Makes sense to me.

When Dr. Stan had his first interview with Cassie M. and she said she was "in recovery" for ELEVEN YEARS, I saw that Stan had to suppress a noticeable smirk. I also like the way Stan could criticize his own field. Weeks ago (reruns), Kim talked about how her parents had her committed to a mental ward for a bogus sounding diagnosis (when her leg went numb and it was diagnosed a conversion disorder). Stan said that it was an unfortunate trend that years ago, the mental health system was used on people who didn't need it.

I like Dr. Stan, though I wonder about his association with this season of SO. Also, didn't Stan advise Rhonda against going along with Cassie M. and contacting her son's adoptive parents (and then it backfired)?

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Wisdom and Common Sense of Dr. ... Moother 07-30-05 1
 RE: Wisdom and Common Sense of Dr. ... sh33na 07-31-05 2
 RE: Wisdom and Common Sense of Dr. ... SpoonStruck 08-01-05 3
   RE: Wisdom and Common Sense of Dr. ... sh33na 08-01-05 4
       RE: Wisdom and Common Sense of Dr. ... SpoonStruck 08-01-05 5

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Moother 132 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

07-30-05, 11:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Moother Click to send private message to Moother Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Wisdom and Common Sense of Dr. Stan Katz"
Of course since I don't know him personally I can only judge what I have seen and heard him say on the show. So far he has impressed me. It would be hard to talk to someone about personal issues but I get the feeling he is someone I could be comfortable around.

sh33na 451 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

07-31-05, 00:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sh33na Click to send private message to sh33na Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Wisdom and Common Sense of Dr. Stan Katz"
The only problems I've had with Dr. Stan were during a couple of the specials. He made a couple of comments to some of the returning women that made my skin crawl. One was about how one of the women looked really good (Cassie) and one was about how someone had lost weight (Denise.)

Maybe you had to be there. It was creepy for me that he was commenting on their looks instead of saying he was happy to see them again or asking how they are or some other nicety.

To say those things to women with body image and self-esteem and men issues was out of line, IMNSHO. It sends the message that looks are the most important thing about them. That didn't sit well with me.

Otherwise, I've been happy with him. He does seem to tread lightly on the regular shows, but he gets his points across.

08-01-05, 01:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SpoonStruck Click to send private message to SpoonStruck Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Wisdom and Common Sense of Dr. Stan Katz"
I didn't see where Dr. Stan made those remarks to the returning women, but I agree he could've exercised better judgment. Overall, from what little I've seen, I like him and think he's a good psychologist.

I wonder how medical doctors and psychologists deal with their jobs, while remaining well-adjusted people? They're always dealing witht the sick or dark sides of people. It reminds me of a horrible man I used to go out with. He was a cop, and his whole attitude was sour and suspicious. I asked him how he could be that way, and he took offense! Needless to say I quit dating the jerk, but I often wonder about how nurses, teachers, anyone in the helping professions keeps from getting an overly sour outlook on everyday life. I admire those who are able to balance their outlooks, but those people who can't handle it and STILL stay in their jobs -- poo on them. They do more harm than good.

sh33na 451 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

08-01-05, 11:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail sh33na Click to send private message to sh33na Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Wisdom and Common Sense of Dr. Stan Katz"
I'm a Registered Nurse and have dealt with some of those issues. For me, I went through stages. In the beginning, I was going to save everyone and be Super Nurse. Then I realized that was an impossible task.

I went through a period of being cynical. The hospital I worked in for many years was known for coddling people who wanted a vacation from life so they'd check in over holidays or summer breaks. "Puh-leese. There are some really sick people here, so quit yer whinin'!"

Then I settled in for the long haul and realized that life is short, people are people, and it is just a job. In the end, after medicine has done all it can do, you have to relate as people. That's when I became "real," as in the Velveteen Rabbit.

My father was a cop, and his outlook was similar to your ex-boyfriend's. His filters were very skewed, and he was not a happy man.

I don't know how the rest of the world does it, but that's my Monday morning view.

08-01-05, 05:24 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Wisdom and Common Sense of Dr. Stan Katz"
Happy Monday Yeah, I think it's natural for people to go through those stages and ride the learning curve. I'm wondering if maybe the SO LC's judgments got skewed because their priorities changed from coaching to sealing the ratings. I hope season 3 shows that the LCs have found their learning curve...but I'm not counting on it.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •