The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"The downfall of the female Survivor?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Fanatic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Colonel Zoidberg 3662 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

12-17-07, 09:02 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"The downfall of the female Survivor?"
Now, I'm no sexist pig, and in fact, in my fiction, I always felt myself developing my female Survivors even more than most of my male ones, with one exception...but that's beside the point. I'll take you back to May 2004 to start my story.

It's the All-Stars finale, and Amber has just won the game. She's the third female in a row to win and the fifth in eight seasons - Brian was the last man to win. People were even beginning to wonder if it was possible for a man to win anymore - some of the best were voted off as immunity threats; others overplayed their hand or were overthrown as leaders. It was looking like the beginning of the end for the male Survivor - and Vanuatu was going to cement it.

Now I don't need to tell you what happened in Vanuatu. Or Palau. Or the last four seasons, each of which has produced a male winner who, with the possible exception of Aras, is regarded widely as a great player. However, since Jeff's revelation at the All-Stars reunion that female winners were outnumbering male winners 5-3, the opposite has come true.

Since All-Stars, six of the last seven seasons have produced male winners.

And the one female winner...well, let's just say she has a gender-neutral name, a male-dominated occupation, seven brothers, and is perhaps the biggest tomboy in the history of the show, even if some of us don't mind looking at her.

(Although to be fair, one male winner beat six women at their own game, and the other was a reincarnation of Africa's Brandon, so the alpha, dominant, Tom Westman male isn't always the winner. But still, Todd was afraid of a "girl power" vote at F4, so clearly there was something to a male-female division.)

It's not just that, either - since Vanuatu, 62 women have played Survivor. How many are truly memorable?

OK, now how many are truly memorable for something other than their physical features?

Let's see if I can count off the memorable ones - Ami, Twila, Steph, Danni, Cirie, Candice, Parvati, Jaime, Peih-Gee, Denise. Factoring in the recovery time issue from China and the fact that Danni already won, Burnett's going to have a hell of a time picking females for Fans vs. Favorites.

This isn't to say that there are no great female Survivors. There are a few true stars on the list - Twila, Steph, Danni, Cirie, and Peih-Gee all warrant that title. But it does mean this - when females win more often on the seasons written here than they do on the real show, MB's casting crew needs to re-evaluate how they cast women.

One Danni may have been enough for one of my own characters. Even if you include the others I've listed, they don't make up for an entire season of "Who the hell was she?" and about three dozen other unmemorable females who either didn't have a prayer of winning or would have cheesed off the viewers if she had.

And again, this is not to rip all the female castaways or to say that all the men were great - there were some duds in the male half of the cast. But at least we had Chris, Rory, Tom, Ian, Coby, Bobby Jon, James, Rafe, Judd, Gary, Terry, Yul, Ozzy, Jonathan, Earl, Yau-Man, Dreamz, Todd, James, and Frosti. I count 20 - to the 10 females I listed above.

Come on, ladies; if you really think you'd do well on Survivor - APPLY! GET OUT THERE! It looks like MB's actually casting FANS now! This is your chance! RISE UP AND CLAIM YOUR GLORY!

Watch - this will work too well, and the next dozen winners will be female.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: The downfall of the female Surv... Estee 12-17-07 1
   RE: The downfall of the female Surv... Colonel Zoidberg 12-17-07 2
       RE: The downfall of the female Surv... Estee 12-17-07 3
           RE: The downfall of the female Surv... Colonel Zoidberg 12-17-07 5
               RE: The downfall of the female Surv... Estee 12-17-07 7
 RE: The downfall of the female Surv... michel 12-17-07 4
   RE: The downfall of the female Surv... Colonel Zoidberg 12-17-07 6
       RE: The downfall of the female Surv... garcor 12-18-07 8
           RE: The downfall of the female Surv... Colonel Zoidberg 12-18-07 10
               RE: The downfall of the female Surv... garcor 12-18-07 12
       RE: The downfall of the female Surv... michel 12-18-07 9
 RE: The downfall of the female Surv... kingfish 12-18-07 11
   RE: The downfall of the female Surv... Colonel Zoidberg 12-19-07 13
       RE: The downfall of the female Surv... kingfish 12-19-07 14
           RE: The downfall of the female Surv... Colonel Zoidberg 12-19-07 15
               RE: The downfall of the female Surv... michel 12-19-07 16
                   RE: The downfall of the female Surv... Colonel Zoidberg 12-19-07 17
                       RE: The downfall of the female Surv... michel 12-19-07 18
                           RE: The downfall of the female Surv... garcor 12-19-07 19
                               RE: The downfall of the female Surv... michel 12-19-07 20
                           RE: The downfall of the female Surv... Colonel Zoidberg 12-20-07 21

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-17-07, 11:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: The downfall of the female Survivor?"
when females win more often on the seasons written here than they do on the real show, MB's casting crew needs to re-evaluate how they cast women.

Take each fictional female and, using what you believe to be MB's standards, determine whether or not he would have actually cast them.

I'm serious. It may give you some insight into the problem.

12-17-07, 12:07 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to send private message to Colonel%20Zoidberg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: The downfall of the female Survivor?"
Let's see...

Alex? Doubtful. Even you said that it was a borderline moment of insanity that Alex was cast - she was so different from anything else they had ever seen that she was chosen. She's different. People are always afraid of what's different. Would they cast someone who lives alone, hardly ever talks to anyone, has no family visitor, shows as little skin as possible and would probably be more comfortable in a full suit of plate mail than in a swimsuit, and seems physically incapable of smiling? Signs point to no.

Maria? The half-insane, nudist Serbian with a female best friend she's a little too close to and who seems somewhat fascinated by some things we find just a bit mundane? I don't know about you, but if happened upon someone like Maria and I were a casting agent, I'd recommend her.

Hell, I'd cast some of the fictional seasons' loved ones before I'd touch half the jokers MB serves us.

Of course, we'd both be out of a job after both Alex and Maria claimed huge out-of-court settlements for things that were essentially preventable.

12-17-07, 12:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: The downfall of the female Survivor?"
Clarifying a little -- I meant all our females.

Guessing on my own, trying to see how MB and the rest of the team might see it: -- provide your perspective on them if you like, then add your own people:

Mary-Jane's just about an automatic, but they're casting her for all the wrong reasons. They want eye candy: she's a classic milk chocolate with almonds. As soon as they see she can think, things could start to get weird.

In some ways, Angela may have been too intelligent to be cast: the show only seems to like female schemers when it can watch them fail. Her shortsightedness might have shown up on tests and gotten her in -- but again, she's not being cast to win, is she?

Alex is a test case -- this is a personality type we haven't seen before and the gourmet truffle for a chocolatier faction: let's see how it works out. Besides, she'll probably go first and someone has to.

Connie gets on to see how many people she can simultaneously have backing her and screaming for her head. Not as a potential winner: as a ratings lure.

Trina wins the quirk vote: gets on for the same reason Mother Linda did back in Africa. Okay, there are ways in which she could be a little weird and she has no chance to win, but let's see how the rest of the tribe deals with it.

Michelle basically got on through Colleen's model sheet: she was supposed to be an America's Sweetheart. How well have America's Sweethearts ever done in this game?

Denadi's a touch of the quirk vote again plus the need to have an elder female. She might be socially capable, but the producers can readily figure that it's all she's got: her best chance is to be carried early -- and that'll only happen if she's got a strong tribe around her. Is she really being cast as a player?

And finally, we have Robin -- who might be the one automatic 'Hallelujah!' in any casting session. Physically capable, will deliver great confessionals because the woman cannot stop talking to save her life, has a lot of Courtney's innate sarcasm added to enough empathy and compassion that the viewers won't hate her, at least has delusions of strategy, and is just about guaranteed to reach mid-jury unless she fatally trips somewhere, plus she's damn cute good-looking. Robin gets in to be a Character Of The Game. But Robin isn't going in to collect a million dollars...

Some of them might get past the real casting staff -- but is that group looking for players, or for people to fill out the episode count?

Your turn.

Jeff's 'We do believe anyone could win' speech in Episode #3 was pretty much the ideal-case scenario.

12-17-07, 01:44 PM (EST)
5. "RE: The downfall of the female Survivor?"
All right, let's see.

Maria - as stated above, she's too perfect.

Harriet - if they decide they need an evil older woman (picture Kim Johnson with venom dripping from her fingernails) then she's a shoo-in. She's Richard Hatch with a Grandma cover. Just keep her away from sharp objects.

Becky - by the same token as Gary, Ethan, and Ashley, someone like her could get through the casting. I don't know if she would be as good in challenges as I made her (she's probably used to running on a lot more fuel than Survivor generally allows) but I could see someone like her, a solid team player with a hell of a story to tell, getting on the show without too much trouble.

Paula - picture a younger, more attractive, more refined Twila, and change the accent from Missouri to Tennessee, and you have Paula. Truthfully, the casting department was probably exchanging high-fives with each other when they found her, right after the drunken kegger thrown in honor of casting Charlie. The fact that they were both embittered single parents was just icing on the cake.

Loretta - an undercover cop won The Mole. Her profession is probably enough to warrant at least a second look, and if she can prove herself in the casting interview, she's a shoo-in.

Catharine - one that I didn't get a chance to develop. Picture someone who's sweet, honest, intelligent, and let's just say she's getting a lot of looks from the opposite sex. Also picture her with a sarcastic, prankster persona (remember, in All-Stars II, she revealed that she was the one who inspired the prank where Charlie and Danni hid Maria's clothes) and she's too good to pass up.

Rachel - hey, they let Courtney on, didn't they?

Elaine - Sue Hawk was pretty much her direct ancestor in terms of risk-taking and bizarre behavior. She would have been a gem if she had lasted longer.

Tara - the token bikini model. Every season has to have one.

I like to think that my cast of women could be good choices. Frankly, it's the men that I thought were lacking.

12-17-07, 02:07 PM (EST)
7. "RE: The downfall of the female Survivor?"
Fair enough. The point I was going for is that in the current series, it's very hard to look at any female contestant and seriously say 'They cast this one to be a player.' Practically all of the women have been brought in to be victims of the game. Some of my cast on that side of the gender divide get in -- but they're not getting in as serious F2 threats. If we did a similar breakdown on the eight China females, we're not going to get a pretty picture.

Ashley: possible challenge threat, but doesn't know alliances, twists, et. all. Probably not much of a danger in the strategy department. Cast for WWE ratings crossover.

Leslie: there for Connie's reasons: she's going to annoy some people, she's going to have others backing her, and it's all going to lead to ratings. Can put together alliances and was better socially than anyone expected -- but couldn't factor in enough stealth. Not a threat.

Sherea: some challenge ability, can't really socialize, no good at alliance building, doesn't work. Not an asset to keep and can't see the flaws in her own game.

Jaime: Not convincing in the talking game, gets played too easily by others, pretty much needs someone to carry her. Tries -- but too openly, which means she's seen as the highest danger in a very weak field just for making any attempt.

Peih-Gee: How did she get here? Can actually play, always trying, forever struggling, desperately trying to make anything work out -- someone who could win, and only her tribemates and the lack of listening ability all around kept her from the million.

Denise: Another Character Of The Game, but a weak one. Wouldn't flip a coin on a million dollars because she was afraid it would land on someone's foot and produce a bruise. Too much of a strategic coward to ever accomplish anything.

Courtney: Useless.

Amanda: Knows enough to fade under the radar and let people take hits for her, but in the end, can't actually talk: no ability to explain her strategy or undermine someone else's. Has at least half a gameplan going and might be able to learn from experience, but has a long way to go.

So: in that view, how many of the females were cast as serious players?

One. With an outside shot at two.

Now -- look at the males. Todd and Jean-Robert as strategists. Frosti and James: serious challenge threats. Aaron with some skill, but the tribal switch killed him. Dave, Chicken, and Erik serve as episode filler.

Four. Some chance at five.

Does that look like equal division of odds to you?

michel 10958 desperate attention whore postings

12-17-07, 12:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: The downfall of the female Survivor?"
LAST EDITED ON 12-17-07 AT 12:46 PM (EST)

Colonel, you didn't include many strong women: S9 Eliza, S10 Angie, S11 Amy, Cindy and Margaret, and S12 Danielle and Courtney.

Reasons why males have done so well since Vanuatu:

- Large casts have meant longer pre-merge, a time where strong men are needed and time to establish leadership.

- Worse is that, in Palau, Cook Island and even Fiji, we had delayed merges. OK, I know that, officially, Fiji merged at 10 but it was really a disguised tribal switch that got Michelle voted off. Shorter post merge is also good for the strong men since that's when they are in trouble. It helped Adam make the F5.

- The women had much less chances to find the HII in Exile Island and Cook Island. Really, only Misty went to Exile Island before the idol was found and with only 1 clue, it was nearly impossible to find that idol. Candice was the only other to go to exile early in the game but it was still too late.

- The post merge challenges in Palau, Cook Island and Fiji almost all favored strong men. Why not more of a balance?

Women can win Survivor but the format hadn't helped them much before China.

12-17-07, 02:03 PM (EST)
6. "RE: The downfall of the female Survivor?"
I guess I sort of see the points you made, but think about this - for everyone you listed that's kind of the second tier of great females (Eliza, Danielle, Angie) I could probably name a counterpoint for the men in terms of strength. I was also going for people who were truly memorable, not just good - Angle and Eliza were probably oversights, as was Danielle. I could also throw in Jamie (Guatemala Jamie, that is,) Brian (again, Guatemala,) and Earl, by the same token.

As for cast size being an issue:

--Vanuatu didn't have anything to do with cast size. That season was designed for a woman to win - and they choked.
--Palau? I'll grant, especially considering that the challenges were exceedingly physical in nature, and Tom was extremely dominant.
--Guatemala was the aberration, and in that season, five men in a row dropped. The last man was tough, but he didn't win because Danni was tougher. Rafe was beaten. Todd could have been beaten as well - he wasn't.
--Exile Island could just as easily have gone to a female - a 16-member cast, a misfit tribe that Pagongs a strong other tribe, a merge at 10, a woman against a rather abrasive man in the finale - but again, Danielle couldn't pull it off and didn't come close. Courtney would have suffered the same fate. Same for Sally. Cirie was the only one who stood a chance - and she was far too weak in challenges.
--Cook Islands wasn't designed to be dominated by men, but it was dominated by two of them. It's a bit of an aberration; Yul and Ozzy were two of the best players the game has ever seen.
--Fiji was a complete bed-crapping as far as women went. Maybe the women were voted off because the tribe kept losing - but let's be honest. Were any of them worth keeping? Did any of them really deserve to win? Nope - again, it's dominated by two stars - both men. The challenges weren't all that male-geared after the merge, either - the first individual IC was geared for a lightweight (who just happened to be Yau-Man.) Next up? A crapshoot. The next one was more male-geared, and the men probably had a bit of an upper hand in the challenge where Earl dunked Dreamz. After that? It's anybody's game, and the final IC probably favored lightweights. I'm even a litte surprised Dreamz beat Yau-Man. I doubt he would have beaten Stacy.
--China was the best opportunity the women have had since Guatemala. Sixteen castaways, a merge at 10, the idol was back at camp, the women were considered assets, and post-merge immunity challenges were all but geared for female winners. The first challenge was a crapshoot, the second was a gimme for lightweight Courtney, and a weakened James falls to a powerful Peih-Gee. She and Amanda, of all people, are the immunity threats. At F5, Todd remains, surrounded by four females. It's Guatemala all over again, only this time, Todd pulls it off.

Even when it seems like a woman should win...she doesn't. That's why I made this thread.

garcor 432 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

12-18-07, 01:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail garcor Click to send private message to garcor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: The downfall of the female Survivor?"
One possibility is that the men playing the last six or seven seasons have learned how to avoid some of the mistakes made by the stronger male players (who didn't win) in earlier seasons.

E.g. Colby in Australia going to Final TC without a convincing argument for why he should win; Rob in All Stars playing the heavy; ROTR 4 in Marquesas making a four person alliance too obvious, turning into the local tyrant like Rupert in Pearl Islands; being openly mercenary as Rob C. in Amazon and John F. in Pearl Islands.

That said, most season's challenges do appear to favor males. China was an exception and China was there to be won by Amanda. Todd simply started his end game sooner and performed it better, claiming for himself what could have been Amanda's argument for why she deserved to win - I really like and respect you but I was playing a game and made all game decisions strategically.

12-18-07, 02:02 PM (EST)
10. "RE: The downfall of the female Survivor?"
I wouldn't rule that out. Yes, some of the men have made costly mistakes in the past, appeared too threatening, or put themselves on the chopping block. The leadership position is the riskiest position in the game, and guess which gender tends to take it on more than the other? Apart from Ami and Deena, leaders of all-female tribes, I struggle to name more than a small complement of female leaders.

Picture this, though - there are still men falling into those traps. Rupert in Pearl Islands basically made himself into an invincible demi-god. However, he failed to watch his back and secure his position, and he failed to take into account the fact that there were those who, very openly, wanted to overthrow him. He seemed to take threats to his position in the game as a personal affront rather than a strategic move, and he seemed to relate to people outside his circle in two different ways - by yelling and screaming or by fishing for sympathy.

Rupert himself seemed to learn a lot going into All-Stars; he lost because he took a risky move in trusting Rob and Amber to the end. However, there are others who failed the lessons of Rupert.

Yau-Man lost because he failed to secure his promise with Dreamz - a simple, "Hey, hand over immunity and I can guarantee you at least a tie" would have been sufficient.

Judd took his ouster as a personal affront rather than Steph and Co. simply ousting a threat. He counted on her word and didn't make sure he wasn't going anywhere. He also seemed to have trouble relating to people - maybe outside the game he's a big, friendly teddybear, but inside the game, he was an oafish moron afflicted with Aaaaaay Deeeeeee Deeeeeee (sorry; that line, to this day, has failed to get old.)

James made himself into a demi-god and was very much this season's Rupert - a hulk in team challenges, the uber-threat come the merge, and the most powerful player in the game. The difference? His strategic blunder was far greater, but he didn't take it personally (I'm sure he's still kicking himself for not playing an idol.)

There are those who have failed to learn, but the learners have largely been male. In the future, there will be many lessons from the defeated females that future gamers must learn.

Ami lost because she fell victim to Rotu mentality - her alliance formed a tepid majority with an inner party of three, but there were seven left. Her outer alliance got wise, and she was gone. Tom, by contrast, waited until it was too late for his outer alliance to turn the tables before he cut them loose.

Steph cut her own alliance out in an attempt to secure herself as the most powerful player in the game. She made promises that she couldn't keep to people who held grudges. Todd, however, simply acknowledged that this was strictly a game move, and he buttered up enough people on the jury that this was acceptable. That, and he brought along two chokers to the final vote. Steph had no choice but to face Danni, who annihilated her.

Danielle left several bitter tribemates in her wake; there were those who preferred a rival tribe member's leader, seen as arrogant, over her. She couldn't relate to them in a diplomatic manner what her game plan was. Yul, on the other hand, was a master statesman, and even those who held him responsible for their ousters were happy to vote for him. Also, he made arrangements to secure jurors' votes before their ousters.

Becky hid behind Ozzy and Yul, letting Yul work as the face of the Aitu alliance. As such, she was seen as a useless accessory and a coattail rider whose only asset was her vote. Factor in a colossal failure to make fire, and she didn't stand a chance against two giants. Earl could have hidden behind Yau-Man, the star of Fiji, but he made sure he had all kinds of relationships before the final vote. Factor in that he faced two clods, and he won in a walk.

Amanda hid behind Todd, let him do the dirty work, and let him be the face of the Fei Long alliance. In a way, she learned very little from the lesson of Becky. Todd, however, came off as a slimier version of Yul. She also came into the jury vote - and choked. Todd was a master speaker. So was Yul. Amanda, Courtney, and Becky showed no traits of good speakers.

In order to overtake the men again, the future Survivor women will need to take more risks, make themselves more known, stop hiding behind slimy or well-spoken allies, and learn to speak with confidence at the final TC. If no woman can do that, the men will continue to win.

12-18-07, 09:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail garcor Click to send private message to garcor Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: The downfall of the female Survivor?"
LAST EDITED ON 12-19-07 AT 07:09 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 12-19-07 AT 07:00 AM (EST)

It is interesting, given the often untraditional casts on recent survivor seasons, how often the tribes fall into the traditional pattern of males playing the aggressive leader roles and women the subordinate roles. (E.g. Terri, Aras, Yul, Adam, Earl, Alex, Todd. Peih Gee was an exception.) If any one part of the game causes this, I think it must be that most of the challenges favor males. Note that three of the four kidnapped players - James, Aaron and Frosti, were male.

Survivor could use more female players like Ami and Peih-Gee as well as more gender neutral challenges.

12-18-07, 01:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail michel Click to send private message to michel Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: The downfall of the female Survivor?"
I'd just like to point out that Exile Island's first challenge was the most physical ever used when men competed against women. The episode #1 challenge in Amazon was physical also but had the balance beam equalizer. Only because Viveros wasn't focused did Casaya's older women take an early lead.

EI was almost designed to have 2 women be the first 2 boots. Once the first physical challenge got rid of one woman, the pick'em guaranteed that a man, the one seen as the weakest, would be immune in episode #2. That also guaranteed that a tribe of 4 men would oppose one of 3 in the very physical "Anchor Management" challenge. It would have been suicidal for Casaya to boot anyone but Melinda or Cirie.

Add one of the biggest male chauvinist and his "Boys' club" strategy and the women never recovered, merging down 6-4. The post-merge challenges were also designed for speed or strength...until the lillypads that is!

Most of Cook Island's immunity challenges were based on speed, favoring, if not all men, certainly Ozzy. Not sure Ozzy, or Terry for that matter, would have done so well in China.

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

12-18-07, 03:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: The downfall of the female Survivor?"
All reasonable points for discussion.

Except....Judd? Dud Judd?

12-19-07, 08:42 AM (EST)
13. "RE: The downfall of the female Survivor?"
I said he was memorable. I didn't say he had a prayer of winning. Frankly, Twila didn't have a prayer of winning, either, and she was still memorable.

kingfish 20752 desperate attention whore postings

12-19-07, 09:59 AM (EST)
Click to EMail kingfish Click to send private message to kingfish Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: The downfall of the female Survivor?"
LAST EDITED ON 12-19-07 AT 10:00 AM (EST)

OK. You're right. And anyway, everyone would have different lists.

But Judd? On a short list of 20?

12-19-07, 10:14 AM (EST)
15. "RE: The downfall of the female Survivor?"
I had to pick 20 or so, and keep in mind, Judd was known for lying about the location of the idol, being a bombastic jerk, calling people "scumbags" on his way out, speaking in a manner unseen before, and, of course, for having Aaaaay Deeeee Deeeee.

By contrast, Eliza was known for...what? Talking too much? Being hated enough to go out before Chris on Ami's short list? Benefitting from the second-biggest power shift in the game's history (when it was more Twila's work than hers?)

I suppose I could have included Rocky, but Rocky was essentially Judd lite.

12-19-07, 02:34 PM (EST)
16. "RE: The downfall of the female Survivor?"
>"By contrast, Eliza was known for...what?"

Eliza became almost a theme of the season: "If you target Eliza, you go home." She was center stage at one of the most incredible Tribal Councils ever and she didn't have to be a howler monkey like Judd.

At F7 TC, Jeff reads the first vote: "Eliza". She turns around to Ami who looks at her with pity as if to say: "Sorry little girl but it's your turn." After a second vote for Leann is read, Julie and Leann start looking around, wondering what's going on. Eliza simply turns to a now worried and frowning Ami. Eliza's expression was priceless. Her eyes said: "Gotcha!"

If that's not memorable, what is? And she won a few challenges also.

12-19-07, 03:37 PM (EST)
17. "RE: The downfall of the female Survivor?"
As I recall, the story of Eliza was pretty much this:

In the beginning, she was an annoying pest, but was not targeted. Then came the switch, and she was again not targeted. She wasn't a threat to anyone. (Why Lisa was a threat is a little beyond me, but it marks the first time Ami's alliance broke character.)

At the merge, the men targeted Ami because they wanted to oust the female alliance leader. Eliza picked up a stray vote when Sarge was booted, and then Chad and Chris targeted Eliza because they thought it might buy them some time. It failed.

The first time Eliza was seriously targeted was F7, and as I recall, it was Twila's gamesmanship that spared her. After that, she wasn't targeted until F4, where she was defenseless.

That's not to say that Eliza's smackdown of Ami wasn't high comedy. It was. But her gamesmanship? Not the theme of the season.

12-19-07, 06:05 PM (EST)
18. "RE: The downfall of the female Survivor?"
LAST EDITED ON 12-19-07 AT 06:09 PM (EST)

Episode #2: It's BowHeads vs BurlyGirls. Dolly tells Ami that the first two votes should be Leann and then Eliza ==> Dolly goes home.

Lisa irritated Eliza when she betrayed Mia ==> Lisa got a surprise elimination.

Rory targeted Eliza after she lost a challenge ==> Rory was voted out soon after.

F9: Sarge voted against Eliza ==> Sarge was voted out

F8: Chad voted against Eliza and tried to get Scout and Twila to do the same ==> Chad was voted out.

F7: Leann proposed to vote out Eliza ==> Leann was voted out.

It certainly wasn't so much her gamesmanship but rather it looked as if Eliza cast a curse. Even her mother's admonishment of: "Be nice to my Lizzie" seemed part of that theme.

12-19-07, 08:20 PM (EST)
19. "RE: The downfall of the female Survivor?"
LAST EDITED ON 12-19-07 AT 08:21 PM (EST)

Wasn't it Scout's idea to approach Eliza. She asked Twila to do it via Chris as Twila had spent time (with Julie) on the men's tribe and so knew Chris.

12-19-07, 10:48 PM (EST)
20. "RE: The downfall of the female Survivor?"
All the sh*t stirred in the women's camp was due to Scout who couldn't win any other way. When Chris realized he had to go to Eliza, he naturally asked Twila if Scout was OK with that because Scout HATED Eliza. Twila answered "Scout knows". Of course Scout knew, it had to be her plan! Twila was always much too hesitant and cautious to make that bold a move on her own.

12-20-07, 11:31 AM (EST)
21. "RE: The downfall of the female Survivor?"
LAST EDITED ON 12-20-07 AT 11:31 AM (EST)

A lot of the early votes were more Ami trying to eliminate potential threats than people messing with Eliza. It was as if Eliza was her own personal barometer, it appears. Dolly said something Ami didn't like? She went. Lisa was on Ami's bad side? So long, Lisa.

As for the men, they were on Ami's crap list anyway for the oldest reason in Survivor history - they were on the wrong tribe. Whether their chromosomal makeup had anything to do with it is open to debate. However, Ami's initial gameplay was very Stalin-esque - any potential troublemaker goes right away - and it worked for her.

Leann went first out of the female alliance (hmm, the "Politburo" sounds like a good name for them) because Ami had immunity. Of course, why exactly it was that Ami went along with ditching Eliza before Chris was a little uncertain; it could have been the act that he put on with his girlfriend, or it could be that the female alliance just decided to get fancy.

Eliza stayed because she was useful to Ami, and then she stayed when she became usedul to Scout and Twila. It looked to me like Twila did most of the dirty work - she was the one who planted the seeds of revolution in Chris's head. She was also the one Ami was the most bitter toward in her final words, which leads me to believe two things - one, that Twila was the one who brought down Ami; and two, that Ami's a sore loser.

Eliza was used throughout the game. It worked for her. By the time she got to the end, she was pretty well aware that she had been used. That seemed to explain the bitterness in her final words...well, that and she just plain didn't like Twila.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •