The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"20/20 Hindsight"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Bebo 21083 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-15-03, 01:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Bebo Click to send private message to Bebo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"20/20 Hindsight"
OK, now that it's over, we can look back at some of the spoilers/speculation and see what did and didn't help us, in order to prepare for upcoming seasons.

Key quotes are still worth looking for, but they won't necessarily give us the crystal clear answer. In hindsight, we had two: Jon's comment about having a million dollars that Sandra wouldn't win, and Rupert's comment that a Drake would win. In hindsight, the liar lied, and one of the heroes told the truth. Personal note: Add me to the list of idiots who believed Jon, even knowing that the guy was a liar.

One trend that had occured in a number of Survivors did not occur here. In Africa, Marquesas, Thailand, and the Amazon, the winner did not come from the dominant tribe. In each of those versions, one tribe dominated early on, only to be decimated in the endgame. This season, Drake had the early advantage, and a Drake won.

As Snewser said, follow the money. Yet again, a gambling spoiler proved true. Last season, we were handed the final 2. This time, it handed the winner to those willing to pay attention.

Just a few things to kick this off...

I am the embodiement of snarky, sarcastic and smart.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: 20/20 Hindsight yensid 12-15-03 1
   Does Sandra have the record? Jims02 12-15-03 2
       it feels good to be wrong...ep1 ana... ivoryElephant 12-15-03 3
       RE: Does Sandra have the record? aethelstan 12-15-03 9
           RE: Does Sandra have the record? PepeLePew13 12-15-03 10
               RE: Does Sandra have the record? dabo 12-15-03 21
 RE: 20/20 Hindsight I_AM_HE 12-15-03 4
 UTR thoughts and confessional analy... Blow by Blow 12-15-03 5
 RE: 20/20 Hindsight Loquatrix 12-15-03 6
 The betting spoiler Loquatrix 12-15-03 7
   RE: The betting spoiler okaloosajohn 12-16-03 32
 the obvious curse Oscirus 12-15-03 8
 About the "key quotes" thing PhoenixMons 12-15-03 11
   RE: About the "key quotes" thing PepeLePew13 12-15-03 12
       RE: About the "key quotes" thing PhoenixMons 12-15-03 13
       Confessionals ain't subliminal... Goooey_Alley 12-15-03 16
       toot my own horn shakes the clown 12-15-03 18
           RE: toot my own horn forehead 12-15-03 24
               Shakes' posts bobstew617 12-16-03 36
           RE: toot my own horn Draco Malfoy 12-16-03 27
   RE: About the "key quotes" thing I_AM_HE 12-15-03 14
       RE: About the "key quotes" thing PhoenixMons 12-15-03 15
           RE: About the "key quotes" thing Krautboy 12-15-03 17
 RE: 20/20 Hindsight tightiewhities 12-15-03 19
   RE: 20/20 Hindsight Rothschild 12-15-03 22
       RE: 20/20 Hindsight FSUGUY 12-16-03 35
           Shii Ann??? Goooey_Alley 12-20-03 47
   haven't seen one of these in a whil... shakes the clown 12-15-03 25
       Well... udg 12-16-03 28
           RE: Well... forehead 12-16-03 29
               RE: Well... dabo 12-16-03 31
           RE: Well... KObrien_fan 12-16-03 34
           RE: Well... GuessItRains 12-18-03 39
               RE: Well... udg 12-18-03 40
 Choosing the Right Spoiler zzz 12-15-03 20
 RE: 20/20 Hindsight GrendelsMom 12-15-03 23
   RE: 20/20 Hindsight dabo 12-16-03 30
   RE: 20/20 Hindsight Brownroach 12-18-03 41
       RE: 20/20 Hindsight I_AM_HE 12-18-03 42
           RE: 20/20 Hindsight Brownroach 12-18-03 43
 increased airtime told me the boot ivoryElephant 12-16-03 26
   RE: increased airtime told me the b... Blow by Blow 12-16-03 33
       the opposite happens of what someon... ivoryElephant 12-18-03 37
 more key quotes, more iffy spoilers badger 12-18-03 38
 Ryno rooting for Darrah to win Brownroach 12-18-03 44
   RE: Ryno rooting for Darrah to win udg 12-19-03 45
   RE: Ryno rooting for Darrah to win PepeLePew13 12-19-03 46
       ryno rooting for darrah ivoryElephant 12-20-03 48

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

yensid 786 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

12-15-03, 01:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail yensid Click to send private message to yensid Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: 20/20 Hindsight"
Also if you look at the past winners, the highest number of votes anyone got before the Final TC was Rich who has 4 total votes. Sandra, Brian (hard to believe), Ethan and Tina, got NO VOTES. Maybe this is something to look for in the future.

Jims02 7407 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-03, 01:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Jims02 Click to send private message to Jims02 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "Does Sandra have the record?"
She only had ONE vote against her all season, from Tijuana, in the Final Two.

Tina, Ethan, and Brian got THREE against them, each finally at Tribal Coucil.

A holiday gift from JSlice

ivoryElephant 2257 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Seventeen Magazine Model"

12-15-03, 01:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ivoryElephant Click to send private message to ivoryElephant Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "it feels good to be wrong...ep1 analysis"
My ep 1 analysis now is defunct, but I am glad since sandra won

aethelstan 4435 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

12-15-03, 03:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Does Sandra have the record?"
Is Sandra also the only Sole Survivor never to have won a single II?

© Kittyloaf Creations, 2003

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-03, 03:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Does Sandra have the record?"
Tina didn't win an II either... but she did win the lame-o Internet Cafe reward challenge.

dabo 26942 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-03, 09:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Does Sandra have the record?"
Yeah, but Tina handed immunity over to Keith at the merge the only way they could do it back then, by quitting the competition.

I_AM_HE 6123 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-03, 02:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I_AM_HE Click to send private message to I_AM_HE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: 20/20 Hindsight"
other things that I have seen noted:

Sandra cursing in her first confessional

Sandra the only one not shown jumping overboard

Sandra's "I liked being a pirate!"

All of these are theme oriented, however, so these types of things may not be quite as useful in subsequent seasons where there is not such an expressed theme.

Also, Ryan's quote for Lill not giving up, if we're looking for things not just dealing with the winner.

Blow by Blow 895 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-03, 02:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Blow%20by%20Blow Click to send private message to Blow%20by%20Blow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "UTR thoughts and confessional analysis"
What we also saw this year is that a UTR player is probably there for a good reason - they don't make for interesting TV. Does anyone remember Nickwho from S2? He and Darrah should get together for some quiet time.

Also, I think I built a coffin for confessional analysis when a review of the numbers showed there was no pre-boot episode rise or drop confessional count trend. They also showed there wasn't necessarily a boot-episode rise, as has always been assumed. (Sorry KB, I always thought this stuff was interesting.)

The deeper analysis of confessionals separating them into "narrative" versus "strategy" or tribe dynamic confessionals still probably has some value because storytellers don't go away immediately. Overall, I'd say confessional analysis is an interesting exercise to see who might be a primary character as the show moves along.

But yeah, the big lesson is to follow the money.

-P

Loquatrix 640 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

12-15-03, 02:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loquatrix Click to send private message to Loquatrix Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: 20/20 Hindsight"
LAST EDITED ON 12-15-03 AT 02:57 PM (EST)

Thanks for startying this thread, Bebo. I imagine we'll be digging up all kinds of hindsight over the next couple of weeks!

Here's an interesting one, courtesy of a poster called Isgal over at Sucks. She says this:

"Well. whether it's a spoiler or not remains to be seen. But. All the player clips in the intro have one or more of the following elements: water, flames or their reflection. skull and crossbones, other players. Every one of the players cllips feature this, and sometimes, as in Rupert's clip, and Darrah's, it's extremely subtle. The only clip that doesn't feature any of these elements is Sandra's."

(Edited to add: She posted this before the Final 4/finale episode aired, btw, and appears to have picked Sandra as her winner because of it.)

I watched the opening credits of the finale show to see if she was right, and she was. The only person who appeared completely alone in the opening routine was Sandra.

In case anyone wants to read the entire thread, it's here (though Isgal's was the only input of any note, IMO):

http://pub207.ezboard.com/fsurvivorsucksfrm2.showMessageRange?topicID=14876.topic&start=181&stop=200

Loquatrix 640 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-03, 03:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Loquatrix Click to send private message to Loquatrix Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "The betting spoiler"
Here's a new article from David Brauder, the guy who originally broke the story about suspicious betting on Sandra.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=529&e=1&u=/ap/20031215/ap_en_tv/tv_survivor_bets

Interestingly, it only took the relatively measly amount of $5,000 in stakes before the betting website concerned became suspicious. Never let it be said that bookmakers don't know their stuff; it's why the house always ultimately wins in any betting situation. They genuinely understand risk.

I wonder if we'll see any fake betting on future winners -- bets planted by CBS to detract attention from any REAL insider bets that may be placed...? Just because so many of us are now aware that money being wagered is a really strong indication that there's good information out there.

okaloosajohn 1259 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

12-16-03, 10:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail okaloosajohn Click to send private message to okaloosajohn Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: The betting spoiler"
I think _any_ betting house that takes bets on the outcome of a TV show which has been recorded weeks in advance of airing, ought to have their heads examined.

Too many people know too much for there not to be a leak somewhere.

--jrh

Oscirus 1596 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

12-15-03, 03:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Oscirus Click to send private message to Oscirus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "the obvious curse"
LAST EDITED ON 12-15-03 AT 03:19 PM (EST)

was ignored here too as the individual winner of the food ic challenge has once again failed to win it all

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

12-15-03, 07:17 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "About the "key quotes" thing"
Just something I've been thinking about for a bit (as I really thought that the "key quote" this season was Jon until the spoilers all screamed Darrah over and over making me doubt my "gut")...

Jon's quote about Sandra not making the F4 and hedging a mil on it was a "negative" quote about someone else. At the time, it struck me as exactly the sort of thing that would be included for perfect irony in the end when Sandra did make the F4 and won the million dollars that Jon was using for his bet. Rupert's "a drake WILL win" is a positive quote and I think the ones like this usually do turn out to be true. So if it's negative, it will probably end up setting up some sort of irony in the end, but if it's positive (i.e. Rich's write the check, and Brian's quote - which I cannot remember), it's probably going to pan out.

I don't have all 7 seasons on tape so it's not like I have every little bit of "key quote" info to back this idea up, but from recollection, it seems to at least be worth mentioning as a possibility. Anyone else have any "key quotes" to back up this theory (or am I just shooting off at the mouth so I can appear to be all spoiler-saavy)?

12-15-03, 07:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: About the "key quotes" thing"
LAST EDITED ON 12-16-03 AT 06:12 AM (EST)

> So if it's negative, it will probably end up
>setting up some sort of irony in the end, but
>if it's positive (i.e. Rich's write the check,
>and Brian's quote - which I cannot remember),
>it's probably going to pan out.

Here's what I can remember off the top of my head the key quotes/incidents relating to the winner: (note, these are not exact quotes but along the lines of)

S1: Dicque's "You can write me the million dollar cheque now"

S2: Tina - the only person who did not speak in the entire first episode

S3: Ethan - The Star of David analysis, and also MamaKim's decision to dump some of the precious water and the comment "whoever dumped the water will probably win" (Thanks KB for the link that helped me correct this statement)

S4: Vecepia - talking with Sean in, I believe, the second episode and the comment "no black person is going to win this thing"

S5: Brian - "It's a business trip for me" (we also have Clay's comment on how the little guy always get picked last but he always bounces back - a key comment because the producers allegedly didn't know who the winner was with the vote revealed live 3 months later)

S6: Jenna - "I just want to beat the guys and shut them up"

Some of the comments are taken in a negative way, while others are in a positive or neutral way, so I think there's no definitive pattern other than that MB likes to mess with people.

12-15-03, 07:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: About the "key quotes" thing"
Okay positive and negative weren't the words I was looking for...more like stating something that WILL happen (what I was considering "positive") and stating something that WON'T happen (negative) with respect to winning/losing. So Vee saying "a black person won't win this thing" was something that "WON'T" that turned out to be the ironic thing that DID happen (same goes for Jon's stuff). I just know there are others but I can't recall them.

Just wanted to clarify since re-reading my post made me realize that it didn't make any sense, LOL - gimme a break, it's 1:30 a.m.

Goooey_Alley 425 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Daytime Soap Guest Star"

12-15-03, 08:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Goooey_Alley Click to send private message to Goooey_Alley Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "Confessionals ain't subliminal..."
I agree with LePew. There's no pattern to follow in confessionals to determine who will win. Most of them say this and that; and it's up to the editing which statements should be included for the show. They may use future clips or past clips for the current episode.

I think the most formidable spoiler ever is to know someone who's part of Survivor crew or production. Or sneak on the filming spot. Or like Snews said... follow the money.

shakes the clown 3366 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

12-15-03, 08:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shakes%20the%20clown Click to send private message to shakes%20the%20clown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "toot my own horn"
(we
>also have Clay's comment on
>how the little guy always
>get picked last but he
>always bounces back - a
>key comment because the producers
>allegedly didn't know who the
>winner was with the vote
>revealed live 3 months later)

...I'll take full credit for being the poster on the boards who called this the key quote of ep #1 right after the viewing of the ep. If I remember correctly, he referred to himself (after being picked last) as a diamond in the rough.

Yes, I am great.

forehead 932 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-03, 10:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail forehead Click to send private message to forehead Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: toot my own horn"
>...I'll take full credit for being the poster on the boards who called this the key quote of ep #1 right after the viewing of the ep. If I remember correctly, he referred to himself (after being picked last) as a diamond in the rough.

Lol, I actually remember this!

>Yes, I am great.

I'm not gonna go there, but I'll say this: a shakes' post is guaranteed to have insight, entertainment, or both.

bobstew617 723 desperate attention whore postings

12-16-03, 01:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail bobstew617 Click to send private message to bobstew617 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
36. "Shakes' posts"
I'm not gonna go there, but I'll say this: a shakes' post is guaranteed to have insight, entertainment, or both.

I definitely agree --although I usually put on my flame-retardant jumper before I read his posts )

Draco Malfoy 10525 desperate attention whore postings

12-16-03, 07:31 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Draco%20Malfoy Click to send private message to Draco%20Malfoy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: toot my own horn"
Note: It took self-aggrandizement to bring Shakes back to Spoilers.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Start Weight:339 Last Weigh-in:289 Loss To Date:-50

12-15-03, 07:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail I_AM_HE Click to send private message to I_AM_HE Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: About the "key quotes" thing"
hmmm, good points PM, but I don't think it quite always holds true. for instance, I'm pretty sure we have had something similar to rupert's "a drake will win" (maybe with rotu?) and we've had ill-fated attempts to copy rich, such as silas' lame write me the check attempt...i think generally you are probably right though

12-15-03, 07:35 PM (EST)
15. "RE: About the "key quotes" thing"
I think we all knew that Silas had about the same chance at winning survivor as a mouse in a room full of starved cats making it out alive

I wish I'd paid better attention to the key qutoes...though I'm sure we should go back through archives and dig them up...hmmmm it gives me a nice little project to do while we're waiting for All Stars

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

12-15-03, 08:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: About the "key quotes" thing"
Great idea PM, you might start here...

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/cgi-bin/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=3542&forum=DCForumID2&archive=yes

Krautboy

tightiewhities 1 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

12-15-03, 09:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail tightiewhities Click to send private message to tightiewhities Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: 20/20 Hindsight"
hey. board virgin here, so fingers crossed for gentle treatment.

something that i've always taken note of since tina won S2 is the diverse demographics of all of the winners. if you look at all seven of them, none of them fit into all of the same catergories.

richard: white middle-aged gay male

tina: white middle-aged straight female

ethan: white (but jewish, a cultural difference that was highlighted many times in editing) young staight male

vecepia: black young straight female

brian: white young-ish straight male

jenna: white young staight female

and sandra: hispanic young-ish straight female

i've always noted this, and that's a huge part of why i couldn't believe that darrah would win. i ruled her out immediately, if for no other reason than that she fits the exact same profile as jenna.

just something i've noticed.

please be kind. (or kind-ish at least)

Rothschild 496 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-03, 09:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Rothschild Click to send private message to Rothschild Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: 20/20 Hindsight"
Very interesting --- is an Asian next ?????

FSUGUY 447 desperate attention whore postings

12-16-03, 12:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail FSUGUY Click to send private message to FSUGUY Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
35. "RE: 20/20 Hindsight"
>Very interesting --- is an
>Asian next ?????

Shi-Ann?

Goooey_Alley 425 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-03, 00:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Goooey_Alley Click to send private message to Goooey_Alley Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
47. "Shii Ann???"
Someone on the other spoiler boards claims that Shii Ann reached F3, per informer description of one of F3--an Asian. I doubt it the fact that everyone on that board screw each other with wacko info's and claims that they had reliable sources...

shakes the clown 3366 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-03, 11:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shakes%20the%20clown Click to send private message to shakes%20the%20clown Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "haven't seen one of these in a while"
>i've always noted this, and that's
>a huge part of why
>i couldn't believe that darrah
>would win. i ruled her
>out immediately, if for no
>other reason than that she
>fits the exact same profile
>as jenna.
>
>just something i've noticed.
>
>please be kind. (or kind-ish at
>least)

....does this mean a color coded pie chart is soon to follow? And believe me, that's as kind as I can possibly be.

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings

12-16-03, 08:32 AM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "Well..."

---
UDG

forehead 932 desperate attention whore postings

12-16-03, 08:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail forehead Click to send private message to forehead Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Well..."
LAST EDITED ON 12-16-03 AT 08:46 AM (EST)

Can you do an authentic mararotu Easter egg chart too?

ETA: sorry, just couldn't resist

12-16-03, 09:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail dabo Click to send private message to dabo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Well..."
LOL. The human brain looks for patterns, it is part of being human. When it comes to Survivor we should take it as a given that patterns are made to be broken.

KObrien_fan 8360 desperate attention whore postings

12-16-03, 12:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail KObrien_fan Click to send private message to KObrien_fan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: Well..."
I guess this means that Shi Ann is a lock to win ASS?

GuessItRains 700 desperate attention whore postings

12-18-03, 03:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GuessItRains Click to send private message to GuessItRains Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
39. "RE: Well..."
Wait, I'm confused. These numbers only add up to 98%. Who wins the other 2% of the time??

12-18-03, 03:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
40. "RE: Well..."
Blame it on rounding!

---
UDG

zzz 703 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-03, 09:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail zzz Click to send private message to zzz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "Choosing the Right Spoiler"
As is often the case, it is not a problem of "not enough spoilers" but rather a problem of "too many spoilers." The trick is always to choose which spoilers to believe.

In this case, Survivor Phoenix spoiler--bad spoiler-- and betting spoiler--good spoiler. If you believed the betting spoiler (that Sandra won) as well as the "younger woman/older woman/bearded man" final three spoiler, and ignored all other spoilers (which tended to point toward Darrah), you would have gotten the final four order, although you would have had to guess a little between Lil or Jon getting to finals. To get that last part, I think there was a spoiler that a woman comes back after being voted out and makes it to the final two (at that time people were deciding between Trish or Lil as that woman).

So the problem again is that there were conflicting spoilers, and we had to know which were the right ones and which were wrong. I have never been able to do that, and I probably never will. Oh well, trying to figure it out is the fun part.

GrendelsMom 3272 desperate attention whore postings

12-15-03, 09:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail GrendelsMom Click to send private message to GrendelsMom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: 20/20 Hindsight"
I'm new to the spoiler game (haven't even been lurking long--just this season, although I am combing through the archives--fascinating reading!!) Some questions that might help me understand the process, and illuminate the herrings:

1) What exactly made people jump on the Darrah bandwagon to begin with? When did the "younger woman" in the beardedman/olderwoman/youngerwoman scenario (which turned out to be correct) turn into Darrah?

2) I saw in the archives from early this season a post (can't find it now, but will keep looking) saying that the betting spoiler on Sandra had largely been discredited. Does anyone remember how or why?

3) Why do other spoiler sites carry such authority--I saw this season how reliable Snewser is, but I also saw him yank everyone's chain with the prediction of Lil's second boot. Lemmings (TDT) then changed their predictions solely on this report--although fewer on this board, to everyone's credit. Then again, fewer also followed with his correct prediction of T, when everyone had Christa or Burton pegged. How much and how regularly can Snewser be trusted? And why believe Survivor Phoenix when they say "Darrah and Lill confirmed as final two" without any further explanation?

(forgive me if this sounds rude; I just want to know--mostly because I fell for all of the above as well!)

4) I agree with Goooey_Alley that the most formidable spoiling info comes from the inside-- ChillOne for S6, or King Oscar this season. But for every King Oscar, there are ten people who swear to know someone who knows someone, and we end up anticipating something that never happens--a third returning outcast, a brutal tribal council or a broken foot. How do some of the more experienced spoilers separate the real info from the DAWs who just want to spoil the spoiling?

Aside from inside info, I also think the best spoiling comes from those who have a handle on the strategic and psychological ramifications of the game: Shakes during S2 (which I've just finished as I work through the archives) or Misto on the big lie this season.

Comments? Answers?

____
GM

12-16-03, 09:03 AM (EST)
30. "RE: 20/20 Hindsight"
LAST EDITED ON 12-16-03 AT 09:04 AM (EST)

>1) What exactly made people jump
>on the Darrah bandwagon to
>begin with? When did
>the "younger woman" in the
>beardedman/olderwoman/youngerwoman scenario (which turned out
>to be correct) turn into
>Darrah?

Darrah most easily fit the description of the younger woman with long dark hair, it was never a certainty. If you check my S/J/L/D vote you will see that I listed D/J/L/S as my alternate choice. I was expecting an anti-Lill jury at that point since everyone on the jury or left in the game had been stabbed in the back by her.

>2) I saw in the archives
>from early this season a
>post (can't find it now,
>but will keep looking) saying
>that the betting spoiler on
>Sandra had largely been discredited.
> Does anyone remember how
>or why?

I think there may be something about this is the news archives as well.

>3) Why do other spoiler sites
>carry such authority--I saw this
>season how reliable Snewser is,
>but I also saw him
>yank everyone's chain with the
>prediction of Lil's second boot.
>Lemmings (TDT) then changed their
>predictions solely on this report--although
>fewer on this board, to
>everyone's credit. Then again,
>fewer also followed with his
>correct prediction of T, when
>everyone had Christa or Burton
>pegged. How much and
>how regularly can Snewser be
>trusted? And why believe
>Survivor Phoenix when they say
>"Darrah and Lill confirmed as
>final two" without any further
>explanation?

Snewser has an impressive track record of being right way more often than he is wrong. He has also used his site the past several seasons to play headgames on spoilers, primarily via his scorecard. The more hits his site gets the better his business, you figure it out. The true master of weirding out all the spoilers, though, was Paratrooper. Don't know what happened to him, but he was a genuis. SurvivorPhoenix, TrueDorkTimes, Acme, and other sites also have relatively good track records.

>4) I agree with Goooey_Alley that
>the most formidable spoiling info
>comes from the inside-- ChillOne
>for S6, or King Oscar
>this season. But for
>every King Oscar, there are
>ten people who swear to
>know someone who knows someone,
>and we end up anticipating
>something that never happens--a third
>returning outcast, a brutal tribal
>council or a broken foot.
> How do some of
>the more experienced spoilers separate
>the real info from the
>DAWs who just want to
>spoil the spoiling?

It's all a game, it's all for fun, at least that's my approach. One of the first things to do is confirm that which can be confirmed. Okay, a lot actually cannot actually be confirmed, but there is always a starting point. Weight loss spoilers, how these people look upon returning home: Is there photographic confirmation, or at least are there several independent sources pointing out the same spoiler? Is the source someone known and reliable? If not, how does the source respond the challenges and so on, are they reasonable or unreasonable? Works for a broken foot as well, or a broken leg or whatever. That's where you start, confirm whatever you can, then proceed from there.

"If all machines were to be annihilated at one moment, so that not a knife nor lever nor rag of clothing nor anything whatsoever were left to man but his bare body alone that he was born with, and if all knowledge of mechanical laws were taken from him so that he could make no more machines, and all machine-made food destroyed so that the race of man should be left as it were naked upon a desert island, we should become extinct in six weeks." (Samuel Butler, "Erewhon")

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

12-18-03, 06:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
41. "RE: 20/20 Hindsight"
2) I saw in the archives from early this season a post (can't find it now, but will keep looking) saying that the betting spoiler on Sandra had largely been discredited. Does anyone remember how or why?

I think maybe people didn't feel as confident about this info because it was reported that there was also heavy betting on Osten at the same site. Bets on Osten (presumably to win) didn't reconcile with the all-female final 2 info gleaned by Wezzie and the Accidental Tourist (independently of each other), the way that the bets on Matt and Jenna meshed with the ChillOne spoiler. And once Osten quit, the bets on Sandra seemed even more dubious.

It even occurred to me at one point that maybe CBS instructed people to place bets on Sandra, to throw the public off the track. But I guess there really was a bonafide leak.

12-18-03, 07:16 PM (EST)
42. "RE: 20/20 Hindsight"
i think there were two betting spoilers, one that had Sandra and Osten, and the other S/L or maybe just S?

and yeah, i agree, people may have been less likely to believe them BECAUSE of the betting spoiler last year. either there's egg on MB and co's face, or a big grin for another betting spoiler

12-18-03, 07:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
43. "RE: 20/20 Hindsight"
And a big grin on your face, HE, since you were in the anti-Darrah camp all along. Congratz! Wish I'd convinced myself to go in that direction.

12-16-03, 00:53 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ivoryElephant Click to send private message to ivoryElephant Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "increased airtime told me the boot"
|I noticed this throughout the season and only mentioned it once but couldnt' find the thread. I did however discuss it with friends.

Two episodes before Trishes boot she had increased airtime. I noticed more and more of her and then boom she was gone. I kind of saw it coming but didn't think about it.

Then Ryan O. had increased airtime for two episodes, I told my friends that he may go ... 2 eps later he is gone.

I then noticed Tijuana had increased airtime for two episodes (this is the one i posted somewhere in sucks and cant find ) but everyone was saying Burton or Christa and |I was thinking Tijuana and wondering if people would think i was crazy.

two episodes later Tijuana gets booted.

The final person was Darrah, two episodes before the finale she had increased airtime, |I didn't know whether it was because she was the winner or what. It was difficult to tell since it was so close to the finale.

Each season mark burnet fools with editing that tells us whos booted or wins the ic

During S4 every episode from the merge on someone would say "i am gonna win this thing" or something like that. Someone else would also say they need immunity to stay in the game.

each ep. the person who said they would win was booted and the one who needed immunity got it

look for trends in editing it is the key

Blow by Blow 895 desperate attention whore postings

12-16-03, 12:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Blow%20by%20Blow Click to send private message to Blow%20by%20Blow Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: increased airtime told me the boot"
Screen time is a tricky measure by which to spoil, but I do think there's some value to it, taken as a whole (not solely confessionals). The thing about editing is that they're trying to tell a good, complete story, not just give someone screen time because they're due or because they're going home soon.

About Darrah's increased screen time, that started happening after Rupert was gone (screen hog). She won immunities, so that gave her screen time, and they were down to seven people, so she was guaranteed to get more time. I would say that once we're down to eight people, screen time means less and less. They're all going to get their share.

-P

12-18-03, 00:47 AM (EST)
37. "the opposite happens of what someone says"
We all know that when someone says they are gonna take it all the way they get the boot ie:silas, lex, john carrol etc...

in this series jon said there was no way sandra was getting to the final four and he would bet a million that she wouldn't be the sole survivor

Rupert said " a drake is gonna win this" and was very firm about it.

then after drake got there asses kicked he said "i am not so sure a drake is gonna win now" this seemed to nullify his other comment and a drake won

badger 1273 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

12-18-03, 09:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail badger Click to send private message to badger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
38. "more key quotes, more iffy spoilers"
a couple of observations:

another key quote, both from and about Sandra, was the insistence that she would vote for anyone as long as it wasn't her.

an iffy spoiler i wouldn't get out of my mind was the one about shawn and jon being the last to fly out of contadora. i have often wondered if burton and shawn were confused by spoilers. shawn was listed in the yahoo spoiler, for example, as a star whereas burton wasn't (this was, i believe, the only person wrong in this spoiler). i wonder if jon and burton were seen together on their reward trip or something?

i guess the moral of this story is that some spoilers are helpful (man with beard as F3), some are just plain wrong (survivor phoenix), just as some quotes predict future outcomes ("a drake will win"), whereas some announce events that will NEVER happen (jon bragging to thunder dan that he's F2). i guess that's one of the reasons why i can read these boards and still be surprised with what happens on the show.

or, of course, the moral of the story might just be, as snewser noted, follow the money.

12-18-03, 08:16 PM (EST)
44. "Ryno rooting for Darrah to win"
LAST EDITED ON 12-18-03 AT 08:19 PM (EST)

20/20 hindsight:

This should have set off much bigger alarm bells (I even posted about it, only to ultimately ignore it). No one ever talks about the winner to the degree that Ryan rooted for Darrah in his post-boot interviews and chats.

I tried to rationalize it by saying we kinda knew that he had a crush on Darrah so it would seem suspicious for him to root for anyone else. But now I believe that MB STILL does not want anyone to appear to be rooting for the winner, or to talk about the winner at any great length in their media tour.

12-19-03, 03:26 AM (EST)
45. "RE: Ryno rooting for Darrah to win"
I totally agree, and I did the same thing!

---
UDG

12-19-03, 06:23 AM (EST)
46. "RE: Ryno rooting for Darrah to win"

>But now I believe that MB
>STILL does not want anyone
>to appear to be rooting
>for the winner, or to
>talk about the winner at
>any great length in their
>media tour.

Yes, but in her post-boot interview, Tanya openly rooted for Brian to win in Thailand -- although there's a world of difference between being a second boot early in the game and being second onto the jury.

I think the main thing is to not lock yourself into any patterns in the game because MB will shake things up. The pattern said a man would win, instead we had a woman winning for the second straight time.

12-20-03, 00:37 AM (EST)
48. "ryno rooting for darrah"
I noticed this too. Many times a player will say they are rooting for someone that doesn't win

patricia was rooting for hunter-he was booted next

ryno rooted for darrah- she lost.

in tanyas case she left the game early and left thailand early also. She had no idea what happened in the game after she left.

The others however (patricia, ryno) knew exactly what happened

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •