The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"EP1: Things to look for..."
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

09-13-03, 10:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"EP1: Things to look for..."
LAST EDITED ON 09-14-03 AT 02:14 AM (EST)

While we're adrift in the spoiling doldrums, we might consider what we've learned from past first episodes and what clues we might look for in EP1.

Digging around in the archives from last season, I found these two threads which we might revisit in preparation for S7...

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID2/3534.shtml
Ivory Elephant’s Theory

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/cgi-bin/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=3542&forum=DCForumID2&archive=yes
Tribephyl’s “Key Confessional”

Last season the key confessional in EP1, while only recognized in hindsight, came from Jenna when she said, "I just want to beat the guys to shut them up."

In S5, it was of course Brian commenting about his "business trip".

This season we should look for Darrah, Trish or Lillian to have the "key confessional"

Episode 1 is also when MB likes to foreshadow and set up the irony that becomes apparent later in the show.

What else should we look for in EP1?

Krautboy

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: EP1: Things to look for... PepeLePew13 09-14-03 1
 RE: EP1: Things to look for... Griffe 09-14-03 2
   RE: EP1: Things to look for... VerucaSalt 09-14-03 3
       A Timeless Gem! Krautboy 09-14-03 7
 RE: EP1: Things to look for... Oscirus 09-14-03 4
   RE: EP1: Things to look for... Griffe 09-14-03 5
       RE: EP1: Things to look for... Oscirus 09-14-03 6
 Other thoughts anotherkim 09-14-03 8
   RE: Other thoughts munson 09-14-03 9
 RE: EP1: Things to look for... Brownroach 09-15-03 10
   RE: EP1: Things to look for... AZ_Leo 09-15-03 11
       Thread on Sucks... Brownroach 09-15-03 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-14-03, 00:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: EP1: Things to look for..."
We should also remember that the runner-up also often say something of significance in the first episode because MB supposedly doesn't know who won with the final votes being in a lockbox.

A good example is Clay's "the little guy being the underdog" statement (I'm sure I didn't paraphrase that completely).

I don't believe Matthew said anything of significance in the first episode but he did get edited in a way with accompanying soundbites ("I don't know what I'm doing" and Jiffy's comment about him being clueless in the game of Survivor) in case he did win.

Like you said, we probably will never catch what the key statement is until the end -- hindsight is 20/20 but isn't worth a hill of beans if we don't know what we're supposed to be watching for at first.

Click here to rank all 96 Survivors!

Heidi: My biggest assets to the tribe are my athletic skills and my intelligence. I've lost one of them.
Jiffy: Which one?

Griffe 40 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

09-14-03, 02:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Griffe Click to send private message to Griffe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: EP1: Things to look for..."
The tribes' storytellers are usually established right from the first episode. Normally most storytellers last for a while so that might be something to look for in E1.

VerucaSalt 1580 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

09-14-03, 05:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VerucaSalt Click to send private message to VerucaSalt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: EP1: Things to look for..."
Some things I note from S1 - S6 for use that I had posted prior to S6.

THE PROMOS - MB will always inflate surprises and twists. Do not be fooled by the propoganda. When he says a HUGE event will change everything don't get suckered. However, read the teasers carefully. He words them carefully. I see many mistakes when people determine: "A potential alliance may fracture due to ...." People jump on the OMG, Harry and Barry will get in a fight. KEY WORD - MAY. In other words, ain't gonna happen.

THE TITLES - The titles of the show in some form do have something to do with the show HOWEVER, for those who base EVERYTHING on what the title says, be warned. It could easily be just a statement made by a Survivor, a type of challenge but of course can pertain to an event happening in the tribe. Be wary of the title

BOOTED SURVIVORS - Booted Surivor chats, inteviews, etc.- again be careful. We have found nuggets but there is a tendency to nitpick everything little thing said and it may be nothing. With the new season and this weird LL scenario, I don't know how he is going to have them do press this time though

FIRST BOOT FORMULA - The booted first formula is a general rule of thumb that should ALWAYS be considered as the first boots usually are the old, weak, and the overbearing leader type. I haven't really seen the first boot completely knock me over with surprise; there is (again) usually the standard reason.

WEIGHT LOSS - Weight Loss spoilers I tend to rely a lot on these because weight loss is EVIDENCE, not analysis but only to a point. I would never in a million years though hold weight loss evidence as the bible of who makes the final four, however, I believe it is safe to use in terms of someone losing 20 lbs probably lasts a little bit. Again, with the weird LL and the keeping the weight down, we are in for a harder time

EDITING - can be the most insightful and frustrating clues provided. The pros of editing is we are able to determine how MB wants us to perceive someone and it is safe to assume that he has developed certain "types". The overbearing alienating person, the sneaky one, the UTR one who everyone can't fathom why they are still there (aka Jan, Momma Kim), the sweetheart, the bitchy type, the athletic all American, etc. Of note from past shows: If someone is invisible, they probably aren't the first boot. I have found that these way UTR types stay for awhile due to the fact that either MB is saving up for some serious stuff to show us later OR they are simply UTR and there is no reason/rationale for anyone to boot them as they are overlooked by someone more visible who could be threatening.

IMAGERY - Frankly, I don't put much stock in the imagery as to provide CLUES TO THE BOOTEE. I feel MB does this to help visually develop a contestant however. While it makes for great speculation, IMO, showing a bunch of ants crawling up a tree and carrying a piece of toast is not indicative that the cook gets eaten alive by his/her tribe mates. However, I do believe there is a symbolism there of what the tribe or character is about. Grant it for those who read the analysis of Tapewatcher and Follow the Stars as well as the Dog that Didn't Bark re: SII and SIII, great reading but IMO was luck. These analysis were done about halfway through and I would hazard a guess that Ethan was a lot of people's pick to be winner and Tina, while not the clear choice (I believe a lot thought Colby would win) anyone could have a huge storyline based on imagery and not win aka Kathy

THE WINNER - Let's face it, MB is going to change each season and way too many people got snowed some seasons (Vee and even Jenna) because of the editing. MB needs us to stay tuned and the Vee debacle changed his editing with Brian so MB DOES change things based on what the public thought. However, we have no way of knowing that MB will decide to show us, say a really likeable and hard working winner THIS season because Jenna was frowned upon by a lot of viewers. I have learned a valuable lesson. I will NEVER state again, well this can't happen because his past editing showed........ That is a sure fire way of screwing yourself for the entire season because that is in your head and nothing will convince you otherwise. Just as they visit new places, the editing will take a turn, it may be slight but don't get suckered into basing things on past editing, ESPECIALLY the winner.

EXISTING SPOILERS - Never as much as starting last season, have we been awashed in spoilers and good ones. The PROBLEM with this is almost like the editing problem. It gets in our head so we assume it must be so, in turn, we decide to develop the story/boots AROUND the spoilers to make it so. Just like we figure MB would NEVER do this because...... that is presumptous on our parts. CO gave us lots of information but tunnel vision then comes into play and narrows down the possibility that the information may not pertain to that particular week. The show should be looked at first and see if the spoiler can be fit it, not the other way around.

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

09-14-03, 06:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "A Timeless Gem!"
Thanks for finding your post. It was excellent then and your observations still hold true now...

Krautboy

Oscirus 1596 desperate attention whore postings

09-14-03, 05:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Oscirus Click to send private message to Oscirus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: EP1: Things to look for..."
Nothing of any real importance and I'd expect to get bashed mercilessly for thisbut I'll say it anyway. There has never been a winner who drew a vote in the first episode.(The earliest one was Rich who drew a vote in the mwerger episode aka episode 10).

wonder if the man lady curse will continue this time

Griffe 40 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

09-14-03, 05:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Griffe Click to send private message to Griffe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: EP1: Things to look for..."
>The earliest one was Rich
>who drew a vote in
>the mwerger episode aka episode
>10).

Jenna had a vote in E2 for S6.

Oscirus 1596 desperate attention whore postings

09-14-03, 05:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Oscirus Click to send private message to Oscirus Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: EP1: Things to look for..."
DOA! Thats what i get for missing the first 4 episodes of survivor amazon. excuse me while I pick my face up off the floor.

wonder if the man lady curse will continue this time

anotherkim 14420 desperate attention whore postings

09-14-03, 10:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail anotherkim Click to send private message to anotherkim Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Other thoughts"
None of the winners were "obvious" from Ep. 1 other than perhaps Brian (I cannot comment on S1 because I only saw the end of it). Every other winner was either practically non-existant in the first show or came across as unlikeable, dumb or boring. Jenna's washing of the undies comes to mind...how many of us assumed she would be the first one gone. Vee...was she even IN the first few episodes? Ethan was totally overshadowed by all the attention on the Mall Rats. Tina was set decoration.

The smart players let the Alphas duke it out. Only Brian was ever shown to be a real player, and even he was shuffled to the back while the Ted/Ghandia stuff drew attention away from him.

Miscellaneous Ramblings
--never believe the obvious. ever.

munson 1314 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

09-14-03, 10:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail munson Click to send private message to munson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Other thoughts"
Kim, I'm not sure that Brian was all that out front in E1. When I think back on the first episode of Thailand, I remember the John v Clay drama with Helen sort of caught in the middle.

As for S1, the only obvious thing about Rich was that he wouldn't survive his first TC! Except, of course, he did.

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-03, 11:41 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: EP1: Things to look for..."
Also, for S6 we had a barrage of pre- and early-game quotes from JP and MB about the contestants. Notably they were generally positive about Jenna. Any negativity was tempered:

"She's really smart, especially when it comes to men."

----------------------------------------------------

There are some likable people," he said. "Jenna is likable from the very beginning. ... She is a lippy girl with a pretty decent vocabulary. She can put a thought together in a biting way."

Comparing Jenna to Survivors past proved challenging for the show's host. "She's not like Elizabeth, she's not America's sweetheart," Probst said. "She's got a point of view, but she's not Jerri, she's not the villain."

Mr. Probst listed 22-year-old swimsuit model Jenna Morasca as the biggest sleeper in the group – the dark horse who could win by lying low.

--------------------------------------------

JP hasn't said much about anyone in S7 so far, but it might be worth noting future comments about Darrah, Trish and Lillian. He did offer this positive take on Trish:

He called her a "delight in a lot of ways" and said she's a "player...she approached the game wanting nothing less than winning."

AZ_Leo 3526 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

09-15-03, 12:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AZ_Leo Click to send private message to AZ_Leo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: EP1: Things to look for..."
Jeff also had positive things to say about Rupert on E!News Live. Unfortunately I taped over it this weekend and can't find any reference to it on other sites. Perhaps someone else has a copy and can give the exact quote. It was something to the effect of him being this big, instantly lovable guy. The main part of the quote had to do with how Rupert wound up in a skirt for the series (his jeans chafed). For some reason I left with the impression that he wasn't an early boot, but not sure exactly why.

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-03, 01:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "Thread on Sucks..."
...here:

http://pub124.ezboard.com/fsurvivorsucksfrm2.showMessageRange?topicID=16322.topic&start=1&stop=20

It also says that after JP told the skirt story the host laughed and said "vote him (Rupert) out!", and JP mumbled "sooner or later."

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •