The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"What did you think of the Idol Christmas Special?"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences American Idol General Discussion Forum (Protected)
Original message

strid333 2928 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

11-26-03, 00:15 AM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
"What did you think of the Idol Christmas Special?"
Well other than it is too early for the Christmas Special (IMHO Christmas shouldn't be considered until the first Sunday of Advent or Dec 1 - so that means Nov 30 this year), what did everybody think of special?

I was a little annoyed with the choice of music. Not being a fan of the secular Christmas music, I was annoyed that it took 50 min before they sang a religious Christmas song. (Don't start debating religion here because they did call it a Christmas special and they could've sung songs from the other religions and I wouldn't have complained.)

Now onto the actual performances.

First the good performances. K-Lo did a good job through the show. Clay did well too, and I thought he was a good MC. Kelly did well although I did not like her performance of Oh Holy Night and conclusion to Silent Night. You know it is bad when my dad was saying he liked Eric Cartman's version (complete with cattle prod) of the song much, much better. Ruben did well enough, I guess. Nothing really wowed me with him. Ryan Malcolm did well, considering he has a poor song to work with. (He was complaining on eTalk Daily that it was pretty much the only song left and he tried to do the best he could.)

And the bad. The AJ kids weren't very good, IMHO. When I was that age, I could sing in tune much better than they did (and in harmony - you have 5 people where harmonization potential is good but let it go to waste - another reason why I hate boy bands). The other two ladies (names are escaping me) really got on my nerves. Silent Night was horrible. Why couldn't that girl sing more than one word without taking a breath in between? Silent breath Night breath Holy breath Night breath All breath Is . . . well you get the idea. Improvise but don't lose meaning of the words by breaking the phrases so horribly (not that those really are the words - Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht). And improvise but don't lose the tune either, please.

Rupert is the perfect Survivor.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: What did you think of the Idol ... 712 11-26-03 1
   RE: What did you think of the Idol ... strid333 11-26-03 2
       RE: What did you think of the Idol ... 712 11-26-03 3
           RE: What did you think of the Idol ... strid333 11-26-03 4
               RE: What did you think of the Idol ... 712 11-26-03 5
 RE: What did you think of the Idol ... Breezy 11-26-03 6
 RE: What did you think of the Idol ... blacknwhitedog 11-26-03 7
   RE: What did you think of the Idol ... Breezy 11-26-03 8
       RE: What did you think of the Idol ... strid333 11-26-03 9
 RE: What did you think of the Idol ... geg6 11-26-03 10
   RE: What did you think of the Idol ... ginger 11-26-03 11
       RE: What did you think of the Idol ... Breezy 11-26-03 12
           RE: What did you think of the Idol ... udg 11-26-03 14
               AFN! :) PhoenixMons 11-27-03 17
                   RE: AFN! :) strid333 11-27-03 18
                   RE: AFN! :) udg 11-28-03 19
                       RE: AFN! :) Scuttlebutt 11-29-03 21
                   Are you watching, PM? udg 11-30-03 23
 Agree AyaK 11-26-03 13
   RE: Agree geg6 11-26-03 16
 RE: What did you think of the Idol ... munson 11-26-03 15
   RE: What did you think of the Idol ... Scuttlebutt 11-29-03 20
   RE: What did you think of the Idol ... ejm92 11-30-03 22
 RE: What did you think of the Idol ... Ra_8secs 11-30-03 24
 RE: What did you think of the Idol ... bubble_brain_23 01-11-04 25
   RE: What did you think of the Idol ... strid333 01-11-04 26
       RE: What did you think of the Idol ... aquariaqueen 01-17-04 27

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

712 356 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

11-26-03, 00:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail 712 Click to send private message to 712 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: What did you think of the Idol Christmas Special?"
Hmm... why did I not see Ryan Malcolm? I caught the last half of the show, didn't see Ryan, but I did tape it. I watched the first few performances, got bored, hit the fast forward button, found no Ryan. Started panicking, rewound, fast forwarded, rewound again. Didn't see Ryan.
When did he perform, exactly?

11-26-03, 00:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail strid333 Click to send private message to strid333 Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: What did you think of the Idol Christmas Special?"
LAST EDITED ON 11-26-03 AT 00:39 AM (EST)

Maybe they edited the show specially for Canadians (I watched it on CTV). He sang Let it Snow - to which I said noooooooooooo I'm tired of this winter weather lol.

Edit to say it was approx halfway through the show, I think.

11-26-03, 00:43 AM (EST)
Click to EMail 712 Click to send private message to 712 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: What did you think of the Idol Christmas Special?"
I just went to Ryan's official site message board, and yeah, apparently they only showed his performance on CTV. I stupidly taped it on Fox.

Too bad for Ryan. Here I am thinking how great it is that he's going to get some exposure in the states, and they leave him on the editing room floor....

11-26-03, 00:47 AM (EST)
4. "RE: What did you think of the Idol Christmas Special?"
Maybe they are trying to prevent bias for World Idol?

Ha - the American Idols have been over exposed, even on our radio stations. They are trying to keep American bias.

11-26-03, 01:06 AM (EST)
5. "RE: What did you think of the Idol Christmas Special?"
Yeah, that does make sense.
Even though everyone pretty much knows about Kelly already.
I think the only thing I took away from this special is that I now know that I will not be voting for Kelly Clarkson on World Idol.
She just doesn't seem to care...

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

11-26-03, 08:51 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: What did you think of the Idol Christmas Special?"
Agreed it was on way too early, should have atleast waited until after Thanksgiving.

I thought Clay did well at as the MC. K-Lo was good as usual. Christina needs to go eat something and get more singing lessons. Tamayra didn't look like she felt well or something, or maybe she just can't sing as well as everyone thought.
I liked Kelly's performances. Ofcourse I liked Clay's performances.

Ruben. Was not impressed at all. I felt sorry for Tamayra during their duet. I'm positive I say her wipe her hand on her clothes after she got it out of Ruben's sweaty paw. How is this person going to survive a concert? He's sweating heavily after the first note.

blacknwhitedog 6532 desperate attention whore postings

11-26-03, 09:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail blacknwhitedog Click to send private message to blacknwhitedog Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: What did you think of the Idol Christmas Special?"
I thought Clay did a great job as MC. I thought it was funny at the end when he said if you liked my name is Clay Aiken, and if you didn't my name is Ryan Seacrest

Who in the heck decided to put Ruben in a fur lined parka for cryin' out loud? All that sweat!

Another quality Ice Cat creation 2003

11-26-03, 10:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: What did you think of the Idol Christmas Special?"
He was sweating in everything they put him in.

11-26-03, 12:38 PM (EST)
9. "RE: What did you think of the Idol Christmas Special?"
Yeah, that was pretty gross to watch.

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

11-26-03, 12:52 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: What did you think of the Idol Christmas Special?"
Agreed that it aired waaaaaay too early, but I think Fox was trying to make sure everyone heard the Christmas CD songs before the season really kicked in.

As far as how I enjoyed it....well, I enjoyed some of it. I could listen to Clay and Kimberly Locke all day. Ruben was OK, but that is all he has ever been in my estimation.

Someone should really make these people quit humiliating those small children. Painful, painful, painful.

I think that at least Christina Christian can sing, although not on Kim or Clay's or even Ruben's level. At least she doesn't make my ears bleed.

As for the other one (whose name I can never remember), well the less said the better.

And lastly, the one who always makes my ears bleed, that shrieker Kelly Clarkson. I am begging you, Fox, do not subject me to her another minute. She's awful, awful, awful and I lose buckets of blood every time I'm forced to listen to her. I thought she was horrible on AI1, even worse on the RMAs, and she should just be shot for this.

ginger 22512 desperate attention whore postings

11-26-03, 03:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ginger Click to send private message to ginger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: What did you think of the Idol Christmas Special?"
I like Kelly. Not to buy an album or anything, but...plus I give the girl snaps for being saftig in a Kate Moss world.

Ruben gave no indication as to why he won AI-II and not Clay. Clay, on the other hand, was so comfortable in the MC role that I envision him hosting the Miss America Pagent in the future.

Nice to see/hear KimLo. They could never package her as a star, but her deep smokey voice is lovely for certain songs, Chestnuts Roasting being one of them.

The mitzvah that is my signpic courtesy the genius that is our own JSlice. Such a nice girl! Now, have some more borscht.

11-26-03, 03:27 PM (EST)
12. "RE: What did you think of the Idol Christmas Special?"
Ruben gave no indication as to why he won AI-II and not Clay. Clay, on the other hand, was so comfortable in the MC role that I envision him hosting the Miss America Pagent in the future.

I had the same thought Ginger. Clay was so relaxed and confident. Ruben just looked akward and sweaty.

udg 3381 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Car Show Celebrity"

11-26-03, 04:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: What did you think of the Idol Christmas Special?"
>Clay was so relaxed and
>confident.

I didn't see the Christmas thing, because I'm overseas. AFN might play it next month, maybe. (We got all of AI1 right before AI2 started airing, then AI2 played here at the same time it played in the States). Anyway, back to Clay! He just seems to get better and better. I saw him on Letterman this week, and relaxed and confident is exactly right!

---
UDG
Misto for S.T.O.T.Y.

PhoenixMons 4696 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

11-27-03, 05:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PhoenixMons Click to send private message to PhoenixMons Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "AFN! :)"
ANOTHER AFNer! Whoo-hoo! I just happened to pop in here (something told me to) and now I know why! We actually are getting it (I saw a commercial for it a week ago, maybe). It's airing on Spectrum at 4 a.m./noon/8 p.m. CET (Central European Time) on Nov 30 (Sunday) - according to myafn anyway, which is known to be quite wrong, LOL.

Where are you stationed? My hubby is AD Army and we're in SHAPE, Belgium

Hey have you noticed that we just started getting TAR season 4 and this is, if memory serves correctly (as we've been overseas since just before or after TAR1), the first season we've ever gotten!

The 80s are back, like totally!
2003 winner of the coveted "Punky"

11-27-03, 07:56 PM (EST)
18. "RE: AFN! :)"
Yay for you! I'm happy for you!

11-28-03, 04:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail udg Click to send private message to udg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: AFN! :)"
I have no idea what TAR is. I'm wracking my brain. Aaaaaa! Help me!

I am thrilled that we're getting Trading Spaces, While You Were Out and Iron Chef, though. OH!!!! TAR is The Amazing Race! LOL Yes. You're right. This is the first season we've gotten. I really like it. So far, it's the only "reality" show that I think I'd like to do.

DH told me this week that his old CO was on Eco Challenge! I never realized, but he showed DH their custom made gear when we were over there for a castle lighting.

---
UDG
Misto for S.T.O.T.Y.

Scuttlebutt 12 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

11-29-03, 07:16 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Scuttlebutt Click to send private message to Scuttlebutt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: AFN! :)"
hehe TAR = The Amazing Race ;)

11-30-03, 02:18 PM (EST)
23. "Are you watching, PM?"
I'm hiding out in the computer room until Ruben finishes huffing and puffing his way through this solo.

---
UDG
When someone says, "I'll be honest with you," he/she is lying.

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

11-26-03, 03:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "Agree"
I was also looking forward to seeing Ryan Malcolm perform for the first time ... only to find that it was a Canada-only segment.

The show aired now for the same reason Survivor is airing tonight: November sweeps end today. Fox is getting bombed in the sweeps and could use a good night!

And I just want to second the thought that the only two people who came off sounding like winners were Clay and KimLo. Frankly, considering that they're such close friends, I think RCA should make a duet album with the two of them. Hey, it worked for Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell!

geg6 14941 desperate attention whore postings

11-26-03, 04:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail geg6 Click to send private message to geg6 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Agree"
LAST EDITED ON 11-26-03 AT 04:45 PM (EST)

That is a great idea for the next AI recording project. I don't care if I never hear the rest of them again, but Clay and Kim obviously have "IT."

As far as Kim being marketable...if they can manage to market the feeble talent of Kelly Clarkson, who admittedly I give kudos to for being brave enough to be built like a real woman, then they can certainly find a way to market a REAL talent who looks like a real woman. The great Aretha is not exactly a marketer's dream in the looks department either, just the talent department. Hasn't Clay proven to them yet that the record buying public is ready for some authentic talents?

munson 1314 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beef Jerky Spokesperson"

11-26-03, 04:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail munson Click to send private message to munson Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: What did you think of the Idol Christmas Special?"
Well, I bought the CD a few weeks back and after a few spins, it is obvious that Kelly Clarkson is the most talented of the group. And it's not even close.

Clay (Mr. Dipthong - can someone work with Clay on his technique and phrasing, sheeeesh!) is more theatrical than ever! I guess Christmas Ham works for some. Not for me. No doubt, he'a a very talented singer and did a good job as host - a little cornball - but what is AI if not cornball, really? But whoever said host of the Miss USA pageant sure got it right in terms of career plateau. In the footsteps of Donny Osmond, huh? Sounds about right to me.

Thought Rube did an outstanding job. Mentioning his sweating is akin to mentioning Clay's ears, or feet. Irrelevant to his performance. He did a bang up rendition of "This Christmas" and the duet with Tamyra was beautiful. Clay and K-Lo the new Tammy and Marvin? Hardly, AK. But Rube and Tamyra? Maybe.

Can the American Juniors just break up already?

Loved the preview for AI3. Nothing like a little Simon to get you in the old holiday spirit!

Scuttlebutt 12 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

11-29-03, 07:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Scuttlebutt Click to send private message to Scuttlebutt Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: What did you think of the Idol Christmas Special?"
(it is obvious that Kelly Clarkson is the most talented of the group)

I agree entirely! I know most people thought it was so much better, but I found myself disappointed with the whole of AI2 for this reason.

(Can the American Juniors just break up already?)

Ha! That's exactly what I was thinking during the show!

ejm92 2221 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

11-30-03, 02:28 AM (EST)
Click to EMail ejm92 Click to send private message to ejm92 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: What did you think of the Idol Christmas Special?"
LAST EDITED ON 11-30-03 AT 02:28 AM (EST)

I certainly do agree with you that Kelly is the most talented of the group...but she wasn't the best on this concert. It was like she didn't care to be there and she didn't seem to know the words to her "My Grown Up Christmas List" song very well. Tamyra looked a little sick or something, she was kinda out of it. The American Juniors are just...yeah...they had no business being there. Christina Christian did a pretty good job.

On the bright side.....Kim Locke looked incredible and did an awesome job, and so did Clay....Clay definitely fits as MC, and should be the substitute host for AI3 if Ryan can't make every episode. One thing I enjoy about Clay...no matter what he is doing, he gives 100%....I used to think that of Miss Clarkson, but not anymore....the thing I like about Clay is that you could put him in your living room and he'd still sing with 100% like he did on this special. Ruben....yeah.....Ruben is just out there somewhere, I don't think he did a very good job at all. His "This Christmas" performance was pretty much comical...I thought the music to the song was pathetic. I just still cannot picture Ruben as the American Idol...Clay has outshined Ruben every time they have performed together and been together, so in my eyes Clay is the idol.

Survior 5 Anti-Bootee Champ, Survivor 6 Anti-Bootee Chump

Ra_8secs 1081 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

11-30-03, 03:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ra_8secs Click to send private message to Ra_8secs Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: What did you think of the Idol Christmas Special?"
Way way way to early. I like your Advent threshold, but even that's too early.

-- Ra

bubble_brain_23 5 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

01-11-04, 03:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail bubble_brain_23 Click to send private message to bubble_brain_23 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: What did you think of the Idol Christmas Special?"
you do realize that you contradicted yourself right? O Holy Night is a Religous song, used by many churchs including mine.

And Kelly did a fantastic job on that song! OMG, a person would have to be completely tone deaf not to realize it, no offense! How many people do you know can belt out a song like that, totally on tune and not mess up? Not a lot of em.

Think of Kelly this way, she's got real raw talent, something that's lacking in todays music scene. She's not blonde, skinny or showing more skin than should be legal and to me that makes her better than half the popular music scene.

01-11-04, 11:10 AM (EST)
26. "RE: What did you think of the Idol Christmas Special?"
I didn't contradict myself. I said it took 50 min before they sang the first religious Christmas song (which annoyed me because it meant 50 min of straight secular songs). And for my personal taste, it is mine and I don't like the way Kelly overly trilled stuff that you couldn't even reckognize the tune. In WI, some of the judges were commenting about that with her.

Three is the perfect number.

aquariaqueen 2616 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Survivor-themed Cruise Spokesperson"

01-17-04, 11:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail aquariaqueen Click to send private message to aquariaqueen Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: What did you think of the Idol Christmas Special?"
Ok, I was hoping someone would mention Ruben's blue tongue!!! It looked like he had a blue sucker before going on stage. My family just laughed and laughed. We thought for sure that the producers or one of the singers would have noticed and had him go brush his tongue during costume changes.....anybody else notice???

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •