The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Team Guido basher thread"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences The Amazing Race Basher Forum (Protected)
Original message

NightScribe 761 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

10-18-01, 01:19 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NightScribe Click to send private message to NightScribe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Team Guido basher thread"
I thought we should try and consolidate the "I hate team Guido" posts into one thread. There's much to say, so I'll get it going.
First off, my dislike for Team Guido has nothing to do with their homosexuality (unlike other posters on other threads) nor do I dislike them because of their annoying habit of dressing alike. These things are all fine and well and have nothing to do with what kind of character they possess. This is assuming a lot considering I haven't seen any displays of "character".

At first, when they ditched Rob/Brennan and the alliance, I understood they felt disadvantaged by them. Every thing since then has been a decline in human decency.

Keeping in mind that this is a game and so far the only rule they have broken was the getting off the train to take a cab thing from last night, they haven't really broken any rules. But what of the rules of human decency?

It was despicable to try and stall those other teams, causing an embarrassing incident at the airport, but to later turn it back on the Festers and THEN liken themselves to battered women is absolutely intolerable. If they had said "yeah, we were trying to stall you, so what? It's a race and we want to win" -- at least this would have been honest. But nooooooooo -- they couldn't tell the truth; instead, they make themselves out to be the victims, playing the part of "scared gay men threatened by big bad bald straight boys". Oh it was sick alright. It turned my stomach, and I kept asking no one in particular "Who do they think they're convincing? They were followed by cameras the entire time!"

No, I don't want the Guido's to win either. In fact, I'd like to see them lose in a humiliating sort of way. They've been so deceptive, so arrogant, and so condescending to the others, that it would be a sad, sad, message to send to the world that these guys could be called "winners". As a gay woman, I rooted for them in the beginning, but now I am rooting against them, for they represent NOTHING that I believe in.

They're creeps!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Team Guido basher thread Gr8tfl Grl 10-18-01 1
   RE: Team Guido basher thread Frau Hexe 10-18-01 2
   Agreed, it turned my st omach... itsjustarace 10-18-01 3
   RE: Team Guido basher thread greasergrrl 10-19-01 11
       RE: Team Guido basher thread alleyb 10-29-01 25
           RE: Team Guido basher thread greasergrrl 10-29-01 27
 Agree AyaK 10-18-01 4
 RE: Team Guido basher thread northernlights 10-18-01 5
 RE: Team Guido basher thread AresMars 10-18-01 6
 RE: Team Guido basher thread moonbaby 10-18-01 7
 RE: Team Guido basher thread Ranger 10-18-01 8
   Guidos are like the "bad guy" in wr... Ru_Man 10-18-01 9
       Beevis (Bill) and Butthead (Joe) pccraver 10-19-01 10
           RE: Beevis (Bill) and Butthead (Joe... PagongRatEater 10-19-01 12
 RE: Team Guido basher thread supershirll 10-19-01 13
   RE: Team Guido basher thread Stairway2Dayton 10-22-01 17
 RE: Team Guido basher thread Fast Eddie 10-19-01 14
   RE: Team Guido basher thread heymikey 10-27-01 23
       RE: Team Guido basher thread Fast Eddie 10-29-01 26
 Awful French at best ReiseKaiser 10-19-01 15
   RE: Awful French at best ykchan 10-19-01 16
       Did they cross the line? NightScribe 10-22-01 18
 RE: Team Guido basher thread SurvivorGuy 10-24-01 19
 USA today rips team Guido Mumbo Jumbo 10-24-01 20
 RE: Team Guido basher thread earcpa 10-25-01 21
   RE: Team Guido basher thread RaceGirl 10-31-01 29
 RE: Team Guido basher thread AmazingFan 10-25-01 22
   RE: Team Guido basher thread marathon 10-31-01 31
 RE: Team Guido basher thread TeamJoisey 10-29-01 24
 RE: Team Guido basher thread Tinkerbell 10-29-01 28
 RE: Team Guido basher thread Mercurial206 10-31-01 30
   RE: Team Guido basher thread shellybelly 11-01-01 32

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Gr8tfl Grl 14 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Got Milk? Spokesperson"

10-18-01, 01:57 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Gr8tfl%20Grl Click to send private message to Gr8tfl%20Grl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
Well written NS! I was horrified at what they did. They are horrible people! They should really be ashamed of their actions and hopefully after watching the show they will be.
How could they say "the truth is somewhere in the middle"?!?!?!
What they said was nowhere near the truth.

Comparing themselves to battered women, please!!! It was one of them that pushed Emily's mom!

"If they had said "yeah, we were trying to stall you, so what? It's a race and we want to win" -- at least this would have been honest."

I agree! Even Evil Dr. Will on BB2 was honest about his dishonesty! That could be considered strategy. What Bert & Ernie have done is unforgivable!

GO KEVIN & DREW!

Frau Hexe 716 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

10-18-01, 02:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Frau%20Hexe Click to send private message to Frau%20Hexe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
They should really be ashamed of their actions and hopefully after watching the show they will be.

Are you kidding? They'll be proud of themselves! These guys have no conscience--they're greedy, greedy bitches who want nothing more than to win, and they'll do anything they can to do so.

But you know, although I found their actions last night to be evil and dispicable, I saw something in them that made me a little sick. I honestly don't think these guys blocked the rest of the crew out of malice--they did it out of sheer terror that they might not be as good as they think they are. It will kill these guys to lose to the likes of the Festers whom they think have about as much culture as a Big Mac. People like the Guidos are all about image--where they've travelled, how many foreign countries they've lived in, what kind of tea, coffee, wine, or booze they drink, the luxury SUVs they drive, even down to the people with whom they associate. They are plastic people, and had they any true depth, they wouldn't need to be so fearful of losing something like this to two guys with some street smarts.

This show is getting more and more depressing by the day. We can only hope that Guido gets what they're asking for.

Frau Hexe

itsjustarace 7 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "American Cancer Society Spokesperson"

10-18-01, 02:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail itsjustarace Click to send private message to itsjustarace Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "Agreed, it turned my st omach..."
I was also incredible disappointed in them. They were my favorites after week #1. I didn't even mind some of the earlier instances that made some viewers mad. I thought Bill and Joe were being unfairly judged. After all it is a race and they were just trying to give themselves a competitive advantage.

However, I did start getting annoyed by their name calling -- referring to other teams as stupid or fatties. Last night they sunk to unbelievable lows though.

There are some rules of fair play that should ALWAYS be followed. It's fine to work alone and do whatever you want to do to gain an advantage, as long as it doesn't involve purposefully sabotaging other teams. Bill and Joe acted like jealous children when other teams managed to get those airlines tickets. That scene at the airport made my stomach turn. Then to see them lie to Lenny and Karen and say that they didn't set that whole thing up. To act like they actually felt threatened. It was sooooo offensive. I was embarassed for them. It's hard to believe anybody could drop from a popularity of 28% (which is where they were before last night) but I think they are going to.

Come on guys ... play hard, but play fair. They showed no sportsmanship and no class. I was so disappointed. Maybe when they see themselves on tv, they'll realize how wrong they were. One can only hope...

greasergrrl 2 desperate attention whore postings

10-19-01, 01:52 AM (EST)
Click to EMail greasergrrl Click to send private message to greasergrrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
What bothers me even more than Team Lameos' behavior is that CBS picks guys like this (and Richard Hatch) to represent homosexuals. They must've known what jerks these guys were, obviously Richard wasn't as bad as the Bobsey Twins, but sheesh - do all the out gay people on their reality shows have to be so damn snotty, smug and have questionable morals? Way to challenge stereotypes, guys. Lame.

And where are the lesbians? Everyone knows that people would much rather see a good-looking lesbian couple rather than some smarmy gay men. Or even a bear couple. Bring on the burly lumberjack gay men. That would be funny. God forbid CBS should try to make a statement beyond, "Aren't we hip to include actual Gay people," but god forbid don't let the gay people be likeable or remotely different from stereotypical public perceptions of gay people.

PS I'm a lesbian so don't bother flaming me if you think i'm homophobic ;)

alleyb 98 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

10-29-01, 02:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail alleyb Click to send private message to alleyb Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
The only reality TV shows to feature lesbians thus far have been the Real World & Road Rules. The producers have actually been very even-handed about putting as many lesbians on their shows as gay man (although so far not both at the same time). The Real World introduced Beth into their second season in L.A. (yeah, it was a really lame season, and she wasn't exactly charming, but she was there!). Genesis appeared on Real World---Boston (although seemed somewhat confused about her sexuality). Ruthie appeared on Real World--Hawaii, although it was SAD to watch her struggles with alcoholism. And now Sophia is on Road Rules (I think the first gay person on the show, now in its tenth season). She is sweet and vulnerable, and may just be the most positive role model they have shown on their shows to date.

So...when are the new prime-time reality shows going to follow suit?

greasergrrl 2 desperate attention whore postings

10-29-01, 02:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail greasergrrl Click to send private message to greasergrrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
27. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
When they aren't on Network Television? <P>
On a more positive note, I do appreciate the work MTV has done in this field - probably because young people in their target audience are more accepting of diversity than mainstream America - and I was really pleased to see three rather cute lesbians on their show Dismissed this weekend (OK, they were a little too cute/femmey to represent mainstream lesbianism but hey, I'm not complaining ;). It was amazing to consider what it would have been like for me to see that when I was 14. That would have totally changed my life. The only pseudo-gay person I knew of on TV back then was Jack from Three's Company ;)

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

10-18-01, 02:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Agree"
LAST EDITED ON 10-18-01 AT 02:34 PM (EST)

NS, thanks for your post. It's amazing that the Guidos are such pure SOBs. The Tunis airport scene was one of the worst moments ever on reality TV (and not at all funny after Sept. 11).

When Survivor 1 was on, I made lots of posts defending Richard Hatch (even though I didn't think he was going to win, thanks to my mistaken reliance on the National Geographic Adventure article) on the grounds that he wasn't really evil ... in fact, he came across as the emotional center of Tagi -- everyone in Tagi depended on him. All he was doing was playing the game to win.

By contrast, the Guidos really are jerks, who would arrange to have the other teams thrown into a Turkish prison if they thought they could get away with it. Somehow, they must believe that they are fooling the other teams ... though no one looks very fooled to me. And they certainly aren't fooling the home viewing audience!

northernlights 5058 desperate attention whore postings

10-18-01, 03:54 PM (EST)
Click to EMail northernlights Click to send private message to northernlights Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
>and THEN liken themselves to
>battered women is absolutely intolerable.

Even from the depths of my "medicine-head" due to a particularly nasty head cold, I sat straight up on the couch and screamed at the tv when they said this. Bloody drama queens - they made me sooooo flippin mad.

>instead, they make themselves out
>to be the victims, playing
>the part of "scared gay
>men threatened by big bad
>bald straight boys".

Asking if they should be afraid for their lives... give me a freakin break! Mentioning that one of bald guys is a parole officer, as if he should lose his job because he made a comment about breaking a Guido leg.

I'd like to see
>them lose in a humiliating
>sort of way. They've
>been so deceptive, so arrogant,
>and so condescending to the
>others, that it would be
>a sad, sad, message to
>send to the world that
>these guys could be called
>"winners

I can only hope that while they sat and watched the editted version on tv last night that they felt totally ashamed of themselves because of their miserable behavior. I'm sure their mothers were proud!

NS - As I watched last night's show I was composing my post in my head about Team Guido's unbelievably poor behavior but when I read yours, I saw that you had it all covered - couldn't have said it better myself... ;)

lt

AresMars 283 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

10-18-01, 04:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AresMars Click to send private message to AresMars Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
LAST EDITED ON 10-18-01 AT 04:07 PM (EST)

Thanks NightScribe.... Appreciate a place to vent.

I had no real feelings one way or the other on these two until the last few episodes and last night was just unbelievable. I have always thought that the way Hatch played the game was too much on the malicious side but these to guys take the cake when it comes to evil. They know they’re going to lose and are going to make every attempt they can get away with the same kind of crap that they pulled last night. What they did goes against everything I believe in, namely fair play and honesty. Yes, it’s a game and apparently there is no rule against sabotaging other players but that doesn’t make it right. The reason our society has so many laws and rules are because of useless pukes like these nimrods. I don’t need a rule to tell me it’s wrong to kill someone but a$$holes like these do. As an American-Italian, that’s right the American goes first, it insults me to no end that these ghouls are using the name Team Guido, Team Jerks is more accurate. I am beginning to think CBS has it in for the gay community as they can’t see to find anyone that has a thread of decency to them when there is a ton out there. I can’t wait for them to bite it. Go Festers (And to think they were the team I didn’t like)

Thanks again NS for the place to vent.

God Bless America

There are two types of people, predators and prey, and the sound you hear is the sharpening of my claws.

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

10-18-01, 04:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
We sooo need a Vamp rant for the Guidos! I can only provide a poorly done imitation, so Vamps, come on! Here's my puny attempt: Those twin dressin' compulsive lyin' bad french speakin' no manners havin' elevator blockin' superiority complex actin' world traveler posin' "good morning" sayin' Emily's mom pushin' name callin' CHEATERS! Although I did enjoy when one of them slipped and fell

Ranger 1 desperate attention whore postings

10-18-01, 04:43 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ranger Click to send private message to Ranger Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
Well put NS.

At the outset their stated intention for being on the show was to demonstrate to the viewing audience that homosexuals were upstanding people.

The behavior they have demonstrated is embarrasing at best and reprehensible at worst. The Tunis airport incident was the first thing that has made my blood boil since I started watching reality based tv.

I was incredulous as I watched the end of the show where they painted themselves as victims as if millions of people did not follow them through the airport on national tv. Are these guys that stupid or do they just think that we are? If I had to guess based on their running commentary during the show, I would say the latter.

I have to agree with those of you who said that they hope they lose in some embarrassing manner. However, I will probably vomit when I have to hear them blame their loss on someone else or tell the viewing audience how they didn't really want to win anyway. They are so pathetic!!! Aaaaaaaaaargh!

Ru_Man 15 desperate attention whore postings

10-18-01, 10:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Ru_Man Click to send private message to Ru_Man Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Guidos are like the "bad guy" in wrestling"
Yes, you have to hate them, but the show would be tres flat w'out the smug, self-absorbed dirty tricks. You know the CBS producers were salivating over that airport scene - it was great drama - too bad the Africans et al had to witness once again, some nutty americans making complete asses of themselves, - yeah it made me think of 9/11 too - how you could probably never again make this kind of show - amazing how when K went over to ask them their side of the story, after she left, they were assesing the spin of their combined lie - so classic - justifying then actually believing the lie so it sounds real good - also - lenny seems to be close to clinical depression - whups, off topic -

pccraver 12 desperate attention whore postings

10-19-01, 00:49 AM (EST)
Click to EMail pccraver Click to send private message to pccraver Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "Beevis (Bill) and Butthead (Joe)"
LAST EDITED ON 10-19-01 AT 00:56 AM (EST)

The words between = signs are what they are actually trying to get across.

Beevis: Uhg... ugh... *snort* ugh... =like lets=... *snort* ugh... he... =stop=... *snort* ... ugh... *sniff* *SNORT* he he, =people from=... uh... uh... =walking=.

Butthead: *snort* Ugh... hehe... uh... um... =yeah=!

Beevis: *throws other teams belongings all over then starts throwing obstacles at them*

Butthead: *starts shouting lies*

Beevis: =Like=... *snort* uh, ugh, hehe, oops! *sniff* hehe =why are the people= *snort* *snort* *SNORT* =looking at us when= hehe *sniff* ugh... =they should be= *sniff* =looking at the= ugh... *sniff* oops, uh... =race=.

Butthead: *snort* =It totally= *sniff* ugh, um... hahe =doesn't= *snort* *SNORT* =make like...= uh... um... =sense=.

Beevis: DUH DUH DUH!

Butthead: DUH DUH DUH!

Can Bill (Beevis) and Joe (Butthead) get any more anoying and retarded? You'll have to tune in next time to see!

PagongRatEater 12996 desperate attention whore postings

10-19-01, 11:20 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PagongRatEater Click to send private message to PagongRatEater Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Beevis (Bill) and Butthead (Joe)"
These guys are just plain awful. I will admit that I have no great personal love for their lifestyle, but I like to think that I am open-minded and judge people individually even if I disagree with the way they live. These guys have been a dis-grace to men, homosexuals, Americans and any other group that you can categorize them in. I am certain that if they wanted to find someone to represent this particular demographic they could have found ANYBODY who could have done it better. It is truly a shame that their actions are being viewed by a national television audience prompting some very strong reinforcement of negative stereo-types. Their willingness to do ANYTHING to win is what separates them from the other teams. The other teams have some moral standard - a line they won't cross. These guys don't care and unfairly or not it reflects on their sexual preference. I know I'll get flamed for that, but it is absolutely true that Joe Sixpack in fly-over America looks at those guys and says - "yep, them queers have no morals at all."

Bring on the hot lesbian teams.

supershirll 91 desperate attention whore postings

10-19-01, 01:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail supershirll Click to send private message to supershirll Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
I totally agree with you NS!

Here is a copy of a rule for the Amazing Race:

"u. The Producers reserve the right to disqualify any team for any reason, including, without limitation, any team member’s tampering with the entry process or the operation of the contest, acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner and/or with intent to accuse, threaten or harm another person, colluding with other contestants to share prize winnings, or violation of the Official Rules or other rules then in effect or the standards and practices and policies of the Producers and/or CBS. Disqualification may result in, among other things, immediate forfeiture of any prize otherwise awarded or awardable."

I think the Guidos have broken this rule and should be removed from the game, but like other reality shows they will be allowed to continue so people can "love to hate them". I found the airport scene so upsetting that I got up and left the room. That is what I would call being turned-off, not loving to hate!

Stairway2Dayton 104 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-22-01, 11:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Stairway2Dayton Click to send private message to Stairway2Dayton Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
Well, there are a team of lawyers participating. How long after the finale airs will it be before the first lawsuit is filed?

S2D

Fast Eddie 625 desperate attention whore postings

10-19-01, 02:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Fast%20Eddie Click to send private message to Fast%20Eddie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
I've just read over a dozen messages in this thread and find myself agreeing completely with what you have all said. Never have I seen fans on any of these boards so united.

Team Guido - the bin Laden of Reality TV.

heymikey 238 desperate attention whore postings

10-27-01, 04:24 AM (EST)
Click to EMail heymikey Click to send private message to heymikey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
>> Team Guido - the bin Laden of Reality TV

That is disgusting. Comparing Team Guido with a known terrorist who has killed thousands of people is pathetic. It may be true that Team Guido is a total disgrace and should be ashamed of themselves, but your comment only proves that you, yourself, belong to the same level as Bert and Ernie.

Fast Eddie 625 desperate attention whore postings

10-29-01, 10:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Fast%20Eddie Click to send private message to Fast%20Eddie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
LAST EDITED ON 10-29-01 AT 10:09 AM (EST)

It must really bother you to see all the bin Laden cartoons floating on the net, all the jokes, all the skits, etc. I trust you don't watch any of the late night talk shows. Too bad for you. See your doctor; I hear they have medication to help.

Once you've taken your Paxil and had a chat with your shrink, check out msg #24.

ReiseKaiser 20 desperate attention whore postings

10-19-01, 07:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ReiseKaiser Click to send private message to ReiseKaiser Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "Awful French at best"
I harped on this point before and I will do so again: These guys DO NOT speak French that well. Oh sure, they can get by, but that does not mean they can speak the language. My first language is French and I cringe every time I hear the Guidos speak it. The last example of their mangling is the word contestant. The French word for "contestant" is NOT NOT NOT contestant spoken with a french accent.

Kevin and Drew said it best: "We know already that you speak french, and we're not impressed any more." Too bad they don't know the entire story...

ykchan 58 desperate attention whore postings

10-19-01, 10:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ykchan Click to send private message to ykchan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Awful French at best"
I was also grinning at the Guidos' use of the word "contestant" in French as well. Margarita's pronunciations are a lot better than theirs. Heck, I was also impressed with the little Italian Frank used to get to the village (again, better than the Guidos).

NightScribe 761 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

10-22-01, 05:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail NightScribe Click to send private message to NightScribe Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "Did they cross the line?"
Thanks Supershrill for finding that clause in the application rules. Here's the exerpt that seems to stand out in this case:
The Producers reserve the right to disqualify any team for any reason, including, without limitation, any team member’s tampering with the entry process or the operation of the contest, acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. . .

I would say that this last clause describes the Guido's actions to a tee.
What I would like to know is, is this the same application/rules that these contestants signed, or was it modified after TAR 1 -- once producers realized how low some contestants would stoop. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that part about unsportsman like behavior was added for the purposes of TAR 2.

Good thoughts everyone. I especially appreciate those of you who recongize how dangerous it is for the gay community when we are stereotyped in this way.

Stereotypes in general have a grain of truth in them -- it's usually the lowest common denominator (something everyone can understand) like all gay men are feminine. Sure, some are, but there are plenty of burly, masculine gay men who are sensitive, successful, and not at all an easy target for gay bashers. Since this isn't an easy formula for most people, and goes against the stereotype, it's difficult for various images to gain acceptance. Think about it, the most successful "gay man" characters out there in film or television are the accepted stereotypes -- think Will and Grace here. They're O.K to laugh at (how many times have we been shown one of the Guidos falling or some other embarrassing action) but don't trust 'em!

I would, for once, like to see a gay person depicted as a real person rather than some pre-determined caricature. But alas! We have a ways to go on that one.
<NS steps down from her pulpit>

Resume bashing the evil Guidos!

SurvivorGuy 24 desperate attention whore postings

10-24-01, 11:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorGuy Click to send private message to SurvivorGuy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
I agree with everything that has been said. Especially the part about gay stereotypes. Now, on Survivor 3, they have Brandon, another gay man that fits the traditional stereotypes. Where are the football watching, beer drinking, pickup driving gay men?

The way I'd like to see the Guidos go is for them to be ahead on an episode, get to the roadblock all smug, and then get totally lost and come in last. We'd see one Guido standing bewildered as all the other teams start after them and finish ahead of them, while the other Guido wanders lost in some maze. Not likely, I know, the roadblock challenges are never that hard.

Mumbo Jumbo 270 desperate attention whore postings

10-24-01, 05:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Mumbo%20Jumbo Click to send private message to Mumbo%20Jumbo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "USA today rips team Guido"
Posted this because I like his take on Guido. We're not the only ones noticing their behavior.

Critics Corner: Wednesday

• Team Guido: Joe and Bill's excellent adventure. At the midway point, CBS is trying to jump-start interest in its ratings-stalled reality show The Amazing Race (tonight, 9 ET/PT). It's probably a case of too little, too late — particularly since this episode is one of the show's weaker installments.

• While this beautifully shot series is usually exciting, tonight's cross-continental race is merely hectic, with the contestants rushing from one form of transportation to another to make their way from Italy to India. In the best episodes, the contestants have to overcome their own lack of familiarity with language and geography to succeed. But in India, Race makes an obstacle out of the native people themselves — their poverty and their sheer numbers — which is tasteless, offensive and xenophobic.

• Even if the episode were stronger, it's unlikely the show can be revived, particularly now that The West Wing is back in full force. Which may be just as well, because it spares most people exposure to The Guidos, who started out as comic relief and have grown so relentlessly nasty and humorless that it's not even worth the effort to root against them. But I will, anyway: They're sucking all the fun out of the game.

earcpa 16 desperate attention whore postings

10-25-01, 05:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail earcpa Click to send private message to earcpa Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
I doubt these guys are the least bit embarrassed by their own actions. However, I would bet that it will have an effect on their professional lives. One is self-employed and one is a realtor. Would you trust these guys to deal with you honestly and fairly? I, for one, hope these guys suffer some kind of consequences for their pathetic behavior.

RaceGirl 50 desperate attention whore postings

10-31-01, 04:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail RaceGirl Click to send private message to RaceGirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
29. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
LAST EDITED ON 10-31-01 AT 04:14 PM (EST)

"Would you trust these guys to deal with you
honestly and fairly? I, for one, hope these guys suffer some kind of consequences for their pathetic behavior."

We can only hope. The sad thing is that so much depends on whether they win. If they lose, then people they know will be able to laugh at/ridicule/shun them and feel it is justified. But, if they win, then people will be much more forgiving and the Guidos will milk it for all it is worth. I truly think the game would be the loser in that case.

Very similiar to the reaction of many people after Survivor I. My friends and I were all addicted and desperate for Richard to get his comeuppance. He ends up winning--all his 'strategy' is attributed to just playing the game--all is forgiven by the media (apparently.) But we all stopped watching Survivor after that--so the show/game was the big loser. I'm hoping that Guido doesn't 'ruin' a good game!

AmazingFan 121 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

10-25-01, 05:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AmazingFan Click to send private message to AmazingFan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
I missed that episode but read the summary here so I have a general impression of what happened. Shoving Momily? Shame!!

I must say that it seems totally in character for them as they have shown themselves repeatedly to be pretentious self-aggrandizing overconfident pompous jerks. And a few other things, too. They do appear to have a good relationship with each other though, I must admit they are well paired.

They obviously think they are so cultured and refined when they have shown themselves to be culturally ignorant - living in France 2 years and can barely speak the language? Never saying "thank you" to any locals who help them? Yelling at poor pedestrians in India who deign to pass in front of their rickshaw?

For two people who profess to like foreign cultures - ie food wine art - they seem to have no real interest in or respect for the people who actually live in these countries! What ignorant hypocrites. (Wow, this show really brings out the anger in me!)

However, watching their faces when they finally come in last - somewhere, somehow -- would provide a wonderful TV moment.

Having demonstrated my bias, let me say I'm rooting for a F&M/Festers final!

And I must say - I just love this show, despite it's flaws.

marathon 5 desperate attention whore postings

10-31-01, 07:58 PM (EST)
Click to EMail marathon Click to send private message to marathon Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
31. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
>Having demonstrated my bias, let me say I'm rooting
>for a F&M/Festers final!

I'm going to chime in, inappropriately to this thread
probably, that I'm hoping for Rob&Brennan/Festers.
I've certainly never heard Rob or Brennan verbally
abuse each other and think they're the best sports.
Kevin & Drew are the show's sole source of humor.

cheers,
jeff

TeamJoisey 3558 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

10-29-01, 02:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail TeamJoisey Click to send private message to TeamJoisey Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
LAST EDITED ON 10-29-01 AT 02:04 AM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 10-29-01 AT 02:01 AM (EST)

For the record, this belongs here.

Bert and Ernie truly are evil...

Tinkerbell 1587 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

10-29-01, 02:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tinkerbell Click to send private message to Tinkerbell Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
28. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
Did you see my thresd that I posted on Off Topic this morning? My boyfriend and I looked like Team Guido this morning! *shudder* We both ended up wearing our black cashmere sweaters and khaki dress pants with black shoes. My first thought was of the Guidos. *shudders again*

What is it with them that they dress alike everyday? I think it is freaky.

Where is my necklace?

Mercurial206 2 desperate attention whore postings

10-31-01, 07:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Mercurial206 Click to send private message to Mercurial206 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
Good Lord -- some of you people need to get a grip. Team Guido is more competitive -- and yes, some of the time their desire to win does cause them to step on some proverbial toes -- SO WHAT -- this show is not called “The Amazing Group Hug” -- it’s called “The Amazing Race”. Come on...the whole point of this show is to get the better of your opponents.

If you want fairness, politeness, and storybook endings over fresh baked biscuits -- watch the Walton’s.

I have been a fan of the “Reality TV” genre since the early days of “The Real World” -- and it is the raw tensions and frustrations between two groups or two individuals that makes these shows exciting -- if not addicting. Throw in the “game” aspect -- and the phenomenon explodes into the mainstream.

It amazes me that so many people have taken the most absurd things from this show and blown them entirely out of proportion -- to the point of causing people to liken Bill and Joe to Bin Laden -- ugh -- get some real perspective folks. (I don’t recall seeing a pair of angel’s wings on any of the other competitors.)

What is with all this “They pushed Nancy!” -- puhleese -- and you believe this to be true because Emily, of all nitwits, said so -- anybody who gets their “reliable” information from a melodramatic, teen terror in a training bra is a sucker. I know for a fact that if Team Guido would have knocked Nancy on her can it would have definitely been shown on television -- just think of the ratings! “Gay man pummels Old Woman!” At worst -- they stepped in front of her, maybe even nudged her out of the way. Boo Hoo. You don’t score points for being a gentleman in this game. So their French isn’t to par -- Boo Hoo...and the list of grabbed straws goes on and on...

But the most annoying theme here is how people insist that Team Guido -- or any gay person who appears on television is somehow a spokesperson(s) for “the rest of us” -- the gays and lesbians out in “the real world”. Why is it that I am capable of NOT assuming that every gay person on TV is a direct extension of me and my “reputation” -- hell, I am Hispanic too -- but gosh golly gee -- I also have the ability to not believe that every Hispanic person that rolls across the ole Satan box is somehow going to speak for me either -- especially a person on an empty calorie Reality TV show.

Any person who lives in fear of being misrepresented by people who basically play “characters” on Reality TV shows is a fool. Any person who develops opinions and draws conclusions of certain groups of people, gay or otherwise, based on television shows is an even bigger fool. “Cuz you know the tay-vay don’t lie.” Whatever.

I mean_bah_ I mean -- ugh!

shellybelly 16 desperate attention whore postings

11-01-01, 01:42 PM (EST)
Click to EMail shellybelly Click to send private message to shellybelly Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
32. "RE: Team Guido basher thread"
Well, I would have to agree with you in part. Without Team Guido..how many of us would enjoy this show as much? Just like Richard, Sue and Jerry on Survivor, we, the viewing public just love to hate someone. (Anyone remember how boring BB1 was after Jordan left?) We need the "good versus evil" component. That being said, I still do not want the Guidos to win. What bothers me about these guys, although they have played the game fairly well, is just how smug they seem to be. They not only are supremely overconfident in themselves, but seem to truly believe that they are better, and somehow more deserving than the rest of the teams. I wouldn't like that attitude in the real world, and I don't like it on TV.

I agree that people are thinking that these guys are not great representatives of the gay/lesbian community...but why should they be considered a representative of any sort? I certainly don't look at them and think "they are not accurately representing white males in the US." I think " these guys seem like pretty arrogant human beings"...

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •