The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"I'm in the market for a digital camera"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

TechNoir 9741 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-09-02, 11:38 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"I'm in the market for a digital camera"
and I don't know squat about them. Lots of you apparently manage to take snaps that you upload, so tell me what I need to know.

The only things I am sure of are that I want rechargable batteries, enough storage to take a couple dozen photos, and I want to be able to do close ups of fiber and fabric. Oh, and there is a limit to what I am willing to spend. I'm not sure of an exact number so tell me what I need to know. Please.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: I'm in the market for a digital... echogirl 12-09-02 1
 RE: I'm in the market for a digital... Silvergirl1 12-10-02 2
   RE: I'm in the market for a digital... Ashmo 12-10-02 3
 RE: I'm in the market for a digital... mistofleas 12-10-02 4
 RE: I'm in the market for a digital... TechNoir 12-11-02 5
 One more digital camera comment AyaK 12-12-02 6
   RE: One more digital camera comment TechNoir 12-12-02 7
       RE: One more digital camera comment Schnookie Palookie 12-12-02 8
       OS issues AyaK 12-12-02 9

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

echogirl 2120 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Roller Coaster Inaugurator"

12-09-02, 11:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail echogirl Click to send private message to echogirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: I'm in the market for a digital camera"
I have a Sony Mavica I bought for my online stuff. It has a rechargable battery and uses floppies. Each floppy can hold about 25 pictures. It doesn't have the detail of your basic 35MM, but it's not bad. Just make sure you have good lighting because the built in flash tends to distort colors. I bought mine mainly because it was quick and relatively simple to use. You can photoshop imperfections.

Silvergirl1 9342 desperate attention whore postings

12-10-02, 02:11 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: I'm in the market for a digital camera"
Tech, here's a link that I think you will find helpful:

http://www.steves-digicams.com

It has camera reviews, 360 degree views of cameras and even examples of what kind of photos to expect from the model camera you select.

We wound up buying a Canon Powershot G40 that is really nice as an automatic focus and can be manually focused, and even takes B&W photos or sepia toned ones. I don't know when I will use those particular features, but I like having the extra choices. It cost us $250, but there are so many choices out there that are less expensive and the more expensive models, of course.

Surf for comparison shopping with reviews on the products, places like Dealtime, epinions, price, pricegrabber can be helpful, but I don't remember which ones were the most helpful. Do a search on Google or any other search engine.

Some things to consider:

1. Some mail order places and sellers on ebay sell goods that are not warranted in the USA. Make sure you are buying one that has a USA warranty if you don't want to send a lemon back to a foreign country and wait for a new one.

We wound up buying our camera at Walmart because of it's liberal return policy. Best buy, on the other hand, charges a 15%restocking fee. I also didn't want to wait for a package to arrive in the mail.

2. Batteries - we wanted a camera that took rechargable AA batteries, some of them require special batteries that will be expensive to replace.

3. Battery life - the Elph is a cute pocket camera that sounds nice, but has a short battery life. The Canon we bought is still a compact and uses rechargable AA's and we are quite happy with it.

4. Removable memory cards of some type are great when you want to take a lot of pictures on a trip. You can have more than one memory card to store your pictures.

5. Connection - buy one that connects to a USB port to simplify the downloading of photos. One really cheap camera that my husband bought last year did not have the removable memory card and had to be hooked up to a serial port, which is hard to get to on our computer. Guess that is why we have not used it much, but it will probably be our daughters play around camera.

One comment from Ashmo helped me decide to look into Olympus and Canon model cameras. Both companies make good lenses and quality cameras.

Ashmo 545 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

12-10-02, 11:42 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Ashmo Click to send private message to Ashmo Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: I'm in the market for a digital camera"
And don't forget about the Sony. I used to not recommend Sony just because of the fact that they were so expensive for what you got and you had to buy Sony brand accessories for them because only Sony made accessories for their cameras like the Memory Stick (C). Now other companies have finally started to make accessories for Sony cameras which forces them all to lower their price and compete with each other and also Sony has made their camera prices more competative as well.

Because of this, Sony is another choice to really consider because they are a lot more reasonable then they were 2 years ago.

Ashmo

mistofleas 8043 desperate attention whore postings

12-10-02, 12:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mistofleas Click to send private message to mistofleas Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: I'm in the market for a digital camera"
I have an Olympia and I love it. It uses the SmartMedia Card so if you're using the lower definition you can easily get about 100 pictures on a disc. The higher definitions (which I'm sure you'd want for fabrics and stuff) about 40 - 50. The link should give you all the info you need and it's a pretty reasonable price.

Hope this helps and good luck!

--loves her camera because it was her first ever

12-11-02, 07:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail TechNoir Click to send private message to TechNoir Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: I'm in the market for a digital camera"
Thank you all very much for your help. And a special thanks to Silvergirl for the comparison site. I'm honing in on an answer.

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

12-12-02, 03:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "One more digital camera comment"
I love my digital camera ... but it doesn't love me.

I've been a closet Unix lover for years. However, ever since I upgraded my iMac to OS X from OS 9.2, my digital camera won't upload to my computer. I used to be able to force it to upload by starting the computer in the "classic Mac" OS 9 window -- but the latest version of OS X (I use 10.1.6, not Jaguar) doesn't permit that any longer.

My camera is explicitly listed by Apple as compatible with OS X and iPhoto -- but it still doesn't work.

After hours of effort, I've now been told that I need to upgrade the firmware within the camera Aand have been sent the firmware plus instructions on how to upgrade it using the iMac. If that works, great. If not, everyone seems to be out of ideas. At that point, maybe I'll just buy a new camera!

So, TechNoir, just thought I'd bring this up to add to your considerations....

12-12-02, 03:58 PM (EST)
7. "RE: One more digital camera comment"
Thanks .. that is helpful. I am about to upgrade my main box to Redhat 8.xx but I also have an NT laptop at home, so I should be able to get most anything into the Windows box and then move it. What kind of camera is it btw?

Schnookie Palookie 16822 desperate attention whore postings

12-12-02, 04:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Schnookie%20Palookie Click to send private message to Schnookie%20Palookie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: One more digital camera comment"
I have a Kodak and a Canon digital. Unfortunately, they don't work with NT so we have to download the pics onto a separate laptop with Windows 98 on it. That was a bummer.

AyaK 10426 desperate attention whore postings

12-12-02, 05:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail AyaK Click to send private message to AyaK Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "OS issues"
My camera is an older, basic model: an HP 315, which I bought in early 2001. The camera had a firmware upgrade in Dec. 2000 and was ultimately discontinued in July 2001 (in favor of the HP 318, which has now ALSO been discontinued). Current thinking seems to be that the Unix driver needs the newer firmware to recognize the camera, although no one from HP really can say for sure. However, I've got about 250 pictures (generally of my children) saved on my upgraded memory card, and I'm going to download those one way or the other! Anyway, I'll probably know by tomorrow if the firmware fixes the problem.

Also, a couple of years ago, a lot of the camera upload drivers weren't compatible with NT. I don't know what the current status is. Apple builds an upload applet (ImageCapture) into the Mac OS, but Microsoft does not.

Speaking of Unix -- I saw Microsoft and a research firm stating yesterday that Microsoft would be unlikely to write a version of Office for Linux, even though the research firm thinks Microsoft will have to make server tools for Linux (which Microsoft disputes). Now, since Microsoft already has a version of Office for Unix (the OS X Office, which I have), the expense in converting that software to Linux, while not insubstantial, would seem to be outweighed by the potential number of Linux users, wouldn't it? Wouldn't you expect a profit-seeking non-monopolist to try to corner the Linux applications software market, just as it cornered the Mac market?

Could this be an example of ... oh, I don't know ... anticompetitive conduct by Microsoft to protect its crumbling Windows monopoly?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •