The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Food News"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

newsomewayne 9353 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-15-12, 03:26 PM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Food News"
This just happened? http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/02/15/man-suffers-heart-attack-while-dining-at-heart-attack-grill-in-las-vegas/

If this were me, guess who's kid wouldn't be going to pre-school the next day.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/14/preschoolers-homemade-lunch-replaced-with-nuggets/

Black Friday expectations delivered by Agman, 2011

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Food News jbug 02-15-12 1
   RE: Food News cahaya 02-15-12 2
       RE: Food News suzzee 02-17-12 16
       RE: Food News agman 02-17-12 22
   RE: Food News frodis 02-17-12 7
       RE: Food News jbug 02-17-12 9
           RE: Food News frodis 02-17-12 10
               RE: Food News Max Headroom 02-17-12 14
               RE: Food News Snidget 02-17-12 15
               RE: Food News jbug 02-17-12 18
       RE: Food News weltek 02-17-12 11
       RE: Food News newsomewayne 02-17-12 19
           RE: Food News frodis 02-17-12 20
           RE: Food News Estee 02-17-12 24
 RE: Food News Estee 02-15-12 3
 Story #2 - not even remotely accura... frodis 02-16-12 4
   GASP! Estee 02-16-12 6
       RE: GASP! frodis 02-17-12 8
 RE: Food News VisionQuest 02-16-12 5
   RE: Food News weltek 02-17-12 12
   RE: Food News Starshine 02-17-12 13
       RE: Food News suzzee 02-17-12 17
 RE: Food News samboohoo 02-17-12 21
   RE: Food News jbug 02-17-12 23
       RE: Food News agman 02-17-12 25

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

02-15-12, 03:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Food News"
I heard about the second story on the radio a few days ago.
My initial reactions?:
*a lot of kids will not eat cafeteria lunches, so you're only wasting food by putting it in front of them.

*when and why has our government decided that it has control over every aspect of our lives? If gov is going to tell parents what their kids have to eat, when will they start deciding who can and who can not have children to start with?

A school teacher called into the radio program to say how disgusted she gets watching all the food thrown away at her elementary school. Per her: Children MUST take a carton of milk and a carton of orange juice; if it is not opened? it is thrown in the trash; it can not be put back in the frig for the next day.

When I worked in Head Start in FL, it was terrible to see all the food thrown away. There were all these guidelines about requirements that HAD to be met. In order to meet the requirements, foods were prepared that kids would not eat. I'd say at least 50% on every plate was thrown out - % was probably much higher.

We hear so much about how many children go hungry in the USA. And yet, millions - probably billions - of dollars are thrown in the trash at schools all over the nation.
So, now let's add to that; kids who take their lunch from home can also be "given" food to throw away.

Crusin w/ Tribe

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

02-15-12, 04:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Food News"
Gone are the days where you'd you to school with a metal school-bus shaped lunchbox with PB&J or bologna sandwich and an apple with a Twinkie.

suzzee 5961 desperate attention whore postings

02-17-12, 12:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail suzzee Click to send private message to suzzee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: Food News"
Exactly Chenbot. sigh. That's okay yesterday I had a bologna sandwich & chips for lunch, dinner was a pb&j and banana sandwich. I'm currently in a petulant I ain't cooking dinner mode so I'm reliving my childhood.

I wish I still hand my Lassie lunchbox with the glass thermos.

Anyone remember the bummer of shaking your thermos and hearing the crunch crunch of a broken glass liner.

I'm not that old, I saw it on the History Channel.

gimmeabreak

A Tribe masterpiece

agman 11166 desperate attention whore postings

02-17-12, 05:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "RE: Food News"
..and you would trade with your friends to get your favorite desert

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

02-17-12, 09:56 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Food News"
School lunches aren't so much a case of the government telling you what to do, as they are a case of the power of lobbiests telling Congress what to do. The nutritional standards set forth for school lunches have been heavily influenced by some large forces in agriculture - the potato lobby fighting for french fries being considered a vegetable, for example.

If the government is paying for the lunch, then they probably should have some say in what they're serving, no?

02-17-12, 10:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Food News"
they probably should have some say in what they're serving, no?

yes.
but at least prepare it in a way that they kids will eat it;
or choose foods that the kids will eat.
To me, if kids will not eat liver, then don't cook liver! No point in throwing it all the the trash.
Find another alternative to liver.

02-17-12, 10:33 AM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Food News"
LAST EDITED ON 02-17-12 AT 10:37 AM (EST)

There are schools serving liver? Really?

ETA: I've looked at the lunch menu at the local elementary school. It includes chicken nuggets, tacos, pizza, chicken rings, mini hamburgers, tacos (again), mini boneless bbq ribs, Bosco dippers with meat sauce (I don't even know what that is) hot dogs, chicken fingers (a variation on the nuggets theme, apparently.)

If kids aren't eating that crap, it isn't because it's not "something kids will eat" (another rant for another day - the notion that kids won't eat certain things is largely bogus.) It's because that food is crappy and the kids not-eating it are smarter than the people who make this junky food.

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

02-17-12, 12:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: Food News"
I think Fro needs a second career as a school lunch lady. At my daughter's school.

There's no hope for picky DS, but DD eats almost everything.

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings

02-17-12, 12:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: Food News"
Never heard of a school serving liver, usually they try to stick to kid friendly foods, but most of those aren't really as healthy as they should be.

A lot of the problem is industrial food is often kind sad and sometimes the most processed parts are the most edible. It can be hard to get kids who are not ever asked to eat a veggie at home to eat the veggies you have to put on the plate to make it a regulation meal.

02-17-12, 12:29 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Food News"
The liver was on the Head Start menu in FL (course that was 15 yrs ago so); maybe liver wasn't a good example.

& I agree that the preparation of the chicken nuggets etc is a big part of why the kids won't eat it. Who wants rubbery nuggets?

Saw an episode of "Chopped" that had 4 lunch ladies on it.
They were creative in producing dishes; but I wonder if they would be allowed to change up the recipes at the schools.

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

02-17-12, 10:38 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Food News"
*commercial interuption*
Mmm, tater tots.

-Handcrafted by RollDdice

newsomewayne 9353 desperate attention whore postings

02-17-12, 01:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail newsomewayne Click to send private message to newsomewayne Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Food News"
If the government is paying for the lunch, then they probably should have some say in what they're serving, no?

And if the government is paying for the Welfare, then they should be able to force birth control on the moms w/ Welfare babies, right?

02-17-12, 03:28 PM (EST)
20. "RE: Food News"
And if the government is paying for the Welfare, then they should be able to force birth control on the moms w/ Welfare babies, right?

No.

Just as I do not think that children should be forced to eat what is offered to them. Even if they are enrolled in voluntary, state-subsidized programs which include nutritional supplementation as part of their guidelines. The extra food items are given as an option to supplement their lunch. It is still the child's choice whether to eat it.

I do support birth control offered as an option as part of receiving welfare assistance. It's up to the recipient to take it or leave it.

But let's be fair. The the school lunch "nutrition" offered is the equivalent to welfare recipients being given a Bayer aspirin to hold between their knees and calling it "Birth Control."

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

02-17-12, 07:50 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Food News"

02-15-12, 04:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Food News"
LAST EDITED ON 02-15-12 AT 04:19 PM (EST)

My only surprise on Story #2 was that it didn't happen in NYC.

Yes, there are parents out there who send their kids out with a juice box and a pack of Twinkies. And those kids need help. (More the parents than the kids in the long-term, but for mealtime, both.) But the lunch described in the article sounded passable.

I just don't think there's any court of even first resort here: when the battlecry is 'for the children!', anyone who disagrees with the results is seen as going beyond merely hating America. Protest all you like: CPS will just arrive that much faster.

As for Story #1... well, he can't say he wasn't warned...

ETA: The callousness of the tourists doesn't surprise me: that's the society and in Las Vegas, anything could be a staged event. On the other hand, eating free if you weigh 350lbs or more... huh. Wonder if they inspect for F/X bodysuits. Come to think of it, how good is that food? I smell a Face/Off Season #3 challenge cooking in the back room. Can you get your model in without a second look? Start your padding now!

02-16-12, 07:13 PM (EST)
4. "Story #2 - not even remotely accurate."
I happen to follow a lot of news and writers on matters of nutrition and, specifically, school nutrition programs. This story made the rounds pretty quickly. I initially thought that there was something fishy about the story, and as it turns out, a lot of other people thought so, too. Some people dug into it a bit, and at best, it is a piece of highly embellished and inaccurate reporting.

Here's one article that shows a good summation of the digging-into:
A North Carolina Non-Troversy

In short, what seems to have happened is that someone noticed that the child didn't have milk, and told the girl to go through the lunch line to get a carton of milk. The child ended up with a whole chicken nugget lunch. Which her mother has not been - would never have been, and will not be - charged for.

No "state agent" inspecting lunches.

No confiscation or forced replacement of her home-brought lunch.

She was simply offered additional food to supplement her lunch, which is one of the guidelines of the program in which she is enrolled.

The child is enrolled in an optional daycare program, which is fully funded by the state (hence, free for the child) which is for at-risk children who either have special needs or are from low-income families. The children have to qualify for the program. One of the guidelines of the program is that they are authorized to offer the children additional food if the lunch that they bring from home is lacking in nutrition. For children in low-income families who may be food-insecure and not be able to afford to pack nutritious lunches, this is a rather important option for the school to be able to offer. The adult who suggested that she go get some milk was trying to do a good thing for her.

The whole "preschooler's homemade lunch replaced by cafeteria chicken nuggets" story is pretty much a re-ordering of facts, and liberal and incorrect use of a thesaurus, to produce very little story and tons of sensationalism.

And as with most sensational headlines, no one will bother learning the real story when the made-up version is so much more interesting.

02-16-12, 09:35 PM (EST)
6. "GASP!"
Are you claiming Faux News would report an inaccurate story? Why, that's just unbalanced!

02-17-12, 10:00 AM (EST)
8. "RE: GASP!"
I think my favorite part of the story is how the "state agent" (who didn't exist) in the original story morphed into a "federal agent" when the story was reported by Rush Limbaugh.

Does it make me naive if I wish for some journalistic standards?

Stop laughing.

VisionQuest 1171 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

02-16-12, 08:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail VisionQuest Click to send private message to VisionQuest Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Food News"
Since school lunches are one of the topics, I will tell a little story about my YDD. She was about 8 and came home asking me if there was anyway I could check the amount of money in her lunch account (at her school, you send in money once a month and they debit it). Apparently, she ordered chicken nuggets for lunch, sat down, took one bite, and decided that they were inedible. She took them back to the counter and demanded a refund to her account. She came home and was hopping mad about the whole thing. I promised I would call so I did. The principal was so amused - he had never heard of sending back a lunch.

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

02-17-12, 10:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Food News"
LOL! I see a future lawyer or food critic in your family.

-Handcrafted by RollDdice

Starshine 5033 desperate attention whore postings

02-17-12, 11:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "RE: Food News"
But, we sent out Jamie Oliver to try to help, and you sent him away with a flea in his ear

suzzee 5961 desperate attention whore postings

02-17-12, 12:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail suzzee Click to send private message to suzzee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Food News"
you sent him away with a flea in his ear

This must mean something different where I come from.

Sweet! Thanks to Ag!

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

02-17-12, 04:49 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: Food News"
I had lunch today at my son's school. I brought lunch in simply because it was a treat for both of us, and because the menu was "student planned," so we really didn't know what it would be.

I was surprised. It was a breakfast for lunch day, in which they always serve turkey sausage and fresh fruit. The other choices could be egg & cheese sandwiches or french toast sticks. Today it was mini pancakes. The kids were eating them up. The other option was cereal, and it was Fruit Loops (*waives to Howard Wallowitz*).

I have eaten lunch there before. The grilled cheese and veggie soup is a favorite. The chicken patty isn't bad either. It was served with the freshest, most beautiful carrots/cucumbers I've ever seen!

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

02-17-12, 05:39 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Food News"
The lunch ladies there need some recognition!
Good for them that they can prepare what the kids will eat.

agman 11166 desperate attention whore postings

02-17-12, 08:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
25. "RE: Food News"
We started doing that at the schools here in Ca last year. The students really love it.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •