The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan Soup and French-Canadian Tourtière"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

PepeLePew13 26135 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-05-12, 11:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan Soup and French-Canadian Tourtière"
Here’s a two-fer that is ideal for a cold, wintery day (takes a look out of the window – uhh, work with me here, folks).

One is a hearty, heart-smart soup with low- or no-sodium ingredients for those who are conscious of what they’re putting into their bodies and/or wanting to cut back on sodium. Fills you right up!

The other is a meaty staple popular amongst the Québécois and Acadians, with recipes unique to just about every family in Québec, and in my family it is tradition to have tourtière (pronounced tour-tee-ehr) with deep-browned baked beans and salad the day after Christmas at the home of my aunt’s (a Québécois herself). Perfect after a day outdoors sledding, skating or playing hockey, or even just trying to stay upright while going to the grocery store during a blizzard. (again, work with me here)

For the Hearty Tuscan Soup, go to post #1.

For the French-Canadian Tourtière, go to post #2.

For the pie crust pastry for the tourtière, go to post #3.

Have one as a meal on its own or have both with the soup as an appetizer then the tourtière as an entrée, although the soup can be rather filling on its own.

Bon appétit!

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan... PepeLePew13 02-05-12 1
   RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan... Tummy 02-06-12 6
       RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan... agman 02-09-12 20
   RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan... Karchita 02-06-12 9
       RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan... PepeLePew13 02-06-12 12
           RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan... Karchita 02-07-12 18
       RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan... samboohoo 02-27-12 30
           RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan... PepeLePew13 02-27-12 31
   RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan... frodis 02-06-12 10
   RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan... qwertypie 02-14-12 21
       the Verdict is in..... qwertypie 02-15-12 22
   RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan... frodis 03-03-12 33
       RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan... samboohoo 03-03-12 34
           RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan... frodis 03-04-12 35
               RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan... PepeLePew13 03-04-12 36
 French-Canadian Tourtière PepeLePew13 02-05-12 2
   RE: French-Canadian Tourtière qwertypie 02-06-12 4
   RE: French-Canadian Tourtière Tummy 02-06-12 7
       RE: French-Canadian Tourtière PepeLePew13 02-06-12 8
   RE: French-Canadian Tourtière frodis 02-06-12 11
       RE: French-Canadian Tourtière PepeLePew13 02-06-12 13
           RE: French-Canadian Tourtière frodis 02-06-12 14
   RE: French-Canadian Tourtière Breezy 02-07-12 15
       RE: French-Canadian Tourtière Starshine 02-15-12 24
   RE: French-Canadian Tourtière jbug 02-07-12 17
       RE: French-Canadian Tourtière PepeLePew13 02-09-12 19
   Saudi-Canadian Tourtière IceCat 02-15-12 26
       RE: Saudi-Canadian Tourtière Tummy 02-15-12 27
           RE: Saudi-Canadian Tourtière PepeLePew13 02-15-12 28
 Pie Crust pastry PepeLePew13 02-05-12 3
   RE: Pie Crust pastry qwertypie 02-06-12 5
   RE: Pie Crust pastry Starshine 02-15-12 23
       RE: Pie Crust pastry qwertypie 02-15-12 25
 French-Canadian Torture Brownroach 02-07-12 16
 RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan... Tummy 02-27-12 29
 RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan... samboohoo 03-03-12 32

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

02-05-12, 11:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan Soup and French-Canadian Tourtière"
LAST EDITED ON 02-05-12 AT 11:53 PM (EST)

Hearty Tuscan Soup

This can be cooked on the stove (1 hour or so) or in a slow-cooker (6-to-8 hours).

I have adapted this recipe to include low-sodium or no-sodium ingredients – for example, I usually like using vegetable broth but there isn’t one (at least in my area) that is no-sodium, so for this one, I used no-sodium-added Campbell’s chicken broth which has only about 10 percent of the amount of sodium found in a normal chicken or vegetable broth.

Ingredients: (Possible substitutes listed in red)

15 mL (1 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
10 mL (2 tsp) dried oregano leaves
5 mL (1 tsp) dried basil leaves
2 mL (1/2 tsp) hot pepper flakes
125 mL (1/2 cup) brown rice
1 can (796 mL/28 oz) no salt added diced tomatoes - some people like stewed tomatoes, that’s fine
750 mL (3 cups) sodium reduced chicken broth or vegetable broth, if you don’t mind the salt
1 can (540 mL/19 oz) mixed beans, drained
1 pkg (300 g/10 oz) frozen chopped spinach or if you’re not a Popeye-wannabe, substitute with 2 cups or so of frozen mixed vegetables

Directions:

1. In large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, oregano, basil and hot pepper flakes. Stir for about 10 minutes or until softened.

2. Stir in rice to coat. Add tomatoes, broth, beans and spinach; bring to boil.

3. Reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer for about 45+ minutes or until rice is tender.

4. If using a slow cooker: Combine all the ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.

5. Serve!

On the side, I like to whip together some minced garlic with margarine and then spread it on slices of Italian bread, broil until browned.
If you like your soup more brothy, add in an extra cup of broth.

Pictures:

The ingredients

Veggies placed into the pot

Cooked veggies before the broth and tomatoes/beans

After everything has been placed into the pot – that’s the frozen spinach balls you see on top

The finished product

Tummy 3542 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

02-06-12, 10:30 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tummy Click to send private message to Tummy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan Soup and French-Canadian Tourtière"
Pepe has frozen spinach balls.

Honestly, I can't wait to make this. I'm all about soups when it's coldchilly outside.

agman 11166 desperate attention whore postings

02-09-12, 06:11 PM (EST)
Click to EMail agman Click to send private message to agman Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan Soup and French-Canadian Tourtière"
A man's balls should be left out of the kitchen Tummy Too many knives around for comfort.

Karchita 4483 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

02-06-12, 05:31 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan Soup and French-Canadian Tourtière"
LAST EDITED ON 02-06-12 AT 06:07 PM (EST)

This is almost identical to the minestrone soup that I make often. It’s a delicious soup and I highly recommend it. I do a few things a bit differently, so I’ll just to toss some ideas for variations out for people:

• A little ham or bacon adds a very good smoky note in the background
• I use about a ½ cup of chopped fresh basil, so maybe 10 times (!) the amount Pepe suggests. I also add about ¼ cup of chopped fresh Italian parsley.
• I use fresh rosemary instead of oregano. I have a huge bush of it in the garden and it is really good in this recipe.
• Similarly, I use fresh kale from my garden in place of the spinach. The flavor is fantastic in this soup. I usually add some chopped cabbage as well.
• Use orzo instead of rice.
• I use two 14 oz. cans of pinto beans, drained, and mash half of them, which makes the soup base more substantial.
• Use plain water instead of chicken stock because with the mashed beans and bacon or ham, it doesn’t seem to need the richness from the stock. Sometimes I use part stock. In total, I use about 8-10 cups of liquid, so quite a bit more than Pepe’s 3 cups.

ETA: Ok, now that I posted this list, it looks like a lot of differences, but it really isn't. The most important parts of the two versions are the same, and IMO, those are the sauteing in the first step, which adds flavor, and the inclusion of the beans and some sort of greens.

February siggie from SSSnidget!

02-06-12, 11:15 PM (EST)
12. "RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan Soup and French-Canadian Tourtière"
These are all great ideas for substitutions - yeah, most of the important stuff are there, and I think you may be using a lot more liquid because you've got quite a bit more spices and double the beans, and I'd bet you use more amounts of kale than I do with the frozen spinach as well.

When I let the soup cook for over a hour and then sit around for a bit, the rice gets really plump and the soup takes on the consistency of a thick chili -- so it's never a bad idea to add extra broth or liquid, or even add some wine like Fro suggested on top of the liquids already in there.

It wouldn't be an OTCC without substitution ideas!

Karchita 4483 desperate attention whore postings

02-07-12, 03:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Karchita Click to send private message to Karchita Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan Soup and French-Canadian Tourtière"
Truth be told, with dishes I make frequently, I look at my recipes mainly so I remember all the ingredients and don't pay that much attention to quantities.

Also a splash of balsamic vinegar is very good in this.

February siggie from SSSnidget!

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

02-27-12, 03:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
30. "RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan Soup and French-Canadian Tourtière"
I have been craving this soup all day, and I plan to make it one night this week. I am going to use the orzo as you suggest. I'm also going to add some chicken to it because I like meat in my soups, and I have two split breasts that I got one sale at the store. I plan to cook them in the crockpot all day one day and then add them to the soup.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

02-27-12, 05:38 PM (EST)
31. "RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan Soup and French-Canadian Tourtière"
Chicken in this soup would actually work quite well and even better in a crockpot. The recipe I had works well for a quick cooking as most people might not have hours to cook something ... but there's no reason why this soup can't work in a crockpot. Just keep an eye on the thickness as the longer you go, the more the rice/orzo/whatever soaks it in.

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings

02-06-12, 09:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan Soup and French-Canadian Tourtière"
This soup looks really delicious. I'll definitely be making this.

I come from a family of soup people, so soup-as-a-main-course is perfectly acceptable to me. Mr. Fro, on the other hand, comes from a long line of people who really don't know how to make good soup. So, it's a bit of a gamble for me to attempt to pull off soup-as-entree unless the soup is really flavorful and loaded with good stuff. This looks like an excellent candidate!

I will probably use kale instead of spinach (as Karchita mentioned) because I love the hearty texture of kale in soups (and I've been throwing kale into everything lately, since it's been abundant in my weekly veggie boxes.)

I'll probably toss in a cup of white wine, too.

I've been making my own homemade chicken stock lately and freezing it in 1-cup portions. No added salt (other than whatever is leftover on the chicken carcass.) It is super easy (I do it in the crockpot) very rich and flavorful, and free (since I make it entirely from scraps.) It's liquid gold.

qwertypie 9776 desperate attention whore postings

02-14-12, 10:13 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
21. "RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan Soup and French-Canadian Tourtière"
Making the soup now so when Mr. Qwerty gets home, it'll be piping hot.

I'm making a side of focaccia bread and am debating whether to throw some shrimp in.

02-15-12, 02:54 AM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
22. "the Verdict is in....."
Absolutely wonderful. Thanks Pepe!
Mr. Qwerty had two big bowls when he got home. I had a smallish one -- I have to eat around the beans, but it was very, very good!!

03-03-12, 07:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
33. "RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan Soup and French-Canadian Tourtière"
The Hearty Tuscan Soup is on my stove right now. It is delicious upon preliminary tasting, and I can't wait to eat dinner!

We are having BLTs tonight, and it's cold and slightly snowy here today, so I thought that soup would be a perfect accompaniment to the sandwiches.

First of all, this soup is great because I always have all of these ingredients on hand. I have a feeling this one is going to become a regular.

Of course, I changed a few things. My kids eat raw carrots by the pound all week, so I decided to conserve my carrots and instead I used a large parsnip and I also chopped up a small sweet potato. I used a half a cup of wine to deglaze the pan before adding the rice. I used red rice, mostly because I had just under a cup of it sitting around and this was a great opportunity to use it. I used homemade chicken stock.

Rather than spinach (or kale) I added a bag of chopped carrot greens that I'd stashed in the freezer last fall.

Right before I serve it I think I'm going to toss in a container of peas that were leftover from dinner early this week. This soup is an excellent "cleaning out the crisper drawer" opportunity.

Thanks, Pepe!

03-03-12, 09:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
34. "RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan Soup and French-Canadian Tourtière"
And here I thought I had Frodied it by adding chicken.

Guess you will be eating it in your new bowls!

03-04-12, 11:24 AM (EST)
35. "RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan Soup and French-Canadian Tourtière"
I love your idea of putting chicken in this soup. I might do that next time.

The new bowls aren't here yet, so this was in the old chipped bowls. Confession: back when I was taking OTCC photos I tried hard to find plates that didn't have chips. There have been no pictures recently because now all of the plates have chips. I've been too embarrassed to show off my chippy plates.

03-04-12, 11:51 AM (EST)
36. "RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan Soup and French-Canadian Tourtière"
There's the art of creative decorating... stick a wedge of garlic bread over the chip, or cover it up with a strategically-placed stalk of green bean, asparagus, carrot, or even bean sprouts, anything to make the dish appear more frou-frou while also covering up the chip.

02-05-12, 11:50 PM (EST)
2. "French-Canadian Tourtière"
This is a recipe that my family uses. Feel free to mix and match different ingredients here – the recipes in Quebec are quite varied, but you could use different fillings, such as veal in place of beef or using pork only, etc. Some recipes call for potatoes to be added to add a little heft – if you want to go that route, add 1 or 2 medium potatoes, peeled and grated, at the same time as the pork/beef/onion, etc.

Ingredients:

1 pound lean ground pork
1/2 pound lean ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1/4 teaspoon ground sage
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 to 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
Pastry for double crust pie (see below)

Directions:

1. Prepare pastry (see post #3).

2. Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C)

3. In a saucepan, combine pork, beef, onion, garlic, water, salt, thyme, sage, black pepper and cloves.

4. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture boils. Reduce heat to low and simmer until meat is fully cooked, about another five minutes.

5. While simmering, add 1/4 cup bread crumbs to absorb all the moisture – this helps hold the tourtière together. If after the five minutes of simmering is done and there’s still some moisture, add a little more bread crumbs where needed.

6. Spoon the meat mixture into the bottom pie crust. Pack it down a little (but do not crush it together). Place the top crust on top of pie and pinch edges to seal. Cut slits in the top crust so steam can escape. Cover edges of pie with strips of aluminum foil (important).

7. Bake in pre-heated oven for 20 minutes, remove foil and return to oven. Bake for an extra 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

8. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Serve!

My family tends to serve it with deep-browned baked beans and a spring salad mix with raspberry vinaigrette and walnuts. Some people like to serve the tourtière with a variety of compotes or condiments – I’ve seen pear tomato compote, fruit relish/compote, ketchup, rhubarb, cranberry, etc., but for my family NOTHING beats good ol’ fashioned maple syrup warmed up in the microwave and then poured directly on the tourtière – which is what you will see in the final picture below.

Pictures :

The ingredients

After the top crust has been placed on top of the filling … forgot to take a pic of the filling being cooked!

Freshly out of the oven

The finished product, along with baked beans, spring mix salad and a nice glass of merlot

02-06-12, 00:09 AM (EST)
4. "RE: French-Canadian Tourtière"
You have made Mr. Qwerty a very, very happy man.

02-06-12, 10:34 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Tummy Click to send private message to Tummy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: French-Canadian Tourtière"
*drool

Question - is there a difference between baked beans and deep-browned baked beans?

02-06-12, 11:01 AM (EST)
8. "RE: French-Canadian Tourtière"
Not that much, really... the original baked beans are more home-cooked style, while the deep-browned is a little more full-bodied and a little more brown. I just like the deep-browned ones better for my taste buds.

02-06-12, 09:29 PM (EST)
11. "RE: French-Canadian Tourtière"
This looks like classic comfort food. I love classic comfort food. I have to admit, this one is a bit outside my zone (meat pie with syrup - I'm trying to imagine. . . )

02-06-12, 11:24 PM (EST)
13. "RE: French-Canadian Tourtière"
Heh... I can see how maple syrup wouldn't be for everyone, particularly in the U.S. where salsa and ketchup rules the day in many parts. Salsa would actually be a decent replacement for the maple syrup if it's got that right kick in it, and there are always fruit or tomato compotes that could be used instead. Whatever tickles your fancy is good!

Maple syrup is popular in much of Québec - if you know that sugar pie is one of the most popular desserts in the province, then you'll certainly understand why maple syrup works with tourtière! The pure kind that you might find in the Amish areas is the most flavourful type that would go with tourtière.

02-06-12, 11:50 PM (EST)
14. "RE: French-Canadian Tourtière"
I like maple syrup on breakfast sausage, so this isn't really all that different. In fact, swirling the sausages in the syrup is my favorite part of a pancakes-and-sausage breakfast!

The farm where I bought a lot of my produce over the summer has maple trees and they tap and boil and bottle their own syrup. It's delicious. I used it as part of the dressing for the kale and apple salad that I made to accompany Christmas Eve dinner.

Breezy 18380 desperate attention whore postings

02-07-12, 10:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Breezy Click to send private message to Breezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
15. "RE: French-Canadian Tourtière"
Add some taters and rhutabega and that's a pasty.

Starshine 5033 desperate attention whore postings

02-15-12, 06:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: French-Canadian Tourtière"
If you add a small piece of Stilton to the pasty mix it adds a wonderful flavour (which you won't recognise as Stilton)

Oh and if you put a dab of clotted cream instead of the butter on top of the mix before you crimp that also adds a certain je ne sais quoi

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

02-07-12, 02:22 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: French-Canadian Tourtière"
I'm looking for the cheese.
Did you forget the cheese?

02-09-12, 03:19 PM (EST)
19. "RE: French-Canadian Tourtière"
Not at all - poutine is the one that has cheese in it.

IceCat 17415 desperate attention whore postings

02-15-12, 11:27 AM (EST)
Click to EMail IceCat Click to send private message to IceCat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
26. "Saudi-Canadian Tourtière"

Our family always eats tourtière for breakfast on Christmas morning following a tradition that dates back to a Christmas about 40 years ago when Mum had one or two many red wines on Christmas Eve and couldn't face the thought of cooking up a 'full english' breakfast for six hungry faces the next day.

I clearly remember that Christmas and waking up to the smell of cooking spicy meat pie - a smell that instantly puts me in the same frame of mind as a ten-year old on Christmas morning. Despite being trapped in the desert and cut off from any readily available supply of pork I resolved to make a reasonable facsimile of a tourtière.

I did all my baking in one shot staying up all night on Christmas Eve baking butter tarts, Nanaimo bars, ginger snaps and the last thing out of the oven just as the sun was rising was my 'fauxtière'.

I got the spices right because the smell was absolutely perfect and the store bought crust turned out gorgeous because of a liberally applied cream and egg yolk glaze applied in the last 10 minutes of cooking. The only thing I was worried about was the taste as I had gone with an equal parts mixture of ground veal, chicken and lamb with some very finely chopped red onion and brown mushrooms for flavour as well a couple of heaping tablespoons of mashed potato as a binder.

I cut myself a huge slice, parked it on a plate along side a big dollop of ketchup and gave it a taste. It was easily better than Mum's best efforts which were always a little dry for my taste and overly seasoned with cloves. That opinion was somewhat biased and also the product of tastebuds that had been awake for about 26 hours straight, so I needed a second opinion and convinced my Australian house guests to try meat pie for breakfast. It didn't take much convincing as Aussies are known for their love of a 'noice meat poi wid tommat-oh sauce'.

I was advised, in no uncertain terms, that their was a multi-million dollar fortune waiting for me down-undah if I simply emigrated to Oz and started cooking meat pie for a living!

Oh... and the other baked goods were a hit as well!

02-15-12, 02:19 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Saudi-Canadian Tourtière"
Love these pics and the story behind your meat pie. Btw - I make a lovely houseguest.

02-15-12, 02:56 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Saudi-Canadian Tourtière"

>Btw - I make a lovely houseguest.

Is there an OTCC recipe for that I might have missed somewhere along the way? What spices do you add for that? Could you suggest a good wine pairing for that?

02-05-12, 11:52 PM (EST)
3. "Pie Crust pastry"
I had the pastry all dolled up into a ball and everything, but it turned out to be a disaster after hopping around the house helping Pene and dropping off DD at work and everything, neglected to completely mix it up and put it into the fridge to cool so it became all mushy and sticky because there was too much of a time gap from start to finish. So, I abandoned it and pulled the ready-made pie crusts from the freezer for this recipe as I didn’t have time to re-do everything all over again.

You can go the frozen pie crusts route from the grocery store (look for 9-inch pie crusts that comes two to a pack) – the taste is still very good – or follow the recipe below to make your own pie crusts, which you would need to do ahead of time before the tourtière. Just make sure you’ve got some uninterrupted time in the kitchen, which I didn’t make sure to do this time around!

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup shortening
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup ice cold water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed

Directions:

1. Put the mixing bowl, fork and pastry blender/cutter in the freezer for 15-20 minutes. Everything needs to be cold!

2. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in mixing bowl. Use pastry blender/cutter to cut in shortening until pieces are the size of small peas.

3. Stir together well-beaten egg, cold water, lemon juice and dried thyme in a separate bowl.

4. Sprinkle the egg mixture over the flour mixture, a little bit at a time. Gently toss with a fork.

5. Form into two balls and store in fridge until you start cooking the tourtière. (1 hour+ is perfect)

6. Dust roller with flour. On lightly-floured surface, roll out one pastry ball to a circle about 12 inches in diameter, and then place it in 9-inch pie plate.

7. Fill pastry shell with meat mixture.

8. Roll out the second pastry ball and place it on top of filling. Seal edges. Cut slits in top crust.

9. Brush with egg yolk wash (egg yolk + 2 tsp water) to get a nicer golden sheen on the crust.

02-06-12, 00:10 AM (EST)
5. "RE: Pie Crust pastry"
Sammo Whammo Blammo is at the respite home next weekend so I will definitely have uninterrupted time to attempt this.

Starshine 5033 desperate attention whore postings

02-15-12, 06:08 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
23. "RE: Pie Crust pastry"
Shortening,shortening, shortening?

<Checks Dictionary>

Oh! Lard!

Not really a baker here

02-15-12, 11:06 AM (EST)
25. "RE: Pie Crust pastry"
Unless you ae talking vegetable shortening

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

02-07-12, 02:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "French-Canadian Torture"
That's how I read the name of the second dish. The recipe does sound and look good though. I think I'd want to add the potatoes as you suggested.

02-27-12, 10:23 AM (EST)
29. "RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan Soup and French-Canadian Tourtière"
I made the Tuscan Soup - delish! I keep forgetting to buy ground pork when I go grocery shopping so I'm writing it down and will fix the Tourtière this weekend. Saving some soup to eat with it.

03-03-12, 05:27 PM (EST)
32. "RE: OTCC – Feb 2012 – Hearty Tuscan Soup and French-Canadian Tourtière"
Soup is simmering now. There was no can of mixed beans, so I did a can of Great White, a can of Kidney, and a can of Green/Wax. I also added 2 breasts of shredded chicken that cooked in the crock pot all day. I took pictures, will try to upload.

It is most certainly hearty.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •