The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Nokomis' name"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Big Brother Live Feed Updates And Spoilers (Protected)
Original message

mamarizzo 86 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

08-03-04, 11:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mamarizzo Click to send private message to mamarizzo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Nokomis' name"
When I heard her say her name I thought it was Nokomis, the mother of Hiawatha (see poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow). Of course that's the literary librarian in me...

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Nokomis' name oops mamarizzo 08-03-04 1
   RE: Nokomis' name oops Lisapooh 08-04-04 2
       RE: Nokomis' name oops Drive My Car 08-04-04 4
   RE: Nokomis' name oops vixie 08-04-04 3
       RE: Nokomis' name oops nailbone 08-04-04 5
           RE: Nokomis' name oops vixie 08-04-04 8
               RE: Nokomis' name oops nailbone 08-04-04 12
                   RE: Nokomis' name oops vixie 08-04-04 13
                       RE: Nokomis' name oops vixie 08-04-04 14
                       RE: Nokomis' name oops nailbone 08-04-04 15
                           RE: Nokomis' name oops vixie 08-05-04 16
 RE: Nokomis' name Swami 08-04-04 6
   RE: Nokomis' name Cookiehahnster 08-04-04 7
       RE: Nokomis' name vixie 08-04-04 9
           RE: Nokomis' name Glass 08-04-04 10
               RE: Nokomis' name Cookiehahnster 08-04-04 11
 RE: Nokomis' name theking0075 08-05-04 17
   RE: Nokomis' name vixie 08-05-04 18
 RE: Nokomis' name Swami 08-05-04 19

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

mamarizzo 86 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Hollywood Squares Square"

08-03-04, 11:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mamarizzo Click to send private message to mamarizzo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Nokomis' name oops"
Actually, she was Hiawatha's grandmother...

By the shores of Gitche Gumee,
By the shining Big-Sea-Water,
Stood the wigwam of Nokomis,
Daughter of the Moon, Nokomis.
Dark behind it rose the forest,
Rose the black and gloomy pine-trees,
Rose the firs with cones upon them;
Bright before it beat the water,
Beat the clear and sunny water,
Beat the shining Big-Sea-Water.

There the wrinkled old Nokomis
Nursed the little Hiawatha,
Rocked him in his linden cradle,
Bedded soft in moss and rushes,
Safely bound with reindeer sinews;
Stilled his fretful wail by saying,
"Hush! the Naked Bear will hear thee!"
Lulled him into slumber, singing,
"Ewa-yea! my little owlet!
Who is this, that lights the wigwam?
With his great eyes lights the wigwam?
Ewa-yea! my little owlet!"

Lisapooh 12664 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

08-04-04, 00:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Lisapooh Click to send private message to Lisapooh Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Nokomis' name oops"
I think it is after the poem whether she realizes it or not. She did mention Nokomis being the daughter of the moon on her first night (at least I think)

Now see, I knew the line "Daughter of the Moon, Nokomis" from one of the many I Love Lucy episode where Lucy and Ricky dressed up and put on a show. Lucy recited the poem dressed as a squaw. I think Fred drank the firewater, but I could be projecting. It was quite touching.

I'm hoping that Jase will be singing Cuban Pete at some point in the future.

Drive My Car 20045 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-04, 10:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Drive%20My%20Car Click to send private message to Drive%20My%20Car Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Nokomis' name oops"
Ah thank you Pooh, I needed coffee in my sinuses.

I Love Lucy!

vixie 727 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Reality Show Commentator"

08-04-04, 01:22 AM (EST)
Click to EMail vixie Click to send private message to vixie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Nokomis' name oops"
Yep, yep, yep. I knew that name was familiar. I had to recite that in front of the whole school when I was in 3rd or 4th grade (waaaaay back in the late 50's), but the 60's removed alot of those things from me. I'm still a wealth of useless information (unless I'm playing trivia games), however, and in truth I shouldn't have any brain cells left.

nailbone 27263 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-04, 10:14 AM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Nokomis' name oops"
Greetings, Vixie, from he who is known as The Master of All Knowledge Inconsequential.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

The order of Banana delivery should be organized by location to save on shipping costs. o-

08-04-04, 11:06 AM (EST)
Click to EMail vixie Click to send private message to vixie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Nokomis' name oops"
I bow to you, oh mighty one!

08-04-04, 03:35 PM (EST)
Click to EMail nailbone Click to send private message to nailbone Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: Nokomis' name oops"
Nah, come over here next to me, and we can RULE THE WORLD!!!! Muuuaaahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!

Handcrafted by RollDdice

The order of Banana delivery should be organized by location to save on shipping costs. o-

08-04-04, 04:29 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Nokomis' name oops"
slither, slither...here I come oh Bon-ed one

08-04-04, 04:30 PM (EST)
14. "RE: Nokomis' name oops"
or should I say, MAKI

08-04-04, 05:13 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Nokomis' name oops"
Mmmmm...I like slithering.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

08-05-04, 01:56 AM (EST)
16. "RE: Nokomis' name oops"
*blush*

Swami 5885 desperate attention whore postings

08-04-04, 10:40 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Nokomis' name"
What drives me nuts is why does she spell her name 'Nakomis'? Or is it CBS that's ignorant? Every time they show her name on screen they spell it with an 'a'. Drives me freakin' nuts. If you are going to take an inspirational literary name for your own, at least spell it right!

"It's not the voting that's democracy; it's the counting." --Tom Stoppard, British playright.

Cookiehahnster 222 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

08-04-04, 11:00 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Cookiehahnster Click to send private message to Cookiehahnster Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Nokomis' name"
And what drives me nuts is when the other HG call her Nic for short. As if her name is Nicole or something.

08-04-04, 11:11 AM (EST)
9. "RE: Nokomis' name"
Yep, me, too. I actually thought for a bit that perhaps it was a Wiccan name. No offense to the wiccans, btw, just what I thought might be the origin of the name she had taken for herself. Plus, might have been interesting were it so. (I myself am a practicing Christian, but find some other practices interesting, just not for me)

Glass 381 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

08-04-04, 01:04 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Glass Click to send private message to Glass Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Nokomis' name"
Heh, on the first night Diane said "Nokomis" sounded Indian and I thought she was a total freaking dumb*ss for it. It hadn't even occurred to me that she could mean "Native American" because up in Canada our native culture and history is pretty different.

-Glass.

Cookiehahnster 222 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

08-04-04, 01:28 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Cookiehahnster Click to send private message to Cookiehahnster Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Nokomis' name"
Maybe she meant a name from the country of India, not Native American.

theking0075 331 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Cooking Show Host"

08-05-04, 12:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail theking0075 Click to send private message to theking0075 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: Nokomis' name"
Nakomis Beach Florida is just a little south of Tampa.

"Evil" Dr. Will: Reality Show Legend!

08-05-04, 12:59 PM (EST)
18. "RE: Nokomis' name"
Again American Indian, but is that the right spelling? For the beach, I mean, king?

Swami 5885 desperate attention whore postings

08-05-04, 02:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Swami Click to send private message to Swami Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Nokomis' name"
I revise my opinion on the spelling used by Nakomis. The name turns up in many places spelled that way--Nakomis Ave, Nakomis Bay, Nakomis Beach (thanks, King) etc. Frank Lloyd Wright created statues of Nakoma and Nakomis (which cost a bundle to buy even in replica).

It seems that Nokomis and Nakomis are alternate spellings of the same thing--no big deal since the Native Americans didn't spell anything in Roman script anyway, so how we spell it seems inconsequential. I was just taking Longfellow as my standard because, well, he's Longfellow!

Also? The alternate spelling may have some special significance in Goth culture. That spelling turns up on Goth links. I suppose I could try to chase it down more, but I am really not that interested in insider Goth stuff. I'm not being judgemental here--just disinterested in the fine details of Goth.

"It's not the voting that's democracy; it's the counting." --Tom Stoppard, British playright.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •