The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Smoke Detectors"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

frankz 1214 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

02-11-11, 04:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frankz Click to send private message to frankz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Smoke Detectors"
LAST EDITED ON 02-11-11 AT 06:01 PM (EST)

A cohort had a recent experience you might find useful.

I didn’t write this, credits go to Jen S.

This post is to serve as a public service announcement to my family and friends. Did you know that residential smoke detectors have a life expectancy of only 7 years? And if your smoke detector also offers CO detection, then the lifespan reduces to only 5 years? Because I didn't until last night.

Last night while making dinner, I had a kitchen full of smoke after putting a cold sauce into a too-hot skillet on the stovetop. The smoke was thick, I had to crack a window. And once I got some fresh air, my mind cleared enough to realize that neither of the TWO smoke detectors on the first floor of our house sounded.

Now, I am really good about taking care of my smoke detectors. I change the batteries when the clocks go forward and back. I dust them to make sure their vents are clear. I press the test button once a month to make sure they are working. (OK, I confess, I'm pyrophobic).

All systems were good to go. Until they weren't. When they did not trigger last night with all the smoke, I then got a match out and held fire right up to the detectors. The one in the living room finally triggered but the one in Isabelle's room never did.

I called the 800 number on the device and they informed me about the 5 and 7 year lifespans. Our detectors double as CO detectors so ours were in the 5-year category. Who knew???

Now the really scary thing is -- I just purchased that detector in 2007 when I was pregnant with Isabelle. We wanted Isabelle's room to have it's own detector since it's right off of the kitchen. But, when I called the 800 number they asked me for the manufacture date. (When you unscrew your detectors from the ceiling/wall, there is a teeny tiny little sticker on the back of the device that has a date - that is your manufacture date). Our detector had a date of 1999!!! I just bought it in 2007, which means I purchased a smoke detector that was already past its life expectancy when I brought it home. What???

So please, after you read this, go check all of your smoke detectors and/or carbon monoxide detectors. Unscrew them from the wall, check the date on the back and if they are older than 5 -- go buy new ones. I'm replacing all three of ours today, and I'll be checking the dates before I leave the store.

You learn something new every day. I'm glad I learned this lesson the easy way.

Dyslexics of the world untie!

eta - because "SOME PEOPLE" don't read the directions

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Smoke Detectors qwertypie 02-11-11 1
 RE: Smoke Detectors samboohoo 02-11-11 2
   RE: Smoke Detectors frankz 02-11-11 3
       RE: Smoke Detectors samboohoo 02-11-11 4
           RE: Smoke Detectors frankz 02-11-11 6
   RE: Smoke Detectors Silvergirl1 02-11-11 5
       RE: Smoke Detectors frankz 02-11-11 7
           RE: Smoke Detectors ARnutz 02-11-11 8
               RE: Smoke Detectors frankz 02-11-11 9
                   RE: Smoke Detectors ARnutz 02-11-11 10
                       RE: Smoke Detectors frankz 02-11-11 11
                           RE: Smoke Detectors ARnutz 02-11-11 12

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

qwertypie 9776 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

02-11-11, 04:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Smoke Detectors"
*shudder*
I am glad you found out the easy way as well.

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

02-11-11, 05:01 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Smoke Detectors"
Cod help me. I think I just learned that you are a peach.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

02-11-11, 05:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frankz Click to send private message to frankz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Smoke Detectors"
No, no. I said I didn't write it. I cut and pasted it directly from a friend's email. No peach here.

Wheelie by RollDdice
Whew, that was close

samboohoo 17173 desperate attention whore postings

02-11-11, 05:48 PM (EST)
Click to EMail samboohoo Click to send private message to samboohoo Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Smoke Detectors"
I guess I should learn to read everything. Tummy will tell you, old age is really getting me.

Samboobree, brought to life by Arkie

02-11-11, 05:57 PM (EST)
6. "RE: Smoke Detectors"
But I AM Peachy.

And probably older than you, which is a good excuse for my behavior.

Silvergirl1 9342 desperate attention whore postings

02-11-11, 05:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Silvergirl1 Click to send private message to Silvergirl1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Smoke Detectors"

I had a little start there, too, but then realized he was sharing someone else's story. Unless he really did get pregnant...

Mermaid in the Drink, Silvergirl original 2011
"It wasn't directed at any single individual. It was meant as an all-encompassing rudeness." - Estee, 01-31-11

02-11-11, 05:59 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Smoke Detectors"
Geez, doesn’t anyone read the instructions anymore? You people.

ARnutz 13937 desperate attention whore postings

02-11-11, 06:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Smoke Detectors"
LAST EDITED ON 02-11-11 AT 06:14 PM (EST)

LAST EDITED ON 02-11-11 AT 06:13 PM (EST)

I saw the note immediately.

Just goes to show, by the 2nd line of your post, they already weren't paying attention!
ETA: ....and I read it before it was bolded!
ETAA: Actually, they weren't paying attention to even the 2nd word! It clearly says "A cohort..."

02-11-11, 06:23 PM (EST)
9. "RE: Smoke Detectors"
You win today's FREE golden star for being teacher's pet

Just send me $25 (for S&H, of course) - cash only

02-11-11, 06:25 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Smoke Detectors"
LOL! Thanks.

If I act in the next 10 minutes, do you double the offer?

02-11-11, 06:26 PM (EST)
11. "RE: Smoke Detectors"
Sure, it's free too. All you have to do is pay additional S&H. A small price to pay

02-11-11, 06:28 PM (EST)
12. "RE: Smoke Detectors"
Woo hoo! Sounds like a deal I can't pass up!

*runs to get purse and a stamp*

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •