The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Tummy 3542 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

01-19-11, 03:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tummy Click to send private message to Tummy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
What books or series have you started and you're wondering why you're still reading?

I'm going to irritate grit and Jbug with this one but for me it's the Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

I'd had sooo many people tell me it's the best he's ever written and I have to say that I am not impressed. I love early Kind and liked Desperation and the Regulators pretty well and enjoyed Dumas Key once I got into it. But the DT series just doesn't hold my interest. I'm on Book Four, well, a few pages in, I've laid it down and just can't will myself to pick it up again.

Also, House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski. I pick it up when I have nothing else to read but I can't get into it.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 A companion response. Max Headroom 01-19-11 1
 RE: Wish you'd never started - Comp... frankz 01-19-11 2
 RE: Wish you'd never started - Comp... arkiegrl 01-19-11 3
   RE: Wish you'd never started - Comp... frankz 01-19-11 4
       RE: Wish you'd never started - Comp... arkiegrl 01-19-11 5
           RE: Wish you'd never started - Comp... frankz 01-19-11 17
               RE: Wish you'd never started - Comp... Estee 01-19-11 20
               RE: Wish you'd never started - Comp... arkiegrl 01-19-11 22
       Yes! foonermints 01-19-11 9
           RE: Yes! frankz 01-19-11 21
   RE: Wish you'd never started - Comp... Tummy 01-19-11 6
       RE: Wish you'd never started - Comp... arkiegrl 01-19-11 23
   RE: Wish you'd never started - Comp... Estee 01-19-11 8
       RE: Wish you'd never started - Comp... arkiegrl 01-19-11 15
       Waiting.. foonermints 01-19-11 16
       RE: Wish you'd never started - Comp... Tummy 01-19-11 26
           RE: Wish you'd never started - Comp... Estee 01-19-11 28
 RE: Wish you'd never started - Comp... Estee 01-19-11 7
   RE: Wish you'd never started - Comp... mrc 01-19-11 10
       RE: Wish you'd never started - Comp... Estee 01-19-11 13
           Yep moonbaby 01-19-11 18
   RE: Wish you'd never started - Comp... Tummy 01-19-11 27
 RE: Wish you'd never started - Comp... jbug 01-19-11 11
 My list mrc 01-19-11 12
   RE: My list Estee 01-19-11 14
 RE: Wish you'd never started - Comp... Starshine 01-19-11 19
   See? foonermints 01-19-11 25
 RE: Wish you'd never started - Comp... Molaholic 01-19-11 24
   RE: Wish you'd never started - Comp... foonermints 01-19-11 29

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-19-11, 04:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "A companion response."
Started but couldn't finish: "Audacity of Hope" by Barack Obama.

I thought "Dreams from My Father" was an interesting read, but no matter how hard I tried, or how often I picked it up, I couldn't finish "Audacity of Hope".

frankz 1214 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Politically Incorrect Guest"

01-19-11, 04:03 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frankz Click to send private message to frankz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
I have to agree with you about the Dark Tower series. I’ve tried, at least a half a dozen times, to get through Book 1 and just couldn’t. I think I’ve read every other book Stephen King has written but I just couldn’t get into that one. Well I take that back, I haven’t been able to get through Black House either, having made several attempts. I remember it took me several tries to get into The Talisman but once I got about 100 pages in I was hooked. Not so with Black House. The 2nd person POV turns me off.

Should I try again?

arkiegrl 9421 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-11, 04:14 PM (EST)
Click to EMail arkiegrl Click to send private message to arkiegrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
The Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton. It's like crack. It started out so good, but it's atrocious now. Yet, I keep reading. At least I didn't waste my money on the latest - I just checked it out from the public library. That one may have finally ended it for me, and it all comes down to two phrases - "creamy mounds of goodness" and "yummy mounds of goodness". Seriously! Who the h*ll would ever refer to their own oobies like that??

01-19-11, 04:20 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frankz Click to send private message to frankz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
Uh, I sometimes do.

D'oh

01-19-11, 04:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail arkiegrl Click to send private message to arkiegrl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
*snort*
Does that mean you now have implants? Because I don't remember you having "yummy mounds of goodness" when I met you.

01-19-11, 05:18 PM (EST)
17. "RE: Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
They grow on you.

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-11, 05:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
20. "RE: Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
You kind of had to figure that somewhere in the world, there was a gynecomastia possessor who was enjoying it.

01-19-11, 05:39 PM (EST)
22. "RE: Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
You're such a goofball.

foonermints 14531 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-11, 04:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "Yes!"
Still channelling Marilyn?

Oh! For Tummy: W.E.B. Griffin "The Outlaws" - gave it back to the library halfway through. Bleh.

01-19-11, 05:27 PM (EST)
21. "RE: Yes!"
I read Griffin’s Marine Corps series many years ago and remember liking it. I just read The Investigators from the Badge of Honor series and it was not good. The story was somewhat entertaining but the writing was horrible. He introduced every character numerous times, using their full names, title, what they ate for breakfast, etc, over and over, sometimes even on consecutive pages. I only finished it because I didn’t have anything else to read. Mrs. Frank is reading it now in spite of my dismal review and she agrees, it’s really poorly written.

Wheelie by RollDdice
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you."

01-19-11, 04:37 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tummy Click to send private message to Tummy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
I agree with where the series went - I can't remember which was the book that made me call it quits. But I did enjoy the first of the series.

01-19-11, 05:40 PM (EST)
23. "RE: Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
Yeah, I miss the old Anita.

01-19-11, 04:44 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
An exert from a conversation I had with a friend who was trying the series.

"So what's it about?"

"A woman trying to have sex with every supernatural creature anyone ever dreamed up."

"The ghosts must have slowed her down."

"Not as much as you'd think."

"...oh. So what happens when she finishes the list?"

"I think she yells 'Bingo!' and starts searching for robots."

01-19-11, 05:13 PM (EST)
15. "RE: Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
A woman trying to have sex with every supernatural creature anyone ever dreamed up
Yes, that about sums it up.

So what happens when she finishes the list?
She sees how many she can sleep with at the same time. I think 6 in the bed is the highest number so far, but I could be wrong.

01-19-11, 05:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "Waiting.."

01-19-11, 06:33 PM (EST)
26. "RE: Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
But that's not how it started. There wasn't even any sex in the first 3 books. Just vamps, necromancers and an actual storyline.

01-19-11, 06:48 PM (EST)
28. "RE: Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
Warning: some non-PG13 term use ahead.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnitaBlake

Do they pretty much have it right?

01-19-11, 04:39 PM (EST)
7. "RE: Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
*sigh* One of the series I mentioned in the other thread: Wild Cards. Because it's done by an authors consortium, the quality level can be all over the place: when it's good, it's very good, and when it's bad, the book travels to distant corners of the apartment via instant airmail. Characters fade in and out (inevitable with a series that covers more than sixty years of history, but some of the fades remain strange), occasionally go completely out of focus depending on the writer, plus it's been about twenty books now and I'm still waiting on a few basic answers. Plus remember that title I mentioned with the 600-copy print run -- the one that may single-hnndedly force me to buy a Kindle? Guess which series it's in. I enjoy the highlights and great moments -- but as a whole, this thing has given me as much frustration as practically anything I've ever read.

Jonathan Kellerman is an author I now wish I'd never heard of. I still enjoy his main characters, but the settings he writes wear on you after a while. With the exception of the leads (to date, and don't count on it remaining so), everyone in his worlds is an active psychotic, a potential psychotic, a psychotic in training, or a plain old-fashioned jerk with the option to upgrade later. Solve the murders? Spend a week in that vision of Los Angeles, then take five minutes to puzzle out why the suicide rate is heading for 100%. You wouldn't want to live there and it isn't even an interesting place to visit any more.

Dean Koontz... gawds, never picking up that first Odd Thomas novel would have been a small favor. I've tried to look at his other works. I've even managed a page. Sometimes two. But his style only kicks into a forward gear with Odd, and he isn't telling me anything he hasn't been telling me for the last three novels. Advance or retreat, but mobile stasis doesn't work.

The Stephanie Plum novels hit that same point for me a while back. Characters who are incapable of learning, improving, or not making the same idiotic mistake for the fifteenth time lose something, and that something is my readership. I was willing to enjoy a screwup bounty hunter for a few stories because realistically, she wasn't going to have any skill when she got started and it would take a while before she learned the basics which would allow her to screw up on an ever-increasing scale. As is, she's arguably gone backwards. And don't get me started on her man problems. The woman is a walking endorsement for polygamy just in the name of shutting her up.

...I could go on like this for a while, so I'll stop for now.

I didn't realize the bruise was that sore.

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-11, 04:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
I like Koontz's Odd Thomas series, although the last book was mediocre. Odd Thomas is one of my favorite books.

01-19-11, 05:04 PM (EST)
13. "RE: Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
That's pretty much the problem. The first book was a borderline-incredible introduction to Odd and the strangeness of his world. So you start looking forward to the second book, where Odd will presumably start finding a few things out regarding all that strangeness. And it really doesn't happen, so you wait on the third book because maybe Odd just needed some time to find his forward gear. And the third book comes, and...

*resigh*

moonbaby 17120 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-11, 05:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail moonbaby Click to send private message to moonbaby Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
18. "Yep"
all you get is a new dead singer.

01-19-11, 06:47 PM (EST)
27. "RE: Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
Kellerman I read until his house got burned down and the koi pond was toast.

Koontz - I loved Watchers and Dark Rivers of the Heart but then everything started being cookie cutter.

Stephanie Plum - I agree. She never grew. I think I stopped at 6 or 7. But they are a quick and easy read so if I were still traveling a lot I would pick one up.

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-11, 05:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
*thunk*

There have been a few King' s that I haven't thought were up to his usual, but the Dark Tower? seriously?
will admit you really have to think on this to get into it'
give it another chance.
I've read the entire series 3 times

One of Shar's unique creations

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-11, 05:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "My list"
Harry Turtledove had one good book, Guns of the South. I slogged through his C.S.A. alt-reality series and wished I had stopped. I made it through one book of his Atlantis series and gave up. He's just not a very good writer, and I don't know why people think he is.

Robert Ludlum sucks. The guy who picked up the Bourne series sucks even more.

I don't get all the hype for Philip Roth.

01-19-11, 05:07 PM (EST)
14. "RE: My list"
I don't get all the hype for Philip Roth.

Would you like to register a Complaint?

Starshine 5033 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-11, 05:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
19. "RE: Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
Wheel of Time great first book, I liked the next few, but the nothing happens for at least nine books @ 900 pages each.

Ilona Andrews, Kim Harrison, Simon R Green and Jim Butcher, first few books were great, then the main character becomes the most important person on the planet

Tanith Lee and Orson Scott Card have written the only two books I have been unable to finish because I really was hating the reading experience.

Lovely cheese Mooney

Just another Sleeperbloke

Sorry folks

01-19-11, 06:00 PM (EST)
25. "See?"
Time does keep everything from happening at once.

Or, in the case of your book, anything at all.

Molaholic 9015 desperate attention whore postings

01-19-11, 05:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
24. "RE: Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
Kim Robinson's Red Mars, the first of the trilogy. Starts out as a decent "hard science fiction" tale of the establishment of the first human colony on Mars, then falls into page after page of clinical psycho-babble, as well as some confusing time jumps.

I'm going to give it another chapter, but if things don't perk up...

01-19-11, 07:16 PM (EST)
29. "RE: Wish you'd never started - Companion to Estee's "Whatcha readin'" thread"
Is that Red Mars - Blue Mars - Green Mars?

Throw that book as far away as you can. it get a LOT worse.

Then have a Mars Bar!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •