The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Off-site file back-up"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

CTgirl 8013 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

01-18-11, 05:30 PM (EST)
Click to EMail CTgirl Click to send private message to CTgirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Off-site file back-up"
Does anyone have any experience with or advice for off-site file back-up? How does it work? Is it worth the money? (I have no idea even how much a monthly charge would be.) Who do you use?

I am somewhat good about backing up my files but it's kind of a pain. My computer is over 4 years old and is starting to get temperamental. I also have 7-8 years of digital photographs on it (all except this winter's photographs are backed up). I'm just trying to avoid any colossal mishaps down the road.

Any info would be appreciated.

Snowfall by Tribe

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Off-site file back-up Estee 01-18-11 1
 RE: Off-site file back-up cahaya 01-18-11 2
   RE: Off-site file back-up ARnutz 01-18-11 3
 RE: Off-site file back-up Max Headroom 01-18-11 4
 RE: Off-site file back-up grit 01-19-11 5
 RE: Off-site file back-up aethelstan 01-19-11 6

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

01-18-11, 05:53 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Off-site file back-up"
I don't have that level of trust.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

01-18-11, 06:09 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Off-site file back-up"
'Flash drives' are continuing to get cheaper while accommodating a lot more space. I have a pair of these that I copy the whole of family pics, tax files, and what-not onto. They're easy to use and save you the whole headache of someone else doing it for you.

ARnutz 13937 desperate attention whore postings

01-18-11, 08:29 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ARnutz Click to send private message to ARnutz Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Off-site file back-up"
LAST EDITED ON 01-18-11 AT 08:31 PM (EST)

Yep. A flash drive works for me. Pay $10 or $20 once (depending on what size you need), then you have it forever. When it's full, buy another.

I would never pay a monthly fee for some random online storage facility to keep my files safe for me.

I often use mine to make up exams, handouts, syllabi, etc. at home, then bring them along to my office for printing.

Max Headroom 10069 desperate attention whore postings

01-18-11, 11:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Max%20Headroom Click to send private message to Max%20Headroom Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Off-site file back-up"
DW has a 500GB external backup drive which she uses I use to back up her pictures. It works well, wasn't very expensive, and is easy to use. The only risk is if we have a fire or other disaster, the external drive is in the same house as DW's laptop... which (I think) is why you refer to offsite storage.

Along those lines, I also have a few digital-photo CDs stored in a drawer in my office at work.

grit 4868 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Stuff Magazine Centerfold"

01-19-11, 09:16 AM (EST)
Click to EMail grit Click to send private message to grit Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Off-site file back-up"
I hate the idea of letting anyone else have access to my data.

We use a couple of 1TB external hard drives and have everything backed up on both. I also backup my flash drives with all my client stuff to one of the external drives.

However, I'm a big, stupid, retarded, moronic idiot when it came to my PDA. I had no current backup and everyone knows what happened to that.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

aethelstan 4435 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

01-19-11, 11:46 AM (EST)
Click to EMail aethelstan Click to send private message to aethelstan Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Off-site file back-up"
Given the amount of music and pictures I have on my office laptop and my home computer, this is something we had worried about for a long time. Backing up to CD or DVD always seemed dubious to me as I couldn't just put in the CD/DVD and look at the files.

I finally bought Western Digital external drive (I opted for the passport model which is smaller and doesn't require an external power supply - only the USB connection). It's probably 500 gig or so. Most of the time, it stays in my office and is a veritable off-site backup for my home computer and periodically I bring it home and do a new backup. I'm probably due for one now.

Anyway, I sleep a lot better knowing that a fire in my house won't destroy all of our memories (pictures!) and important files.

Like others above, I'm not keen on the concept of online backups.

Bounced by IceCat!

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •