The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Tribal Council vidcaps revisited"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

SurvivorBlows 15230 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

03-02-03, 05:36 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Tribal Council vidcaps revisited"
OK, these tribal council vidcaps from the opening have been bugging me so I decided to take another look at them.

If there was any doubt before, based on the torch feather colors, it seems clear that this is clearly a mixed tribal council of men and women

The below images clearly establish the men as having blue feathers on their torches and the women as having yellow:

The below two vidcaps show the bodies on the left as having clearly visible blue accents on their torches while the bodies on the right have a clear absence of blue accents.

Here are some additional vidcaps of the same scene (the rock outcropping in the foreground begins to block some things -- partiuclarly the chest of the man on the left)

By my count there are eight bodies pictures and I can only clearly count 3 blue torches. The women on the far right clearly seems to be Heidi, with the women to her right apparently Chirsty (check out the belt and pants)

Questions:

- Is this a Final 8?
- Are they entering and placing their torches or rising, grabbing their trches and exiting?
- Is this a delayed merge?
- Why is the man on the left topless?

From examining all the existing tribal footage two things are clear:

1) While there are two exits from the TC area, the one of the right side of the set is the "bootee exit" and leads to the path that the booted person takes, the other to the left of the set is where the tribe enters and exits. There's no evidence of anyone other than the bootee ever exiting stage right.

2) The enter/exit opening consists of maybe a dozens steps down to a ground landing area and then another much larger set of steps that lead down to a wooden dock and to the water. It's during this first group of steps that the below imfamous "other photo" is taken.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 No Buffs, No Backpacks Krautboy 03-02-03 1
   RE: No Buffs, No Backpacks SurvivorBlows 03-02-03 2
       RE: No Buffs, No Backpacks Krautboy 03-03-03 3
           RE: No Buffs, No Backpacks SurvivorBlows 03-03-03 4
               RE: No Buffs, No Backpacks Krautboy 03-03-03 5
               RE: No Buffs, No Backpacks Brownroach 03-03-03 7
 RE: Tribal Council vidcaps revisite... PepeLePew13 03-03-03 6
 Missing Backpacks ShowMeTheWinner 03-03-03 8
   RE: Missing Backpacks ShowMeTheWinner 03-03-03 9
 RE: Tribal Council vidcaps revisite... Loree 03-04-03 10
   RE: Tribal Council vidcaps revisite... lizziegirl 03-04-03 11
   RE: Tribal Council vidcaps revisite... SurvivorBlows 03-04-03 12
 creating surprise TC visit big idiot 03-04-03 13

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Krautboy 2750 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Howard Stern Show Guest"

03-02-03, 06:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "No Buffs, No Backpacks"
SB, I can't get excited about these vidcaps being from a real TC until we have a good explanation for why they aren't wearing their buffs or carrying their backpacks...

The only explanation that makes any sense, is that they are just stand-ins used to create these staged mood shots for the opening sequence without the risk of giving away any information about who goes to TC, by using actual footage...

Krautboy

03-02-03, 06:33 PM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivorBlows Click to send private message to SurvivorBlows Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: No Buffs, No Backpacks"
LAST EDITED ON 03-02-03 AT 06:35 PM (EST)

The "stand-in" theory actually makes THE LEAST amount of sense:

1) Burnett has never used council stand-ins before, only for challenges

2) If he wanted TC footage, why not just use the men or women's first TC footage -- why do you need stand-ins in the first place?

There are probably close to half a dozen explanations that are far more feasible than "stand-ins"

1) This is the merge ceremony -- bring your torch and sit down because we're getting new torches or new torch feathers to reflect your new tribe color.

2) This is a "fallen comrades"-style challenge that occurs at the TC location... bring your torches because, remember, well, who knows, but bring them anyways... maybe they are intended for protection on the long pitch dark journey to the TC site.

3) The woman on the far right clearly seems to have something on her back

4) The second man from the left has what could be a blue buff on his head. The same is possible for the third men from the left. And Heidi, Christy, and the women in the yellow jacket all have possible yellow buffs on their heads

03-03-03, 01:36 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Krautboy Click to send private message to Krautboy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: No Buffs, No Backpacks"
Alright, let's assume that they are not stand-ins.

The absence of buffs and backpacks indicates that it must be some event other than TC.

>1) This is the merge ceremony
>-- bring your torch and
>sit down because we're getting
>new torches or new torch
>feathers to reflect your new
>tribe color.

It's unlikely they would merge at eight, because that would mean that the first member of the jury was already selected without having any direct contact with the other tribe. So, if this is the merge ceremony, the 9th and 10th conteastants are out of the picture somewhere.

It's also doubtful that the merged tribe would leave the TC area without their new buffs...but in the picture of the group leaving the TC area and walking down the stairs, the men have no shirts and clearly no buffs.

>
>2) This is a "fallen comrades"-style
>challenge that occurs at the
>TC location... bring your torches
>because, remember, well, who knows,
>but bring them anyways... maybe
>they are intended for protection
>on the long pitch dark
>journey to the TC site.

Again, if this a challenge we would see the "topless" men wearing their buffs, yet they are not. Besides, they have not participated in any challenges or TC activities being shirtless...so unless their is some sort of water element to the challenge, it seems unlikely, besides the women are apparently not wearing their bathing suits to the challenge, so that's probably not the case.

>3) The woman on the far
>right clearly seems to have
>something on her back

We could be seeing a water bottle, but the backpacks are much large than that, and the shirtless men clearly are not carrying anything on their backs.

>4) The second man from the
>left has what could be
>a blue buff on his
>head. The same is
>possible for the third men
>from the left. And
>Heidi, Christy, and the women
>in the yellow jacket all
>have possible yellow buffs on
>their heads.

Possibly, but the men pictured leaving the TC Area, going down the stairs, are not wearing any buffs.

OK, I'll concede that "stand-ins" is a lazy answer for something which we really don't have a good explanation. They may be real, but there just seem to be too problems when we consider these pictures to from a TC, Merge or Challenge.

Krautboy

03-03-03, 02:02 AM (EST)
4. "RE: No Buffs, No Backpacks"
LAST EDITED ON 03-03-03 AT 02:06 AM (EST)

>It's unlikely they would merge at eight, because that would mean
>that the first member of the jury was already selected
>without having any direct contact with the other tribe. So,
>if this is the merge ceremony, the 9th and 10th
>conteastants are out of the picture somewhere.

Um Kraut, that's exactly what they did last season... they lived on the same beach but didn't merge. Why wouldn't living together starting at 10 but only formally merging at 8 make sense? ...remember, since the S4 cast didn't get to see the S3 swap before leaving for filming Burnett pulled the same basic trick in S4... I fully expect him to pull the same basic S5 "delayed merge" trick in S6.

>It's also doubtful that the merged tribe would leave the TC
>area without their new buffs...but in the picture of the
>group leaving the TC area and walking down the stairs,
>the men have no shirts and clearly no buffs.

You assume the image of them walking down the steps is from the same TC as the earlier TC images. I'm not so sure... maybe Jiffy says "your new buffs will be waiting for you back at camp."

>Again, if this a challenge we would see the "topless" men
>wearing their buffs, yet they are not. Besides, they have
>not participated in any challenges or TC activities being shirtless...so
>unless their is some sort of water element to the
>challenge, it seems unlikely, besides
>the women are apparently not wearing their bathing suits to
>the challenge, so that's probably not the case.

For what it's worth, the footage of the men leaving camp to head to TC at the end of Ep3 clearly shows at least one of them without shirts while paddling in the boat... and when they arrive at TC they have shirts. Whether the cause was a long boat ride (hell, it was daylight when they got into the boat but nighttime when they arrived at TC), crapping editing, who knows, but it's there.

>We could be seeing a water bottle, but the backpacks are
>much large than that, and the shirtless men clearly are
>not carrying anything on their backs.

The other backpacks could be on the floor, perhaps they haven't picked them back up yet, they don't keep them strapped to their backs while sitting down. Or maybe they all decide not to bring them for some reason like a "show of strength" -- if I remember right didn't Keith and Dicque both not intentionally fail to bring their bags to TC's? My understanding is attending all challenges and Tc's is a hard, fast Survivor rule -- I don't believe "and bring your bag" is one of the same cardinal rules.

>Possibly, but the men pictured leaving
>the TC Area, going down the stairs, are not wearing
>any buffs.

Again, I don't assume these two groups of footage are from the same TC event...

>OK, I'll concede that "stand-ins" is a lazy answer for something
>which we really don't have a good explanation. They may
>be real, but there just seem to be too problems
>when we consider these pictures to from a TC, Merge
>or Challenge.

"Stand-in's" is the lazy answer... the idea of using stand-ins for a split-second scene in the opening theme when either of the first two TC's would have been just as dramatically effective makes no sense. To the best of my knowledge there has NEVER been a Survivor gameplay scene that was filmed strictly for the opening theme, it's always comprised of existing footage.

There's a mystery here... and personally I'm not ready to just shrug the shoulders and move on.

-SB

03-03-03, 02:29 AM (EST)
5. "RE: No Buffs, No Backpacks"
>
>There's a mystery here... and personally
>I'm not ready to just
>shrug the shoulders and move
>on.
>
>-SB

Yes, there is a mystery here, but I am ready to shrug my shoulders and move on...until the tribes merge, at which point I'll come back to these vidcaps and continue this discussion.

Krautboy

Brownroach 15341 desperate attention whore postings

03-03-03, 12:41 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Brownroach Click to send private message to Brownroach Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: No Buffs, No Backpacks"
LAST EDITED ON 03-03-03 AT 12:41 PM (EST)

...the idea of using stand-ins for a split-second scene in the opening theme when either of the first two TC's would have been just as dramatically effective makes no sense. To the best of my knowledge there has NEVER been a Survivor gameplay scene that was filmed strictly for the opening theme, it's always comprised of existing footage.

SB, wouldn't MB want to test how the TC set was going to look on camera, before the start of the game? Like, "ok, grab 7 or 8 production assistants, give everyone a torch and have them march single file down the steps and then walk around the fire pit a couple of times, so we can get a read on the lighting."

Maybe it wasn't filmed specifically to be used in the intro, but MB had the footage from pre-production and decided to insert it for "atmosphere."

What I also think is weird, besides the men being shirtless and the lack of baggage, is how evenly spaced they look in all the caps. And I can't say that anyone resembles an actual contestant.

You might be right, but I'm also inclined to shrug my shoulders for now, and maybe revisit this a few Eps down the line.

PepeLePew13 26134 desperate attention whore postings

03-03-03, 06:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Tribal Council vidcaps revisited"
LAST EDITED ON 03-03-03 AT 06:58 AM (EST)

Likewise, the picture has been bugging me big time and I remain unconvinced that this could be a real picture. As TribalTex said here, MB admitted to using body doubles to refilm scenes in S2 and we've spent hours analyzing opening credit images (my favourite was the theory the native person was a composite of the four people in the final 4!). We also had opening credit images from Thailand (I believe it was Thailand) showing people in there that we couldn't figure out either - and never did find out.

I would be happy to be proven wrong here, however there's just too many unanswered questions as to why there's a shirtless man and missing bags. Yes, it could be something we just haven't seen before on Survivor, a new twist. But why place it in the opening credits? Would MB risk having the spoilers chomp all over this with our vidcapping abilities? Therefore, IMHO, it amounts to nothing. But like I said, I would be happy to be proven wrong and have something concrete to spoil with...just having trouble wrapping my finger around this picture at the moment as a legit one.

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."

ShowMeTheWinner 962 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

03-03-03, 02:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ShowMeTheWinner Click to send private message to ShowMeTheWinner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "Missing Backpacks"
I got a theory about why the men didn't bring their backpacks. Perhaps MB pulled a delayed merge similar to S5 where we have the two tribes living together in one area. The difference with S5 is that BOTH tribes have to vote out a member from the tribe which loses the challenge-- ie. if the men won that episode's IC, they AND the women have to vote out somebody from the women's team. So in this particular vidcap, the men might have won the episode's IC so all of them are safe for the next TC, hence they need not bring their backpacks since they could not be voted out that day. The women, however, need to bring their bags since one of them could very well be voted off on that day. Makes sense? I tried to look at the blurred vidcaps as hard as possible and if I'm not wrong, I noticed that the only people who brought their backpacks are the women.

I think this might actually work on the show to encourage cross-tribal alliances and to prevent pagonging (MB loves this, doesn't he?). So for example, people who might have been in the fringes of the alliances like Matthew, Jeanne, and Christy might actually have a chance to save themselves by allying themselves with the opposing team if they feel that they are next on the chopping block. It's pretty consistent with the suggested spoilers that these people would be going far (I can't imagine any other scenarios where unallied Christy could make it to 4th place). And isn't there some spoiler evidence that Heidi felt betrayed by Christy? I also like one poster's suggestion (sorry I can't remember who) that Heidi might have been Rob's downfall since MB has been playing up Rob's "I love Heidi" comment so much. Can you guys imagine the amount of backstabbings that are going to happen in this scenario?

What do you guys think?

Kathy O'Brien... The Sole Survivor! (I'd rather be delusional)

ShowMeTheWinner 962 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

03-03-03, 02:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail ShowMeTheWinner Click to send private message to ShowMeTheWinner Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: Missing Backpacks"
LAST EDITED ON 03-03-03 AT 02:32 PM (EST)

Kinda unrelated to the spoiler of S6, but just to illustrate my point better, perhaps I could elaborate by using S5 as an example.

We had Shii Ann in S5 who jumped ship from SJ to CG then. We had CG winning the first IC at the first "fake merge". If CG had actually voted together with SJ at that time, we might have gotten a totally different outcome. Ken might have been voted off (or Penny, depending on how successful Shii Ann was in lobbying against her). Then we had CG win the second IC. Can you imagine the kissing up that some of the SJ members had to do to prevent the CGs from voting them off? Teeheehee... I'm laughing just by imagining Penny kissing up to Ted. Come on... don't you guys think that this fits so well with one of the interview's comment where a woman agreed to go naked if the men do her a favor. (I read that as, "if you guys don't vote me off this round, I promise I'll go naked in front of you guys for one whole day").

MB could delay the real merge as late as possible (even till there are 3 people left in one of the tribes), but the jury would still work since the two tribes live together in one camp and all the tribemembers would have gotten to know each other.

Kathy O'Brien... The Sole Survivor! (I'd rather be delusional)

Loree 8616 desperate attention whore postings

03-04-03, 09:57 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Loree Click to send private message to Loree Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
10. "RE: Tribal Council vidcaps revisited"
The shirtless man on the left in blue shorts looks like Rob to me. But they could also be stand-ins.

Maybe the reason for no shirts or backpacks could be a surprise visit to TC. In the past Jeff has shown up late at night to wake the final few players up to go and do a late night challenge. Maybe Jeff goes to the camps late at night and wakes them and tells them to go immediately to TC. They don't know why and they just go wearing what they had on at the time without their packs. They grab their torches and appear at TC to find out what the surprise is. Maybe that is when they are told they have merged and to return to open their mystery boxes and find their new buffs and pack up camp to meet at a new location. It would really surprise and confuse the players to have this done to them at night when they are not expecting it.

lizziegirl 41 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

03-04-03, 10:12 AM (EST)
Click to EMail lizziegirl Click to send private message to lizziegirl Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: Tribal Council vidcaps revisited"
I would think at night, they are sleeping in their pants for warmth/protection from mosquitoes.

If this is real, I think it is directly following a late in the day challenge.

03-04-03, 10:17 AM (EST)
12. "RE: Tribal Council vidcaps revisited"
I like the idea that the merge might literally be a "surprise." I think most folks clearly think that the new buffs or something merge-related is in the secret box that both tribes found, it would make sense that if it is the buffs, they might not get the new buffs until they get back to camp and open the box. And we were told that the box will be related to some type of "when you least expect it, expect it..." event -- so that would mix well with a "surprise" trip to TC for merger purposes

big idiot 193 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Blistex Spokesperson"

03-04-03, 11:29 AM (EST)
Click to EMail big%20idiot Click to send private message to big%20idiot Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
13. "creating surprise TC visit"
This does not explain half-naked people at TC, it is just a scenario for how to get both tribes to TC for a merge by surprise, i.e.; no spoiler value here, just Rec-Spec (recreational speculation).

Jeff can call both tribes together, collect Idol, give details of "next challenge" but never call it an Immunity Challenge. The challenge would be like an SOS challenge, each tribe performs out of eyeshot of the other tribe.

Here is the twist: neither one wins, each tribe thinks they are the sole loser and are heading to TC. Drama centers around discussion of who will get booted from each tribe.

At TC they bump into other tribe, Jeff explains in cocky voice, "Who said 'Immunity'? I NEVER said for 'Immunity'! I only said that failure to win means a trip to TC" Tribes merge and crap flies because the potential bootees are not booted and are firmly aware of their status.

Yup, just rec-spec. BI

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •