The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Someone on OT has to know........"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

04-28-10, 01:05 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Someone on OT has to know........"
I hope everyone knows to keep a very close watch on your bank accounts; and if you have elderly relatives make sure someone is watching for them.

I want to know if anyone knows who to call or contact about these kinds of scams. I don't think this is something the BBB would handle. It sounds like bank fraud, but I'm not sure.
There must be some way to stop this kind of thing from happening - and I don't mean just changing her account number - I mean these people need to be caught and prosecuted.

Most seniors are on limited incomes and it makes me sick that there are people who are taking advantage of them like this!

So, OT..... what have you got?

Here's my experiences with these scammers:

About once a year, some company will try to use an ACH to get money from Moma's account. Once it was a company who was trying to get the annual payment for her NACO maintenance dues; she had actually given them her account #, but we stopped that one anyway.

We have told her to NEVER give her bank account number to anyone - but at age 80 & suffering aphasia from a stroke 5 years ago, she can be convinced by slick crooks to give it up & of course when I ask she always says no she hasn't given her number to anyone. It could be possible that only one got the number & they use it with various things.

Fortunately, our local bank is small (6 branches - all in this county) and they have her account set on an alert & call me whenever this happens & we can always tell them that no we have not authorized an ACH and to deny paying it.

A couple of months ago they called; they had a phone number & even the bank routing number that was to receive the payment. I called that bank, but the account was set up in come kind of receiving account so I didn't get far.

The call yesterday - $289.97 - was to go to a company named FirstAlertBenefits. 888-363-8701.
After calling the number several times & leaving my name & number to be called back, I used a site that can tell you who owns a toll free number that shows up as "unknown" on caller ID. http://800notes.com/Area-Code.aspx/1-888/2
I found some very interesting comments from lots of people who have been scammed by this company.
Then I found their web site.
http://firstalertbenefits.com/index.html
Apparently they offer some kind of medical benefits - $289.97 a year.
The same phone number is listed as a contact. There is an email address that I haven't tried yet.
When I clicked to "enroll" (just to see what I'd get), I got a "untrusted connection" message so jumped right out of there.

Today I called the number again at 10:32 and was still listening to music at 11:32 (yesterday I was given a chance to leave a message; today I was not). I got disconnected when I had to put it on hold to go out in the shop - just my luck someone probably answered during that time and hung up.

Long story I know. I'm disgusted & mad enough to spend a lot of time & energy trying to fight these kinds of crooks.

Handcrafted by RollDdice

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Someone on OT has to know......... Tummy 04-28-10 1
 RE: Someone on OT has to know......... weltek 04-28-10 2
   RE: Someone on OT has to know......... jbug 04-28-10 3
       RE: Someone on OT has to know......... weltek 04-28-10 4
           RE: Someone on OT has to know......... jbug 04-28-10 5
 RE: Someone on OT has to know......... kidflash212 04-28-10 6
 RE: Someone on OT has to know......... cahaya 04-28-10 7
 RE: Someone on OT has to know......... Starshine 04-29-10 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

Tummy 3542 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Thong Contest Judge"

04-28-10, 02:46 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Tummy Click to send private message to Tummy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Someone on OT has to know........"
I finally got my mother to let me set her up with online banking. I figure if she learns now she'll be more familiar with it as she ages and things won't freak her out quite so bad. So far we all have been scam free for a long time, knock on wood.

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-10, 03:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Someone on OT has to know........"
The BBB, your local police station and State Dept. of Commerce are the people that might care enough to listen. We often get media alerts if a scam company is going around your area trying to sell people something. This sounds like it might be the case with the first alert place.

As you seem to know, it's likely these people got permission to charge her account from your mother. Here is a good place to start raising a stink about this company:
http://www.usa.gov/Citizen/Topics/Internet_Fraud.shtml

-A Tribetastic Creation

04-28-10, 03:12 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Someone on OT has to know........"
LAST EDITED ON 04-28-10 AT 03:17 PM (EST)

I'm going there right now.
TY!

Okay, that was linked to internet fraud; but....
I might still find where I need to go from there.

I'm not actually sure she gave this company her information.
I checked her caller ID. The only recent call on there that I recognize was yesterday morning, & she told me it was someone wanting a political donation & she hung up.

That's a whole different soap box. What is the 'do not call' registry for if all these calls still come thru?

weltek 16936 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-10, 03:21 PM (EST)
Click to EMail weltek Click to send private message to weltek Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Someone on OT has to know........"
The consumer complaint form includes telemarketers, not just internet based.

-A Tribetastic Creation

04-28-10, 04:55 PM (EST)
5. "RE: Someone on OT has to know........"
You? are sooooooo goooood. TY

kidflash212 5051 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-10, 05:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail kidflash212 Click to send private message to kidflash212 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Someone on OT has to know........"
Most states have someplace to report financial exploitation of the elderly. Check with your states Attorney General's office. It is a crime and should be reported.

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

04-28-10, 07:15 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Someone on OT has to know........"
Scam, spam, scam, spam.

On the lam.

Starshine 5033 desperate attention whore postings

04-29-10, 01:09 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Starshine Click to send private message to Starshine Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Someone on OT has to know........"
Some people really are beneath contempt

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •