The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Poor Santa!"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

mrc 10113 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-17-09, 04:47 PM (EST)
Click to EMail mrc Click to send private message to mrc Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Poor Santa!"
Like Charles Barkley, he didn't ask to be a role model.

WITH his portly belly and a fondness for a brandy-fuelled spin on the sleigh, Santa Claus is hardly the picture of health or safety.

Now his wild ways are catching up with him, with calls for a radical overhaul of his bad boy image. A study by Monash University public health expert Dr Nathan Grills found Santa could be promoting obesity, speeding and drink-driving, and damaging millions of lives.

The childhood legend should be used to promote a healthy lifestyle, the study, published in the British Medical Journal, found.

It suggested Santa slim down by ditching the cookies, mince pies and milk, and instead snacking on his reindeers' carrots and celery sticks. Santa also should trade in the sleigh for a bike or throw his sack over his shoulder and hit the global road on foot.

It could also put Santa at risk of drink-driving, given that he visits billions of houses and takes a tipple at each.

His reckless behaviour could also encourage extreme sports such as roof surfing and chimney jumping - not to mention speeding.

At the very least he should buckle up or don a helmet, the study says.

Santa also has the potential to spread infectious diseases, the review warns. If he sneezes or coughs around 10 times a day, all the children who sit on his lap may end up with swine flu.

Dr Grills denied he was a "public health scrooge".

"I wouldn't go as far as saying that Santa causes obesity - it's more about raising wider issues around advertising and public health," he said.

"Christmas is about a loving and giving. I would like to see us reclaim that part of Santa, not seeing him used as a pawn in a marketing campaign."

Food & Nutrition Australia dietitian Sharon Natoli agreed that pictures of Santa drinking and smoking were inappropriate. But she added: "I think it's going a bit far to suggest Santa slim down as he is an international icon rather than a role model."

She said a healthy lifestyle was more important in terms of longevity than simply being slim.

Dr Grills wants a public debate on whether Santa's image should be used to sell products such as alcohol and unhealthy foods.

A study of American school kids shows Santa Claus is the only fictional character more highly recognised than Ronald McDonald.

Given Santa's popularity Dr Grills argues that "Santa only needs to affect health by 0.1 per cent to damage millions of lives".

Nutritionist Zoe Bingley-Pullin said Santa Claus should be a protected brand not used to promote unhealthy food and alcohol.

But she warned against becoming the fun police and picking on every person who didn't fit a certain image.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/the-other-side/santa-a-health-hazard/story-e6frfhk6-1225811511670?from=public_rss

A Slice of Us for the Rest of Us

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Poor Santa! cahaya 12-17-09 1
 RE: Poor Santa! Estee 12-17-09 2
 RE: Poor Santa! qwertypie 12-18-09 3
   RE: Poor Santa! Molaholic 12-18-09 4
   Too Late.. foonermints 12-20-09 5

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

cahaya 19891 desperate attention whore postings

12-17-09, 05:55 PM (EST)
Click to EMail cahaya Click to send private message to cahaya Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Poor Santa!"
Scrooge.

Smurfy snowy holiday present by agman

Grinch even.

Estee 57126 desperate attention whore postings

12-17-09, 06:00 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Estee Click to send private message to Estee Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Poor Santa!"
And thus Dr. Nathan Grills was added to the People The World Is Better Off Without list.

qwertypie 9776 desperate attention whore postings

12-18-09, 10:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Poor Santa!"
I knbow someone who is getting a lump of coal in his stocking.

Oh wait, that contributes to global warming and air particulate pollution. Never mind.

Molaholic 9015 desperate attention whore postings

12-18-09, 11:07 AM (EST)
Click to EMail Molaholic Click to send private message to Molaholic Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "RE: Poor Santa!"
I know someone who is getting a lump of coal in his stocking.

Hey, after a couple of million years that lump of coal will be a diamond...

foonermints 14531 desperate attention whore postings

12-20-09, 03:08 PM (EST)
Click to EMail foonermints Click to send private message to foonermints Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "Too Late.."

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •