The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"What lie did you tell to get out of"
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Off-Topic Forum (Protected)
Original message

Snidget 44369 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

09-15-09, 01:56 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"What lie did you tell to get out of"
showing your report card to your parents? (or anything else)

I don't remember ever being handed one to take home. Usually they came by mail and I never got to open them before my folks got a hold of it.

This kid perhaps got a bit too creative, and I suspect the BB cast recruiters will be tracking him down if the show lasts another 10 years.

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2009/09/15/boy-with-bad-report-card-makes-up-kidnapping-story/

“The kid was coming home from school when he was supposedly kidnapped by a guy driving by in a red car,” Roberts explained. “He basically said a white male driving a red beat-up car grabbed him and forced him in the vehicle. He saw a black revolver. The driver said I’m going to take you somewhere and kill you.”

According to the police, the boy said he then jumped out of the car and ran back to his grandparents’ house. The family contacted the police who began an intensive manhunt for the suspect. Authorities also issued a B.O.L.O. (be on the look out).

But after interviewing the boy, investigators became wary of his story. Roberts said the boy claimed he couldn’t get his schoolbag from the car, yet he was able to retrieve a musical instrument from the vehicle.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: What lie did you tell to get ou... jbug 09-15-09 1
   RE: What lie did you tell to get ou... Snidget 09-15-09 2
       RE: What lie did you tell to get ou... jbug 09-15-09 3
           RE: What lie did you tell to get ou... jbug 09-15-09 4
               RE: What lie did you tell to get ou... Snidget 09-15-09 5
           RE: What lie did you tell to get ou... frodis 09-15-09 7
               RE: What lie did you tell to get ou... jbug 09-15-09 8
                   RE: What lie did you tell to get ou... frodis 09-15-09 14
               RE: What lie did you tell to get ou... PepeLePew13 09-15-09 11
 RE: What lie did you tell to get ou... Scuba Steve 09-15-09 6
   RE: What lie did you tell to get ou... Sunny_Bunny 09-15-09 9
       RE: What lie did you tell to get ou... Snidget 09-15-09 10
           RE: What lie did you tell to get ou... PepeLePew13 09-15-09 12
               RE: What lie did you tell to get ou... Snidget 09-15-09 13
                   RE: What lie did you tell to get ou... Sunny_Bunny 09-15-09 16
           RE: What lie did you tell to get ou... Sunny_Bunny 09-15-09 15
 RE: What lie did you tell to get ou... qwertypie 09-15-09 17

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

jbug 17146 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-09, 02:23 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: What lie did you tell to get out of"
We were always handed our report cards to take home; but I'm pretty old so.....

Mailing report cards sounds like a huge expense - and a waste of money! Parents should be sent a calendar for the school year so they know when to expect the cards to come home.

So, what punishment do you think would be appropriate for this kid?
(for telling the story; not for the bad report card)

Agman 2009

09-15-09, 02:32 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Snidget Click to send private message to Snidget Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: What lie did you tell to get out of"
If he was my kid I'd probably try to work something out with the police department where he had to wash the car of every cop that wasted time looking for his abductor.

We didn't have to get ours signed and returned like some places I hear still say you have to do so they didn't have all those hours of someone tracking that they actually came back and making copy after copy for the kids that had dogs, cats, squirrels and birds that just couldn't resist eating them.

We had huge schools so tracking stuff down to make sure it came back and each kid actually was there on the day they were given out, etc. would have gotten costly as well. We had enough kids in the district that those machines that print them all off in the rip the edges off to open things things in the right order to get the cheap bulk mail was worth getting. A lot of stuff (like class schedules and all that) all came like that.

I don't know when they automated/computerized all that but I don't recall it not being that way so at least from the early 1970's.

Elementary school they might have gotten them at the parent teacher conference. I know I never had to hand one over.

09-15-09, 02:51 PM (EST)
Click to EMail jbug Click to send private message to jbug Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: What lie did you tell to get out of"
Moma saved every one of our report cards.
On every one, the teachers wrote the grades in by hand, and wrote a personal note on the back.
Even the front with our name, grade, year,etc was hand written
Our parents had to sign them and we turned them back in. There was a space for parents to write a not back too if they wanted.

I'm an oldie but a goodie!

Our school averaged 30 to 40 students per grade. That's what you get for living in the country

09-15-09, 02:54 PM (EST)
4. "RE: What lie did you tell to get out of"
Back to add that it would never have occurred to me to not give my report card to my parents (course I never had a bad grade so.... )
But then I never considered skipping school either - or even a class. The school being as small as it was, everyone knew everyone and it would be too easy for the teacher to run into your parent at the store or church.

09-15-09, 03:06 PM (EST)
5. "RE: What lie did you tell to get out of"
I skipped on Senior Skip Day.

The principal told us to. Well not quite exactly. He said he couldn't condone it, and the school board says we can't do it, but the teachers really appreciated it when the knew which day it was going to be so if we could let him know without really letting him know and if everyone would be so kind as to not to show up because the teachers really could use the extra time at the end of the year to prepare finals and get their grading done and having to babysit the few people that won't skip on Senior skip day keeps them from getting something productive done and makes them grumpy and even the principal doesn't want to deal with grumpy teachers so close to the end of the year.

But officially, they don't condone it, and we shouldn't do it, but it would make everyone a lot happier if it just kinda happened on a universal basis and they knew when it was going to be.

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-15-09, 03:59 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: What lie did you tell to get out of"
I'm not old and I don't live in the country, and my grade school report cards were hand written and handed out to us to bring home to show our parents.

We had to have our parents sign the envelope and bring that back, not the actual report card. The same envelope was re-used every report card period, maybe to compare the signatures (but probably to save on envelopes.)

09-15-09, 04:16 PM (EST)
8. "RE: What lie did you tell to get out of"
So with 6 or 8 (?) reporting periods during the school year, you ended up with 6 or 8 report cards?
Were the grades for the previous period filled in so that at the end of the year all grades were on the final card?

frodis 4442 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Jerry Springer Show Guest"

09-15-09, 05:02 PM (EST)
Click to EMail frodis Click to send private message to frodis Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
14. "RE: What lie did you tell to get out of"
Were the grades for the previous period filled in so that at the end of the year all grades were on the final card?

Yes.

I only remember 4 reporting periods per year. We got a grade of 1-5 in each subject (where 1 was bad and 5 was good). Then there was a section on the report card for general stuff like behavior and penmanship and other stuff I can't remember. In that section we'd get either a check (average), check plus (yay!) or check minus (boo.) Then there was a section for written comments.

The final report card of the year would have "Promoted to grade 4" (or applicable) written on the envelope. I remember being nervous every year that I wouldn't be promoted even though there wasn't a single reason that I should have been nervous since I was a good student. For some reason I always had the sinking feeling that if anything could have held me back someone would find it and not promote me. Like if I missed dotting an i somewhere during the year.

PepeLePew13 26135 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-09, 04:40 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
11. "RE: What lie did you tell to get out of"
Our kids currently use that system. Three times a year, they bring the report card home in the same envelope and we review it, fill out a sheet with our comments, observations, discussion with children about their feelings on the subjects covered and any other info we'd like to share, then send it back to the school in the envelope.

This way, they know if a child has brought the report card home or not - if there's no sheet signed by the parents, they follow up on it to see what's going on.

Scuba Steve 1644 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Peanut Festival Grand Marshall"

09-15-09, 03:24 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Scuba%20Steve Click to send private message to Scuba%20Steve Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: What lie did you tell to get out of"
I tried to change a F into a B.

It didn't work.

Sunny_Bunny 5597 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-09, 04:34 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
9. "RE: What lie did you tell to get out of"
We got the handwritten report cards through Jr. High, and then it changed to typed up and given to you by your homeroom teacher.

My Jr. year, I sort of went a bit... um ... rebellious and failed History the first semester. (Ah the divine irony of becoming a History teacher lol) Anyway, the boyfriend and I figured out how to change the F to a B. Of course, Mum eventually found out about the F when I had to repeat the class at Night School the second semester. LOL

Because of this "stage" I went through, (including turning on the British so that I could fake Mum's voice and play hookey) my students can't get away with anything. Heh, if I get a call from Mom or Dad during class, I call back right away to make sure it's true.

Never underestimate a former juvenile delinquent bunny. LOL

09-15-09, 04:40 PM (EST)
10. "RE: What lie did you tell to get out of"
I always wondered about the teachers that knew all the tricks.

PepeLePew13 26135 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-09, 04:45 PM (EST)
Click to EMail PepeLePew13 Click to send private message to PepeLePew13 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
12. "RE: What lie did you tell to get out of"
Same here, I know every excuse in the book and which questions to ask my learners to find out if they're BS-ing their way through a paper bag.

Just yesterday, I busted a learner for trying to wheedle her way out of class with a lame excuse - I simply followed up with the guy she claimed had a "medical emergency" (he didn't), and she ended up spending the next hour in class discussing about priorities and why she needs to stand up for herself -- the other instructor just happened to be giving a personal development workshop on emotional responses and coping strategies! A perfect test case...

09-15-09, 04:57 PM (EST)
13. "RE: What lie did you tell to get out of"
While I was in grad school the paper did a "weirdest excuses your students made up" article.

The weirdest one ended up being true even if the professor didn't believe it until he got home and it was all over the news.

09-15-09, 05:10 PM (EST)
Click to EMail Sunny_Bunny Click to send private message to Sunny_Bunny Click to view user profile Click to send message via ICQ Click to check IP address of the poster
16. "RE: What lie did you tell to get out of"
That actually happened to me in college. It was the May when I had a family member die every week (including my brother who was struck by lightning.) The only reason I told them was because I had papers in various stages of completion and finals coming up. I needed to ask for extensions on the papers in order to concentrate on the finals after I had missed classes.

All of my instructors were extremely nice, as Rob's death made the national news because a Forestry firefighter being killed by lightning in the backyard was just to bizarre to pass up. I do remember the History Chair saying to me "That story ( 4 deaths in one month) is so bizarre, it has to be true."

09-15-09, 05:04 PM (EST)
15. "RE: What lie did you tell to get out of"
Actually Snidge, I knew my own pranks (which are horribly outdated now, but they still show up from time to time) but I was a substitute for 5 years before getting my credential. Students think substitutes are STUPID. It's amazing the things they try to pull even if they had seen me around all the time.

They assume:

1. I don't know the procedures: I can't tell you how many times a student called me claiming to be the attendance office to get a student out of class. First, the office always calls and identifies themselves by name and it is the clerk in charge of specific students (A-M for example.) So, if they claim to be a student aide, all I had to do was ask which clerk they were calling for. LOL, 9 times out of 10 the caller hung up. The one who did try would find that I called the office back to make sure that the clerk REALLY asked the aide to make the call.

2. I don't know if the nurse is at the school site. Yep, they have tried to say they are being sent home by the nurse. All I have to say is that the nurse isn't there, so they need to come back to class until the attendance office calls. LOL

3. I don't have a list of students who can be released for sporting, music, or other events per period. I ALWAYS asked for that list when I checked in with the secretary in the mornings. Not on the list - not getting out of class.

qwertypie 9776 desperate attention whore postings

09-15-09, 05:27 PM (EST)
Click to EMail qwertypie Click to send private message to qwertypie Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
17. "RE: What lie did you tell to get out of"
I made money forging parent notes to get kids out of class in highschool. The best part is once they used my services, they had to continue so the notes would look the same.

And got a friend of mine out of trouble for cutting classes by running liquid paper down the first column of the absences making her 13 (or 21 or 15) unexcused absences look like they were 3 (or 1 or 5). We photocopied the report card and she told her parents that the office kept the originals in the office. She was busted in the summer when the last report card was mailed out, but as she passed all her classes, there really was no point in punishing her. I guess her parents didn't think to bust her for lying and forging.

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •