The Amazing Race   American Idol   The Apprentice   The Bachelor   The Bachelorette   Big Brother   The Biggest Loser
Dancing with the Stars   So You Think You Can Dance   Survivor   Top Model   The Voice   The X Factor       Reality TV World

Reality TV World Message Board Forums
PLEASE NOTE: The Reality TV World Message Boards are filled with desperate attention-seekers pretending to be one big happy PG/PG13-rated family. Don't be fooled. Trying to get everyone to agree with you is like herding cats, but intolerance for other viewpoints is NOT welcome and respect for other posters IS required at all times. Jump in and play, and you'll soon find out how easy it is to fit in, but save your drama for your mama. All members are encouraged to read the complete guidelines. As entertainment critic Roger Ebert once said, "If you disagree with something I write, tell me so, argue with me, correct me--but don't tell me to shut up. That's not the American way."
"Phone Chat with Clay "I know I got robbed...""
Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Bookmark this topic (Registered users only)
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Conferences Survivor Spoilers Forum (Protected)
Original message

fivestarwheezy 958 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

12-26-02, 08:50 AM (EST)
Click to EMail fivestarwheezy Click to send private message to fivestarwheezy Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
"Phone Chat with Clay "I know I got robbed...""
Many thanks to Chlim01 for posting a link to this article--here it is in full. It answers some interesting questions about Clay's view of Ted and Helen.

Living News

No. 2 'Survivor'

'I know I got robbed,' says Louisiana's Clay Jordan, who nearly bagged the $1 million prize on the reality show's Thailand installment, missing by a single vote. 'I played by the rules of the game.'

By Dave Walker
Staff writer/The Times-Picayune

Monroe restaurateur Clay Jordan just missed the $1 million first prize Thursday night, as the "Survivor: Thailand" jury of losers picked southern California used-car salesman Brian Heidik to win by a 4-3 vote.

Two players who'd been coldly betrayed by Heidik -- Navy swim instructor Helen Glover and software developer Ted Rogers Jr. -- inexplicably voted for their betrayer. Almost immediately, Glover expressed regret over her deciding vote. Jordan wuz robbed, in other words. Friday morning, Jordan, who won a $100,000 second-place prize, called from Hollywood to chat about his "Survivor" experience.

Here's our Q&A:

Is Helen psycho or what?

A: Yeah. She is a very stressed woman. She stays stressed all the time. I tried to get her to laugh. After we won a challenge one time, I said, 'We won. It's OK to smile.' She's OK. That's her. I'll accept her that way.

Helen basically admitted on-air that she regretted voting for Brian. Wuz you robbed?

I know I got robbed. The thing that really blew me away was the Ted deal. (Based on hearsay from Helen, Ted accused Jordan at the final Tribal Council of making racist statements behind Ted's back.) I'm really angry about that. I asked him what I'd said at the Tribal Council that night, over and over again, and he couldn't tell me. I asked him last night after the live show, 'Ted, whatever you took, you took wrong.' He couldn't tell me then. I'd rather be a hillbilly redneck (Ted called Clay an "ignorant, Southern, redneck hillbilly" at the final Tribal Council) than an ignorant person like him.

Do you regret not being more diplomatic during the final Tribal Council, at least with Ted, Helen and Jake Billingsley?

Jake, I couldn't. Three days before that deal he came up and we rode around in the boat and all kinds of stuff, and he told me he understood. I guess he didn't want to say I beat him. Helen, I answered the best I could. Ted, I told him I'd answer his question as soon as he could tell me what I said.

What would you do differently if you could do the season over again?

I can't say I'd do anything different. You have to go with what you believe. I played by the rules of the game. I don't live my life that way. I played by the rules of the game. I didn't say anything racist. I'm not a racist guy. You get me wired up when you accuse me of something I didn't do, especially being a racist.

Are you and Ted homies now?

Oh, no. We did an awesome thing together. But I can put it real easy: How many times have you dreamed of your wife and started grinding on another woman? (This is a reference to a "Survivor" incident during which fellow contestant Ghandia Johnson accused Rogers of inappropriate nocturnal activity.)

Was it hard keeping "Survivor" secrets for so long?

Sure. I did come in second. I am proud of myself. Sure, you want to tell people how well you did. That's part of the experience. Believe it or not, you do sign a contract (to keep quiet).

Did you tell anybody anything?

Nope.

Many "reality" TV stars move to Hollywood to pursue a career in show business. Is that in your plans?

Uh, no. I can never say never to anything. I have no idea what might happen. I don't see myself moving to Los Angeles. If something comes my way and it's good for Clay, I can see taking a few airplane trips this way. But I'm from the South. I'm one of y'all. This is not my part of the world.

Are you going to auction off that hat on eBay?

I can't see me auctioning off any of the actual clothes. I have duplicates of things like that, and I'd love to help out the kids. ("Survivor" stuff is being auctioned on eBay to benefit a pediatric AIDS foundation.). They look up to me as I did to Roy Rogers and Dale Evans and Rex Allen. They look at me the same way, so I always stop to take care of kids. I'm dyslexic. My wife does all the reading and writing for me.

So you might do some awareness work for that cause?

Yeah, and let people understand. If I want an autograph, I want them to spell Clay right. If people ask me for a (personalized) autograph, I have to say, 'Please slow down. Don't say, "D-A-V-E." Give me a D and an A. If you give me three, I want to switch 'em. Man, just be patient.'

Which golf iron did you take as your luxury item?

A wedge.

What's your handicap?

About an 11.

Was your reply to the previous question truthful?

Yep. Actually, I think it's a 9.5 on the books. I haven't played in a long time. I shot an 82 the last time out.

During the final Tribal Council, you mentioned some kind of financial difficulty in your life. What were you talking about?

I wasn't sandbagging. It is a fact that I filed bankruptcy about a year before the show. That's come out. (Here, Jordan launched into some details of his bankruptcy that are probably not relevant to today's proceedings, though he concluded his bankruptcy tale by saying, "I felt royally screwed by the courts of Louisiana.")

Does your $100,000 second prize mean that you'll be lowering the price on pancakes at your Monroe restaurant, Jordan's?

Never were high to start with. The $100,000 isn't a life-changing reward. It's very rewarding, though.

Will you buy a new car with your winnings, or an elephant?

Depends on what the elephant's butt looks like. I can see my wife getting a new car.

Will you be adding any Thai dishes to the menu at your restaurant?

I've thought about that. Maybe. Thai food has a very unique taste. We may try it out.

Are soft-drink refills free there?

Yes.

What's your favorite New Orleans restaurant?

I always go to a different place. I'm not a go-to-one-place guy.

What's it like to watch yourself on national television?

That is a weird feeling. You see yourself on video all the time nowadays, so it's not odd to see yourself on TV. But people come by from Greece. 'My mom lives in Greece and she loves you.' Calls from every state in the nation. People come through Monroe from all states and ask for Clay and want his autograph. I tell you, I've heard it a million times from people in the South. 'We're proud of you. You're one of us. We speak our mind. We don't hold any grudges. We're proud of you.'

What's it like to watch your kids watch you on national television?

That's what's fun. Of course, they're getting comments out in the community, too. They're proud of me.

What did your wife say about your vocal enthusiasm over Erin's sweet boo-tay?

Well my wife's is better than that. You've got to understand, this is where editing comes in. There were four guys standing there, and they chose me. She took no offense at all.

Have you seen any of Brian's (Playboy channel adult) movies?

Yes, I have. He didn't give them to me, but we looked for them in the paper and watched when they came on. I was a little shocked. No, I was a whole lot shocked.

Have you seen any of Brian's wife's movies?

What an advertisement, if you want someone to see your wife. 'Come and get it.'

Was your experience on the island accurately portrayed?

They portrayed me as Clay. That's me.

You and Brian mentioned that you first conspired to oust Slidell pastor John Raymond in the very first episode. Did you and Brian form an alliance from the beginning?

Yes. Believe it or not, we made a few comments that first day on the boat while we were paddling in. I liked him. I thought, 'This guy is pretty cool.' It takes two to get to the top. I figured that if we stayed true to each other and didn't play outside the game's rules, we'd make it. The rules of the game are, 'Outwit.' I stayed within those rules.

Do you fear going to hell for your complicity in Pastor John's shame?

No. Hell, no.

What's the strangest thing that's happened to you related to your "Survivor" experience?

Everywhere you go, everybody knows you. And, your name has changed from Clay to Clay Jordan. 'There's Clay Jordan.'

Your wife told the Monroe News-Star that you're not lazy. Would she say the same thing after a couple of margaritas?

I'm not lazy. You notice on the show that only two people were saying that -- Ted and Helen. They weren't a lot of fun to be around. I didn't hang around 'em. I did other things. One of the most amazing things about Ted is, you'd get out there so long and people would be talking about their families and it'd bring a tear to your eye. Ted would laugh at you if you got a tear in your eye if you were talking about family.

Jeff Probst is stuck on this question, but here I go anyway. "What did you learn about yourself on 'Survivor'?"

Fifteen minutes isn't a long time, but go sit down and think about family or friends for 15 minutes. It takes a long time to sit there. Now, me and my wife get up, instead of getting up and getting ready for work, we get up and sit on the edge of the bed and watch 'The Early Show' and drink coffee for 15 minutes before we start getting ready. I can't tell you until you go do ("Survivor") how bad it is, how hard it is and how you want to cherish your family and friends. Nobody takes time anymore.

. . . . . . .

TV writer Dave Walker can be reached at dwalker@timespicayune.com or at (504) 826-3429.

12/23/02

© The Times-Picayune. Used with permission.

Table of Contents

Subject     Author     Message Date     ID  
 RE: Phone Chat with Clay "I know I... FesterFan1 12-26-02 1
   RE: Phone Chat with Clay "I know I... SurvivinDawg 12-26-02 2
       RE: Phone Chat with Clay "I know I... FesterFan1 12-26-02 3
       RE: Phone Chat with Clay "I know I... chlim01 12-27-02 6
 Clay could have won.... BMH 12-26-02 4
   RE: Clay could have won.... katethegreat 12-26-02 5
       RE: Clay could have won.... SurvivinDawg 12-27-02 7
           RE: Clay could have won.... chlim01 12-27-02 8

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

Messages in this topic

FesterFan1 5947 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Playboy Centerfold"

12-26-02, 10:37 AM (EST)
Click to EMail FesterFan1 Click to send private message to FesterFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
1. "RE: Phone Chat with Clay "I know I got robbed...""
LAST EDITED ON 12-26-02 AT 10:38 AM (EST)

Clay got "robbed", eh? That's rich. I'm sure Helen and Ted would have a few thoughts about that theory. I know he thinks that 1 vote (Ted's in particular) stood between him and $1M. I don't think it's that simple, and he really only has himself to blame for not courting Helen or Ted at the F2 TC.

First of all, the only reason he was in the F2 to begin with was because Brian knew he stood the best chance against him. For all his bluster and deflected answers, Brian knew that he didn't stand a chance vs. Helen, and going against Ted would be risky as well.

What was in Ted's head as he was deciding how to cast his vote? Well, I don't know that any more than anyone not named Ted Rogers, Jr., but I think it went something like this. He was looking for a reason to vote for Brian. He was angry at Brian, but he knew that Clay didn't deserve it. So he went fishing. He wasn't going to vote for Clay even if Helen told him that Clay is a big Spike Lee fan and had donated thousands to the United Negro College Fund. He would've found another reason to vote for Brian. It was clear in his TC speech that he felt completely dissed by Brian, but that Clay had no more right to be sitting next to him than Magilla. Petty? Sure. But since when have the jury members cut from the core alliance been anything else?

And as for Helen's remorse, Brian sold her a lemon. But I still fail to understand how that makes him less of a player. The goal is to win. He did so by deceiving EVERYONE. So he won't win Mr. Congeniality. He still played the game better than anyone else on that island. Buyer's remorse on the part of Ted, Helen, and whomever else shouldn't detract from his win, it should ADD to it. It just goes to show how well he had duped them in the first place. Is Brian an arrogant ass? Yep. I wouldn't want to be his bud. But he's an arrogant ass who walked away a whole lot richer.

I don't think Clay has much reason to grouse. Just because his ruses didn't work as well as Brian's is no reason to be bitter. He lost to the more worthy opponent. If anyone was truly "robbed", it was Helen and (to a lesser extent) Ted. Clay is laboring under the misconception that he "beat" Ted. Nope. Brian "beat" Ted by choosing Clay, and conning Helen and Jan to go along with him. Big difference.

Clay, take your $100K and be happy.

Fester

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

12-26-02, 10:45 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
2. "RE: Phone Chat with Clay "I know I got robbed...""
I understand why Clay felt he got robbed, even if others don't think he was robbed.

Yes, Ted might have voted for Brian anyway, but everytime I read something new from Helen, she just contradicts herself again and again and again. I personally believe that Helen lied to Ted about what Clay might (or might not) have said. So if Clay wants to feel robbed, I perfectly understand.

Where Clay messed up the most was with Jake, IMHO.

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

FesterFan1 5947 desperate attention whore postings

12-26-02, 11:39 AM (EST)
Click to EMail FesterFan1 Click to send private message to FesterFan1 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
3. "RE: Phone Chat with Clay "I know I got robbed...""
My point, really, was that there wasn't really any scenario that I could foresee where Ted or Helen would vote for Clay. Maybe such a scenario exists, but Clay sure as hell didn't try to find it.

If Helen had told Ted, "No, Clay never said anything racist," Ted still would've voted for Brian. I'm 99.9% sure of that. Clay wasn't getting Ted's or Helen's vote any more than he was getting mine.

I agree that the only chance he really had was to court Jake, and he failed miserably there. Once again, that's Clay's fault, not anyone else's.

I'm not saying that Ted was right for the way he conducted himself, because I don't think he was. Still, he wanted to lash out at Clay, probably for a while, and was just looking for a reason to call him an "ignorant red-neck". It's pretty reprehensible, actually.

But I maintain that Clay was pretty doggone fortunate to be in the F2 at all. What's amazing is that after the Pagonging of SJ, Ted, Helen and Jan wanted Clay gone. Still, he escaped the vote. So any claims of being "robbed" don't really fly with me.

Fester

chlim01 38 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

12-27-02, 05:55 AM (EST)
Click to EMail chlim01 Click to send private message to chlim01 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
6. "RE: Phone Chat with Clay "I know I got robbed...""
IMHO Clay could have swayed Helen quite easily - it's quite clear her sense of pride is as strong, if not more, as her work ethic. Clay could have agreed with Helen's assessment of him as a lazy slug, but then he should have pointed out that his laziness is not as bad as Brian's calling her, Ted and Jan "lost sheep waiting for their master", etc. If he'd done that there's a good chance CC won't be getting her trip to Fiji!

BMH 845 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Fitness Correspondent"

12-26-02, 01:06 PM (EST)
Click to EMail BMH Click to send private message to BMH Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
4. "Clay could have won...."
IF Clay wanted to win that bad..he should have worked the jury harder..he had the same odds as Brian even better because of how many ppl Brian pissed off

Clay totally blew off Jake and Helen and didn't even give them the time of day..He should have attempted to get their votes no matter how hard it was....

And obviously Clay said something that made ppl think he was racist..it didn't appear out of thin air..I can't see any of them just making it up..it may not have been as serious as some stated..but something happened..Clay screwed up and I am glad he did!

katethegreat 207 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Network TV Show Guest Star"

12-26-02, 08:18 PM (EST)
Click to EMail katethegreat Click to send private message to katethegreat Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
5. "RE: Clay could have won...."
In my opinion, many people, particularly from the North East, think anyone with a heavy southern accent, is a racist. I think Helen branded Clay a racist based upon his "Southerness". I don't believe he is any more of a racist than she is. I don't believe anything happened. She was wrong to tell Ted that Clay said something. She was just pissed off to lose to a lazy, ignorant "red-neck". She was STILL mad at the reunion show - we laughed at her angry face.

Just my southern opinion. Agree that Clay really blew it with the jury.

SurvivinDawg 6816 desperate attention whore postings

12-27-02, 06:17 AM (EST)
Click to EMail SurvivinDawg Click to send private message to SurvivinDawg Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
7. "RE: Clay could have won...."
Before we get into the stereotyping of Southerners or anyone else, let's just remember that Helen has changed her story and contradicted herself several times now. At this point, anything Clay might have said becomes moot because Helen's word can't be trusted any longer. Added to the fact that neither she nor Ted will reveal what Clay allegedly said, we should probably give Clay the benefit of the doubt until some "proof" comes along.

Contradictions don't exist. If you are faced with a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong. -- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

chlim01 38 desperate attention whore postings
DAW Level: "Beauty Pageant Celebrity Judge"

12-27-02, 11:19 AM (EST)
Click to EMail chlim01 Click to send private message to chlim01 Click to view user profile Click to check IP address of the poster
8. "RE: Clay could have won...."
In her CBS chat Helen explained she didn't tell Ted what Clay supposedly said. i.e. Ted accused Clay of racism even though he didn't know what Clay said. And to think he was pissed with Ghandia for doing exactly the same thing to him!

Anyway, given that Helen now wishes she had given the million bucks to Clay, whatever nasty thing he had said to her couldn't be that nasty, could it?

Remove

Lobby | Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic

p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e - p l a c e h o l d e r t e x t g o e s h e r e -
about this site   •   advertise on this site  •   contact us  •   privacy policy   •